ILYA SERGEITCH PEPLOV and his wife Kleopatra Petrovna were standing at the door, listening greedily. —
伊利亚·谢尔盖奇·佩普洛夫和他的妻子克莉奥帕特拉·彼得罗芙娜站在门口,贪婪地听着。 —

On the other side in the little drawing- room a love scene was apparently taking place between two persons: —
在小客厅的另一边,显然正在上演一场爱情戏码,参与者是两个人:他们的女儿娜塔什卡和一位名叫什丘普金的区域学校老师。 —

their daughter Natashenka and a teacher of the district school, called Shchupkin.
“他起来了!”佩普洛夫颤抖着迫不及待地说,揉着手。

“He’s rising!” whispered Peplov, quivering with impatience and rubbing his hands. —
“克莉奥帕特拉,记住;一旦他们开始谈论自己的感情,从墙上取下圣像,我们就进去为他们祝福。 —

“Now, Kleopatra, mind; as soon as they begin talking of their feelings, take down the ikon from the wall and we’ll go in and bless them. —
“… 我们会捉住他的… 用圣像祝福是神圣而有约束力的… —

… We’ll catch him… . A blessing with an ikon is sacred and binding… —
他逃不掉,即使把这件事带到法庭上也不行。” —

He couldn’t get out of it, if he brought it into court.”
他逃不掉,即使把这件事带到法庭上也不行。”

On the other side of the door this was the conversation:
在门的另一边,对话如下:

“Don’t go on like that!” said Shchupkin, striking a match against his checked trousers. —
“别这样说!”舒普金用格子裤子上的火柴点燃了火。 —

“I never wrote you any letters!”
“我从没给你写过信!”

“I like that! As though I didn’t know your writing! —
“这话说得好!我又不认不出你的字! —

” giggled the girl with an affected shriek, continually peeping at herself in the glass. —
”女孩儿咯咯地笑着,一边不停地在镜子里瞄着自己。 —

“I knew it at once! And what a queer man you are! —
“我一眼就认出来了!你可真是个怪人! —

You are a writing master, and you write like a spider! —
你是书法师,你写字却像只蜘蛛! —

How can you teach writing if you write so badly yourself?”
你自己写得这么糟糕,怎么能教别人写字?”

“H’m! … That means nothing. The great thing in writing lessons is not the hand one writes, but keeping the boys in order. —
“嗯……这没什么。写作课最重要的不是字迹,而是要管好男孩们。 —

You hit one on the head with a ruler, make another kneel down… . —
用尺子敲一个,让另一个跪下……。 —

Besides, there’s nothing in handwriting! —
况且,字迹不重要! —

Nekrassov was an author, but his handwriting’s a disgrace, there’s a specimen of it in his collected works.”
尼克拉索夫就是作者,但他的字迹糟糕透顶,在他的作品集里有一篇样张。”

“You are not Nekrassov… .” (A sigh). —
“你不是尼克拉索夫……”(一声叹息)。 —

“I should love to marry an author. He’d always be writing poems to me.”
“我可愿意嫁给一个作者。他总会给我写诗。”

“I can write you a poem, too, if you like.”
“如果你愿意,我也可以给你写一首诗。”

“What can you write about?”
“你能写些什么?”

“Love—passion—your eyes. You’ll be crazy when you read it. —
“爱情-激情-你的眼睛。当你读到它时,你会发疯。” —

It would draw a tear from a stone! And if I write you a real poem, will you let me kiss your hand?”
“它会让一块石头掉泪!如果我写给你一首真正的诗,你会让我亲吻你的手吗?”

“That’s nothing much! You can kiss it now if you like.”
“那没什么!如果你愿意,现在就可以亲吻。”

Shchupkin jumped up, and making sheepish eyes, bent over the fat little hand that smelt of egg soap.
令人讨厌地眨了眨眼睛,低头凑上那只散发鸡蛋皂味的胖手。

“Take down the ikon,” Peplov whispered in a fluster, pale with excitement, and buttoning his coat as he prodded his wife with his elbow. —
“取下圣像,”佩普洛夫兴奋地苍白着脸,一边在扣上外套,一边用肘部戳着妻子 s。 —

“Come along, now!”
“现在走吧!”

And without a second’s delay Peplov flung open the door.
佩普洛夫毫不犹豫地推开门。

“Children,” he muttered, lifting up his arms and blinking tearfully, “the Lord bless you, my children. —
“孩子们,”他提起手臂,泪眼朦胧地说,“愿主保佑你们,我的孩子们。 —

May you live—be fruitful—and multiply.”
你们生活-多子多孙。”

“And—and I bless you, too,” the mamma brought out, crying with happiness. —
“我也祝福你们,”妈妈哽咽着说。 —

“May you be happy, my dear ones! Oh, you are taking from me my only treasure! —
“愿你们幸福,我亲爱的!噢,你们正在从我手中带走我的唯一财宝! —

” she said to Shchupkin. “Love my girl, be good to her… .”
”她对斯楚普金说。“爱我的女儿,对她好……”

Shchupkin’s mouth fell open with amazement and alarm. —
斯楚普金惊讶而惊慌,张大了嘴,无法说出一句话。 —

The parents’ attack was so bold and unexpected that he could not utter a single word.
父母的攻击如此大胆而意外,以至于他无法说出一句话。

“I’m in for it! I’m spliced!” he thought, going limp with horror. —
“我完蛋了!我完蛋了!”他惊恐地想到,顿时一阵软瘫。 —

“It’s all over with you now, my boy! —
“你现在完蛋了,我的孩子!没有逃脱的机会了!” —

There’s no escape!”
“无路可逃!”

And he bowed his head submissively, as though to say, “Take me, I’m vanquished.”
他低头顺从地说,仿佛在说:“抓我吧,我已被征服。”

“Ble-blessings on you,” the papa went on, and he, too, shed tears. —
“上帝保佑你!”爸爸继续说着,也流下了眼泪。 —

“Natashenka, my daughter, stand by his side. —
“娜塔丽娜,我的女儿,站在他身边。” —

Kleopatra, give me the ikon.”
“克莉奥帕特拉,把圣像给我。”

But at this point the father suddenly left off weeping, and his face was contorted with anger.
但就在这时,父亲突然不再哭泣,愤怒地扭曲了脸庞。

“You ninny!” he said angrily to his wife. “You are an idiot! Is that the ikon?”
“你这个傻瓜!”他生气地对妻子说道。“你真是个白痴!那算什么圣像?”

“Ach, saints alive!”
“啊,天呐!”

What had happened? The writing master raised himself and saw that he was saved; —
究竟发生了什么?书法教师站了起来,发现自己得救了; —

in her flutter the mamma had snatched from the wall the portrait of Lazhetchnikov, the author, in mistake for the ikon. —
在母亲慌乱中,她慌忙从墙上抓下了拉热奇尼科夫的肖像画,错把它当成了圣像。 —

Old Peplov and his wife stood disconcerted in the middle of the room, holding the portrait aloft, not knowing what to do or what to say. —
老佩普洛夫和他的妻子站在房间中间,手里举着肖像,感到困惑不解,不知道该做什么或说什么。 —

The writing master took advantage of the general confusion and slipped away.
书法教师趁着大家混乱的时候溜走了。