A few minutes after the scene of confusion produced in the salons of M. Danglars by the unexpected appearance of the brigade of soldiers, and by the disclosure which had followed, the mansion was deserted with as much rapidity as if a case of plague or of cholera morbus had broken out among the guests.
在蒙丹格拉先生的沙龙里,突如其来的士兵队伍和随之而来的揭露产生了混乱,而仅仅几分钟后,府邸里就如同瘟疫或霍乱爆发一样迅速地被人们撤离空空如也。

In a few minutes, through all the doors, down all the staircases, by every exit, everyone hastened to retire, or rather to fly; —
几分钟后,人们通过所有门、所有楼梯,通过每一处出口,都急急忙忙地离去,或者更确切地说是逃离。 —

for it was a situation where the ordinary condolences, —which even the best friends are so eager to offer in great catastrophes, —were seen to be utterly futile. —
因为这种情况下,那些在巨大灾难发生时甚至最好的朋友都急切地提供的寻常慰问显然是毫无用处的。 —

There remained in the banker’s house only Danglars, closeted in his study, and making his statement to the officer of gendarmes; —
在这位银行家的房子里,只剩下了当格拉先生在自己的书房里与警察官员做着陈述。 —

Madame Danglars, terrified, in the boudoir with which we are acquainted; —
当格拉夫人惊恐万分地呆在我们所熟悉的闺房里。 —

and Eugénie, who with haughty air and disdainful lip had retired to her room with her inseparable companion, Mademoiselle Louise d’Armilly.
而尤金妮却以傲慢的神态和不屑的嘴唇与她的无所不在的伴侣,路易丝·达尔米利小姐一起退回到自己的房间。

As for the numerous servants (more numerous that evening than usual, for their number was augmented by cooks and butlers from the Café de Paris), venting on their employers their anger at what they termed the insult to which they had been subjected, they collected in groups in the hall, in the kitchens, or in their rooms, thinking very little of their duty, which was thus naturally interrupted. —
至于那些仆人们(这个晚上比往常更多,因为他们的数量增加了来自“巴黎咖啡馆”的厨师和管家),他们向雇主发泄着他们对所谓受到的侮辱的愤怒,他们聚集在大厅、厨房或自己的房间里,对他们的职责几乎没有多少顾忌,自然也就中断了。 —

Of all this household, only two persons deserve our notice; —

these are Mademoiselle Eugénie Danglars and Mademoiselle Louise d’Armilly.
在这个家庭中,只有两个人值得注意,这就是欧仁妮·当加尔和洛易丝·达米利。

The betrothed had retired, as we said, with haughty air, disdainful lip, and the demeanor of an outraged queen, followed by her companion, who was paler and more disturbed than herself. —
订婚的女士像我们说过的那样,带着傲慢的神态、轻蔑的嘴唇和一个受到侮辱的女王的举止退了出去,她身后跟随着比她自己更苍白、更不安的伙伴。 —

On reaching her room Eugénie locked her door, while Louise fell on a chair.
到达她的房间后,欧仁妮锁上了门,而洛易丝则倒在一把椅子上。

“Ah, what a dreadful thing,” said the young musician; “who would have suspected it? —
“啊,这是多么可怕的事情啊。”年轻的音乐家说道,“谁会怀疑到呢? —

M. Andrea Cavalcanti a murderer—a galley-slave escaped—a convict!”
安德烈·卡瓦尔坎蒂先生是个杀人犯,是个逃犯,是个驱逐的囚犯!”

An ironical smile curled the lip of Eugénie. “In truth, I was fated,” said she. —
欧洁妮的嘴角勾起了一个讽刺的微笑。“事实上,我注定了,”她说。 —

“I escaped the Morcerf only to fall into the Cavalcanti.”
“我逃脱了莫塞夫,却陷入了卡瓦尔坎蒂家。”

“Oh, do not confound the two, Eugénie.”
“哦,请不要把这两者混为一谈,欧洁妮。”

“Hold your tongue! The men are all infamous, and I am happy to be able now to do more than detest them—I despise them.”
“闭嘴!这些男人都是可耻的,我很高兴现在能做的不仅仅是憎恶他们——我鄙视他们。”

“What shall we do?” asked Louise.
“我们该怎么办?”路易丝问道。

“What shall we do?”
“我们该怎么办?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Why, the same we had intended doing three days since—set off.”
“为什么?我们之前计划的事情——出发。”

“What?—although you are not now going to be married, you intend still——”
“什么?——尽管你现在不打算结婚了,你还是打算…”

“Listen, Louise. I hate this life of the fashionable world, always ordered, measured, ruled, like our music-paper. —
“听着,路易丝。我讨厌这个时髦世界的生活,总是有规定、有尺度、有规矩,就像我们的乐谱一样。” —

What I have always wished for, desired, and coveted, is the life of an artist, free and independent, relying only on my own resources, and accountable only to myself. —
我一直渴望的、想要的和垂涎的是艺术家的生活,自由而独立,只依靠自己的资源,对自己负责。 —

Remain here? What for?—that they may try, a month hence, to marry me again; and to whom? —
留在这里?干什么呢?一个月后他们可能会再次试图嫁给我,嫁给谁? —

—M. Debray, perhaps, as it was once proposed. No, Louise, no! —
也许是德布雷先生,就像之前曾经提过的。不,路易丝,不要这样! —

This evening’s adventure will serve for my excuse. —
今晚的冒险将作为我的借口。 —

I did not seek one, I did not ask for one. —
我并没有寻求,也没有要求。 —

God sends me this, and I hail it joyfully!”
上帝送给我的,我欣然接受!

“How strong and courageous you are!” said the fair, frail girl to her brunette companion.
“你真强壮、勇敢!”娇弱的姑娘对她褐发的伴侣说道。

“Did you not yet know me? Come, Louise, let us talk of our affairs. The post-chaise——”
“你难道还不认识我吗?来,路易丝,让我们谈谈我们的事情。马车——”

“Was happily bought three days since.”
“三天前很幸运地买到了。”

“Have you had it sent where we are to go for it?”
“你让它送到我们要去的地方了吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Our passport?”
“我们的护照呢?”

“Here it is.”
“在这里。”

And Eugénie, with her usual precision, opened a printed paper, and read:
正如奥热尼的一贯精确,她打开一张印刷纸,读道:

“M. Léon d’Armilly, twenty years of age; profession, artist; —
“年仅二十岁的莱昂·达米利,职业艺术家; —

hair black, eyes black; travelling with his sister.”
黑发、黑眼睛;和他的姐姐一同旅行。”

“Capital! How did you get this passport?”
“太好了!你是怎么弄到这个护照的?”

“When I went to ask M. de Monte Cristo for letters to the directors of the theatres at Rome and Naples, I expressed my fears of travelling as a woman; —
“当我去找蒙特克里斯托先生要求给我写信介绍去罗马和那不勒斯的剧院导演时,我表达了作为一个女人旅行的担忧。” —

he perfectly understood them, and undertook to procure for me a man’s passport, and two days after I received this, to which I have added with my own hand, ‘travelling with his sister.’”
他完全理解了他们,并答应为我获取一份男子护照,两天后我收到了这份护照,我亲手加上了“与妹妹一同旅行”的字样。

“Well,” said Eugénie cheerfully, “we have then only to pack up our trunks; —
“好吧,”尤金尼快乐地说道,“那么我们只需要收拾行李;我们将在签署合同的那个晚上出发,而不是婚礼的那个晚上——就这些。” —

we shall start the evening of the signing of the contract, instead of the evening of the wedding—that is all.”
“但是,尤金尼,你要认真考虑这件事!”

“But consider the matter seriously, Eugénie!”
“哦,我已经不再考虑了!我厌倦了只听市场报告、月末情况、西班牙基金的涨跌、海地债券之类的事情。”

“Oh, I am done with considering! I am tired of hearing only of market reports, of the end of the month, of the rise and fall of Spanish funds, of Haitian bonds. —
“相反,罗伊丝,你明白吗?自由、空气、鸟的歌声、伦巴第的平原、威尼斯的运河、罗马的宫殿、那不勒斯的海湾。” —

Instead of that, Louise—do you understand? —
我们有多少钱,罗伊丝? —

—air, liberty, melody of birds, plains of Lombardy, Venetian canals, Roman palaces, the Bay of Naples. —
这个问题是对一个年轻女孩提出的。她从一个镶嵌有锁的写字桌上拿出一个小锁匣子,里面装着二十三张钞票。 —

How much have we, Louise?”
“二万三千法郎,”她说。

The young girl to whom this question was addressed drew from an inlaid secretaire a small portfolio with a lock, in which she counted twenty-three bank-notes.
尤金尼高兴地说,“太好了!我们足够了。”

“Twenty-three thousand francs,” said she.
“好吧,”罗伊丝说,“我们可以过上我们梦想中的生活了。”

“And as much, at least, in pearls, diamonds, and jewels,” said Eugénie. “We are rich. —
“而至少,用珍珠、钻石和珠宝来说的话,”尤金尼说,“我们是富裕的。” —

With forty-five thousand francs we can live like princesses for two years, and comfortably for four; —
“有四万五千法郎,我们可以像公主一样生活两年,舒适地生活四年; —

but before six months—you with your music, and I with my voice—we shall double our capital. —
但是在六个月之前——你用你的音乐,我用我的声音——我们将把我们的资本翻倍。 —

Come, you shall take charge of the money, I of the jewel-box; —
来吧,你负责钱,我负责珠宝盒; —

so that if one of us had the misfortune to lose her treasure, the other would still have hers left. —
这样,如果我们中的一个不幸丢失了她的财宝,另一个还会留下自己的。 —

Now, the portmanteau—let us make haste—the portmanteau!”
现在,行李箱——我们赶快——行李箱!”

“Stop!” said Louise, going to listen at Madame Danglars’ door.
“停!”路易丝说着,去听听达格拉夫夫人的门。

“What do you fear?”
“你害怕什么?”

“That we may be discovered.”
“我们可能被发现。”

“The door is locked.”
“门是锁着的。”

“They may tell us to open it.”
“他们可能要我们打开。”

“They may if they like, but we will not.”
“如果他们愿意,他们可以这样说,但是我们不会。”

“You are a perfect Amazon, Eugénie!” And the two young girls began to heap into a trunk all the things they thought they should require.
“你是一个完美的亚马逊,尤金尼!”两个年轻女孩开始把她们认为需要的东西堆在一个旅行箱里。

“There now,” said Eugénie, “while I change my costume do you lock the portmanteau. —
“好了,现在,”尤金尼说,“我换衣服的时候你锁上行李箱。” —

” Louise pressed with all the strength of her little hands on the top of the portmanteau.
“路易丝用她那双小小的手拼尽全力按在旅行箱顶上。

“But I cannot,” said she; “I am not strong enough; do you shut it.”
“可是我不行,”她说,“我力气不够,你自己关好吧。”

“Ah, you do well to ask,” said Eugénie, laughing; —
“啊,你问得好,”尤金妮笑着说; —

“I forgot that I was Hercules, and you only the pale Omphale!”
“我忘记我是海格力斯,而你只是苍白的奥姆法利!”

And the young girl, kneeling on the top, pressed the two parts of the portmanteau together, and Mademoiselle d’Armilly passed the bolt of the padlock through. —
年轻的姑娘跪在箱子顶上,用力将两个部分贴合在一起,达尔米女士通过锁扣。 —

When this was done, Eugénie opened a drawer, of which she kept the key, and took from it a wadded violet silk travelling cloak.
这样做完之后,尤金妮打开了一个抽屉,用平时带在身上的钥匙打开,从里面拿出一件垫棉的紫色丝质旅行斗篷。

“Here,” said she, “you see I have thought of everything; —
“看,”她说,“我想到了一切; —

with this cloak you will not be cold.”
穿上这件斗篷你就不会冷了。”

“But you?”
“那你呢?”

“Oh, I am never cold, you know! Besides, with these men’s clothes——”
“哦,你知道,我从来不冷!而且,有这身男装——”

“Will you dress here?”
“你会在这里换衣服吗?”

“Certainly.”
“当然。”

“Shall you have time?”
“你会有时间吗?”

“Do not be uneasy, you little coward! All our servants are busy, discussing the grand affair. —
“别担心,你这个胆小鬼!我们的仆人都忙着讨论这桩大事件。” —

Besides, what is there astonishing, when you think of the grief I ought to be in, that I shut myself up?—tell me!”
此外,当你想到我应该陷入悲痛之中而我却把自己关在房间里时,还有什么让人惊讶的,告诉我!

“No, truly—you comfort me.”
不,真的——你安慰了我。

“Come and help me.”
来帮助我。

From the same drawer she took a man’s complete costume, from the boots to the coat, and a provision of linen, where there was nothing superfluous, but every requisite. —
从同一个抽屉里,她拿出一套男士的服装,从靴子到外套,还有一些必要的内衣,没有多余的,只有必需的。 —

Then, with a promptitude which indicated that this was not the first time she had amused herself by adopting the garb of the opposite sex, Eugénie drew on the boots and pantaloons, tied her cravat, buttoned her waistcoat up to the throat, and put on a coat which admirably fitted her beautiful figure.
然后,尤金妮以一种迅速的方式穿上了靴子和长裤,系上了领带,扣上了背心一直到脖子,穿上了一件非常合身的外套,完美地勾勒出她优美的身材。

“Oh, that is very good—indeed, it is very good! —
哦,太好了——真的太好了! —

” said Louise, looking at her with admiration; —
”路易丝赞赏地看着她说道; —

“but that beautiful black hair, those magnificent braids, which made all the ladies sigh with envy, —will they go under a man’s hat like the one I see down there?”
但那美丽的黑发,那华丽的辫子,让所有的女士都嫉妒——它们会戴在我看到的那顶男帽下面吗?

“You shall see,” said Eugénie. And with her left hand seizing the thick mass, which her long fingers could scarcely grasp, she took in her right hand a pair of long scissors, and soon the steel met through the rich and splendid hair, which fell in a cluster at her feet as she leaned back to keep it from her coat. —
“你等着瞧,”尤金尼说道。她的左手抓住了浓密的头发,长长的手指几乎抓不住,她用右手拿起一把长剪刀,很快,剪刀的刃芒贯穿了浓密绚丽的头发,当她向后倾斜以防止头发沾到外套上时,头发一簇簇地掉到了地上。 —

Then she grasped the front hair, which she also cut off, without expressing the least regret; —
然后她抓住了前面的头发,也没有表现出丝毫的遗憾; —

on the contrary, her eyes sparkled with greater pleasure than usual under her ebony eyebrows.
相反,她的眼睛在乌黑的眉毛下闪耀着比平时更大的快乐。

“Oh, the magnificent hair!” said Louise, with regret.
“哦,多么华丽的头发!”路易丝遗憾地说道。

“And am I not a hundred times better thus? —
“这样不是百倍更好吗?”尤金尼大声说道,抚平了散乱的卷发,现在她的头发完全有了男性的外观; —

” cried Eugénie, smoothing the scattered curls of her hair, which had now quite a masculine appearance; —
“你不觉得我这样更好看吗?” —

“and do you not think me handsomer so?”
“哦,你是美丽的,永远美丽!”路易丝喊道。“那你现在要去哪里?”

“Oh, you are beautiful—always beautiful!” cried Louise. “Now, where are you going?”
“如果你喜欢,我就去布鲁塞尔吧,那是最近的边境。”

“To Brussels, if you like; it is the nearest frontier. —
“To Brussels, if you like; it is the nearest frontier.(去布鲁塞尔吧,如果你喜欢;那是最近的边境。) —

We can go to Brussels, Liège, Aix-la-Chapelle; then up the Rhine to Strasbourg. —
我们可以去布鲁塞尔、列日、亚琛;然后沿莱茵河上游去斯特拉斯堡。 —

We will cross Switzerland, and go down into Italy by the Saint-Gothard. Will that do?”
我们将穿过瑞士,通过圣哥达德进入意大利。这样可以吗?

“Yes.”
是的。

“What are you looking at?”
你在看什么?

“I am looking at you; indeed you are adorable like that! —
我在看你;确实你这样很可爱! —

One would say you were carrying me off.”
有人会说你在带走我。

“And they would be right, pardieu!
他们说得对,天哪!

“Oh, I think you swore, Eugénie.”
哦,我想你发了誓,尤金妮。

And the two young girls, whom everyone might have thought plunged in grief, the one on her own account, the other from interest in her friend, burst out laughing, as they cleared away every visible trace of the disorder which had naturally accompanied the preparations for their escape. —
两个年轻女孩,每个人都可能认为她们陷入了悲伤之中,一个是为自己,另一个是因为对朋友的关心,她们笑得合不拢嘴,一边清理着为逃亡做准备时自然而然带来的混乱。 —

Then, having blown out the lights, the two fugitives, looking and listening eagerly, with outstretched necks, opened the door of a dressing-room which led by a side staircase down to the yard, —Eugénie going first, and holding with one arm the portmanteau, which by the opposite handle Mademoiselle d’Armilly scarcely raised with both hands. —
然后,把灯吹灭后,这两个逃亡者伸长了脖子,充满期待地张望着,并打开了通往院子的一间化妆室的门——尤金妮走在前面,用一只胳膊托着提箱,而阿米莉小姐则用双手勉强提起对称的提箱。 —

The yard was empty; the clock was striking twelve. The porter was not yet gone to bed. —
院子里空无一人;时钟正敲响着十二点。门卫还没有上床睡觉。 —

Eugénie approached softly, and saw the old man sleeping soundly in an armchair in his lodge. —
尤金妮轻轻走近,看见老人正酣然入睡,坐在巡逻室的扶手椅上。 —

She returned to Louise, took up the portmanteau, which she had placed for a moment on the ground, and they reached the archway under the shadow of the wall.
她回到路易丝身边,把提箱放在地上片刻后重新拾起,她们来到了墙边的拱门下。

Eugénie concealed Louise in an angle of the gateway, so that if the porter chanced to awake he might see but one person. —
尤金妮把路易丝藏在门口的一个角落里,这样如果门卫醒来的话只能看到一个人。 —

Then placing herself in the full light of the lamp which lit the yard:
然后,她站在照亮整个院子的灯光下:

“Gate!” cried she, with her finest contralto voice, and rapping at the window.
“打开门!”她用最好听的女中音大喊,并敲打着窗户。

The porter got up as Eugénie expected, and even advanced some steps to recognize the person who was going out, but seeing a young man striking his boot impatiently with his riding-whip, he opened it immediately. —
正如Eugénie所预料的那样,行李员站起身来,甚至向前走了几步,想认出那个要走的人,但看到一个年轻人用鞭子不耐烦地敲打着他的靴子,他立刻打开了门。 —

Louise slid through the half-open gate like a snake, and bounded lightly forward. —
Louise像一条蛇一样溜过半开的门,轻盈地跳了出去。 —

Eugénie, apparently calm, although in all probability her heart beat somewhat faster than usual, went out in her turn.
Eugénie表面上很冷静,尽管很有可能她的心跳比平时快了一些,她也跟着走了出去。

A porter was passing and they gave him the portmanteau; —
一个行李员路过,她们把行李托付给了他; —

then the two young girls, having told him to take it to No. 36, Rue de la Victoire, walked behind this man, whose presence comforted Louise. —
然后两个年轻女孩告诉他把它送到胜利街36号,她们跟在这人后面走,他的存在让Louise感到安慰。 —

As for Eugénie, she was as strong as a Judith or a Delilah. They arrived at the appointed spot. —
至于Eugénie,她像一个贾迪斯或者一个大利拉一样坚强。他们到了约定的地点。 —

Eugénie ordered the porter to put down the portmanteau, gave him some pieces of money, and having rapped at the shutter sent him away. —
Eugénie命令行李员放下行李,给了他些硬币,然后敲了敲百琳窗户,把他打发走了。 —

The shutter where Eugénie had rapped was that of a little laundress, who had been previously warned, and was not yet gone to bed. —
Eugénie敲的窗户是一个小洗衣妇的窗户,她事先被告知了,还没有上床睡觉。 —

She opened the door.
她打开了门。

“Mademoiselle,” said Eugénie, “let the porter get the post-chaise from the coach-house, and fetch some post-horses from the hotel. —
“小姐,”尤金妮说,“让门房从马车库取邮车,再从旅馆请一些马。” —

Here are five francs for his trouble.”
这是五法郎,作为他的麻烦费。

“Indeed,” said Louise, “I admire you, and I could almost say respect you. —
“实际上,”路易丝说,“我很佩服你,我差点说我尊敬你。” —

” The laundress looked on in astonishment, but as she had been promised twenty louis, she made no remark.
洗衣女工惊讶地看着,但由于她被承诺了二十路易,她没有说话。

In a quarter of an hour the porter returned with a post-boy and horses, which were harnessed, and put in the post-chaise in a minute, while the porter fastened the portmanteau on with the assistance of a cord and strap.
不到一个钟头,门房带着一个车夫和马匹回来了,马匹被套上马车,门房利用绳子和皮带将行李箱束缚在车上。

“Here is the passport,” said the postilion, “which way are we going, young gentleman?”
“这是护照,”马车夫说,“小先生,我们要去哪里?”

“To Fontainebleau,” replied Eugénie with an almost masculine voice.
“去丰坦布洛,”尤金妮用几乎男性化的声音回答道。

“What do you say?” said Louise.
“你说什么?”路易丝问道。

“I am giving them the slip,” said Eugénie; —
“我要逃掉了,”尤金妮说。 —

“this woman to whom we have given twenty louis may betray us for forty; —
“我们给了这个女人二十路易,但她可能会因为四十路易而出卖我们。 —

we will soon alter our direction.”
我们很快就会改变方向。”

And the young girl jumped into the britzka, which was admirably arranged for sleeping in, without scarcely touching the step.
年轻的女孩轻轻一跃,几乎没有碰到脚踏板就跳进了装饰得很合理的马车里。

“You are always right,” said the music teacher, seating herself by the side of her friend.
“你总是对的,”音乐老师坐在朋友旁边说道。

A quarter of an hour afterwards the postilion, having been put in the right road, passed with a crack of his whip through the gateway of the Barrière Saint-Martin.
一刻钟后,马车夫被引导到正确的道路上,用鞭子抽了一下,通过巴里埃尔圣马丁的大门经过。

“Ah,” said Louise, breathing freely, “here we are out of Paris.”
“啊,”露易丝松了口气说道,”我们已经走出巴黎了。”

“Yes, my dear, the abduction is an accomplished fact,” replied Eugénie.
“是的,亲爱的,绑架已经成功了,”欧芹回答道。

“Yes, and without violence,” said Louise.
“是的,而且没有使用暴力,”露易丝说道。

“I shall bring that forward as an extenuating circumstance,” replied Eugénie.
“我将把这个作为情节减轻的事实提出来,”欧芹回答道。

These words were lost in the noise which the carriage made in rolling over the pavement of La Villette. —
这些话在车厢在拉维耶特的路面上滚动时被噪音所淹没。 —

M. Danglars no longer had a daughter.
但更换了家产所有人。