“LET me tell you, my good man,” began Madame Nashatyrin, the colonel’s lady at No. 47, crimson and spluttering, as she pounced on the hotel- keeper. —-
“听我告诉你,先生,” No.47号的纳沙蒂林夫人开始说道,她爬上旅馆的老板。 —-

“Either give me other apartments, or I shall leave your confounded hotel altogether! —-
“要么给我其他的房间,要么我就彻底离开你这该死的旅馆! —-

It’s a sink of iniquity! Mercy on us, I have grown-up daughters and one hears nothing but abominations day and night! —-
“这是个堕落之地!天哪,我有已成年的女儿,而我们整天听到的只是恶言诽语! —-

It’s beyond everything! Day and night! —-
“简直超乎一切!白天和晚上! —-

Sometimes he fires off such things that it simply makes one’s ears blush! —-
“他有时会说出一些东西,让人的耳朵都发红! —-

Positively like a cabman. It’s a good thing that my poor girls don’t understand or I should have to fly out into the street with them. —-
“就像个出租车司机一样,幸好我的可怜女儿们不懂他在说什么,否则我得带着她们冲到大街上去。 —-

. . He’s saying something now! You listen!”
“他现在又在说什么!你听着!”

“I know a thing better than that, my boy,” a husky bass floated in from the next room. —-
“我比这更了解,兄弟,”一个沙哑的低音从隔壁房间传来。 —-

“Do you remember Lieutenant Druzhkov? Well, that same Druzhkov was one day making a drive with the yellow into the pocket and as he usually did, you know, flung up his leg. —-
“还记得德鲁日科夫中尉吗?有一天,他像往常一样将黄球击入袋中,然后你知道,他猛烈踢腿。 —-

. . . All at once something went crrr-ack! —-
“突然间,一声“嘎嘣”! —-

At first they thought he had torn the cloth of the billiard table, but when they looked, my dear fellow, his United States had split at every seam! —-
“起初他们以为他撕裂了台球桌上的布料,但当他们看到的时候,亲爱的朋友,他那副美国制服的每一缝都破裂了! —-

He had made such a high kick, the beast, that not a seam was left. . . . —-
“他的踢得太高了,这个家伙,连一条缝都没剩下…… —-

Ha-ha-ha, and there were ladies present, too . . . —-
“哈哈哈,那时候有女士在场…… —-

among others the wife of that drivelling Lieutenant Okurin. . . . Okurin was furious. . . . —-
“其中就有那个傻笑的奥库林中尉的妻子…… —-

‘How dare the fellow,’ said he, ‘behave with impropriety in the presence of my wife? —-
“‘那个家伙怎么敢,’他说,‘在我妻子面前行为不检点? —-

’ One thing led to another . . . you know our fellows! . . . —-
事情发展到了这一步……你们知道我们的人! —-

Okurin sent seconds to Druzhkov, and Druzhkov said ‘don’t be a fool’ . . . —-
奥库灵派人找到了德鲁日科夫,德鲁日科夫说:“别傻了”…… —-

ha-ha-ha, ‘but tell him he had better send seconds not to me but to the tailor who made me those breeches; —-
哈哈哈,“告诉他他最好不要找我,而是找给我做这条裤子的裁缝; —-

it is his fault, you know.’ Ha-ha-ha! Ha-ha-ha. . . .”
这是他的错,你知道的。”哈哈哈!哈哈哈……

Lilya and Mila, the colonel’s daughters, who were sitting in the window with their round cheeks propped on their fists, flushed crimson and dropped their eyes that looked buried in their plump faces.
丽亚和米拉,上校的女儿们,正坐在窗前,圆圆的脸颊托在拳头上,脸色涨得通红,眼睛深深地埋在丰满的脸上。

“Now you have heard him, haven’t you? —-
“你们听到他说了吧? —-

” Madame Nashatyrin went on, addressing the hotel-keeper. —-
”纳沙提琳夫人对着旅馆老板说。 —-

“And that, you consider, of no consequence, I suppose? I am the wife of a colonel, sir! —-
“你认为这无关紧要吗?我是上校的妻子,先生! —-

My husband is a commanding officer. I will not permit some cabman to utter such infamies almost in my presence!”
我丈夫是一名指挥官。我不能容忍一些马车夫在我的面前发表如此可耻的言论!”

“He is not a cabman, madam, but the staff-captain Kikin. . . . A gentleman born.”
“他不是马车夫,夫人,而是基金上尉……一位出身不错的绅士。”

“If he has so far forgotten his station as to express himself like a cabman, then he is even more deserving of contempt! —-
“如果他已经忘记了自己的身份,说话像个马车夫,那么他更值得鄙视! —-

In short, don’t answer me, but kindly take steps!”
总之,不要回答我,但请采取措施!”

“But what can I do, madam? You are not the only one to complain, everybody’s complaining, but what am I to do with him? —-
“但是我能怎么办,夫人?不只有您一个人在抱怨,每个人都在抱怨,但是我能怎么办? —-

One goes to his room and begins putting him to shame, saying: —-
有人去他的房间,开始羞辱他,说: —-

‘Hannibal Ivanitch, have some fear of God! It’s shameful! —-
“汉尼拔·伊万尼奇,惧畏上帝吧!丢人! —-

and he’ll punch you in the face with his fists and say all sorts of things: —-
他会用拳头打你的脸,还会说各种话: —-

‘there, put that in your pipe and smoke it,’ and such like. It’s a disgrace! —-
“就这样,把它放到你的烟斗里去吧”,等等。真是太可耻了! —-

He wakes up in the morning and sets to walking about the corridor in nothing, saving your presence, but his underclothes. —-
他早上醒来后就光着身子在走廊里走来走去,除了内衣以外,恕我直言。 —-

And when he has had a drop he will pick up a revolver and set to putting bullets into the wall. —-
当他喝醉了,他就会拿起一把左轮手枪,朝墙上开枪。 —-

By day he is swilling liquor and at night he plays cards like mad, and after cards it is fighting. —-
白天,他痛饮烈酒,晚上疯狂地打牌,打完牌就打架。 —-

. . . I am ashamed for the other lodgers to see it!”
我为其他房客看到这种情况感到羞愧!

“Why don’t you get rid of the scoundrel?”
“为什么不把这个无赖赶走呢?”

“Why, there’s no getting him out! He owes me for three months, but we don’t ask for our money, we simply ask him to get out as a favour . —-
“哎呀,别想把他赶出去!虽然他欠我三个月的房租,但我们没有要求他还钱,只是求他搬走而已。” —-

. . . The magistrate has given him an order to clear out of the rooms, but he’s taking it from one court to another, and so it drags on. —-
法官已经下令让他搬出房间,但他一直在把案件带到另一个法庭,所以拖了很久。 —-

. . . He’s a perfect nuisance, that’s what he is. And, good Lord, such a man, too! —-
他真是个完全让人讨厌的人。天哪,他还是个这样的人! —-

Young, good-looking and intellectual. . . . —-
年轻、英俊而有才华…… —-

When he hasn’t had a drop you couldn’t wish to see a nicer gentleman. —-
当他没有喝醉时,你不会希望再见到一个更好的绅士了。 —-

The other day he wasn’t drunk and he spent the whole day writing letters to his father and mother.”
前几天他没有喝醉,整天都在给父母写信。”

“Poor father and mother!” sighed the colonel’s lady.
“可怜的父母!”上校夫人叹息道。

“They are to be pitied, to be sure! There’s no comfort in having such a scamp! —-
“他们值得同情,确实如此!拥有这样一个无赖,一点安慰也没有! —-

He’s sworn at and turned out of his lodgings, and not a day passes but he is in trouble over some scandal. It’s sad!”
他遭到咒骂和赶出他的住所,每天都会卷入一些丑闻中。真是可悲!”

“His poor unhappy wife!” sighed the lady.
“他可怜的不幸妻子!”夫人感叹道。

“He has no wife, madam. A likely idea! —-
“他没有妻子,夫人。这个想法真是天真! —-

She would have to thank God if her head were not broken. . . .”
如果她的头没有破裂的话,她将不得不感谢上帝……

The lady walked up and down the room.
那位女士在房间里来回走动。

“He is not married, you say?”
“你说他没有结婚?”

“Certainly not, madam.”
“当然没有,夫人。”

The lady walked up and down the room again and mused a little.
那位女士又在房间里来回走动,稍微沉思了一下。

“H’m, not married . . .” she pronounced meditatively. —-
“嗯,没有结婚……”她沉思地发表了意见。 —-

“H’m. Lilya and Mila, don’t sit at the window, there’s a draught! What a pity! —-
“嗯,莉莉娅和米拉,别坐在窗户边上,那里有一股风!真可惜! —-

A young man and to let himself sink to this! And all owing to what? The lack of good influence! —-
一个年轻人竟然让自己堕落到这个地步!这全都是什么原因呢?缺乏好的影响! —-

There is no mother who would. . . . Not married? Well . . . there it is. . . . —-
没有一个母亲会……没有结婚?好吧……就是这样…… —-

Please be so good,” the lady continued suavely after a moment’s thought, “as to go to him and ask him in my name to . —-
请你好心,”那位女士经过片刻的思考后和蔼地继续说道,”去找他,以我的名义请求他…… —-

. . refrain from using expressions. . . . Tell him that Madame Nashatyrin begs him. . . . —-
……不要再使用那些表达……告诉他那位纳夏特琳女士请求他…… —-

Tell him she is staying with her daughters in No. 47 . . . —-
告诉他她和她的女儿们住在47号…… —-

that she has come up from her estate in the country. . . .”
告诉他,她从乡下的庄园上来的……

“Certainly.”
“当然。”

“Tell him, a colonel’s lady and her daughters. He might even come and apologize. . . —-
“告诉他,是一位上校的夫人和她的女儿。他甚至可以来道个歉…… —-

. We are always at home after dinner. Oh, Mila, shut the window!”
晚饭后我们总是待在家里。哦,米拉,关上窗户!

“Why, what do you want with that . . . black sheep, mamma? —-
“嘿,妈妈,你想要那只……黑羊干什么?” —-

” drawled Lilya when the hotel-keeper had retired. —-
“见到旅馆老板走后,”丽莉娅拖着声音说。 —-

“A queer person to invite! A drunken, rowdy rascal!”
“邀请这种怪人!一个喝醉酒、惹事生非的无赖!”

“Oh, don’t say so, ma chère! You always talk like that; and there . . . sit down! —-
“哎呀,别这么说,亲爱的!你总是说这种话;还有……坐下!” —-

Why, whatever he may be, we ought not to despise him. . . . There’s something good in everyone. —-
无论他是什么样的人,我们不应该看不起他。每个人都有可取之处。 —-

Who knows,” sighed the colonel’s lady, looking her daughters up and down anxiously, “perhaps your fate is here. —-
谁知道呢,”上校夫人叹了口气,焦急地打量着她的女儿们,“也许你的命运就在这里。 —-

Change your dresses anyway. . . .”
无论如何要换上漂亮的衣服……