It was evident that one sentiment affected all the guests on entering the dining-room. —
大家进入用餐厅后,所有人的情绪都受到了同一影响。 —

Each one asked what strange influence had brought them to this house, and yet astonished, even uneasy though they were, they still felt that they would not like to be absent. —
每个人都在问是什么奇怪的力量让他们来到这个房子,然而,尽管他们感到惊讶甚至有些不安,但他们依然觉得不愿缺席。 —

The recent events, the solitary and eccentric position of the count, his enormous, nay, almost incredible fortune, should have made men cautious, and have altogether prevented ladies visiting a house where there was no one of their own sex to receive them; —
最近发生的事件,以及伯爵孤僻古怪的地位和巨大甚至难以置信的财富,本该让人们谨慎起来,完全避免女士们拜访一个没有同性接待的地方; —

and yet curiosity had been enough to lead them to overleap the bounds of prudence and decorum.
然而,好奇心足以让他们超越谨慎和礼仪的限制。

And all present, even including Cavalcanti and his son, notwithstanding the stiffness of the one and the carelessness of the other, were thoughtful, on finding themselves assembled at the house of this incomprehensible man. —
即使包括卡瓦尔坎蒂和他的儿子在内,尽管一个人拘谨而另一个人漫不经心,所有在这个难以理解之人的房子里聚集的人,都感到思考。 —

Madame Danglars had started when Villefort, on the count’s invitation, offered his arm; —
当维勒福特在伯爵的邀请下递过手臂时,丹格拉夫人感到震惊。 —

and Villefort felt that his glance was uneasy beneath his gold spectacles, when he felt the arm of the baroness press upon his own. —
维尔福感到自己的目光在金色眼镜下显得不安,当他感到巴伦内丝的手臂压在他身上时。 —

None of this had escaped the count, and even by this mere contact of individuals the scene had already acquired considerable interest for an observer.
这一切都没有逃脱伯爵的注意,即使仅仅通过这种个体的接触,这个场景对观察者来说已经具有了相当大的吸引力。

M. de Villefort had on the right hand Madame Danglars, on his left Morrel. —
维尔福先生右手边是唐格拉夫人,左手边是莫雷尔。 —

The count was seated between Madame de Villefort and Danglars; —
伯爵坐在维尔福夫人和唐格拉先生之间; —

the other seats were filled by Debray, who was placed between the two Cavalcanti, and by Château-Renaud, seated between Madame de Villefort and Morrel.
其他座位上坐着德勃雷,他被安置在两个卡瓦尔坎蒂之间,还有夏多雷诺,坐在维尔福夫人和莫雷尔之间。

The repast was magnificent; Monte Cristo had endeavored completely to overturn the Parisian ideas, and to feed the curiosity as much as the appetite of his guests. —
这顿饭非常豪华;蒙特克里斯托想要彻底颠覆巴黎人的观念,满足客人们的好奇心和食欲。 —

It was an Oriental feast that he offered to them, but of such a kind as the Arabian fairies might be supposed to prepare. —
这是一个他向他们提供的东方盛宴,类似于阿拉伯仙女可能会准备的那种盛宴。 —

Every delicious fruit that the four quarters of the globe could provide was heaped in vases from China and jars from Japan. Rare birds, retaining their most brilliant plumage, enormous fish, spread upon massive silver dishes, together with every wine produced in the Archipelago, Asia Minor, or the Cape, sparkling in bottles, whose grotesque shape seemed to give an additional flavor to the draught, —all these, like one of the displays with which Apicius of old gratified his guests, passed in review before the eyes of the astonished Parisians, who understood that it was possible to expend a thousand louis upon a dinner for ten persons, but only on the condition of eating pearls, like Cleopatra, or drinking refined gold, like Lorenzo de’ Medici.
天涯海角提供的各种美味水果都堆在了中国的花瓶和日本的罐子里。色彩鲜艳的珍禽异鸟,散布在大而厚重的银盘上的巨大鱼类,以及产自群岛、亚洲小亚细亚或岬角的每一种葡萄酒,都装在独特形状的瓶子里,这种瓶子的奇形怪状似乎能为饮品增添风味,所有这些食物和饮品,如同古代的亚皮修斯招待宾客时所展示的一样,使惊讶不已的巴黎人目瞪口呆,他们明白,只有条件是像克利奥帕特拉一样吃珍珠,或者像洛伦佐·德·美第奇一样喝精制金子,才有可能在一顿对十个人的晚宴上花费一千路易。

Monte Cristo noticed the general astonishment, and began laughing and joking about it.
蒙特克里斯托注意到了普遍的惊讶,开始开玩笑并嘲笑这件事。

“Gentlemen,” he said, “you will admit that, when arrived at a certain degree of fortune, the superfluities of life are all that can be desired; —
“先生们,”他说,“你们会承认,当财富达到一定程度时,生活的多余品是我们所渴望的; —

and the ladies will allow that, after having risen to a certain eminence of position, the ideal alone can be more exalted. —
女士们会同意,在获得一定地位的基础上,只有理想才能更加崇高。 —

Now, to follow out this reasoning, what is the marvellous?—that which we do not understand. —
现在,继续这种推理,什么是奇妙的?-那些我们无法理解的东西。 —

What is it that we really desire?—that which we cannot obtain. —
我们真正渴望的是什么?-那些我们无法获得的东西。 —

Now, to see things which I cannot understand, to procure impossibilities, these are the study of my life. —
现在,看到我无法理解的事物,获得不可能的东西,这是我一生的研究。 —

I gratify my wishes by two means—my will and my money. —
我通过意志和金钱来满足我的愿望。 —

I take as much interest in the pursuit of some whim as you do, M. Danglars, in promoting a new railway line; —
我对一些奇想的追求同样感兴趣,就像你们对推广新的铁路线的关注一样,那个唐格拉先生。 —

you, M. de Villefort, in condemning a culprit to death; you, M. Debray, in pacifying a kingdom; —
你,维尔福先生,对于判决一个罪犯死刑; 你,德布雷先生,对于平息一个王国; 我通过两种方式满足我的愿望。 —

you, M. de Château-Renaud, in pleasing a woman; —
你,夏多尼·勒诺伊先生,在讨女人欢心上的技巧; —

and you, Morrel, in breaking a horse that no one can ride. For example, you see these two fish; —
你,莫雷尔先生,在驯服一匹无人能骑的马上的技巧。例如,看看这两条鱼; —

one brought from fifty leagues beyond St. Petersburg, the other five leagues from Naples. —
一条是从圣彼得堡五十海里外带来的,另一条是距那不勒斯五海里的地方。 —

Is it not amusing to see them both on the same table?”
看到它们同时放在一张桌子上,是不是很有趣?

“What are the two fish?” asked Danglars.
“这两条鱼是什么?”邓格拉问道。

“M. Château-Renaud, who has lived in Russia, will tell you the name of one, and Major Cavalcanti, who is an Italian, will tell you the name of the other.”
“住在俄罗斯的夏多尼·勒诺伊先生会告诉你其中一条的名字,而作为一名意大利人的卡瓦尔坎蒂少校会告诉你另一条的名字。”

“This one is, I think, a sterlet,” said Château-Renaud.
“我想这一条是鲟鱼,”夏多尼·勒诺伊说道。

“And that one, if I mistake not, a lamprey.”
“而那一条,如果我没有搞错,应该是鳗鱼。”

“Just so. Now, M. Danglars, ask these gentlemen where they are caught.”
“对对对。现在,邓格拉先生,请问这些先生们这两种鱼是在哪里捕获的。”

“Sterlets,” said Château-Renaud, “are only found in the Volga.”
“鲟鱼只存在于伏尔加河中。”夏多尼·勒诺伊说道。

“And,” said Cavalcanti, “I know that Lake Fusaro alone supplies lampreys of that size.”
“而,”卡瓦尔坎蒂说道,“我知道只有富萨罗湖供应那种大小的鳗鱼。”

“Exactly; one comes from the Volga, and the other from Lake Fusaro.”
“完全正确。一条来自伏尔加河,另一条来自富萨罗湖。”

“Impossible!” cried all the guests simultaneously.
“不可能!”客人们异口同声地喊道。

“Well, this is just what amuses me,” said Monte Cristo. —
“嗯,这就是我感到有趣的地方,”蒙蒂·克里斯托说道。 —

“I am like Nero—cupitor impossibilium; and that is what is amusing you at this moment. —
“我就像尼禄一样-对不可能的事物渴望;这就是你此刻感到有趣的东西。” —

This fish, which seems so exquisite to you, is very likely no better than perch or salmon; —
这种你们认为很美味的鱼很有可能不比鲈鱼或者鲑鱼好; —

but it seemed impossible to procure it, and here it is.”
但是它似乎很难弄到,而现在它就在这里。”

“But how could you have these fish brought to France?”
“但是你是如何把这些鱼弄到法国的呢?”

“Oh, nothing more easy. Each fish was brought over in a cask—one filled with river herbs and weeds, the other with rushes and lake plants; —
“哦,这是很容易的事。每条鱼都被装在一个木桶里——一个装满河里的草和杂草,另一个装满芦苇和湖边的植物; —

they were placed in a wagon built on purpose, and thus the sterlet lived twelve days, the lamprey eight, and both were alive when my cook seized them, killing one with milk and the other with wine. —
它们被放在了一个专门建造的马车里,因此斯特莱鱼存活了十二天,梭鱼存活了八天,而当我的厨师抓住它们并杀死其中一条用的是牛奶,另一条用的是红酒时,它们还活着。” —

You do not believe me, M. Danglars!”
“你不相信我,唐格拉先生!”

“I cannot help doubting,” answered Danglars with his stupid smile.
“我禁不住怀疑,”唐格拉用他那愚蠢的笑容回答道。

“Baptistin,” said the count, “have the other fish brought in—the sterlet and the lamprey which came in the other casks, and which are yet alive.”
“巴蒂斯坦,”蒙蒂·克里斯托说道,“把另外两条鱼带进来——斯特莱鱼和梭鱼,它们是装在其他木桶里的,而且它们还活着。”

Danglars opened his bewildered eyes; the company clapped their hands. —
邓格拉尔惊讶地睁开了他的眼睛;公司的人们鼓掌。 —

Four servants carried in two casks covered with aquatic plants, and in each of which was breathing a fish similar to those on the table.
四个仆人抬进了两个盛满水生植物的桶,每个桶里都有一条与桌上那些相似的鱼在呼吸。

“But why have two of each sort?” asked Danglars.
“但为什么要有两种每种呢?”邓格拉尔问道。

“Merely because one might have died,” carelessly answered Monte Cristo.
“仅仅是因为其中一条可能已经死了”,蒙泰克里斯托漫不经心地回答道。

“You are certainly an extraordinary man,” said Danglars; —
“你肯定是个非凡的人,”邓格拉尔说。 —

“and philosophers may well say it is a fine thing to be rich.”
“哲学家们可能说,富有是一件好事。”

“And to have ideas,” added Madame Danglars.
“还有有点见识,”邓格拉尔夫人补充道。

“Oh, do not give me credit for this, madame; —
“哦,请不要因此称赞我,女士; —

it was done by the Romans, who much esteemed them, and Pliny relates that they sent slaves from Ostia to Rome, who carried on their heads fish which he calls the mulus, and which, from the description, must probably be the goldfish. —
这是古罗马人做的,他们非常看重这些鱼,普林尼描述过,他们从奥斯提亚派遣奴隶前往罗马,他们头上扛着被他称为mulus的鱼,从描述来看,很可能是金鱼。 —

It was also considered a luxury to have them alive, it being an amusing sight to see them die, for, when dying, they change color three or four times, and like the rainbow when it disappears, pass through all the prismatic shades, after which they were sent to the kitchen. —
拥有它们活着也被认为是一种奢侈,因为看到它们死亡是一种有趣的景象。因为在死亡时,它们会变换颜色三四次,就像彩虹消失时会经历所有的光谱颜色,然后它们会被送到厨房。 —

Their agony formed part of their merit—if they were not seen alive, they were despised when dead.”
它们的痛苦是它们价值的一部分 - 如果它们不在活着时就被看到,那么死后它们会被轻视。

“Yes,” said Debray, “but then Ostia is only a few leagues from Rome.”
“是的,”德·布雷说。“但奥斯蒂亚离罗马只有几里路。”

“True,” said Monte Cristo; “but what would be the use of living eighteen hundred years after Lucullus, if we can do no better than he could?”
“没错,”蒙特·克里斯托说。“但是如果我们做不到比卢库卢斯更好,活在他之后一千八百年有什么用呢?”

The two Cavalcanti opened their enormous eyes, but had the good sense not to say anything.
两个卡瓦尔坎蒂睁大了眼睛,但明智地没有说什么。

“All this is very extraordinary,” said Château-Renaud; —
“这一切都非常不寻常,”夏多·雷诺说; —

“still, what I admire the most, I confess, is the marvellous promptitude with which your orders are executed. —
“然而,我最钦佩的是你命令的执行速度惊人。 —

Is it not true that you only bought this house five or six days ago?”
你只是五六天前才买下这座房子,对吗?”

“Certainly not longer.”
“当然不会更久。”

“Well, I am sure it is quite transformed since last week. —
“哦,我确信它自上周以来已经发生了很大变化。 —

If I remember rightly, it had another entrance, and the courtyard was paved and empty; —
如果我没记错的话,它以前是有另一个入口的,院子也是铺着石板而且空无一人; —

while today we have a splendid lawn, bordered by trees which appear to be a hundred years old.”
而今天我们有了一块华丽的草坪,四周种满了看起来有一百年历史的大树。”

“Why not? I am fond of grass and shade,” said Monte Cristo.
“为什么不呢?我喜欢草地和树荫,”蒙德克里斯托说道。

“Yes,” said Madame de Villefort, “the door was towards the road before, and on the day of my miraculous escape you brought me into the house from the road, I remember.”
“是的,”维尔福夫人说,“门原来朝着路口,就在那天我奇迹般逃脱的时候,你从路上带我进了房子,我记得。”

“Yes, madame,” said Monte Cristo; “but I preferred having an entrance which would allow me to see the Bois de Boulogne over my gate.”
“是的,夫人,”蒙德克里斯托回答道,“但我更喜欢有一个入口,让我可以透过大门看到布洛涅森林。”

“In four days,” said Morrel; “it is extraordinary!”
“只用了四天,”莫雷尔说道,“真是不可思议!”

“Indeed,” said Château-Renaud, “it seems quite miraculous to make a new house out of an old one; —
“确实,”夏多雷诺说,“把一座旧房子改建成一座新房子,似乎有点奇迹; —

for it was very old, and dull too. I recollect coming for my mother to look at it when M. de Saint-Méran advertised it for sale two or three years ago.”
因为它非常旧,而且也很呆板。我记得两三年前圣梅朗先生在出售时我妈妈曾经来看过它。”

“M. de Saint-Méran?” said Madame de Villefort; —
“圣梅兰先生?”维尔福夫人问道; —

“then this house belonged to M. de Saint-Méran before you bought it?”
“那么这座房子在您购买之前,属于圣梅兰先生吗?”

“It appears so,” replied Monte Cristo.
“看起来是这样的,”蒙特克里斯托回答道。

“Is it possible that you do not know of whom you purchased it?”
“您竟然不知道您购买的是谁的房子吗?”

“Quite so; my steward transacts all this business for me.”
“是的,我的管家为我处理所有这些事务。”

“It is certainly ten years since the house had been occupied,” said Château-Renaud, “and it was quite melancholy to look at it, with the blinds closed, the doors locked, and the weeds in the court. —
“这座房子已经空置了十年了,”夏多雷诺说,“看起来真令人沮丧,百叶窗关着,门锁着,庭院里还长满了杂草。 —

Really, if the house had not belonged to the father-in-law of the procureur, one might have thought it some accursed place where a horrible crime had been committed.”
如果这座房子不是检察官的岳父的话,人们可能会认为这是发生了可怕罪行的地方。”

Villefort, who had hitherto not tasted the three or four glasses of rare wine which were placed before him, here took one, and drank it off. —
维尔福此前一直没有品尝放在他面前的三四杯罕见葡萄酒,此时喝了一杯。 —

Monte Cristo allowed a short time to elapse, and then said:
蒙特克里斯托等了一小段时间,然后说:

“It is singular, baron, but the same idea came across me the first time I came here; —
“巴伦,这很奇怪,但是我第一次来这里也有同样的想法; —

it looked so gloomy I should never have bought it if my steward had not taken the matter into his own hands. —
它看起来很阴沉,如果不是我的管家干预,我本不会买这个。 —

Perhaps the fellow had been bribed by the notary.”
也许那个家伙被公证人贿赂了。

“It is probable,” stammered out Villefort, trying to smile; —
“很可能。”维尔福结结巴巴地说着,试图微笑。 —

“but I can assure you that I had nothing to do with any such proceeding. —
“但我可以向你保证,我与这件事毫无关系。 —

This house is part of Valentine’s marriage-portion, and M. de Saint-Méran wished to sell it; —
这所房子是瓦伦泰妮的婚礼财产的一部分,而圣梅兰先生希望将其出售; —

for if it had remained another year or two uninhabited it would have fallen to ruin.”
因为如果再过一两年没有人居住,它就会倒塌。

It was Morrel’s turn to become pale.
莫雷尔的脸也变得苍白了。

“There was, above all, one room,” continued Monte Cristo, “very plain in appearance, hung with red damask, which, I know not why, appeared to me quite dramatic.”
“特别是有一个房间”,蒙蒂克里斯托继续说道,“外观非常简单,挂着红色锦缎,不知为何,它给我一种很戏剧化的感觉。”

“Why so?” said Danglars; “why dramatic?”
“为什么?”唐格拉斯问道,“为什么戏剧化?”

“Can we account for instinct?” said Monte Cristo. —
“我们能解释本能吗?”蒙蒂克里斯托说。 —

“Are there not some places where we seem to breathe sadness?—why, we cannot tell. —
“难道不是有些地方我们似乎在呼吸悲伤吗?为什么,我们说不清楚。” —

It is a chain of recollections—an idea which carries you back to other times, to other places—which, very likely, have no connection with the present time and place. —
这是一连串的回忆,一种将你带回到其他时代、其他地方的想法,这些可能与现在的时间和地点没有任何联系。 —

And there is something in this room which reminds me forcibly of the chamber of the Marquise de Ganges10 or Desdemona. —
而这个房间里有着什么东西让我强烈地想起了Marquise de Ganges或Desdemona的房间。 —

Stay, since we have finished dinner, I will show it to you, and then we will take coffee in the garden. —
等一下,既然我们已经吃过晚餐,我会把它给你看,然后我们去花园喝咖啡。 —

After dinner, the play.”
晚饭后,就是演出。

Monte Cristo looked inquiringly at his guests. —
蒙特·克里斯托疑惑地看着他的客人们。 —

Madame de Villefort rose, Monte Cristo did the same, and the rest followed their example. —
维尔福夫人站起来,蒙特·克里斯托也站起来,其他人也效仿他们。 —

Villefort and Madame Danglars remained for a moment, as if rooted to their seats; —
维尔福夫人和唐格拉夫人呆呆地坐着,仿佛被定在了座位上; —

they questioned each other with vague and stupid glances.
他们用模糊而愚蠢的目光互相询问。

“Did you hear?” said Madame Danglars.
“你听到了吗?”唐格拉夫人说。

“We must go,” replied Villefort, offering his arm.
“我们必须走了。”维尔福夫人回答,递出他的胳膊。

The others, attracted by curiosity, were already scattered in different parts of the house; —
其他人被好奇心所吸引,已经散布在房子的不同地方。 —

for they thought the visit would not be limited to the one room, and that, at the same time, they would obtain a view of the rest of the building, of which Monte Cristo had created a palace. —
因为他们认为这次访问不会限于一个房间,并且他们同时会看到蒙特克里斯托所打造的宫殿的其他部分。 —

Each one went out by the open doors. Monte Cristo waited for the two who remained; —
每个人都从敞开的门走出去。蒙特克里斯托等待着剩下的两个人; —

then, when they had passed, he brought up the rear, and on his face was a smile, which, if they could have understood it, would have alarmed them much more than a visit to the room they were about to enter. —
然后,当他们经过之后,他走在最后,脸上挂着一丝微笑,如果他们能够理解的话,这个微笑会比他们即将进入的房间更让他们警惕。 —

They began by walking through the apartments, many of which were fitted up in the Eastern style, with cushions and divans instead of beds, and pipes instead of furniture. —
他们开始穿过房间,其中许多都是按照东方风格布置的,用垫子和躺椅代替床铺,用烟斗代替家具。 —

The drawing-rooms were decorated with the rarest pictures by the old masters, the boudoirs hung with draperies from China, of fanciful colors, fantastic design, and wonderful texture. —
客厅里挂满了古老大师的稀世绘画作品,卧室则用中国的华丽色彩、奇特设计和奇妙纹理的窗帘装饰。 —

At length they arrived at the famous room. —
最终他们来到了著名的房间。 —

There was nothing particular about it, excepting that, although daylight had disappeared, it was not lighted, and everything in it was old-fashioned, while the rest of the rooms had been redecorated. —
除了它没有灯光,里面的一切都是老式的,其他房间都重新装修了,没有其他特别的地方。 —

These two causes were enough to give it a gloomy aspect.
这两个原因足以给它带来阴郁的气息。

“Oh.” cried Madame de Villefort, “it is really frightful.”
“哦。”维尔福夫人喊道,“真是可怕。”

Madame Danglars tried to utter a few words, but was not heard. —
但是听不见。 —

Many observations were made, the import of which was a unanimous opinion that there was something sinister about the room.
许多观察被做出来,它们的意义是一个一致的看法,即这个房间有些不祥之处。

“Is it not so?” asked Monte Cristo. “Look at that large clumsy bed, hung with such gloomy, blood-colored drapery! —
“是这样吗?”蒙特·克里斯托问道。“看看那张大而笨重的床,挂着阴郁的、血红色的窗帘! —

And those two crayon portraits, that have faded from the dampness; —
还有那两副粉笔画,已经因为潮湿而褪色; —

do they not seem to say, with their pale lips and staring eyes, ‘We have seen’?”
它们的苍白嘴唇和骇人眼神似乎在说,‘我们曾经看见过’?”

Villefort became livid; Madame Danglars fell into a long seat placed near the chimney.
维尔福变得苍白;丹格拉夫人倒在靠近壁炉的长凳上。

“Oh,” said Madame de Villefort, smiling, “are you courageous enough to sit down upon the very seat perhaps upon which the crime was committed?”
“哦,”维尔福夫人微笑着说,“你勇敢到足以坐在也许是犯罪现场的那个座位上吗?”

Madame Danglars rose suddenly.
邓格拉夫人突然站了起来。

“And then,” said Monte Cristo, “this is not all.”
蒙特克里斯托说:“而且,这还不是全部。”

“What is there more?” said Debray, who had not failed to notice the agitation of Madame Danglars.
“还有什么?”德布雷问道,他没有忽视邓格拉夫人的激动。

“Ah, what else is there?” said Danglars; —
“啊,还有什么?”邓格拉夫人说道; —

“for, at present, I cannot say that I have seen anything extraordinary. —
“因为,目前为止,我不能说我看到了什么特别的。 —

What do you say, M. Cavalcanti?”
你说呢,卡瓦尔坎蒂先生?”

“Ah,” said he, “we have at Pisa, Ugolino’s tower; —
“啊,”他说,“我们在比萨有乌戈利诺的塔; —

at Ferrara, Tasso’s prison; at Rimini, the room of Francesca and Paolo.”
在费拉拉有塔索的监狱;在里米尼有弗朗西斯卡和保罗的房间。”

“Yes, but you have not this little staircase,” said Monte Cristo, opening a door concealed by the drapery. —
蒙特克里斯托说:“是的,但你没有这个小楼梯。”他拉开了被窗帘遮掩着的门。 —

“Look at it, and tell me what you think of it.”
“看看它,告诉我你觉得怎么样。”

“What a wicked-looking, crooked staircase,” said Château-Renaud with a smile.
“多么邪恶而弯曲的楼梯啊,”夏多雷诺笑着说。

“I do not know whether the wine of Chios produces melancholy, but certainly everything appears to me black in this house,” said Debray.
“我不知道希俄斯葡萄酒是否会让人感到忧郁,但在这间屋子里,一切都给我显得黑暗无光,”德布雷说。

Ever since Valentine’s dowry had been mentioned, Morrel had been silent and sad.
自从提到瓦伦丁的嫁妆以来,莫雷尔就变得沉默和悲伤。

“Can you imagine,” said Monte Cristo, “some Othello or Abbé de Ganges, one stormy, dark night, descending these stairs step by step, carrying a load, which he wishes to hide from the sight of man, if not from God?”
“你能想象吗,”蒙德克里斯托说,“一个暴风雨黑夜,奥塞罗或圣若望修士一步一步走下这些楼梯,背着一件他想要从人们的视线中隐藏的东西,即便不能从上帝的眼中隐藏。”

Madame Danglars half fainted on the arm of Villefort, who was obliged to support himself against the wall.
丹格拉夫人几乎晕倒在维尔福先生的臂膀上,他不得不靠在墙上支撑自己。

“Ah, madame,” cried Debray, “what is the matter with you? how pale you look!”
“啊,夫人,”德布雷叫道,“你怎么了?你的脸色怎么这么苍白!”

“It is very evident what is the matter with her,” said Madame de Villefort; —
“很明显她怎么了,”维尔福夫人说。 —

“M. de Monte Cristo is relating horrible stories to us, doubtless intending to frighten us to death.”
“蒙德克里斯托先生正在给我们讲些可怕的故事,无疑是想吓死我们。”

“Yes,” said Villefort, “really, count, you frighten the ladies.”
“是的,”维尔福说,“真的,伯爵,你吓到了女士们。”

“What is the matter?” asked Debray, in a whisper, of Madame Danglars.
“怎么了?”德布雷小声问丹格拉夫人。

“Nothing,” she replied with a violent effort. “I want air, that is all.”
“没什么,”她勉强回答道。“我只是想要新鲜空气,仅此而已。”

“Will you come into the garden?” said Debray, advancing towards the back staircase.
“你愿意到花园里去吗?”德布雷向后楼梯走去说道。

“No, no,” she answered, “I would rather remain here.”
“不,不,”她回答说,“我宁愿留在这里。”

“Are you really frightened, madame?” said Monte Cristo.
“夫人,您真的害怕吗?”蒙特克里斯托问道。

“Oh, no, sir,” said Madame Danglars; “but you suppose scenes in a manner which gives them the appearance of reality.”
“哦,不,先生,”邓格拉夫人说,“您总是以一种让场景看起来很真实的方式设想。”

“Ah, yes,” said Monte Cristo smiling; “it is all a matter of imagination. —
“啊,是的,”蒙特克里斯托微笑着说道,“这完全是想象的问题。” —

Why should we not imagine this the apartment of an honest mother? —
为什么我们不能把这里想象成一个诚实的母亲的房间呢? —

And this bed with red hangings, a bed visited by the goddess Lucina? —
这张带有红色挂布的床,被赐予了女神卢西娜的光临? —

And that mysterious staircase, the passage through which, not to disturb their sleep, the doctor and nurse pass, or even the father carrying the sleeping child?”
那个神秘的楼梯,通过这条走廊,医生和护士可以出入而不打扰他们的睡眠,甚至是父亲携带着熟睡的孩子。”

Here Madame Danglars, instead of being calmed by the soft picture, uttered a groan and fainted.
在这里,邓格拉夫人并没有被这温馨的画面安抚住,她发出一声呻吟,晕倒了。

“Madame Danglars is ill,” said Villefort; “it would be better to take her to her carriage.”
“邓格拉夫人不舒服,”维尔福说道,“最好把她送到马车上去。”

“Oh, mon Dieu!” said Monte Cristo, “and I have forgotten my smelling-bottle!”
“哦, 我的天啊!”蒙特克里斯托说道,“我忘了带我的香水瓶了!”

“I have mine,” said Madame de Villefort; —
“我有我的,”维勒福夫人说道; —

and she passed over to Monte Cristo a bottle full of the same kind of red liquid whose good properties the count had tested on Edward.
她递给蒙特克里斯托一瓶装满了和那种红液体的瓶子,是那种蒙特克里斯托用来测试爱德华的良好特性的红液体。

“Ah,” said Monte Cristo, taking it from her hand.
“啊,”蒙特克里斯托从她手中接过瓶子。

“Yes,” she said, “at your advice I have made the trial.”
“是的,”她说道,“在你的建议下我进行了尝试。”

“And have you succeeded?”
“你成功了吗?”

“I think so.”
“我想是的。”

Madame Danglars was carried into the adjoining room; —
达嘉二夫人被抬进了旁边的房间; —

Monte Cristo dropped a very small portion of the red liquid upon her lips; —
蒙特克里斯托往她的嘴唇上滴了一点红液体; —

she returned to consciousness.
她恢复了意识。

“Ah,” she cried, “what a frightful dream!”
“啊,”她喊道,“好可怕的梦!”

Villefort pressed her hand to let her know it was not a dream. —
维勒福夫人握住她的手示意她这不是一个梦。 —

They looked for M. Danglars, but, as he was not especially interested in poetical ideas, he had gone into the garden, and was talking with Major Cavalcanti on the projected railway from Leghorn to Florence. —
他们寻找当而,因为当而对诗意的主意并不感兴趣,他已经去了花园,正在和卡瓦尔坎蒂少校谈论从里窿到佛罗伦萨的铁路计划。 —

Monte Cristo seemed in despair. He took the arm of Madame Danglars, and conducted her into the garden, where they found Danglars taking coffee between the Cavalcanti.
蒙蒂克里斯多看起来绝望不已。他拉着当格拉夫人的手臂,带她走进花园,在那里他们发现当格拉尔正在和卡瓦尔坦蒂之间喝咖啡。

“Really, madame,” he said, “did I alarm you much?”
“真的,夫人,”他说,“我吓到您了吗?”

“Oh, no, sir,” she answered; “but you know, things impress us differently, according to the mood of our minds. —
“哦,不,先生,”她回答道,“但您要知道,事情对我们的印象会因我们的心情而异。” —

” Villefort forced a laugh.
维勒福特勉强笑了笑。

“And then, you know,” he said, “an idea, a supposition, is sufficient.”
“而且,您知道的,”他说,“一个想法,一个假设,就足够了。”

“Well,” said Monte Cristo, “you may believe me if you like, but it is my opinion that a crime has been committed in this house.”
“嗯,”蒙蒂克里斯多说,“你可以相信我,但我认为在这个房子里发生了一起犯罪。”

“Take care,” said Madame de Villefort, “the king’s attorney is here.”
“小心,”当维勒福特夫人说道,“国王的检察官在这里。”

“Ah,” replied Monte Cristo, “since that is the case, I will take advantage of his presence to make my declaration.”
“啊,”蒙蒂克里斯多回答道,“既然如此,我会利用他在场的机会发表我的声明。”

“Your declaration?” said Villefort.
“你的声明?”维勒福特说。

“Yes, before witnesses.”
“是的,有证人在场。”

“Oh, this is very interesting,” said Debray; —
“哦,这很有趣。”德布雷说道; —

“if there really has been a crime, we will investigate it.”
“如果真的发生了一起犯罪,我们会调查的。”

“There has been a crime,” said Monte Cristo. “Come this way, gentlemen; —
“发生了一起犯罪,”蒙特克里斯托说道。“请跟我来,先生们; —

come, M. Villefort, for a declaration to be available, should be made before the competent authorities.”
来吧,维尔福先生,要使一项声明可行,必须在有权机构面前做出。”

He then took Villefort’s arm, and, at the same time, holding that of Madame Danglars under his own, he dragged the procureur to the plantain-tree, where the shade was thickest. —
他随后拉起维尔福的胳膊,同时将达尔古夫人的胳膊也牵在自己的手臂下,将检察官拖向那棵香蕉树,那里的阴凉最浓。 —

All the other guests followed.
其他客人纷纷跟随其后。

“Stay,” said Monte Cristo, “here, in this very spot” (and he stamped upon the ground), “I had the earth dug up and fresh mould put in, to refresh these old trees; —
“等一下,”蒙特克里斯托说,“就在这里,这个地方”(他踩了一下地面),“我曾经挖过土,并加了新土,来养护这些古老的树木; —

well, my man, digging, found a box, or rather, the iron-work of a box, in the midst of which was the skeleton of a newly born infant.”
嗯,我的工人在挖掘时发现了一个盒子,或者说是盒子的铁框架,在其中有一个新生婴儿的骨骼。”

Monte Cristo felt the arm of Madame Danglars stiffen, while that of Villefort trembled.
蒙特克里斯托感到达尔古夫人的胳膊一僵,而维尔福的胳膊则颤抖起来。

“A newly born infant,” repeated Debray; “this affair becomes serious!”
“一个新生婴儿,”德布雷重复道,“这件事情变得严重起来了!”

“Well,” said Château-Renaud, “I was not wrong just now then, when I said that houses had souls and faces like men, and that their exteriors carried the impress of their characters. —
“嗯,”夏多莱纳说,“刚才我说房子有灵魂和面容像人一样,他们的外表能体现他们的性格,我并没有错。 —

This house was gloomy because it was remorseful: —
这座房子很阴暗,因为它感到了后悔: —

it was remorseful because it concealed a crime.”
它感到后悔是因为它隐藏了一桩罪行。”

“Who said it was a crime?” asked Villefort, with a last effort.
“谁说这是一桩罪行?”维尔福特最后一次努力地问道。

“How? is it not a crime to bury a living child in a garden? —
“怎么?在花园里埋葬一个活孩子难道不是犯罪吗? —

” cried Monte Cristo. “And pray what do you call such an action?”
”蒙德克里斯托大声说道。“请问你怎么称呼这种行为?”

“But who said it was buried alive?”
“但是谁说它被活埋了?”

“Why bury it there if it were dead? This garden has never been a cemetery.”
“如果它死了,为什么要埋在那里?这个花园从来不是墓地。”

“What is done to infanticides in this country?” asked Major Cavalcanti innocently.
“在这个国家对待杀婴犯的方式是什么?”卡瓦尔坎蒂少校天真地问道。

“Oh, their heads are soon cut off,” said Danglars.
“哦,他们很快就会被砍头,”当格拉尔说道。

“Ah, indeed?” said Cavalcanti.
“啊,真的吗?”卡瓦尔坎蒂说道。

“I think so; am I not right, M. de Villefort?” asked Monte Cristo.
“我想是的,我说得对吗,维尔福特先生?”蒙德克里斯托问道。

“Yes, count,” replied Villefort, in a voice now scarcely human.
“是的,伯爵,”维尔福特几乎人不人的声音回答道。

Monte Cristo, seeing that the two persons for whom he had prepared this scene could scarcely endure it, and not wishing to carry it too far, said:
蒙特·克里斯托看到他为这场景准备的两个人几乎无法忍受,他不想过火,所以说道:

“Come, gentlemen,—some coffee, we seem to have forgotten it, ” and he conducted the guests back to the table on the lawn.
“来吧,先生们,喝点咖啡吧,我们好像忘记了它”,他把客人们带回到草坪上的桌子旁。

“Indeed, count,” said Madame Danglars, “I am ashamed to own it, but all your frightful stories have so upset me, that I must beg you to let me sit down; —
“事实上,伯爵”,当庄女士说道,“我很惭愧地承认,你那些可怕的故事让我太紧张了,我得请求你让我坐下来; —

” and she fell into a chair.
”然后她坐在一把椅子上。

Monte Cristo bowed, and went to Madame de Villefort.
蒙特·克里斯托鞠了个躬,走到了维尔福女士身边。

“I think Madame Danglars again requires your bottle,” he said. —
“我想庄女士又需要你的酒瓶了”,他说。 —

But before Madame de Villefort could reach her friend, the procureur had found time to whisper to Madame Danglars, “I must speak to you.”
但是在维尔福女士走到她朋友身边之前,检察官找到了机会悄悄对庄女士耳语:“我必须和你谈谈。”

“When?”
“什么时候?”

“Tomorrow.”
“明天。”

“Where?”
“在哪里?”

“In my office, or in the court, if you like,—that is the surest place.”
“在我的办公室,或者在法庭上,如果你喜欢的话,那是最安全的地方。”

“I will be there.”
“我会去的。”

At this moment Madame de Villefort approached.
就在这时,维尔福夫人走了过来。

“Thanks, my dear friend,” said Madame Danglars, trying to smile; —
“谢谢你,我亲爱的朋友”,庄女士试图微笑着说道。 —

“it is over now, and I am much better.”
“现在已经结束了,我好多了。”