LIZOTCHKA KUDRINSKY, a young married lady who had many admirers, was suddenly taken ill, and so seriously that her husband did not go to his office, and a telegram was sent to her mamma at Tver. This is how she told the story of her illness:
丽佳特卡·库德林斯基,一个年轻已婚的女士,有许多追求者,突然病倒了,病情严重到她的丈夫都没去办公室,还给她在特维尔的妈妈发了一封电报。这是她讲述病情经过的方式:

“I went to Lyesnoe to auntie’s. I stayed there a week and then I went with all the rest to cousin Varya’s. —
“我去了列斯诺看阿姨。我在那里待了一个星期,然后和其他人一起去了瓦利娅表姐家。 —

Varya’s husband is a surly brute and a despot (I’d shoot a husband like that), but we had a very jolly time there. —
瓦利娅的丈夫是个脾气暴躁的暴君(我就会开枪打死那样的丈夫),但在那里我们玩得很开心。 —

To begin with I took part in some private theatricals. It was A Scandal in a Respectable Family. —
我参加了一些私人话剧,演的是“正派家庭的丑闻”。 —

Hrustalev acted marvellously! Between the acts I drank some cold, awfully cold, lemon squash, with the tiniest nip of brandy in it. —
胡斯塔列夫的表现太棒了!中场休息时我喝了一些冰凉的柠檬果汁,里面加了一点点白兰地。 —

Lemon squash with brandy in it is very much like champagne… . I drank it and I felt nothing. —
带白兰地的柠檬果汁很像香槟……我喝了,却没有感觉。 —

Next day after the performance I rode out on horseback with that Adolf Ivanitch. —
第二天演出后,我和那个阿道夫·伊万尼奇一起骑马。 —

It was rather damp and there was a strong wind. It was most likely then that I caught cold. —
天气有点潮湿,刮着强风。很可能就是那时候我着凉了。 —

Three days later I came home to see how my dear, good Vassya was getting on, and while here to get my silk dress, the one that has little flowers on it. —
三天后回到家看看我亲爱的好丈夫瓦西是怎样的,顺便拿我那件有小花图案的丝绸连衣裙。 —

Vassya, of course, I did not find at home. —
当然,我没在家找到瓦西。 —

I went into the kitchen to tell Praskovya to set the samovar, and there I saw on the table some pretty little carrots and turnips like playthings. —
我走进厨房告诉普拉斯科夫亚准备茶炊,然后看到桌子上有一些漂亮的小胡萝卜和萝卜,像玩具一样。 —

I ate one little carrot and well, a turnip too. —
我吃了一小根胡萝卜,还有一个萝卜。 —

I ate very little, but only fancy, I began having a sharp pain at once—spasms … spasms … —
我吃得很少,但是请想象,我立刻感觉到一阵剧痛——痉挛……痉挛…… —

spasms … ah, I am dying. Vassya runs from the office. —
痉挛……啊,我要死了。瓦西从办公室跑过来。 —

Naturally he clutches at his hair and turns white. —
自然地,他抓头发,脸色苍白。 —

They run for the doctor… . Do you understand, I am dying, dying.”
他们为了医生而奔走。。。 你明白吗,我 stā shì zhe, wǒ zhàowài, zhàowài.”

The spasms began at midday, before three o’clock the doctor came, and at six Lizotchka fell asleep and slept soundly till two o’clock in the morning.
痉挛从中午开始,三点前医生就到了,六点莉佐奇卡入睡,一直睡到凌晨两点。

It strikes two… . The light of the little night lamp filters scantily through the pale blue shade. —
敲响了两点钟。。。 小夜灯透过淡蓝色的灯罩勉强地投射出光亮。 —

Lizotchka is lying in bed, her white lace cap stands out sharply against the dark background of the red cushion. —
莉佐奇卡躺在床上,她那白色的蕾丝帽在红色靠垫的深色背景下显得格外鲜艳。 —

Shadows from the blue lamp-shade lie in patterns on her pale face and her round plump shoulders. —
青色灯罩的阴影在她苍白的脸上和丰满的圆肩上呈现出图案。 —

Vassily Stepanovitch is sitting at her feet. —
瓦西里·斯捺帕诺维奇坐在她的脚边。 —

The poor fellow is happy that his wife is at home at last, and at the same time he is terribly alarmed by her illness.
这位可怜的人因为妻子终于回家而感到高兴,但同时也对她的病情深感担忧。

“Well, how do you feel, Lizotchka?” he asks in a whisper, noticing that she is awake.
“莉佐奇卡,你感觉怎么样?”他小声问道,注意到她醒着。

“I am better,” moans Lizotchka. “I don’t feel the spasms now, but there is no sleeping. —
“我好多了,”莉佐奇卡抱怨道。“现在痉挛没了,但就是睡不着。 —

… I can’t get to sleep!”
我睡不着!”

“Isn’t it time to change the compress, my angel?”
“是不是该换换敷布了,我的天使?”

Lizotchka sits up slowly with the expression of a martyr and gracefully turns her head on one side. —
莉佐奇卡缓慢地坐起来,表情像个烈士,优雅地扭动着头。 —

Vassily Stepanovitch with reverent awe, scarcely touching her hot body with his fingers, changes the compress. —
瓦西里·斯捺帕诺维奇带着虔诚的敬畏,几乎只用手指轻轻触摸着她发热的身体,为她换上了敷布。 —

Lizotchka shrinks, laughs at the cold water which tickles her, and lies down again.
莉佐奇卡收缩了一下,被那又凉又刺痛的水逗得笑了起来,然后又躺了下来。

“You are getting no sleep, poor boy!” she moans.
“可怜的孩子,你都没睡觉!”她抱怨着。

“As though I could sleep!”
“仿佛我能入睡!”

“It’s my nerves, Vassya, I am a very nervous woman. —
“我神经很紧张,瓦西亚,我是一个非常神经过敏的女人。” —

The doctor has prescribed for stomach trouble, but I feel that he doesn’t understand my illness. —
“医生给我开了胃药,但我觉得他并不了解我的病情。” —

It’s nerves and not the stomach, I swear that it is my nerves. —
“是神经问题,不是胃的问题,我发誓是我的神经有问题。” —

There is only one thing I am afraid of, that my illness may take a bad turn.”
“我只害怕一件事,就是我的病情可能会恶化。”

“No, Lizotchka, no, to-morrow you will be all right!”
“不,丽佳,不,明天你会好起来的!”

“Hardly likely! I am not afraid for myself… . —
“几乎不太可能!我并不担心自己……” —

I don’t care, indeed, I shall be glad to die, but I am sorry for you! —
“我不在乎,其实我会很高兴死去,但我为你感到难过!” —

You’ll be a widower and left all alone.”
“你会成为鳏夫,独自一人孤孤单单地活着。”

Vassitchka rarely enjoys his wife’s society, and has long been used to solitude, but Lizotchka’s words agitate him.
“瓦西卡很少享受到妻子的陪伴,早就习惯了独处,但丽佳的话让他感到不安。”

“Goodness knows what you are saying, little woman! Why these gloomy thoughts?”
“天晓得你在说什么,小女人!为什么要有这些阴暗的想法?”

“Well, you will cry and grieve, and then you will get used to it. —
“好吧,你会哭会伤心,然后你会习惯的。” —

You’ll even get married again.”
“你甚至会再婚。”

The husband clutches his head.
“丈夫抱着头。”

“There, there, I won’t!” Lizotchka soothes him, “only you ought to be prepared for anything.”
“好了,好了,我不会的!”丽佳安慰他,“只是你应该做好任何准备。”

“And all of a sudden I shall die,” she thinks, shutting her eyes.
“突然间我会死掉,”她想着,闭上了眼睛。

And Lizotchka draws a mental picture of her own death, how her mother, her husband, her cousin Varya with her husband, her relations, the admirers of her “talent” press round her death bed, as she whispers her last farewell. —
莉佐奇卡构想着自己的死亡,她母亲、丈夫、表姐瓦利亚及其丈夫、亲戚们和对她“才华”的崇拜者聚集在她的临终床前,她轻声告别。 —

All are weeping. Then when she is dead they dress her, interestingly pale and dark-haired, in a pink dress (it suits her) and lay her in a very expensive coffin on gold legs, full of flowers. —
人人都哭了。然后当她死去时,他们把她打扮得非常有趣,苍白而黑发,穿着一条粉红色的裙子(非常适合她)放在一个非常昂贵的棺材上,金脚上放满了鲜花。 —

There is a smell of incense, the candles splutter. —
教堂里弥漫着乳香的味道,蜡烛发出噼啪声。 —

Her husband never leaves the coffin, while the admirers of her talent cannot take their eyes off her, and say: —
她丈夫始终不离开棺材,而对她的才华崇拜者们也不离不弃,他们说: —

“As though living! She is lovely in her coffin! —
“仿佛还活着!她在棺材里很美! —

” The whole town is talking of the life cut short so prematurely. —
” 整个城镇都在谈论这个过早结束的生命。 —

But now they are carrying her to the church. —
但现在他们正在抬她去教堂。 —

The bearers are Ivan Petrovitch, Adolf Ivanitch, Varya’s husband, Nikolay Semyonitch, and the black-eyed student who had taught her to drink lemon squash with brandy. —
抬棺者是伊万·彼得罗维奇,阿道夫·伊万尼奇,瓦里娅的丈夫,尼古拉·谢缅诺维奇,以及那位教她喝柠檬苏打水加白兰地的黑眼睛学生。 —

It’s only a pity there’s no music playing. After the burial service comes the leave-taking. —
只可惜没有音乐在播放。葬礼结束后就是告别仪式。 —

The church is full of sobs, they bring the lid with tassels, and … —
教堂里充满了哭声,他们拿来带有流苏的盖子,然后… —

Lizotchka is shut off from the light of day for ever, there is the sound of hammering nails. —
利佐琴卡将永远无法再见到白天的阳光,有锤子敲打钉子的声音。 —

Knock, knock, knock.
咚,咚,咚。

Lizotchka shudders and opens her eyes.
利佐琴卡颤抖着睁开了眼睛。

“Vassya, are you here?” she asks. “I have such gloomy thoughts. —
“瓦西亚,你在这里吗?” 她问道。 “我有很忧郁的想法。 —

Goodness, why am I so unlucky as not to sleep. —
天啊,为什么我如此不幸,睡不着。 —

Vassya, have pity, do tell me something!”
瓦西亚,可怜可怜,给我讲点什么吧!”

“What shall I tell you?”
“我该告诉你些什么呢?”

“Something about love,” Lizotchka says languidly. “Or some anecdote about Jews… .”
利佐琴卡慵懒地说道。“关于爱的事情,或者一些关于犹太人的笑话…”

Vassily Stepanovitch, ready for anything if only his wife will be cheerful and not talk about death, combs locks of hair over his ears, makes an absurd face, and goes up to Lizotchka.
瓦西里·斯捷潘诺维奇,只要妻子开心而不提死亡的话题,就千方百计地梳理耳边的头发,做出荒谬的表情,走到利佐琴卡身边。

“Does your vatch vant mending?” he asks.
“你的手表需要修理吗?” 他问道。

“It does, it does,” giggles Lizotchka, and hands him her gold watch from the little table. “Mend it.”
“是的,是的,” 利佐琴卡咯咯地笑着,从小桌子上递给他她的金表。“修理吧。”

Vassya takes the watch, examines the mechanism for a long time, and wriggling and shrugging, says: —
瓦茨亚接过表,长时间检查机制,扭动着身体,耸耸肩,说道: —

“She can not be mended … in vun veel two cogs are vanting… .”
“她修不好……有两个轮齿缺失……”

This is the whole performance. Lizotchka laughs and claps her hands.
这就是整个表演。丽佐卡笑着拍手。

“Capital,” she exclaims. “Wonderful. —
“太棒了!”她叫道。“太神奇了。” —

Do you know, Vassya, it’s awfully stupid of you not to take part in amateur theatricals! —
你知道吗,瓦茨亚,你不参加业余戏剧实在太愚蠢了! —

You have a remarkable talent! You are much better than Sysunov. —
你有着非凡的天赋!比斯尼索诺夫要好得多。 —

There was an amateur called Sysunov who played with us in It’s My Birthday. —
有个叫斯尼索诺夫的业余演员和我们一起出演《今天是我的生日》。 —

A first- class comic talent, only fancy: —
一个一流的喜剧天赋,你猜: —

a nose as thick as a parsnip, green eyes, and he walks like a crane… . —
一个鼻子像欧洲防风草一样粗的鼻子,绿绿的眼睛,走起路来像只鹤…… —

We all roared; stay, I will show you how he walks.”
我们都笑翻了;等会儿,我给你看他走路的样子。”

Lizotchka springs out of bed and begins pacing about the floor, barefooted and without her cap.
丽佐卡从床上跳起来,光着脚,没有帽子,在地板上踱来踱去。

“A very good day to you!” she says in a bass, imitating a man’s voice. —
“你好!”她用男人的声音说道。 —

“Anything pretty? Anything new under the moon? —
“有什么漂亮的东西吗?月亮下有什么新鲜事吗? —

Ha, ha, ha!” she laughs.
哈哈哈!”她笑着。

“Ha, ha, ha!” Vassya seconds her. And the young pair, roaring with laughter, forgetting the illness, chase one another about the room. —
“哈哈哈!”瓦茨亚跟着她。年轻的一对,笑得前仰后合,忘记了疾病,在房间里追逐对方。 —

The race ends in Vassya’s catching his wife by her nightgown and eagerly showering kisses upon her. —
比赛在瓦西亚用睡袍抓住妻子并兴奋地亲吻她结束。 —

After one particularly passionate embrace Lizotchka suddenly remembers that she is seriously ill… .
在一次特别激情的拥抱之后,莉佐琴突然想起自己病得很严重……

“What silliness!” she says, making a serious face and covering herself with the quilt. —
“多么愚蠢!”她说着,一脸严肃地用被子裹住自己。 —

“I suppose you have forgotten that I am ill! —
“我想你已经忘记了我病了!” —

Clever, I must say!”
“聪明伶俐,我必须说!”

“Sorry …” falters her husband in confusion.
“抱歉……”她丈夫困惑地支支吾吾。

“If my illness takes a bad turn it will be your fault. Not kind! not good!”
“如果我的病情恶化,那将是你的错。不善良!不好!”

Lizotchka closes her eyes and is silent. Her former languor and expression of martyrdom return again, there is a sound of gentle moans. —
莉佐琴闭上眼睛沉默了。她先前的倦怠和烈火化身的表情再次回来,传来轻微的呻吟声。 —

Vassya changes the compress, and glad that his wife is at home and not gadding off to her aunt’s, sits meekly at her feet. —
瓦西亚换了一次敷,心满意足地感到妻子在家而不是到姨妈那里去了,乖乖地坐在她脚边。 —

He does not sleep all night. At ten o’clock the doctor comes.
他整晚都没有睡着。十点钟,医生来了。

“Well, how are we feeling?” he asks as he takes her pulse. “Have you slept?”
“我们感觉怎么样?”他拿着患者的脉搏问道。“睡了吗?”

“Badly,” Lizotchka’s husband answers for her, “very badly.”
“糟透了,”莉佐琴的丈夫代表她回答说,”非常不好。”

The doctor walks away to the window and stares at a passing chimney- sweep.
医生走到窗边盯着一个路过的扫黑烟囱的人。

“Doctor, may I have coffee to-day?” asks Lizotchka.
“医生,今天可以喝咖啡吗?”莉佐琴问。

“You may.”
“可以。”

“And may I get up?”
“我可以起床吗?”

“You might, perhaps, but … you had better lie in bed another day.”
“也许吧,但是… 你最好再躺一天床上。”

“She is awfully depressed,” Vassya whispers in his ear, “such gloomy thoughts, such pessimism. —
“她情绪非常低落,” 瓦西娅在他耳边轻声说道,“充满悲观的想法。” —

I am dreadfully uneasy about her.”
“我非常担心她。”

The doctor sits down to the little table, and rubbing his forehead, prescribes bromide of potassium for Lizotchka, then makes his bow, and promising to look in again in the evening, departs. —
医生坐在小桌子旁,揉着额头,为丽佐卡开了苦味溴化钾的处方,然后行了礼,承诺晚上再过来看看,就离开了。 —

Vassya does not go to the office, but sits all day at his wife’s feet.
瓦西娅没有去办公室,整天坐在妻子脚边。

At midday the admirers of her talent arrive in a crowd. —
中午时分,她的才华赏识者们蜂拥而至。 —

They are agitated and alarmed, they bring masses of flowers and French novels. —
他们焦躁不安又惊慌,带来了大量的鲜花和法国小说。 —

Lizotchka, in a snow-white cap and a light dressing jacket, lies in bed with an enigmatic look, as though she did not believe in her own recovery. —
莉佐奇穿着雪白便帽和浅色睡袍躺在床上,一副神秘的表情,仿佛不相信自己能康复。 —

The admirers of her talent see her husband, but readily forgive his presence: —
崇拜她才华的人看到她的丈夫,但很快原谅了他的存在:他们和他在床边面对同一场灾难! —

they and he are united by one calamity at that bedside!
他们和他在床边面对同一场灾难!

At six o’clock in the evening Lizotchka falls asleep, and again sleeps till two o’clock in the morning. —
晚上六点,莉佐奇入睡,直到凌晨两点再次醒来。 —

Vassya as before sits at her feet, struggles with drowsiness, changes her compress, plays at being a Jew, and in the morning after a second night of suffering, Liza is prinking before the looking-glass and putting on her hat.
瓦西亚仍然坐在她的脚边,与困意搏斗,换上湿毛巾,假装成犹太人,第二个夜晚过后,莉扎在镜子前打扮,带上帽子。

“Wherever are you going, my dear?” asks Vassya, with an imploring look at her.
“亲爱的,你要去哪里?”瓦西亚问她,带着乞求的眼神。

“What?” says Lizotchka in wonder, assuming a scared expression, “don’t you know that there is a rehearsal to-day at Marya Lvovna’s?”
“什么?”莉佐奇惊讶地说,表情惊恐,“难道你不知道今天需要排练在玛丽亚·利沃夫娜那里吗?”

After escorting her there, Vassya having nothing to do to while away his boredom, takes his portfolio and goes to the office. —
送她去那里后,瓦西亚无聊无事可做,拿起文件夹去了办公室。 —

His head aches so violently from his sleepless nights that his left eye shuts of itself and refuses to open… .
他因连续两个失眠的晚上而头痛欲裂,他的左眼自己闭上,不肯睁开……

“What’s the matter with you, my good sir?” his chief asks him. “What is it?”
“你怎么了,先生?”上司问他,“怎么了?”

Vassya waves his hand and sits down.
瓦西亚摆摆手,坐下。

“Don’t ask me, your Excellency,” he says with a sigh. —
“别问我,阁下,”他叹了口气道。 —

“What I have suffered in these two days, what I have suffered! —
“这两天我受了多大的苦啊!莉扎病了!” —

Liza has been ill!”
莉扎病了!

“Good heavens,” cried his chief in alarm. “Lizaveta Pavlovna, what is wrong with her?”
“我的天哪,”他的上司惊慌地喊道。“丽扎维塔·帕夫洛芙娜,她怎么了?”

Vassily Stepanovitch merely throws up his hands and raises his eyes to the ceiling, as though he would say: —
瓦西里·斯捷潘诺维奇只是举起双手,抬起眼睛看着天花板,仿佛在说: —

“It’s the will of Providence.”
“这是上帝的旨意。”

“Ah, my boy, I can sympathise with you with all my heart!” sighs his chief, rolling his eyes. —
“啊,我的孩子,我全心同情你!”他的上司叹息着,转动着眼珠。 —

“I’ve lost my wife, my dear, I understand. That is a loss, it is a loss! —
“我失去了我的妻子,亲爱的,我理解。那是一个损失,是一个损失!太可怕了,太可怕了!我希望丽扎维塔·帕夫洛芙娜现在好些了! —

It’s awful, awful! I hope Lizaveta Pavlovna is better now! —
她看哪位医生?” —

What doctor is attending her?”
“冯·谢尔特。”

“Von Schterk.”
“冯·谢尔特!但你最好找马格努斯或谢曼德里茨基。”

“Von Schterk! But you would have been better to have called in Magnus or Semandritsky. —
“但你最好找马格努斯或谢曼德里茨基。但你最好找马格努斯或谢曼德里茨基。 —

But how very pale your face is. You are ill yourself! This is awful!”
但你最好找马格努斯或谢曼德里茨基。但你最好找马格努斯或谢曼德里茨基。

“Yes, your Excellency, I haven’t slept. What I have suffered, what I have been through!”
“冯·谢尔特!但你最好找马格努斯或谢曼德里茨基。”

“And yet you came! Why you came I can’t understand? One can’t force oneself like that! —
“啊,你的阁下,我一夜没睡。我受了多大的煎熬,经历了什么!” —

One mustn’t do oneself harm like that. Go home and stay there till you are well again! —
“但你来了!为什么你来了我不理解?一个人是不能强迫自己的! —

Go home, I command you! Zeal is a very fine thing in a young official, but you mustn’t forget as the Romans used to say: —
一个人是不能强迫自己的!一个人是不能强迫自己的! 一定要照顾好自己。回家吧,直到你恢复健康为止! —

‘mens sana in corpore sano,’ that is, a healthy brain in a healthy body.”
“回家, 我命令你!热忱是年轻官员身上的好品质,但不要忘记罗马人说过的:

Vassya agrees, puts his papers back in his portfolio, and, taking leave of his chief, goes home to bed.
瓦西亚同意了,把文件放回文件夹,向他的上司告别后,回家去睡觉。