LAWYER GOOCH bestowed his undivided attention upon the engrossing arts of his profession. —
律师古奇全神贯注地投入他职业中引人入胜的艺术活动中。 —

But one flight of fancy did he allow his mind to entertain. —
但他允许自己的思绪有一次飞跃的空间。 —

He was fond of likening his suite of office rooms to the bot- tom of a ship. —
他喜欢把他的办公室一套厅室比作船底。 —

The rooms were three in number, with a door opening from one to another. —
这些房间共有三个,彼此之间有一扇门相通。 —

These doors could also be closed.
这些门也可以关闭。

“Ships,” Lawyer Gooch would say, “are constructed for safety, with separate, water-tight compartments in their bottoms. —
“船只,”律师古奇会说,“是为了安全而建造的,船底上有独立的防水舱室。 —

If one compartment springs a leak it fills with water; but the good ship goes on unhurt. —
如果一个舱室泄漏了,它会充满水;但好船仍然安然无恙地前行。 —

Were it not for the separating bulkheads one leak would sink the vessel. —
如果没有分隔板,一个漏水的地方就能让船沉没。 —

Now it often happens that while I am occu- pied with clients, other clients with conflicting interests call. —
现在经常发生的情况是,当我忙于处理客户事务时,其他有相互利益冲突的客户也来找我。 —

With the assistance of Archibald – an office boy with a future – I cause the dangerous influx to be diverted into separate compartments, while I sound with my legal plummet the depth of each. —
借助于一位有前途的办公室男孩阿奇博尔德的帮助,我会将这些危险的冲入转移到不同的隔离区,同时我会用我的法律锤深入了解各自的深度。 —

If neces- sary, they may be haled into the hallway and permitted to escape by way of the stairs, which we may term the lee scuppers. —
如有必要,他们可能会被拖入走廊,通过楼梯逃生,我们可以称之为避风舱口。 —

Thus the good ship of business is kept afloat; —
这样,商船得以良好地浮在水面上; —

whereas if the element that supports her were allowed to mingle freely in her hold we might be swamped – ha, ha, ha!
而如果支撑它的要素被允许自由地混入其舱底,我们可能就会被淹没 - 哈哈哈!

The law is dry. Good jokes are few. —
法律很枯燥。好笑的笑话很少。 —

Surely it might be permitted Lawyer Gooch to mitigate the bore of briefs, the tedium of torts and the prosiness of processes with even so light a levy upon the good property of humour.
无论如何,古奇律师可能会减轻法律文件的繁琐、民事侵权诉讼的乏味以及法律程序的单调,即便只从幽默的好产业中取少量税款。

Lawyer Gooch’s practice leaned largely to the settle- ment of marital infelicities. —
古奇律师的执业很大程度上倾向于处理婚姻不幸的解决事宜。 —

Did matrimony languish through complications, he mediated, soothed and arbi- trated. —
如果婚姻因复杂情况而失去活力,他仲裁、抚慰和调解。 —

Did it suffer from implications, he readjusted, defended and championed. —
如果婚姻受到涉及,他会重新调整、辩护和支持。 —

Did it arrive at the extremity of duplications, he always got light sentences for his clients.
如果复制的局面出现,他总是为自己的客户获得轻判。

But not always was Lawyer Gooch the keen, armed, wily belligerent, ready with his two-edged sword to lop off the shackles of Hymen. He had been known to build up instead of demolishing, to reunite instead of severing, to lead erring and foolish ones back into the fold instead of scattering the flock. —
然而,律师古奇并非时时刻刻都是一个敏锐、武装、狡猾的好战者,随时准备着用他的双刃剑砍断亲属间的束缚。他曾被人们知晓为建设而非拆毁,为团聚而非分离,为引导迷途而愚笨者回到羊群中而非驱散羊群。 —

Often had he by his eloquent and moving appeals sent husband and wife, weeping, back into each other’s arms. —
他经常凭借着动人的演讲和引人入胜的呼吁,将夫妻双方催泪地送回对方的怀抱。 —

Frequently he had coached childhood so successfully that, at the psychological moment (and at a given signal) the plaintive pipe of “Papa, won’t you turn home adain to me and muvver?” had won the day and upheld the pillars of a tottering home.
他频繁地成功地辅导了孩童,以至于在心理时刻(并且在给定的暗示下),痛苦的呼唤声“爸爸,你会回家和妈妈团聚吗?”赢得了胜利,并维护了一个摇摇欲坠的家庭的支柱。

Unprejudiced persons admitted that Lawyer Gooch received as big fees from these revoked clients as would have been paid him had the cases been contested in court. —
公正的人承认,律师古奇从这些撤销的客户那里获得的费用与在法庭上争议的案件一样多。 —

Prejudiced ones intimated that his fees were doubled. —
有偏见的人暗示他的费用翻了一番。 —

because the penitent couples always came back later for the divorce, anyhow.
因为后来悔过的夫妻总是回来申请离婚。

There came a season in June when the legal ship of Lawyer Gooch (to borrow his own figure) was nearly becalmed. —
有一个在六月份时几乎陷入停滞的法律船只,律师古奇(借用他自己的比喻)说法,那时他几乎没有任何案件。 —

The divorce mill grinds slowly in June. It is the month of Cupid and Hymen.
六月份离婚手续进行得很慢。这是丘比特和海门的月份。

Lawyer Gooch, then, sat idle in the middle room of his clientless suite. —
当时,律师古奇闲坐在他没有客户的套房的中间房间里。 —

A small anteroom connected – or rather separated – this apartment from the hallway. —
一间小的等候室把这间房间和走廊隔开。 —

Here was stationed Archibald, who wrested from visitors their cards or oral nomenclature which he bore to his master while they waited.
在这里,站着阿奇博尔德,他从访客那里取得他们的名片或口头姓名,然后把它们带给主人。

Suddenly, on this day, there came a great knocking at the outermost door.
突然,在这一天,外门外传来了一阵敲门声。

Archibald, opening it, was thrust aside as superfluous by the visitor, who without due reverence at once pene- trated to the office of Lawyer Gooch and threw himself with good-natured insolence into a comfortable chair facing that gentlemen.
阿奇博尔德打开门,由于是多余的就被访客推开一边,这个访客毫不客气地走进了律师古奇的办公室,自顾自地坐在一把舒适的椅子上,面对着那位先生。

“You are Phineas C. Gooch, attorney-at-law?” said the visitor, his tone of voice and inflection making his words at once a question, an assertion and an accusation.
“你是菲尼斯·古奇,律师吗?”访客的语气和声调使他的话既是一个问题,又是一个断言和指责。

Before committing himself by a reply, the lawyer esti- mated his possible client in one of his brief but shrewd and calculating glances.
律师在一个简短但精明而深思熟虑的目光中对他潜在的客户进行估计,然后再给出答复。

The man was of the emphatic type – large-sized, active, bold and debonair in demeanour, vain beyond a doubt, slightly swaggering, ready and at ease. —
这个男人属于强调型人物——身材高大、活跃、大胆而文雅的举止,毫无疑问是个虚荣的人,稍微有点神气扬扬,随和而自在。 —

He was well- clothed, but with a shade too much ornateness. —
他穿着得体,但多了一点装饰。 —

He was seeking a lawyer; —
他正在寻找律师; —

but if that fact would seem to saddle him with troubles they were not patent in his beaming eye and courageous air.
但如果这个事实似乎给他带来麻烦,那并不表现在他充满光芒的眼神和勇往直前的气势中。

“My name is Gooch,” at length the lawyer admitted. —
“我的名字叫古奇,”律师最终承认了。 —

Upon pressure he would also have confessed to the Phineas C. But he did not consider it good practice to volunteer information. —
如果有人追问,他还会附带波西亚斯·C的名字,但他认为主动提供信息并不是好的做法。 —

“I did not receive your card,” he continued, by way of rebuke, “so I – “
“我没有收到你的名片,”他继续说,作为一种责备,“所以我–”

“I know you didn’t,” remarked the visitor, coolly; —
“我知道你没有收到,”访客冷静地说道, —

“And you won’t just yet. —
“而且你现在还不会收到。 —

Light up?” He threw a leg over an arm of his chair, and tossed a handful of rich- hued cigars upon the table. —
点根烟吗?”他从椅子的扶手上卷起一条腿,向桌子上抛了一把色彩鲜艳的雪茄。 —

Lawyer Gooch knew the brand. —
律师古奇知道这个品牌。 —

He thawed just enough to accept the invitation to smoke.
他恰好解冻了足够的时间来接受吸烟的邀请。

“You are a divorce lawyer,” said the cardless visitor. —
“你是一名离婚律师,”无名访客说道。 —

This time there was no interrogation in his voice. —
这次他的语气中没有审讯的意味。 —

Nor did his words constitute a simple assertion. —
他的话也不仅仅是一种简单的断言。 —

They formed a charge – a denunciation – as one would say to a dog: —
它们构成了一项指控–一种谴责–就像对一只狗说: —

“You are a dog.” Lawyer Gooch was silent under the imputation.
“你是一只狗。”面对这种指控,律师古奇沉默了。

“You handle,” continued the visitor, “all the various ramifications of busted-up connubiality. —
“你处理,”访客继续说道,“各种各样的破碎婚姻的分支。 —

You are a surgeon, we might saw, who extracts Cupid’s darts when he shoots ‘em into the wrong parties. —
我们可以说,你就像一位外科医生,当爱神把他的箭射向错误的对象时,你就把它们取出来。 —

You furnish patent, incandescent lights for premises where the torch of Hymen has burned so low you can’t light a cigar at it. —
你为那些海门之火已经燃得如此低,连蒙古烟斗的火都点不着的地方提供专利的白炽灯。古奇先生, —

Am I right, Mr. Gooch?”
我说得对吗?

“I have undertaken cases,” said the lawyer, guardedly, “in the line to which your figurative speech seems to refer. —
“我接受了一些案件,”律师谨慎地说道,” 与你所指的比喻性言论有关。 —

Do you wish to consult me professionally, Mr. – “ The lawyer paused, with significance.
“您想要咨询我吗,专业上的,先生?” 律师停顿了一下,带有重要的意味。

“Not yet,” said the other, with an arch wave of his cigar, “not just yet. —
“暂时还没有,” 对方带着一丝嘲讽地摆了摆烟斗说道,” 不过马上会有。 —

Let us approach the subject with the caution that should have been used in the original act that makes this pow-wow necessary. —
我们要对待这个话题要像应该在最初的行动中使用的那样谨慎,这才使得我们必须开这个会议。 —

There exists a matrimonial jumble to be straightened out. —
有一场婚姻上的混乱需要弄明白。 —

But before I give you names I want your honest – well, anyhow, your professional opinion on the merits of the mix-up. —
但是在我告诉你名字之前,我想听听你诚实的,呃,至少是专业的意见,关于这场纷乱的价值。 —

I want you to size up the catastrophe – abstractly – you understand? —
我希望你能抽象地评估一下这场灾难,你懂吗? —

I’m Mr. Nobody; —
我叫无名先生; —

and I’ve got a story to tell you. —
我有一个故事要告诉你。 —

Then you say what’s what. —
然后你说说状况。 —

Do you get my wireless?”
你明白我的无线电吗?

“You want to state a hypothetical case?” suggested Lawyer Gooch.
“你想提出一个假设的案例吗?” 谷姆斯律师建议道。

“That’s the word I was after. —
“这就是我要的词。’ —

‘Apothecary’ was the best shot I could make at it in my mind. —
Apothecary’ 是我脑子里能想起来的最接近的词了。 —

The hypo- thetical goes. —
假设的就好了。 —

I’ll state the case. —
我来陈述这个案件。 —

Suppose there’s a woman – a deuced fine-looking woman – who has run away from her husband and home? —
假设有一位女性──一位非常好看的女性──她从丈夫和家中逃走了。 —

She’s badly mashed on another man who went to her town to work up some real estate business. —
她深深地爱上了另一个男人,他到她的家乡来推动一些房地产业务。 —

Now, we may as well call this woman’s husband Thomas R. Billings, for that’s his name. I’m giving you straight tips on the cognomens. —
现在,我们可以称这位女性的丈夫为托马斯·R·比林斯,因为那是他的名字。对于这些名字,我向你提供了准确的线索。 —

The Lothario chap is Henry K. Jessup. —
那位花心汉的名字是亨利·K·杰萨普。 —

The Billingses lived in a little town called Susanville – a good many miles from here. —
比林斯一家住在一个叫苏珊维尔的小镇──离这里很远。 —

Now, Jessup leaves Susanville two weeks ago. —
现在,两个星期前杰萨普离开了苏珊维尔。 —

The next day Mrs. Billings follows him. —
第二天比林斯太太就跟了上去。 —

She’s dead gone on this man Jessup; —
她对杰萨普这个男人已经彻底动了心; —

you can bet your law library on that.”
这点你可以放心。

Lawyer Gooch’s client said this with such unctuous satisfaction that even the callous lawyer experienced a slight ripple of repulsion. —
戈奇律师的客户带着如此幸灾乐祸的满意表达了这句话,以至于连冷酷无情的律师也感到一丝反感。 —

He now saw clearly in his fatuous visitor the conceit of the lady-killer, the egoistic complacency of the successful trifler.
他现在在这个自以为是的访客身上明显地看到了卖弄风骚的情人的自负和成功玩世不恭的自满。

“Now,” continued the visitor, “suppose this Mrs. Billings wasn’t happy at home? —
“现在,”来访者继续说道,“假设这个比林斯夫人在家里不开心? —

We’ll say she and her husband didn’t gee worth a cent. —
我们说她和丈夫完全不合拍。 —

They’ve got incom- patibility to burn. The things she likes, Billings wouldn’t have as a gift with trading-stamps. —
他们相互之间不合适的东西多得不得了。她喜欢的东西,比林斯丈夫就算送礼物也不屑一顾。 —

It’s Tabby and Rover with them all the time. —
对他们来说,那些小事就是她和罗弗(猫和狗)经常争吵的原因。 —

She’s an educated woman in science and culture, and she reads things out loud at meetings. —
她是一位受过教育的科学和文化女性,她会在会议上大声朗读。 —

Billings is not on. He don’t appreciate pro- gress and obelisks and ethics, and things of that sort. —
比林斯就不在行。他不欣赏进步、纪念碑和伦理道德等等。 —

Old Billings is simply a blink when it comes to such things. The lady is out and out above his class. —
当涉及这些事情时,比林斯简直一窍不通。夫人远远超过他的阶层。 —

Now, lawyer, don’t it look like a fair equalization of rights and wrongs that a woman like that should be allowed to throw down Billings and take the man that can appreciate her?
现在,律师,看起来像这样一个公平的权利和错误的均衡,这样一个像她这样的女人应该被允许抛弃比林斯,找一个能欣赏她的男人?

“Incompatibility,” said Lawyer Gooch, “is undoubt- edly the source of much marital discord and unhappiness. —
“不合适”律师古奇说,“无疑是导致婚姻争执和不幸的原因。 —

Where it is positively proved, divorce would seem to be the equitable remedy. —
在确实证明的情况下,离婚似乎是公正的解决办法。” —

Are you – excuse me – is this man Jessup one to whom the lady may safely trust her future?”
你是…对不起…这个人杰索普是那个女士可以安全依靠未来的人吗?

“Oh, you can bet on Jessup,” said the client, with a confident wag of his head. —
“哦,你可以相信杰索普,” 客户自信地摇了摇头说。” —

“Jessup’s all right. He’ll do the square thing. —
杰索普很靠谱。他会做正当的事情。 —

Why, he left Susanville just to keep pwple from talking about Mrs. Billings. —
为什么呢,他离开了苏珊维尔只是为了避免人们谈论比林斯夫人。 —

But she fol- lowed him up, and now, of course, he’ll stick to her. —
但她追随着他,现在,当然,他会坚守在她身边。 —

When she gets a divorce, all legal and proper, Jessup the proper thing.”
当她得到离婚,合法妥善,杰索普会做正确的事情。

“And now,” said Lawyer Gooch, “continuing the hypo- if you prefer, and supposing that my services should ired in the case, what – “
“还有,”律师古奇说,” 继续假设,如果你 prefer,并假设我的服务在这个案子中需要,那么–”

The client rose impulsively to his feet.
客户冲动地站起身来。

“Oh, dang the hypothetical business,” he exclaimed, impatiently. “Let’s let her drop, and get down to straight talk. —
“哦,该死的假设问题,”他不耐烦地说道。” 让它们搁置吧,我们进行直接交谈。 —

You ought to know who I am by this time. —
你应该知道我是谁了。 —

I want that woman to have her divorce. —
我希望那个女人能离婚。 —

I’ll pay for it. —
我会为此付费。 —

The day you set Mrs. Billings free I’ll pay you five hundred dollars.”
你给比林斯夫人解脱的那天,我给你支付五百美元。

Lawyer Gooch’s client banged his fist upon the table to punctuate his generosity.
律师古奇的客户拍了一下桌子,以突出他的慷慨。

“If that is the case – ” began the lawyer.
“如果是这样的话,”律师开始说道。

“Lady to see you, sir,” bawled Archibald, bouncing in from his anteroom. —
“有一个女士要见您,先生,”阿奇博尔德大声喊道,从办公室的前厅跳进来。 —

He had orders to always announce immediately any client that might come. —
他有命令,必须立即通报任何可能来的客户。 —

There was no sense in turning business away.
拒绝业务是没有意义的。

Lawyer Gooch took client number one by the arm and led him suavely into one of the adjoining rooms. —
古奇律师拉着第一位客户的胳膊,彬彬有礼地领他走进相邻的房间。 —

“Favour me by remaining here a few minutes, sir,” said he. —
“先生,请在这里等几分钟,”他说。 —

“I will return and resume our consultation with the least possible delay. —
“我会尽快回来继续我们的咨询。 —

I am rather expecting a visit from a very wealthy old lady in connection with a will. —
我预计会有一位非常富有的老太太来与我讨论遗嘱问题。 —

I will not keep you waiting long.”
我不会让您等太久的。”

The breezy gentleman seated himself with obliging acquiescence, aud took up a magazine. —
这位轻松自如的绅士乐意地坐下来,拿起了一本杂志。 —

The lawyer returned to the middle office, carefully closing behind him the connecting door.
律师回到中间的办公室,小心地关上连接门。

“Show the lady in, Archibald,” he said to the office boy, who was awaiting the order.
“把女士请进来,阿奇博尔德,”他对正在等候命令的办公室男孩说道。

A tall lady, of commanding presence and sternly hand- some, entered the room. She wore robes – robes; —
一个高大的女士,气质威严,目光严厉,进入了房间。她穿着长袍,不是衣服, —

not clothes – ample and fluent. —
长袍宽松而流畅。 —

In her eye could be per- ceived the lambent flame of genius and soul. —
从她的眼中可以看出天才和灵魂的闪烁火焰。 —

In her hand was a green bag of the capacity of a bushel, and an umbrella that also seemed to wear a robe, ample and fluent. She accepted a chair.
她手里拿着一个绿色的袋子,容积有一个蒲式耳大,还有一把伞,伞也穿了一件长袍,宽松而流畅。她坐下来了。

“Are you Mr. Phineas C. Gooch, the lawyer?” she asked, in formal and unconciliatory tones.
“您是律师费尼亚斯·C·古奇先生吗?” 她用正式而不和蔼的语调问道。

“I am,” answered Lawyer Gooch, without circum- locution. —
“是的,”律师古奇毫不拐弯抹角地回答道。 —

He never circumlocuted when dealing with a woman. —
当他与女人打交道时从不绕圈子。 —

Women circumlocute. Time is wasted when both sides in debate employ the same tactics.
女人绕圈子。当辩论的双方采用相同的策略时,时间被浪费了。

“As a lawyer, sir,” began the lady, “you may have acquired some knowledge of the human heart. —
“作为一名律师,先生,” 女士开始说道,”您可能对人心有所了解。 —

Do you believe that the pusillanimous and petty conventions of our artificial social life should stand as an obstacle in the way of a noble and affectionate heart when it finds its true mate among the miserable and worthless wretches in the world that are called men?”
您认为我们人为社交生活的胆怯和琐碎的习俗应该阻碍一个高贵而热情的心灵与这个世界上那些被称为人类的可怜和无价值的可怜虫中找到真正的伴侣吗?

“Madam,” said Lawyer Gooch, in the tone that he used in curbing his female clients, “this is an office for conducting the practice of law. —
“夫人,” 律师古奇以他约束女性客户时的语气说道,” 这是一个用来进行法律实践的办公室。 —

I am a lawyer, not a philosopher, nor the editor of an ‘Answers to the Lovelorn’ column of a newspaper. —
我是一名律师,不是一个哲学家,也不是一家报纸的《答疑爱情》专栏的编辑。 —

I have other clients waiting. —
我还有其他的客户在等待。 —

I will ask you kindly to come to the point.”
请您友好地直接表达。

“Well, you needn’t get so stiff around the gills about it,” said the lady, with a snap of her luminous eves and a startling gyration of her umbrella. —
“好了,你不用对此那么死板,”那位女士说道,她的明亮双眼一闪,她的雨伞一阵惊人的转动。 —

“Business is what I’ve come for. —
“我是来商讨生意的。 —

I want your opinion in the matter of a suit for divorce, as the vulgar would call it, but which is really only the readjustment of the false and ignoble con- ditions that the short-sihhted laws of man have interposed between a loving –”
关于离婚诉讼的事情,俗称的那种,我想知道您的意见,但其实只是纠正了短视的人类法律在一段真挚和高贵的关系之间引入的错误和卑鄙的条件。”

“I beg your pardon, madam,” interrupted Lawyer Gooch, with some impatience, “for reminding you again that this is a law office. —
“非常抱歉,夫人,”律师古奇有些不耐烦地打断道,“再次提醒您这是一家律师事务所。 —

Perhaps Mrs. Wilcox – “
也许威尔科斯夫人——”

“Mrs. Wilcox is all right,” cut in the lady, with a hint of asperity. —
“威尔科斯夫人没问题,”女士插嘴道,带着一丝尖刻的口气。 —

“And so are Tolstoi, and Mrs. Gertrude Atherton, and Omar Khayyam, and Mr. Edward Bok. I’ve read ‘em all. —
“托尔斯泰、格特鲁德·阿瑟顿夫人、奥玛·开亚姆先生和爱德华·博克先生都挺好的。我读过他们的作品。” —

I would like to discuss with you the divine right of the soul as opposed to the freedom-destroy- ing restrictions of a bigoted and narrow-minded society. —
“我想和您讨论灵魂的神圣权利与偏执狭隘社会对其自由的摧毁性限制的对立。” —

But I will proceed to business. —
“不过,现在让我们进入正题。 —

I would prefer to lay the matter before you in an impersonal way until vou pass upon its merits. —
我希望在您对其价值做出判断之前,用一个客观的方式来描述这件事情,比如通过一个假设的例子,而不是-” —

That is to describe it as a sup- posable instance, without – “
“而不是直接讨论具体的情况。”

“You wish to state a hypothetical case?” said Lawyer Gooch.
“你希望说明一个假设的案例?”律师古奇说。

“I was going to say that,” said the lady, sharply. “Now, suppose there is a woman who is all soul and heart and aspirations for a complete existence. —
“我本来也要说的,”那位女士尖刻地说。“现在,假设存在一个女人,她完全是灵魂、心灵和对完整生活的渴望。 —

This woman has a husband who is far below her in intellect, in taste – in everything. Bah! —
这个女人的丈夫在智力、品味以及其他方面都远远不及她。呸! —

he is a brute. He despises literature. —
他是个野兽。他鄙视文学。 —

He sneers at the lofty thoughts of the world’s great thinkers. —
他嘲笑世界伟大思想家的崇高思想。 —

He thinks only of real estate and such sordid things. —
他只关心房产和其他俗气的事情。 —

He is no mate for a woman with soul. —
他不是一个有灵魂的女人的伴侣。 —

We will say that this unfortunate wife one day meets with her ideal -a man with brain and heart and force. —
我们假设这个不幸的妻子有一天遇到了她心目中的理想对象-一个拥有头脑、心灵和力量的男人。 —

She loves him. Although this man feels the thrill of a new-found affinity he is too noble, too honourable to declare himself. —
她爱他。尽管这个男人也感受到了新发现的亲近,但他太高尚、太正直,不愿表白。 —

He flies from the presence of his beloved. —
他逃离心爱人的身边。 —

She flies after him, trampling, with superb indifference, upon the fetters with which an unenlightened social system would bind her. —
她紧随其后,以高傲漠然的态度践踏着那些黑暗社会体制对她的束缚。” —

Now, what will a divorce cost? Eliza Ann Timmins, the poetess of Sycamore Gap, got one for three hundred and forty dollars. —
现在,离婚会花费多少钱?Sycaorme Gap的诗人Eliza Ann Timmins花了340美元。 —

Can I – I mean can this lady I speak of get one that cheap?”
我可以说,我说的那个女士能以这么便宜的价格离婚吗?

“Madam,” said Lawyer Gooch, “your last two or three sentences delight me with their intelligence and clearness. —
“夫人,”律师古奇说,“您最后两三句的才智和清晰让我感到高兴。” —

Can we not now abandon the hypothetical and come down to names and business?”
我们现在可以抛开假设,转入具体的姓名和业务吗?

“I should say so,” exclaimed the lady, adopting the practical with admirable readiness. —
“我想是的,”夫人充满机智地回答道。 —

“Thomas R. Bil- lings is the name of the low brute who stands between the happiness of his legal – his legal, but not his spiri- tual – wife and Henry K. Jessup, the noble man whom nature intended for her mate. —
“托马斯·R·比林斯是那个低劣的家伙,他阻挡着他的法定妻子和亨利·K·杰萨普这个宿命的好男人的幸福。他们本该是一对的,尽管没有合法的结合。” 夫人以戏剧性的口气宣称,“我就是比林斯夫人!” —

I,” concluded the client, with an air of dramatic revelation, “am Mrs. Billings!”
“先生,有人来找您。”阿奇博尔德大声喊道,几乎像做了一个空翻一样冲进了房间。古奇律师站起来。

“Gentlemen to see you, sir,” shouted Archibald, invad- ing the room almost at a handspring. —
“有几位先生要见您,先生。”阿奇博尔德大声喊道。 —

Lawyer Gooch arose from his chair.
古奇律师从椅子上站了起来。

“Mrs. Billings,” he said courteously, “allow me to conduct you into the adjoining office apartment for a few minutes. —
“比林斯夫人,”他彬彬有礼地说道,“请允许我带您去隔壁办公室一会儿。 —

I am expecting a very wealthy old gentleman on busines connected with a will. —
我正在等待一个与遗嘱有关的非常富有的老绅士来办理事务。 —

In a very short while I will join you, and continue our consultation.”
过一会儿我就会加入你们,继续我们的咨询。”

With his accustomed chivalrous manner, Lawyer Gooch ushered his soulful client into the remaining unoccupied room, and came out, closing the door with circumspection.
顾律师以他惯用的骑士风度把他富有灵魂的客户引入了剩下的空房间,并且小心翼翼地关上了门。

The next visitor introduced by Archibald was a thin, nervous, irritable-looking man of middle age, with a worried and apprehensive expression of countenance. —
阿奇博尔德介绍的下一位访客是一位中年看上去神经紧张、易怒的瘦弱男子,脸上带着担忧和忧虑的表情。 —

He carried in one hand a small satchel, which he set down upon the floor beside the chair which the lawyer placed for him. —
他一手提着一个小手提箱,放在律师为他准备的椅子旁边的地板上。 —

His clothing was of good quality, but it was worn without regard to neatness or style, and appeared to be covered with the dust of travel.
他的衣着质量不错,但看上去不讲究整洁或款式,似乎被旅行的灰尘覆盖着。

“You make a specialty of divorce cases,” he said, in, an agitated but business-like tone.
“你专门办离婚案件,”他以焦虑但专业的语气说道。

“I may say,” began Lawyer Gooch, “that my prac- tice has not altogether avoided – “
“我可以说,”律师古奇开始说道,“我的执业并没有完全避免 - ”

“I know you do,” interrupted client number three. —
“我知道你会这么说”第三位客户打断道。 —

“You needn’t tell me. I’ve heard all about you. —
“你不需要告诉我。我已经听说过你了。 —

I have a case to lay before you without necessarily disclosing any connection that I might have with it – that is – “
我有个案子要向您提交,不必透露我与之有任何关系 - 也就是说 - ”

“You wish,” said Lawyer Gooch, “to state a hvpo- thetical case.
“你想要,“律师古奇说,“提出一个假设的案例。

“You may call it that. I am a plain man of business. —
“你可以这么说。我是个实事求是的商人。 —

I will be as brief as possible. —
我会尽量简洁。 —

We will first take up hypothetical woman. —
我们先来看假设的女人。 —

We will say she is married uncon- genially. —
我们假设她婚姻不和谐。在很多方面, —

In many ways she is a superior woman. —
她是一个优秀的女人。 —

Phys- ically she is considered to be handsome. —
外貌上她被认为是漂亮的。 —

She is devoted to what she calls literature – poetry and prose, and such stuff. Her husband is a plain man in the business walks of life. —
她热爱她所称之为文学 - 诗歌和散文,以及其他东西。她的丈夫是个在商业界工作的普通人。 —

Their home has not been happy, although the husband has tried to make it so. —
他们的家庭并不幸福,尽管丈夫已经努力使其如此。 —

Some time ago a man – a stranger – came to the peaceful town in which they lived and engaged in some real estate operations. —
一段时间前,一位男子 - 一个陌生人 - 到他们居住的宁静小镇,并从事一些房地产操作。 —

This woman met him, and became unaccountably infatu- ated with him. —
这个女人遇到他后,莫名地迷恋上了他。 —

Her attentions became so open that the man felt the community to be no safe place for him, so he left it. —
她的关注变得如此公开,以至于男人觉得这个社区对他来说不再安全,所以他离开了。 —

She abandoned husband and home, and followed him. —
她抛弃了丈夫和家园,跟随着他。 —

She forsook- her home, where she was provided with every comfort, to follow this man who had inspired her with such a strange affection. —
她放弃了她的家,那里为她提供了一切舒适,去追随这个激发了她如此奇怪情感的人。 —

Is there any- thing more to be deplored,” concluded the client, in a trembling voice, “than the wrecking of a home by a woman’s uncalculating folly?”
客户颤抖着声音说:“还有什么比女人的无谋愚蠢更令人痛惜的呢?这种无谋愚蠢破坏了一个家庭!”

Lawyer Gooch delivered the cautious opinion that there was not.
律师古奇谨慎地表示同意。

“This man she has gone to join,” resumed the visitor, “is not the man to make her happy. —
来访者继续说道:“她去找的这个人,并不是能让她幸福的人。 —

It is a wild and foolish self-deception that makes her think he will. —
她认为他会是她的野心和愚蠢的自欺欺人。 —

Her husband, in spite of their many disagreements, is the only one capable of dealing with her sensitive and peculiar nature. —
她的丈夫,尽管他们经常意见不合,但是是唯一能够应对她敏感和特殊天性的人。 —

But this she does not realize now.”
但是她现在没有意识到这一点。”

“Would you consider a divorce the logical cure in the case you present?” asked Lawyer Gooch, who felt that the conversation was wandering too far from the field of business.
“在你提出的这种情况下,你会认为离婚是合乎逻辑的解决办法吗?” 律师古奇觉得谈话偏离了商务领域。

“A divorce!” exclaimed the client, feelingly - almost tearfully. —
“离婚!” 客户感慨地喊道,几乎含着泪水。”不,不, —

“No, no-not that. —
不是那个。 —

I have read, Mr. Gooch, of many instances where your sympathy and kindly inter- est led you to act as a mediator between estranged hus- band and wife, and brought them together again. —
我读过,古奇先生,关于您因同情心和友好的兴趣而充当夫妻间调解人,使他们重新走到一起的许多情况。 —

Let us drop the hypothetical case – I need conceal no longer that it is I who am the sufferer in this sad affair – the names you shall have – Thomas R. Billings and wife – and Henry K. Jessup, the man with whom she is infatuated.”
我们放开假设的案例吧 - 我没有必要再隐瞒了,事实就是我就是这个可悲事件中的受害者 - 名字我会告诉你 - 汤姆斯·R·比林斯和妻子 - 还有亨利·K·杰萨普,她迷恋上的那个男人。

Client number three laid his hand upon Mr. Gooch’s arm. —
第三个客户把手放在古奇先生的胳膊上。 —

Deep emotion was written upon his careworn face. —
深深的情感写在他操劳的脸上。 —

“For Heaven’s sake”, he said fervently, “help me in this hour of trouble. —
“求求你,” 他热切地说道,” 在我困境的这时刻帮帮我吧。 —

Seek, out Mrs. Billings, and persuade her to abandon this distressing pursuit of her lamentable folly. —
找到比林斯夫人,劝说她放弃这令人痛苦的追求她不幸的愚蠢行为。 —

Tell her, Mr. Gooch, that her husband is willing to receive her back to his heart and home – promise her anything that will induce her to return. —
告诉她,古奇先生,她的丈夫愿意接纳她回归他的心和家,承诺她任何事情,以诱使她返回。 —

I have heard of your success in these matters. —
我听说你在这些事情上很成功。 —

Mrs. Bil- lings cannot be very far away. —
毕林斯太太肯定不会很远。 —

I am worn out with travel and weariness. —
我已经疲惫不堪,旅途劳累。 —

Twice during the pursuit I saw her, but various circumstances prevented our having an inter- view. —
在追逐中我两次看到她,但是由于各种原因我们没能见面。 —

Will you undertake this mission for me, Mr. Gooch, and earn my everlasting gratitude?”
你能为我承担这个任务吗,古奇先生?你将会赢得我永恒的感激之情。

“It is true,” said Lawver Gooch, frowning slightly at the other’s last words, but immediately calling up an expression of virtuous benevolence, “that on a number of occasions I have been successful in persuading couples who sought the severing of their matrimonial bonds to think better of their rash intentions and return to their homes reconciled. —
“的确,” 劳弗·古奇说道,微微皱起眉头看着对方的最后一句话,但随即又展现出一副纯善的慈祥表情,”我在说服寻求解除婚姻纽带的夫妇改变主意回到家庭和好方面曾多次取得成功。 —

But I assure you that the work is often exceedingly difficult. —
但是我可以向你保证,这项工作往往非常困难。 —

The amount of argument, perseverance, and, if I may be allowed to say it, eloquence that it requires would astonish you. —
这需要很多辩论、坚持,我敢说,还需要口才,你会感到很惊讶的。 —

But this is a case in which my sympathies would be wholly enlisted. —
但这是一个我完全同情你们的案件。 —

I feel deeply for you sir, and I would be most happy to see husband and wife reunited. —
先生,我为你感到深深的同情,我会非常高兴看到夫妻团聚。 —

But my time,” concluded the lawyer, looking at his watch as if suddenly reminded of the fact, “is valuable.”
但是,时间宝贵,” 律师看了一眼手表如同突然想起来一样说。

“I am aware of that,” said the client, “and if you will take the case and persuade Mrs. Billings to return home and leave the man alone that she is following – on that day I will pay you the sum of one thousand dollars. —
“我知道这一点,”客户说,” 如果你能接这个案子并说服比林斯夫人回家,让她把追踪的男人放下,那天我将支付给您一千美元。 —

I have made a little money in real estate during the recent boom in Susanville, and I will not begrudge that amount.”
我在苏珊维尔的房地产行情中赚了点小钱,那个数目我并不介意。”

“Retain your seat for a few moments, please,” said Lawyer Gooch, arising, and again consulting his watch. —
“请坐一会儿,” 古奇律师起身,再次看了看手表。 —

“I have another client waiting in an adjoining room whom I had very nearly forgotten. —
“我隔壁房间还有一个正在等待的客户,我差点忘了。 —

I will return in the briefest possible space.”
我会尽快回来。”

The situation was now one that fully satisfied Lawyer Gooch’s love of intricacy and complication. —
现在的情况完全满足了律师古奇对复杂和纷杂的热爱。 —

He revelled in cases that presented such subtle problems and possi- bilities. —
他沉醉于那些提出微妙问题和可能性的案件中。 —

It pleased him to think that he was master of the happiness and fate of the three individuals who sat, uncon- cious of one another’s presence, within his reach. —
他很高兴地想到,他掌握了这三个人的幸福和命运,而他们互不知晓,就在他的掌握之中。 —

His old figure of the ship glided into his mind. —
他脑海中浮现出了他过去描绘的那艘船的形象。 —

But now the figure failed, for to have filled every compartment of an actual vessel would have been to endanger her safety; —
但现在这个形象已经不适用了,因为填满实际船只的所有舱室会危及她的安全。 —

with his compartments full, his ship of affairs could but sail on to the advantageous port of a fine, fat fee. —
他的舱室都满了,他的事务之船只能驶向一次丰厚的酬金的有利港口。 —

The thing for him to do, of course, was to wring the best bargain he could from some one of his anxious cargo.
对他来说,当然应该从焦急等待的一位当事人那里争取到最好的交易。

First he called to the office boy: —
他首先叫来办公室的男孩: —

“Lock the outer door, Archibald, and admit no one.” Then he moved, with long, silent strides into the room in which client number one waited. —
“把外门锁上,阿基博德,不要让任何人进来。”然后,他用长长的无声步伐走进了第一位客户等候的房间。 —

That gentleman sat, patiently scanning the pictures in the magazine, with a cigar in his mouth and his feet upon a table.
那位绅士坐在那里,心平气和地浏览着杂志中的图片,嘴里还叼着雪茄,双脚搁在桌子上。

“Well,” he remarked, cheerfully, as the lawyer entered, “have you made up your mind? —
“嗯”,他欢快地说道,当律师进来时,“你想好了吗?” —

Does five hundred dollars go for getting the fair lady a divorce?”
“五百美元是用来让这位美丽的女士离婚的吗?”

“You mean that as a retainer?” asked Lawyer Gooch, softly interrogative.
“你的意思是作为订金吗?”律师古奇小声地问道。

“Hey? No; for the whole job. It’s enough, ain’t it?”
“嘿?不,是整个任务的费用。够了吧?”

“My fee,” said Lawyer Gooch, “would be one thousand five hundred dollars. —
“我的费用是一千五百美元。首付五百美元, —

Five hundred dollars down, and the remainder upon issuance of the divorce.”
剩下的在离婚案件正式成立时支付。”

A loud whistle came from client number one. —
突然,第一个客户发出了一声大哨声。 —

His feet descended to the floor.
他的脚从桌子上落了下来。

“Guess we can’t close the deal,” he said, arising, “I cleaned up five hunderd dollars in a little real estate dicker down in Susanville. —
“看来我们不能达成交易了。”他站起身来说,“我在苏珊维尔的一笔地产交易中赚了五百美元。” —

I’d do anything I could to free the lady, but it out-sizes my pile.”
“我愿意为这位女士做任何事情,但那已经超出了我的负担能力。”

“Could you stand one thousand two hundred dollars?” asked the lawyer, insinuatingly.
“你能接受一千二百美元吗?”律师暗示地问道。

“Five hundred is my limit, I tell you. —
“我告诉你,五百是我能接受的限额。 —

Guess I’ll have to hunt up a cheaper lawyer.” The client put on his hat.
看来我得找个更便宜的律师。”客户戴上了他的帽子。

“Out this way, please,” said Lawyer Gooch, opening the door that led into the hallway.
“请这边走,”律师古奇说着,打开通往走廊的门。

As the gentleman flowed out of the compartment and down the stairs, Lawyer Gooch smiled to himself. —
这位绅士走出车厢,沿着楼梯走下去,律师古奇心中微笑着。 —

“Exit Mr. Jessup,” he murmured, as he fingered the Henry Clay tuft of hair at his ear. —
“请离开,杰萨普先生,”他低声说道,边摸着他耳边的亨利·克莱那一撮头发。 —

“And now for the forsaken husband.” He returned to the middle office, and assumed a businesslike manner.
“现在轮到被遗弃的丈夫了。”他回到中间的办公室,摆出一副正式的态度。

“I understand,” he said to client number three, “that you agree to pay one thousand dollars if I bring about, or am instrumental in bringing about, the return of Mrs. Billings to her home, and her abandonment of her infatu- ated pursuit of the man for whom she has conceived such a violent fancy. —
“我了解,”他对第三位客户说道,“如果我成功促成归还彭斯太太回家,并使她放弃对那个她热烈追求的男人的眷恋,你同意支付一千美元,我成为此事的推手也可。请问这样的情况对吗?” —

Also that the case is now unreservedly in my hands on that basis. —
“完全正确,”另一个人急切地回答说。 —

Is that correct?”
我可以随时在两小时的通知内支付现金。

“Entirely”, said the other, eagerly. —
“没问题, —

And I can produce the cash any time at two hours’ notice.”
”律师回答道。

Lawyer Gooch stood up at his full height. —
律师古奇站起身来,展现出他的全身高度。 —

His thin figure seemed to expand. —
他瘦削的身材似乎膨胀起来。 —

His thumbs sought the arm- holes of his vest. —
他的拇指找到了马甲的袖口。 —

Upon his face was a look of sym- pathetic benignity that he always wore during such undertakings.
他脸上带着一种在这样的事情中总是带着的同情善意的表情。

“Then, sir,” he said, in kindly tones, “I think I can promise you an early relief from your troubles. —
“那么,先生,”他亲切地说道,” 我想我能够向您承诺早日摆脱困境。 —

I have that much confidence in my powers of argument and persuasion, in the natural impulses of the human heart toward good, and in the strong influence of a husband’s unfaltering love. —
我对自己的论证和劝说能力有这么大的自信,对人类内心向善的天性有如此坚定的信念,以及对丈夫始终不渝的爱的强大影响力有如此的信任。 —

Mrs. Billinos, sir, is here – in that room – the lawyer’s long arm pointed to the door. —
比利诺斯夫人,在那个房间里,”律师的长臂指向了门口。 —

“I will call her in at once; and our united pleadings – “
“我会立即把她叫进来;我们一起请求 –”

Lawyer Gooch paused, for client number three had leaped from his chair as if propelled by steel springs, and clutched his satchel.
律师古奇停顿了一下,因为第三个客户像被弹簧推动一样从椅子上跳了起来,抓住了他的公事包。

“What the devil,” he exclaimed, harshly, “do vou mean? —
“你到底是什么意思?”他严厉地喊道,”那个女人在那里! —

That woman in there! I thought I shook her off forty miles back.”
我以为我已经在四十英里之前摆脱了她。”

He ran to the open window, looked out below, and threw one leg over the sill.
他跑到敞开的窗户边,往下看了一眼,然后把一条腿搭在窗台上。

“Stop!” cried Lawyer Gooch, in amazement. “What would you do? —
“停下!”律师古奇惊讶地喊道。“你打算怎么办? —

Come, Mr. Billings, and face your erring but innocent wife. Our combined entreaties cannot fail to – “
“来吧,比林斯先生,面对你被误解却无辜的妻子。我们共同的劝告不会失败——”

“Billings!” shouted the now thoroughly moved client. “I’ll Billings you, you old idiot!”
“比林斯!”这个现在完全愤怒的客户大声喊道。“我要让你后悔,你这个老白痴!”

Turning, he hurled his satchel with fury at the lawyer’s head. —
他转身狠狠地朝律师的头上扔去他的公文包。 —

It struck that astounded peacemaker between the eyes, causing him to stagger backward a pace or two. —
它砸在那位惊讶的调解者的双眼之间,让他倒退了一两步。 —

When Lawyer Gooch recovered his wits he saw that his client had disappeared. —
当律师古奇恢复了理智,他发现他的客户已经消失了。 —

Rushing to the window, he leaned out, and saw the recreant gathering himself up from the top of a shed upon which he had dropped from the second-story window. —
他冲向窗户,探出身去,看到那个背叛者正从他从二楼窗户上跳下的棚顶上捡起身子。 —

Without stopping to collect his hat he then plunged downward the remaining ten feet to the alley, up which he flew with prodigious celerity until the surrounding building swallowed him up from view.
他没有停下来收拾帽子,而是从剩下的十英尺高的地方直接跳下到小巷,然后飞快地沿着小巷跑去,直到周围的建筑把他吞没。

Lawyer Gooch passed his hand tremblingly across his brow. —
律师古奇颤抖地用手擦了擦额头。 —

It was a habitual act with him, serving to clear his thoughts. —
这是他的习惯动作,可以帮助他清理思路。 —

Perhaps also it now seemed to soothe the spot where a very hard alligator-hide satchel had struck.
也许它现在似乎能够缓解那个被一个坚硬的鳄鱼皮手提包击中的地方。

The satchel lay upon the floor, wide open, with its con- tents spilled about. Mechanically, Lawyer Gooch stooped to gather up the articles. —
手提包躺在地板上,大敞着,里面的东西散落一地。律师古奇机械地弯下腰,开始拾起这些物品。 —

The first was a collar; and the omniscient eye of the man of law perceived, wonder- ingly, the initials H.K.J. marked upon it. —
首先是一个领带,这位法律人士博学的眼睛惊讶地发现上面印有H.K.J的字母。 —

Then came a comb, a brush, a folded map, and a piece of soap. —
然后是一个梳子、一个刷子、一张折叠的地图和一块肥皂。 —

lastly, a handful of old business letters, addressed – every one of them – to “Henry K. Jessup, Esq.”
最后一把旧商业信函,每封信都写着”亨利·K·杰萨普律师”。

Lawyer Gooch closed the satchel, and set it upon the table. —
律师古奇合上手提包,将其放在桌子上。 —

He hesitated for a moment, and then put on his hat and walked into the office boy’s anteroom.
他犹豫了一下,然后戴上帽子,走进办公室小伙子的前厅。

“Archibald,” he said mildly, as he opened the hall door, “I am going around to the Supreme Court rooms. —
“阿奇博尔德,”他温和地说着,一边打开大门,” 我要去最高法院开庭。” —

In five minutes you may step into the inner office, and inform the lady who is waiting there that” – here Lawyer Gooch made use of the vernacular – “that there’s nothing doing.”
5分钟后您可以进入内部办公室,并告知在那里等候的女士,”——律师古奇使用了土语——”没有什么可做的。