Act II
第二场

Scene I A room in Polonius’ house
第一幕 波洛尼亚斯的房子的一个房间

Enter Polonius and Reynaldo
波洛尼亚斯和雷纳尔多进入

Lord Polonius: Give him this money and these notes, Reynaldo.
波洛尼亚斯勋爵:给他这笔钱和这些便签,雷纳尔多。

Reynaldo: I will, my lord.
雷纳尔多:我会的,我的主。

Lord Polonius: You shall do marvellous wisely, good Reynaldo, Before you visit him, to make inquire Of his behavior.
波洛尼斯勋爵: 你将会非常明智地做事,好雷纳尔多,在你去拜访他以前,先去探察他的行为。

Reynaldo: My lord, I did intend it.
雷纳尔多: 我的主,我就是这样打算的。

Lord Polonius: Marry(Indeed), well said; very well said. Look you, sir, Inquire me first what Danskers are in Paris;
波洛尼斯勋爵: 妙哉,说得好;说得很好。你看,先生,先(为我)询问什么样的丹麦人在巴黎;

And how, and who, what means, and where they keep, What company, at what expense;
他们如何,他们是谁,意图何在,他们在何处停留,与谁为伍,他们费用如何。

and finding By this encompassment(围绕) and drift(大意) of question That they do know my son, come you more nearer Than your particular demands will touch it:
通过这个非直接的大致的查问,发现他们确实了解我的儿子,这比你的特定问题能触及到的,你来得更近(了解的更多):

Take you, as ‘twere(it were), some distant knowledge of him;
你可以这么说,就像是,一些关于他的远距离的知识:

As thus, ‘I know his father and his friends, And in part him: ’ do you mark this, Reynaldo?
就像这样,‘我知道他的父亲和他的朋友们,对他也算有点了解:’ 雷纳尔多,你记住这些了吗?

Reynaldo: Ay, very well, my lord.
雷纳尔多:是的,我很好,我的主人。

Lord Polonius: ‘And in part him; but’ you may say ‘not well: But, if’t be he I mean, he’s very wild; Addicted so and so:’ and there put on him What forgeries you please; marry, none so rank As may dishonour him; take heed of that; But, sir, such wanton, wild and usual slips As are companions noted and most known To youth and liberty.
波洛尼亚斯伯爵:你可以说“略微认识他一点,但是不大熟识,如果我说的就是他,他这人可是很放肆,并且最嗜好”什么什么,你可随便捏造一些谰言,可是也别说得太过火以至伤害他的名誉,要留神这一点; 只可说些少年最容易犯的荒唐放肆及其他寻常难免的过错。

Reynaldo: As gaming, my lord.
雷纳尔多:就像赌博一样,我的主人。

Lord Polonius: Ay, or drinking, fencing, swearing, quarrelling, Drabbing: you may go so far.
波洛尼亚斯伯爵:是的,或者喝酒,击剑,骂人,争吵,胡作非为:你可以走那么远。

Reynaldo: My lord, that would dishonour him.
雷纳尔多:我的主人,那会羞辱他。

Lord Polonius: ‘Faith, no; as you may season it in the charge You must not put another scandal on him, That he is open to incontinency; That’s not my meaning: but breathe his faults so quaintly That they may seem the taints of liberty, The flash and outbreak of a fiery mind, A savageness in unreclaimed blood, Of general assault.
波洛尼亚斯伯爵:一定不会;你说的时候可以留点分寸。别再多造他什么谣言,别说他天天的眠花宿柳;这不是我的本意;你要善为措词,把他的过错要说得像是因豪放而沾染的恶习,是烈火一般的脾气的偶然暴发,是血气方刚的普通现象。

Reynaldo: But, my good lord,–
雷纳尔多: 但是,我尊贵的主人,–

Lord Polonius: Wherefore should you do this?
波洛尼厄斯公爵: 你为何要这样做呢?

Reynaldo: Ay, my lord, I would know that.
雷纳尔多: 是的,我的主人,我想知道这个。

Lord Polonius: Marry(Indeed), sir, here’s my drift;
And I believe, it is a fetch of wit: You laying these slight sullies on my son,
As ‘twere(it were) a thing a little soil’d i’(in) the working, Mark you,
Your party in converse, him you would sound,
Having ever seen in the prenominate crimes The youth you breathe of guilty, be assured He closes with you in this consequence; ‘Good sir,’ or so, or ‘friend,’ or ‘gentleman,’ According to the phrase or the addition Of man and country.
波洛尼厄斯公爵: 哼,我的用意是这样的,并且我觉得这是合理的计策,你把这些轻微的过错加在我儿身上,只当做是一件东西稍受了一点什么磨伤一般,这要注意,你便可开始盘问那和你谈话的人,如其他真在上述的罪恶场中见过你所加罪的少年,他一定会和你表示同意的说出这样的话:“好先生”,或许这样称呼,或许“朋友”,或许“绅士”,按照各国各人而异的称呼法。

Reynaldo: Very good, my lord.
雷纳尔多: 非常好,我的主人。

Lord Polonius: And then, sir, does he this–he does–what was I about to say? By the mass, I was about to say something: where did I leave?
波洛尼斯勋爵: 然后,先生,他这么做–他做–我正要说什么?天哪,我正要说些什么:我停在哪里?

Reynaldo: At ‘closes in the consequence,’ at ‘friend or so,’ and ‘gentleman.’
雷纳尔多: 在’在这个结论中保持一致’,在’朋友或者类似的称呼,’,’绅士。’

Lord Polonius: At ‘closes in the consequence,’ ay, marry; He closes thus: ‘I know the gentleman; I saw him yesterday, or t’ other day, Or then, or then; with such, or such; and, as you say,
There was a’ gaming; there o’ertook in’s rouse; There falling out at tennis:’ or perchance, ‘I saw him enter such a house of sale,’ Videlicet, a brothel, or so forth.
波洛尼斯勋爵: 说到“在这个结论中保持一致”,啊,对啦; 他一定和你这样说: “我认识这位先生,昨天我还看见他,或是前天,或是某一天,和某一个人,或某一个人,果然如你所说,他在那里赌博,在那里喝醉了酒,在那里打球吵架;”或是说,“我看见他走进一个做生意的人家”,那便是娼家了,或其他诸如此类的话。

See you now; Your bait of falsehood takes this carp of truth: And thus do we of wisdom and of reach,With windlasses and with assays of bias, By indirections find directions out: So by my former lecture and advice, Shall you my son. You have me, have you not?
现在你看明白了吧,你的假设的钓饵得到了真实的鲤鱼;我们有眼光智慧的人,就是喜欢用这样旁敲侧击之法,迂回的达到我们的目的;所以,你要用我方才讲授的计策去打听我的儿子。你懂我的意思了吧?

Reynaldo: My lord, I have.
雷纳尔多: 我的主,我懂了。

Lord Polonius: God be wi’ you; fare you well.
波洛尼斯伯爵: 上帝与你同在;一路走好。

Reynaldo: Good my lord!
雷纳尔多: 我主吉祥!

Lord Polonius: Observe his inclination in yourself.
波洛尼斯伯爵: 你需要在自己身上观察他的倾向。

Reynaldo: I shall, my lord.
雷纳尔多: 我会的,我的主。

Lord Polonius: And let him ply his music.
波洛尼斯伯爵: 让他弹奏自己的音乐。

Reynaldo: Well, my lord.
雷纳尔多: 好的,我的主。

Lord Polonius: Farewell!
波洛尼斯伯爵: 再见!

Exit Reynaldo
雷纳尔多离开

Enter Ophelia
奥菲利亚进入

How now, Ophelia! what’s the matter?
奥菲利亚,怎么了,发生什么事了?

Ophelia: O, my lord, my lord, I have been so affrighted!
奥菲利亚: 噢,我的主,我的主,我吓得要死!

Lord Polonius: With what, i’(in) the name of God?
波洛尼斯伯爵: 发生了什么,在上帝的名义下?

Ophelia: My lord, as I was sewing in my closet,
Lord Hamlet, with his doublet all unbraced;
No hat upon his head; his stockings foul’d,
Ungarter’d, and down-gyved to his ancle;
Pale as his shirt; his knees knocking each other;
奥菲利亚: 我的主,在我房间里缝制的时候,哈姆雷特王子,他的外套全都解开了;$join

头上没戴帽子;他的袜子弄脏了,$join

不带褡裢,下摆滑到他的脚踝;$join

脸色苍白如他的衬衫;他的膝盖相互碰撞;

And with a look so piteous in purport As if he had been loosed out of hell To speak of horrors,–he comes before me.
他看起来好可怜,仿佛刚从地狱中被释放出来,要来谈论恐怖——他就这样出现在我面前。

Lord Polonius: Mad for thy(your) love?
波洛尼斯勋爵: 为了你的爱情而疯狂?

Ophelia: My lord, I do not know; But truly, I do fear it.
奥菲利亚: 我的主,我不知道。但我真的很害怕。

Lord Polonius: What said he?
波洛尼斯勋爵: 他说了什么?

Ophelia: He took me by the wrist and held me hard;
Then goes he to the length of all his arm;
And, with his other hand thus o’er(over) his brow,
He falls to such perusal of my face As he would draw it.
奥菲利亚: 他抓住我的手腕,紧紧地握住; 然后他伸出了他的手臂;另一只手在他的眉毛上方如此摆动,$join

他像要描绘我的脸一样看着我。

Long stay’d he so; At last, a little shaking of mine arm And thrice his head thus waving up and down,
He raised a sigh so piteous and profound As it did seem to shatter all his bulk And end his being: that done, he lets me go:
他这样停留了很久;最后,他轻轻的摇晃我的胳膊,头部上下摇摆三次,他发出了深深的叹息,仿佛把他所有的重量都落在了我身上,仿佛要结束他的生命:完成这些,他松开我:

And, with his head over his shoulder turn’d, He seem’d to find his way without his eyes; For out o’ doors he went without their helps, And, to the last, bended their light on me.
然后,头转过肩膀,他似乎不用眼睛找到了出路;因为他在没有他们(眼睛)的帮助下走出门去,并且,直到最后,他们(眼睛)的光线都照在我身上。

Lord Polonius: Come, go with me: I will go seek the king. This is the very ecstasy of love,
Whose violent property fordoes itself And leads the will to desperate undertakings As oft(often) as any passion under heaven That does afflict our natures.
波洛涅斯勋爵: 来,跟我走:我要去找国王。这是爱情的极度狂热,其猛烈的力量毁灭自我并引导我们走向绝望的行动,就像天下任何刺激我们性情的激情一样。

I am sorry. What, have you given him any hard words of late?
我很遗憾。什么,你最近给他说过难堪的话么?

Ophelia: No, my good lord, but, as you did command, I did repel his fetters and denied His access to me.
奥菲利亚: 不,我亲爱的勋爵,但是,按照您的命令,我拒绝了他的束缚,并拒绝了他接近我。

Lord Polonius: That hath(has) made him mad. I am sorry that with better heed and judgment I had not quoted him: I fear’d he did but trifle, And meant to wreck thee(you); but, beshrew my jealousy!
波洛涅斯勋爵: 那让他疯了。我很遗憾我没有更谨慎和明智地对待他:我害怕他只是在游戏,并想要毁掉你;但是,诅咒我的嫉妒!

By heaven, it is as proper to our age To cast beyond ourselves in our opinions As it is common for the younger sort To lack discretion. Come, go we to the king:
天哪,我们这个年纪在我们的观点中超越自我,就像年轻人通常缺乏判断一样。来,我们去找国王:

This must be known; which, being kept close, might move More grief to hide than hate to utter love.
这必须被人知晓;如果被秘密隐藏,可能会引起更多的悲伤,而不是表达爱情带来的憎恨。

Exeunt
退场