The next day Danglars was again hungry; certainly the air of that dungeon was very provocative of appetite. —
第二天,当达恩格拉再次感到饥饿时,可以肯定,那个牢房里的空气极易引发食欲。 —

The prisoner expected that he would be at no expense that day, for like an economical man he had concealed half of his fowl and a piece of the bread in the corner of his cell. —
囚犯原本以为他今天不会花费什么钱,因为像一个节俭的人一样,他在牢房的角落里藏了一半的鸟肉和一块面包。 —

But he had no sooner eaten than he felt thirsty; he had forgotten that. —
但他刚吃完就感到口渴,他忘记了这一点。 —

He struggled against his thirst till his tongue clave to the roof of his mouth; —
他竭力抵抗着口渴,直到舌头粘在嘴巴上。 —

then, no longer able to resist, he called out. The sentinel opened the door; it was a new face. —
然后,无法再抵抗,他大喊起来。哨兵打开了门,是个新面孔。 —

He thought it would be better to transact business with his old acquaintance, so he sent for Peppino.
他觉得使用他的老相识更好一些,所以他召唤佩皮诺。

“Here I am, your excellency,” said Peppino, with an eagerness which Danglars thought favorable to him. —
“阁下,我在这里,”佩皮诺充满期待地说道,达恩格拉认为这对他有利。 —

“What do you want?”
“你想要什么?”

“Something to drink.”
“想要喝点东西。”

“Your excellency knows that wine is beyond all price near Rome.”
“阁下知道在罗马附近,酒是无价之宝。”

“Then give me water,” cried Danglars, endeavoring to parry the blow.
“那就给我一点水吧,”达恩格拉喊道,试图规避这个问题。

“Oh, water is even more scarce than wine, your excellency,—there has been such a drought.”
“噢,阁下,水比葡萄酒还稀缺。今年的干旱太严重了。”

“Come,” thought Danglars, “it is the same old story. —
“来吧,”邓格拉思想,“又是一样的故事。” —

” And while he smiled as he attempted to regard the affair as a joke, he felt his temples get moist with perspiration.
他微笑着试图把这当作一个笑话来对待,但他感觉自己的额头上开始渗出汗水。

“Come, my friend,” said Danglars, seeing that he made no impression on Peppino, “you will not refuse me a glass of wine?”
“来吧,我的朋友,”邓格拉思见他对佩皮诺毫无影响,说道,“你不会拒绝给我一杯酒吧?”

“I have already told you that we do not sell at retail.”
“我已经告诉过你,我们不零售。”

“Well, then, let me have a bottle of the least expensive.”
“那好吧,给我来一瓶最便宜的。”

“They are all the same price.”
“它们都是同样的价格。”

“And what is that?”
“那是多少钱?”

“Twenty-five thousand francs a bottle.”
“一瓶2.5万法郎。”

“Tell me,” cried Danglars, in a tone whose bitterness Harpagon30 alone has been capable of revealing—“tell me that you wish to despoil me of all; —
“告诉我,”邓格拉思以一种只有哈帕冈能揭示的痛苦语气说道,“告诉我你想要掠夺我一切; —

it will be sooner over than devouring me piecemeal.”
这样的话会比一点点咬嚼我更快结束。”

“It is possible such may be the master’s intention.”
“这有可能是主人的意图。”

“The master?—who is he?”
“主人?他是谁?”

“The person to whom you were conducted yesterday.”
“你昨天被带到他面前的人。”

“Where is he?”
“他在哪里?”

“Here.”
“在这儿。”

“Let me see him.”
“让我见见他。”

“Certainly.”
“当然。”

And the next moment Luigi Vampa appeared before Danglars.
于是Luigi Vampa 立刻出现在Danglars面前。

“You sent for me?” he said to the prisoner.
“你找我有什么事?”他对囚犯说道。

“Are you, sir, the chief of the people who brought me here?”
“你是那些带我来的人的首领吗,先生?”

“Yes, your excellency. What then?”
“是的,阁下。怎么了?”

“How much do you require for my ransom?”
“你要我赎金多少?”

“Merely the 5,000,000 you have about you. —
“只要你身上的500万。” —

” Danglars felt a dreadful spasm dart through his heart.
Danglars 的心痛劲道可怕。

“But this is all I have left in the world,” he said, “out of an immense fortune. —
“但这是我世上所剩无几的财产,”他说,“是由一个庞大的财富里取来的。 —

If you deprive me of that, take away my life also.”
如果你夺走它,就连我的生命也拿走吧。”

“We are forbidden to shed your blood.”
“我们不允许流你的血。”

“And by whom are you forbidden?”
“谁禁止我们这么做?”

“By him we obey.”
“是我们服从的人。”

“You do, then, obey someone?”
“那么,你是服从于别人的?”

“Yes, a chief.”
“是的,有个上级。”

“I thought you said you were the chief?”
“我记得你说你是首领?”

“So I am of these men; but there is another over me.”
“对,对这些人来说我是首领;但是我还有一个上级。”

“And did your superior order you to treat me in this way?”
“你的上级让你以这种方式对待我吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“But my purse will be exhausted.”
“但是我的钱包会空掉。”

“Probably.”
“很可能。”

“Come,” said Danglars, “will you take a million?”
“来吧,”唐格拉对他说,“你要一百万吗?”

“No.”
“不要。”

“Two millions?—three?—four? Come, four? —
“两百万?三百万?四百万?来吧,四百万?我将给你,条件是你放了我。” —

I will give them to you on condition that you let me go.”
“你为什么要给我四百万,这件事值五百万?

“Why do you offer me 4,000,000 for what is worth 5,000,000? —
“这是一种我不理解的放款,银行家。” —

This is a kind of usury, banker, that I do not understand.”
“那就全拿走吧—我告诉你,全拿走,然后杀了我!”

“Take all, then—take all, I tell you, and kill me!”
“请将这一切全部拿走,拿走吧,然后杀了我!

“Come, come, calm yourself. You will excite your blood, and that would produce an appetite it would require a million a day to satisfy. —
“来吧,冷静一下。你会激起自己的血液,那会产生一种每天需要一百万的食欲。 —

Be more economical.”
更经济点。”

“But when I have no more money left to pay you?” asked the infuriated Danglars.
“但是当我没有钱再付给你的时候怎么办?”愤怒的但格拉问道。

“Then you must suffer hunger.”
“那你必须忍受饥饿。”

“Suffer hunger?” said Danglars, becoming pale.
“忍受饥饿?”但格拉变得苍白。

“Most likely,” replied Vampa coolly.
“很有可能,”凡巴冷静地回答道。

“But you say you do not wish to kill me?”
“但你说你不想杀了我?”

“No.”
“是的。”

“And yet you will let me perish with hunger?”
“然而你却会让我饿死?”

“Ah, that is a different thing.”
“啊,那是另外一回事。”

“Well, then, wretches,” cried Danglars, “I will defy your infamous calculations—I would rather die at once! —
“好吧,你们这些恶棍,”但格拉叫道,“我会蔑视你们可耻的计谋–我宁愿立刻死去! —

You may torture, torment, kill me, but you shall not have my signature again!”
你可以折磨、煎熬、杀了我,但你们再也得不到我的签名!”

“As your excellency pleases,” said Vampa, as he left the cell.
“阁下随意,”凡巴说着离开了牢房。

Danglars, raving, threw himself on the goat-skin. Who could these men be? —
但格拉发疯般地扑倒在山羊皮上。这些人究竟是谁? —

Who was the invisible chief? What could be his intentions towards him? —
看不见的首领是谁?他对他有什么意图? —

And why, when everyone else was allowed to be ransomed, might he not also be? Oh, yes; —
为什么在其他人都被允许被赎回的情况下,他却不能呢?哦,是的; —

certainly a speedy, violent death would be a fine means of deceiving these remorseless enemies, who appeared to pursue him with such incomprehensible vengeance. —
肯定会是一种绝佳的欺骗手段,通过迅速而暴力的死亡来愚弄这些冷酷无情的敌人,他们似乎对他展开莫名的报复。 —

But to die? For the first time in his life, Danglars contemplated death with a mixture of dread and desire; —
但是死亡?邓格拉首次以一种畏惧和渴望的心情思考死亡; —

the time had come when the implacable spectre, which exists in the mind of every human creature, arrested his attention and called out with every pulsation of his heart, “Thou shalt die!”
现在是时候了,无情的幽灵在每个人的脑海中存在着,它吸引了他的注意,并随着他每一次心跳呼喊着:“你将要死!”

Danglars resembled a timid animal excited in the chase; —
邓格拉就像一个被追捕的胆小动物; —

first it flies, then despairs, and at last, by the very force of desperation, sometimes succeeds in eluding its pursuers. —
它首先逃跑,然后绝望,最后通过绝望的力量有时会成功地躲避追捕者。 —

Danglars meditated an escape; but the walls were solid rock, a man was sitting reading at the only outlet to the cell, and behind that man shapes armed with guns continually passed. —
邓格拉思量着逃跑;但墙壁是坚实的岩石,一名男子正坐在牢房唯一的出口处阅读书籍,并且那名男子背后经常有持枪形态的人经过。 —

His resolution not to sign lasted two days, after which he offered a million for some food. —
他的拒绝签字的决心持续了两天,之后他为了食物愿意支付一百万。 —

They sent him a magnificent supper, and took his million.
他们送给他一顿丰盛的晚餐,然后拿走了他的一百万。

From this time the prisoner resolved to suffer no longer, but to have everything he wanted. —
从此以后,囚犯决定不再忍受,要得到他想要的一切。 —

At the end of twelve days, after having made a splendid dinner, he reckoned his accounts, and found that he had only 50, 000 francs left. —
十二天后,在享用了一顿华丽的晚餐之后,他清点了账目,发现只剩下五万法郎。 —

Then a strange reaction took place; he who had just abandoned 5,000,000 endeavored to save the 50, 000 francs he had left, and sooner than give them up he resolved to enter again upon a life of privation—he was deluded by the hopefulness that is a premonition of madness.
然后发生了奇怪的反应;刚刚放弃了五百万的他,竟然想要保留剩下的五万法郎,宁愿再次过苦日子——他被那种疯狂前兆的乐观所蒙蔽。

He, who for so long a time had forgotten God, began to think that miracles were possible—that the accursed cavern might be discovered by the officers of the Papal States, who would release him; —
他曾经忘记了上帝的他开始相信奇迹有可能发生——被教皇国家的官员发现那可恶的洞穴,释放了他; —

that then he would have 50,000 remaining, which would be sufficient to save him from starvation; —
然后他会剩下五万法郎,足够他免于饥饿。 —

and finally he prayed that this sum might be preserved to him, and as he prayed he wept. —
最后他祈祷这笔钱能够保留下来,当他祈祷时他流泪了。 —

Three days passed thus, during which his prayers were frequent, if not heartfelt. —
三天这样过去了,在这期间他的祈祷频繁,虽然并不是真诚的。 —

Sometimes he was delirious, and fancied he saw an old man stretched on a pallet; —
有时他发了烧,幻想着看到一个躺在床上的老人; —

he, also, was dying of hunger.
他也正在饿死。

On the fourth, he was no longer a man, but a living corpse. —
第四天,他已经不再是一个人,而是一个活死人。 —

He had picked up every crumb that had been left from his former meals, and was beginning to eat the matting which covered the floor of his cell. —
他捡起了以前饭菜留下的每一颗碎屑,开始吃起了地板上的草席。 —

Then he entreated Peppino, as he would a guardian angel, to give him food; —
然后他请求佩皮诺,就像求一个守护天使一样,给他食物; —

he offered him 1,000 francs for a mouthful of bread. But Peppino did not answer. —
他为一口面包提出了1000法郎的报酬。但佩皮诺没有回答。 —

On the fifth day he dragged himself to the door of the cell.
第五天他拖着自己走到了牢房的门口。

“Are you not a Christian?” he said, falling on his knees. —
“你难道不是个基督徒吗?”他跪在地上说。 —

“Do you wish to assassinate a man who, in the eyes of Heaven, is a brother? —
“你想要谋杀一个在天堂眼里是兄弟的人吗? —

Oh, my former friends, my former friends! —
“哦,我的以前的朋友们,我的以前的朋友们! —

” he murmured, and fell with his face to the ground. —
”他喃喃自语着,脸朝下倒了下去。 —

Then rising in despair, he exclaimed, “The chief, the chief!”
然后他绝望地站起来,呼喊道,“首领,首领!”

“Here I am,” said Vampa, instantly appearing; “what do you want?”
“在这儿。”凡帕立刻出现了,“你要什么?”

“Take my last gold,” muttered Danglars, holding out his pocket-book, “and let me live here; —
“拿走我最后的一点金子,”唐格拉斯嘟囔着递出钱包,“让我在这里活下去; —

I ask no more for liberty—I only ask to live!”
我只求不再受限制——我只求活着!”

“Then you suffer a great deal?”
“那你是受了很多痛苦?”

“Oh, yes, yes, cruelly!”
“哦,是的,是的,非常残忍!”

“Still, there have been men who suffered more than you.”
“然而,还有一些人受过比你更多的苦。”

“I do not think so.”
“我不这么认为。”

“Yes; those who have died of hunger.”
“是的;那些死于饥饿的人。”

Danglars thought of the old man whom, in his hours of delirium, he had seen groaning on his bed. —
当唐格拉斯想起他在疯狂的时候看到的那个床上呻吟的老人时,他的头撞到了地上,呻吟起来。 —

He struck his forehead on the ground and groaned. —
“是的,”他说,“肯定有些人比我受过更多的苦,但他们至少是殉道者。” —

“Yes,” he said, “there have been some who have suffered more than I have, but then they must have been martyrs at least.”
“你后悔了吗?”一个低沉、肃穆的声音问道,让唐格拉斯的头发竖了起来。

“Do you repent?” asked a deep, solemn voice, which caused Danglars’ hair to stand on end. —
“我后悔了。” —

His feeble eyes endeavored to distinguish objects, and behind the bandit he saw a man enveloped in a cloak, half lost in the shadow of a stone column.
他虚弱的眼睛努力辨别物体,在土匪后面,他看到一个身披斗篷的男人,半躲在石柱的阴影中。

“Of what must I repent?” stammered Danglars.
“我必须忏悔什么?”当格拉尔结结巴巴地说。

“Of the evil you have done,” said the voice.
“你所做的邪恶事情。”声音说道。

“Oh, yes; oh, yes, I do indeed repent.” And he struck his breast with his emaciated fist.
“哦,是的,是的,我确实忏悔。”他用消瘦的拳头击打胸口。

“Then I forgive you,” said the man, dropping his cloak, and advancing to the light.
“那么我原谅你。”那个人说着,解开斗篷,走向光亮处。

“The Count of Monte Cristo!” said Danglars, more pale from terror than he had been just before from hunger and misery.
“蒙特克里斯托伯爵!” 当格拉尔由于恐惧而变得更加苍白,刚刚因为饥饿和痛苦而苍白的脸色相比。

“You are mistaken—I am not the Count of Monte Cristo.”
“你错了,我不是蒙特克里斯托伯爵。”

“Then who are you?”
“那你是谁?”

“I am he whom you sold and dishonored—I am he whose betrothed you prostituted—I am he upon whom you trampled that you might raise yourself to fortune—I am he whose father you condemned to die of hunger—I am he whom you also condemned to starvation, and who yet forgives you, because he hopes to be forgiven—I am Edmond Dantès!”
“我是你出卖和羞辱过的人——我是你卖淫了我未婚妻的人——我是你为了发财而践踏过的人——我是你让我父亲饿死的人——我是你判我死于饥饿的人,尽管如此我还是原谅你,因为我希望被原谅——我是爱德蒙·唐泰斯!”

Danglars uttered a cry, and fell prostrate.
当格拉尔斯发出一声呼喊,倒地不起。

“Rise,” said the count, “your life is safe; —
“起来,”伯爵说,“你的命是安全的。 —

the same good fortune has not happened to your accomplices—one is mad, the other dead. —
但你的同伙没有那么幸运——一个疯了,另一个死了。 —

Keep the 50,000 francs you have left—I give them to you. —
保留你剩下的5万法郎——我送给你。 —

The 5,000,000 you stole from the hospitals has been restored to them by an unknown hand. —
你从医院偷来的500万法郎已经被一个不知名的人归还给他们。 —

And now eat and drink; I will entertain you tonight. —
现在吃喝吧;今晚我会款待你。 —

Vampa, when this man is satisfied, let him be free.”
现在让他自由了,万巴。”

Danglars remained prostrate while the count withdrew; —
当伯爵离开时,格拉尔斯仍然趴在地上; —

when he raised his head he saw disappearing down the passage nothing but a shadow, before which the bandits bowed.
当他抬起头时,只看到一道影子从走廊消失了,土匪们都向这道影子鞠躬致敬。

According to the count’s directions, Danglars was waited on by Vampa, who brought him the best wine and fruits of Italy; —
根据伯爵的指示,万巴为格拉尔斯拿来了意大利最好的葡萄酒和水果; —

then, having conducted him to the road, and pointed to the post-chaise, left him leaning against a tree. —
然后,他把格拉尔斯带到了路边,并指给他一辆马车,然后离开了,让他靠着一棵树。 —

He remained there all night, not knowing where he was. —
他整夜都待在那里,不知道自己在哪里。 —

When daylight dawned he saw that he was near a stream; —
天亮时,他看到自己离一条小溪很近; —

he was thirsty, and dragged himself towards it. —
他口渴了,费力地向那里爬去。 —

As he stooped down to drink, he saw that his hair had become entirely white.
当他弯下身子去喝水时,他看到自己的头发已经完全变白了。