We awake from every sleep except the one dreaded by Danglars. He awoke. —
除了当唐格拉恩所惧怕的那个梦境之外,我们每次醒来都会感到宁静。 —

To a Parisian accustomed to silken curtains, walls hung with velvet drapery, and the soft perfume of burning wood, the white smoke of which diffuses itself in graceful curves around the room, the appearance of the whitewashed cell which greeted his eyes on awakening seemed like the continuation of some disagreeable dream. —
对于一个习惯了丝绸窗帘、挂着天鹅绒帷幔、散发着燃烧木材的柔和香气的巴黎人来说,醒来后眼前是一间洗白的牢房,给人一种令人不快的梦境延续的感觉。 —

But in such a situation a single moment suffices to change the strongest doubt into certainty.
但在这样的情况下,一个瞬间就足以将最坚定的疑虑转化为确信。

“Yes, yes,” he murmured, “I am in the hands of the brigands of whom Albert de Morcerf spoke. —
“是的,是的,”他喃喃自语道,“我是阿尔贝·德·莫尔西夫所说的强盗们的俘虏。” —

” His first idea was to breathe, that he might know whether he was wounded. —
他的第一个想法是呼吸一下,以确定自己是否受伤。 —

He borrowed this from Don Quixote, the only book he had ever read, but which he still slightly remembered.
他从《堂吉诃德》中借用了这个词,这是他唯一读过的一本书,但他还有一点点记得。

“No,” he cried, “they have not wounded, but perhaps they have robbed me! —
“不,”他大叫道,“他们没有伤到我,但也许他们抢走了我的东西!” —

” and he thrust his hands into his pockets. They were untouched; —
他把手伸进口袋里。他们没有动过。 —

the hundred louis he had reserved for his journey from Rome to Venice were in his trousers pocket, and in that of his greatcoat he found the little note-case containing his letter of credit for 5,050,000 francs.
他在自己的裤袋里储备了一百枚路易,而在大衣的口袋里,他找到了一个小钱包,里面装着他的信用证,价值505万法郎。

“Singular bandits!” he exclaimed; “they have left me my purse and pocket-book. —
“真奇怪的强盗!”他叫道:“他们居然留下了我的钱包和钱包。” —

As I was saying last night, they intend me to be ransomed. —
正如我昨晚所说的,他们打算用赎金来救我。 —

Hello, here is my watch! Let me see what time it is.”
“喂,这是我的手表!让我看看现在是什么时间。”

Danglars’ watch, one of Breguet’s repeaters, which he had carefully wound up on the previous night, struck half past five. —
当格朗公的手表——其中一个布雷格重复装置的手表,在前一晚他细心上发条后,敲响了五点半。 —

Without this, Danglars would have been quite ignorant of the time, for daylight did not reach his cell. —
如果没有这个,丹加尔将对时间一无所知,因为阳光无法照射到他的牢房里。 —

Should he demand an explanation from the bandits, or should he wait patiently for them to propose it? —
他应该向强盗们要求解释,还是耐心等待他们提出解释呢? —

The last alternative seemed the most prudent, so he waited until twelve o’clock. —
最后一种选择似乎是最谨慎的,所以他等到了午夜十二点。 —

During all this time a sentinel, who had been relieved at eight o’clock, had been watching his door.
在所有这段时间里,一个已于八点被换下的哨兵一直在看守着他的门。

Danglars suddenly felt a strong inclination to see the person who kept watch over him. —
当格朗瓦尔突然感到强烈的倾向要见那个盯着他的人。 —

He had noticed that a few rays, not of daylight, but from a lamp, penetrated through the ill-joined planks of the door; —
他注意到几束光线透过门上不合拼的木板,不是来自白天的光线,而是来自灯。 —

he approached just as the brigand was refreshing himself with a mouthful of brandy, which, owing to the leathern bottle containing it, sent forth an odor which was extremely unpleasant to Danglars. —
他靠近时恰好看到土匪正在喝一口白兰地,因为是用皮瓶盛放的,所以散发出一种令邓格拉非常不悦的气味。 —

“Faugh!” he exclaimed, retreating to the farther corner of his cell.
“呸!”他退到牢房的角落里。

At twelve this man was replaced by another functionary, and Danglars, wishing to catch sight of his new guardian, approached the door again.
十二点时,这个人被另一个人代替,邓格拉希望能看到他的新监护人,于是又靠近门口。

He was an athletic, gigantic bandit, with large eyes, thick lips, and a flat nose; —
他是一个体格健壮、身材高大的土匪,有着大眼睛、厚嘴唇和扁鼻子; —

his red hair fell in dishevelled masses like snakes around his shoulders.
他的红发像蛇一样蓬乱地垂在肩上。

“Ah, ha,” cried Danglars, “this fellow is more like an ogre than anything else; —
“啊哈,”邓格拉叫道,“这家伙更像个食人魔; —

however, I am rather too old and tough to be very good eating!”
但是,我已经年事已高,皮糙肉厚,估计也不太容易被吃掉!”

We see that Danglars was collected enough to jest; —
我们看到邓格拉还冷静到可以开玩笑。 —

at the same time, as though to disprove the ogreish propensities, the man took some black bread, cheese, and onions from his wallet, which he began devouring voraciously.
然而,仿佛要证明自己不是像食欲凶残的怪物一样,这个人从自己的钱包里拿出一些黑面包、奶酪和洋葱,贪婪地开始吞噬起来。

“May I be hanged,” said Danglars, glancing at the bandit’s dinner through the crevices of the door, —“may I be hanged if I can understand how people can eat such filth! —
“我真是被吊死了!”当唐格拉斯通过门缝瞥见强盗的晚餐时,他说道,“我真是不明白人们为什么会吃这种脏东西!” —

” and he withdrew to seat himself upon his goat-skin, which reminded him of the smell of the brandy.
他走开坐在山羊皮上,山羊皮上的气味让他想起白兰地的味道。

But the mysteries of nature are incomprehensible, and there are certain invitations contained in even the coarsest food which appeal very irresistibly to a fasting stomach. —
但自然的奥秘是无法理解的,即使是最粗俗的食物中也蕴含着某种邀请,对一个饥肠辘辘的胃来说,这种邀请是非常诱人的。 —

Danglars felt his own not to be very well supplied just then, and gradually the man appeared less ugly, the bread less black, and the cheese more fresh, while those dreadful vulgar onions recalled to his mind certain sauces and side-dishes, which his cook prepared in a very superior manner whenever he said, “Monsieur Deniseau, let me have a nice little fricassee today. —
当时邓格拉尔觉得自己的食物供应不太充足,渐渐地,那个人看起来并不那么丑陋,面包也不那么黑了,奶酪看起来更加新鲜了,而那些可怕的粗俗的洋葱则让他想起了他的厨师用非常高超的手法制作的某些酱汁和副菜,每次他说:“丹尼索先生,今天给我弄一份漂亮的炖菜。” —

” He got up and knocked on the door; the bandit raised his head. —
他站起身敲门,土匪抬起头来。 —

Danglars knew that he was heard, so he redoubled his blows.
邓格拉尔知道他已经被听到了,所以他加倍地敲打。

Che cosa?” asked the bandit.
“什么事?”土匪问道。

“Come, come,” said Danglars, tapping his fingers against the door, “I think it is quite time to think of giving me something to eat!”
“来,来,”邓格拉尔用手指敲打着门,“我觉得到了该给我吃点东西的时候了!”

But whether he did not understand him, or whether he had received no orders respecting the nourishment of Danglars, the giant, without answering, went on with his dinner. —
但无论是他没有听懂他的话,还是他没有接受关于邓格拉尔食物的任何指令,这个巨人没有回答,继续吃他的饭。 —

Danglars’ feelings were hurt, and not wishing to put himself under obligations to the brute, the banker threw himself down again on his goat-skin and did not breathe another word.
唐格拉的感情受到了伤害,不想让自己欠那个野蛮人的人情,银行家再度蹲在山羊皮上,没有再说一句话。

Four hours passed by and the giant was replaced by another bandit. —
四个小时过去了,巨人被另一位土匪取代。 —

Danglars, who really began to experience sundry gnawings at the stomach, arose softly, again applied his eye to the crack of the door, and recognized the intelligent countenance of his guide. —
唐格拉开始感到肚子饿得难受,轻轻地站起来,再次把眼睛贴在门缝上,发现他机智的向导正在等候。 —

It was, indeed, Peppino who was preparing to mount guard as comfortably as possible by seating himself opposite to the door, and placing between his legs an earthen pan, containing chick-peas stewed with bacon. —
的确,准备轮流站岗的就是配备了一个装有培根炖鹰嘴豆的陶质锅的佩皮诺。 —

Near the pan he also placed a pretty little basket of Villetri grapes and a flask of Orvieto. —
在陶锅旁边,他还放了一个装有维利特绿葡萄和一瓶奥尔维耶托的漂亮小篮子。 —

Peppino was decidedly an epicure. Danglars watched these preparations and his mouth watered.
佩皮诺显然是个美食家。唐格拉看着这些准备,垂涎欲滴。

“Come,” he said to himself, “let me try if he will be more tractable than the other; —
“来吧,”他自言自语道,“让我看看他比另一个人更容易驾驭不。” —

” and he tapped gently at the door.
于是他轻轻敲了敲门。

On y va,” (coming) exclaimed Peppino, who from frequenting the house of Signor Pastrini understood French perfectly in all its idioms.
“走吧,”(他从常去帕斯特里尼先生的家里,完全理解法语的各种习语的)佩皮诺叫道。

Danglars immediately recognized him as the man who had called out in such a furious manner, “Put in your head! —
但那个人凶猛地喊着“把你的头伸进来!” 的声音让唐格拉立刻认出了他。 —

” But this was not the time for recrimination, so he assumed his most agreeable manner and said with a gracious smile:
但现在不是争论的时候,所以他摆出最愉快的姿态,微笑着说道:

“Excuse me, sir, but are they not going to give me any dinner?”
“请原谅,先生,难道他们不打算给我吃饭吗?”

“Does your excellency happen to be hungry?”
“阁下恰巧饿了吗?”

“Happen to be hungry,—that’s pretty good, when I haven’t eaten for twenty-four hours! —
“恰巧饿了,真是好笑,我已经二十四小时没有吃过东西了!”唐格拉嘟囔道。然后他大声说道:“是的,先生,我饿了——非常饿。” —

” muttered Danglars. Then he added aloud, “Yes, sir, I am hungry—very hungry.”
“阁下想要吃点什么?”

“And your excellency wants something to eat?”
“如果可能的话,马上就想吃。”

“At once, if possible”
“没有比这更容易的事了,”佩皮诺说。“在这里你可以得到任何你想要的东西;当然,需要付款,因为这是诚实人之间的事情。”

“Nothing easier,” said Peppino. “Here you can get anything you want; —
“对饭需要等候吗?”唐格拉问。 —

by paying for it, of course, as among honest folk.”
“不需要,”佩皮诺说。“只要你愿意付钱,一切都方便。”

“Of course!” cried Danglars. “Although, in justice, the people who arrest and imprison you, ought, at least, to feed you.”
“当然!”丹格拉尔斯大声喊道。“虽然公正起见,逮捕和监禁你的人,至少应该给你饭吃。”

“That is not the custom, excellency,” said Peppino.
“阁下,这不是我们的习惯。”佩皮诺说道。

“A bad reason,” replied Danglars, who reckoned on conciliating his keeper; —
“这个理由不好,”丹格拉尔斯回答说,他打算讨好他的监视者; —

“but I am content. Let me have some dinner!”
“但是我满意了。给我来点晚餐吧!”

“At once! What would your excellency like?”
“马上来!阁下想要什么?”

And Peppino placed his pan on the ground, so that the steam rose directly under the nostrils of Danglars. —
佩皮诺把锅放在地上,让蒸汽直接冲到丹格拉尔斯的鼻子下。 —

“Give your orders.”
“请下命令。”

“Have you kitchens here?”
“这里有厨房吗?”

“Kitchens?—of course—complete ones.”
“厨房?——当然——一应俱全。”

“And cooks?”
“有厨师吗?”

“Excellent!”
“非常好!”

“Well, a fowl, fish, game,—it signifies little, so that I eat.”
“好吧,有鸡、鱼、野味也无所谓,只要我能吃。”

“As your excellency pleases. You mentioned a fowl, I think?”
“阁下请吩咐。您刚才提到过鸡,是吗?”

“Yes, a fowl.”
“是的,一只鸡。”

Peppino, turning around, shouted, “A fowl for his excellency! —
佩皮诺转身大喊道:“阁下要一只鸡! —

” His voice yet echoed in the archway when a handsome, graceful, and half-naked young man appeared, bearing a fowl in a silver dish on his head, without the assistance of his hands.
“他的声音还在拱门回荡时,一个英俊、优雅且半裸的年轻人出现了,他不用手的帮助,头上托着一个银盘,上面放着一只家禽。

“I could almost believe myself at the Café de Paris,” murmured Danglars.
“我几乎能相信自己置身于巴黎咖啡馆,”当时当格拉尔低语道。

“Here, your excellency,” said Peppino, taking the fowl from the young bandit and placing it on the worm-eaten table, which with the stool and the goat-skin bed formed the entire furniture of the cell. —
“阁下,请看这里,”佩皮诺说着,从年轻劫匪手中接过家禽,放在那张被蛀虫蚕食的桌子上,这张桌子连同凳子和羊皮床便是这个牢房的全部家具。 —

Danglars asked for a knife and fork.
当格拉尔要求刀叉。

“Here, excellency,” said Peppino, offering him a little blunt knife and a boxwood fork. —
“阁下,请用这把小钝刀和山茱萸叉,”佩皮诺说着,递给他一把小钝刀和一把木质叉子。 —

Danglars took the knife in one hand and the fork in the other, and was about to cut up the fowl.
当格拉尔一手拿起刀,一手拿起叉,准备剁碎那只鸟。

“Pardon me, excellency,” said Peppino, placing his hand on the banker’s shoulder; —
“请您先原谅我,阁下,”佩皮诺把手放在银行家的肩上说道; —

“people pay here before they eat. They might not be satisfied, and——”
“在这里,人们在用餐前付款。他们可能不满意,那就——”

“Ah, ha,” thought Danglars, “this is not so much like Paris, except that I shall probably be skinned! —
“啊,哈,”当格拉尔心想,“这一点都不像巴黎,就是我可能会被剥光皮!” —

Never mind, I’ll fix that all right. I have always heard how cheap poultry is in Italy; —
算了,我会把这个解决的。我一直听说羽毛鸟在意大利很便宜; —

I should think a fowl is worth about twelve sous at Rome.—There, ” he said, throwing a louis down.
我觉得在罗马一只家禽值大约12个苏。- 他一边说着,一边抛下了一卢易士。

Peppino picked up the louis, and Danglars again prepared to carve the fowl.
Peppino拾起那卢易士,Danglars再次准备切割这只家禽。

“Stay a moment, your excellency,” said Peppino, rising; “you still owe me something.”
“稍等一下,阁下,” Peppino说着站起身来,”你还欠我一些钱。”

“I said they would skin me,” thought Danglars; —
“我说了他们会坑害我,” Danglars想。 —

but resolving to resist the extortion, he said, “Come, how much do I owe you for this fowl?”
但决定抵制敲诈勒索,他说, “来吧,我欠你这只家禽多少钱?”

“Your excellency has given me a louis on account.”
“阁下已经支付了我一个卢易士的定金。”

“A louis on account for a fowl?”
“为一只家禽支付一个卢易士的定金?”

“Certainly; and your excellency now owes me 4,999 louis.”
“当然了;阁下现在欠我4,999个卢易士。”

Danglars opened his enormous eyes on hearing this gigantic joke.
听到这个天大的玩笑,Danglars睁大了眼睛。

“Very droll,” he muttered, “very droll indeed,” and he again began to carve the fowl, when Peppino stopped the baron’s right hand with his left, and held out his other hand.
“很好笑,”他嘀咕道,”确实非常好笑。” 他再次开始切割这只家禽时,Peppino用左手阻止了男爵的右手,并伸出了另一只手。

“Come, now,” he said.
“来吧,现在。”他说。

“Is it not a joke?” said Danglars.
“这是一个笑话吗?” Danglars说。

“We never joke,” replied Peppino, solemn as a Quaker.
“我们从不开玩笑。”佩皮诺一本正经地回答道。

“What! A hundred thousand francs for a fowl!”
“什么!一只鸡就要一千法郎!”

“Ah, excellency, you cannot imagine how hard it is to rear fowls in these horrible caves!”
“啊,阁下,您无法想象在这些可怕的洞穴中要养活一只鸡有多么困难!”

“Come, come, this is very droll—very amusing—I allow; —
“来吧,来吧,这非常滑稽—非常有趣—我允许; —

but, as I am very hungry, pray allow me to eat. —
但是,我非常饿,求您让我吃吧。 —

Stay, here is another louis for you.”
等等,这是给你的另一枚路易。”

“Then that will make only 4,998 louis more,” said Peppino with the same indifference. —
“那么只剩下4,998枚路易了。”佩皮诺漠然地说道。 —

“I shall get them all in time.”
“我会把它们全部赚到的。”

“Oh, as for that,” said Danglars, angry at this prolongation of the jest, —“as for that you won’t get them at all. —
“哦,关于这一点,”当党格拉发现这个玩笑被拖延时生气地说道,“关于这一点,你根本赚不到。 —

Go to the devil! You do not know with whom you have to deal!”
去见鬼吧!你不知道正在与谁打交道!”

Peppino made a sign, and the youth hastily removed the fowl. —
佩皮诺做了个手势,年轻人迅速把鸡拿走了。 —

Danglars threw himself upon his goat-skin, and Peppino, reclosing the door, again began eating his peas and bacon. —
党格拉瘫倒在羊皮上,佩皮诺又关上门,继续吃他的豌豆和培根。 —

Though Danglars could not see Peppino, the noise of his teeth allowed no doubt as to his occupation. —
尽管党格拉看不见佩皮诺,但他咀嚼的声音让人毫不怀疑他的行动。 —

He was certainly eating, and noisily too, like an ill-bred man. —
他确实在吃饭,而且还吃得非常大声,像个没有教养的人。 —

“Brute!” said Danglars. Peppino pretended not to hear him, and without even turning his head continued to eat slowly. —
“畜生!”丹格拉尔斯咒骂道。佩皮诺装作没听见,甚至不回头,慢慢地继续吃着。 —

Danglars’ stomach felt so empty, that it seemed as if it would be impossible ever to fill it again; —
丹格拉尔斯的胃感觉空得一点儿都没剩下,仿佛不可能再填饱。 —

still he had patience for another half-hour, which appeared to him like a century. —
但他还是忍耐了另外半个小时,对他来说仿佛过了一个世纪般漫长。 —

He again arose and went to the door.
他又站起来走向了门口。

“Come, sir, do not keep me starving here any longer, but tell me what they want.”
“来吧,先生,不要再让我在这里挨饿了,告诉我他们到底想要什么。”

“Nay, your excellency, it is you who should tell us what you want. —
“不,阁下,应该是您告诉我们您需要什么。 —

Give your orders, and we will execute them.”
下达您的命令,我们会执行。”

“Then open the door directly.” Peppino obeyed. —
“那就立刻打开门。”佩皮诺照做了。 —

“Now look here, I want something to eat! —
“现在听好,我要吃东西! —

To eat—do you hear?”
吃东西——你听明白了吗?”

“Are you hungry?”
“您饿吗?”

“Come, you understand me.”
“来吧,你明白我的意思。”

“What would your excellency like to eat?”
“阁下想吃点什么?”

“A piece of dry bread, since the fowls are beyond all price in this accursed place.”
“一块干面包吧,因为在这该死的地方禽类都贵得离谱。”

“Bread? Very well. Holloa, there, some bread!” he called. —
“面包?好吧。喂!这儿,来点面包!”他喊道。 —

The youth brought a small loaf. “How much?” asked Danglars.
小伙子拿来了一个小面包。“多少钱?”当格拉问道。

“Four thousand nine hundred and ninety-eight louis,” said Peppino; —
“498个路易”,佩皮诺说。 —

“You have paid two louis in advance.”
“你已经预付了两个路易。”

“What? One hundred thousand francs for a loaf?”
“什么?一块面包要十万法郎吗?”

“One hundred thousand francs,” repeated Peppino.
“十万法郎,”佩皮诺重复道。

“But you only asked 100,000 francs for a fowl!”
“可你只要一百万法郎一个家禽!”

“We have a fixed price for all our provisions. —
“我们对所有食品都有固定价格。 —

It signifies nothing whether you eat much or little—whether you have ten dishes or one—it is always the same price.”
无论你吃多少少或多少多,无论你点十个菜还是一个菜,价格总是一样的。”

“What, still keeping up this silly jest? My dear fellow, it is perfectly ridiculous—stupid! —
“什么,还在坚持这个愚蠢的玩笑?亲爱的朋友,这太荒谬了——愚蠢! —

You had better tell me at once that you intend starving me to death.”
你最好立刻告诉我你打算饿死我。”

“Oh, dear, no, your excellency, unless you intend to commit suicide. Pay and eat.”
“哦,亲爱的阁下,除非你打算自杀。付钱吃吧。”

“And what am I to pay with, brute?” said Danglars, enraged. —
“我用什么付钱,你这畜生?”当格拉愤怒地说。 —

“Do you suppose I carry 100,000 francs in my pocket?”
“你以为我口袋里装了十万法郎吗?”

“Your excellency has 5,050,000 francs in your pocket; —
“阁下的口袋里有505万元法郎; —

that will be fifty fowls at 100,000 francs apiece, and half a fowl for the 50,000.”
那将购买五十只鸡,每只10万元法郎,以及一半鸡只,价格为5万元。”

Danglars shuddered. The bandage fell from his eyes, and he understood the joke, which he did not think quite so stupid as he had done just before.
唐吉诺感到颤抖。他眼前的迷雾散去了,他明白了这个玩笑的意思,觉得它并不像他之前认为的那么愚蠢。

“Come,” he said, “if I pay you the 100,000 francs, will you be satisfied, and allow me to eat at my ease?”
“来吧,”他说,“如果我付给你10万元法郎,你会满意,并允许我安心地用餐吗?”

“Certainly,” said Peppino.
“当然,”佩皮诺说。

“But how can I pay them?”
“但是我怎么支付呢?”

“Oh, nothing easier; you have an account open with Messrs. —
“哦,很简单;您在罗马Banchi大街的汤姆森和法显公司有一笔账户; —

Thomson & French, Via dei Banchi, Rome; —
请给我开一张998卢瓦的汇票,抬头是这些绅士们,我们的银行家会办理。” —

give me a draft for 4,998 louis on these gentlemen, and our banker shall take it.”
唐吉诺觉得最好还是乖乖地遵守。于是他拿起佩皮诺递给他的钢笔、墨水和纸张,写下了汇票,并签了字。

Danglars thought it as well to comply with a good grace, so he took the pen, ink, and paper Peppino offered him, wrote the draft, and signed it.
“在这里,”他说,“这是一张即期汇票。”

“Here,” he said, “here is a draft at sight.”
“这是你的鸡只。”

“And here is your fowl.”
唐吉诺在切割这只鸡时叹了口气。这只鸡看起来相对于它的价格来说非常瘦弱。

Danglars sighed while he carved the fowl; it appeared very thin for the price it had cost. —

As for Peppino, he examined the paper attentively, put it into his pocket, and continued eating his peas.
至于 Peppino,他仔细地检查了纸张,放进口袋里,然后继续吃他的豌豆。