At Denver there was an influx of passengers into the coaches on the eastbound B. & M. express. —
在丹佛有大量乘客涌入了东行的B. & M.特急列车的车厢。 —

In one coach there sat a very pretty young woman dressed in elegant taste and surrounded by all the luxurious comforts of an experienced traveler. —
在一辆车厢里坐着一位非常漂亮的年轻女子,穿着优雅得体,周围有着经验丰富旅行者的奢华舒适。 —

Among the newcomers were two young men, one of handsome presence with a bold, frank countenance and manner; —
在新乘客中有两个年轻人,一个相貌英俊,面带大胆和坦率的表情和举止; —

the other a ruffled, glum-faced person, heavily built and roughly dressed. —
另一个则是一位满脸不悦的人,身材健硕,衣着粗糙。 —

The two were handcuffed together.
这两人被手铐捆在一起。

As they passed down the aisle of the coach the only vacant seat offered was a reversed one facing the attractive young woman. —
他们走过车厢的过道时,唯一空着的座位是一个反向的座位,正对着那位迷人的年轻女子。 —

Here the linked couple seated themselves. —
这对手铐的夫妻坐下了。 —

The young woman’s glance fell upon them with a distant, swift disinterest; —
年轻女子的目光落在他们身上,带着一种疏远、迅速的漠不关心; —

then with a lovely smile brightening her countenance and a tender pink tingeing her rounded cheeks, she held out a little gray-gloved hand. —
然后,她脸上绽放出可爱的微笑,她的脸颊染上了淡淡的粉红色,她伸出了一只灰色手套的小手。 —

When she spoke her voice, full, sweet, and deliberate, proclaimed that its owner was accustomed to speak and be heard.
当她说话时,她的声音浑厚、甜美、有节奏,表明她习惯于说话并被人听到。

“Well, Mr. Easton, if you will make me speak first, I suppose I must. Don’t vou ever recognize old friends when you meet them in the West?”
“嗯,易斯顿先生,如果你让我先说,我想我必须说。你在西部见到老朋友时难道就无法认出来吗?”

The younger man roused himself sharply at the sound of her voice, seemed to struggle with a slight embarrassment which he threw off instantly, and then clasped her fingers with his left hand.
听到她的声音,年轻人猛然振作起来,似乎稍微有点尴尬,但立即抛开这种感觉,然后用左手紧握住她的手指。

“It’s Miss Fairchild,” he said, with a smile. —
“是费尔奇尔德小姐,”他微笑着说。 —

“I’ll ask you to excuse the other hand; —
“请原谅我另一只手, —

“it’s otherwise engaged just at present.”
它目前有其他事情要做。”

He slightly raised his right hand, bound at the wrist by the shining “bracelet” to the left one of his companion. —
他微微抬起右手,右手腕上被闪闪发光的“手铐”绑住了他同伴的左手。 —

The glad look in the girl’s eyes slowly changed to a bewildered horror. —
女孩眼中的喜悦之色慢慢变为困惑和恐惧。 —

The glow faded from her cheeks. —
她的脸颊上的光芒逐渐褪去。 —

Her lips parted in a vague, relaxing distress. Easton, with a little laugh, as if amused, was about to speak again when the other forestalled him. —
她的嘴唇微微张开,表情悲伤无助。易斯顿带着轻笑,仿佛觉得很有趣,正要再次开口,却被其他人抢先一步。 —

The glum-faced man had been watching the girl’s countenance with veiled glances from his keen, shrewd eyes.
这个闷闷不乐的男人一直从他锐利、精明的眼睛中注意着女孩的表情。

“You’ll excuse me for speaking, miss, but, I see you’re acquainted with the marshall here. —
“小姐,请原谅我多嘴,我看你和这位警长很熟悉。” —

If you’ll ask him to speak a word for me when we get to the pen he’ll do it, and it’ll make things easier for me there. —
“如果你能在我们到达监狱时,请他帮我说句话,这样对我来说会方便一些。” —

He’s taking me to Leavenworth prison. —
“他正带我去Leavenworth监狱, —

It’s seven years for counterfeiting.”
因为伪造罪被判七年。”

“Oh!” said the girl, with a deep breath and returning color. —
“哦!”女孩深吸了一口气,脸色也渐渐恢复过来。” —

“So that is what you are doing out here? —
原来你在这里做这个? —

A marshal!”
当一个警长!”

“My dear Miss Fairchild,” said Easton, calmly, “I had to do something. —
“亲爱的费尔彻尔德小姐,”伊斯顿平静地说道,” 我必须找点事做。” —

Money has a way of taking wings unto itself, and you know it takes money to keep step with our crowd in Washington. —
“钱有一种自己飞走的方式,你知道在华盛顿想和我们这群人保持同步需要钱。” —

I saw this opening in the West, and–well, a marshalship isn’t quite as high a position as that of ambassador, but–”
“我看到了西部的这个机会,呃,警长虽然不如大使这样高的职位,但是-”

“The ambassador,” said the girl, warmly, “doesn’t call any more. He needn’t ever have done so. —
“大使不再来电了,”女孩热情地说道,“他本来就不需要这么做。 —

You ought to know that. —
你应该知道这一点。” —

And so now you are one of these dashing Western heroes, and you ride and shoot and go into all kinds of dangers. —
所以现在你是这些勇敢的西部英雄之一,你骑马射击,在各种危险中冒险。 —

That’s different from the Washington life. —
这跟在华盛顿的生活不同。 —

You have been missed from the old crowd.”
你在老朋友中很受想念。”

The girl’s eyes, fascinated, went back, widening a little, to rest upon the glittering handcuffs.
女孩的眼睛着迷地回到了那闪闪发光的手铐上,有些惊讶地停在那里。

“Don’t you worry about them, miss,” said the other man. —
“不用担心这些,小姐,”另一个男人说道。 —

“All marshals handcuff themselves to their prisoners to keep them from getting away. —
“所有的法警都会用手铐把囚犯铐起来,以防他们逃跑。” —

Mr. Easton knows his business.”
伊斯顿先生懂得自己的工作。”

“Will we see you again soon in Washington?” asked the girl.
“我们能在华盛顿再次见到你吗?”女孩问道。

“Not soon, I think,” said Easton. —
“我想不会很快了,”伊斯顿说。 —

“My butterfly days are over, I fear.”
“我想我的纨绔日子已经过去了。”

“I love the West,” said the girl irrelevantly. —
“我喜欢西部,”女孩不相关地说道。 —

Her eyes were shining softly. —
她的眼睛柔和地闪烁着。 —

She looked away out the car window. —
她看着窗外。 —

She began to speak truly and simply without the gloss of style and manner: —
她开始真实而简单地说话了,没有任何风格和方式的华丽: —

“Mamma and I spent the summer in Denver. —
“妈妈和我在丹佛度过了夏天。” —

She went home a week ago because father was slightly ill. —
她一周前回家,因为父亲稍微不舒服。 —

I could live and be happy in the West. I think the air here agrees with me. —
我可以在西方生活得很开心。我觉得这里的空气适合我。 —

Money isn’t everything. But people always misunderstand things and remain stupid–”
金钱并不是一切。但是人们总是对事物产生误解,仍然愚蠢。

“Say, Mr. Marshal,” growled the glum-faced man. —
“嘿,武警先生,”满面愁容的男人咆哮道。 —

“This isn’t quite fair. I’m needing a drink, and haven’t had a smoke all day. —
“这不太公平。我需要喝一杯,整天都没抽烟。” —

Haven’t you talked long enough? —
你不是说够话了吗? —

Take me in the smoker now, won’t you? —
带我去吸烟室吧,好吗? —

I’m half dead for a pipe.”
我都要被香烟折磨死了。

The bound travelers rose to their feet, Easton with the same slow smile on his face.
束缚在旅途中的人们站了起来,伊斯顿的脸上带着同样的慢笑容。

“I can’t deny a petition for tobacco,” he said, lightly. —
“我不能拒绝一个要烟草的请求,”他轻松地说。 —

“It’s the one friend of the unfortunate. —
“它是不幸者的朋友。” —

Good-bye, Miss Fairchild. Duty calls, you know.” He held out his hand for a farewell.
再见,费尔柴尔德小姐。责任召唤,你知道的。”他伸出手来告别。

“It’s too bad you are not going East,” she said, reclothing herself with manner and style. —
“很遗憾你不去东部,”她重新穿上礼貌与风格。 —

“But you must go on to Leavenworth, I suppose?”
“但我想你肯定要继续去利文沃思,对吗?”

“Yes,” said Easton, “I must go on to Leavenworth.”
“是的,”伊斯顿说,“我必须继续去利文沃思。”

The two men sidled down the aisle into the smoker.
两个男人侧身走进吸烟室。

The two passengers in a seat near by had heard most of the conversation. —
“那个坐在附近座位上的两位乘客听到了对话的大部分内容。 —

Said one of them: —
其中一位说道:” —

“That marshal’s a good sort of chap. —
“那个警长是个不错的家伙。 —

Some of these Western fellows are all right.”
有些西部人还是不错的。”

“Pretty young to hold an office like that, isn’t he?” asked the other.
“年纪轻轻就能担任这样的职位,是吗?” 另一位问道。

“Young!” exclaimed the first speaker, “why–Oh! —
“年轻!”第一个说话的人惊呼道,” —

didn’t you catch on? Say–did you ever know an officer to handcuff a prisoner to his right hand?”
你没明白吗?告诉我,你见过警官把囚犯铐在自己的右手上吗?”