IN spite of a violent attack of gout in the night and the nervous exhaustion left by it, Kistunov went in the morning to his office and began punctually seeing the clients of the bank and persons who had come with petitions. —-
尽管在夜间患上了痛风的严重攻击和由此引起的神经衰竭,基斯托诺夫还是早上去了他的办公室,准时接待了银行的客户和带着请愿书来的人。 —-

He looked languid and exhausted, and spoke in a faint voice hardly above a whisper, as though he were dying.
他看起来疲惫不堪,语气微弱得几乎是一个微弱的低声,仿佛快要死去一样。

“What can I do for you?” he asked a lady in an antediluvian mantle, whose back view was extremely suggestive of a huge dung-beetle.
“您有什么事儿需要我帮忙?”他对一位身着古老斗篷的女士问道,她的后背让人联想到一个巨大的粪甲虫。

“You see, your Excellency,” the petitioner in question began, speaking rapidly, “my husband Shtchukin, a collegiate assessor, was ill for five months, and while he, if you will excuse my saying so, was laid up at home, he was for no sort of reason dismissed, your Excellency; —-
“您见谅,尊贵的阁下,”这位请愿人开始迅速地说道,“我丈夫舒奇金,一个资深考官,病了五个月,而他在家休养期间,他却因为没有任何理由被解雇了,尊贵的阁下; —-

and when I went for his salary they deducted, if you please, your Excellency, twenty-four roubles thirty-six kopecks from his salary. —-
当我去领他的薪水时,你瞧,他们从他的薪水中扣除了二十四卢布三十六戈比。 —-

‘What for?’ I asked. ‘He borrowed from the club fund,’ they told me, ‘and the other clerks had stood security for him. —-
‘为什么?’我问道。‘他从俱乐部基金借了钱,’他们告诉我,‘其他职员替他担保。 —-

’ How was that? How could he have borrowed it without my consent? —-
’怎么可能呢?他怎么能没有我的同意就借到钱呢? —-

It’s impossible, your Excellency. What’s the reason of it? —-
这是不可能的,尊贵的阁下。这是为什么呢? —-

I am a poor woman, I earn my bread by taking in lodgers. I am a weak, defenceless woman . . . —-
我是一个贫苦的女人,我靠招收房客谋生。我是一个软弱、无助的女人… —-

I have to put up with ill- usage from everyone and never hear a kind word. . .”
我不得不忍受来自每个人的虐待,从来没有听到一个善意的话…”

The petitioner was blinking, and dived into her mantle for her handkerchief. —-
这位请愿人眨巴着眼睛,伸手去她的斗篷里拿手绢。 —-

Kistunov took her petition from her and began reading it.
基斯托诺夫从她手中接过请愿书,开始阅读。

“Excuse me, what’s this?” he asked, shrugging his shoulders. “I can make nothing of it. —-
“请问,这是什么?”他耸了耸肩。“我看不懂。 —-

Evidently you have come to the wrong place, madam. Your petition has nothing to do with us at all. —-
显然你来错地方了,夫人。你的请愿与我们毫无关系。 —-

You will have to apply to the department in which your husband was employed.”
你应该去找你丈夫所在部门申请。”

“Why, my dear sir, I have been to five places already, and they would not even take the petition anywhere,” said Madame Shtchukin. —-
“亲爱的先生,我已经去过五个地方了,他们甚至都不会把请愿书提交给任何人,”夫人施钦金说道。 —-

“I’d quite lost my head, but, thank goodness—God bless him for it—my son-in-law, Boris Matveyitch, advised me to come to you. —-
“我真的晕头转向了,但是谢天谢地——上帝保佑他——我女婿鲍里斯·马特韦伊奇建议我来找您。” —-

‘You go to Mr. Kistunov, mamma: he is an influential man, he can do anything for you. —-
“妈妈,你去找基斯图诺夫先生吧:他权势很大,可以为你做任何事情。” —-

. . .’ Help me, your Excellency!”
“……救救我,阁下!”

“We can do nothing for you, Madame Shtchukin. You must understand: —-
“我们对你无能为力,施楚金女士。你必须明白: —-

your husband served in the Army Medical Department, and our establishment is a purely private commercial undertaking, a bank. —-
的丈夫在军队医疗部门任职,而我们的机构是纯私人商业企业,一家银行。 —-

Surely you must understand that!”
一定能理解这一点吧!”

Kistunov shrugged his shoulders again and turned to a gentleman in a military uniform, with a swollen face.
基斯图诺夫再次耸耸肩,转向一个面色浮肿的身穿军装的绅士。

“Your Excellency,” piped Madame Shtchukin in a pitiful voice, “I have the doctor’s certificate that my husband was ill! —-
“阁下,”夏丘金夫人用可怜兮兮的语气说道,“我有医生的证明,证明我丈夫病了! —-

Here it is, if you will kindly look at it.”
如果您愿意看看的话,这是证明书。”

“Very good, I believe you,” Kistunov said irritably, “but I repeat it has nothing to do with us. —-
“很好,我相信你,”基斯图诺夫急躁地说道,“但是我再重复一遍,这与我们无关。 —-

It’s queer and positively absurd! Surely your husband must know where you are to apply?”
这太奇怪了,简直荒谬!你丈夫肯定知道你在哪里申请吧?”

“He knows nothing, your Excellency. He keeps on: ‘It’s not your business! Get away! —-
“阁下,他什么都不知道。他一直说:‘这不关你的事!走开!’ —-

’—that’s all I can get out of him. . . . —-
这就是我能从他那里得到的…… —-

Whose business is it, then? It’s I have to keep them all!”
那么这关谁的事呢?都是我来照顾他们!”

Kistunov again turned to Madame Shtchukin and began explaining to her the difference between the Army Medical Department and a private bank. —-
基斯图诺夫再次转向夏丘金夫人,并开始向她解释陆军医务部与私人银行的区别。 —-

She listened attentively, nodded in token of assent, and said:
她专心地听着,点头表示同意,说道:

“Yes . . . yes . . . yes . . . I understand, sir. —-
“是的……是的……是的……我明白了,先生。 —-

In that case, your Excellency, tell them to pay me fifteen roubles at least! —-
在这种情况下,阁下,请告诉他们至少支付我15卢布! —-

I agree to take part on account!”
我同意先付部分款项!”

“Ough!” sighed Kistunov, letting his head drop back. “There’s no making you see reason. —-
“呵!”基斯图诺夫叹了口气,让头向后仰。“你真是无法理解。 —-

Do understand that to apply to us with such a petition is as strange as to send in a petition concerning divorce, for instance, to a chemist’s or to the Assaying Board. You have not been paid your due, but what have we to do with it?”
请理解,向我们提交这样的请愿书就像向化验所提交一份关于离婚的请愿书一样奇怪,或者像向一家私人银行提交一份请愿书一样奇怪。你还没有得到应得的报酬,但我们与此有什么关系?”

“Your Excellency, make me remember you in my prayers for the rest of my days, have pity on a lone, lorn woman,” wailed Madame Shtchukin; —-
“阁下,请您让我一辈子都记住您,怜悯一个孤独的女人,”夏丘金夫人哭诉道; —-

“I am a weak, defenceless woman. . . . —-
我是一个虚弱无助的女人… —-

I am worried to death, I’ve to settle with the lodgers and see to my husband’s affairs and fly round looking after the house, and I am going to church every day this week, and my son-in-law is out of a job. —-
我担心得要死,我必须处理好租客的事情,照顾丈夫的事务,忙着照顾家务,而这一周我每天都要去教堂,而且我的女婿也失业了。 —-

. . . I might as well not eat or drink. . . . —-
我倒不如不吃不喝了… —-

I can scarcely keep on my feet. . . . I haven’t slept all night. . . .”
我几乎站不稳脚…我一整夜没睡…

Kistunov was conscious of the palpitation of his heart. —-
基斯图诺夫感到自己的心跳加快。 —-

With a face of anguish, pressing his hand on his heart, he began explaining to Madame Shtchukin again, but his voice failed him.
他面带痛苦之色,用手按住胸口,开始再次向谢秋金夫人解释,但他的声音戛然而止。

“No, excuse me, I cannot talk to you,” he said with a wave of his hand. —-
“不好意思,我不能和您说话。” 他挥了挥手。 —-

“My head’s going round. You are hindering us and wasting your time. Ough! —-
“我头晕得厉害。你在妨碍我们,也在浪费你的时间。呸! —-

Alexey Nikolaitch,” he said, addressing one of his clerks, “please will you explain to Madame Shtchukin?”
“阿列克谢·尼古拉耶维奇,”他对其中一名职员说,“请向谢秋金夫人解释一下。”

Kistunov, passing by all the petitioners, went to his private room and signed about a dozen papers while Alexey Nikolaitch was still engaged with Madame Shtchukin. —-
基斯图诺夫走过所有的请愿者,去了他的私人办公室,在亚历克谢·尼古拉耶维奇还和谢秋金夫人交谈时,签署了大约一打文件。 —-

As he sat in his room Kistunov heard two voices: —-
当他坐在自己的办公室里时,基斯图诺夫听到了两个声音:亚历克谢·尼古拉耶维奇沉闷压抑的男低音声和谢秋金夫人尖声哭泣的声音。 —-

the monotonous, restrained bass of Alexey Nikolaitch and the shrill, wailing voice of Madame Shtchukin.
“我是一个虚弱无助的女人,我是一个身体虚弱的女人,”谢秋金夫人说。

“I am a weak, defenceless woman, I am a woman in delicate health,” said Madame Shtchukin. —-
“我看起来很强壮,但是如果你检查我的身体,我一个健康的纤维都没有。 —-

“I look strong, but if you were to overhaul me there is not one healthy fibre in me. —-
我几乎站不稳脚,我的食欲也没有了… —-

I can scarcely keep on my feet, and my appetite is gone. . . . —-
“I am a weak, defenceless woman. . . .” —-

I drank my cup of coffee this morning without the slightest relish. . . .”
今早我喝了一杯咖啡,毫无享受感…

Alexey Nikolaitch explained to her the difference between the departments and the complicated system of sending in papers. —-
亚历克谢·尼古拉伊奇向她解释了各部门之间的区别和复杂的文件传送系统。 —-

He was soon exhausted, and his place was taken by the accountant.
他很快筋疲力尽,会计接替了他的位置。

“A wonderfully disagreeable woman!” said Kistunov, revolted, nervously cracking his fingers and continually going to the decanter of water. —-
“一个非常讨厌的女人!”基斯图诺夫厌恶地说道,神经紧张地弹指头,还一直去倒水。 —-

“She’s a perfect idiot! She’s worn me out and she’ll exhaust them, the nasty creature! —-
“她是个完美的白痴!她把我搞垮了,她也会耗尽他们,可恶的东西! —-

Ough! . . . my heart is throbbing.”
“喔!…我的心砰砰直跳。”

Half an hour later he rang his bell. Alexey Nikolaitch made his appearance.
半小时后,他按铃。亚历克谢·尼古拉伊奇出现了。

“How are things going?” Kistunov asked languidly.
“情况怎么样了?”基斯图诺夫疲倦地问道。

“We can’t make her see anything, Pyotr Alexandritch! We are simply done. —-
“她什么都不明白,彼得·亚历山德里奇!我们彻底完蛋了。 —-

We talk of one thing and she talks of something else.”
我们谈一件事,她谈一件事。”

“I . . . I can’t stand the sound of her voice. . . . I am ill . . . . I can’t bear it.”
“我…我受不了她的声音…我病了…我受不了。”

“Send for the porter, Pyotr Alexandritch, let him put her out.”
“叫门卫过来,彼得·亚历山德里奇,让他把她赶走。”

“No, no,” cried Kistunov in alarm. “She will set up a squeal, and there are lots of flats in this building, and goodness knows what they would think of us. —-
“不,不,”基斯图诺夫惊恐地喊道。”她会大喊,这栋楼有很多公寓,天知道他们会怎么想我们。 —-

. . . Do try and explain to her, my dear fellow. . . .”
尽量跟她解释一下,亲爱的朋友…”

A minute later the deep drone of Alexey Nikolaitch’s voice was audible again. —-
一分钟后,亚历克谢·尼古拉伊奇的低沉声音再次传了出来。 —-

A quarter of an hour passed, and instead of his bass there was the murmur of the accountant’s powerful tenor.
一刻钟过去了,而不是他的低音琴声,而是会计师浑厚的男高音声音。

“Re-mark-ably nasty woman,” Kistunov thought indignantly, nervously shrugging his shoulders. —-
“真是一个相当讨厌的女人,” 基斯图诺夫愤然地想着,紧张地耸耸肩膀。 —-

“No more brains than a sheep. I believe that’s a twinge of the gout again. —-
“简直蠢得像只绵羊。我相信这是痛风犯了。” —-

. . . My migraine is coming back. . . .”
“我的偏头痛又要犯了……”

In the next room Alexey Nikolaitch, at the end of his resources, at last tapped his finger on the table and then on his own forehead.
在隔壁房间里,艾列克谢·尼古拉耶维奇终于耐不住了,用手指敲着桌子,然后敲了敲自己的额头。

“The fact of the matter is you haven’t a head on your shoulders,” he said, “but this.”
“事实就是你的肩膀上没有脑袋,只有这个。”

“Come, come,” said the old lady, offended. “Talk to your own wife like that. . —-
“来吧,来吧,” 老太太生气地说道,”像这样和你自己的妻子说话。” —-

. . You screw! . . . Don’t be too free with your hands.”
“混账家伙!别太放肆了。”

And looking at her with fury, with exasperation, as though he would devour her, Alexey Nikolaitch said in a quiet, stifled voice:
艾列克谢·尼古拉耶维奇生气地、愤怒地看着她,仿佛要把她吞噬一样,以低沉而压抑的声音说道:

“Clear out.”
“滚开。”

“Wha-at?” squealed Madame Shtchukin. “How dare you? I am a weak, defenceless woman; —-
“什,什么?” 夫人什屈金尖尖地尖叫着,”你敢这样说话?我是一个弱不禁风、无助的女人; —-

I won’t endure it. My husband is a collegiate assessor. You screw! . . . —-
我不能容忍。我丈夫是个考官。混账家伙!我要去找律师德米特里·卡里奇,你将一无所有! —-

I will go to Dmitri Karlitch, the lawyer, and there will be nothing left of you! —-
我已经把三个房客告上了法庭,你给我跪在我的脚下的无礼话将遭报应! —-

I’ve had the law of three lodgers, and I will make you flop down at my feet for your saucy words! —-
我会去找你的上级。阁下,阁下!” —-

I’ll go to your general. Your Excellency, your Excellency!”
请通过你的杰出地位给我一个解释!

“Be off, you pest,” hissed Alexey Nikolaitch.
“走开,你这讨厌虫,”亚历克谢·尼古拉伊奇嘶声说道。

Kistunov opened his door and looked into the office.
克斯图诺夫打开门,看向办公室。

“What is it?” he asked in a tearful voice.
“怎么了?”他用哭腔的声音问道。

Madame Shtchukin, as red as a crab, was standing in the middle of the room, rolling her eyes and prodding the air with her fingers. —-
夏图金夫人蟹红着脸站在房间中央,转动着眼珠,用手指点着空气。 —-

The bank clerks were standing round red in the face too, and, evidently harassed, were looking at each other distractedly.
银行职员们也红着脸站在一起,显然烦恼不已,彼此不安地看着对方。

“Your Excellency,” cried Madame Shtchukin, pouncing upon Kistunov. “Here, this man, he here . —-
“阁下,”夏图金夫人大声喊道,向克斯图诺夫扑去。”就是他,就是他。”(她指着亚历克谢·尼古拉伊奇)”他敲了敲自己的额头,然后敲了敲桌子。 —-

. . this man . . .” (she pointed to Alexey Nikolaitch) “tapped himself on the forehead and then tapped the table. —-
“你告诉他要干涉我的案子,他还讥笑我!我是一个虚弱无助的女人. . . 我的丈夫是一个顾问,我自己是一个少校的女儿!” —-

. . . You told him to go into my case, and he’s jeering at me! I am a weak, defenceless woman. . —-
“很好,夫人,”克斯图诺夫呻吟着说道。“我会调查的. . . 我会采取措施. . . . 你走开. . . 稍后!” —-

. . My husband is a collegiate assessor, and I am a major’s daughter myself!”
“那么我什么时候能拿到钱,阁下?我今天就需要!”

“Very good, madam,” moaned Kistunov. “I will go into it . . . —-
克斯图诺夫颤抖着手掌在额头上划了一下,叹了口气,又开始解释。 —-

I will take steps. . . . Go away . . . later!”
“夫人,我已经告诉过你了,这是一家银行,一个私营商业机构. . . . 你要我们做什么?而且你要明白你正在妨碍我们。”

“And when shall I get the money, your Excellency? I need it to-day!”
“夏图金夫人,我下午就会有钱. . .”

Kistunov passed his trembling hand over his forehead, heaved a sigh, and began explaining again.
克斯图诺夫用颤抖的手掌抚在额头上,又叹了口气,再次开始解释。

“Madam, I have told you already this is a bank, a private commercial establishment. . . . —-
“夫人,我已经告诉过你了,这是一家银行,一个私营商业机构. . . . 你要我们做什么?而且你要明白你正在妨碍我们。” —-

What do you want of us? And do understand that you are hindering us.”
“夫人,我已经告诉过你了,这是一家银行,一个私营商业机构. . . . 你要我们做什么?而且你要明白你正在妨碍我们。”

Madame Shtchukin listened to him and sighed.
夏秋金夫人听了他的话,叹了口气。

“To be sure, to be sure,” she assented. —-
“当然,当然,”她点头同意。 —-

“Only, your Excellency, do me the kindness, make me pray for you for the rest of my life, be a father, protect me! —-
“只要您的殿下,让我永远为您祈祷,成为我的父亲,保护我!” —-

If a medical certificate is not enough I can produce an affidavit from the police. —-
如果仅凭医疗证明还不够的话,我可以提供一份来自警察局的宣誓书。 —-

. . . Tell them to give me the money.”
告诉他们给我钱。

Everything began swimming before Kistunov’s eyes. —-
基斯图诺夫感到一切都在眼前晃动。 —-

He breathed out all the air in his lungs in a prolonged sigh and sank helpless on a chair.
他把肺中所有的空气都长长地吐出来,无助地坐在椅子上。

“How much do you want?” he asked in a weak voice.
他用虚弱的声音问道:”您需要多少钱?”

“Twenty-four roubles and thirty-six kopecks.”
“二十四卢布三十六戈比。”

Kistunov took his pocket-book out of his pocket, extracted a twenty-five rouble note and gave it to Madame Shtchukin.
基斯图诺夫从口袋里拿出皮夹,取出一张二十五卢布的钞票,交给了夏秋金夫人。

“Take it and . . . and go away!”
“拿着去吧…离开这里吧!”

Madame Shtchukin wrapped the money up in her handkerchief, put it away, and pursing up her face into a sweet, mincing, even coquettish smile, asked:
夏秋金夫人用手帕把钱包裹起来,收好,嘴角勾起了一个甜蜜、娇媚的微笑,问道:

“Your Excellency, and would it be possible for my husband to get a post again?”
“您殿下,我丈夫可以再次得到一份职位吗?”

“I am going . . . I am ill . . .” said Kistunov in a weary voice. —-
“我要走了…我生病了…”基斯图诺夫用疲惫的声音说道。 —-

“I have dreadful palpitations.”
“我有可怕的心悸。”

When he had driven home Alexey Nikolaitch sent Nikita for some laurel drops, and, after taking twenty drops each, all the clerks set to work, while Madame Shtchukin stayed another two hours in the vestibule, talking to the porter and waiting for Kistunov to return. . . .
他开车回家后,阿列克谢·尼古拉伊奇让尼基塔去买一些月桂糖滴,每人服用二十滴,所有的职员开始工作,而什琴夫人在门厅里多待了两个小时,和门卫说说话,等着基斯图诺夫回来……

She came again next day.
她第二天又来了。