On the 24th of February, 1815, the look-out at Notre-Dame de la Garde signalled the three-master, the Pharaon from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples.
在1815年2月24日,圣母院的观察员发出了信号,通知来自斯密尔纳、特里斯特和那不勒斯的三桅横帆船”法老”号的到来。

As usual, a pilot put off immediately, and rounding the Château d’If, got on board the vessel between Cape Morgiou and Rion island.
照例,一名领航员立即驶离,并绕过伊夫堡,在摩里乌角和里翁岛之间登上了船。

Immediately, and according to custom, the ramparts of Fort Saint-Jean were covered with spectators; —
立刻,按惯例,圣让堡的城墙上站满了观众; —

it is always an event at Marseilles for a ship to come into port, especially when this ship, like the Pharaon, has been built, rigged, and laden at the old Phocee docks, and belongs to an owner of the city.
对于一艘船靠港,尤其是像”法老”号这样在古老的福塞码头建造、装配和装载的船只,而且还归城中某个船主所有,这总是一次盛事。

The ship drew on and had safely passed the strait, which some volcanic shock has made between the Calasareigne and Jaros islands; —
这艘船靠近并成功通过了卡拉萨雷涵和雅罗斯岛之间的海峡,恰好是被一次火山震动所形成的; —

had doubled Pomègue, and approached the harbor under topsails, jib, and spanker, but so slowly and sedately that the idlers, with that instinct which is the forerunner of evil, asked one another what misfortune could have happened on board. —
船已经绕过了蓬梅格岛,并带着主帆、前帆和尾桅航行进港口,但速度却如此缓慢而安稳,以至于无事可做的人自然而然地相互询问究竟船上发生了什么不幸。 —

However, those experienced in navigation saw plainly that if any accident had occurred, it was not to the vessel herself, for she bore down with all the evidence of being skilfully handled, the anchor a-cockbill, the jib-boom guys already eased off, and standing by the side of the pilot, who was steering the Pharaon towards the narrow entrance of the inner port, was a young man, who, with activity and vigilant eye, watched every motion of the ship, and repeated each direction of the pilot.
然而,那些对航行有经验的人们明显看出,如果发生了任何事故,那一定不是对船本身的事故,因为她带着所有的迹象都在被熟练地操作着,停泊在半张帆桅杆上,斜放下去,而站在驾驶“法老号”进入内港狭窄入口的船长身边是一个年轻人,这个年轻人用敏锐的目光密切注视着船的每一个动作,并重复着船长的指示。

The vague disquietude which prevailed among the spectators had so much affected one of the crowd that he did not await the arrival of the vessel in harbor, but jumping into a small skiff, desired to be pulled alongside the Pharaon, which he reached as she rounded into La Réserve basin.
当船上的年轻人看到这个人靠近时,他离开了驾驶员的位置,帽子握在手中,倚在船舷上。

When the young man on board saw this person approach, he left his station by the pilot, and, hat in hand, leaned over the ship’s bulwarks.
这名年轻人一看到这个人靠近,他就离开了驾驶员的位置,帽子握在手中,倚在船舷上。

He was a fine, tall, slim young fellow of eighteen or twenty, with black eyes, and hair as dark as a raven’s wing; —
他是个身材高大、修长的漂亮小伙子,年纪十八或二十岁,有一双黑眼睛,头发黑得像乌鸦的翅膀一样。 —

and his whole appearance bespoke that calmness and resolution peculiar to men accustomed from their cradle to contend with danger.
他整个人的外表都流露出一种从小就习惯于与危险搏斗的冷静和决心。

“Ah, is it you, Dantès?” cried the man in the skiff. —
“啊,是你,唐泰斯?”小艇上的人喊道。 —

“What’s the matter? and why have you such an air of sadness aboard?”
“出了什么事?你为什么脸上带着这样的悲伤呢?”

“A great misfortune, M. Morrel,” replied the young man, “a great misfortune, for me especially! —
“一个很大的不幸,莫雷尔先生,一个对我来说尤其不幸的不幸!” —

Off Civita Vecchia we lost our brave Captain Leclere.”
“在奇维塔韦基亚的外海,我们失去了我们勇敢的船长莱克莱尔。”

“And the cargo?” inquired the owner, eagerly.
“货物呢?”船主急切地问道。

“Is all safe, M. Morrel; and I think you will be satisfied on that head. —
“全部安全,莫雷尔先生;我想您会对此满意的。 —

But poor Captain Leclere——”
但可怜的莱克莱尔船长——”

“What happened to him?” asked the owner, with an air of considerable resignation. —
“他发生了什么事?”船主带着相当顺从的神色问道。 —

“What happened to the worthy captain?”
“优秀的船长发生了什么事?”

“He died.”
“他去世了。”

“Fell into the sea?”
“掉进海里了吗?”

“No, sir, he died of brain-fever in dreadful agony. —
”不,先生,他死于严重的脑热,痛苦不堪。 —

” Then turning to the crew, he said, “Bear a hand there, to take in sail!”
“然后他转向船员们说:“快点收起船帆!”

All hands obeyed, and at once the eight or ten seamen who composed the crew, sprang to their respective stations at the spanker brails and outhaul, topsail sheets and halyards, the jib downhaul, and the topsail clewlines and buntlines. —
所有人都服从了命令,八个或十个组成船员的水手们立刻跳到了各自的岗位上,收拢牵索,松动大帆,拉紧尖帆升降索,松紧前船索,以及各种拉绳。 —

The young sailor gave a look to see that his orders were promptly and accurately obeyed, and then turned again to the owner.
年轻的水手看了一眼,确保他的命令得到了迅速准确的执行,然后再次转向船主。

“And how did this misfortune occur?” inquired the latter, resuming the interrupted conversation.
“这起不幸事故是如何发生的?”后者询问,在重新开始被打断的谈话。

“Alas, sir, in the most unexpected manner. —
“哎呀,先生,以最出乎意料的方式。 —

After a long talk with the harbor-master, Captain Leclere left Naples greatly disturbed in mind. —
在与港务主管长时间交谈之后,莱克莱船长忧心忡忡地离开了那不勒斯。 —

In twenty-four hours he was attacked by a fever, and died three days afterwards. —
24小时后,他被一种热病袭击,三天后去世。 —

We performed the usual burial service, and he is at his rest, sewn up in his hammock with a thirty-six-pound shot at his head and his heels, off El Giglio island. —
我们完成了正常的埋葬仪式,他被缝在吊床里,头脚上各有一个三十六磅的炮弹,就在吉利奥岛外。 —

We bring to his widow his sword and cross of honor. —
我们把他的剑和荣誉十字勋章带给了他妻子。 —

It was worth while, truly,” added the young man with a melancholy smile, “to make war against the English for ten years, and to die in his bed at last, like everybody else.”
“实际上,这十年与英国人交战是值得的,”那个年轻人带着忧郁的微笑补充道,“最后能像其他人一样安享晚年,怎么说都是值得的。”

“Why, you see, Edmond,” replied the owner, who appeared more comforted at every moment, “we are all mortal, and the old must make way for the young. —
“嗯,你瞧,埃德蒙,”船主回答道,他似乎越来越安慰,“我们都是凡人,老人必须为年轻人让路。” —

If not, why, there would be no promotion; —
“否则,升迁就没有意义; —

and since you assure me that the cargo——”
既然你向我保证货物——”

“Is all safe and sound, M. Morrel, take my word for it; —
“都完好无损,莫雷先生,请相信我的话; —

and I advise you not to take 25,000 francs for the profits of the voyage.”
我劝你不要只拿25,000法郎来交易这次航行的利润。”

Then, as they were just passing the Round Tower, the young man shouted: —
正在他们经过圆塔的时候,年轻人大声喊道: —

“Stand by there to lower the topsails and jib; —
“警备队准备降下顶帆和三角帆; —

brail up the spanker!”
收拢船帆!”

The order was executed as promptly as it would have been on board a man-of-war.
这个命令被立即执行,就像在军舰上一样迅速。

“Let go—and clue up!” At this last command all the sails were lowered, and the vessel moved almost imperceptibly onwards.
“松开帆索,拖紧!”最后这个指令下来时,所有的船帆都被降下来,船几乎看不出动静地前进着。

“Now, if you will come on board, M. Morrel,” said Dantès, observing the owner’s impatience, “here is your supercargo, M. Danglars, coming out of his cabin, who will furnish you with every particular. —
“现在,如果您愿意上船,莫雷尔先生,”当唐泰斯注意到船东的不耐烦时说道,“这是您的船上代理人当格拉尔先生,他会向您提供一切详细信息。 —

As for me, I must look after the anchoring, and dress the ship in mourning.”
至于我,我必须负责抛锚并为船戴上丧服。”

The owner did not wait for a second invitation. —
船东没有等待第二次邀请。 —

He seized a rope which Dantès flung to him, and with an activity that would have done credit to a sailor, climbed up the side of the ship, while the young man, going to his task, left the conversation to Danglars, who now came towards the owner. —
他抓住唐泰斯扔给他的绳子,以一名水手应有的敏捷性攀上了船边,而年轻人则去完成他的任务,将谈话交给了当格拉尔,他现在朝船东走去。 —

He was a man of twenty-five or twenty-six years of age, of unprepossessing countenance, obsequious to his superiors, insolent to his subordinates; —
他是一个年约二十五六岁的男人,相貌平庸,对上级谄媚而对下级傲慢; —

and this, in addition to his position as responsible agent on board, which is always obnoxious to the sailors, made him as much disliked by the crew as Edmond Dantès was beloved by them.
而且,作为船上的负责人,这总是让水手讨厌的,这使得他在船员中不受喜欢,而埃德蒙·唐泰斯则深受他们的爱戴。

“Well, M. Morrel,” said Danglars, “you have heard of the misfortune that has befallen us?”
“喂,莫雷尔先生,”当格拉尔说道,“你听说我们遭遇了什么不幸了吗?”

“Yes—yes: poor Captain Leclere! He was a brave and an honest man.”
“是的,是的:可怜的勒克莱尔船长!他是一个勇敢而诚实的人。”

“And a first-rate seaman, one who had seen long and honorable service, as became a man charged with the interests of a house so important as that of Morrel & Son, ” replied Danglars.
“一个一流的海员,一个曾经见过漫长光荣服役的人,如此重要的莫雷尔和儿子公司所需的人。”当格拉尔回答说。

“But,” replied the owner, glancing after Dantès, who was watching the anchoring of his vessel, “it seems to me that a sailor needs not be so old as you say, Danglars, to understand his business, for our friend Edmond seems to understand it thoroughly, and not to require instruction from anyone.”
“但是,”船主回答道,他的目光随着唐泰斯观察着船只停泊,“我觉得一个水手并不需要像你说的那么老,当格拉尔,才能理解他的工作,因为我们的朋友埃德蒙似乎完全理解,并且不需要任何人的指导。”

“Yes,” said Danglars, darting at Edmond a look gleaming with hate. —
“是的,”当格拉尔说着,向着埃德蒙投射出一丝充满仇恨的目光。 —

“Yes, he is young, and youth is invariably self-confident. —
“是的,他年轻,年轻人总是自信的。” —

Scarcely was the captain’s breath out of his body when he assumed the command without consulting anyone, and he caused us to lose a day and a half at the Island of Elba, instead of making for Marseilles direct.”
仅仅船长刚刚断了气,他就没有经过任何商议就接任了指挥,并导致我们在埃尔巴岛停留了一天半,而不是直接前往马赛。

“As to taking command of the vessel,” replied Morrel, “that was his duty as captain’s mate; —
“至于接管船只的事情,”莫雷尔回答道,“那是他作为船长的副手的职责; —

as to losing a day and a half off the Island of Elba, he was wrong, unless the vessel needed repairs.”
至于在埃尔巴岛损失了一天半的时间,除非船只需要修理,否则他是错的。”

“The vessel was in as good condition as I am, and as, I hope you are, M. Morrel, and this day and a half was lost from pure whim, for the pleasure of going ashore, and nothing else.”
“船只的状况和我一样好,也希望你也是,莫雷尔先生,这一天半的时间纯粹是出于一时的兴致,为了上岸而已。”

“Dantès,” said the shipowner, turning towards the young man, “come this way!”
“唐泰斯,”船主转向年轻人说道,“这边过来!”

“In a moment, sir,” answered Dantès, “and I’m with you. —
“马上来,先生,”唐泰斯回答道,“我马上就来。” —

” Then calling to the crew, he said, “Let go!”
然后他对船员喊道:“放开!”

The anchor was instantly dropped, and the chain ran rattling through the port-hole. —
随即锚被放下,链子嘎嘎地通过舷窗滑动而下。 —

Dantès continued at his post in spite of the presence of the pilot, until this manœuvre was completed, and then he added, “Half-mast the colors, and square the yards!”
当飞行员在场的情况下,但泰斯依然继续着自己的岗位,直到这个动作完成后,他补充道:“下半旗,整理帆桁!”

“You see,” said Danglars, “he fancies himself captain already, upon my word.”
“你看,”当旦格拉尔说道,“他已经以船长自居了,我发誓。”

“And so, in fact, he is,” said the owner.
“实际上,他确实是,”船主说道。

“Except your signature and your partner’s, M. Morrel.”
“除了您的签名和合伙人的签名,莫雷尔先生。”

“And why should he not have this?” asked the owner; —
“那为什么他不能担任这个职位呢?”船主问道; —

“he is young, it is true, but he seems to me a thorough seaman, and of full experience.”
“他确实年轻,但我认为他是一个合格的水手,经验丰富。”

A cloud passed over Danglars’ brow.
丹格拉尔的脸色阴沉了下来。

“Your pardon, M. Morrel,” said Dantès, approaching, “the vessel now rides at anchor, and I am at your service. —
“请原谅,莫雷尔先生,”唐泰斯接近说道,“船只现在已经抛锚,我可以为您效劳。 —

You hailed me, I think?”
您叫我,我想?”

Danglars retreated a step or two. “I wished to inquire why you stopped at the Island of Elba?”
丹格拉尔后退了几步。“我想问问您为什么停留在埃尔巴岛?”

“I do not know, sir; it was to fulfil the last instructions of Captain Leclere, who, when dying, gave me a packet for Marshal Bertrand.”
“我不知道,先生;这是为了履行莱克莱尔船长临终时给我的一个文件包,交给贝特朗元帅。”

“Then did you see him, Edmond?”
“那你见到他了,爱德蒙?”

“Who?”
“谁?”

“The marshal.”
“元帅。”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

Morrel looked around him, and then, drawing Dantès on one side, he said suddenly—
莫雷尔四下看了看,然后把唐泰斯拉到一边,突然问道:

“And how is the emperor?”
“那皇帝怎么样?”

“Very well, as far as I could judge from the sight of him.”
“从我见到他时的情况判断,他很好。”

“You saw the emperor, then?”
“那你见过皇帝了?”

“He entered the marshal’s apartment while I was there.”
“当我在元帅的房间时,他进来了。”

“And you spoke to him?”
“你和他说话了?”

“Why, it was he who spoke to me, sir,” said Dantès, with a smile.
“噢,实际上是他和我说话,先生,”唐泰斯微笑着说。

“And what did he say to you?”
“他对你说了什么?”

“Asked me questions about the vessel, the time she left Marseilles, the course she had taken, and what was her cargo. —
“他问了我一些关于那艘船的问题,问她离开马赛的时间,航线和货物是什么。 —

I believe, if she had not been laden, and I had been her master, he would have bought her. —
相信,如果那船没有装货,而我是船长的话,他会买下她。 —

But I told him I was only mate, and that she belonged to the firm of Morrel & Son. ‘Ah, yes,’ he said, ‘I know them. —
我告诉他我只是副船长,她是莫雷尔父子公司的船。‘啊,对了,’他说,‘我知道他们。 —

The Morrels have been shipowners from father to son; —
父亲到儿子,莫雷尔一直是船主。 —

and there was a Morrel who served in the same regiment with me when I was in garrison at Valence.’”
我在瓦朗斯驻防时,还有一个和我一起服役的莫雷尔。’”

Pardieu! and that is true!” cried the owner, greatly delighted. —
“真的!真是太好了!”船主大为高兴地说道。 —

“And that was Policar Morrel, my uncle, who was afterwards a captain. —
“那是我叔叔波利卡尔·莫雷尔,后来成为一名上尉。” —

Dantès, you must tell my uncle that the emperor remembered him, and you will see it will bring tears into the old soldier’s eyes. —
“但是,你必须告诉我叔叔,皇帝还记得他,你会看到老兵的眼中泪水。” —

Come, come,” continued he, patting Edmond’s shoulder kindly, “you did very right, Dantès, to follow Captain Leclere’s instructions, and touch at Elba, although if it were known that you had conveyed a packet to the marshal, and had conversed with the emperor, it might bring you into trouble.”
“来,来,”他继续亲切地拍着爱德蒙的肩膀,“你做得很对,唐泰斯,遵循了勒克莱尔船长的指示,在艾尔巴岛停靠,尽管如果有人知道你给元帅转交信函,并与皇帝交谈,可能会给你带来麻烦。”

“How could that bring me into trouble, sir?” asked Dantès; —
“先生,那怎么会给我带来麻烦呢?”唐泰斯问道; —

“for I did not even know of what I was the bearer; —
“因为我甚至不知道我所传递的内容; —

and the emperor merely made such inquiries as he would of the first comer. —
皇帝只是像对待第一个过来的人一样询问了一些问题。 —

But, pardon me, here are the health officers and the customs inspectors coming alongside. —
但是,请原谅,这里是卫生官员和海关检查员来了。” —

” And the young man went to the gangway. —
年轻人走向舷梯。 —

As he departed, Danglars approached, and said,—
他离开时,当格拉尔斯靠近说:“

“Well, it appears that he has given you satisfactory reasons for his landing at Porto-Ferrajo?”
“嗯,看起来他给你一个满意的理由,为什么他在Porto-Ferrajo降落了?”

“Yes, most satisfactory, my dear Danglars.”
“是的,非常令人满意,我亲爱的Danglars。”

“Well, so much the better,” said the supercargo; —
“好吧,那就更好了,”船务员说道; —

“for it is not pleasant to think that a comrade has not done his duty.”
“因为想到一个同伴没有尽到责任是件不愉快的事情。”

“Dantès has done his,” replied the owner, “and that is not saying much. —
“达特尼斯做到了,”船主回答道,“但这并不说什么。 —

It was Captain Leclere who gave orders for this delay.”
这是莱克莱尔船长下令延迟的。”

“Talking of Captain Leclere, has not Dantès given you a letter from him?”
“说起莱克莱尔船长,达特尼斯没有给你一封他的信吗?”

“To me?—no—was there one?”
“给我?没有,有吗?”

“I believe that, besides the packet, Captain Leclere confided a letter to his care.”
“我相信,除了信封,莱克莱尔船长还把一封信托付给他。”

“Of what packet are you speaking, Danglars?”
“你说的是哪个信封,Danglars?”

“Why, that which Dantès left at Porto-Ferrajo.”
“哦,达特尼斯在Porto-Ferrajo留下的那个。”

“How do you know he had a packet to leave at Porto-Ferrajo?”
“你怎么知道他有一个信封要在Porto-Ferrajo留下?”

Danglars turned very red.
Danglars变得很红脸。

“I was passing close to the door of the captain’s cabin, which was half open, and I saw him give the packet and letter to Dantès.”
“我经过船长舱门口时,门半开着,我看到他把信封和信交给了达特尼斯。”

“He did not speak to me of it,” replied the shipowner; —
“他没有跟我谈起这件事,”船主回答道; —

“but if there be any letter he will give it to me.”
“但如果有信封,他会给我。”

Danglars reflected for a moment. “Then, M. Morrel, I beg of you, ” said he, “not to say a word to Dantès on the subject. —
唐格拉思思考了一会儿。“那么,莫瑞尔先生,我请求你,”他说,“不要对唐泰斯提起这件事。 —

I may have been mistaken.”
“我可能弄错了。”

At this moment the young man returned; Danglars withdrew.
就在这时,年轻人回来了;唐格拉思离开了。

“Well, my dear Dantès, are you now free?” inquired the owner.
“那么,我亲爱的唐泰斯,你现在可以自由了吗?”船主问道。

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“You have not been long detained.”
“你没有被拘留很久。”

“No. I gave the custom-house officers a copy of our bill of lading; —
“没有。我给了海关官员我们的提货单的副本; —

and as to the other papers, they sent a man off with the pilot, to whom I gave them.”
至于其他的文件,他们派了一个人和港口引航员一起去,我把文件都交给他们了。”

“Then you have nothing more to do here?”
“那么你在这里没有其他事情要做了?”

“No—everything is all right now.”
“没有了,现在一切都好了。”

“Then you can come and dine with me?”
“那你可以和我一起吃饭了吗?”

“I really must ask you to excuse me, M. Morrel. —
“我真的必须推辞,莫瑞尔先生。 —

My first visit is due to my father, though I am not the less grateful for the honor you have done me.”
“我首先要去看望一下我的父亲,尽管我非常感谢您给予我的荣誉。”

“Right, Dantès, quite right. I always knew you were a good son.”
“是的,但唐泰斯,完全正确。我一直知道你是个好儿子。”

“And,” inquired Dantès, with some hesitation, “do you know how my father is?”
“那么,”唐泰斯犹豫地问道,“你知道我父亲现在怎么样了吗?”

“Well, I believe, my dear Edmond, though I have not seen him lately.”
“唔,我相信,亲爱的艾德蒙,虽然我最近没见过他。”

“Yes, he likes to keep himself shut up in his little room.”
“是的,他喜欢把自己关在自己的小房间里。”

“That proves, at least, that he has wanted for nothing during your absence.”
“至少证明了他在你离开期间并不缺少什么。”

Dantès smiled. “My father is proud, sir, and if he had not a meal left, I doubt if he would have asked anything from anyone, except from Heaven.”
“唐泰斯微笑了。“父亲很自豪,先生,如果他连一顿饭都没有了,他不太可能向任何人求助,除了向上天。”

“Well, then, after this first visit has been made we shall count on you.”
“好吧,那么,在这次第一次拜访之后,我们会指望你的。”

“I must again excuse myself, M. Morrel, for after this first visit has been paid I have another which I am most anxious to pay.”
“我必须再次为自己辩解,莫雷尔先生,因为在这次第一次拜访之后,我还有另一个非常渴望去拜访的人。”

“True, Dantès, I forgot that there was at the Catalans someone who expects you no less impatiently than your father—the lovely Mercédès.”
“没错,唐泰斯,我忘了在加泰兰还有一个人正像你父亲一样急切地等待着你——美丽的梅尔塞德斯。”

Dantès blushed.
唐泰斯红了脸。

“Ah, ha,” said the shipowner, “I am not in the least surprised, for she has been to me three times, inquiring if there were any news of the Pharaon. —
“啊,哈,”船主说道,“我一点也不惊讶,因为她已经来找过我三次了,问是否有关于法郎号的任何消息。” —

Peste! Edmond, you have a very handsome mistress!”
“天啊!爱德蒙,你有一个非常漂亮的情人!”

“She is not my mistress,” replied the young sailor, gravely; “she is my betrothed.”
“她不是我的情人,”年轻水手严肃地回答道,“她是我的未婚妻。”

“Sometimes one and the same thing,” said Morrel, with a smile.
“有时候是同一个意思,”莫雷尔笑着说道。

“Not with us, sir,” replied Dantès.
“不是对我们来说,先生,”唐泰斯回答道。

“Well, well, my dear Edmond,” continued the owner, “don’t let me detain you. —
“好吧,好吧,我亲爱的爱德蒙,”船主继续说道,“不要让我挽留你。 —

You have managed my affairs so well that I ought to allow you all the time you require for your own. —
你已经处理得很好了我的事务,所以我应该给你足够的时间处理你自己的事情。 —

Do you want any money?”
你需要钱吗?”

“No, sir; I have all my pay to take—nearly three months’ wages.”
“不需要,先生;我还有拿的全部薪水——差不多三个月的工资。”

“You are a careful fellow, Edmond.”
“你是个谨慎的家伙,爱德蒙。”

“Say I have a poor father, sir.”
“说是因为我有一个穷父亲,先生。”

“Yes, yes, I know how good a son you are, so now hasten away to see your father. —
“是的,是的,我知道你是个好儿子,所以现在赶快去看你的父亲吧。 —

I have a son too, and I should be very wroth with those who detained him from me after a three months’ voyage.”
我也有一个儿子,如果有人在他航行了三个月后还阻止他回到我身边,我会非常生气的。”

“Then I have your leave, sir?”
“那我可以告辞了,先生?”

“Yes, if you have nothing more to say to me.”
“是的,如果你没有别的话要对我说。”

“Nothing.”
“没有。”

“Captain Leclere did not, before he died, give you a letter for me?”
“勒克莱尔上尉在去世之前没有给你写信吗?”

“He was unable to write, sir. But that reminds me that I must ask your leave of absence for some days.”
“他没有能力写信,先生。但这提醒我,我必须请你准假几天。”

“To get married?”
“为了结婚?”

“Yes, first, and then to go to Paris.”
“是的,首先是这个,然后去巴黎。”

“Very good; have what time you require, Dantès. —
“很好,达尔滕斯,你需要多长时间就请多长时间。” —

It will take quite six weeks to unload the cargo, and we cannot get you ready for sea until three months after that; —
“卸货需要大约六周的时间,而且在那之后还需要三个月才能让你准备好出海; —

only be back again in three months, for the Pharaon,” added the owner, patting the young sailor on the back, “cannot sail without her captain.”
一定要在三个月内回来,因为“法老号”没有船长是无法启航的,”船主补充道,拍了拍年轻的水手的背,“没有船长。”

“Without her captain!” cried Dantès, his eyes sparkling with animation; —
“没有船长!”达尔滕斯喊道,眼睛闪烁着兴奋的光芒; —

“pray mind what you say, for you are touching on the most secret wishes of my heart. —
“请注意你说的话,因为你触及了我心中最隐秘的愿望。 —

Is it really your intention to make me captain of the Pharaon?”
你真的打算让我成为“法老号”的船长吗?”

“If I were sole owner we’d shake hands on it now, my dear Dantès, and call it settled; —
“如果我是唯一的所有者,我们现在就握手以此为定,我亲爱的达尔滕斯。” —

but I have a partner, and you know the Italian proverb—Chi ha compagno ha padrone—‘He who has a partner has a master. —
但是我有个伙伴,你知道意大利谚语——“Chi ha compagno ha padrone”——‘有伙伴意味着有主人。 —

’ But the thing is at least half done, as you have one out of two votes. —
但问题是至少完成了一半,因为你拥有了两票中的一票。 —

Rely on me to procure you the other; I will do my best.”
放心吧,我会尽力帮你找到另一票;我会尽我最大的努力。”

“Ah, M. Morrel,” exclaimed the young seaman, with tears in his eyes, and grasping the owner’s hand, “M. Morrel, I thank you in the name of my father and of Mercédès.”
“啊,莫雷尔先生,”年轻的海员眼含泪花,紧紧握住船主的手说道,”莫雷尔先生,我代表我父亲和梅尔塞德斯向您表示感谢。

“That’s all right, Edmond. There’s a providence that watches over the deserving. —
“没关系,埃德蒙。有一个眷顾得上的神。 —

Go to your father; go and see Mercédès, and afterwards come to me.”
先去见你的父亲;去见梅尔塞德斯,然后再来找我。”

“Shall I row you ashore?”
“我划船送你上岸吗?”

“No, thank you; I shall remain and look over the accounts with Danglars. Have you been satisfied with him this voyage?”
“不用了,谢谢。我会留下来和当格拉看看账目。这次航行你对他满意吗?”

“That is according to the sense you attach to the question, sir. —
“那要看你对这个问题的理解,先生。 —

Do you mean is he a good comrade? —
你是指他是个好伙伴吗? —

No, for I think he never liked me since the day when I was silly enough, after a little quarrel we had, to propose to him to stop for ten minutes at the island of Monte Cristo to settle the dispute—a proposition which I was wrong to suggest, and he quite right to refuse. —
不,我认为他从来就不喜欢我,自从那天我太傻了,在我们发生了一点争执后,我向他提议停在蒙特克里斯托岛解决争端——我当时是错的,他拒绝是对的。 —

If you mean as responsible agent when you ask me the question, I believe there is nothing to say against him, and that you will be content with the way in which he has performed his duty.”
如果你问我负责任的代理人,我认为没有什么可以对他说的,你会对他履行职责的方式感到满意。

“But tell me, Dantès, if you had command of the Pharaon should you be glad to see Danglars remain?”
“但是告诉我,唐泰斯,如果你指挥’法洛号’,你会乐意看到当格拉留下吗?”

“Captain or mate, M. Morrel, I shall always have the greatest respect for those who possess the owners’ confidence.”
“船长还是副船长,莫雷尔先生,我将始终对那些得到所有者信任的人保持最大的尊重。”

“That’s right, that’s right, Dantès! —
“没错,没错,唐泰斯! —

I see you are a thoroughly good fellow, and will detain you no longer. —
我看得出你是个非常好的人,不再耽搁你了。 —

Go, for I see how impatient you are.”
去吧,我看得出你非常急切。

“Then I have leave?”
“那我可以走了吗?”

“Go, I tell you.”
“去吧,我告诉过你了。”

“May I have the use of your skiff?”
“我可以用你的小艇吗?”

“Certainly.”
“当然可以。”

“Then, for the present, M. Morrel, farewell, and a thousand thanks!”
“那么,目前先别了,莫雷尔先生,非常感谢!”

“I hope soon to see you again, my dear Edmond. Good luck to you.”
“我希望很快能再见到你,我亲爱的埃德蒙。祝你好运。”

The young sailor jumped into the skiff, and sat down in the stern sheets, with the order that he be put ashore at La Canebière. —
那位年轻的水手跳进小艇里,坐在尾部的位置上,并命令把他送往卡内比埃尔码头。 —

The two oarsmen bent to their work, and the little boat glided away as rapidly as possible in the midst of the thousand vessels which choke up the narrow way which leads between the two rows of ships from the mouth of the harbor to the Quai d’Orléans.
两名划手弯下腰开始努力划船,小艇在千百艘船只中迅速滑过,这些船只填塞了从港口口到奥尔良码头之间狭窄通道的两旁。

The shipowner, smiling, followed him with his eyes until he saw him spring out on the quay and disappear in the midst of the throng, which from five o’clock in the morning until nine o’clock at night, swarms in the famous street of La Canebière, —a street of which the modern Phocéens are so proud that they say with all the gravity in the world, and with that accent which gives so much character to what is said, “If Paris had La Canebière, Paris would be a second Marseilles. —
船东微笑着望着他,直到他看到他跳出码头,消失在人群中,从早上五点到晚上九点,人们挤在著名的卡纳比埃尔大街上—现代的法科斯人以此为荣,他们严肃地说道:“如果巴黎有卡纳比埃尔大街,那巴黎就会变成第二个马赛。 —

” On turning round the owner saw Danglars behind him, apparently awaiting orders, but in reality also watching the young sailor, —but there was a great difference in the expression of the two men who thus followed the movements of Edmond Dantès.
转身后,船东看到当格拉斯站在他后面,看起来在等待指令,但实际上也在观察年轻的水手—这两个人追踪爱德蒙·丹特的表情有很大的差异。