The Benedetto affair, as it was called at the Palais, and by people in general, had produced a tremendous sensation. —
被称为“贝内代托事件”的事件在宫殿和大众中引起了巨大的轰动。 —

Frequenting the Café de Paris, the Boulevard de Gand, and the Bois de Boulogne, during his brief career of splendor, the false Cavalcanti had formed a host of acquaintances. —
在他短暂的辉煌生涯期间,这个冒充的卡瓦尔坎蒂在巴黎的咖啡店、甘德大道和布洛涅森林频繁出入,结交了许多熟人。 —

The papers had related his various adventures, both as the man of fashion and the galley-slave; —
报纸上报道了他作为时尚人和苦役犯的各种冒险经历。 —

and as everyone who had been personally acquainted with Prince Andrea Cavalcanti experienced a lively curiosity in his fate, they all determined to spare no trouble in endeavoring to witness the trial of M. Benedetto for the murder of his comrade in chains.
由于所有亲自认识安德烈·卡瓦尔坎蒂王子的人对他的命运都非常好奇,他们决定不遗余力地努力见证贝内代托先生因谋杀同伴而受审的过程。

In the eyes of many, Benedetto appeared, if not a victim to, at least an instance of, the fallibility of the law. —
在许多人眼中,贝内代托似乎是法律的一个错误,至少是一个例子。 —

M. Cavalcanti, his father, had been seen in Paris, and it was expected that he would re-appear to claim the illustrious outcast. —
他的父亲卡瓦尔坎蒂先生曾经在巴黎被看到,人们预计他会重新出现并声称这个声名狼藉的被逐者。 —

Many, also, who were not aware of the circumstances attending his withdrawal from Paris, were struck with the worthy appearance, the gentlemanly bearing, and the knowledge of the world displayed by the old patrician, who certainly played the nobleman very well, so long as he said nothing, and made no arithmetical calculations.
许多人对这位高贵老爷子的退场情况一无所知,他们对他那儒雅的外表、绅士的风度以及对世故的了解感到惊讶,只要他不说话、不进行算术运算,他确实是演绎了一位贵族的角色。

As for the accused himself, many remembered him as being so amiable, so handsome, and so liberal, that they chose to think him the victim of some conspiracy, since in this world large fortunes frequently excite the malevolence and jealousy of some unknown enemy.
至于被告本人,许多人记得他是如此和蔼可亲、英俊潇洒、慷慨大方,他们选择相信他是某种阴谋的受害者,因为在这个世界上,大财富常常激起一些未知敌人的恶意和嫉妒。

Everyone, therefore, ran to the court; some to witness the sight, others to comment upon it. —
因此,所有人都涌向法庭,有些人去目睹这一景象,其他人则去评论。 —

From seven o’clock in the morning a crowd was stationed at the iron gates, and an hour before the trial commenced the hall was full of the privileged. —
从早上七点钟起,人群就聚集在铁门前,一小时之前审判开始,大厅已经挤满了特权人士。 —

Before the entrance of the magistrates, and indeed frequently afterwards, a court of justice, on days when some especial trial is to take place, resembles a drawing-room where many persons recognize each other and converse if they can do so without losing their seats; —
在土地王侯入场前,实际上通常是在这之后,审判庭在某个特殊审判日子里,就像一个大厅,许多人彼此认出并聊天,只要不失去座位的话; —

or, if they are separated by too great a number of lawyers, communicate by signs.
或者,如果他们被太多的律师隔开,就用手势交流。

It was one of the magnificent autumn days which make amends for a short summer; —
这是一个美丽的秋日,弥补了短暂的夏季; —

the clouds which M. de Villefort had perceived at sunrise had all disappeared as if by magic, and one of the softest and most brilliant days of September shone forth in all its splendor.
维尔福先生在日出时看到的云消失得无影无踪,九月最柔和、最辉煌的一天照耀着整个世界。

Beauchamp, one of the kings of the press, and therefore claiming the right of a throne everywhere, was eying everybody through his monocle. —
作为新闻界的一位大王,博尚眼睛里透过他的单片眼镜打量着每个人。 —

He perceived Château-Renaud and Debray, who had just gained the good graces of a sergeant-at-arms, and who had persuaded the latter to let them stand before, instead of behind him, as they ought to have done. —
他注意到夏多那-雷诺和德布雷两人刚刚赢得了治安官的好感,并且说服后者让他们站在他的前面,而不是后面,他们本应该站在后面。 —

The worthy sergeant had recognized the minister’s secretary and the millionnaire, and, by way of paying extra attention to his noble neighbors, promised to keep their places while they paid a visit to Beauchamp.
值得尊敬的中尉认出了部长的秘书和那位百万富翁,为了更加关注他的高贵邻居,他保证在他们去拜访博歇的时候,会保持他们的座位。

“Well,” said Beauchamp, “we shall see our friend!”
“好吧,”博歇说,“我们将会见到我们的朋友!”

“Yes, indeed!” replied Debray. “That worthy prince. Deuce take those Italian princes!”
“是的,确实!”德布雷回答道。“那位值得称道的王子。该死的那些意大利王子!”

“A man, too, who could boast of Dante for a genealogist, and could reckon back to the Divina Comedia.”
“一个还能够以但丁为家谱史并追溯到《神曲》的家族!”德布雷说。

“A nobility of the rope!” said Château-Renaud phlegmatically.
“一种绞刑的贵族!”夏多当很冷静地说。

“He will be condemned, will he not?” asked Debray of Beauchamp.
“他会被判刑的,是吗?”德布雷问博歇。

“My dear fellow, I think we should ask you that question; —
“亲爱的朋友,这个问题我们应该问你;你认为呢?” —

you know such news much better than we do. —
你比我们更了解这个消息。 —

Did you see the president at the minister’s last night?”
你昨天晚上在部长那里见到总统了吗?

“Yes.”
是的。

“What did he say?”
他说了什么?

“Something which will surprise you.”
他说了一些会让你惊讶的事情。

“Oh, make haste and tell me, then; it is a long time since that has happened.”
哦,快告诉我,很久没有发生这种事了。

“Well, he told me that Benedetto, who is considered a serpent of subtlety and a giant of cunning, is really but a very commonplace, silly rascal, and altogether unworthy of the experiments that will be made on his phrenological organs after his death.”
好吧,他告诉我,被认为是狡猾的毒蛇和聪明的巨人的贝内代托实际上只是一个非常平凡、愚蠢的家伙,完全不值得在他死后对他的颅骨进行实验。

“Bah,” said Beauchamp, “he played the prince very well.”
哼,贝朗尚说道,“他演得非常像个王子。”

“Yes, for you who detest those unhappy princes, Beauchamp, and are always delighted to find fault with them; —
是的,对于你这个厌恶那些不幸的王子的人来说,贝朗尚,总喜欢找他们的错; —

but not for me, who discover a gentleman by instinct, and who scent out an aristocratic family like a very bloodhound of heraldry.”
但对于我来说,我凭直觉可以发现一个绅士,而且可以像一只纹章的猎犬一样追踪一个贵族家族。

“Then you never believed in the principality?”
那你从不相信这个公国吗?

“Yes.—in the principality, but not in the prince.”
是的,在这个公国,但不是在这个王子身上。

“Not so bad,” said Beauchamp; “still, I assure you, he passed very well with many people; —
“还不错。”博修安说,“实际上,我向你保证,他在很多人面前表现得非常好; —

I saw him at the ministers’ houses.”
我在部长们的家里看到他。”

“Ah, yes,” said Château-Renaud. “The idea of thinking ministers understand anything about princes!”
“啊,是的,”沙托-勒诺说。“竟然还会觉得部长们懂得王子的事情!”

“There is something in what you have just said,” said Beauchamp, laughing.
“你刚才说的有些道理。”博修安笑着说。

“But,” said Debray to Beauchamp, “if I spoke to the president, you must have been with the procureur.”
“但是,”德布雷对博修安说,“如果我和总统说话,那么你肯定是和检察长在一起。”

“It was an impossibility; for the last week M. de Villefort has secluded himself. —
“那是不可能的,因为在过去的一周里,维尔福先生一直躲在家里。 —

It is natural enough; this strange chain of domestic afflictions, followed by the no less strange death of his daughter——”
这很正常;他家遭遇了一连串奇怪的家庭灾难,接着还有他女儿的奇怪死亡。”

“Strange? What do you mean, Beauchamp?”
“奇怪?你是什么意思,博修安?”

“Oh, yes; do you pretend that all this has been unobserved at the minister’s? —
“哦,是的;难道你认为部长们没有注意到这一切吗? —

” said Beauchamp, placing his eye-glass in his eye, where he tried to make it remain.
”博修安说着,将眼镜放在眼睛上,努力让它保持在那里。

“My dear sir,” said Château-Renaud, “allow me to tell you that you do not understand that manœuvre with the eye-glass half so well as Debray. —
“亲爱的先生,”夏朗雷诺说,“请允许我告诉你,你对那种用半副眼镜的动作了解得远不如德布雷。” —

Give him a lesson, Debray.”
“给他上一课,德布雷。”

“Stay,” said Beauchamp, “surely I am not deceived.”
“等等,”博尚问道,“我一定是被骗了。”

“What is it?”
“怎么了?”

“It is she!”
“是她!”

“Whom do you mean?”
“你指的是谁?”

“They said she had left.”
“他们说她已经离开了。”

“Mademoiselle Eugénie?” said Château-Renaud; “has she returned?”
“欧仁尼小姐?”夏朗雷诺说,“她回来了吗?”

“No, but her mother.”
“不是,是她母亲。”

“Madame Danglars? Nonsense! Impossible!” said Château-Renaud; —
“当然不可能!”夏朗雷诺说,“那是不可能的!她女儿飞走才十天,她丈夫破产才三天!” —

“only ten days after the flight of her daughter, and three days from the bankruptcy of her husband?”
德布雷微微脸红,目光随着博尚瞥了一眼的方向。

Debray colored slightly, and followed with his eyes the direction of Beauchamp’s glance.
“来吧,”他说,“只是一个戴着面纱的女士,可能是某个外国公主,也许是卡瓦尔坎蒂的母亲。

“Come,” he said, “it is only a veiled lady, some foreign princess, perhaps the mother of Cavalcanti. —
“但刚才你们在谈论一个非常有趣的话题,博尚。” —

But you were just speaking on a very interesting topic, Beauchamp.”
“是吗?”

“I?”
“我?”

“Yes; you were telling us about the extraordinary death of Valentine.”
“是的,你刚才正在告诉我们关于瓦伦丁的非同寻常的死亡。”

“Ah, yes, so I was. But how is it that Madame de Villefort is not here?”
“啊,是的,我就是这么说的。但是为什么维尔福夫人不在这里呢?”

“Poor, dear woman,” said Debray, “she is no doubt occupied in distilling balm for the hospitals, or in making cosmetics for herself or friends. —
“可怜的女人,”德布雷说,“她肯定正在为医院提炼香膏,或者为自己或朋友制作化妆品。” —

Do you know she spends two or three thousand crowns a year in this amusement? —
“你知道吗,她每年在这项娱乐上花掉两三千金币。” —

But I wonder she is not here. I should have been pleased to see her, for I like her very much.”
“但我奇怪她为什么不在这里。我很想见到她,因为我非常喜欢她。”

“And I hate her,” said Château-Renaud.
“而我恨她,”沙托-勒诺说。

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“I do not know. Why do we love? Why do we hate? I detest her, from antipathy.”
“我不知道。为什么我们爱?为什么我们恨?我讨厌她,出于厌恶。”

“Or, rather, by instinct.”
“或者,更确切地说,出于本能。”

“Perhaps so. But to return to what you were saying, Beauchamp.”
“也许吧。但是回到你刚才说的话题上,博尚。”

“Well, do you know why they die so multitudinously at M. de Villefort’s?”
“那么,你知道为什么维尔福先生那里人们经常死去吗?”

“‘Multitudinously’ is good,” said Château-Renaud.
“‘经常死去’说得好,”沙托-勒诺说。

“My good fellow, you’ll find the word in Saint-Simon.”
“老兄,你会在圣西蒙的著作中找到这个词。”

“But the thing itself is at M. de Villefort’s; but let’s get back to the subject.”
“但这件事确实发生在维尔福先生那里。但让我们回到话题上来。”

“Talking of that,” said Debray, “Madame was making inquiries about that house, which for the last three months has been hung with black.”
“说到这个”,德布雷说,“玛达正在打听那座房子,最近三个月里一直都是黑挂着。”

“Who is Madame?” asked Château-Renaud.
“玛达是谁?”恰托-勒诺问道。

“The minister’s wife, pardieu!
“部长的妻子,天啊!”

“Oh, your pardon! I never visit ministers; I leave that to the princes.”
“哦,对不起!我从不拜访部长们;这事我都留给王子们去办。”

“Really, you were only before sparkling, but now you are brilliant; —
“真的,你之前只是闪闪发光,现在你变得闪耀夺目; —

take compassion on us, or, like Jupiter, you will wither us up.”
可怜可怜我们吧,否则你会像朱庇特一样将我们消灭。”

“I will not speak again,” said Château-Renaud; —
“我不会再说话了,”恰托-勒诺说。 —

“pray have compassion upon me, and do not take up every word I say.”
“请对我怜悯一下,不要对我所说的每一个字都听得那么详细。”

“Come, let us endeavor to get to the end of our story, Beauchamp; —
“来吧,我们努力把故事讲完,波什昂; —

I told you that yesterday Madame made inquiries of me upon the subject; —
我告诉过你,昨天夫人向我打听了这个问题; —

enlighten me, and I will then communicate my information to her.”
给我解释一下,然后我会把这个消息告诉她。”

“Well, gentlemen, the reason people die so multitudinously (I like the word) at M. de Villefort’s is that there is an assassin in the house!”
“嗯,先生们,维勒福先生家中人们为什么会如此频繁地死亡(我喜欢这个词)是因为屋子里有个杀手!”

The two young men shuddered, for the same idea had more than once occurred to them.
两个年轻人不禁一阵颤抖,因为同样的念头不止一次出现在他们心中。

“And who is the assassin;” they asked together.
“那个杀手是谁?”他们同声问道。

“Young Edward!” A burst of laughter from the auditors did not in the least disconcert the speaker, who continued,—“Yes, gentlemen; —
“小爱德华!”听众们发出一阵笑声,但讲话者并不为此所困扰,他继续说道,“是的,先生们; —

Edward, the infant phenomenon, who is quite an adept in the art of killing.”
爱德华,这个年幼的天才,对杀人的艺术非常擅长。”

“You are jesting.”
“你在开玩笑。”

“Not at all. I yesterday engaged a servant, who had just left M. de Villefort—I intend sending him away tomorrow, for he eats so enormously, to make up for the fast imposed upon him by his terror in that house. —
“一点也不是。我昨天雇佣了一个仆人,他刚从维尔福先生那里离职——我准备明天将他解雇,因为他吃得太多了,以弥补他在那所房子里被吓得不能进食的时间。 —

Well, now listen.”
“好了,听着。”

“We are listening.”
“我们在听。”

“It appears the dear child has obtained possession of a bottle containing some drug, which he every now and then uses against those who have displeased him. —
“听说这个可爱的孩子弄到了一瓶药物,他时不时会用来对付那些惹他不悦的人。 —

First, M. and Madame de Saint-Méran incurred his displeasure, so he poured out three drops of his elixir—three drops were sufficient; —
“首先,圣梅兰先生和夫人招惹到了他,所以他滴了三滴他的仙药——三滴已经足够; —

then followed Barrois, the old servant of M. Noirtier, who sometimes rebuffed this little wretch—he therefore received the same quantity of the elixir; —
“接着是巴罗瓦,诺尔提耶先生的老仆人,他有时会对付这个小鬼,所以他也得到了同样数量的仙药; —

the same happened to Valentine, of whom he was jealous; —
“瓦伦蒂娜同样受到了他的嫉妒,所以她也得到了同样的数量的仙药; —

he gave her the same dose as the others, and all was over for her as well as the rest.”
他给了她和其他人一样的剂量,她的一切都结束了。

“Why, what nonsense are you telling us?” said Château-Renaud.
“嗯,你在说什么胡话?”夏多雷诺说。

“Yes, it is an extraordinary story,” said Beauchamp; “is it not?”
“是啊,真是个奇怪的故事,不是吗?”博尚说。

“It is absurd,” said Debray.
德布雷说:“这太荒谬了。”

“Ah,” said Beauchamp, “you doubt me? —
“啊,你怀疑我吗?”贝尚说。 —

Well, you can ask my servant, or rather him who will no longer be my servant tomorrow, it was the talk of the house.”
那你可以问我的仆人,或者更确切地说,明天就不再是我的仆人了,这在屋子里谁都知道。

“And this elixir, where is it? what is it?”
“那么这个解药在哪里?是什么东西?”

“The child conceals it.”
“孩子藏起来了。”

“But where did he find it?”
“可他是在哪里找到的呢?”

“In his mother’s laboratory.”
“在他母亲的实验室里找到的。”

“Does his mother then, keep poisons in her laboratory?”
“那他的母亲在实验室里养毒药吗?”

“How can I tell? You are questioning me like a king’s attorney. —
“我怎么知道?你像国王的检察官一样质问我。” —

I only repeat what I have been told, and like my informant I can do no more. —
“我只是重复我听说的,和我的消息来源一样,我也无能为力。” —

The poor devil would eat nothing, from fear.”
“这可怜的家伙因为害怕什么都不敢吃。”

“It is incredible!”
“这太难以置信了!”

“No, my dear fellow, it is not at all incredible. —
“不,亲爱的朋友,这一点也不难以置信。 —

You saw the child pass through the Rue Richelieu last year, who amused himself with killing his brothers and sisters by sticking pins in their ears while they slept. —
“你去年看到那个孩子经过里基耶街,他在他们睡觉时通过把针插进他们的耳朵来杀害他的兄弟姐妹。 —

The generation who follow us are very precocious.”
“我们之后的一代很早熟。”

“Come, Beauchamp,” said Château-Renaud, “I will bet anything you do not believe a word of all you have been telling us. —
“来吧,博沙朗,我打赌你根本不相信你告诉我们的一句话。 —

But I do not see the Count of Monte Cristo here.”
“但是我没有看到蒙蒂克里斯托伯爵在这里。”

“He is worn out,” said Debray; “besides, he could not well appear in public, since he has been the dupe of the Cavalcanti, who, it appears, presented themselves to him with false letters of credit, and cheated him out of 100,000 francs upon the hypothesis of this principality.”
“他筋疲力尽了,”德布雷说。“而且,因为他被卡瓦尔坎蒂欺骗了,他不能公开露面。他们似乎用虚假的信用证明书出现在他面前,以这个国家为前提,骗取了他10万法郎。”

“By the way, M. de Château-Renaud,” asked Beauchamp, “how is Morrel?”
“顺便问一下,沙托雷纳先生,莫雷尔怎么样了?”

Ma foi, I have called three times without once seeing him. —
“天哪,我已经去找他三次了,一次都没有见到他。 —

Still, his sister did not seem uneasy, and told me that though she had not seen him for two or three days, she was sure he was well.”
然而,他的妹妹似乎并不担心,告诉我尽管她已经两三天没见到他了,但她确定他很好。

“Ah, now I think of it, the Count of Monte Cristo cannot appear in the hall,” said Beauchamp.
“啊,我现在想起来了,蒙特克里斯托伯爵不能出现在大厅里,”博沙姆说道。

“Why not?”
“为什么?”

“Because he is an actor in the drama.”
“因为他是这出戏的演员。”

“Has he assassinated anyone, then?”
“难道他杀了人吗?”

“No, on the contrary, they wished to assassinate him. —
“不,恰恰相反,他们想要暗杀他。” —

You know that it was in leaving his house that M. de Caderousse was murdered by his friend Benedetto. —
“你知道,卡德鲁斯先生是在离开他家时被他的朋友本尼迪托谋杀的。” —

You know that the famous waistcoat was found in his house, containing the letter which stopped the signature of the marriage-contract. —
“你知道那件闻名遐迩的背心是在他家被发现的,里面有那封使婚约签字停止的信。” —

Do you see the waistcoat? There it is, all blood-stained, on the desk, as a testimony of the crime.”
“你看见那件背心了吗?就在桌子上,沾满了血,作为对犯罪的证明。”

“Ah, very good.”
“噢,非常好。”

“Hush, gentlemen, here is the court; let us go back to our places.”
“嘘,先生们,法庭来了,让我们回到座位上去。”

A noise was heard in the hall; the sergeant called his two patrons with an energetic “hem! —
大厅里传来一阵噪音;中士用力地呼唤着他的两位赞助人,“嘿!” —

” and the door-keeper appearing, called out with that shrill voice peculiar to his order, ever since the days of Beaumarchais:
“The court, gentlemen! ”

“The court, gentlemen!”
“法庭开庭了,各位先生!”