Monte Cristo noticed, as they descended the staircase, that Bertuccio signed himself in the Corsican manner; —
当蒙特·克里斯托(Monte Cristo)在下楼梯时,注意到贝图奇奥(Bertuccio)以科西嘉岛(Corsican)的方式进行着签名; —

that is, had formed the sign of the cross in the air with his thumb, and as he seated himself in the carriage, muttered a short prayer. —
也就是说,他用拇指在空中画了一个十字,然后坐到马车上,喃喃念了一句短祷告。 —

Anyone but a man of exhaustless thirst for knowledge would have had pity on seeing the steward’s extraordinary repugnance for the count’s projected drive without the walls; —
任何一个对知识没有无休止的渴望的人,都会对看到管家对于伯图齐奥计划的车程感到同情,因为他表现得非常厌恶; —

but the count was too curious to let Bertuccio off from this little journey. —
但克里斯托太好奇了,不愿意放过贝图齐奥这次小小的旅行。 —

In twenty minutes they were at Auteuil; the steward’s emotion had continued to augment as they entered the village. —
二十分钟后,他们到达了欧特伊(Auteuil);当他们进入村庄时,管家的情绪仍然在增长。 —

Bertuccio, crouched in the corner of the carriage, began to examine with a feverish anxiety every house they passed.
贝图奇奥蜷缩在车厢的角落里,开始带着狂热的焦虑检查他们经过的每一座房子。

“Tell them to stop at Rue de la Fontaine, No. 28,” said the count, fixing his eyes on the steward, to whom he gave this order.
“告诉他们在Fontaine街28号停下,”克里斯托注视着管家说道,给了他这个命令。

Bertuccio’s forehead was covered with perspiration; —
贝图奇奥的额头上被汗水浸湿了。 —

however, he obeyed, and, leaning out of the window, he cried to the coachman,—“Rue de la Fontaine, No. 28. —
然而,他服从了,从窗户里探出身子向车夫大喊道,“Fontaine街28号。” —

” No. 28 was situated at the extremity of the village; —
28号位于村庄的尽头; —

during the drive night had set in, and darkness gave the surroundings the artificial appearance of a scene on the stage. —
在开车的过程中,已经天黑了,四周的黑暗给了人们一种舞台上的人造景观的感觉。 —

The carriage stopped, the footman sprang off the box and opened the door.
车停了,跳下马车的仆人打开了车门。

“Well,” said the count, “you do not get out, M. Bertuccio—you are going to stay in the carriage, then? —
“那么,”伯特乔问,“你不下来,伯特乔先生——你就打算呆在马车里吗? —

What are you thinking of this evening?”
你今晚在想些什么?”

Bertuccio sprang out, and offered his shoulder to the count, who, this time, leaned upon it as he descended the three steps of the carriage.
伯特乔跳下了马车,伸出肩膀给伯特乔先生系次下来。

“Knock,” said the count, “and announce me.”
“敲门,”伯特乔说,“然后通报我。”

Bertuccio knocked, the door opened, and the concierge appeared.
伯特乔敲门,门打开了,门房出现了。

“What is it?” asked he.
“怎么了?”他问。

“It is your new master, my good fellow,” said the footman. —
“这是你们新的主人,我的好伙计。”脚夫说。 —

And he held out to the concierge the notary’s order.
他把公证人的文件递给了门房。

“The house is sold, then?” demanded the concierge; —
“那么房子卖了?”门房问道; —

“and this gentleman is coming to live here?”
“这位先生要搬到这里来吗?”

“Yes, my friend,” returned the count; —
“是的,我的朋友,”公爵回答道; —

“and I will endeavor to give you no cause to regret your old master.”
“我会尽力让您不会后悔您的老主人。”

“Oh, monsieur,” said the concierge, “I shall not have much cause to regret him, for he came here but seldom; —
“哦,先生,”门房说,“他很少来这里; —

it is five years since he was here last, and he did well to sell the house, for it did not bring him in anything at all.”
他上一次来这里已经五年了,他卖掉这幢房子做得很对,因为它没有给他带来任何东西。”

“What was the name of your old master?” said Monte Cristo.
“您的老主人叫什么名字?”蒙特克里斯托问道。

“The Marquis of Saint-Méran. Ah, I am sure he has not sold the house for what he gave for it.”
“圣梅兰侯爵。啊,我敢肯定他卖掉这幢房子的价格远大于他买进的价格。”

“The Marquis of Saint-Méran!” returned the count. —
“圣梅兰侯爵!”公爵回答道。 —

“The name is not unknown to me; the Marquis of Saint-Méran! —
“这个名字对我并不陌生;圣梅兰侯爵! —

” and he appeared to meditate.
“他似乎在思考。

“An old gentleman,” continued the concierge, “a staunch follower of the Bourbons; —
“一个老先生,”门房继续说,“忠实的波旁家族的追随者; —

he had an only daughter, who married M. de Villefort, who had been the king’s attorney at Nîmes, and afterwards at Versailles.”
他有一个独生女儿,嫁给了维勒福特先生,他曾经是尼姆的国王律师,后来在凡尔赛也是。”

Monte Cristo glanced at Bertuccio, who became whiter than the wall against which he leaned to prevent himself from falling.
蒙特克里斯托望向贝托奇奥,贝托奇奥变得比他倚靠的墙还要苍白,为了不摔倒而勉强支撑住。

“And is not this daughter dead?” demanded Monte Cristo; “I fancy I have heard so.”
“那这位女儿已经去世了吧?”蒙特克里斯托问道,“我想我听说过这个。”

“Yes, monsieur, one-and-twenty years ago; —
“是的,先生,已经有二十一年了; —

and since then we have not seen the poor marquis three times.”
从那时起,我们只见过这位可怜的侯爵三次。”

“Thanks, thanks,” said Monte Cristo, judging from the steward’s utter prostration that he could not stretch the cord further without danger of breaking it. —
“谢谢,谢谢。”蒙特克里斯托从管家完全垮掉的样子判断出,再用力过度的话,绳子可能会断掉。 —

“Give me a light.”
“给我一盏灯光。”

“Shall I accompany you, monsieur?”
“我可以陪您一起去吗,先生?”

“No, it is unnecessary; Bertuccio will show me a light.”
“不用了,没必要,贝托奇奥会给我照亮的。”

And Monte Cristo accompanied these words by the gift of two gold pieces, which produced a torrent of thanks and blessings from the concierge.
蒙特克里斯托说着,递给了两个金币,从看门人那里得到了一片感激和祝福的声音。

“Ah, monsieur,” said he, after having vainly searched on the mantle-piece and the shelves, “I have not got any candles.”
“哎呀,先生,”他说道,搜索了一遍壁炉台和搁架,毫无结果,“我这里没有蜡烛。”

“Take one of the carriage-lamps, Bertuccio,” said the count, “and show me the apartments.”
“拿一盏车灯给我,贝托奇奥,”蒙特克里斯托说道,“带我去看一下那些房间。”

The steward obeyed in silence, but it was easy to see, from the manner in which the hand that held the light trembled, how much it cost him to obey. —
庄稼人默默地服从了,但从他颤抖的手握着的那种方式来看,很容易看出他服从的代价有多大。 —

They went over a tolerably large ground floor; —
他们走遍了一个相当大的底楼; —

a first floor consisted of a salon, a bathroom, and two bedrooms; —
一楼由一个沙龙,一个浴室和两间卧室组成; —

near one of the bedrooms they came to a winding staircase that led down to the garden.
在其中一间卧室附近,他们走到了一条通向花园的螺旋楼梯。

“Ah, here is a private staircase,” said the count; “that is convenient. —
“啊,这是一条私人的楼梯,”伯爵说道,“这很方便。 —

Light me, M. Bertuccio, and go first; we will see where it leads to.”
带路,贝尔图乔先生,你走在前面,我们会看看它通向哪里。”

“Monsieur,” replied Bertuccio, “it leads to the garden.”
“先生,”贝尔图乔回答道,“它通向花园。”

“And, pray, how do you know that?”
“请问,您是怎么知道的?”

“It ought to do so, at least.”
“至少应该是通向花园。”

“Well, let us be sure of that.”
“好吧,我们来确定一下。”

Bertuccio sighed, and went on first; the stairs did, indeed, lead to the garden. —
贝尔图乔叹了口气,走在前面;楼梯确实通向了花园。 —

At the outer door the steward paused.
在外门口,管家停下了脚步。

“Go on, Monsieur Bertuccio,” said the count.
“继续走,贝尔图乔先生,”伯爵说道。

But he who was addressed stood there, stupefied, bewildered, stunned; —
但被称呼的那个人却呆呆地站在那里,茫然不知所措,惊呆了; —

his haggard eyes glanced around, as if in search of the traces of some terrible event, and with his clenched hands he seemed striving to shut out horrible recollections.
他疲惫的眼神四下扫视,仿佛在搜寻某个可怕事件的痕迹,他紧握的双手似乎在努力回避可怕的回忆。

“Well!” insisted the Count.
“嗯!”伯爵坚持道。

“No, no,” cried Bertuccio, setting down the lantern at the angle of the interior wall. —
“不,不,”贝尔图奇奥哭喊着,将灯笼放在内墙的角落。 —

“No, monsieur, it is impossible; I can go no farther.”
“不,先生,不可能;我走不动了。”

“What does this mean?” demanded the irresistible voice of Monte Cristo.
“这是什么意思?”蒙蒂斯托强大的声音要求道。

“Why, you must see, your excellency,” cried the steward, “that this is not natural; —
“您必须明白,阁下,”管家喊道,“这是不正常的; —

that, having a house to purchase, you purchase it exactly at Auteuil, and that, purchasing it at Auteuil, this house should be No. 28, Rue de la Fontaine. —
“您是在购买房子,而且恰好在奥特伊,而在奥特伊购买房子,这栋房子应该是拉芬坊28号。 —

Oh, why did I not tell you all? I am sure you would not have forced me to come. —
噢,为什么我没有告诉您全部事实呢?我相信您不会强迫我来这里的。 —

I hoped your house would have been some other one than this; —
我希望您的房子不是这个; —

as if there was not another house at Auteuil than that of the assassination!”
“难道在奥特伊没有其他房子吗,除了发生命案的这幢?”

“What, what!” cried Monte Cristo, stopping suddenly, “what words do you utter? —
“什么,什么!”蒙蒂斯托突然停下来,大喊道,“你说的是什么话? —

Devil of a man, Corsican that you are—always mysteries or superstitions. —
作为一个充满迷信和神秘的科西嘉人,你总是喜欢追寻谜团。 —

Come, take the lantern, and let us visit the garden; —
来吧,拿上灯笼,让我们去花园看看; —

you are not afraid of ghosts with me, I hope?”
你不会对我产生鬼魂恐惧吧?

Bertuccio raised the lantern, and obeyed. —
贝尔图乔提起灯笼便照亮了周围跟从。 —

The door, as it opened, disclosed a gloomy sky, in which the moon strove vainly to struggle through a sea of clouds that covered her with billows of vapor which she illumined for an instant, only to sink into obscurity. —
门一打开,眼前是一片阴沉的天空,月亮在被云海困住之中奋力挣扎,她只能支撑片刻,再次陷入黑暗。 —

The steward wished to turn to the left.
管家想要转向左边。

“No, no, monsieur,” said Monte Cristo. —
“不,不,先生,”蒙蒂·克里斯托说道。 —

“What is the use of following the alleys? —
“追随小径有什么意义呢? —

Here is a beautiful lawn; let us go on straight forwards.”
这儿有一块美丽的草坪,我们直接往前走吧。”

Bertuccio wiped the perspiration from his brow, but obeyed; —
贝尔图乔擦了擦额上的汗水,但还是遵从了。 —

however, he continued to take the left hand. Monte Cristo, on the contrary, took the right hand; —
然而,他仍然继续朝着左边走。相反,蒙蒂·克里斯托向右边走去。 —

arrived near a clump of trees, he stopped. —
走到树丛附近,他停了下来。 —

The steward could not restrain himself.
管家忍不住开口了。

“Move, monsieur—move away, I entreat you; you are exactly in the spot!”
“请移开,先生,我求求您了;您站的地方正好是那个地方!”

“What spot?”
“哪个地方?”

“Where he fell.”
“他跌倒的地方。”

“My dear Monsieur Bertuccio,” said Monte Cristo, laughing, “control yourself; —
“亲爱的贝图乔先生,”蒙特克里斯托笑着说道,“控制一下你自己; —

we are not at Sartène or at Corte. This is not a Corsican maquis but an English garden; —
“我们并不在萨尔坦或科尔特。这里不是科西嘉的灌木丛,而是一个英国花园; —

badly kept, I own, but still you must not calumniate it for that.”
“虽然荒废,但你不能因此诽谤它。”

“Monsieur, I implore you do not stay there!”
“先生,请我求你不要呆在那里!”

“I think you are going mad, Bertuccio,” said the count coldly. —
“贝图乔,我觉得你疯了,”伯爵冷冷地说道。 —

“If that is the case, I warn you, I shall have you put in a lunatic asylum.”
“如果是这样的话,我警告你,我会把你送进疯人院。”

“Alas! excellency,” returned Bertuccio, joining his hands, and shaking his head in a manner that would have excited the count’s laughter, had not thoughts of a superior interest occupied him, and rendered him attentive to the least revelation of this timorous conscience. —
“唉!阁下,”贝图乔回答道,双手合十,摇着头,这种态度本来可能引起伯爵的笑声,但是他心中存在着更重要的事情,所以他一直关注着这个胆小的良心的每一个显露。 —

“Alas! excellency, the evil has arrived!”
“唉!阁下,不幸发生了!”

“M. Bertuccio,” said the count, “I am very glad to tell you, that while you gesticulate, you wring your hands and roll your eyes like a man possessed by a devil who will not leave him; —
“贝图乔先生,”伯爵说道,“很高兴告诉你,当你做手势,扭动双手并翻动着眼珠子时,就像一个被魔鬼缠身而不肯离开他的疯子; —

and I have always observed, that the devil most obstinate to be expelled is a secret. —
而我始终观察到,最难以驱逐的魔鬼是一个秘密。 —

I knew you were a Corsican. I knew you were gloomy, and always brooding over some old history of the vendetta; —
我知道你是一个科西嘉人。我知道你阴郁,总是沉浸在一些关于复仇的旧历史中; —

and I overlooked that in Italy, because in Italy those things are thought nothing of. —
而在意大利,我对此视而不见,因为在意大利,这些事情被认为微不足道。 —

But in France they are considered in very bad taste; —
但在法国,这被认为是非常不合时宜的; —

there are gendarmes who occupy themselves with such affairs, judges who condemn, and scaffolds which avenge.”
有警察忙于此事,有法官定罪,有绞刑台伸张正义。”

Bertuccio clasped his hands, and as, in all these evolutions, he did not let fall the lantern, the light showed his pale and altered countenance. —
贝图奇奥紧握双手,而在所有这些动作中,他没有让灯笼掉落,灯光显露出他苍白而改变的脸色。 —

Monte Cristo examined him with the same look that, at Rome, he had bent upon the execution of Andrea, and then, in a tone that made a shudder pass through the veins of the poor steward—
蒙特克里斯托以与他在罗马时对待安德烈的眼神,仔细审视着他,然后用一种让可怜的管家的血液寒冷的语调说道-

“The Abbé Busoni, then told me an untruth,” said he, “when, after his journey in France, in 1829, he sent you to me, with a letter of recommendation, in which he enumerated all your valuable qualities. —
“当时,阿贝·布索尼对我说了一个谎言,”他说,“在1829年他在法国旅行之后,他给我写信推荐你,信中列举了你所有宝贵的品质。 —

Well, I shall write to the abbé; I shall hold him responsible for his protégé’s misconduct, and I shall soon know all about this assassination. —
好吧,我会写信给阿贝,我会追究他对他的受保护者不当行为的责任,并且很快我将了解这起谋杀案的一切。 —

Only I warn you, that when I reside in a country, I conform to all its code, and I have no wish to put myself within the compass of the French laws for your sake.”
但我警告你,当我居住在一个国家时,我会遵守它的法规,我可不想为了你而使自己受到法国法律的制裁。”

“Oh, do not do that, excellency; I have always served you faithfully, ” cried Bertuccio, in despair. —
“哦,阁下请不要这样做;我一直对您忠诚耿耿,”贝图尔乔绝望地说道。 —

“I have always been an honest man, and, as far as lay in my power, I have done good.”
“我一直是个诚实的人,而且在我所能做到的范围内,我一直在行善。”

“I do not deny it,” returned the count; “but why are you thus agitated. It is a bad sign; —
“我并不否认,”伯特乌乔回答道,“但你为什么如此激动。这是一个坏迹象; —

a quiet conscience does not occasion such paleness in the cheeks, and such fever in the hands of a man.”
内心安宁的人脸上不会呈现这样的苍白,手上也不会有这样的发热。”

“But, your excellency,” replied Bertuccio hesitatingly, “did not the Abbé Busoni, who heard my confession in the prison at Nîmes, tell you that I had a heavy burden upon my conscience?”
“但是,阁下”,贝尔图奇奥迟疑地回答,“尼姆监狱里的布索尼神父没有告诉您,我有一个沉重的良心负担吗?”

“Yes; but as he said you would make an excellent steward, I concluded you had stolen—that was all.”
“是的;但是他说你会成为一名出色的管家,我就认为你偷了—那就是全部了。”

“Oh, your excellency!” returned Bertuccio in deep contempt.
“哦,阁下!”贝尔图奇奥蔑视地回答。

“Or, as you are a Corsican, that you had been unable to resist the desire of making a ‘stiff, ’ as you call it.”
“或者,由于你是科西嘉人,你无法抵挡‘勾引’的欲望。”

“Yes, my good master,” cried Bertuccio, casting himself at the count’s feet, “it was simply vengeance—nothing else.”
“是的,我的好主人!”贝尔图奇奥扑倒在伯爵脚前,“那只是为了报复—仅此而已。”

“I understand that, but I do not understand what it is that galvanizes you in this manner.”
“我理解,但我不明白是什么让你如此激动。”

“But, monsieur, it is very natural,” returned Bertuccio, “since it was in this house that my vengeance was accomplished.”
“但是,先生,这是很自然的,”贝尔图奇奥回答,“因为是在这座房子里我完成了我的报复。”

“What! my house?”
“什么!我的房子?”

“Oh, your excellency, it was not yours, then.”
“哦,阁下,那不是您的,是吗?”

“Whose, then? The Marquis de Saint-Méran, I think, the concierge said. —
“那是谁的?我想是圣梅朗侯爵,看门人说的。” —

What had you to revenge on the Marquis de Saint-Méran?”
你对圣梅兰侯爵有何报复?

“Oh, it was not on him, monsieur; it was on another.”
哦,不是对他,先生;是对另一个人。

“This is strange,” returned Monte Cristo, seeming to yield to his reflections, “that you should find yourself without any preparation in a house where the event happened that causes you so much remorse.”
“这真奇怪,”蒙泰克里斯托似乎陷入了沉思,“你竟然没有做任何准备就来到了一个让你如此痛悔的发生过事件的房子里。”

“Monsieur,” said the steward, “it is fatality, I am sure. —
“先生,”管家说,“这是命运,我敢肯定。 —

First, you purchase a house at Auteuil—this house is the one where I have committed an assassination; —
首先,您在欧泰伊买了一栋房子——这就是我犯下谋杀罪的那栋房子; —

you descend to the garden by the same staircase by which he descended; —
您通过他下楼的同一扇楼梯下到花园; —

you stop at the spot where he received the blow; —
您停在他受伤的地方; —

and two paces farther is the grave in which he had just buried his child. —
而再往前两步就是他刚刚埋葬他的孩子的坟墓。 —

This is not chance, for chance, in this case, is too much like Providence.”
这不是巧合,因为在这种情况下,巧合太像天意了。”

“Well, amiable Corsican, let us suppose it is Providence. —
“好吧,亲爱的科西嘉人,让我们假设这是天意。 —

I always suppose anything people please, and, besides, you must concede something to diseased minds. —
我总是假设别人愿意接受的事情,并且,你必须对病态的思维做出一些让步。 —

Come, collect yourself, and tell me all.”
来吧,镇静下来,告诉我一切。”

“I have related it but once, and that was to the Abbé Busoni. —
“我只向阿贝·布苏尼提起过一次,别无他人。” —

Such things,” continued Bertuccio, shaking his head, “are only related under the seal of confession.”
“这种事情,”贝尔图乔继续摇头说,“只能在忏悔的密语中传述。”

“Then,” said the count, “I refer you to your confessor. —
“那么,”伯爵说,“请找你的神父商议吧。” —

Turn Chartreux or Trappist, and relate your secrets, but, as for me, I do not like anyone who is alarmed by such phantasms, and I do not choose that my servants should be afraid to walk in the garden of an evening. —
“改行修会吧,去对别人述说你的秘密,但对我来说,我不喜欢有人被这种幻影吓到,也不愿意我的仆人晚上进入花园感到害怕。” —

I confess I am not very desirous of a visit from the commissary of police, for, in Italy, justice is only paid when silent—in France she is paid only when she speaks. —
“我承认我不是很渴望见到警察局长,因为在意大利,只有保持沉默才能获得正义;在法国,只有说出真相才能得到报酬。” —

Peste! I thought you somewhat Corsican, a great deal smuggler, and an excellent steward; —
“讨厌!我以为你有一定的科西嘉人特点,是个优秀的走私贩和管家。” —

but I see you have other strings to your bow. —
“但现在看来,你有别的事情做。” —

You are no longer in my service, Monsieur Bertuccio.”
“伯爵不再需要你的服务,贝尔图乔先生。”

“Oh, your excellency, your excellency!” cried the steward, struck with terror at this threat, “if that is the only reason I cannot remain in your service, I will tell all, for if I quit you, it will only be to go to the scaffold.”
“哦,阁下,阁下!” Steward吓得大喊道,“如果这是我不能继续在您的服务中的唯一原因,我会告诉一切的,因为如果我离开您,那只会是去上绞刑台。”

“That is different,” replied Monte Cristo; —
“那是不同的,”蒙德克里斯托回答道; —

“but if you intend to tell an untruth, reflect it were better not to speak at all.”
“但是如果你打算说谎,那就最好不要说话。”

“No, monsieur, I swear to you, by my hopes of salvation, I will tell you all, for the Abbé Busoni himself only knew a part of my secret; —
“不,先生,我发誓,凭我的救赎希望,我会告诉您一切的,因为只有阿贝·布索尼主教本人知道我的一部分秘密; —

but, I pray you, go away from that plane-tree. —
但求您离开那棵梧桐树。 —

The moon is just bursting through the clouds, and there, standing where you do, and wrapped in that cloak that conceals your figure, you remind me of M. de Villefort.”
月亮正从云层中冲破而出,在你站的位置上,裹在那件遮盖你身形的斗篷里,你让我想起了维尔福先生。”

“What!” cried Monte Cristo, “it was M. de Villefort?”
“什么!”蒙德克里斯托大叫道,“那是维尔福先生?”

“Your excellency knows him?”
“阁下认识他吗?”

“The former royal attorney at Nîmes?”
“前任尼姆皇家律师?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Who married the Marquis of Saint-Méran’s daughter?”
“嫁给了圣梅兰侯爵的女儿?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Who enjoyed the reputation of being the most severe, the most upright, the most rigid magistrate on the bench?”
“谁享有在法庭上最严厉、最正直、最严格的法官的声誉?”

“Well, monsieur,” said Bertuccio, “this man with this spotless reputation——”
“呃,先生,”贝尔图乔说,“这个拥有无可挑剔声誉的人——”

“Well?”
“嗯?”

“Was a villain.”
“却是个恶棍。”

“Bah,” replied Monte Cristo, “impossible!”
“啊,真的吗?”蒙特克里斯托回答,“不可能!”

“It is as I tell you.”
“事情就是我说的。”

“Ah, really,” said Monte Cristo. “Have you proof of this?”
“啊,真的吗?”蒙特克里斯托说,“你有证据吗?”

“I had it.”
“过去曾经有。”

“And you have lost it; how stupid!”
“而你把它弄丢了,真愚蠢!”

“Yes; but by careful search it might be recovered.”
“对,但通过仔细搜寻它或许可以找回来。”

“Really,” returned the count, “relate it to me, for it begins to interest me.”
“真的吗?”伯爵回答道,“把它告诉我吧,我开始感兴趣了。”

And the count, humming an air from Lucia, went to sit down on a bench, while Bertuccio followed him, collecting his thoughts. —
伯爵哼着《露琪亚》的一个曲调,走向一张长凳坐下,而贝尔图乔跟在他后面,整理思绪。 —

Bertuccio remained standing before him.
贝尔图乔站在他面前。