NATALYA MIHALOVNA, a young married lady who had arrived in the morning from Yalta, was having her dinner, and in a never-ceasing flow of babble was telling her husband of all the charms of the Crimea. —-
年轻已婚的娜塔利娅·米哈洛夫娜早上从雅尔塔抵达后,正在享用晚餐,她滔滔不绝地告诉她的丈夫克里米亚的魅力。 —-

Her husband, delighted, gazed tenderly at her enthusiastic face, listened, and from time to time put in a question.
她的丈夫心情愉快地注视着她热情洋溢的脸庞,倾听着,并不时提问。

“But they say living is dreadfully expensive there?” he asked, among other things.
“但是他们说那里的生活费用非常昂贵?”他问道,在其他问题之间。

“Well, what shall I say? To my thinking this talk of its being so expensive is exaggerated, hubby. The devil is not as black as he is painted. —-
“嗯,我觉得说它太贵了有些夸张,亲爱的。事实上,并没有那么糟糕。 —-

Yulia Petrovna and I, for instance, had very decent and comfortable rooms for twenty roubles a day. —-
例如,尤利娅·彼得罗夫娜和我以每天20卢布租到了非常体面和舒适的房间。 —-

Everything depends on knowing how to do things, my dear. —-
一切都取决于如何做事,亲爱的。 —-

Of course if you want to go up into the mountains . . . to Aie-Petri for instance . . . —-
当然,如果你想去山上…比如艾佩特里… —-

if you take a horse, a guide, then of course it does come to something. —-
如果你雇马和导游,当然会花一些钱。 —-

It’s awful what it comes to! But, Vassitchka, the mountains there! —-
那真的太可怕了!但是,瓦西奇卡,那里的山! —-

Imagine high, high mountains, a thousand times higher than the church. . . . —-
想象一下,非常高的山,比教堂高上一千倍…。 —-

At the top—mist, mist, mist. . . . At the bottom —enormous stones, stones, stones. . —-
山顶上—一团团的迷雾…山脚下—巨大的石块,一块块的石头… —-

. . And pines. . . . Ah, I can’t bear to think of it!”
还有松树…啊,我无法忍受想起来!”

“By the way, I read about those Tatar guides there, in some magazine while you were away . . . . —-
“顺便说一下,在你不在的时候,我在某本杂志上读到了关于那里的鞑靼导游的一些可怕的故事…。 —-

such abominable stories! Tell me is there really anything out of the way about them?”
真是令人发指!告诉我,他们真的有什么特别之处吗?”

Natalya Mihalovna made a little disdainful grimace and shook her head.
娜塔利娅·米哈洛夫娜做了个轻蔑的鬼脸,摇了摇头。

“Just ordinary Tatars, nothing special . . . —-
“只是普通的鞑靼人,没有什么特别的…… —-

” she said, “though indeed I only had a glimpse of them in the distance. —-
”她说,“尽管我只在远处看到了他们的一瞥。 —-

They were pointed out to me, but I did not take much notice of them. —-
他们曾经被人指出给我看,但我没有太在意。 —-

You know, hubby, I always had a prejudice against all such Circassians, Greeks . . . Moors!”
你知道,亲爱的,我从来就对这些车臣人、希腊人……摩尔人有偏见!”

“They are said to be terrible Don Juans.”
“据说他们是可怕的“多恩华尼”。

“Perhaps! There are shameless creatures who . . . .”
“也许吧!有些无耻的人……”

Natalya Mihalovna suddenly jumped up from her chair, as though she had thought of something dreadful; —-
纳塔莉娅·米哈洛夫娜突然从椅子上跳了起来,就像想到了什么可怕的事情一样; —-

for half a minute she looked with frightened eyes at her husband and said, accentuating each word:
她用惊恐的眼神看着丈夫半分钟,每个词都重重地说道:

“Vassitchka, I say, the im-mo-ral women there are in the world! Ah, how immoral! —-
“瓦西奇卡,我说,这个世界上有多少不道德的女人啊!啊,太不道德了! —-

And it’s not as though they were working-class or middle-class people, but aristocratic ladies, priding themselves on their bon-ton! —-
而且她们不是工人阶级或中产阶级的人,而是自认为高雅的贵族女士! —-

It was simply awful, I could not believe my own eyes! I shall remember it as long as I live! —-
真是太可怕了,我简直不敢相信自己的眼睛!我会记住它一辈子的! —-

To think that people can forget themselves to such a point as . . . —-
想想人们竟然可以陷入到那个地步…… —-

ach, Vassitchka, I don’t like to speak of it! Take my companion, Yulia Petrovna, for example. . . —-
啊,瓦西奇卡,我不想多说!以我的同伴尤利娅·彼得罗夫娜为例…… —-

. Such a good husband, two children . . . —-
这样一个好丈夫,两个孩子…… —-

she moves in a decent circle, always poses as a saint—and all at once, would you believe it. . . —-
她在一个体面的圈子里交往,总是把自己打扮得像个圣女—然而突然间,你能相信吗…… —-

. Only, hubby, of course this is entre nous. . . . —-
只有亲爱的丈夫,当然这是私下说的…… —-

Give me your word of honour you won’t tell a soul?”
你发誓不会告诉任何人吗?

“What next! Of course I won’t tell.”
当然不会告诉。

“Honour bright? Mind now! I trust you. . . .”
童言无忌?注意了!我相信你……

The little lady put down her fork, assumed a mysterious air, and whispered:
小夫人放下叉子,摆出一副神秘的样子,低声说道:

“Imagine a thing like this. . . . That Yulia Petrovna rode up into the mountains . . . . —-
想象一下,尤莉娅·佩特洛夫娜骑着马冲上了山…… —-

It was glorious weather! She rode on ahead with her guide, I was a little behind. —-
天气太好了!她和导游骑在前面,我稍微落后一些。 —-

We had ridden two or three miles, all at once, only fancy, Vassitchka, Yulia cried out and clutched at her bosom. —-
我们骑了两三英里,突然,只能想象,瓦西奇卡,尤莉娅大叫一声,抓住了自己的胸口。 —-

Her Tatar put his arm round her waist or she would have fallen off the saddle. . . . —-
她的鞑靼人用手臂环住她的腰,否则她就会从马鞍上掉下来…… —-

I rode up to her with my guide. . . . ‘What is it? What is the matter? —-
我和我的导游赶紧骑向她。“怎么了?怎么回事?”我问。 —-

’ ‘Oh,’ she cried, ‘I am dying! I feel faint! I can’t go any further’ Fancy my alarm! —-
“哦,”她喊道,“我要死了!我感到晕厥!我不能再继续了。”想象一下我当时有多么害怕! —-

‘Let us go back then,’ I said. ‘No, Natalie,’ she said, ‘I can’t go back! —-
“那我们就返回去吧,”我说。“不,娜塔丽,”她说,“我不能回去! —-

I shall die of pain if I move another step! I have spasms. —-
如果我再迈一步,我会因为疼痛而死掉!我有痉挛。” —-

’ And she prayed and besought my Suleiman and me to ride back to the town and fetch her some of her drops which always do her good.”
她恳求着,请求着我的苏莱曼和我骑回城里帮她取一些她一直吃的药滴,那些药滴对她有好处。”

“Stay. . . . I don’t quite understand you,” muttered the husband, scratching his forehead. —-
“等等……我不太明白你在说什么,”丈夫嘟囔着,挠着额头。 —-

“You said just now that you had only seen those Tatars from a distance, and now you are talking of some Suleiman.”
“刚刚你说你只是从远处看到那些鞑靼人,现在又谈论起一个苏莱曼来了。”

“There, you are finding fault again,” the lady pouted, not in the least disconcerted. —-
“你又找茬了,”那位女士撅起嘴,“一点也不紧张。” —-

“I can’t endure suspiciousness! I can’t endure it! —-
“我不能忍受这种猜忌!我受不了!” —-

It’s stupid, stupid!”
“太愚蠢了,太愚蠢了!”

“I am not finding fault, but . . . why say what is not true? —-
“我并不是找茬,但是……为什么说谎呢?” —-

If you rode about with Tatars, so be it, God bless you, but . —-
“如果你和鞑靼人一起骑马,那就这样吧,愿上帝保佑你,但是……为什么瞒着呢?” —-

. . why shuffle about it?”
“嗯!……你真是个奇怪的人!”那位女士厌恶地说。“他嫉妒苏莱曼!好像你能不跟导游一起上山一样!我倒想看看你能不能做到!”

“H’m! . . . you are a queer one!” cried the lady, revolted. “He is jealous of Suleiman! —-
“这事看来是这样!” —-

as though one could ride up into the mountains without a guide! I should like to see you do it! —-
“别笑得那么傻,拜托!我可不是尤利娅……我不为她辩护但是我……!虽然我不是圣人,但我也不至于这么丢脸。” —-

If you don’t know the ways there, if you don’t understand, you had better hold your tongue! —-
“我的苏莱曼从来没有越轨……不,没有!” —-

Yes, hold your tongue. You can’t take a step there without a guide.”
“是的,闭嘴吧。在那里,一步都不能没有导游。”

“So it seems!”
“看来是这样!”

“None of your silly grins, if you please! I am not a Yulia. . . . I don’t justify her but I . . —-
“别问候我这种愚蠢的微笑!我可不是尤利娅。……我不为她辩护但是我……!虽然我不是圣人,但我也不至于这么丢脸。” —-

. ! Though I don’t pose as a saint, I don’t forget myself to that degree. —-
“我的苏莱曼从来没有越轨……不,没有!” —-

My Suleiman never overstepped the limits. . . . No-o! —-
“是的,闭嘴吧。在那里,一步都不能没有导游。” —-

Mametkul used to be sitting at Yulia’s all day long, but in my room as soon as it struck eleven: —-
曼默特库尔过去整天都坐在尤利娅那里,但一到十一点马上进入我的房间。 —-

‘Suleiman, march! Off you go!’ And my foolish Tatar boy would depart. —-
“苏列曼,走吧!”我的愚蠢的鞑靼小孩就会离开。 —-

I made him mind his p’s and q’s, hubby! —-
我让他注意言行,亲爱的丈夫! —-

As soon as he began grumbling about money or anything, I would say ‘How? Wha-at? Wha-a-a-t? —-
只要他开始抱怨钱或其他事情,我就会说:“什么?怎么了?怎么了?” —-

’ And his heart would be in his mouth directly. . . . Ha-ha-ha! —-
他的心就会直接提到喉咙……哈哈哈! —-

His eyes, you know, Vassitchka, were as black, as black, like coals, such an amusing little Tatar face, so funny and silly! —-
你知道,瓦西奇卡,他的眼睛乌黑乌黑的,像煤炭一样,他那有趣的小鞑靼脸庞,多么滑稽可笑! —-

I kept him in order, didn’t I just!”
我管好了他,不是吗!”

“I can fancy . . .” mumbled her husband, rolling up pellets of bread.
她的丈夫咕哝着,揉着面包屑。

“That’s stupid, Vassitchka! I know what is in your mind! I know what you are thinking . . . —-
“那真是愚蠢,瓦西奇卡!我知道你在想什么!我知道你在想…… —-

But I assure you even when we were on our expeditions I never let him overstep the limits. —-
但我向你保证,即使我们去远行,我也从不让他越界。 —-

For instance, if we rode to the mountains or to the U-Chan-Su waterfall, I would always say to him, ‘Suleiman, ride behind! —-
比如,如果我们去山上或U-Chan-Su瀑布,我总会对他说:“苏列曼,跟在后面! —-

Do you hear!’ And he always rode behind, poor boy. . . . Even when we . . . —-
你听见了吗!”他总是在后面骑着,可怜的孩子……即使我们…… —-

even at the most dramatic moments I would say to him, ‘Still, you must not forget that you are only a Tatar and I am the wife of a civil councillor!’ Ha-ha. . . .”
甚至在最激动人心的时刻,我也会对他说:“千万别忘了,你只是个鞑靼人,而我是一个市政顾问的妻子!”哈哈……

The little lady laughed, then, looking round her quickly and assuming an alarmed expression, whispered:
小夫人笑了起来,然后迅速环顾四周,露出惊恐的表情,小声说道:

“But Yulia! Oh, that Yulia! I quite see, Vassitchka, there is no reason why one shouldn’t have a little fun, a little rest from the emptiness of conventional life! —-
“但尤莉娅!哦,那个尤莉娅!我完全明白,瓦西奇卡,没人会责怪你偶尔玩个痛快,逃离那些空洞的传统生活! —-

That’s all right, have your fling by all means—no one will blame you, but to take the thing seriously, to get up scenes . —-
没关系,尽情享受吧,没有人会责怪你,但要认真对待这件事,闹剧…… —-

. . no, say what you like, I cannot understand that! Just fancy, she was jealous! —-
不,说你喜欢的吧,我听不懂那个!真可想而知,她嫉妒了! —-

Wasn’t that silly? One day Mametkul, her grande passion, came to see her . . . —-
那不傻吗?有一天,她心爱的马默特库勒来看她…… —-

she was not at home. . . . Well, I asked him into my room . . . —-
她不在家……嗯,我把他带到我的房间里…… —-

there was conversation, one thing and another . . . they’re awfully amusing, you know! —-
谈了一些话题……它们真的很有趣,你知道吗! —-

The evening passed without our noticing it. . . . All at once Yulia rushed in. . . . —-
晚上过去了,我们都没注意到……突然间,尤利娅冲进来了…… —-

She flew at me and at Mametkul —made such a scene . . . fi! —-
她向我和马默特库勒发起攻击——闹了一场……唉! —-

I can’t understand that sort of thing, Vassitchka.”
我无法理解那种事情,瓦辛奇卡。

Vassitchka cleared his throat, frowned, and walked up and down the room.
瓦辛奇卡清了清嗓子,皱了皱眉,来回走动。

“You had a gay time there, I must say,” he growled with a disdainful smile.
“你在那里过得很开心,我必须说,”他带着轻蔑的笑声咆哮道。

“How stu-upid that is!” cried Natalya Mihalovna, offended. —-
“那是多么愚蠢!”纳塔利娅·米哈洛夫娜生气地喊道。 —-

“I know what you are thinking about! You always have such horrid ideas! —-
“我知道你在想什么!你总是有这么可怕的想法! —-

I won’t tell you anything! No, I won’t!”
“我什么也不会告诉你!不,我不会!”

The lady pouted and said no more.
女士噘了嘴,不再说话。