Scene IV. The platform.
第四幕。平台。

Enter Hamlet, Horatio, and Marcellus
哈姆雷特,霍雷修和马塞勒斯进场

Hamlet: The air bites shrewdly; it is very cold.
哈姆雷特:空气刁钻地咬人;真是冷得很。

Horatio: It is a nipping and an eager air.
霍雷修:这是一种刺骨的而急切的空气。

Hamlet: What hour now?
哈姆雷特:现在几点了?

Horatio: I think it lacks of twelve.
霍雷修:我认为离十二点还差一些。

Hamlet: No, it is struck.
哈姆雷特:不,钟已经敲响了。

Horatio: Indeed? I heard it not: then it draws near the season Wherein the spirit held his wont to walk.
霍雷修:真的吗?我没听到:那么就接近鬼魂常常出现的季节了。

[A flourish of trumpets, and ordnance(大炮) shot off, within]
[随后,内部响起了欢快的喇叭声,大炮连续射击]

What does this mean, my lord?
这是什么意思,我的主?

Hamlet: The king doth(does) wake to-night and takes his rouse,
哈姆雷特:国王将在今晚醒来并开始他的狂欢,

Keeps wassail, and the swaggering up-spring reels;
举行盛大的宴会,然后骄傲无礼的年轻人醉得东倒西歪;

And, as he drains his draughts of Rhenish down,
而当他痛饮莱茵酒时,

The kettle-drum and trumpet thus bray out The triumph of his pledge.
鼓和喇叭就这样吹响他的胜利的誓言。

Horatio: Is it a custom?
霍雷修:这是一种习惯吗?

Hamlet: Ay, marry, is’t: But to my mind,
哈姆雷特:是的,确实是:但在我看来,

though I am native here And to the manner born, it is a custom More honour’d in the breach(破坏) than the observance.
虽然我是这里的本地人,而且就我的出生方式而言,这是一种习俗,违反比遵守更受尊重。

This heavy-headed revel east and west Makes us traduced and tax’d of other nations:
这种醉头昏脑的东方西方的狂欢使我们被其他国家诽谤和课税:

They clepe(命名) us drunkards, and with swinish phrase Soil our addition; and indeed it takes From our achievements, though perform’d at height, The pith and marrow of our attribute.
他们称我们为酒鬼,用粗鄙的语言玷污我们的名誉;实际上,它从我们的成就中,即使这些成就达到了顶峰,吸取了我们特质的精华和骨干。$join

注:“The pith and marrow of our attribute”是take的宾语

So, oft(often) it chances in particular men,
所以常在某些人身上发生,

That for some vicious mole of nature in them,
他们身上的某个恶性痣似的自然瑕疵,

As, in their birth–wherein they are not guilty,
生在他们身上——他们并无过错,

Since nature cannot choose his origin– By the o’ergrowth of some complexion, Oft breaking down the pales and forts of reason,
因为自然不能选择自己的起源——因为某种局势的生长,经常破坏理智的界限和防线,

Or by some habit that too much o’er-leavens The form of plausive manners,
或者沉溺某种习惯,过度发酵了表面上礼貌的行为,

that these men, Carrying, I say, the stamp of one defect, Being nature’s livery, or fortune’s star,– Their virtues else–be they as pure as grace, As infinite as man may undergo–
这些人,我说,带有一种缺陷的印记,是自然的制服,或命运的明星,——他们的美德除此之外——他们像恩典一样纯洁,无限(美好)如人所能承受之那般–

Shall in the general censure take corruption From that particular fault:
在大众的责备声中受到污染,因为那特别的缺点:

the dram of evil Doth(Does) all the noble substance of a doubt To his own scandal.
微量的邪恶让所有高贵品质变为怀疑并陷入了自己的丑闻。

Horatio: Look, my lord, it comes!
霍雷修: 看,我主,它来了!

Enter Ghost
鬼魂登场

Hamlet: Angels and ministers of grace defend us!
哈姆雷特: 天使和恩典之神防卫我们!

Be thou(you) a spirit of health or goblin damn’d,
你是健康的精神还是该死的魔鬼,

Bring with thee(you) airs from heaven or blasts from hell,
带来来自天堂或地狱的气息,

Be thy(your) intents wicked or charitable,
你的意图是邪恶还是慷慨,

Thou comest in such a questionable shape That I will speak to thee(you):
你来的形状如此可疑,我要和你对话:

I’ll call thee(you) Hamlet, King, father, royal Dane: O, answer me!
我会叫你哈姆雷特,国王,父亲,皇家丹麦人: 哦,回答我!

Let me not burst in ignorance; but tell Why thy(your) canonized bones, hearsed(灵车送葬) in death, Have burst their cerements;
别让我在无知中爆发; 但告诉我,为何你的圣骨,安葬在灵车中, 爆裂了它们的裹尸布;

why the sepulchre, Wherein we saw thee(you) quietly inurn’d,
为何墓穴,我们看到你安静地安葬在其中,

Hath oped his ponderous and marble jaws, To cast thee(you) up again. What may this mean,
打开了他沉重的大理石嘴巴,再度吐出你。这可能意味着什么,

That thou(you), dead corse, again in complete steel Revisit’st(revisit) thus the glimpses of the moon, Making night hideous and we fools of nature,
你,死尸,再次全副武装,如此重访月光的照耀,使得夜晚变得可怖,我们这些自然的愚人,

So horridly to shake our disposition With thoughts beyond the reaches of our souls?
如此恐怖地动摇我们的性情,用超出我们灵魂所能达到的想法?

Say, why is this? wherefore? what should we do?
告诉我,这是为什么? 为何? 我们应该做什么?

Ghost beckons Hamlet.
鬼魂向哈姆雷特挥手。

Horatio: It beckons you to go away with it,
霍雷修:它似乎在召唤你,想要你跟它离开,

As if it some impartment did desire To you alone.
就好像它有告知单独给你。

Marcellus: Look, with what courteous action It waves you to a more removed ground: But do not go with it.
马塞勒斯: 瞧,它多么有礼貌地给你示意,让你到一个更远一点的地方去:但是,你不要跟着它走。

Horatio: No, by no means.
霍雷修: 不,决不是这样。

Hamlet: It will not speak; then I will follow it.
哈姆雷特: 它不说话;那我就跟着它。

Horatio: Do not, my lord.
霍雷修: 不要,我的主人。

Hamlet: Why, what should be the fear?
哈姆雷特:为何要如此恐惧?

I do not set my life in a pin’s fee;
我怎会将生命视如儿戏呢;

And for my soul, what can it do to that, Being a thing immortal as itself?
而对于我的灵魂,像它一样不朽的事物能对它造成什么伤害?

It waves me forth again: I’ll follow it.
它向我挥手,我要跟着它走。

Horatio: What if it tempt you toward the flood, my lord, Or to the dreadful summit of the cliff That beetles o’er(over) his base into the sea,
霍雷修:如果它引诱你跑向深渊,或是带你到那硕大崖壁的恐怖顶端,那崖壁越过基底伸入海中,

And there assume some other horrible form,
并在那里变成其它的可怕形态,

Which might deprive your sovereignty of reason And draw you into madness? think of it:
可能会使你丧失理智,把你引入疯狂?你得考虑考虑:

The very place puts toys of desperation, Without more motive, into every brain That looks so many fathoms(水深单位) to the sea And hears it roar beneath.
正是这个地方,把绝望的玩具,没有更多的动机,放入每一个眺望大海的大脑中,并听到它在下面咆哮。

Hamlet: It waves me still. Go on; I’ll follow thee(you).
哈姆雷特:它还在向我挥手。继续,我要跟着你去。

Marcellus: You shall not go, my lord.
马塞勒斯:我主,你不能走。

Hamlet: Hold off your hands.
哈姆雷特:别挡住我。

Horatio: Be ruled; you shall not go.
霍雷修:听从我的,你不应该去。

Hamlet: My fate cries out, And makes each petty artery in this body As hardy as the Nemean lion’s nerve.
哈姆雷特:我的命运在呼唤我,并让我身体中的每一条小血管变得像尼梅亚狮子的神经一样强壮。

Still am I call’d. Unhand me, gentlemen.
我还是被召唤着。放开我吧,先生们。

By heaven, I’ll make a ghost of him that lets me!
我发誓,阻止我的人我会把他变成鬼魂!

I say, away! Go on; I’ll follow thee(you).
我说,离开!继续,我要跟着你去。

Exeunt Ghost and Hamlet
鬼魂与哈姆雷特退场

Horatio: He waxes desperate with imagination.
霍雷修: 他的想象力让他变得绝望。

Marcellus: Let’s follow; ‘tis(it is) not fit thus to obey him.
马塞勒斯: 让我们跟随他;这样听从他并不适宜。

Horatio: Have after. To what issue will this come?
霍雷修: 跟随吧,事情会走向什么方向呢?

Marcellus: Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
马塞勒斯: 丹麦国内出了问题。

Horatio: Heaven will direct it.
霍雷修: 天会引导我们的。

Marcellus: Nay, let’s follow him.
马塞勒斯: 不,让我们跟着他走。

Exeunt
退场