It was in the warmest days of July, when in due course of time the Saturday arrived upon which the ball was to take place at M. de Morcerf’s. —
这是7月最炎热的日子,如期星期六到了,当天晚上在莫赛夫人家举办舞会。 —

It was ten o’clock at night; the branches of the great trees in the garden of the count’s house stood out boldly against the azure canopy of heaven, which was studded with golden stars, but where the last fleeting clouds of a vanishing storm yet lingered.
此刻正是晚上十点钟;院子里伟大的树木的枝条在穹幕般的天空上显得鲜明,星星点缀其中,但最后一缕即将消失的风云仍然挂在那里。

From the apartments on the ground floor might be heard the sound of music, with the whirl of the waltz and galop, while brilliant streams of light shone through the openings of the Venetian blinds. —
从底层的房间里传来音乐声,华尔兹和加洛普的旋律,同时金色的光芒透过威尼斯百叶窗的缝隙照射出来。 —

At this moment the garden was only occupied by about ten servants, who had just received orders from their mistress to prepare the supper, the serenity of the weather continuing to increase. —
此时花园里只有大约十个仆人,他们刚刚接到女主人的命令,要准备宵夜,天气的宁静不断加强。 —

Until now, it had been undecided whether the supper should take place in the dining-room, or under a long tent erected on the lawn, but the beautiful blue sky, studded with stars, had settled the question in favor of the lawn.
直到现在,宴会是在餐厅还是在草坪上搭起的长帐篷里举行还没有决定下来,但美丽的蓝天,星星点缀的天空解决了这个问题,支持在草坪上举行。

The gardens were illuminated with colored lanterns, according to the Italian custom, and, as is usual in countries where the luxuries of the table—the rarest of all luxuries in their complete form—are well understood, the supper-table was loaded with wax-lights and flowers.
花园被彩色灯笼装饰,按照意大利的习俗,而且正如在那些完全理解餐桌上奢华的国家一样,宴会桌上摆满了蜡烛和鲜花。

At the time the Countess of Morcerf returned to the rooms, after giving her orders, many guests were arriving, more attracted by the charming hospitality of the countess than by the distinguished position of the count; —
当莫尔塞夫伯爵夫人在下达命令后回到房间时,许多客人正在到达,更多的是受到伯爵夫人迷人的好客之道的吸引,而不是因为伯爵的显赫身份; —

for, owing to the good taste of Mercédès, one was sure of finding some devices at her entertainment worthy of describing, or even copying in case of need.
因为多亏了梅赛德斯的品味,人们可以确定在她的娱乐活动中会发现一些值得描述甚至在需要时可以复制的设备。

Madame Danglars, in whom the events we have related had caused deep anxiety, had hesitated about going to Madame de Morcerf’s, when during the morning her carriage happened to meet that of Villefort. —
正是因为发生的事件使得丹格拉夫人非常焦虑,她迟疑着是否要去莫赛夫人那儿,就在那天上午,她的马车碰巧碰到了维尔福先生的马车。 —

The latter made a sign, and when the carriages had drawn close together, said:
维尔福先生示意一下,当马车靠近后说道:

“You are going to Madame de Morcerf’s, are you not?”
“你要去莫赛夫人那儿吗?”

“No,” replied Madame Danglars, “I am too ill.”
“不,”丹格拉夫人回答道,”我病得太重了。”

“You are wrong,” replied Villefort, significantly; —
“你错了,”维尔福先生回答道,语气中带着一丝隐晦的意味; —

“it is important that you should be seen there.”
“你出现在那儿很重要。”

“Do you think so?” asked the baroness.
“你这么认为吗?” 丹格拉夫人问道。

“I do.”
“是的。”

“In that case I will go.”
“那好,我会去的。”

And the two carriages passed on towards their different destinations. —
于是两辆马车朝着不同的目的地驶去。 —

Madame Danglars therefore came, not only beautiful in person, but radiant with splendor; —
因此,丹格拉夫人出现时,不仅容貌秀美,还闪耀着光芒; —

she entered by one door at the time when Mercédès appeared at the door. —
她从一扇门进入,此时梅赛德斯也从另一扇门出现。 —

The countess took Albert to meet Madame Danglars. —
伯爵带着阿尔贝去迎接丹格拉夫人。 —

He approached, paid her some well merited compliments on her toilet, and offered his arm to conduct her to a seat. —
他接近了她,对她的打扮给予了一些实至名归的赞美,并主动伸出胳膊带她到一个座位上。 —

Albert looked around him.
阿尔伯特环顾四周。

“You are looking for my daughter?” said the baroness, smiling.
“你在找我女儿吗?”男爵夫人笑着说道。

“I confess it,” replied Albert. “Could you have been so cruel as not to bring her?”
“我承认,”阿尔伯特回答道,”难道你竟然如此残忍,连她也不带来吗?”

“Calm yourself. She has met Mademoiselle de Villefort, and has taken her arm; —
“冷静点。她已经见到了维福小姐,并搀着她的手臂; —

see, they are following us, both in white dresses, one with a bouquet of camellias, the other with one of myosotis. —
看,她们俩都穿着白色的连衣裙,一个手持山茶花花束,另一个手持勿忘我花束。 —

But tell me——”
但是告诉我——”

“Well, what do you wish to know?”
“好吧,你想知道什么?”

“Will not the Count of Monte Cristo be here tonight?”
“今晚蒙特克里斯托伯爵会来吗?”

“Seventeen!” replied Albert.
“十七!”阿尔伯特回答道。

“What do you mean?”
“你是什么意思?”

“I only mean that the count seems the rage,” replied the viscount, smiling, “and that you are the seventeenth person that has asked me the same question. —
“我只是说伯爵似乎很受欢迎,”维康特子爵笑着回答道,” 你是第十七个问我同样问题的人。 —

The count is in fashion; I congratulate him upon it.”
伯爵现在很时尚,我向他表示祝贺。”

“And have you replied to everyone as you have to me?”
“那你对每个人都是这样回答的吗?”

“Ah, to be sure, I have not answered you; —
“啊,确实,我没有回答你; —

be satisfied, we shall have this ‘lion’; —
请放心,我们将见到这位’狮子’; —

we are among the privileged ones.”
我们是幸运的一群。

“Were you at the Opera yesterday?”
“你昨天在歌剧院吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“He was there.”
“他在那儿。”

“Ah, indeed? And did the eccentric person commit any new originality?”
“哦,是吗?那个古怪的人有没有做出任何新的创意?”

“Can he be seen without doing so? Elssler was dancing in Le Diable boiteux; —
“他能不做吗?埃尔斯勒在《瘸子魔鬼》中跳舞;希腊公主欣喜若狂。在示敬礼后,他将一枚华丽的戒指戴在花束的枝干上,并将其扔给迷人的舞蹈演员,在第三幕中,为了表达对这个礼物的敬意,她戴在手指上出场。” —

the Greek princess was in ecstasies. After the cachucha he placed a magnificent ring on the stem of a bouquet, and threw it to the charming danseuse, who, in the third act, to do honor to the gift, reappeared with it on her finger. —
“那么,希腊公主会来吗?” —

And the Greek princess,—will she be here?”
“不会,你会失去那个乐趣;她在伯爵府上的地位还没有得到充分理解。”

“No, you will be deprived of that pleasure; —
“等一等;把我留在这里,去和试图引起你注意的维尔福夫人说话。” —

her position in the count’s establishment is not sufficiently understood.”
阿尔伯特向当达尔夫人点了点头,走向了维尔福夫人,她见到他时张开了嘴唇。

“Wait; leave me here, and go and speak to Madame de Villefort, who is trying to attract your attention.”
“我打赌,”阿尔伯特打断她说道,” 我知道你刚想说什么。”

Albert bowed to Madame Danglars, and advanced towards Madame de Villefort, whose lips opened as he approached.
“我觉得……”维尔福夫人还没来得及说完。

“I wager anything,” said Albert, interrupting her, “that I know what you were about to say.”
“等等,别走,我要和你说几句话。”

“Well, what is it?”
“嗯,是什么事?”

“If I guess rightly, will you confess it?”
“如果我猜对了,你会承认吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“On your honor?”
“以你的荣誉发誓?”

“On my honor.”
“以我的荣誉发誓。”

“You were going to ask me if the Count of Monte Cristo had arrived, or was expected.”
“你打算问我是否蒙特克里斯托伯爵已经到了或者有没有预计要到。”

“Not at all. It is not of him that I am now thinking. —
“完全不是。我现在想的不是他。” —

I was going to ask you if you had received any news of Monsieur Franz.”
“我本来要问你是否收到了弗朗茨先生的消息。”

“Yes,—yesterday.”
“是的,昨天。”

“What did he tell you?”
“他告诉你什么了?”

“That he was leaving at the same time as his letter.”
“他说他与信函同时离开。”

“Well, now then, the count?”
“好吧,那么现在是伯爵呢?”

“The count will come, of that you may be satisfied.”
“伯爵会来的,你可以放心。”

“You know that he has another name besides Monte Cristo?”
“你知道他除了蒙特克里斯托这个名字还有别的名字吗?”

“No, I did not know it.”
“不,我不知道。”

“Monte Cristo is the name of an island, and he has a family name.”
“蒙特克里斯托是一个岛的名字,他有一个姓氏。”

“I never heard it.”
“我从来没有听说过。”

“Well, then, I am better informed than you; his name is Zaccone.”
“那么,我比你更了解,他的名字是扎科内。”

“It is possible.”
“有可能。”

“He is a Maltese.”
“他是一个马耳他人。”

“That is also possible.
“这也有可能。

“The son of a shipowner.”
“一个船主的儿子。”

“Really, you should relate all this aloud, you would have the greatest success.”
“真的,你应该大声地讲述这一切,你会取得最大的成功。”

“He served in India, discovered a mine in Thessaly, and comes to Paris to establish a mineral water-cure at Auteuil.”
“他在印度服役,在塞萨利发现了一个矿藏,来到巴黎在欧泰伊设立一个矿泉疗养地。”

“Well, I’m sure,” said Morcerf, “this is indeed news! Am I allowed to repeat it?”
“好吧,我确定了,”莫尔塞夫说,“这的确是新闻!我可以转述吗?”

“Yes, but cautiously, tell one thing at a time, and do not say I told you.”
“可以,但要小心谨慎,一次只说一件事,不要说是我告诉你的。”

“Why so?”
“为什么?”

“Because it is a secret just discovered.”
“因为这是一个刚刚被发现的秘密。”

“By whom?”
“是由谁发现的?”

“The police.”
“警察发现的。”

“Then the news originated——”
“然后消息源——”

“At the prefect’s last night. Paris, you can understand, is astonished at the sight of such unusual splendor, and the police have made inquiries.”
“昨晚发生在总部。巴黎可想而知,对于如此不同寻常的辉煌场面感到惊讶,警方已经进行了调查。”

“Well, well! Nothing more is wanting than to arrest the count as a vagabond, on the pretext of his being too rich.”
“嗯,嗯!除了以太富有为借口以拘捕大人作为无业游民之外,什么都不缺。”

“Indeed, that doubtless would have happened if his credentials had not been so favorable.”
“确实,如果他的证件没有那么有利的话,那无疑会发生的。”

“Poor count! And is he aware of the danger he has been in?”
“可怜的大人!他是否意识到自己曾经处于危险之中?”

“I think not.”
“我认为没有。”

“Then it will be but charitable to inform him. When he arrives, I will not fail to do so.”
“那么通知他将是件仁慈的事。当他到达时,我一定会告诉他。”

Just then, a handsome young man, with bright eyes, black hair, and glossy moustache, respectfully bowed to Madame de Villefort. —
正在这时,一个英俊的年轻人,眼睛明亮、黑发和光滑的胡子,对维勒福夫人恭敬地鞠躬。 —

Albert extended his hand.
阿尔伯特伸出了手。

“Madame,” said Albert, “allow me to present to you M. Maximilian Morrel, captain of Spahis, one of our best, and, above all, of our bravest officers.”
“夫人,”阿尔伯特说,“我向您介绍一下马克西米利安·莫雷尔先生,斯帕希旅队的上尉,我们最优秀、最勇敢的军官之一。”

“I have already had the pleasure of meeting this gentleman at Auteuil, at the house of the Count of Monte Cristo, ” replied Madame de Villefort, turning away with marked coldness of manner.
“我已经有幸在奥托伊的蒙蒂克里斯托伯爵的家中见到这位绅士了,”维尔福夫人冷淡地回答,转身离开。

This answer, and especially the tone in which it was uttered, chilled the heart of poor Morrel. —
这个回答,尤其是以这种语气说出来,让可怜的莫雷尔心寒。 —

But a recompense was in store for him; turning around, he saw near the door a beautiful fair face, whose large blue eyes were, without any marked expression, fixed upon him, while the bouquet of myosotis was gently raised to her lips.
但是他得到了回报;他转向时,看到门口站着一个美丽的金发女子,她那双湛蓝的眼睛没有任何特别的表情,却凝视着他,而风信子花束则轻轻地抵住她的嘴唇。

The salutation was so well understood that Morrel, with the same expression in his eyes, placed his handkerchief to his mouth; —
这个问候被理解得很好,莫雷尔同样眼神里带着同样的表情,把手帕放在嘴边; —

and these two living statues, whose hearts beat so violently under their marble aspect, separated from each other by the whole length of the room, forgot themselves for a moment, or rather forgot the world in their mutual contemplation. —
这两个活生生的雕像,他们在冷酷的外表下,心脏却狂烈地跳动着,在整个房间的距离隔开了彼此,一刹那忘记了自己,或者更准确地说,忘记了世界,只沉浸在彼此的凝视中。 —

They might have remained much longer lost in one another, without anyone noticing their abstraction. —
他们本可以继续在对方中迷失很久,而不会有人注意到他们的出神。 —

The Count of Monte Cristo had just entered.
《基督山伯爵》刚刚进来了。

We have already said that there was something in the count which attracted universal attention wherever he appeared. —
“我们已经说过,凡是他出现的地方,总会引起普遍的注意。” —

It was not the coat, unexceptional in its cut, though simple and unornamented; —
“并不是他的外套,在款式上并不特别,虽然简单无华;” —

it was not the plain white waistcoat; it was not the trousers, that displayed the foot so perfectly formed—it was none of these things that attracted the attention, —it was his pale complexion, his waving black hair, his calm and serene expression, his dark and melancholy eye, his mouth, chiselled with such marvellous delicacy, which so easily expressed such high disdain, —these were what fixed the attention of all upon him.
“也不是他那件普通的白色背心;也不是那条能完美展现脚部形状的裤子——并不是这些引起了注意——而是他苍白的面色,他那卷曲的黑发,他平静而宁和的表情,他那深沉而忧郁的眼神,他嘴巴雕刻得如此精致,以至于能轻易地表达出如此高傲的蔑视——这些才是所有人所关注的。”

Many men might have been handsomer, but certainly there could be none whose appearance was more significant, if the expression may be used. —
“或许有很多男人长相更帅,但肯定没有一个人的外表更加‘有意义’,如果可以用这样的表述的话。” —

Everything about the count seemed to have its meaning, for the constant habit of thought which he had acquired had given an ease and vigor to the expression of his face, and even to the most trifling gesture, scarcely to be understood. —
似乎计算机的一切都有它的意义,因为他已经养成了思考的习惯,使他的脸部表情甚至最细微的动作都变得轻松有力,几乎无法理解。 —

Yet the Parisian world is so strange, that even all this might not have won attention had there not been connected with it a mysterious story gilded by an immense fortune.
然而,巴黎的世界是如此奇怪,即使所有这一切可能不会引起注意,如果不与一个神秘的故事和一笔巨额财富联系起来的话。

Meanwhile he advanced through the assemblage of guests under a battery of curious glances towards Madame de Morcerf, who, standing before a mantle-piece ornamented with flowers, had seen his entrance in a looking-glass placed opposite the door, and was prepared to receive him. —
与此同时,他穿过客人们的聚集,遭受着好奇的目光的攻击,走向站在点缀有花朵的壁炉前的莫塞夫夫人。她在对面门口摆放的镜子里看到了他的进入,并准备好接待他。 —

She turned towards him with a serene smile just at the moment he was bowing to her. —
她正打算转身对他微笑的时候,他向她鞠躬了。 —

No doubt she fancied the count would speak to her, while on his side the count thought she was about to address him; —
毫无疑问,她以为伯爵会和她说话,而伯爵则认为她将要和他搭话。 —

but both remained silent, and after a mere bow, Monte Cristo directed his steps to Albert, who received him cordially.
但两人都保持沉默,仅仅点了点头,蒙特克里斯托朝着阿尔贝接近,后者热情地接待了他。

“Have you seen my mother?” asked Albert.
“你见过我妈妈了吗?”阿尔贝问道。

“I have just had the pleasure,” replied the count; “but I have not seen your father.”
“我刚刚有幸见到了她,”贵人回答道,”但我没有见到你父亲。”

“See, he is down there, talking politics with that little group of great geniuses.”
“看,他就在下面,和那群伟大的天才们一起谈论政治呢。”

“Indeed?” said Monte Cristo; “and so those gentlemen down there are men of great talent. —
“是吗?”蒙特克里斯托说道,”那下面那些绅士们都是很有才华的人。 —

I should not have guessed it. And for what kind of talent are they celebrated? —
我不会猜到的。他们因什么才能闻名? —

You know there are different sorts.”
你知道有各种各样的才能。”

“That tall, harsh-looking man is very learned, he discovered, in the neighborhood of Rome, a kind of lizard with a vertebra more than lizards usually have, and he immediately laid his discovery before the Institute. —
“那个高个,一副严厉的样子的男人非常有学问,在罗马附近发现了一种蜥蜴,它有比蜥蜴通常多的一节椎骨,他立刻把他的发现提交给了学院。 —

The thing was discussed for a long time, but finally decided in his favor. —
这件事已经被讨论了很长时间,但最终结果是支持他的。 —

I can assure you the vertebra made a great noise in the learned world, and the gentleman, who was only a knight of the Legion of Honor, was made an officer.”
我可以向你保证这个椎骨在学界引起了很大的轰动,那位先生,虽然只是一个荣誉军团的骑士,却被提拔为了一名军官。”

“Come,” said Monte Cristo, “this cross seems to me to be wisely awarded. —
“来吧,”蒙特克里斯托说,“我认为这枚十字勋章是明智地授予的。 —

I suppose, had he found another additional vertebra, they would have made him a commander.”
“我想,如果他找到了另外一根额外的椎骨,他们就会让他成为一名指挥官。”

“Very likely,” said Albert.
“很可能,”阿尔伯特说。

“And who can that person be who has taken it into his head to wrap himself up in a blue coat embroidered with green?”
“那个人是谁,竟然想要穿一件蓝色外套上面绣着绿色的衣服呢?”

“Oh, that coat is not his own idea; it is the Republic’s, which deputed David12 to devise a uniform for the Academicians.”
“哦,那件外套不是他自己的主意;这是共和国派遣大卫为学院院士设计的制服。”

“Indeed?” said Monte Cristo; “so this gentleman is an Academician?”
“真的吗?”蒙特克里斯托说,“所以这位先生是一位学士?”

“Within the last week he has been made one of the learned assembly.”
“最近一周内,他被授予了学术界的头衔。”

“And what is his especial talent?”
“他特别擅长什么?”

“His talent? I believe he thrusts pins through the heads of rabbits, he makes fowls eat madder, and punches the spinal marrow out of dogs with whalebone.”
“他的才能?我相信他会把针插进兔子的头上,让鸡吃茜草,用鲸须把狗的脊髓打出来。”

“And he is made a member of the Academy of Sciences for this?”
“他因此而成为科学院的成员吗?”

“No; of the French Academy.”
“不,是法兰西学院的成员。”

“But what has the French Academy to do with all this?”
“那么法兰西学院与这一切有什么关系?”

“I was going to tell you. It seems——”
“我正要告诉你。似乎……”

“That his experiments have very considerably advanced the cause of science, doubtless?”
“他的实验无疑在很大程度上推动了科学的发展?”

“No; that his style of writing is very good.”
“不,是他的写作风格非常好。”

“This must be very flattering to the feelings of the rabbits into whose heads he has thrust pins, to the fowls whose bones he has dyed red, and to the dogs whose spinal marrow he has punched out?”
“对那些被他插针的兔子、被他染红骨头的禽类以及被他捅出脊髓的狗来说,这一定是非常让人愉悦的事情?”

Albert laughed.
阿尔贝笑了起来。

“And the other one?” demanded the count.
“那另一个人呢?”伯爵问道。

“That one?”
“那个人?”

“Yes, the third.”
“是的,第三个。”

“The one in the dark blue coat?”
“那个穿深蓝色外套的?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“He is a colleague of the count, and one of the most active opponents to the idea of providing the Chamber of Peers with a uniform. —
“他是伯爵的同事,也是提供上议院统一服装这个想法最积极的反对者之一。” —

He was very successful upon that question. —
“他在那个问题上非常成功。” —

He stood badly with the Liberal papers, but his noble opposition to the wishes of the court is now getting him into favor with the journalists. —
他在自由派报纸面前态度很不好,但是他对抗朝廷愿望的高尚立场正在赢得记者们的喜爱。 —

They talk of making him an ambassador.”
他们谈论着让他成为一位大使。

“And what are his claims to the peerage?”
“那他被授予贵族头衔的理由是什么呢?”

“He has composed two or three comic operas, written four or five articles in the Siècle, and voted five or six years on the ministerial side.”
“他创作了两三部喜剧歌剧,在《世纪报》上写了四五篇文章,投票支持内阁已经有五六年了。”

“Bravo, viscount,” said Monte Cristo, smiling; —
“太棒了,子爵先生,”蒙德克里斯托笑着说道,“你是一个令人愉快的导游。现在,你能帮我一个忙吗?” —

“you are a delightful cicerone. And now you will do me a favor, will you not?”
“怎么了?”

“What is it?”
“不要把我介绍给这些绅士们;如果他们有这个意向,你要预先告诉我。”

“Do not introduce me to any of these gentlemen; and should they wish it, you will warn me. —
正在这时,蒙德克里斯托感到有人拍了拍他的胳膊。 —

” Just then the count felt his arm pressed. —
他转过身,发现是唐格拉。 —

He turned round; it was Danglars.
“啊!是你,男爵?”他说。

“Ah! is it you, baron?” said he.
“为什么叫我男爵?”唐格拉问,“你知道我对这个头衔并不在乎。”

“Why do you call me baron?” said Danglars; —
“我和你不一样,子爵;你喜欢你的头衔,不是吗?” —

“you know that I care nothing for my title. —
“你知道我对这个头衔并不在乎。” —

I am not like you, viscount; you like your title, do you not?”
“我不像你,子爵,你喜欢你的头衔,不是吗?”

“Certainly,” replied Albert, “seeing that without my title I should be nothing; —
“当然,”阿尔伯特回答道,“如果没有我的头衔,我将一无是处; —

while you, sacrificing the baron, would still remain the millionaire.”
“而你,牺牲了男爵的头衔,仍然是百万富翁。”

“Which seems to me the finest title under the royalty of July,” replied Danglars.
“对我来说,这似乎是七月王朝下最好的头衔,”唐格拉回答道。

“Unfortunately,” said Monte Cristo, “one’s title to a millionaire does not last for life, like that of baron, peer of France, or academician; —
“不幸的是,”蒙特克里斯托说,“一个人对百万富翁的头衔并非像男爵、法国贵族或院士那样终生有效; —

for example, the millionaires Franck & Poulmann, of Frankfurt, who have just become bankrupts.”
“例如,法兰克福的弗兰克和普尔曼百万富翁刚刚破产。”

“Indeed?” said Danglars, becoming pale.
“确实吗?”唐格拉变得苍白。

“Yes; I received the news this evening by a courier. —
“是的,今晚我通过一个信使获悉了这个消息。 —

I had about a million in their hands, but, warned in time, I withdrew it a month ago.”
“他们手上有大约一百万,但我在时机成熟时提前取出了它。”

“Ah, mon Dieu!” exclaimed Danglars, “they have drawn on me for 200,000 francs!”
“啊,天哪!”唐格拉惊呼道,“他们为我开了20万法郎的支票!”

“Well, you can throw out the draft; their signature is worth five per cent.”
“好吧,你可以作废这张支票;他们的签名值百分之五。”

“Yes, but it is too late,” said Danglars, “I have honored their bills.”
“是的,但是太晚了。”唐格拉说,“我已经兑付了他们的票据。”

“Then,” said Monte Cristo, “here are 200,000 francs gone after——”
“那么,”蒙特克里斯托说,“这就是20万法郎消失了,接着——”

“Hush, do not mention these things,” said Danglars; —
“嘘,别提这些事情,”当格拉尔说道; —

then, approaching Monte Cristo, he added, “especially before young M. Cavalcanti; —
然后,他走近蒙特克里斯托,补充道,“特别是在年轻的卡瓦尔坦蒂小先生面前; —

” after which he smiled, and turned towards the young man in question.
”说完他笑了笑,转向了谈话中的年轻人。

Albert had left the count to speak to his mother, Danglars to converse with young Cavalcanti; —
艾伯特离开了伯爵去和他妈妈说话,当格拉尔也和年轻的卡瓦尔坦蒂交谈; —

Monte Cristo was for an instant alone. Meanwhile the heat became excessive. —
蒙特克里斯托独自一人了一会儿。与此同时,天气变得异常炎热。 —

The footmen were hastening through the rooms with waiters loaded with ices. —
仆人们急匆匆地穿过房间,手里拿着盛满冰淇淋的托盘。 —

Monte Cristo wiped the perspiration from his forehead, but drew back when the waiter was presented to him; —
蒙特克里斯托擦了擦额头上的汗水,但在托盘被递给他时退了回来; —

he took no refreshment. Madame de Morcerf did not lose sight of Monte Cristo; —
他没有吃任何东西。摩索夫人没有离开蒙特克里斯托的视线; —

she saw that he took nothing, and even noticed his gesture of refusal.
她看到他什么都没吃,甚至注意到他拒绝的手势。

“Albert,” she asked, “did you notice that?”
“艾伯特,”她问道,“你注意到了吗?”

“What, mother?”
“什么,妈妈?”

“That the count has never been willing to partake of food under the roof of M. de Morcerf.”
“你注意到在莫尔塞夫家的屋顶下,伯爵从来不愿意食用任何食物。”

“Yes; but then he breakfasted with me—indeed, he made his first appearance in the world on that occasion.”
“是的,但他在我这里吃了早餐-实际上,他第一次在世界上出现就是在那个场合。”

“But your house is not M. de Morcerf’s,” murmured Mercédès; —
“但你的房子不是莫尔塞夫先生的,”梅赛德斯轻声说道; —

“and since he has been here I have watched him.”
“自从他来到这里后,我一直在观察他。”

“Well?”
“嗯?”

“Well, he has taken nothing yet.”
“嗯,他还没吃过什么东西。”

“The count is very temperate.”
“伯爵非常节制。”

Mercédès smiled sadly.
梅赛德斯悲伤地微笑着。

“Approach him,” said she, “and when the next waiter passes, insist upon his taking something.”
“走近他,”她说,“等下一个服务员经过时,坚持让他拿点东西。”

“But why, mother?”
“但为什么,母亲?”

“Just to please me, Albert,” said Mercédès. —
“只是为了让我高兴,阿尔贝尔,”梅赛德斯说。 —

Albert kissed his mother’s hand, and drew near the count. —
阿尔贝尔亲吻了母亲的手,走近了伯爵。 —

Another salver passed, loaded like the preceding ones; —
又过去了一个盛有食物的托盘,和之前的一样多; —

she saw Albert attempt to persuade the count, but he obstinately refused. —
她看到阿尔贝尔试图说服伯爵,但他顽固地拒绝了。 —

Albert rejoined his mother; she was very pale.
阿尔贝尔回到了母亲身边,她的脸色很苍白。

“Well,” said she, “you see he refuses?”
“嗯,”她说,“你看他拒绝了?”

“Yes; but why need this annoy you?”
“是的;但这为什么会让你烦恼呢?”

“You know, Albert, women are singular creatures. —
“你知道,阿尔伯特,女人是奇特的生物。” —

I should like to have seen the count take something in my house, if only an ice. —
“如果只是吃个冰淇淋,我真想看看伯爵会拿走我家的什么。” —

Perhaps he cannot reconcile himself to the French style of living, and might prefer something else.”
“也许他无法适应法国的生活方式,可能更喜欢别的什么东西。”

“Oh, no; I have seen him eat of everything in Italy; —
“哦,不;我在意大利见过他吃任何东西;毫无疑问,他今晚可能不想吃。” —

no doubt he does not feel inclined this evening.”
“可能是因为……”

“And besides,” said the countess, “accustomed as he is to burning climates, possibly he does not feel the heat as we do.”
“而且,”伯爵夫人说道,“他习惯了火热的气候,可能他不像我们一样感到炎热。”

“I do not think that, for he has complained of feeling almost suffocated, and asked why the Venetian blinds were not opened as well as the windows.”
“我不这么认为,因为他抱怨过感到快要窒息了,并问为什么不打开百叶窗和窗户。”

“In a word,” said Mercédès, “it was a way of assuring me that his abstinence was intended.”
“总之,”梅赛德斯说道,“这是他向我保证自己有意戒欲的方式。”

And she left the room.
然后她离开了房间。

A minute afterwards the blinds were thrown open, and through the jessamine and clematis that overhung the window one could see the garden ornamented with lanterns, and the supper laid under the tent. —
一分钟后,百叶窗被拉开,透过爬满窗子的茉莉花和铁线莲,人们可以看到花园上挂满了灯笼,帐篷下摆着晚餐。 —

Dancers, players, talkers, all uttered an exclamation of joy—everyone inhaled with delight the breeze that floated in. —
舞者、运动员、说话者都发出了喜悦的呼喊声,每个人都喜欢地吸入飘进来的微风。 —

At the same time Mercédès reappeared, paler than before, but with that imperturbable expression of countenance which she sometimes wore. —
同时,梅赛德斯出现了,比之前更苍白,但她脸上仍保持着那种无动于衷的表情。 —

She went straight to the group of which her husband formed the centre.
她径直走向她丈夫所在的一群人。

“Do not detain those gentlemen here, count,” she said; —
“不要把这些绅士们留在这里,伯爵,”她说。 —

“they would prefer, I should think, to breathe in the garden rather than suffocate here, since they are not playing.”
“我想他们宁愿在花园里呼吸,也不愿在这里闷死,毕竟他们没在玩游戏。”

“Ah,” said a gallant old general, who, in 1809, had sung Partant pour la Syrie,—“we will not go alone to the garden.”
“啊,”一位风度翩翩的老将军说道,他在1809年曾唱过《去叙利亚》,“我们不会一个人去花园的。”

“Then,” said Mercédès, “I will lead the way.”
“那么,”梅赛德斯说,“我来领路。”

Turning towards Monte Cristo, she added, “count, will you oblige me with your arm?”
转向蒙泰·克里斯托,她补充说:“伯爵,请你搀扶我吗?”

The count almost staggered at these simple words; then he fixed his eyes on Mercédès. —
伯爵听到这简单的话几乎摇摇欲坠,然后他目不转睛地看着梅赛德斯。 —

It was only a momentary glance, but it seemed to the countess to have lasted for a century, so much was expressed in that one look. —
这只是一瞥,但对伯爵夫人来说,它似乎持续了一个世纪,因为那个眼神中表达了太多的东西。 —

He offered his arm to the countess; she took it, or rather just touched it with her little hand, and they together descended the steps, lined with rhododendrons and camellias. —
他向伯爵夫人伸出了手臂;她接过,或者更准确地说是用她的小手轻轻触碰了一下,然后他们一起走下了通道,两侧是杜鹃花和山茶花。 —

Behind them, by another outlet, a group of about twenty persons rushed into the garden with loud exclamations of delight.
他们身后,另一个出口处,一群大约二十人欢呼着冲进花园。