The next morning dawned dull and cloudy. During the night the undertakers had executed their melancholy office, and wrapped the corpse in the winding-sheet, which, whatever may be said about the equality of death, is at least a last proof of the luxury so pleasing in life. —
第二天早上天色暗淡多云。在夜里,承办葬礼的人们履行了他们忧郁的职责,将尸体包裹在裹尸布中。无论人们对于死亡的平等性有什么说法,裹尸布至少是生活中如此愉快的奢侈品的最后证明。 —

This winding-sheet was nothing more than a beautiful piece of cambric, which the young girl had bought a fortnight before.
这块裹尸布只是一块美丽的白织纱,是那位年轻女孩两个星期前买的。

During the evening two men, engaged for the purpose, had carried Noirtier from Valentine’s room into his own, and contrary to all expectation there was no difficulty in withdrawing him from his child. —
晚上,两个受雇的人将努尔蒂埃从瓦伦丁的房间搬到了他自己的房间里,出人意料的是,把他从孩子身边搬开并没有遇到任何困难。 —

The Abbé Busoni had watched till daylight, and then left without calling anyone. —
布索尼神父守夜直到天亮,然后不打扰任何人就离开了。 —

D’Avrigny returned about eight o’clock in the morning; —
大约早上八点,达夫里尼回来了。 —

he met Villefort on his way to Noirtier’s room, and accompanied him to see how the old man had slept. —
他在去努尔蒂埃房间的路上遇到了维勒福,并陪同他去看老人睡得如何。 —

They found him in the large armchair, which served him for a bed, enjoying a calm, nay, almost a smiling sleep. —
他们发现他正躺在他的大扶手椅上,这也是他的床,享受着宁静而近乎微笑的睡眠。 —

They both stood in amazement at the door.
他们俩站在门口惊讶地看着。

“See,” said d’Avrigny to Villefort, “nature knows how to alleviate the deepest sorrow. —
“你看,”达维涅对维尔福说,“大自然知道如何缓解最深的悲伤。” —

No one can say that M. Noirtier did not love his child, and yet he sleeps.”
没有人能说诺尔缇尔先生不爱他的孩子,然而他却睡着了。”

“Yes, you are right,” replied Villefort, surprised; “he sleeps, indeed! —
“是的,你说得对,”维尔福惊讶地回答道,“他睡着了!” —

And this is the more strange, since the least contradiction keeps him awake all night.”
“而且更奇怪的是,即使是最小的矛盾都让他整夜不能入睡。”

“Grief has stunned him,” replied d’Avrigny; —
“悲伤让他震惊了,”达维涅回答道; —

and they both returned thoughtfully to the procureur’s study.
他们俩都沉思地回到了检察官的书房。

“See, I have not slept,” said Villefort, showing his undisturbed bed; —
“你看,我没有睡觉,”维尔福展示着没有被打扰的床,“悲伤并没有让我昏昏欲睡。 —

“grief does not stun me. —
我已经连续两个晚上没有睡觉了;但看看我的桌子; —

I have not been in bed for two nights; but then look at my desk; —
看看我在这两天两个晚上写的东西。 —

see what I have written during these two days and nights. —
我已经填满了那些文件,而且还对刺客贝内代托提出了控告。 —

I have filled those papers, and have made out the accusation against the assassin Benedetto. —
啊,工作,工作——我的热情,我的喜悦,我的快乐——只有你才能减轻我的悲伤! —

Oh, work, work,—my passion, my joy, my delight,—it is for thee to alleviate my sorrows! —
”他痉挛地抓住了达维涅的手。 —

” and he convulsively grasped the hand of d’Avrigny.

“Do you require my services now?” asked d’Avrigny.
“你现在需要我的服务吗?”d’Avrigny问道。

“No,” said Villefort; “only return again at eleven o’clock; —
“不需要,”Villefort说道,“只需在十一点再回来; —

at twelve the—the—oh, Heavens, my poor, poor child! —
十二点——天呐,我的可怜孩子! —

” and the procureur again becoming a man, lifted up his eyes and groaned.
”说着,检察官又变成了一个男人,抬起眼睛,呻吟着。

“Shall you be present in the reception-room?”
“你会在接待室里吗?”

“No; I have a cousin who has undertaken this sad office. —
“不会,我有一个表兄会承担这个悲伤的任务。 —

I shall work, doctor—when I work I forget everything.”
医生,我会工作——当我工作的时候,我会忘记一切。”

And, indeed, no sooner had the doctor left the room, than he was again absorbed in work. —
说完,医生一离开房间,他又投入了工作。 —

On the doorsteps d’Avrigny met the cousin whom Villefort had mentioned, a personage as insignificant in our story as in the world he occupied—one of those beings designed from their birth to make themselves useful to others. —
在门口,d’Avrigny遇到了Villefort提到的表兄,他在我们的故事中和他所从事的世界一样微不足道,他的出生就注定要为他人提供帮助。 —

He was punctual, dressed in black, with crape around his hat, and presented himself at his cousin’s with a face made up for the occasion, and which he could alter as might be required.
他准时到达,穿着黑色衣服,帽子上缠着帛布,一脸为这个场合而准备的表情,根据需要可以改变。

At eleven o’clock the mourning-coaches rolled into the paved court, and the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré was filled with a crowd of idlers, equally pleased to witness the festivities or the mourning of the rich, and who rush with the same avidity to a funeral procession as to the marriage of a duchess.
早晨11点,丧车驶入了铺砌的庭院,法布尔圣奥诺雷街上挤满了喜欢观看丰富人家喜事或丧事的闲人,他们对于葬礼队伍和公爵婚礼同样充满渴望。

Gradually the reception-room filled, and some of our old friends made their appearance—we mean Debray, Château-Renaud, and Beauchamp, accompanied by all the leading men of the day at the bar, in literature, or the army, for M. de Villefort moved in the first Parisian circles, less owing to his social position than to his personal merit.
渐渐地,接待室里人满为患,一些老朋友也陆续出现了——我们指的是德布雷、夏多-雷诺和博朝,他们带来了当时巴黎社交界的领军人物,不仅是因为维勒福爵士的社会地位,更是因为他个人的才华。

The cousin standing at the door ushered in the guests, and it was rather a relief to the indifferent to see a person as unmoved as themselves, and who did not exact a mournful face or force tears, as would have been the case with a father, a brother, or a lover. —
站在门口的堂兄引导着客人进来,对于那些漠不关心的人来说,看到一个与他们一样面无表情、不要求悲伤的人,不要求流泪,这实在是一种解脱,如果换做是父亲、兄弟或恋人,情况就截然不同了。 —

Those who were acquainted soon formed into little groups. —
那些互相熟悉的人很快就分成了小团体。 —

One of them was made of Debray, Château-Renaud, and Beauchamp.
其中一个由Debray、Château-Renaud和Beauchamp组成。

“Poor girl,” said Debray, like the rest, paying an involuntary tribute to the sad event, —“poor girl, so young, so rich, so beautiful! —
“可怜的女孩,”Debray像其他人一样说道,不由自主地对这个悲伤的事件表示敬意,“可怜的女孩,如此年轻、如此富有、如此美丽! —

Could you have imagined this scene, Château-Renaud, when we saw her, at the most three weeks ago, about to sign that contract?”
刚刚三个星期之前,我们看到她要签署那份合同时,你能想象到会发生这样的情景吗?”

“Indeed, no,” said Château-Renaud.”
“的确,不能,”Château-Renaud说。

“Did you know her?”
“你认识她吗?”

“I spoke to her once or twice at Madame de Morcerf’s, among the rest; —
“我在莫赛夫人家见过她一两次,还有其他人; —

she appeared to me charming, though rather melancholy. —
“我觉得她很迷人,虽然有些忧郁。 —

Where is her stepmother? Do you know?”
她的继母在哪里?你知道吗?”

“She is spending the day with the wife of the worthy gentleman who is receiving us.”
“她今天和那位热情君士的妻子在一起。”

“Who is he?”
“他是谁?”

“Whom do you mean?”
“你说的是谁?”

“The gentleman who receives us? Is he a deputy?”
“接待我们的这位绅士?他是一位国会议员吗?”

“Oh, no. I am condemned to witness those gentlemen every day,” said Beauchamp; —
“哦,不,我注定每天都要见到那些绅士,”Beauchamp说; —

“but he is perfectly unknown to me.”
“但是他对我来说完全是个陌生人。”

“Have you mentioned this death in your paper?”
“你在你的报纸上提到过这个死亡事件吗?”

“It has been mentioned, but the article is not mine; —
“提到过,但这篇文章不是我的; —

indeed, I doubt if it will please M. Villefort, for it says that if four successive deaths had happened anywhere else than in the house of the king’s attorney, he would have interested himself somewhat more about it.”
的确,我怀疑维尔福先生会不会满意,因为文章说,如果四连续的死亡事件发生在国王检察官家之外的任何地方,他可能会对此稍加关注。”

“Still,” said Château-Renaud, “Dr. d’Avrigny, who attends my mother, declares he is in despair about it. —
“然而,”夏多雷诺先生说,“我母亲的医生,德阿弗里尼博士,认为他对此感到绝望。” —

But whom are you seeking, Debray?”
你在找谁,德布雷?”

“I am seeking the Count of Monte Cristo” said the young man.
“我在寻找蒙特克里斯托伯爵,”年轻人说。

“I met him on the boulevard, on my way here,” said Beauchamp. —
“我在去这里的大道上遇见了他,”卜夏说。 —

“I think he is about to leave Paris; he was going to his banker.”
“我觉得他快要离开巴黎了,他正要去找他的银行家。”

“His banker? Danglars is his banker, is he not?” asked Château-Renaud of Debray.
“他的银行家?邓格拉是他的银行家,对吧?”夏多雷诺问德布雷。

“I believe so,” replied the secretary with slight uneasiness. —
“我想是的,”秘书带着些许不安回答道。 —

“But Monte Cristo is not the only one I miss here; —
“但蒙特克里斯托不是我在这里想见到的唯一一个人; —

I do not see Morrel.”
我没看到莫雷尔。”

“Morrel? Do they know him?” asked Château-Renaud. —
“莫雷尔?他们认识他吗?”夏多雷诺问道。 —

“I think he has only been introduced to Madame de Villefort.”
“我想他只见过维尔福夫人一次。”

“Still, he ought to have been here,” said Debray; —
“可是,他应该在这里的,”德布雷说道; —

“I wonder what will be talked about tonight; —
“我想知道今晚会谈论些什么; —

this funeral is the news of the day. But hush, here comes our minister of justice; —
这个葬礼是今天的新闻。不过,嘘,司法部长来了; —

he will feel obliged to make some little speech to the cousin, ” and the three young men drew near to listen.
他会感到有责任对这位堂兄做个简短的讲话。”三个年轻人走近一起听着。

Beauchamp told the truth when he said that on his way to the funeral he had met Monte Cristo, who was directing his steps towards the Rue de la Chaussée d’Antin, to M. Danglars’. —
当波希望说他在去葬礼的路上遇到了带着哀思而又和蔼可亲的笑容的蒙特克里斯托时,他说的是真的。 —

The banker saw the carriage of the count enter the courtyard, and advanced to meet him with a sad, though affable smile.
银行家看到蒙特克里斯托的马车进入院子,他走上前去迎接,脸上带着忧伤的笑容。

“Well,” said he, extending his hand to Monte Cristo, “I suppose you have come to sympathize with me, for indeed misfortune has taken possession of my house. —
“嗯,”他伸手向蒙特克里斯托伸出来,“我想你是来同情我的,因为不幸已经降临到我家里了。 —

When I perceived you, I was just asking myself whether I had not wished harm towards those poor Morcerfs, which would have justified the proverb of ‘He who wishes misfortunes to happen to others experiences them himself. —
当我感受到你的存在时,我正在自问是否曾经希望对那些可怜的Morcerf带来伤害,那样的话就能证明那句谚语“希望别人倒霉的人会自食其果”。 —

’ Well, on my word of honor, I answered, ‘No!’ I wished no ill to Morcerf; —
“诚信保证,我回答说,‘不!’我没有对Morcerf心生恶意; —

he was a little proud, perhaps, for a man who like myself has risen from nothing; —
也许他有点傲慢,对于像我这样从底层崛起的人来说,但我们都有自己的缺点。你知道吗,伯爵,我们这个年龄段的人——虽然你不属于这一类,你还是年轻人——但正如我所说,我们这个年龄段的人今年非常不幸。 —

but we all have our faults. Do you know, count, that persons of our time of life—not that you belong to the class, you are still a young man, —but as I was saying, persons of our time of life have been very unfortunate this year. —
例如,看看那个虔诚的检察官,他刚刚以如此特殊的方式失去了女儿,实际上几乎失去了全部家人; —

For example, look at the puritanical procureur, who has just lost his daughter, and in fact nearly all his family, in so singular a manner; —
Morcerf 被毁誉扬名然后去世;还有我,因为Benedetto的恶行而受到嘲笑;除此之外——” —

Morcerf dishonored and dead; and then myself covered with ridicule through the villany of Benedetto; besides——”
“除了什么?”伯爵问道。

“Besides what?” asked the Count.
“唉,你难道不知道吗?”

“Alas, do you not know?”
“又有什么新的不幸?”

“What new calamity?”
“新的灾祸是什么?”

“My daughter——”
“我的女儿——”

“Mademoiselle Danglars?”
“Danglars小姐?”

“Eugénie has left us!”
“Eugénie离开我们了!”

“Good heavens, what are you telling me?”
“天哪,你在告诉我什么?”

“The truth, my dear count. Oh, how happy you must be in not having either wife or children!”
“是真的,亲爱的伯爵。哦,不用担心你没有妻子或孩子,你一定很幸福!”

“Do you think so?”
“你这么认为吗?”

“Indeed I do.”
“确实如此。”

“And so Mademoiselle Danglars——”
“那么Danglars小姐——”

“She could not endure the insult offered to us by that wretch, so she asked permission to travel.”
“她无法忍受那个恶棍对我们的侮辱,所以她请求出国旅行。”

“And is she gone?”
“她走了吗?”

“The other night she left.”
“她是在前晚离开的。”

“With Madame Danglars?”
“和Danglars夫人一起吗?”

“No, with a relation. But still, we have quite lost our dear Eugénie; —
“不,是和一个亲戚。但是,我们确实失去了我们亲爱的Eugénie;因为我怀疑她的傲慢会使她不再返回法国。” —

for I doubt whether her pride will ever allow her to return to France.”
“然而,男爵,家庭的悲痛,或者其他任何能够让孩子是他唯一的财富的人崩溃的困境,对百万富翁来说却是可以忍受的。”

“Still, baron,” said Monte Cristo, “family griefs, or indeed any other affliction which would crush a man whose child was his only treasure, are endurable to a millionaire. —
“然而,男爵,家庭的悲痛,或者其他任何能够让孩子是他唯一的财富的人崩溃的困境,对百万富翁来说却是可以忍受的。” —

Philosophers may well say, and practical men will always support the opinion, that money mitigates many trials; —
哲学家可能会说,而实际的人会一直支持这个观点,即金钱能够减轻许多考验; —

and if you admit the efficacy of this sovereign balm, you ought to be very easily consoled—you, the king of finance, the focus of immeasurable power.”
如果你承认这种至高无上的安慰的效力,你应该会很容易得到慰藉——你,金融界的王者,无尽权力的焦点。”

Danglars looked at him askance, as though to ascertain whether he spoke seriously.
唐格拉尔斯斜视着他,好像要确定他是不是认真地说。

“Yes,” he answered, “if a fortune brings consolation, I ought to be consoled; I am rich.”
“是的,”他回答道,“如果财富能带来安慰,我应该会得到安慰;我很富有。”

“So rich, dear sir, that your fortune resembles the pyramids; —
“如此富有,亲爱的先生,以至于你的财富就像金字塔一样; —

if you wished to demolish them you could not, and if it were possible, you would not dare!”
如果你想要摧毁它们,你无法做到;而且如果可能的话,你也不敢!”

Danglars smiled at the good-natured pleasantry of the count. —
唐格拉尔斯对伯爵友善的俏皮话微笑着。 —

“That reminds me,” he said, “that when you entered I was on the point of signing five little bonds; —
“这使我想起来,”他说,“你进来的时候,我正要签署五份小型债券; —

I have already signed two: will you allow me to do the same to the others?”
我已经签了两份:你是否允许我对其余的也这样做?”

“Pray do so.”
“请这样做吧。”

There was a moment’s silence, during which the noise of the banker’s pen was alone heard, while Monte Cristo examined the gilt mouldings on the ceiling.
在这一刻的沉默中,只有银行家笔尖的声音,而蒙特克里斯托则在检查天花板上的镀金线条。

“Are they Spanish, Haitian, or Neapolitan bonds?” said Monte Cristo.
“它们是西班牙的、海地的,还是那不勒斯的债券?”蒙特克里斯托问道。

“No,” said Danglars, smiling, “they are bonds on the bank of France, payable to bearer. —
“不,”旺格拉笑着说,“它们是法国银行的债券,可兑现给持有人。 —

Stay, count,” he added, “you, who may be called the emperor, if I claim the title of king of finance, have you many pieces of paper of this size, each worth a million?”
“等一下,伯爵,”他又说,“如果我称自己为金融之王,那您被称为皇帝,您手上有多少这样面额为一百万的纸币?”

The count took into his hands the papers, which Danglars had so proudly presented to him, and read:—
伯爵接过旺格拉得意洋洋地递给他的文件,读到:

“‘To the Governor of the Bank. Please pay to my order, from the fund deposited by me, the sum of a million, and charge the same to my account.
“‘给银行行长:请从我存入的款项中支付给我一百万,并将此款记入我的账户。

“Baron Danglars.’”
“旺格拉男爵’。”

“One, two, three, four, five,” said Monte Cristo; —
“一、二、三、四、五,”蒙特克里斯托说道; —

“five millions—why what a Crœsus you are!”
“五百万——天呐,你真是个克罗伊索斯!”

“This is how I transact business,” said Danglars.
“我就是这样做生意的,”旺格拉说。

“It is really wonderful,” said the count; —
“真是太奇妙了,”伯爵说。 —

“above all, if, as I suppose, it is payable at sight.”
“最重要的是,如果我所猜测的没错的话,这是即期付款。”

“It is, indeed,” said Danglars.
“确实是这样,”当格拉尔说道。

“It is a fine thing to have such credit; really, it is only in France these things are done. —
“能有这样的信用真是好事;实际上,只有在法国才会有这样的事情。 —

Five millions on five little scraps of paper! —
“五百万交换成五张小纸片! —

—it must be seen to be believed.”
-这必须亲眼才能相信。”

“You do not doubt it?”
“你不怀疑吗?”

“No!”
“不!”

“You say so with an accent—stay, you shall be convinced; —
“你这么说带着口音——等一下,我会让你信服的; —

take my clerk to the bank, and you will see him leave it with an order on the Treasury for the same sum.”
把我的助理带到银行去,你就会看到他拿着一张向财政部开出同样数额的支票离开。”

“No,” said Monte Cristo folding the five notes, “most decidedly not; —
“不,”蒙特克里斯托折叠着这五张钞票说道,“绝对不行; —

the thing is so curious, I will make the experiment myself. —
这件事太有趣了,我要亲自做个实验。 —

I am credited on you for six millions. —
我在你那里的信用额度是六百万; —

I have drawn nine hundred thousand francs, you therefore still owe me five millions and a hundred thousand francs. —
我已经取出九十万法郎,所以你还欠我五百万零十万法郎。 —

I will take the five scraps of paper that I now hold as bonds, with your signature alone, and here is a receipt in full for the six millions between us. —
我会收下这五张我手上的、只有你的签名的债券,这是我们之间的六百万全额收据。” —

I had prepared it beforehand, for I am much in want of money today.”
我事先准备好了,因为我今天非常需要钱。

And Monte Cristo placed the bonds in his pocket with one hand, while with the other he held out the receipt to Danglars. —
蒙特克里斯托将债券放入口袋,一手递给当格拉尔斯付款收据。 —

If a thunderbolt had fallen at the banker’s feet, he could not have experienced greater terror.
如果一道雷电在银行家脚下落下,他也不会感受到更大的恐惧。

“What,” he stammered, “do you mean to keep that money? —
“什么?”,他结结巴巴地说,“你打算留下这笔钱吗? —

Excuse me, excuse me, but I owe this money to the charity fund, —a deposit which I promised to pay this morning.”
对不起,对不起,但这笔钱我欠慈善基金,我答应今天上午支付的存款。”

“Oh, well, then,” said Monte Cristo, “I am not particular about these five notes, pay me in a different form; —
“哦,好吧,”蒙特克里斯托说,“我对这五张钞票没有特别要求,以其他形式支付给我; —

I wished, from curiosity, to take these, that I might be able to say that without any advice or preparation the house of Danglars had paid me five millions without a minute’s delay; —
我出于好奇,想拿走这些,这样我就能说,没有任何咨询或准备,当格拉尔斯家已经在一分钟内向我支付了五百万; —

it would have been remarkable. But here are your bonds; pay me differently; —
那将是了不起的。但这是你的债券;以其他方式支付给我; —

” and he held the bonds towards Danglars, who seized them like a vulture extending its claws to withhold the food that is being wrested from its grasp.
“然后他向邓格拉斯递给那些债券,邓格拉斯像食物从它的掌控中被夺走时,秃鹫伸出它的爪子一样抓住了它们。”

Suddenly he rallied, made a violent effort to restrain himself, and then a smile gradually widened the features of his disturbed countenance.
突然他振作起来,努力控制自己,然后微笑逐渐扩大了他紊乱面容上的表情。

“Certainly,” he said, “your receipt is money.”
“当然,”他说,“你的收据就是钱。”

“Oh dear, yes; and if you were at Rome, the house of Thomson & French would make no more difficulty about paying the money on my receipt than you have just done.”
“哦,亲爱的,是的;如果你在罗马,汤姆森和法兰西公司对于支付我的收据上的钱就不会比你刚刚做的难。”

“Pardon me, count, pardon me.”
“请原谅,伯爵,原谅我。”

“Then I may keep this money?”
“那我可以拿这笔钱吗?”

“Yes,” said Danglars, while the perspiration started from the roots of his hair. —
“是的,”邓格拉斯说,汗水从他的额头冒了出来。 —

“Yes, keep it—keep it.”
“是的,留着吧— 留着吧。”

Monte Cristo replaced the notes in his pocket with that indescribable expression which seemed to say, “Come, reflect; —
蒙特克里斯托把钞票放回口袋,带着无法形容的表情,好像在说,“来吧,考虑一下;如果你后悔,还来得及。” —

if you repent there is still time.”
“不,”邓格拉斯说,“不,毫无疑问不行;把我的签名保留下来。

“No,” said Danglars, “no, decidedly no; keep my signatures. —
但你知道,没有哪个行业比银行家在办理业务上更正式; —

But you know none are so formal as bankers in transacting business; —
等一等,想一想,如果你后悔了还有机会。” —

I intended this money for the charity fund, and I seemed to be robbing them if I did not pay them with these precise bonds. —
我原本的意图是把这些钱捐给慈善基金,如果我不用这些确切的债券支付给他们,就好像是在抢劫他们。 —

How absurd—as if one crown were not as good as another. Excuse me; —
多么荒谬——仿佛一枚王冠不比另一枚好似的。请原谅我; —

” and he began to laugh loudly, but nervously.
“说完他大声地笑了起来,但却很紧张。

“Certainly, I excuse you,” said Monte Cristo graciously, “and pocket them. —
“当然,我原谅你,”蒙特克里斯托亲切地说道,”然后把债券装进皮夹里。 —

” And he placed the bonds in his pocket-book.
“然后他把债券放进了他的皮夹。

“But,” said Danglars, “there is still a sum of one hundred thousand francs?”
“但是,”唐格拉尔斯说道,”还有一笔十万法郎的款项吗?

“Oh, a mere nothing,” said Monte Cristo. —
“哦,只不过是小钱,”蒙特克里斯托说道。 —

“The balance would come to about that sum; —
“账目就是大约那个数; —

but keep it, and we shall be quits.”
但你留着吧,这样我们就扯平了。

“Count,” said Danglars, “are you speaking seriously?”
“伯爵,”唐格拉尔斯说道,”你是认真的吗?

“I never joke with bankers,” said Monte Cristo in a freezing manner, which repelled impertinence; —
“我从不和银行家开玩笑,”蒙特克里斯托以一种令人生厌的方式说道。 —

and he turned to the door, just as the valet de chambre announced:
他刚好转向门口时,管家宣布:

“M. de Boville, Receiver-General of the charities.”
“慈善事务的总收款官员博维尔先生。

Ma foi,” said Monte Cristo; “I think I arrived just in time to obtain your signatures, or they would have been disputed with me.”
“嗯,我想我及时赶到以跟你们签字,否则他们可能会和我争论。”

Danglars again became pale, and hastened to conduct the count out. —
但格拉再次变得苍白,赶紧把伯爵引导出去。 —

Monte Cristo exchanged a ceremonious bow with M. de Boville, who was standing in the waiting-room, and who was introduced into Danglars’ room as soon as the count had left.
蒙地克里斯托与站在等候室里的伯维尔先生翻身作了一个正式的鞠躬,一离开伯爵就将他介绍到了但格拉的房间里。

The count’s serious face was illumined by a faint smile, as he noticed the portfolio which the receiver-general held in his hand. —
伯爵的严肃面容上露出了一丝微笑,因为他注意到了总管手里拿着的那个文件夹。 —

At the door he found his carriage, and was immediately driven to the bank. —
他发现马车停在门口,立即被送去了银行。 —

Meanwhile Danglars, repressing all emotion, advanced to meet the receiver-general. —
与此同时,但格拉压制住所有的情绪,走上前去迎接总管。 —

We need not say that a smile of condescension was stamped upon his lips.
我们无须多说,他的嘴角流露出一丝屈尊的笑容。

“Good-morning, creditor,” said he; “for I wager anything it is the creditor who visits me.”
“早上好,债主,”他说,“我打赌肯定是债主来找我。”

“You are right, baron,” answered M. de Boville; —
“你说得对,男爵,”伯维尔先生回答道; —

“the charities present themselves to you through me; —
“慈善事业通过我呈现给你; —

the widows and orphans depute me to receive alms to the amount of five millions from you.”
寡妇和孤儿们委托我向您领取五百万的救济金。

“And yet they say orphans are to be pitied,” said Danglars, wishing to prolong the jest. “Poor things!”
“然而他们说孤儿们值得同情,” Danglars说道,希望延长这个玩笑。 “可怜的孩子们!”

“Here I am in their name,” said M. de Boville; “but did you receive my letter yesterday?”
“我代表他们来了,” de Boville先生说道,”但是您收到我昨天的信了吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。

“I have brought my receipt.”
“我带来了我的收据。

“My dear M. de Boville, your widows and orphans must oblige me by waiting twenty-four hours, since M. de Monte Cristo whom you just saw leaving here—you did see him, I think?”
“亲爱的de Boville先生, 您的寡妇和孤儿们必须等待二十四小时,因为您刚刚见到离开这里的Monte Cristo 先生—您确实见到他了,对吗?

“Yes; well?”
“是的;然后呢?

“Well, M. de Monte Cristo has just carried off their five millions.”
“嗯,Monte Cristo先生刚刚将他们的五百万带走了。

“How so?”
“怎么回事?

“The count has an unlimited credit upon me; a credit opened by Thomson & French, of Rome; —
“这位计数先生在我这里有无尽的信贷;是由罗马的汤姆森和法兰西公司开立的信贷。 —

he came to demand five millions at once, which I paid him with checks on the bank. —
他来要求一次性支付五百万,我用银行支票付给他了。 —

My funds are deposited there, and you can understand that if I draw out ten millions on the same day it will appear rather strange to the governor. —
我的资金就在那里存放,您可以理解,如果我在同一天提取一千万,那对行长来说会显得相当奇怪。 —

Two days will be a different thing,” said Danglars, smiling.
“两天后会是一件完全不同的事情,”当达尔古斯笑着说道。

“Come,” said Boville, with a tone of entire incredulity, “five millions to that gentleman who just left, and who bowed to me as though he knew me?”
“来吧,”博维尔说着,完全不相信地说道,“给那位刚刚离开的绅士五百万,他还向我这样鞠躬?”

“Perhaps he knows you, though you do not know him; M. de Monte Cristo knows everybody.”
“也许他认识你,尽管你并不认识他;蒙特克里斯托先生认识每个人。”

“Five millions!”
“五百万!”

“Here is his receipt. Believe your own eyes. —
“这是他的收据。相信自己的眼睛。” —

” M. de Boville took the paper Danglars presented him, and read:
博维尔先生接过达尔古斯递给他的纸条,读了起来。

“Received of Baron Danglars the sum of five million one hundred thousand francs, to be repaid on demand by the house of Thomson & French of Rome.”
“获得了达尔古斯男爵五百一十万法郎,可随时通过汤姆森和法国的罗马分公司还款。”

“It is really true,” said M. de Boville.
“这是真的,”博维尔先生说道。

“Do you know the house of Thomson & French?”
“你知道汤姆森和法国吗?”

“Yes, I once had business to transact with it to the amount of 200,000 francs; —
“是的,以前我曾进行过价值二十万法郎的交易。” —

but since then I have not heard it mentioned.”
“但是那以后我再也没有听说过了。”

“It is one of the best houses in Europe,” said Danglars, carelessly throwing down the receipt on his desk.
“这是欧洲最好的公司之一。”达尔古斯漫不经心地把收据放在桌子上说道。

“And he had five millions in your hands alone! Why, this Count of Monte Cristo must be a nabob?”
“而且他单单存在你的手中就有500万!噢,这位蒙特克里斯托伯爵一定是个富豪吧?”

“Indeed I do not know what he is; he has three unlimited credits—one on me, one on Rothschild, one on Lafitte; —
“实际上我也不知道他是谁,他有三个无限信用——一个是我,一个是罗斯柴尔德,还有一个是拉菲特; —

and, you see,” he added carelessly, “he has given me the preference, by leaving a balance of 100,000 francs.”
而且你看,他漫不经心地补充道,他给了我优先权,留下了10万法郎的余额。”

M. de Boville manifested signs of extraordinary admiration.
博维尔先生表现出了非同寻常的钦佩之情。

“I must visit him,” he said, “and obtain some pious grant from him.”
“我必须去拜访他,向他争取一些仁慈的捐助。”

“Oh, you may make sure of him; his charities alone amount to 20,000 francs a month.”
“噢,你可以相信他,他的慈善捐款每个月都达到2万法郎。”

“It is magnificent! I will set before him the example of Madame de Morcerf and her son.”
“真是宏大!我要向他提到莫赛夫人和她的儿子的榜样。”

“What example?”
“什么榜样?”

“They gave all their fortune to the hospitals.”
“他们把他们的全部财产都捐给了医院。”

“What fortune?”
“什么财产?”

“Their own—M. de Morcerf’s, who is deceased.”
“他们自己的财产——已故的莫赛夫人的财产。”

“For what reason?”
“为什么这样做?”

“Because they would not spend money so guiltily acquired.”
“因为他们不愿意用那样犯罪得来的钱。”

“And what are they to live upon?”
“他们怎么生活?”

“The mother retires into the country, and the son enters the army.”
“母亲退居乡下,儿子参军。”

“Well, I must confess, these are scruples.”
“嗯,我必须承认,这些是优柔寡断。”

“I registered their deed of gift yesterday.”
“我昨天注册了他们的赠与契约。”

“And how much did they possess?”
“他们拥有多少财产?”

“Oh, not much—from twelve to thirteen hundred thousand francs. But to return to our millions.”
“噢,不多,大约是一百二十到一百三十万法郎。但是回到我们的数百万。”

“Certainly,” said Danglars, in the most natural tone in the world. —
“当然了,”丹格拉斯以最自然的口吻说道。 —

“Are you then pressed for this money?”
“那你是迫切需要这笔钱吗?”

“Yes; for the examination of our cash takes place tomorrow.”
“是的。明天我们要进行现金审核。”

“Tomorrow? Why did you not tell me so before? —
“明天?你为什么不早点告诉我?” —

Why, it is as good as a century! At what hour does the examination take place?”
“噢,这得等上一个世纪似的!现金审核是什么时候?”

“At two o’clock.”
“下午两点。”

“Send at twelve,” said Danglars, smiling.
“十二点钟派人去吧。”丹格拉斯微笑着说道。

M. de Boville said nothing, but nodded his head, and took up the portfolio.
博维尔先生什么也没说,点了点头,拿起了文件夹。

“Now I think of it, you can do better,” said Danglars.
“现在我想起来了,你可以做得更好,”丹格拉斯说道。

“How do you mean?”
“你是什么意思?”

“The receipt of M. de Monte Cristo is as good as money; —
“蒙特克里斯托先生的收据和钱一样有价值; —

take it to Rothschild’s or Lafitte’s, and they will take it off your hands at once.”
“拿去罗斯柴尔德家或拉菲特家,他们会立刻帮你处理掉。”

“What, though payable at Rome?”
“什么?尽管在罗马付款?”

“Certainly; it will only cost you a discount of 5,000 or 6,000 francs.”
“当然,只需支付5,000或6,000法郎的折扣。”

The receiver started back.
接受者吃了一惊。

Ma foi!” he said, “I prefer waiting till tomorrow. What a proposition!”
Ma foi!”他说,“我宁愿等到明天。这是什么提议!”

“I thought, perhaps,” said Danglars with supreme impertinence, “that you had a deficiency to make up?”
“也许,”当加朗尼对他非常粗鲁时说,“你还有一些亏空要填补吧?”

“Indeed,” said the receiver.
“确实如此,”接受者说。

“And if that were the case it would be worth while to make some sacrifice.”
“如果是这样,做一些牺牲也值得。”

“Thank you, no, sir.”
“谢谢,先生,不用了。”

“Then it will be tomorrow.”
“那么明天吧。”

“Yes; but without fail.”
“是的,但一定要保证。”

“Ah, you are laughing at me; send tomorrow at twelve, and the bank shall be notified.”
“啊,你在嘲笑我;明天中午时候送来,银行将会得到通知。”

“I will come myself.”
“我会亲自来的。”

“Better still, since it will afford me the pleasure of seeing you.” They shook hands.
“这样更好,这样我就能见到您了。”他们握了握手。

“By the way,” said M. de Boville, “are you not going to the funeral of poor Mademoiselle de Villefort, which I met on my road here?”
“对了,”M. de Boville说,“你不准备去参加我在路上遇到的可怜的Villefort小姐的葬礼吗?”

“No,” said the banker; “I have appeared rather ridiculous since that affair of Benedetto, so I remain in the background.”
“不,”银行家说。“自从那件本笃多的事情以来,我显得相当可笑,所以我一直呆在幕后。”

“Bah, you are wrong. How were you to blame in that affair?”
“啊,你错了。那件事里你怎么有错呢?”

“Listen—when one bears an irreproachable name, as I do, one is rather sensitive.”
“听着,当一个人有一个无可指责的名字,就像我一样,就会显得相当敏感。”

“Everybody pities you, sir; and, above all, Mademoiselle Danglars!”
“大家都同情您,先生;尤其是唐格拉尔小姐!”

“Poor Eugénie!” said Danglars; “do you know she is going to embrace a religious life?”
“可怜的尤金妮!”唐格拉尔说,“你知道她要过宗教生活吗?”

“No.”
“不知道。”

“Alas, it is unhappily but too true. The day after the event, she decided on leaving Paris with a nun of her acquaintance; —
“唉,不幸的是确实如此。事件发生后的那一天,她决定和一个她认识的修女一起离开巴黎; —

they are gone to seek a very strict convent in Italy or Spain.”
他们已经去意大利或西班牙寻找一个非常严格的修道院。”

“Oh, it is terrible!” and M. de Boville retired with this exclamation, after expressing acute sympathy with the father. —
“哦,太可怕了!”布维尔先生表示同情后发出了这一惊叹语,然后退去。 —

But he had scarcely left before Danglars, with an energy of action those can alone understand who have seen Robert Macaire represented by Frédérick,24 exclaimed:
但他刚刚离开,唐格拉尔就以一种只有那些见过弗雷德里克演绎罗伯特·马卡尔的人才能理解的行动力大声说道:

“Fool!”
“傻瓜!”

Then enclosing Monte Cristo’s receipt in a little pocket-book, he added: —
然后把蒙特克里斯托的收据装进一个小钱夹,他补充道: —

—“Yes, come at twelve o’clock; I shall then be far away.”
“是的,中午来吧;那时我会远离这里。”

Then he double-locked his door, emptied all his drawers, collected about fifty thousand francs in bank-notes, burned several papers, left others exposed to view, and then commenced writing a letter which he addressed:
然后他双重锁上门,清空了所有抽屉,收集了大约五万法郎的钞票,烧掉了几张文件,把其他文件摆在明处,然后开始写信,收信人是:

“To Madame la Baronne Danglars.”
“给达克拉夫人女爵。”

“I will place it on her table myself tonight,” he murmured. —
“我今晚亲自把它放在她的桌子上。”他喃喃自语道。 —

Then taking a passport from his drawer he said,—“Good, it is available for two months longer.”
然后从抽屉里拿出一本护照,他说:”很好,还可以使用两个月。”