MORNING. It is not yet seven o’clock, but Makar Kuzmitch Blyostken’s shop is already open. —-
早晨。现在还不到七点,但马卡尔·库兹米奇·布里奥斯坦的店已经开门了。 —-

The barber himself, an unwashed, greasy, but foppishly dressed youth of three and twenty, is busy clearing up; —-
理发师本人是个没洗过澡、油腻的、打扮得俏皮的23岁少年,他正忙着收拾。 —-

there is really nothing to be cleared away, but he is perspiring with his exertions. —-
其实没有什么可收拾的,但是他冒着汗在努力。 —-

In one place he polishes with a rag, in another he scrapes with his finger or catches a bug and brushes it off the wall.
他在一个地方用抹布擦拭,又在另一个地方用手指刮,或者捉住一只虫子并把它从墙上刷掉。

The barber’s shop is small, narrow, and unclean. —-
理发店又小、又窄,又不干净。 —-

The log walls are hung with paper suggestive of a cabman’s faded shirt. —-
木板墙上挂着像马车夫褪色的衬衫一样的纸。 —-

Between the two dingy, perspiring windows there is a thin, creaking, rickety door, above it, green from the damp, a bell which trembles and gives a sickly ring of itself without provocation. —-
在两扇肮脏、满是汗水的窗户之间,有一扇薄薄的、吱呀作响的门,上面湿气使它变绿了,门上挂着个铃,哆嗦着发出不自觉的、病态的铃声。 —-

Glance into the looking-glass which hangs on one of the walls, and it distorts your countenance in all directions in the most merciless way! —-
看一下挂在墙上的镜子,它会无情地把你的脸扭曲成各个方向! —-

The shaving and haircutting is done before this looking-glass. —-
理发和剃头是在这面镜子前完成的。 —-

On the little table, as greasy and unwashed as Makar Kuzmitch himself, there is everything: —-
在桌子上,和马卡尔·库兹米奇一样又脏又油腻的物品摆得乱七八糟: —-

combs, scissors, razors, a ha’porth of wax for the moustache, a ha’porth of powder, a ha’porth of much watered eau de Cologne, and indeed the whole barber’s shop is not worth more than fifteen kopecks.
梳子、剪刀、剃刀、一半便士价值的蜡、一半便士价值的粉、一半便士价值的稀释得很厉害的科隆水,实际上整个理发店的价值还不到十五戈比。

There is a squeaking sound from the invalid bell and an elderly man in a tanned sheepskin and high felt over-boots walks into the shop. —-
从无病铃发出吱吱的声音,一位穿着黝黑绵羊皮大衣和高筒毡靴的老人走进了店里。 —-

His head and neck are wrapped in a woman’s shawl.
他的头和脖子包着一块妇女的围巾。

This is Erast Ivanitch Yagodov, Makar Kuzmitch’s godfather. —-
这个人是马卡尔·库兹米奇的教父埃拉斯特·伊万尼奇·亚戈多夫。 一度他在教堂公社当监察人,现在住在红池附近,并且从事锁匠工作。 —-

At one time he served as a watchman in the Consistory, now he lives near the Red Pond and works as a locksmith.

“Makarushka, good-day, dear boy!” he says to Makar Kuzmitch, who is absorbed in tidying up.
“马卡鲁什卡,孩子,早上好!”他对正在整理东西的马卡尔库兹米奇说。

They kiss each other. Yagodov drags his shawl off his head, crosses himself, and sits down.
他们互相亲吻。亚戈多夫拖下头上的围巾,交叉着胸,坐下来。

“What a long way it is!” he says, sighing and clearing his throat. —-
“这真是个漫长的路!”他叹了口气,清了清嗓子。 —-

“It’s no joke! From the Red Pond to the Kaluga gate.”
“真不容易!从红池到卡卢加门。”

“How are you?”
“你好吗?”

“In a poor way, my boy. I’ve had a fever.”
“不太好,孩子。我得了发烧。”

“You don’t say so! Fever!”
“你别说!发烧!”

“Yes, I have been in bed a month; I thought I should die. I had extreme unction. —-
“是的,我卧床了一个月;我还以为我会死。我已经领受了临终圣事。 —-

Now my hair’s coming out. The doctor says I must be shaved. —-
现在我的头发都要掉光了。医生说我必须剃头。 —-

He says the hair will grow again strong. —-
他说头发会重新长出来得更浓密。 —-

And so, I thought, I’ll go to Makar. Better to a relation than to anyone else. —-
所以,我想,我去找马卡尔吧。找亲戚总比找其他人好。 —-

He will do it better and he won’t take anything for it. —-
他会做得更好,而且不会向我收钱。 —-

It’s rather far, that’s true, but what of it? It’s a walk.”
路程确实有点远,没错,但没什么。去走走好了。”

“I’ll do it with pleasure. Please sit down.”
“我很乐意。请坐。”

With a scrape of his foot Makar Kuzmitch indicates a chair. —-
马卡尔库兹米奇用脚拖了拖,指着一把椅子。 —-

Yagodov sits down and looks at himself in the glass and is apparently pleased with his reflection: —-
椰果夫坐下来,用镜子看着自己,似乎对自己的形象感到满意。 —-

the looking-glass displays a face awry, with Kalmuck lips, a broad, blunt nose, and eyes in the forehead. —-
镜子里显示出一个畸形的脸,厚嘴唇,宽大的鼻子,以及前额上的眼睛。 —-

Makar Kuzmitch puts round his client’s shoulders a white sheet with yellow spots on it, and begins snipping with the scissors.
马卡尔·库兹米奇把一件带有黄斑的白色毛巾围在他的客户肩上,然后开始用剪刀修剪。

“I’ll shave you clean to the skin!” he says.
“我会给你剃得干干净净的!”他说。

“To be sure. So that I may look like a Tartar, like a bomb. —-
“当然了。这样我就会像个鞑靼人,像个炸弹一样。 —-

The hair will grow all the thicker.”
头发会长得更浓密。”

“How’s auntie?”
“阿姨怎么样?”

“Pretty middling. The other day she went as midwife to the major’s lady. —-
“挺一般。前几天她去帮中尉夫人当助产士。 —-

They gave her a rouble.”
他们给了她一卢布。”

“Oh, indeed, a rouble. Hold your ear.”
“哦,真的,一卢布。把耳朵拿住。”

“I am holding it. . . . Mind you don’t cut me. Oy, you hurt! You are pulling my hair.”
“我拿着呢……小心别割到我。哎呀,你疼!你在拽我的头发。”

“That doesn’t matter. We can’t help that in our work. And how is Anna Erastovna?”
“没关系。在我们的工作中,这是无法避免的。安娜·埃拉斯托夫娜最近怎么样?”

“My daughter? She is all right, she’s skipping about. —-
“我女儿?她挺好的,跳来跳去的。 —-

Last week on the Wednesday we betrothed her to Sheikin. —-
上个星期三我们把她许配给谢伊金。 —-

Why didn’t you come?”
你为什么没来?”

The scissors cease snipping. Makar Kuzmitch drops his hands and asks in a fright:
剪刀停止剪裁。马卡尔·库兹米奇把手放下,惊恐地问道:

“Who is betrothed?”
“订婚了吗?”

“Anna.”
“安娜。”

“How’s that? To whom?”
“怎么会这样?和谁?”

“To Sheikin. Prokofy Petrovitch. His aunt’s a housekeeper in Zlatoustensky Lane. She is a nice woman. —-
“和谢伊金。普罗科菲·彼得罗维奇。他的姨妈在兹拉托斯特斯基巷当管家。她是个好人。 —-

Naturally we are all delighted, thank God. The wedding will be in a week. —-
我们都很高兴,感谢上帝。婚礼将在一周之内举行。 —-

Mind you come; we will have a good time.”
记得来参加,我们会过得很开心。”

“But how’s this, Erast Ivanitch?” says Makar Kuzmitch, pale, astonished, and shrugging his shoulders. —-
“但是,埃拉斯特·伊万尼奇,怎么会这样?”马卡尔·库兹米奇面色苍白,吃惊地耸了耸肩膀。 —-

“It’s . . . it’s utterly impossible. Why, Anna Erastovna . . . why I . . . —-
“这是……完全不可能。为什么,安娜·埃拉斯托芙娜……为什么,我…… —-

why, I cherished sentiments for her, I had intentions. —-
为什么,我对她抱有感情,我有意向。 —-

How could it happen?”
怎么会这样?”

“Why, we just went and betrothed her. He’s a good fellow.”
“为什么,我们只是去订婚了。他是个好家伙。”

Cold drops of perspiration come on the face of Makar Kuzmitch. —-
马卡尔·库兹米奇的脸上出现了冷汗。 —-

He puts the scissors down on the table and begins rubbing his nose with his fist.
他把剪刀放在桌上,开始用拳头擦着鼻子。

“I had intentions,” he says. “It’s impossible, Erast Ivanitch. I . . . —-
“我有意向。”他说。“这是不可能的,埃拉斯特·伊万尼奇。我…… —-

I am in love with her and have made her the offer of my heart . . . . And auntie promised. —-
我爱上了她,并向她求婚……还有姑姑答应了。 —-

I have always respected you as though you were my father. . . . I always cut your hair for nothing. —-
我一直把你当作父亲那样尊敬……我总是免费帮你理发。 —-

. . . I have always obliged you, and when my papa died you took the sofa and ten roubles in cash and have never given them back. —-
我一直帮助着你,当我爸爸去世时你拿走了沙发和十卢布现金,从来没有还过。 —-

Do you remember?”
你还记得吗?

“Remember! of course I do. Only, what sort of a match would you be, Makar? —-
记得!当然记得。只是,你能跟她成什么样的配偶,马卡尔? —-

You are nothing of a match. You’ve neither money nor position, your trade’s a paltry one.”
你并不是一个合适的人选。你既没有钱也没有地位,你的行业微不足道。

“And is Sheikin rich?”
那么,谢基因是有钱人吗?

“Sheikin is a member of a union. He has a thousand and a half lent on mortgage. So my boy . . . . —-
谢基因是工会的成员。他有十五百卢布的住房贷款。所以,我的小伙子…… —-

It’s no good talking about it, the thing’s done. There is no altering it, Makarushka. —-
再怎么说也没有用,这件事已经决定了。没有办法改变它,马卡鲁什卡。 —-

You must look out for another bride. . . . —-
你必须寻找另一个新娘……世界这么大,还怕娶不到人吗?切快点。 —-

The world is not so small. Come, cut away. —-
你为什么停下来? —-

Why are you stopping?”
马卡尔·库兹米奇沉默不语,一动不动,然后他从口袋里拿出一块手帕开始哭泣。

Makar Kuzmitch is silent and remains motionless, then he takes a handkerchief out of his pocket and begins to cry.
来,怎么了?”埃拉斯特·伊万尼奇安慰他。“别哭了。

“Come, what is it?” Erast Ivanitch comforts him. “Give over. —-
咳,他哭得像个女人!你接着给我理发,然后再哭。 —-

Fie, he is blubbering like a woman! You finish my head and then cry. —-
回来,怎么了?”埃拉斯特·伊万尼奇安慰他。“别哭了。 —-

Take up the scissors!”
拿起剪刀吧!

Makar Kuzmitch takes up the scissors, stares vacantly at them for a minute, then drops them again on the table. —-
马卡尔·库兹米奇拿起剪刀,茫然地盯了它们一分钟,然后又把它们放在桌子上。 —-

His hands are shaking.
他的手在颤抖。

“I can’t,” he says. “I can’t do it just now. I haven’t the strength! —-
“我不能,”他说。“我现在做不到。我没那个力气! —-

I am a miserable man! And she is miserable! —-
我是个可怜的人!而她也很可怜! —-

We loved each other, we had given each other our promise and we have been separated by unkind people without any pity. —-
我们彼此相爱,我们给了彼此承诺,然而却被无情的人分开了。 —-

Go away, Erast Ivanitch! I can’t bear the sight of you.”
快走开,厄拉斯特·伊凡尼奇!我看不下去你。

“So I’ll come to-morrow, Makarushka. You will finish me to-morrow.”
“那么,明天我就来,马卡鲁什卡。明天你就把我结束了。”

“Right.”
“好。”

“You calm yourself and I will come to you early in the morning.”
“你自己冷静点,我明天早上就来找你。”

Erast Ivanitch has half his head shaven to the skin and looks like a convict. —-
厄拉斯特·伊凡尼奇一半头发被剃得干干净净,看上去像个犯人。 —-

It is awkward to be left with a head like that, but there is no help for it. —-
这样剩下一头这样的头发很尴尬,但是没办法。 —-

He wraps his head in the shawl and walks out of the barber’s shop. —-
他用围巾包住头走出理发店。 —-

Left alone, Makar Kuzmitch sits down and goes on quietly weeping.
独自一人的时候,马卡尔·库兹米奇静静地坐下来哭泣。

Early next morning Erast Ivanitch comes again.
第二天早上,厄拉斯特·伊凡尼奇再次来了。

“What do you want?” Makar Kuzmitch asks him coldly.
马卡尔·库兹米奇冷冷地问他:“你想要什么?”

“Finish cutting my hair, Makarushka. There is half the head left to do.”
“结束剪我的头发,马卡鲁什卡。头上还剩下一半没剪。”

“Kindly give me the money in advance. I won’t cut it for nothing.”
“请友好地预付给我钱。我可不会白给你剪头发。”

Without saying a word Erast Ivanitch goes out, and to this day his hair is long on one side of the head and short on the other. —-
埃拉斯特·伊万尼奇一言不发地走了出去,至今他的头发一边长一边短。 —-

He regards it as extravagance to pay for having his hair cut and is waiting for the hair to grow of itself on the shaven side.
他认为支付理发费是奢侈,正在等待剪过的那一边头发自己长出来。

He danced at the wedding in that condition.
他还是以那种状态参加了婚礼。