The day following this scene, at the hour Debray usually chose to pay a visit to Madame Danglars on his way to his office, his coupé did not appear. —
在这一幕发生的第二天,大约是德布雷通常在上班途中拜访达尔格拉夫人的时间,他的马车没有出现。 —

At this time, that is, about half-past twelve, Madame Danglars ordered her carriage, and went out. —
此时大约是十二点半,达尔格拉夫人叫了自己的马车,出门了。 —

Danglars, hidden behind a curtain, watched the departure he had been waiting for. —
丹格拉夫人藏在帘子后面,观看着他一直在等待的离开。 —

He gave orders that he should be informed as soon as Madame Danglars appeared; —
他下令一有达尔格拉夫人的出现就通知他; —

but at two o’clock she had not returned. —
但到了两点钟她还没有回来。 —

He then called for his horses, drove to the Chamber, and inscribed his name to speak against the budget. —
于是他叫来马车,开往议会,签了字反对预算。 —

From twelve to two o’clock Danglars had remained in his study, unsealing his dispatches, and becoming more and more sad every minute, heaping figure upon figure, and receiving, among other visits, one from Major Cavalcanti, who, as stiff and exact as ever, presented himself precisely at the hour named the night before, to terminate his business with the banker.
从十二点到两点,丹格拉夫人一直呆在自己的书房里,打开信件,每一分钟都变得越来越沮丧,累积了许多数字,还接待了其他访客,其中包括卡瓦尔坎蒂少校,他像往常一样拘谨而准时地在前一晚约定的时间出现,与银行家交办的事务终结了。

On leaving the Chamber, Danglars, who had shown violent marks of agitation during the sitting, and been more bitter than ever against the ministry, re-entered his carriage, and told the coachman to drive to the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, No. 30.
在离开议会大厅后,当顶着激烈的动荡痕迹进入马车时,当格拉尔斯对政府极为愤懑时,他告诉教练把车开到香榭丽舍大街30号。

Monte Cristo was at home; only he was engaged with someone and begged Danglars to wait for a moment in the drawing-room. —
蒙特克里斯托先生在家;只是他正与某人会谈,并请当格拉尔斯在客厅等一会儿。 —

While the banker was waiting in the anteroom, the door opened, and a man dressed as an abbé and doubtless more familiar with the house than he was, came in and instead of waiting, merely bowed, passed on to the farther apartments, and disappeared.
当银行家正在前厅等待时,门开了,一个打扮成神父的人显然对这所房子比他更熟悉,他只是点头致意,径直走向更远的房间,然后消失了。

A minute after the door by which the priest had entered reopened, and Monte Cristo appeared.
一分钟后,那个神父进入的门重新打开,蒙特克里斯托出现了。

“Pardon me,” said he, “my dear baron, but one of my friends, the Abbé Busoni, whom you perhaps saw pass by, has just arrived in Paris; —
“对不起,”他说,“我亲爱的男爵,我的一位朋友,阿贝·布索尼神父,也许你刚才看到他经过,他刚刚到达巴黎; —

not having seen him for a long time, I could not make up my mind to leave him sooner, so I hope this will be sufficient reason for my having made you wait.”
很久没见到他,所以我不愿意很快离开他,希望这个理由足以让你等待。

“Nay,” said Danglars, “it is my fault; —
“不,这是我的错; —

I have chosen my visit at a wrong time, and will retire.”
我来访的时机选错了,我会离开的。”

“Not at all; on the contrary, be seated; but what is the matter with you? You look careworn; —
“完全没问题,相反,请坐下;但是你怎么了?你看起来愁眉苦脸的; —

really, you alarm me. Melancholy in a capitalist, like the appearance of a comet, presages some misfortune to the world.”
真的,你让我担心。资本家的忧郁,就像彗星的出现,预示着世界上会有不幸的事情发生。”

“I have been in ill-luck for several days,” said Danglars, “and I have heard nothing but bad news.”
“我近几天一直倒霉,”旁的达格拉斯说,“我只听到坏消息。”

“Ah, indeed?” said Monte Cristo. “Have you had another fall at the Bourse?”
“啊,真的吗?”蒙蒂·克里斯托问道,“你又在证券交易所遭受了损失吗?”

“No; I am safe for a few days at least. I am only annoyed about a bankrupt of Trieste.”
“没有,至少短期内我是安全的。我只是为一个垮掉的威尼斯人而烦恼。”

“Really? Does it happen to be Jacopo Manfredi?”
“真的吗?难道是雅各布·曼弗雷蒂?”

“Exactly so. Imagine a man who has transacted business with me for I don’t know how long, to the amount of 800,000 or 900,000 francs during the year. —
“确实如此。想象一下,一个与我做了不知道多长时间的生意,一年交易了八九十万法郎的人。” —

Never a mistake or delay—a fellow who paid like a prince. —
从来没有错误或延误-一个像王子一样付款的伙计。 —

Well, I was a million in advance with him, and now my fine Jacopo Manfredi suspends payment!”
嗯,我提前一百万和他交易,现在我的好基友雅各布·曼弗雷迪停止付款了!

“Really?”
“真的吗?”

“It is an unheard-of fatality. I draw upon him for 600,000 francs, my bills are returned unpaid, and, more than that, I hold bills of exchange signed by him to the value of 400,000 francs, payable at his correspondent’s in Paris at the end of this month. —
“这是一个闻所未闻的厄运。我向他索取了60万法郎,我的票据被退回未付款,而且,我还持有他签署的价值40万法郎的汇票,于本月底在他的巴黎对方处付款。 —

Today is the 30th. I present them; but my correspondent has disappeared. —
今天是30号。我提交了这些汇票,但我的对方已经消失了。 —

This, with my Spanish affairs, made a pretty end to the month.”
加上我的西班牙事务,这个月过得很糟糕。

“Then you really lost by that affair in Spain?”
“那你在西班牙的那件事真的亏了吗?”

“Yes; only 700,000 francs out of my cash box—nothing more!”
“是的;只有我的钱箱里的70万法郎—没有更多!”

“Why, how could you make such a mistake—such an old stager?”
“嗨,你怎么会犯这样一个错误—真是个老手了!”

“Oh, it is all my wife’s fault. She dreamed Don Carlos had returned to Spain; —
“哦,全是我妻子的错。她梦到了卡洛斯回到了西班牙; —

she believes in dreams. It is magnetism, she says, and when she dreams a thing it is sure to happen, she assures me. —
她相信梦是真的。她说那是磁性,她梦到的事情一定会发生。 —

On this conviction I allow her to speculate, she having her bank and her stockbroker; —
基于这个信念,我让她进行投机,她有自己的银行和股票经纪人; —

she speculated and lost. It is true she speculates with her own money, not mine; —
她拿自己的钱进行投机,不是我的钱; —

nevertheless, you can understand that when 700, 000 francs leave the wife’s pocket, the husband always finds it out. —
然而,你可以理解,当70万法郎从妻子的口袋里消失时,丈夫总会发现的。 —

But do you mean to say you have not heard of this? —
但你是说你没有听说过这件事吗? —

Why, the thing has made a tremendous noise.”
为什么呢,这件事可大为轰动。”

“Yes, I heard it spoken of, but I did not know the details, and then no one can be more ignorant than I am of the affairs in the Bourse.”
“是的,我听人谈论过,但我不知道细节,而且没有人比我更不了解证交所的事情了。”

“Then you do not speculate?”
“那么你不进行投机吗?”

“I?—How could I speculate when I already have so much trouble in regulating my income? —
“我?—我怎么可能进行投机,当我已经有这么多麻烦来管理我的收入了? —

I should be obliged, besides my steward, to keep a clerk and a boy. —
除了我的管家,我还应该雇一个职员和一个男孩。 —

But touching these Spanish affairs, I think that the baroness did not dream the whole of the Don Carlos matter. —
但是关于这些西班牙事务,我认为男爵夫人并不完全是在做梦关于唐·卡洛斯的事情。 —

The papers said something about it, did they not?”
报纸上有关于这个的报道,不是吗?

“Then you believe the papers?”
那你相信报纸的报道吗?

“I?—not the least in the world; only I fancied that the honest Messager was an exception to the rule, and that it only announced telegraphic despatches.”
我?一点也不相信;只是我以为诚实的《使者报》是个例外,只会发布电报。

“Well, that’s what puzzles me,” replied Danglars; —
嗯,这就是让我困惑的地方,” Danglars回答说。 —

“the news of the return of Don Carlos was brought by telegraph.”
《唐·卡洛斯回归的消息是通过电报传来的。”

“So that,” said Monte Cristo, “you have lost nearly 1,700,000 francs this month.”
所以,”蒙特·克里斯托说,“这个月你损失了将近170万法郎。”

“Not nearly, indeed; that is exactly my loss.”
不仅仅是接近,而是准确地说是我的亏损。

Diable!” said Monte Cristo compassionately, “it is a hard blow for a third-rate fortune.”
真是魔鬼!” 蒙特·克里斯托心怀同情地说:“这对于一个三流的财富来说是一个沉重的打击。”

“Third-rate,” said Danglars, rather humble, “what do you mean by that?”
三流?” Danglars有点谦卑地说,“你是什么意思?”

“Certainly,” continued Monte Cristo, “I make three assortments in fortune—first-rate, second-rate, and third-rate fortunes. —
“当然,”蒙蒂·克里斯托继续说道,“我对财富分为三类:一等财富、二等财富和三等财富。 —

I call those first-rate which are composed of treasures one possesses under one’s hand, such as mines, lands, and funded property, in such states as France, Austria, and England, provided these treasures and property form a total of about a hundred millions; —
我所说的一等财富是指那些手头拥有的财宝,比如矿藏、土地和投资产业,在法国、奥地利和英国等国家,只要这些财富和资产总计约达一亿法郎; —

I call those second-rate fortunes, that are gained by manufacturing enterprises, joint-stock companies, viceroyalties, and principalities, not drawing more than 1,500, 000 francs, the whole forming a capital of about fifty millions; —
我所说的二等财富是指通过制造业企业、股份公司、总督职位和公国而获得的财富,这些财富总共不超过一百五十万法郎,总计约五千万法郎的资本; —

finally, I call those third-rate fortunes, which are composed of a fluctuating capital, dependent upon the will of others, or upon chances which a bankruptcy involves or a false telegram shakes, such as banks, speculations of the day—in fact, all operations under the influence of greater or less mischances, the whole bringing in a real or fictitious capital of about fifteen millions. —
最后,我称那些由波动的资本组成、依赖他人的意愿或破产所带来的机会,或受到虚假电报的冲击而产生的第三流财富为第三流财富,比如银行、当天的投机——实际上,所有在更大或更小的不幸影响下进行的操作,整体上带来了一个约一千五百万的真实或虚构资本。 —

I think this is about your position, is it not?”
我想这是关于你的处境,不是吗?

“Confound it, yes!” replied Danglars.
“该死的,是的!”邓格拉回答道。

“The result, then, of six more such months as this would be to reduce the third-rate house to despair.”
那么,再过六个这样的月份,第三流的家业就会陷入绝望。

“Oh,” said Danglars, becoming very pale, how you are running on!”
“哦,”邓格拉说,脸色变得非常苍白,“你真是说个没完!”

“Let us imagine seven such months,” continued Monte Cristo, in the same tone. —
“我们设想再过七个这样的月份,”蒙蒂克里斯托以同样的语气继续说道。 —

“Tell me, have you ever thought that seven times 1,700,000 francs make nearly twelve millions? —
“告诉我,你有没有想过七次一百七十万法郎几乎等于一千二百万?” —

No, you have not;—well, you are right, for if you indulged in such reflections, you would never risk your principal, which is to the speculator what the skin is to civilized man. —
不,你没有;—唔,你说得对,如果你沉溺于这种思考,你就不会冒险去投资你的本金,因为对于投机者来说,本金就像文明人的皮肤一样重要。 —

We have our clothes, some more splendid than others,—this is our credit; —
我们有衣服,有些比其他人更华丽——这是我们的信誉; —

but when a man dies he has only his skin; —
但是当一个人死去时,他只剩下他的皮肤; —

in the same way, on retiring from business, you have nothing but your real principal of about five or six millions, at the most; —
同样地,从事业中退休时,你只剩下五六百万的真实本金,最多; —

for third-rate fortunes are never more than a fourth of what they appear to be, like the locomotive on a railway, the size of which is magnified by the smoke and steam surrounding it. —
因为三流财富永远只是表面看起来的四分之一,就像铁路上的火车头一样,其尺寸因烟雾和蒸汽而被放大; —

Well, out of the five or six millions which form your real capital, you have just lost nearly two millions, which must, of course, in the same degree diminish your credit and fictitious fortune; —
好吧,从组成你真实资本的五六百万中,你刚失去了将近两百万,这必然会同样程度地减少你的信誉和虚假财富; —

to follow out my simile, your skin has been opened by bleeding, and this if repeated three or four times will cause death—so pay attention to it, my dear Monsieur Danglars. —
继续我的比喻,你的皮肤已经被鲜血破开,如果这种情况再重复三四次就会致命 - 所以,请留心,亲爱的唐格拉先生。 —

Do you want money? Do you wish me to lend you some?”
你想要钱吗?你希望我借给你一些吗?

“What a bad calculator you are!” exclaimed Danglars, calling to his assistance all his philosophy and dissimulation. —
“你真是个糟糕的计算者!”唐格拉斯大声说道,调动起他所有的哲学和伪装。 —

“I have made money at the same time by speculations which have succeeded. —
“我通过成功的投机赚了钱。 —

I have made up the loss of blood by nutrition. —
我通过进食来恢复了失血。 —

I lost a battle in Spain, I have been defeated in Trieste, but my naval army in India will have taken some galleons, and my Mexican pioneers will have discovered some mine.”
我在西班牙输掉了一场战斗,在崔斯特落败,但我在印度的海军部队应该会劫掠到一些西班牙大帆船,而我的墨西哥先锋队应该会发现一些矿脉。”

“Very good, very good! But the wound remains and will reopen at the first loss.”
“很好,很好!但伤口还在,第一次损失就会重新打开。”

“No, for I am only embarked in certainties,” replied Danglars, with the air of a mountebank sounding his own praises; —
“不,因为我只在确定性的事情上投资,”丹格拉斯回答道,神气地吹嘘自己; —

“to involve me, three governments must crumble to dust.”
“要让我陷下去,必须有三个政府垮塌。”

“Well, such things have been.”
“唔,这种事情确实有发生过。”

“That there should be a famine!”
“会发生饥荒!”

“Recollect the seven fat and the seven lean kine.”
“想起当初法老时代的七只肥牛和七只瘦牛。”

“Or, that the sea should become dry, as in the days of Pharaoh, and even then my vessels would become caravans.”
“要是大海能像当年法老时代那样干涸,那么我的船只也会变成商队。”

“So much the better. I congratulate you, my dear M. Danglars,” said Monte Cristo; —
“那就更好了。恭喜你,亲爱的当古拉先生。”蒙特克里斯托说道; —

“I see I was deceived, and that you belong to the class of second-rate fortunes.”
“我看我被骗了,原来你属于二流财富的那一类人。”

“I think I may aspire to that honor,” said Danglars with a smile, which reminded Monte Cristo of the sickly moons which bad artists are so fond of daubing into their pictures of ruins. —
“我想我可以有这样的荣誉,”当古拉笑着说道,这笑容让蒙特克里斯托想起了不合时宜的月亮,那是差劲的画家在他们描绘废墟时喜欢乱涂的。 —

“But, while we are speaking of business,” Danglars added, pleased to find an opportunity of changing the subject, “tell me what I am to do for M. Cavalcanti.”
“但是,在我们谈论生意的时候,”当古拉高兴地找到了一个改变话题的机会,“告诉我我应该为卡瓦尔坎蒂先生做些什么。”

“Give him money, if he is recommended to you, and the recommendation seems good.”
“如果他被向你推荐,并且推荐似乎不错,给他一些钱。”

“Excellent; he presented himself this morning with a bond of 40,000 francs, payable at sight, on you, signed by Busoni, and returned by you to me, with your endorsement—of course, I immediately counted him over the forty bank-notes.”
“很好,他今天早上带着一张由布索尼签署,面额为40, 000法郎的即期付款债券,在你的背书下归还给我——当然,我立刻数清了这四十张纸币。”

Monte Cristo nodded his head in token of assent.
蒙特克里斯托点了点头表示同意。

“But that is not all,” continued Danglars; —
“但这还不是全部,”邓格拉继续说道; —

“he has opened an account with my house for his son.”
“他还在我家为他儿子开了一个账户。”

“May I ask how much he allows the young man?”
“请问他给这个年轻人多少钱?”

“Five thousand francs per month.”
“每个月五千法郎。”

“Sixty thousand francs per year. I thought I was right in believing that Cavalcanti to be a stingy fellow. —
“一年六万法郎。我觉得我没错地认为卡瓦尔坎蒂是个吝啬鬼。 —

How can a young man live upon 5,000 francs a month?”
一个年轻人怎么可能靠5000法郎过活?”

“But you understand that if the young man should want a few thousands more——”
“但你知道如果这个年轻人需要几千法郎的话——”

“Do not advance it; the father will never repay it. —
“不要提前给他,他父亲永远不会还。 —

You do not know these ultramontane millionaires; —
你不了解这些超教权的百万富翁们; —

they are regular misers. And by whom were they recommended to you?”
他们可是地道的守财奴。他们是谁推荐给你的?”

“Oh, by the house of Fenzi, one of the best in Florence.”
“哦,是芬齐家族介绍的,是佛罗伦萨最好的家族之一。”

“I do not mean to say you will lose, but, nevertheless, mind you hold to the terms of the agreement.”
“我不是说你会失败,但是无论如何,请记住遵守协议的条款。”

“Would you not trust the Cavalcanti?”
“难道你不相信Cavalcanti家族吗?”

“I? oh, I would advance ten millions on his signature. —
“我?哦,我可以凭他的签名出借一千万。” —

I was only speaking in reference to the second-rate fortunes we were mentioning just now.”
我只是在提及刚才我们谈论的二流财富时说的。

“And with all this, how unassuming he is! —
“尽管这样,他是多么谦逊啊!” —

I should never have taken him for anything more than a mere major.”
“我从来没有将他认为比一个普通上校更高的地位。”

“And you would have flattered him, for certainly, as you say, he has no manner. —
“你本来会谄媚他的,因为正如你所说,他没有任何态度。” —

The first time I saw him he appeared to me like an old lieutenant who had grown mouldy under his epaulets. —
“我第一次见他的时候,他给我感觉就像是一个在肩章下已经长满霉斑的老中尉。” —

But all the Italians are the same; they are like old Jews when they are not glittering in Oriental splendor.”
“但是所有的意大利人都是一样的;当他们不闪耀在东方的辉煌中时,他们就像是老犹太人。”

“The young man is better,” said Danglars.
“这个年轻人更好一些,”唐格拉说。

“Yes; a little nervous, perhaps, but, upon the whole, he appeared tolerable. —
“是的,可能有些紧张,但总体上他还算可以接受。 —

I was uneasy about him.”
“我对他感到不安。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because you met him at my house, just after his introduction into the world, as they told me. —
“因为你在我的家里第一次见到他,就在他刚刚进入社交界的时候,他们告诉我的。” —

He has been travelling with a very severe tutor, and had never been to Paris before.”
他一直和一个非常严厉的家庭教师一起旅行,之前从未去过巴黎。

“Ah, I believe noblemen marry amongst themselves, do they not? —
“啊,我相信贵族之间是互相联姻的,不是吗?” —

” asked Danglars carelessly; “they like to unite their fortunes.”
邓格拉漫不经心地问道,“他们喜欢联合他们的财富。”

“It is usual, certainly; but Cavalcanti is an original who does nothing like other people. —
“这通常是这样的,但卡瓦尔坎蒂是个与众不同的人,做事情一点也不像别人。” —

I cannot help thinking that he has brought his son to France to choose a wife.”
我不禁觉得他带儿子来法国是为了选个媳妇。”

“Do you think so?”
”你这么认为吗?”

“I am sure of it.”
“我肯定。”

“And you have heard his fortune mentioned?”
“你听说过他的财富吗?”

“Nothing else was talked of; only some said he was worth millions, and others that he did not possess a farthing.”
”除此之外就没听说过别的了,有些人说他身价百万,有些人说他一文不值。”

“And what is your opinion?”
“你对此有何看法?”

“I ought not to influence you, because it is only my own personal impression.”
“我不应该对你有影响,因为这只是我个人的印象。”

“Well, and it is that——”
”嗯,那就是……”

“My opinion is, that all these old podestàs, these ancient condottieri, —for the Cavalcanti have commanded armies and governed provinces,—my opinion, I say, is, that they have buried their millions in corners, the secret of which they have transmitted only to their eldest sons, who have done the same from generation to generation; —
“我认为,所有这些老的podestàs,这些古老的condottieri,—因为Cavalcanti家族指挥过军队并统治过省份,—我的观点是,他们把自己的数百万埋藏在角落里,秘密只传给他们的长子,后代也是如此; —

and the proof of this is seen in their yellow and dry appearance, like the florins of the republic, which, from being constantly gazed upon, have become reflected in them.”
而这一点的证据就是他们黄色干燥的外貌,就像共和国的florin,从被不断凝视中变成了他们自己。”

“Certainly,” said Danglars, “and this is further supported by the fact of their not possessing an inch of land.”
“当然,”Danglars说,“这还有一个支持的事实,就是他们没有一寸土地。”

“Very little, at least; I know of none which Cavalcanti possesses, excepting his palace in Lucca.”
“很少,或者说几乎没有;除了他在卢卡的宫殿之外,我不知道Cavalcanti家族拥有任何土地。”

“Ah, he has a palace?” said Danglars, laughing; “come, that is something.”
“啊,他有一个宫殿?”Danglars笑着说,“来,这还是不错的。”

“Yes; and more than that, he lets it to the Minister of Finance while he lives in a simple house. —
“是的;而且更甚,他把宫殿租给财政部长,自己住在一个简单的房子里。 —

Oh, as I told you before, I think the old fellow is very close.”
哦,正如我之前告诉过你的,我认为这个老家伙非常小气。”

“Come, you do not flatter him.”
“来吧,别奉承他。”

“I scarcely know him; I think I have seen him three times in my life; —
“我几乎不认识他;我一生中只见过他三次; —

all I know relating to him is through Busoni and himself. —
我对他的了解都是通过布苏尼和他自己得知的。 —

He was telling me this morning that, tired of letting his property lie dormant in Italy, which is a dead nation, he wished to find a method, either in France or England, of multiplying his millions, but remember, that though I place great confidence in Busoni, I am not responsible for this.”
“今天早上他告诉我,他厌倦了将他的财产闲置在死气沉沉的意大利,他希望在法国或英国找到一种方法来翻倍他的百万,但请记住,尽管我对布苏尼非常有信心,但我对此事并不负责。”

“Never mind; accept my thanks for the client you have sent me. —
“没关系;感谢您给我介绍的这位客户。 —

It is a fine name to inscribe on my ledgers, and my cashier was quite proud of it when I explained to him who the Cavalcanti were. —
“这是我账本上的一个很好的名字,当我解释给出纳员的时候,他非常自豪地说。” —

By the way, this is merely a simple question, when this sort of people marry their sons, do they give them any fortune?”
“顺便问一下,这种人结婚时会给他们的儿子一些财产吗?”

“Oh, that depends upon circumstances. I know an Italian prince, rich as a gold mine, one of the noblest families in Tuscany, who, when his sons married according to his wish, gave them millions; —
”哦,这得看情况。我认识一位意大利王子,他家有金矿那么富有,来自托斯卡纳地区最高贵的家族之一,当他的儿子按照他的意愿结婚时,他给了他们几百万; —

and when they married against his consent, merely allowed them thirty crowns a month. —
当他们违背他的意愿结婚时,他仅仅每月给予他们30枚金币。 —

Should Andrea marry according to his father’s views, he will, perhaps, give him one, two, or three millions. —
如果安德烈按照他父亲的意愿结婚,也许他会给他一、两、或三百万。 —

For example, supposing it were the daughter of a banker, he might take an interest in the house of the father-in-law of his son; —
举个例子,假设是一位银行家的女儿,他可能会对他儿媳的岳父家的生意感兴趣; —

then again, if he disliked his choice, the major takes the key, double-locks his coffer, and Master Andrea would be obliged to live like the sons of a Parisian family, by shuffling cards or rattling the dice.”
再例如,如果他不喜欢他的选择,上校会拿着钥匙,将他的金库锁上,安德烈会不得不像巴黎家族的儿子们一样以赌博来生活。”

“Ah, that boy will find out some Bavarian or Peruvian princess; —
“啊,那个孩子会找到某个巴伐利亚或秘鲁的公主; —

he will want a crown, an El Dorado, and Potosí.”
他会想要一顶王冠,一片黄金之地和波托西。”

“No; these grand lords on the other side of the Alps frequently marry into plain families; —
“不;这些阿尔卑斯山彼岸的大亨经常和普通家庭结婚; —

like Jupiter, they like to cross the race. —
像木星一样,他们喜欢跨越比赛。 —

But do you wish to marry Andrea, my dear M. Danglars, that you are asking so many questions?”
但是,亲爱的M. Danglars,你是想嫁给安德烈吗?为什么问这么多问题?

Ma foi,” said Danglars, “it would not be a bad speculation, I fancy, and you know I am a speculator.”
”,Danglars说,“我想这不错,你知道我是个投机者。”

“You are not thinking of Mademoiselle Danglars, I hope; —
“你不是在想着Danglars小姐吧?希望你不会希望阿尔伯特割了安德烈的喉咙吧?” —

you would not like poor Andrea to have his throat cut by Albert?”
“阿尔伯特,”Danglars重复着,耸耸肩,“啊,好吧;我想他对此不会在乎。”

“Albert,” repeated Danglars, shrugging his shoulders; “ah, well; —
“但是他与你的女儿订婚了,我相信?” —

he would care very little about it, I think.”
“好吧,莫尔塞夫先生和我谈过这门婚姻,但是莫尔塞夫夫人和阿尔伯特——”

“But he is betrothed to your daughter, I believe?”
“你是说这不是个好的配对吗?”

“Well, M. de Morcerf and I have talked about this marriage, but Madame de Morcerf and Albert——”
“确实,我想Danglars小姐和莫尔塞夫先生一样好。”

“You do not mean to say that it would not be a good match?”
“Danglars小姐的财富肯定很丰厚,尤其是如果电报再没有错误的话。”

“Indeed, I imagine that Mademoiselle Danglars is as good as M. de Morcerf.”
“哦,我不仅指她的财富;告诉我——”

“Mademoiselle Danglars’ fortune will be great, no doubt, especially if the telegraph should not make any more mistakes.”
“什么?”

“Oh, I do not mean her fortune only; but tell me——”
“怎么了?”

“What?”
“什么问题?”

“Why did you not invite M. and Madame de Morcerf to your dinner?”
“你为什么没有邀请莫尔塞夫夫人和莫尔塞夫先生参加你的晚宴?”

“I did so, but he excused himself on account of Madame de Morcerf being obliged to go to Dieppe for the benefit of sea air.”
“我邀请了,但他们因为莫尔塞夫夫人需要去迪耐普呼吸海风,所以推辞了。”

“Yes, yes,” said Danglars, laughing, “it would do her a great deal of good.”
“是的,是的,”当格拉尔笑着说,“那对她会有很多好处。”

“Why so?”
“为什么?”

“Because it is the air she always breathed in her youth.”
“因为那是她年轻时一直呼吸的空气。”

Monte Cristo took no notice of this ill-natured remark.
蒙德克里斯托对这个刻薄的言论没有理会。

“But still, if Albert be not so rich as Mademoiselle Danglars, ” said the count, “you must allow that he has a fine name?”
“但是,如果阿尔贝不如当格拉尔小姐富有,”伯爵说,“你必须承认他有一个好听的名字。”

“So he has; but I like mine as well.”
“他的确有;但我也喜欢我的名字。”

“Certainly; your name is popular, and does honor to the title they have adorned it with; —
“当然;你的名字很受欢迎,并且也为他们所荣耀; —

but you are too intelligent not to know that according to a prejudice, too firmly rooted to be exterminated, a nobility which dates back five centuries is worth more than one that can only reckon twenty years.”
但你太聪明了,知道一个有着五百年历史的贵族地位,根深蒂固,无法根除的偏见有价值,比起只能算二十年的贵族地位来说。”

“And for this very reason,” said Danglars with a smile, which he tried to make sardonic, “I prefer M. Andrea Cavalcanti to M. Albert de Morcerf.”
“正因为这个原因,”当当拉笑着说道,他试图给自己的笑容增添点讽刺味道,“我更喜欢安德烈·卡瓦尔坦蒂先生,而不是阿尔贝·德·莫尔塞夫先生。”

“Still, I should not think the Morcerfs would yield to the Cavalcanti?”
“不过,莫尔塞夫家族不会屈服于卡瓦尔坦蒂吧?”

“The Morcerfs!—Stay, my dear count,” said Danglars; —
“莫尔塞夫家族!——等一下,亲爱的伯爵,”当当拉说道; —

“you are a man of the world, are you not?”
“你是个世故的人,对吧?”

“I think so.”
“我想是的。”

“And you understand heraldry?”
“你懂纹章学吗?”

“A little.”
“懂一点。”

“Well, look at my coat-of-arms, it is worth more than Morcerf’s.”
“那好,看看我的家族纹章,比莫尔塞夫的值钱。”

“Why so?”
“为什么呢?”

“Because, though I am not a baron by birth, my real name is, at least, Danglars.”
“因为,虽然我并非出身男爵家族,但我的真名至少是当当拉。”

“Well, what then?”
“那又怎样?”

“While his name is not Morcerf.”
“而他的名字并不是莫尔塞夫。”

“How?—not Morcerf?”
“怎么会?——不是莫尔塞夫?”

“Not the least in the world.”
“一点也不是。”

“Go on.”
“继续说下去。”

“I have been made a baron, so that I actually am one; —
“我被封为男爵,所以我实际上是一个; —

he made himself a count, so that he is not one at all.”
他自封为伯爵,所以他根本不是一个。”

“Impossible!”
“不可能!”

“Listen my dear count; M. de Morcerf has been my friend, or rather my acquaintance, during the last thirty years. —
“听着,亲爱的伯爵;莫塞夫先生是我朋友,或者说是我认识了三十年的人。 —

You know I have made the most of my arms, though I never forgot my origin.”
你知道我一直以来都充分利用我的力量,但我从未忘记我的出身。”

“A proof of great humility or great pride,” said Monte Cristo.
“这是极度谦卑还是极度骄傲的证明,”蒙特克里斯托说。

“Well, when I was a clerk, Morcerf was a mere fisherman.”
“嗯,当我还是个职员的时候,莫塞夫只是个渔夫。”

“And then he was called——”
“然后他被称为——”

“Fernand.”
“费尔南。”

“Only Fernand?”
“只叫费尔南?”

“Fernand Mondego.”
“费尔南·蒙德戈。”

“You are sure?”
“你确定?”

Pardieu! I have bought enough fish of him to know his name.”
“该死!我从他那里买过足够多的鱼,才知道他的名字。”

“Then, why did you think of giving your daughter to him?”
“那么,你为什么要把你的女儿嫁给他?”

“Because Fernand and Danglars, being both parvenus, both having become noble, both rich, are about equal in worth, excepting that there have been certain things mentioned of him that were never said of me.”
“因为费尔南和当格拉,都是暴发户,都成了贵族,都很有钱,价值差不多,除了有关他的某些事情,从来没有人对我说过。”

“What?”
“什么?”

“Oh, nothing!”
“哦,没什么!”

“Ah, yes; what you tell me recalls to mind something about the name of Fernand Mondego. —
“啊,是的;你告诉我的东西让我想起了一些关于费尔南·蒙代戈这个名字的事情。 —

I have heard that name in Greece.”
我在希腊听说过这个名字。”

“In conjunction with the affairs of Ali Pasha?”
“与阿里·帕夏的事务有关吗?”

“Exactly so.”
“完全正确。”

“This is the mystery,” said Danglars. —
“这就是个谜”,当格拉说道。 —

“I acknowledge I would have given anything to find it out.”
“我承认我曾经愿意用任何东西来找出这个谜底。”

“It would be very easy if you much wished it?”
“如果你非常希望,那么很容易办到吗?”

“How so?”
“怎么办到?”

“Probably you have some correspondent in Greece?”
“你可能有一位在希腊的通信人?”

“I should think so.”
“我想是的。”

“At Yanina?”
“在雅尼娜?”

“Everywhere.”
“到处都有。”

“Well, write to your correspondent in Yanina, and ask him what part was played by a Frenchman named Fernand Mondego in the catastrophe of Ali Tepelini.”
“好吧,给你在雅尼娜的通信人写信,问他一个名叫费尔南·蒙代戈的法国人在阿里·泰佩利尼的灾难中扮演了什么角色。”

“You are right,” exclaimed Danglars, rising quickly, “I will write today.”
“你说得对,”当格拉尔斯惊叫道,迅速站起身,“我今天就写信。”

“Do so.”
“那就这么办。”

“I will.”
“好的。”

“And if you should hear of anything very scandalous——”
“如果你听到什么非常丑闻的事——”

“I will communicate it to you.”
“我会告诉你的。”

“You will oblige me.”
“你会帮我一个忙。”

Danglars rushed out of the room, and made but one leap into his coupé.
当格拉尔斯冲出房间,一跃而上他的轿车。