Both the count and Baptistin had told the truth when they announced to Morcerf the proposed visit of the major, which had served Monte Cristo as a pretext for declining Albert’s invitation. —
计数员和巴蒂斯坦都告诉蒙德克里斯托真实情况,即主管计划拜访莫尔斯鲁夫,这成为蒙德克里斯托谢绝阿尔伯特邀请的借口。 —

Seven o’clock had just struck, and M. Bertuccio, according to the command which had been given him, had two hours before left for Auteuil, when a cab stopped at the door, and after depositing its occupant at the gate, immediately hurried away, as if ashamed of its employment. —
七点钟刚敲响,根据所接到的命令,贝尔图乔已在两个小时前前往奥特伊。就在这时,一辆马车停在门口,在把乘客放下后,立即匆匆离开,似乎对自己的工作感到羞愧。 —

The visitor was about fifty-two years of age, dressed in one of the green surtouts, ornamented with black frogs, which have so long maintained their popularity all over Europe. —
来访者大约五十二岁,身穿一件绿色的大衣,上面装饰着黑色纽扣,这种衣服在整个欧洲流行已久。 —

He wore trousers of blue cloth, boots tolerably clean, but not of the brightest polish, and a little too thick in the soles, buckskin gloves, a hat somewhat resembling in shape those usually worn by the gendarmes, and a black cravat striped with white, which, if the proprietor had not worn it of his own free will, might have passed for a halter, so much did it resemble one. —
他穿着蓝布的裤子,靴子比较干净但并不是最亮的抛光,鞋底有点厚,他戴着鹿皮手套,戴着一顶形状有点像gendarmes通常戴的帽子,还戴着一条黑白相间的领带,如果不是主人自愿戴上的话,可能会让人以为是绳索,因为它看起来非常像。 —

Such was the picturesque costume of the person who rang at the gate, and demanded if it was not at No. 30 in the Avenue des Champs-Élysées that the Count of Monte Cristo lived, and who, being answered by the porter in the affirmative, entered, closed the gate after him, and began to ascend the steps.
这个人穿着如此古色古香的服装敲响了大门,询问这是不是尚·克里斯托夫伯爵住的地方,门卫明确回答是,在他进门后,关上了大门并开始上楼。

The small and angular head of this man, his white hair and thick gray moustaches, caused him to be easily recognized by Baptistin, who had received an exact description of the expected visitor, and who was awaiting him in the hall. —
这个人的小而尖的头,白发和浓密的灰色胡须,使得巴蒂斯坦很容易辨认出他,因为他之前得到了对这个预期来访者的准确描述,并在大厅里等候着他。 —

Therefore, scarcely had the stranger time to pronounce his name before the count was apprised of his arrival. —
因此,在陌生人刚刚开始说他的名字之前,伯爵就被告知了他的到来。 —

He was ushered into a simple and elegant drawing-room, and the count rose to meet him with a smiling air.
他被引到一个简洁而优雅的客厅,伯爵站起身微笑着迎接他。

“Ah, my dear sir, you are most welcome; I was expecting you.”
“啊,亲爱的先生,你十分受欢迎;我正在期待着你的到来。”

“Indeed,” said the Italian, “was your excellency then aware of my visit?”
“确实如此,”意大利人说,“阁下早已知道我的访问?”

“Yes; I had been told that I should see you today at seven o’clock.”
“是的,有人告诉我今天七点会见到你。”

“Then you have received full information concerning my arrival?”
“那么您已经得到了有关我的到来的详细消息?”

“Of course.”
“当然。”

“Ah, so much the better, I feared this little precaution might have been forgotten.”
“啊,那太好了,我担心这个小小的预防措施可能会被忘记。”

“What precaution?”
“什么预防措施?”

“That of informing you beforehand of my coming.”
“提前通知您我的到来。”

“Oh, no, it has not.”
“哦,不,没有忘记。”

“But you are sure you are not mistaken.”
“但您确信您没有搞错。”

“Very sure.”
“非常确定。”

“It really was I whom your excellency expected at seven o’clock this evening?”
“您真的是在今晚七点期待我的到来吗?”

“I will prove it to you beyond a doubt.”
“我会毫不犹豫地为您提供证据。”

“Oh, no, never mind that,” said the Italian; “it is not worth the trouble.”
“哦,不,算了吧。”意大利人说道,“不值得麻烦。”

“Yes, yes,” said Monte Cristo. His visitor appeared slightly uneasy. —
“是的,是的。”蒙特克里斯托回答道。他的访客似乎有些不安。 —

“Let me see,” said the count; “are you not the Marquis Bartolomeo Cavalcanti?”
“让我看看,”伯爵说道,“您难道不是巴托洛梅奥·卡瓦尔坎蒂侯爵吗?”

“Bartolomeo Cavalcanti,” joyfully replied the Italian; “yes, I am really he.”
“巴托洛梅奥·卡瓦尔坎蒂,”意大利人高兴地回答道,“是的,我就是他。”

“Ex-major in the Austrian service?”
“奥地利服役时的少校?”

“Was I a major?” timidly asked the old soldier.
“我曾经是个少校吗?”老兵小声地问道。

“Yes,” said Monte Cristo “you were a major; —
“是的,”蒙特克里斯托说道,“你曾经是个少校; —

that is the title the French give to the post which you filled in Italy.”
这是法国人用来称呼你在意大利担任的职位的头衔。”

“Very good,” said the major, “I do not demand more, you understand——”
“很好,”少校说道,“我不需要更多,你懂的——”

“Your visit here today is not of your own suggestion, is it?” said Monte Cristo.
“今天你来这里并非自己的建议,是吗?”蒙特克里斯托问道。

“No, certainly not.”
“不,当然不是。”

“You were sent by some other person?”
“你是受其他人的派遣来的?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“By the excellent Abbé Busoni?”
“是优秀的布索尼修士派你来的吗?”

“Exactly so,” said the delighted major.
“完全正确,”高兴的少校说道。

“And you have a letter?”
“你有一封信?”

“Yes, there it is.”
“是的,就在这里。”

“Give it to me, then.” And Monte Cristo took the letter, which he opened and read. —
“给我吧。”蒙特克里斯托拿起了那封信,打开并阅读了起来。 —

The major looked at the count with his large staring eyes, and then took a survey of the apartment, but his gaze almost immediately reverted to the proprietor of the room.
少校用他瞪大的眼睛看着蒙特克里斯托,然后扫视了一下房间,但几乎立刻又将目光转回了房主身上。

“Yes, yes, I see. ‘Major Cavalcanti, a worthy patrician of Lucca, a descendant of the Cavalcanti of Florence,’” continued Monte Cristo, reading aloud, “‘possessing an income of half a million.’”
“是的,是的,我明白了。’Major Cavalcanti,卢卡的一个可敬的贵族,佛罗伦萨的Cavalcanti家族的后裔。’ ”蒙特克里斯托继续大声读着,“’拥有五十万的年收入.‘”

Monte Cristo raised his eyes from the paper, and bowed.
蒙特克里斯托从纸上抬起眼睛,鞠了一躬。

“Half a million,” said he, “magnificent!”
“五十万,”他说,“太壮观了!”

“Half a million, is it?” said the major.
“五十万,是吗?”少校说。

“Yes, in so many words; and it must be so, for the abbé knows correctly the amount of all the largest fortunes in Europe.”
“是的,确切地说就是这么多。因为修道士准确知道欧洲最大财富的金额。”

“Be it half a million, then; but on my word of honor, I had no idea that it was so much.”
“好吧,那就是五十万;但我发誓我真不知道这么多。”

“Because you are robbed by your steward. You must make some reformation in that quarter.”
“因为你的管家在偷你的钱。你必须在这方面做一些改革。”

“You have opened my eyes,” said the Italian gravely; “I will show the gentlemen the door.”
“‘你让我看到了希望,’意大利人庄严地说道;‘我会把这位绅士请出去。’”

Monte Cristo resumed the perusal of the letter:
蒙泰克里斯托恢复了阅读信件:

“‘And who only needs one thing more to make him happy.’”
“‘只有一件事情可以使他幸福。’”

“Yes, indeed but one!” said the major with a sigh.
“是啊,只有一件!”少校叹了口气说。

“‘Which is to recover a lost and adored son.’”
“‘那就是找回一个失散的、被崇拜的儿子。’”

“A lost and adored son!”
“一个失散的、被崇拜的儿子!”

“‘Stolen away in his infancy, either by an enemy of his noble family or by the gypsies.’”
“‘在他还是婴儿时被他高贵家族的敌人或者吉普赛人抢去了。’”

“At the age of five years!” said the major with a deep sigh, and raising his eye to heaven.
“五岁时!”少校深深地叹了口气,仰望着天空。

“Unhappy father,” said Monte Cristo. The count continued:
“可怜的父亲,”蒙泰克里斯托说道。伯爵继续说道:

“‘I have given him renewed life and hope, in the assurance that you have the power of restoring the son whom he has vainly sought for fifteen years.’”
“‘我给他带来了新的生活和希望,因为相信你有能力找回他失散已久的儿子,这是他费尽心思寻找了十五年的儿子。’”

The major looked at the count with an indescribable expression of anxiety.
少校用难以形容的焦虑表情看着伯爵。

“I have the power of so doing,” said Monte Cristo. The major recovered his self-possession.
“我有能力做到这点,”蒙泰克里斯托说道。少校恢复了镇定。

“So, then,” said he, “the letter was true to the end?”
“那么,”他说,“信件的结尾是真实的吗?”

“Did you doubt it, my dear Monsieur Bartolomeo?”
“亲爱的巴托洛梅奥先生,你怀疑过吗?”

“No, indeed; certainly not; a good man, a man holding religious office, as does the Abbé Busoni, could not condescend to deceive or play off a joke; —
“不,当然没有。一个好人,一个像阿贝布索尼那样担任宗教职位的人,不会降低身份去欺骗或开玩笑; —

but your excellency has not read all.”
但您的优秀您还没读完。”

“Ah, true,” said Monte Cristo “there is a postscript.”
“啊,真的。” 蒙特克里斯托说,“还有一个附言。”

“Yes, yes,” repeated the major, “yes—there—is—a—postscript.”
“是的,是的。” 司令重复,“是-有-一个-附言。”

“‘In order to save Major Cavalcanti the trouble of drawing on his banker, I send him a draft for 2,000 francs to defray his travelling expenses, and credit on you for the further sum of 48, 000 francs, which you still owe me.’”
“’为了省去卡瓦尔克昂蒂少校跟银行家进行交涉的麻烦,我寄给他一张价值2000法郎的支票来支付他的旅行费用,并且向您的账户上支付48000法郎,这是您欠我的剩余金额。’”

The major awaited the conclusion of the postscript, apparently with great anxiety.
少校焦急地等待着附言的结束。

“Very good,” said the count.
“很好,” 贵族说道。

“He said ‘very good,’” muttered the major, “then—sir——” replied he.
“他说‘很好,’” 少校低声咕哝道,“然后——先生——” 他回答道。

“Then what?” asked Monte Cristo.
“然后呢?” 蒙特克里斯托问道。

“Then the postscript——”
“然后附言——”

“Well; what of the postscript?”
“那么,附言是什么?”

“Then the postscript is as favorably received by you as the rest of the letter?”
“那么,这封信的附言对您来说和信的其余部分一样受欢迎吗?”

“Certainly; the Abbé Busoni and myself have a small account open between us. —
“当然;Abbé Busoni和我之间有一个未结的小账户。 —

I do not remember if it is exactly 48,000 francs, which I am still owing him, but I dare say we shall not dispute the difference. —
我不记得确切数额是多少,可能是48,000法郎,我还欠他的,但我相信我们不会为此争论不休。 —

You attached great importance, then, to this postscript, my dear Monsieur Cavalcanti?”
那么,我亲爱的卡瓦尔坎蒂先生,你是非常重视这个附言的?”

“I must explain to you,” said the major, “that, fully confiding in the signature of the Abbé Busoni, I had not provided myself with any other funds; —
“我必须向您解释,”major说,“我完全信任Abbé Busoni的签名,所以我没有准备其他资金; —

so that if this resource had failed me, I should have found myself very unpleasantly situated in Paris.”
所以,如果这个资源失败了,我会在巴黎感到非常不愉快。”

“Is it possible that a man of your standing should be embarrassed anywhere?” said Monte Cristo.
“一个地位如您的人难道还会在任何地方为难吗?”Monte Cristo说。

“Why, really I know no one,” said the major.
“噢,真的,我不认识任何人,”major说。

“But then you yourself are known to others?”
“那么,您自己是否为他人所知呢?”

“Yes, I am known, so that——”
“是的,我是有名的,所以——”

“Proceed, my dear Monsieur Cavalcanti.”
“继续,我亲爱的卡瓦尔坎蒂先生。”

“So that you will remit to me these 48,000 francs?”
“所以,您会为我汇款这48,000法郎吗?”

“Certainly, at your first request.” The major’s eyes dilated with pleasing astonishment. —
“当然了,你的第一个请求我会答应。”少校惊喜地眼睛亮了起来。 —

“But sit down,” said Monte Cristo; “really I do not know what I have been thinking of—I have positively kept you standing for the last quarter of an hour.”
“但是请坐,”蒙特克里斯托说道,“真不知道我在想些什么——我竟然让你站了整整一个小时。”

“Don’t mention it.” The major drew an armchair towards him, and proceeded to seat himself.
“不要介意。”少校拉来一个扶手椅,开始坐下。

“Now,” said the count, “what will you take—a glass of sherry, port, or Alicante?”
“现在,”伯爵说道,“你想要喝点什么——雪利酒、波尔图酒还是亚利坎特酒?”

“Alicante, if you please; it is my favorite wine.”
“请给我来一杯亚利坎特酒,那是我最喜欢的酒。”

“I have some that is very good. You will take a biscuit with it, will you not?”
“我有一些非常好的。你想要来块饼干吗?”

“Yes, I will take a biscuit, as you are so obliging.”
“是的,你这么好心,我就吃块饼干。”

Monte Cristo rang; Baptistin appeared. The count advanced to meet him.
蒙特克里斯托按铃;巴蒂斯坦出现了。伯爵迎了上去。

“Well?” said he in a low voice.
“怎么样?”他低声问道。

“The young man is here,” said the valet de chambre in the same tone.
“那个年轻人来了,”家仆以同样的语气说道。

“Into what room did you take him?”
“你带他进了哪间房间?”

“Into the blue drawing-room, according to your excellency’s orders.”
“按您阁下的指示,我带他进了蓝色客厅。”

“That’s right; now bring the Alicante and some biscuits.”
“很好;现在给我带来亚利坎特酒和一些饼干。”

Baptistin left the room.
Baptistin离开了房间。

“Really,” said the major, “I am quite ashamed of the trouble I am giving you.”
“真的吗,”大人说,“我对我给您带来的麻烦感到非常惭愧。”

“Pray don’t mention such a thing,” said the count. —
“请不要提这样的事情,”伯爵说道。 —

Baptistin re-entered with glasses, wine, and biscuits. —
Baptistin拿着玻璃杯、葡萄酒和饼干又进来了。 —

The count filled one glass, but in the other he only poured a few drops of the ruby-colored liquid. —
伯爵倒满了一个杯子,但在另一个杯子里只倒了几滴红宝石色的液体。 —

The bottle was covered with spiders’ webs, and all the other signs which indicate the age of wine more truly than do wrinkles on a man’s face. —
瓶子上布满了蜘蛛网和其他显示酒的陈年的标志,比一个人脸上的皱纹更真实。 —

The major made a wise choice; he took the full glass and a biscuit. —
大人做了一个明智的选择;他拿起了满满的一杯和一个饼干。 —

The count told Baptistin to leave the plate within reach of his guest, who began by sipping the Alicante with an expression of great satisfaction, and then delicately steeped his biscuit in the wine.
伯爵让Baptistin把盘子放在客人能够触及的地方,客人满意地一边享用着Alicante一边将饼干蘸入葡萄酒中。

“So, sir, you lived at Lucca, did you? You were rich, noble, held in great esteem—had all that could render a man happy?”
“所以,先生,您曾在卢卡居住,是吗?您是富有的、高贵的,受到很高的尊重——拥有一切可以使一个人幸福的东西?”

“All,” said the major, hastily swallowing his biscuit, “positively all.”
“所有的一切,”大人在匆忙地吃完饼干后说,“确实全部。”

“And yet there was one thing wanting in order to complete your happiness?”
“然而,还有一件事情来完善你的幸福吗?”

“Only one thing,” said the Italian.
“只有一件事,“意大利人说。

“And that one thing, your lost child.”
“那件事情就是,你失去的孩子。”

“Ah,” said the major, taking a second biscuit, “that consummation of my happiness was indeed wanting. —
“啊,”主人扬起目光,叹了口气,“那么令我幸福的终极目标确实是缺少的。” —

” The worthy major raised his eyes to heaven and sighed.
“可敬的主人抬起眼睛仰望天空,叹息着。

“Let me hear, then,” said the count, “who this deeply regretted son was; —
“那么,请告诉我,”伯爵说,“这个深深懊悔的儿子是谁; —

for I always understood you were a bachelor.”
“因为我一直以为你是单身。”

“That was the general opinion, sir,” said the major, “and I——”
“那是大众的观点,先生,”主人说,“而我——”

“Yes,” replied the count, “and you confirmed the report. —
“是的,”伯爵回答,“你证实了这个传闻。 —

A youthful indiscretion, I suppose, which you were anxious to conceal from the world at large?”
“我猜是青春的冲动,你急于向世人隐瞒?”

The major recovered himself, and resumed his usual calm manner, at the same time casting his eyes down, either to give himself time to compose his countenance, or to assist his imagination, all the while giving an under-look at the count, the protracted smile on whose lips still announced the same polite curiosity.
这位少校重新恢复了镇定,同时将目光低垂,或是为了给自己争取时间来平复面容,或是为了帮助自己的想象力,并时不时地瞟一眼那位伯爵,他嘴角挂着的持久微笑仍然展示着同样温文尔雅的好奇心。

“Yes,” said the major, “I did wish this fault to be hidden from every eye.”
“是的,”少校说道,“我确实希望这个错误被所有人看不见。”

“Not on your own account, surely,” replied Monte Cristo; —
“肯定不是因为你自己的原因吧,”蒙蒂克里斯托回答道; —

“for a man is above that sort of thing?”
“因为一个人应该超脱于此之上?”

“Oh, no, certainly not on my own account,” said the major with a smile and a shake of the head.
“哦,不,当然不是因为我自己的原因。”少校微笑着摇了摇头道。

“But for the sake of the mother?” said the count.
“而是为了那位母亲的缘故?”伯爵说道。

“Yes, for the mother’s sake—his poor mother!” cried the major, taking a third biscuit.
“是的,是为了那位母亲的缘故-他可怜的母亲!”少校喊道,取了第三块饼干。

“Take some more wine, my dear Cavalcanti,” said the count, pouring out for him a second glass of Alicante; —
“再喝点酒吧,我亲爱的卡瓦尔坎蒂先生。”伯爵说道,倒了他第二杯阿利坎特酒; —

“your emotion has quite overcome you.”
“你的情绪确实使你不堪一击。”

“His poor mother,” murmured the major, trying to get the lachrymal gland in operation, so as to moisten the corner of his eye with a false tear.
“他可怜的母亲,”少校低声说道,试图让泪腺发挥作用,以便用虚假的眼泪弄湿眼角。

“She belonged to one of the first families in Italy, I think, did she not?”
“她不是来自意大利的第一家族吗?”

“She was of a noble family of Fiesole, count.”
“她来自费耶索勒的一个贵族家族,伯爵。”

“And her name was——”
“她的名字是——”

“Do you desire to know her name——?”
“你想知道她的名字吗——?”

“Oh,” said Monte Cristo “it would be quite superfluous for you to tell me, for I already know it.”
“哦,”蒙特克里斯托说,“你告诉我这个已经多余了,因为我已经知道了。”

“The count knows everything,” said the Italian, bowing.
“伯爵什么都知道,”意大利人鞠躬说道。

“Oliva Corsinari, was it not?”
“奥利瓦·科西纳里,对吗?”

“Oliva Corsinari!”
“奥利瓦·科西纳里!”

“A marchioness?”
“一个侯爵夫人?”

“A marchioness!”
“一个侯爵夫人!”

“And you married her at last, notwithstanding the opposition of her family?”
“尽管她家族反对,你最终还是娶了她?”

“Yes, that was the way it ended.”
“是的,就是这样结束了。”

“And you have doubtless brought all your papers with you?” said Monte Cristo.
“你肯定带来了所有的文件?”蒙特克里斯托说道。

“What papers?”
“什么文件?”

“The certificate of your marriage with Oliva Corsinari, and the register of your child’s birth.”
“您与Oliva Corsinari的婚姻证书和您孩子的出生登记。”

“The register of my child’s birth?”
“孩子的出生登记?”

“The register of the birth of Andrea Cavalcanti—of your son; is not his name Andrea?”
“安德烈·卡瓦尔坎蒂(Andrea Cavalcanti)的出生登记——您的儿子;他的名字不是安德烈吗?”

“I believe so,” said the major.
“我想是的,”大尉说道。

“What? You believe so?”
“什么?您只是想是吗?”

“I dare not positively assert it, as he has been lost for so long a time.”
“我不敢确定,因为他已经失踪了这么久。”

“Well, then,” said Monte Cristo “you have all the documents with you?”
蒙特·克里斯托说:“那么,您手上是否有所有的文件?”

“Your excellency, I regret to say that, not knowing it was necessary to come provided with these papers, I neglected to bring them.”
“阁下,非常抱歉,我不知道需要带着这些文件前来,所以我忘记带了。”

“That is unfortunate,” returned Monte Cristo.
“那真不幸,”蒙特·克里斯托说。

“Were they, then, so necessary?”
“那么,它们真的那么必要吗?”

“They were indispensable.”
“它们是必不可少的。”

The major passed his hand across his brow. “Ah, perbacco, indispensable, were they?”
大尉用手轻轻揉了揉额头。“啊,拜托,它们真的必不可少吗?”

“Certainly they were; supposing there were to be doubts raised as to the validity of your marriage or the legitimacy of your child?”
“当然是,假设有人对您的婚姻的有效性或您孩子的合法性产生了怀疑呢?”

“True,” said the major, “there might be doubts raised.”
“确实,”大尉说,“可能会有人产生怀疑。”

“In that case your son would be very unpleasantly situated.”
“那样的话,你的儿子会处境非常不愉快。”

“It would be fatal to his interests.”
“这对他的利益将是致命的。”

“It might cause him to fail in some desirable matrimonial alliance.”
“这可能导致他无法达成某个理想的婚姻联盟。”

O peccato!
哦,真可惜!

“You must know that in France they are very particular on these points; —
“你必须知道,在法国,他们对这些事情非常讲究;” —

it is not sufficient, as in Italy, to go to the priest and say, ‘We love each other, and want you to marry us. —
“不像在意大利,只需去找神父说‘我们彼此相爱,希望你嫁给我们吧。’” —

’ Marriage is a civil affair in France, and in order to marry in an orthodox manner you must have papers which undeniably establish your identity.”
“在法国,婚姻是一个民事事务,为了以正统方式结婚,你必须拥有明确证明你身份的文件。”

“That is the misfortune! You see I have not these necessary papers.”
“这就是不幸的地方!你看,我没有这些必需的文件。”

“Fortunately, I have them, though,” said Monte Cristo.
“幸运的是,我有这些文件,”蒙特克里斯托说。

“You?”
“你?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“You have them?”
“你有这些文件?”

“I have them.”
“我有。”

“Ah, indeed?” said the major, who, seeing the object of his journey frustrated by the absence of the papers, feared also that his forgetfulness might give rise to some difficulty concerning the 48, 000 francs—“ah, indeed, that is a fortunate circumstance; —
“啊,确实如此?”少校说道,他既看到旅程目的因文件不在而受挫,又担心他的遗忘可能会引发一些关于48,000法郎的困难——”啊,确实如此,这是个幸运的事情; —

yes, that really is lucky, for it never occurred to me to bring them.”
“是的,那真是幸运,因为我从未想过要带它们。”

“I do not at all wonder at it—one cannot think of everything; —
“我一点也不奇怪-人不可能考虑得到一切; —

but, happily, the Abbé Busoni thought for you.”
幸好,阿贝·布索尼替你想到了。”

“He is an excellent person.”
“他是个极好的人。”

“He is extremely prudent and thoughtful.”
“他非常谨慎和周到。”

“He is an admirable man,” said the major; “and he sent them to you?”
“他是个了不起的人,”大佐说,“他把它们送给你了?”

“Here they are.”
“就在这儿。”

The major clasped his hands in token of admiration.
大佐双手合十表示钦佩。

“You married Oliva Corsinari in the church of San Paolo del Monte-Cattini; —
“你在San Paolo del Monte-Cattini教堂与Oliva Corsinari结婚了; —

here is the priest’s certificate.”
这是神父的证书。”

“Yes indeed, there it is truly,” said the Italian, looking on with astonishment.
“是的,确实是,”意大利人惊奇地看着。

“And here is Andrea Cavalcanti’s baptismal register, given by the curé of Saravezza.”
“这是Andrea Cavalcanti的洗礼注册,来自Saravezza的神父。”

“All quite correct.”
“完全正确。”

“Take these documents, then; they do not concern me. —
“把这些文件拿去吧;它们与我无关。 —

You will give them to your son, who will, of course, take great care of them.”
你会把它们给你的儿子,他当然会好好保管它们。”

“I should think so, indeed! If he were to lose them——”
“我倒是这样认为!如果他把它们丢了——”

“Well, and if he were to lose them?” said Monte Cristo.
“那么,如果他把它们丢了呢?”蒙蒂·克里斯托问道。

“In that case,” replied the major, “it would be necessary to write to the curé for duplicates, and it would be some time before they could be obtained.”
“那种情况下,”少校回答道,“就需要给教区主任写信,申请开具副本, 那需要一些时间。”

“It would be a difficult matter to arrange,” said Monte Cristo.
“这将是一个难题,”蒙蒂·克里斯托说道。

“Almost an impossibility,” replied the major.
“几乎是不可能的,”少校回答道。

“I am very glad to see that you understand the value of these papers.”
“我很高兴看到你理解这些文件的价值。”

“I regard them as invaluable.”
“我把它们视为无价之宝。”

“Now,” said Monte Cristo “as to the mother of the young man——”
“现在,”蒙蒂·克里斯托说道,“关于这个年轻人的母亲——”

“As to the mother of the young man——” repeated the Italian, with anxiety.
“关于这个年轻人的母亲——”意大利人焦急地重复着。

“As regards the Marchesa Corsinari——”
“关于科尔西纳瑞侯爵夫人——”

“Really,” said the major, “difficulties seem to thicken upon us; —
“真的,”少校说道,“问题好像越来越棘手了; —

will she be wanted in any way?”
她会在任何方面被需要吗?”

“No, sir,” replied Monte Cristo; “besides, has she not——”
“不会,先生,”蒙蒂·克里斯托回答道,“而且,她不是已经——”

“Yes, sir,” said the major, “she has——”
“是的,先生,”少校说道,“她已经——”

“Paid the last debt of nature?”
“偿还了生命最后的债务?”

“Alas, yes,” returned the Italian.
“唉,是的,”意大利人回答道。

“I knew that,” said Monte Cristo; “she has been dead these ten years.”
“我知道了,”蒙特克里斯托说,“她已经去世十年了。”

“And I am still mourning her loss,” exclaimed the major, drawing from his pocket a checked handkerchief, and alternately wiping first the left and then the right eye.
“我仍在为她的离世哀悼,”大老爷喊道,从口袋里掏出一块方格手帕,交替擦拭左眼和右眼。

“What would you have?” said Monte Cristo; “we are all mortal. —
“你想要怎么样呢?”蒙特克里斯托说,“我们都是凡人。” —

Now, you understand, my dear Monsieur Cavalcanti, that it is useless for you to tell people in France that you have been separated from your son for fifteen years. —
现在,亲爱的卡瓦尔坎蒂先生,你要明白,在法国告诉人们你与儿子分开了十五年是没有意义的。 —

Stories of gypsies, who steal children, are not at all in vogue in this part of the world, and would not be believed. —
在这个世界的这个地方,关于偷孩子的吉卜赛人的故事已经过时了,没人会相信。 —

You sent him for his education to a college in one of the provinces, and now you wish him to complete his education in the Parisian world. —
你把他送到一个省份的大学接受教育,现在你希望他在巴黎世界完成他的教育。 —

That is the reason which has induced you to leave Via Reggio, where you have lived since the death of your wife. —
这就是导致你离开雷焦维亚的原因,你在那里生活了你妻子去世之后。 —

That will be sufficient.”
这就足够了。

“You think so?”
“你这么认为吗?”

“Certainly.”
“当然。”

“Very well, then.”
“很好,那就这样吧。”

“If they should hear of the separation——”
“如果他们听说分离的事情——”

“Ah, yes; what could I say?”
“啊,是的;我能说什么呢?”

“That an unfaithful tutor, bought over by the enemies of your family——”
“说一个不忠诚的家庭教师,被你家的敌人收买——”

“By the Corsinari?”
“被卡尔西纳里人收买?”

“Precisely. Had stolen away this child, in order that your name might become extinct.”
“正是。为了让你的名字消失不见,偷走了这个孩子。”

“That is reasonable, since he is an only son.”
“既然他是独子,这很合理。”

“Well, now that all is arranged, do not let these newly awakened remembrances be forgotten. —
“好了,既然一切都安排好了,不要让这些新觉醒的记忆被遗忘。” —

You have, doubtless, already guessed that I was preparing a surprise for you?”
“你肯定已经猜到我正在为你准备一个惊喜了吧?”

“An agreeable one?” asked the Italian.
“一个令人愉快的惊喜?”意大利人问道。

“Ah, I see the eye of a father is no more to be deceived than his heart.”
“啊,我看你作为一个父亲的眼睛是再也不能被欺骗的了,就像他的心一样。”

“Hum!” said the major.
“嗯!”大军人说道。

“Someone has told you the secret; or, perhaps, you guessed that he was here.”
“有人告诉过你这个秘密;或者,也许你猜到他就在这里。”

“That who was here?”
“他在这里?”

“Your child—your son—your Andrea!”
“你的孩子——你的儿子——你的安德烈!”

“I did guess it,” replied the major with the greatest possible coolness. “Then he is here?”
“我已经猜到了,”大军人以最大可能的冷静回答道。“那么他在这里?”

“He is,” said Monte Cristo; “when the valet de chambre came in just now, he told me of his arrival.”
“他是的,”蒙特克里斯托说,“刚才仆人进来时告诉我他的到来。”

“Ah, very well, very well,” said the major, clutching the buttons of his coat at each exclamation.
“啊,非常好,非常好,”少校说着,每说一句就紧握一下他外套上的钮扣。

“My dear sir,” said Monte Cristo, “I understand your emotion; —
“亲爱的先生,”蒙特克里斯托说,“我理解你的激动; —

you must have time to recover yourself. I will, in the meantime, go and prepare the young man for this much-desired interview, for I presume that he is not less impatient for it than yourself.”
你需要一些时间让自己恢复。与此同时,我会去准备年轻人迫切期待的这次面谈,因为我猜想他和你一样迫不及待。”

“I should quite imagine that to be the case,” said Cavalcanti.
“我想这是肯定的。”卡瓦尔坎蒂说。

“Well, in a quarter of an hour he shall be with you.”
“好的,一个小时后他就会和你见面。”

“You will bring him, then? You carry your goodness so far as even to present him to me yourself?”
“那你会带他来吗?你甚至亲自向我介绍他?”

“No; I do not wish to come between a father and son. Your interview will be private. —
“不,我不想在父子之间插一脚。你们的面谈将是私人的。 —

But do not be uneasy; even if the powerful voice of nature should be silent, you cannot well mistake him; —
但是请放心;即使自然界强有力的声音沉默不起,你也不可能搞错他; —

he will enter by this door. He is a fine young man, of fair complexion—a little too fair, perhaps—pleasing in manners; —
他将从这扇门进入。他是一个身材匀称的年轻人,面色白皙,也许有点过于白皙,举止讨人喜欢; —

but you will see and judge for yourself.”
但您会亲眼见到并判断的。”

“By the way,” said the major, “you know I have only the 2, 000 francs which the Abbé Busoni sent me; —
“顺便说一下,”特别少校说,“您知道我只有教士布索尼给我的2000法郎; —

this sum I have expended upon travelling expenses, and——”
这笔钱我已经用在了旅行费上,还有——”

“And you want money; that is a matter of course, my dear M. Cavalcanti. —
“而您需要钱,这是理所当然的,我亲爱的卡瓦尔坎蒂先生。 —

Well, here are 8,000 francs on account.”
好吧,这里有8000法郎的定金。”

The major’s eyes sparkled brilliantly.
特别少校的眼睛闪烁着明亮的光芒。

“It is 40,000 francs which I now owe you,” said Monte Cristo.
“这是我现在欠您的40000法郎。”蒙特克里斯托说。

“Does your excellency wish for a receipt? —
“您阁下是否需要收据? —

” said the major, at the same time slipping the money into the inner pocket of his coat.
“特别少校同时将钱塞进了外衣内口袋中。

“For what?” said the count.
“干什么用?”伯爵问道。

“I thought you might want it to show the Abbé Busoni.”
“我以为您可能想拿它给教士布索尼看。”

“Well, when you receive the remaining 40,000, you shall give me a receipt in full. —
“好吧,等您收到剩下的40000法郎时,请给我一张全款收据。 —

Between honest men such excessive precaution is, I think, quite unnecessary.”
在诚实的人之间,我认为如此过分的谨慎是完全不必要的。”

“Yes, so it is, between perfectly upright people.”
“是的,没错,只有完全正直的人之间才会有这样的事情。”

“One word more,” said Monte Cristo.
“还有一句话,”蒙德·克里斯托说。

“Say on.”
“说吧。”

“You will permit me to make one remark?”
“你允许我发表一点意见吗?”

“Certainly; pray do so.”
“当然,尽管说。”

“Then I should advise you to leave off wearing that style of dress.”
“那我建议你不要再穿那种样式的服装了。”

“Indeed,” said the major, regarding himself with an air of complete satisfaction.
“确实,”少校自豪地审视着自己。

“Yes. It may be worn at Via Reggio; but that costume, however elegant in itself, has long been out of fashion in Paris.”
“是的。在Via Reggio可能还可以穿,但是那种款式,虽然本身很优雅,但在巴黎已经过时了。”

“That’s unfortunate.”
“那太不幸了。”

“Oh, if you really are attached to your old mode of dress; —
“哦,如果你真的喜欢你旧的着装方式; —

you can easily resume it when you leave Paris.”
离开巴黎时你可以轻松地恢复它。”

“But what shall I wear?”
“但是我该穿什么呢?”

“What you find in your trunks.”
“你箱子里有什么就穿什么。”

“In my trunks? I have but one portmanteau.”
“在我的箱子里?我只有一个旅行箱。”

“I dare say you have nothing else with you. —
“我猜你除此之外没有别的东西了。” —

What is the use of boring one’s self with so many things? —
把自己弄得无聊是有什么用处的? —

Besides an old soldier always likes to march with as little baggage as possible.”
此外,老兵总是喜欢带着尽可能少的行李行军。

“That is just the case—precisely so.”
“正是这个案例-确切如此。”

“But you are a man of foresight and prudence, therefore you sent your luggage on before you. —
“但是您是一个有远见和谨慎的人,所以您事先就将行李送出了。 —

It has arrived at the Hôtel des Princes, Rue de Richelieu. —
它已经到达了里切利厄街的帝王酒店。 —

It is there you are to take up your quarters.”
那就是你要入住的地方。

“Then, in these trunks——”
“然后,在这些行李箱里——”

“I presume you have given orders to your valet de chambre to put in all you are likely to need, —your plain clothes and your uniform. —
“我想您已经命令您的随身男仆将您可能需要的一切都放进去了,您的便服和制服。 —

On grand occasions you must wear your uniform; that will look very well. —
在重要场合您必须穿制服;那看起来会非常好。 —

Do not forget your crosses. They still laugh at them in France, and yet always wear them, for all that.”
不要忘记您的勋章。在法国,他们还是嘲笑它们,但却总是佩戴着,尽管如此。”

“Very well, very well,” said the major, who was in ecstasy at the attention paid him by the count.
“很好,非常好,”少校说道,他对伯爵对他的关注感到兴奋。

“Now,” said Monte Cristo, “that you have fortified yourself against all painful excitement, prepare yourself, my dear M. Cavalcanti, to meet your lost Andrea.”
“现在,”蒙特·克里斯托说道,“既然你已经对所有痛苦的刺激做好了防备,我亲爱的卡瓦尔坎蒂先生,请准备迎接你失散已久的安德烈。”

Saying which Monte Cristo bowed, and disappeared behind the tapestry, leaving the major fascinated beyond expression with the delightful reception which he had received at the hands of the count.
蒙特·克里斯托说完后鞠了一躬,随即从挂毯后消失了,留下了这位参谋感到无比着迷的愉快接待。