The same day during the interview between Madame Danglars and the procureur, a travelling-carriage entered the Rue du Helder, passed through the gateway of No. 27, and stopped in the yard. —
同一天,当当拉尔夫夫人和检察官进行面试时,一辆马车进入了埃尔德街,穿过27号门和停在院子里。 —

In a moment the door was opened, and Madame de Morcerf alighted, leaning on her son’s arm. —
一瞬间,门打开了,莫尔塞夫夫人倚靠着儿子的胳膊下车了。 —

Albert soon left her, ordered his horses, and having arranged his toilet, drove to the Champs-Élysées, to the house of Monte Cristo.
阿尔伯特很快离开她,叫了他的马,整理好仪容,开车去了香榭丽舍大街,到了蒙特克里斯托的家。

The count received him with his habitual smile. —
伯爵用他惯常的微笑接待了他。 —

It was a strange thing that no one ever appeared to advance a step in that man’s favor. —
怪事是,似乎没有人能够在这个人那里取得一点进展。 —

Those who would, as it were, force a passage to his heart, found an impassable barrier. —
无论是那些试图迫使进入他内心的人,都遇到了一道不可逾越的障碍。 —

Morcerf, who ran towards him with open arms, was chilled as he drew near, in spite of the friendly smile, and simply held out his hand. —
透过那友好的笑容,向他奔跑而来的莫尔塞夫,当他走近时感到了寒意,只是伸出手。 —

Monte Cristo shook it coldly, according to his invariable practice.
蒙特克里斯托冷淡地握了一握,按照他始终如一的方式。

“Here I am, dear count.”
“我来了,亲爱的伯爵。”

“Welcome home again.”
“欢迎回家。”

“I arrived an hour since.”
“我在一个小时前到的。”

“From Dieppe?”
“从迪耶普来的吗?”

“No, from Tréport.”
“不是,是从特雷波尔。”

“Indeed?”
“真的吗?”

“And I have come at once to see you.”
“我立刻就来见你了。”

“That is extremely kind of you,” said Monte Cristo with a tone of perfect indifference.
“你真是太好了,”蒙特克里斯托漠不关心地说道。

“And what is the news?”
“有什么新闻吗?”

“You should not ask a stranger, a foreigner, for news.”
“你不该问一个陌生人、一个外国人要新闻。”

“I know it, but in asking for news, I mean, have you done anything for me?”
“我知道,但是我问新闻时,我的意思是,你为我做了什么吗?”

“Had you commissioned me?” said Monte Cristo, feigning uneasiness.
“如果你委托给我了呢?”蒙特克里斯托假装不安地说道。

“Come, come,” said Albert, “do not assume so much indifference. —
“来吧,来吧,”阿尔贝说道,“不要装得那么漠不关心。 —

It is said, sympathy travels rapidly, and when at Tréport, I felt the electric shock; —
据说,同情心传播得很快,在特里波特时,我感觉到了电流的震荡; —

you have either been working for me or thinking of me.”
你一定是在为我工作或者思考着我。”

“Possibly,” said Monte Cristo, “I have indeed thought of you, but the magnetic wire I was guiding acted, indeed, without my knowledge.”
“可能吧,”蒙特克里斯托说道,“我确实想过你,但是我所引导的磁力线确实是在没有我的知觉下起作用。”

“Indeed! Pray tell me how it happened.”
“真的吗?请告诉我是怎么发生的。”

“Willingly. M. Danglars dined with me.”
“非常愿意。当时达尔格尔先生和我共进晚餐。”

“I know it; to avoid meeting him, my mother and I left town.”
“我知道,为了避免遇见他,我和我母亲离开了城市。”

“But he met here M. Andrea Cavalcanti.”
“但是他在这里遇见了安德里亚·卡瓦尔坎蒂先生。”

“Your Italian prince?”
“你的意大利王子?”

“Not so fast; M. Andrea only calls himself count.”
“慢着,安德烈只自称为伯爵。”

“Calls himself, do you say?”
“自称?你是这么说的吗?”

“Yes, calls himself.”
“是的,自称。”

“Is he not a count?”
“那他不是伯爵吗?”

“What can I know of him? He calls himself so. —
“我怎么会知道呢?他自称是伯爵。” —

I, of course, give him the same title, and everyone else does likewise.”
“当然,我也给他同样的尊称,其他人也是如此。”

“What a strange man you are! What next? You say M. Danglars dined here?”
“你真是个奇怪的人!接下来呢?你说那么Danglars在这里吃饭?”

“Yes, with Count Cavalcanti, the marquis his father, Madame Danglars, M. and Madame de Villefort, —charming people,—M. Debray, Maximilian Morrel, and M. de Château-Renaud.”
“是的,和Cavalcanti伯爵,他父亲马基斯,Danglars夫人,Villefort先生和夫人,还有迷人的Debray先生,Maximilian Morrel和Château-Renaud先生。”

“Did they speak of me?”
“他们有提到我吗?”

“Not a word.”
“没有一句话。”

“So much the worse.”
“那太糟糕了。”

“Why so? I thought you wished them to forget you?”
“为什么?我以为你希望他们忘记你呢?”

“If they did not speak of me, I am sure they thought about me, and I am in despair.”
“如果他们没有提到我,我相信他们肯定在想我,我感到绝望。”

“How will that affect you, since Mademoiselle Danglars was not among the number here who thought of you? —
“这对你有什么影响呢,因为Danglars小姐不在这些想念你的人中间?” —

Truly, she might have thought of you at home.”
确实,她可能正在家里想着你。

“I have no fear of that; or, if she did, it was only in the same way in which I think of her.”
“我对此并不担心;即使她这样想过,那也只是我对她的想法一样的方式。”

“Touching sympathy! So you hate each other?” said the count.
“令人同情!那么你们彼此都憎恨对方?”伯爵问道。

“Listen,” said Morcerf—“if Mademoiselle Danglars were disposed to take pity on my supposed martyrdom on her account, and would dispense with all matrimonial formalities between our two families, I am ready to agree to the arrangement. —
“听着,”莫尔塞夫说,“如果当时唐格拉小姐为了我而感到痛苦,并且愿意不计两个家族之间的婚姻形式,我愿意同意这个安排。 —

In a word, Mademoiselle Danglars would make a charming mistress—but a wife—diable!
总而言之,唐格拉小姐会成为一个迷人的情妇,但是一个妻子——天哪!”

“And this,” said Monte Cristo, “is your opinion of your intended spouse?”
“这就是你对未婚妻的看法?”蒙特克里斯托问道。

“Yes; it is rather unkind, I acknowledge, but it is true. —
“是的,我承认这有些不友好,但是这是事实。” —

But as this dream cannot be realized, since Mademoiselle Danglars must become my lawful wife, live perpetually with me, sing to me, compose verses and music within ten paces of me, and that for my whole life, it frightens me. —
但是既然这个梦想无法实现,因为唐格拉小姐必须成为我合法的妻子,与我永远生活在一起,为我唱歌,创作诗歌和音乐,距离我十步之内,而且要这样过上我的一生,这让我感到害怕。 —

One may forsake a mistress, but a wife,—good heavens! —
一个人可以离开情妇,但是妻子——天哪! —

There she must always be; and to marry Mademoiselle Danglars would be awful.”
她必须始终在那里;与达扬格小姐结婚将是可怕的。

“You are difficult to please, viscount.”
“你很难取悦,子爵。”

“Yes, for I often wish for what is impossible.”
“是的,因为我经常希望不可能的事情。”

“What is that?”
“那是什么?”

“To find such a wife as my father found.”
“找到像我父亲找到的那样的妻子。”

Monte Cristo turned pale, and looked at Albert, while playing with some magnificent pistols.
蒙泰克里斯托苍白了一下,一边玩弄着一支华丽的手枪看着阿尔伯特。

“Your father was fortunate, then?” said he.
“你父亲当时非常幸运。”他说。

“You know my opinion of my mother, count; —
“你知道我对我母亲的看法,伯爵;看着她,依然美丽,聪慧,比以往更迷人。 —

look at her,—still beautiful, witty, more charming than ever. —
对于其他任何儿子来说,在特罗波尔逗留四天,那将是一种妥协或殉难,而对我来说,我更愉快,更和平,更有诗意! —

For any other son to have stayed with his mother for four days at Tréport, it would have been a condescension or a martyrdom, while I return, more contented, more peaceful—shall I say more poetic! —
比起把玛布女王或提坦尼娅作为我的伴侣,这更令人满意!” —

—than if I had taken Queen Mab or Titania as my companion.”
“这是一个压倒性的证明,你让每个人发誓过单身一生。”

“That is an overwhelming demonstration, and you would make everyone vow to live a single life.”
“这就是我不喜欢娶达扬格小姐的原因。”

“Such are my reasons for not liking to marry Mademoiselle Danglars. —
“这就是为什么我不喜欢娶达扬格小姐的原因。” —

Have you ever noticed how much a thing is heightened in value when we obtain possession of it? —
你有没有注意到一样东西在我们得到它的时候,其价值会变得更高? —

The diamond which glittered in the window at Marlé’s or Fossin’s shines with more splendor when it is our own; —
在玛尔勒或福森窗口内闪耀的钻石,在它成为我们自己的时候会更加辉煌闪耀。 —

but if we are compelled to acknowledge the superiority of another, and still must retain the one that is inferior, do you not know what we have to endure?”
但是,如果我们被迫承认其他人的优越,并且仍然必须保留那个次等的,你不知道我们要忍受什么吗?

“Worldling,” murmured the count.
“纨绔子弟”,伯爵喃喃自语。

“Thus I shall rejoice when Mademoiselle Eugénie perceives I am but a pitiful atom, with scarcely as many hundred thousand francs as she has millions. —
“当尤金妮小姐意识到我只是一个可怜的微不足道的人,几乎没有她拥有的几百万法郎时,我将会感到高兴。” —

” Monte Cristo smiled. “One plan occurred to me,” continued Albert; —
蒙特克里斯托微笑道:“我有一个计划,” 继续阿尔贝说。 —

“Franz likes all that is eccentric; I tried to make him fall in love with Mademoiselle Danglars; —
“弗朗茨喜欢一切古怪的事物;我试图让他爱上唐格拉小姐; —

but in spite of four letters, written in the most alluring style, he invariably answered: —
但是尽管我写了四封风格十分吸引人的信,他总是回答道: —

‘My eccentricity may be great, but it will not make me break my promise.’”
“我的古怪也许很大,但它不会让我违背诺言。”

“That is what I call devoted friendship, to recommend to another one whom you would not marry yourself.” Albert smiled.
“这就是我所称之为真挚友谊,为那些你自己不愿意娶的人推荐。” 阿尔伯特笑了。

“Apropos,” continued he, “Franz is coming soon, but it will not interest you; —
“顺便说一句,”他继续说道,“弗朗茨很快就要来了,但这对你来说无关紧要; —

you dislike him, I think?”
你不喜欢他,对吗?”

“I?” said Monte Cristo; “my dear viscount, how have you discovered that I did not like M. Franz! —
“我?”蒙特克里斯托问道,“亲爱的子爵,你是怎么发现我不喜欢弗朗茨先生的! —

I like everyone.”
我喜欢每个人。”

“And you include me in the expression everyone—many thanks!”
“你把我也包括在每个人里面了,非常感谢!”

“Let us not mistake,” said Monte Cristo; —
“让我们不要误解,”蒙特克里斯托说道; —

“I love everyone as God commands us to love our neighbor, as Christians; —
“我像上帝命令我们爱我们的邻居那样,作为基督徒,我爱每个人; —

but I thoroughly hate but a few. Let us return to M. Franz d’Épinay. —
但我只彻底讨厌极少数人。让我们回到弗朗茨·德皮奈先生身上。 —

Did you say he was coming?”
你说他要来吗?”

“Yes; summoned by M. de Villefort, who is apparently as anxious to get Mademoiselle Valentine married as M. Danglars is to see Mademoiselle Eugénie settled. —
“是的,因为德维尔福先生召唤他,显然他和邓格拉先生一样渴望看到瓦伦坦小姐结婚。 —

It must be a very irksome office to be the father of a grown-up daughter; —
作为一个有成年女儿的父亲,这一定是一份非常麻烦的工作; —

it seems to make one feverish, and to raise one’s pulse to ninety beats a minute until the deed is done.”
“听起来会使人发热,脉搏加快到每分钟九十次,直到事情做完。”

“But M. d’Épinay, unlike you, bears his misfortune patiently.”
“但是,德培那伊先生和你不同,能够耐心承受自己的不幸。”

“Still more, he talks seriously about the matter, puts on a white tie, and speaks of his family. —
“更重要的是,他认真地谈论这件事,系上白领带,谈论家庭事务。” —

He entertains a very high opinion of M. and Madame de Villefort.”
“他对维尔福先生和夫人评价很高。”

“Which they deserve, do they not?”
“他们配得上,不是吗?”

“I believe they do. M. de Villefort has always passed for a severe but a just man.”
“我相信他们配得上。维尔福先生一直被认为是一个严厉但公正的人。”

“There is, then, one,” said Monte Cristo, “whom you do not condemn like poor Danglars?”
“那么,有一个人你并不像可怜的当格拉那样谴责?”

“Because I am not compelled to marry his daughter perhaps,” replied Albert, laughing.
“也许是因为我不用娶他的女儿。”阿尔贝回答道,笑着说。

“Indeed, my dear sir,” said Monte Cristo, “you are revoltingly foppish.”
“实际上,亲爱的先生,你真是太浮华了。”蒙特克里斯托说道。

“I foppish? how do you mean?”
“我浮华?你是什么意思?”

“Yes; pray take a cigar, and cease to defend yourself, and to struggle to escape marrying Mademoiselle Danglars. —
“是的,请抽根雪茄,不要再为自己辩解,也不要再为逃避娶当格拉小姐而挣扎。” —

Let things take their course; perhaps you may not have to retract.”
“让事情随其自然吧;也许你不需要收回承诺。”

“Bah!” said Albert, staring.
“哼!”阿尔贝瞪大眼睛。

“Doubtless, my dear viscount, you will not be taken by force; —
“毫无疑问,亲爱的子爵,你不会被强迫的; —

and seriously, do you wish to break off your engagement?”
而且,你真的想要取消订婚吗?”

“I would give a hundred thousand francs to be able to do so.”
“我愿意付出十万法郎来做到这一点。”

“Then make yourself quite easy. M. Danglars would give double that sum to attain the same end.”
“那么放心吧。达格拉斯先生愿意支付双倍的金额来实现同样的目的。”

“Am I, indeed, so happy?” said Albert, who still could not prevent an almost imperceptible cloud passing across his brow. —
“我真的那么幸福吗?”阿尔贝还是没能阻止一丝几乎看不见的阴霾从他脸上划过。 —

“But, my dear count, has M. Danglars any reason?”
“但是,亲爱的伯爵,达格拉斯先生有什么理由呢?”

“Ah! there is your proud and selfish nature. —
“啊!这就是你傲慢和自私的本性。 —

You would expose the self-love of another with a hatchet, but you shrink if your own is attacked with a needle.”
你会用斧头暴露他人的自爱,但如果你自己受到一针的攻击,你会退缩。”

“But yet, M. Danglars appeared——”
“但是,达格拉斯先生似乎——”

“Delighted with you, was he not? Well, he is a man of bad taste, and is still more enchanted with another. —
“对你很满意,不是吗?嗯,他品味不好,对另一个人更着迷。 —

I know not whom; look and judge for yourself.”
我不知道是谁;你自己看看,判断一下。”

“Thank you, I understand. But my mother—no, not my mother; —
“谢谢,我明白了。但是我的母亲——不,不是我的母亲; —

I mistake—my father intends giving a ball.”
我搞错了——是我父亲打算举办一个舞会。”

“A ball at this season?”
“现在举办舞会?”

“Summer balls are fashionable.”
“夏季舞会时尚。”

“If they were not, the countess has only to wish it, and they would become so.”
“如果不是这样,伯爵夫人只要希望,它们就会变得时尚。”

“You are right; You know they are select affairs; —
“你说得对,你知道这些舞会是有选择性的活动; —

those who remain in Paris in July must be true Parisians. —
留在七月份的巴黎必须是真正的巴黎人。 —

Will you take charge of our invitation to Messieurs Cavalcanti?”
你会负责邀请卡瓦尔坎蒂先生吗?”

“When will it take place?”
“什么时候举行?”

“On Saturday.”
“星期六。”

“M. Cavalcanti’s father will be gone.”
“卡瓦尔坎蒂先生的父亲会不在。”

“But the son will be here; will you invite young M. Cavalcanti?”
“但是儿子会在这里,你会邀请年轻的卡瓦尔坎蒂先生吗?”

“I do not know him, viscount.”
“子爵,我不认识他。”

“You do not know him?”
“你不认识他?”

“No, I never saw him until a few days since, and am not responsible for him.”
“是的,直到几天前我才见到他,我对他不负责。”

“But you receive him at your house?”
“但是你在你的家中接待他?”

“That is another thing: he was recommended to me by a good abbé, who may be deceived. —
“那又是另外一回事:他被一位好的神父推荐给我,但他可能被欺骗了。 —

Give him a direct invitation, but do not ask me to present him. —
给他一个直接的邀请,但别要求我来介绍他。” —

If he were afterwards to marry Mademoiselle Danglars, you would accuse me of intrigue, and would be challenging me,—besides, I may not be there myself.”
如果他事后与当铺小姐结婚,你会指责我进行了阴谋,并且会向我发起挑战——此外,我可能身不在那里。”

“Where?”
“在哪里?”

“At your ball.”
“在你的舞会上。”

“Why should you not be there?”
“为什么你不能在那里?”

“Because you have not yet invited me.”
“因为你还没有邀请我。”

“But I come expressly for that purpose.”
“但我特意来邀请你。”

“You are very kind, but I may be prevented.”
“你非常好,但我可能会有事情无法前来。”

“If I tell you one thing, you will be so amiable as to set aside all impediments.”
“如果我告诉你一件事,你会非常亲切地放下所有阻碍。”

“Tell me what it is.”
“告诉我是什么。”

“My mother begs you to come.”
“我母亲请求你来。”

“The Comtesse de Morcerf?” said Monte Cristo, starting.
“莫赛夫人?”蒙特克里斯托惊讶地说。

“Ah, count,” said Albert, “I assure you Madame de Morcerf speaks freely to me, and if you have not felt those sympathetic fibres of which I spoke just now thrill within you, you must be entirely devoid of them, for during the last four days we have spoken of no one else.”
“啊,伯爵,我向你保证莫赛夫人对我非常坦率,如果你在这几天里没有感受到我刚才提到的那种共鸣,那你就完全没有这种能力,因为在过去的四天里,我们只谈论了你一个人。”

“You have talked of me?”
“你们谈论过我?”

“Yes, that is the penalty of being a living puzzle!”
“是的,那是当活的谜题的代价!”

“Then I am also a puzzle to your mother? —
“那么我对你的母亲也是个谜题?” —

I should have thought her too reasonable to be led by imagination.”
我本以为她太理性,不会被想象力所牵引。

“A problem, my dear count, for everyone—for my mother as well as others; —
“亲爱的伯爵,这是一个问题,不仅是对于其他人而言,也是对于我母亲而言; —

much studied, but not solved, you still remain an enigma, do not fear. —
经过多次研究却无法解答,你仍是一个谜,不要害怕。 —

My mother is only astonished that you remain so long unsolved. —
我母亲只是惊讶于你如此久未解开。 —

I believe, while the Countess G—— takes you for Lord Ruthven, my mother imagines you to be Cagliostro or the Count Saint-Germain. —
我相信,G夫人认为你是鲁思文勋爵,而我母亲则认为你是卡列奥斯特罗或圣日耳曼伯爵。 —

The first opportunity you have, confirm her in her opinion; —
一有机会,让她确信你的观点; —

it will be easy for you, as you have the philosophy of the one and the wit of the other.”
对你来说很容易,因为你既有前者的智慧,又有后者的机智。”

“I thank you for the warning,” said the count; —
“谢谢你的提醒,”伯爵说道; —

“I shall endeavor to be prepared for all suppositions.”
“我会尽力应对各种假设。”

“You will, then, come on Saturday?”
“那么,你会在星期六来吗?”

“Yes, since Madame de Morcerf invites me.”
“是的,因为莫尔塞夫人邀请了我。”

“You are very kind.”
“你真是太好了。”

“Will M. Danglars be there?”
“那么,当然会有当格拉先生在那吗?”

“He has already been invited by my father. —
“我父亲已经邀请了他。 —

We shall try to persuade the great d’Aguesseau,11 M. de Villefort, to come, but have not much hope of seeing him.”
我们会努力说服伟大的阿格索证爵,也就是韦尔福爵士来的,但并不抱太大希望。”

“‘Never despair of anything,’ says the proverb.”
“‘永不放弃任何事物’,谚语如是说。”

“Do you dance, count?”
“阁下跳舞吗?”

“I dance?”
“我跳舞?”

“Yes, you; it would not be astonishing.”
“是的,您;这并不奇怪。”

“That is very well before one is over forty. —
“在四十岁之前还好吧。” —

No, I do not dance, but I like to see others do so. —
不,我不跳舞,但我喜欢看别人跳。 —

Does Madame de Morcerf dance?”
莫塞夫夫人跳舞吗?

“Never; you can talk to her, she so delights in your conversation.”
“从不;您可以和她聊天,她非常喜欢和您的交谈。”

“Indeed?”
“真的吗?”

“Yes, truly; and I assure you. You are the only man of whom I have heard her speak with interest. —
“是的,确实;我向您保证。您是我听她提及时感兴趣的唯一一个男人。” —

” Albert rose and took his hat; the count conducted him to the door.
阿尔伯特站起身,拿起帽子;伯爵陪他走到门口。

“I have one thing to reproach myself with,” said he, stopping Albert on the steps. “What is it?”
“还有一件事我要自责。”他说着,停下阿尔伯特的脚步。“是什么事?”

“I have spoken to you indiscreetly about Danglars.”
“我对你不慎地谈及当格拉尔。”

“On the contrary, speak to me always in the same strain about him.”
“恰恰相反,以后也请一直这样谈论他。”

“I am glad to be reassured on that point. Apropos, when do you aspect M. d’Épinay?”
“很高兴在这一点上得到保证。顺便问一下,您什么时候预计迪封先生到来?”

“Five or six days hence at the latest.”
“最迟在五六天后。”

“And when is he to be married?”
“他什么时候结婚?”

“Immediately on the arrival of M. and Madame de Saint-Méran.”
“圣梅朗夫妇一到就立刻。”

“Bring him to see me. Although you say I do not like him, I assure you I shall be happy to see him.”
“带他来见我吧。虽然你说我不喜欢他,但我向你保证我很高兴见到他。”

“I will obey your orders, my lord.”
“好的,我会遵循您的命令,大人。”

“Good-bye.”
“再见。”

“Until Saturday, when I may expect you, may I not?”
“周六见面,可以吗?”

“Yes, I promised you.” The Count watched Albert, waving his hand to him. —
“是的,我答应过您。” 贵族挥手向阿尔贝问好。 —

When he had mounted his phaeton, Monte Cristo turned, and seeing Bertuccio, “What news?” said he.
当他坐上马车时,蒙特克里斯托转过身来,看见贝图乔说道:”有什么新闻?”

“She went to the Palais,” replied the steward.
“她去了宫殿,” 管家回答道。

“Did she stay long there?”
“她在那里待了很久吗?”

“An hour and a half.”
“一个半小时。”

“Did she return home?”
“她回家了吗?”

“Directly.”
“直接回家了。”

“Well, my dear Bertuccio,” said the count, “I now advise you to go in quest of the little estate I spoke to you of in Normandy.”
“好吧,亲爱的贝图乔,我现在建议你去找我跟你提过的那片诺曼底的小地产。”

Bertuccio bowed, and as his wishes were in perfect harmony with the order he had received, he started the same evening.
Bertuccio鞠躬,并且由于他的愿望与他收到的命令完美地协调一致,所以他当天晚上就出发了。