A FINE carriage with rubber tyres, a fat coachman, and velvet on the seats, rolled up to the house of a landowner called Gryabov. —
一辆装有橡胶轮胎、坐着一个肥胖教练,并且座位上铺着天鹅绒的华丽马车停在一个名叫格里亚博夫的地主家门前。 —

Fyodor Andreitch Otsov, the district Marshal of Nobility, jumped out of the carriage. —
封号为贵族警察局长的费奥多尔·安德烈埃维奇·奥特索夫从马车里跳了出来。 —

A drowsy footman met him in the hall.
一个昏昏欲睡的仆人在大厅里迎接他。

“Are the family at home?” asked the Marshal.
“家里有人吗?”警察局长问。

“No, sir. The mistress and the children are gone out paying visits, while the master and mademoiselle are catching fish. —
“不在家,先生。夫人和孩子出去拜访了,而主人和小姐在钓鱼。整个上午都在钓鱼,先生。” —

Fishing all the morning, sir.”
奥特索夫站了片刻,思考了片刻,然后去河边找格里亚博夫。

Otsov stood a little, thought a little, and then went to the river to look for Gryabov. —
奥特索夫在河边找到了格里亚博夫。 —

Going down to the river he found him a mile and a half from the house. —
他走到河边,发现他离房子里有一英里半远。 —

Looking down from the steep bank and catching sight of Gryabov, Otsov gushed with laughter… . —
从陡峭的河岸上往下看,看到格里亚博夫,奥特索夫高兴地笑了起来…… —

Gryabov, a large stout man, with a very big head, was sitting on the sand, angling, with his legs tucked under him like a Turk. His hat was on the back of his head and his cravat had slipped on one side. —
格里亚博夫是一个高大笨拙的人,头很大,坐在沙滩上,像个土耳其人一样,双腿蜷缩在身下。他的帽子戴在脑后,领带偏到了一边。 —

Beside him stood a tall thin Englishwoman, with prominent eyes like a crab’s, and a big bird-like nose more like a hook than a nose. —
他旁边站着一位身材高瘦的英国女人,眼睛鼓鼓地突出,像螃蟹一样,一张比鼻子还像钩子的尖尖的大鼻子。 —

She was dressed in a white muslin gown through which her scraggy yellow shoulders were very distinctly apparent. —
她穿着一件白色的细纱长裙,让人看得很清楚她瘦削的黄色肩膀。 —

On her gold belt hung a little gold watch. She too was angling. —
她的金色腰带上挂着一只小金表。她也在钓鱼。 —

The stillness of the grave reigned about them both. —
他们周围一片死寂。 —

Both were motionless, as the river upon which their floats were swimming.
两人都一动不动,就像漂浮在他们之上的河水一样静止。

“A desperate passion, but deadly dull!” laughed Otsov. “Good-day, Ivan Kuzmitch.”
“绝望的激情,但死气沉沉!”奥特索夫笑道。“伊万·库兹米奇,你好。”

“Ah … is that you?” asked Gryabov, not taking his eyes off the water. “Have you come?”
“啊,是你吗?”格里亚博夫问道,目不转睛地盯着水面。“你来了?”

“As you see … . And you are still taken up with your crazy nonsense! Not given it up yet?”
“正如你所见……你还在忙于你那荒唐的胡说八道!还没有放弃吗?”

“The devil’s in it… . I begin in the morning and fish all day … . —
“该死的……我早上开始钓鱼,整天都无聊至极……” —

The fishing is not up to much to-day. I’ve caught nothing and this dummy hasn’t either. —
今天的钓鱼运气不是很好。我什么也没钓到,这个假鱼也一样。 —

We sit on and on and not a devil of a fish! I could scream!”
我们就这样坐着,一条鱼都不上钩!我都快急疯了!

“Well, chuck it up then. Let’s go and have some vodka!”
“那就算了吧。我们去喝点伏特加吧!”

“Wait a little, maybe we shall catch something. Towards evening the fish bite better … . —
“稍等一下,也许我们会钓到什么。傍晚时分鱼会咬得更好……” —

I’ve been sitting here, my boy, ever since the morning! —
我从早上就坐在这里,小子! —

I can’t tell you how fearfully boring it is. It was the devil drove me to take to this fishing! —
我无法告诉你这是多么无聊。简直是魔鬼逼着我去钓鱼! —

I know that it is rotten idiocy for me to sit here. —
我知道坐在这里纯粹是愚蠢无比。 —

I sit here like some scoundrel, like a convict, and I stare at the water like a fool. —
我坐在这里就像个无赖,像个囚犯,像个傻瓜一样盯着水面。 —

I ought to go to the haymaking, but here I sit catching fish. —
我应该去干草,但我却坐在这里钓鱼。 —

Yesterday His Holiness held a service at Haponyevo, but I didn’t go. —
昨天,教座在哈波涅沃举行了一次仪式,但我没有去。 —

I spent the day here with this … with this she-devil.”
我今天和这个…这个恶魔一起度过了一天。

“But … have you taken leave of your senses? —
“可是…你是不是失去理智了? —

” asked Otsov, glancing in embarrassment at the Englishwoman. —
”奥特索夫尴尬地看着那位英国女士问道。 —

“Using such language before a lady and she … .”
“在一个女士面前说这种话…”

“Oh, confound her, it doesn’t matter, she doesn’t understand a syllable of Russian, whether you praise her or blame her, it is all the same to her! —
“啊,让她见鬼去吧,无所谓了,她听不懂一丁点俄语,无论你夸她还是责骂她,对她来说都一样! —

Just look at her nose! Her nose alone is enough to make one faint. —
光是看她的鼻子就足以让人晕倒。 —

We sit here for whole days together and not a single word! —
我们整天都坐在一起,她一个字都不说! —

She stands like a stuffed image and rolls the whites of her eyes at the water.”
她就像一个木偶一样站在那里,瞪着眼珠看着水。”

The Englishwoman gave a yawn, put a new worm on, and dropped the hook into the water.
英国女士打了个哈欠,换了一条新的鱼饵,然后把鱼钩放进水里。

“I wonder at her not a little,” Gryabov went on, “the great stupid has been living in Russia for ten years and not a word of Russian! —
“我对她真是不可思议,这个大笨蛋在俄罗斯已经住了十年,一句俄语都不会说! —

… Any little aristocrat among us goes to them and learns to babble away in their lingo, while they . —
…我们这里的任何小贵族孩子去找他们学会了他们的术语,而他们… —

. . there’s no making them out. Just look at her nose, do look at her nose!”
…他们真是无法理解。快看看她的鼻子,看看她的鼻子吧!”

“Come, drop it … it’s uncomfortable. Why attack a woman?”
“别提了…这令人难受。为什么要攻击一个女人呢?”

“She’s not a woman, but a maiden lady… . I bet she’s dreaming of suitors. The ugly doll. —
“她不是一个女人,而是一个老处女…我打赌她在想着求婚者。这个丑陋的娃娃。 —

And she smells of something decaying … . I’ve got a loathing for her, my boy! —
她身上还有一股腐烂的气味…我对她感到厌恶,我的朋友! —

I can’t look at her with indifference. —
我无法漠视她。 —

When she turns her ugly eyes on me it sends a twinge all through me as though I had knocked my elbow on the parapet. —
当她用丑陋的目光看着我时,我感到一阵刺痛,仿佛我在把胳膊撞在护栏上。 —

She likes fishing too. Watch her: she fishes as though it were a holy rite! —
她也喜欢钓鱼。看她:她钓鱼的样子好像在进行一场神圣的仪式! —

She looks upon everything with disdain … . —
她把一切都看得不屑一顾… . —

She stands there, the wretch, and is conscious that she is a human being, and that therefore she is the monarch of nature. —
她站在那里,这个可怜虫,意识到自己是一个人类,因此她是大自然的君主。 —

And do you know what her name is? Wilka Charlesovna Fyce! —
你知道她叫什么名字吗?威尔卡·查尔斯诺娃·费斯! —

Tfoo! There is no getting it out!”
呸!根本就挤不出来!”

The Englishwoman, hearing her name, deliberately turned her nose in Gryabov’s direction and scanned him with a disdainful glance; —
就在格林博夫提到她的名字时,这位英国女士故意把鼻子转向了格里亚博夫,用轻蔑的眼神打量了他一番。 —

she raised her eyes from Gryabov to Otsov and steeped him in disdain. —
她把目光从格里亚博夫身上移到奥特索夫身上,洋洋得意地看着他。 —

And all this in silence, with dignity and deliberation.
所有这一切都是无声的,带着尊严和慎重。

“Did you see?” said Gryabov chuckling. “As though to say ‘take that.’ Ah, you monster! —
“你看见了吗?”格林博夫笑着说。“好像在说‘吃我一击吧’。”啊,你这个怪物! —

It’s only for the children’s sake that I keep that triton. —
只是为了孩子们才让那个三叉戟接近她。 —

If it weren’t for the children, I wouldn’t let her come within ten miles of my estate… . —
如果不是为了孩子们,我不会让她靠近我的领地十英里之内… . —

She has got a nose like a hawk’s … and her figure! —
她鹰一样的鼻子… 还有她的身材! —

That doll makes me think of a long nail, so I could take her, and knock her into the ground, you know. —
那个娃娃让我想到一根长钉,所以我可以把她扎进地里,你知道的。 —

Stay, I believe I have got a bite… .”
留着,我相信我钓上了一条鱼… .”

Gryabov jumped up and raised his rod. The line drew taut… . —
格里亚博夫跳起来,抬起他的钓竿… . —

Gryabov tugged again, but could not pull out the hook.
格里亚博夫再次用力拉扯,但无法拔出鱼钩.

“It has caught,” he said, frowning, “on a stone I expect … damnation take it … .”
“被卡住了,”他皱着眉说道,“可能是卡在石头上了… . 该死… .”

There was a look of distress on Gryabov’s face. —
格里亚博夫的脸上露出了一丝痛苦之色. —

Sighing, moving uneasily, and muttering oaths, he began tugging at the line.
叹了口气,不安地移动着,并喃喃自语着他开始拉扯钓线.

“What a pity; I shall have to go into the water.”
“真可惜; 我得下水了.”

“Oh, chuck it!”
“哦,算了吧!”

“I can’t… . There’s always good fishing in the evening… . What a nuisance. —
“我不能… . 晚上总是有好钓鱼的机会… . 唉,真是麻烦. —

Lord, forgive us, I shall have to wade into the water, I must! —
主啊,原谅我们,我得涉水而过,我必须! —

And if only you knew, I have no inclination to undress. —
而且你知道的,我没有兴致脱衣服. —

I shall have to get rid of the Englishwoman… . —
我得摆脱这个英国女人… . —

It’s awkward to undress before her. After all, she is a lady, you know!”
在她面前脱衣服太尴尬了。毕竟,她是位淑女,你知道的!”

Gryabov flung off his hat, and his cravat.
格里亚博夫扔掉了他的帽子和领带.

“Meess … er, er …” he said, addressing the Englishwoman, “Meess Fyce, je voo pree . . —
“夫人… .”他对着那位英国女士说道,“Fyce夫人,请… .” —

. ? Well, what am I to say to her? How am I to tell you so that you can understand? —
嗯,我应该怎样对她说呢?我该怎样告诉你才能让你明白呢? —

I say … over there! Go away over there! Do you hear?”
我说……那边!走开那边!你听到了吗?

Miss Fyce enveloped Gryabov in disdain, and uttered a nasal sound.
费斯小姐饱含蔑视地看着格里亚博夫,发出了一声鼻音。

“What? Don’t you understand? Go away from here, I tell you! —
“什么?你不明白吗?我告诉你从这里走开! —

I must undress, you devil’s doll! Go over there! Over there!”
我得脱衣服,你这个恶魔的玩偶!去那边!那边去!

Gryabov pulled the lady by her sleeve, pointed her towards the bushes, and made as though he would sit down, as much as to say: —
格里亚博夫拉住女士的袖子,指向灌木丛,仿佛要坐下去,就好像是说: —

Go behind the bushes and hide yourself there… . —
去灌木丛后面躲起来吧……。 —

The Englishwoman, moving her eyebrows vigorously, uttered rapidly a long sentence in English. —
那位英国女士活动着她的眉毛,迅速说了一句长长的英语句子。 —

The gentlemen gushed with laughter.
男士们笑得开心起来。

“It’s the first time in my life I’ve heard her voice. —
“这是我有生以来第一次听到她的声音。 —

There’s no denying, it is a voice! She does not understand! —
这是毋庸置疑的,是一个声音!她不明白! —

Well, what am I to do with her?”
好吧,我该怎么办呢?

“Chuck it, let’s go and have a drink of vodka!”
“算了吧,我们去喝点伏特加吧!”

“I can’t. Now’s the time to fish, the evening… . It’s evening … . —
“我不能。现在是垂钓的好时机,傍晚……是夜晚……。 —

Come, what would you have me do? It is a nuisance! —
来吧,你想要我怎么做?这真是个麻烦! —

I shall have to undress before her… .”
我将不得不在她面前脱衣服…..

Gryabov flung off his coat and his waistcoat and sat on the sand to take off his boots.
格里亚博夫脱掉外套和马甲,坐在沙滩上脱掉靴子。

“I say, Ivan Kuzmitch,” said the marshal, chuckling behind his hand. —
“伊万·库兹米奇,我说,”元帅笑着低声说。 —

“It’s really outrageous, an insult.”
“这真是太过分了,一种侮辱。”

“Nobody asks her not to understand! It’s a lesson for these foreigners!”
“没人要求她不理解!这对那些外国人是个教训!”

Gryabov took off his boots and his trousers, flung off his undergarments and remained in the costume of Adam. Otsov held his sides, he turned crimson both from laughter and embarrassment. —
格里亚博夫脱掉靴子和裤子,扔掉了衬裤,只穿着亚当的装束。奥茨佛捂着肚子,又气又尴尬,变成了绯红。 —

The Englishwoman twitched her brows and blinked … . —
这位英国女士皱了皱眉,眨了眨眼睛…… —

A haughty, disdainful smile passed over her yellow face.
她那黄色的脸上露出一丝傲慢、轻蔑的微笑。

“I must cool off,” said Gryabov, slapping himself on the ribs. —
“我必须冷静一下,”格里亚博夫拍了拍自己的肋骨。 —

“Tell me if you please, Fyodor Andreitch, why I have a rash on my chest every summer.”
“请告诉我,费奥多尔·安德烈耶维奇,为什么我每年夏天胸口上都会长疹子。”

“Oh, do get into the water quickly or cover yourself with something, you beast.”
“哦,快点下水或者用什么东西盖住自己,你这畜生。”

“And if only she were confused, the nasty thing,” said Gryabov, crossing himself as he waded into the water. —
“要是她局促不安就好了,这讨厌的家伙,”格里亚博夫说着,一边涉入水中,一边交叉着双臂。 —

“Brrrr … the water’s cold… . Look how she moves her eyebrows! She doesn’t go away . . —
“哎呀….水好冷……看,她怎么动眉动眼的!她不离开…..” —

. she is far above the crowd! He, he, he … . —
“她远远高出众人之上!嘿,嘿,嘿…..” —

and she doesn’t reckon us as human beings.”
“她甚至不把我们当作人类。”

Wading knee deep in the water and drawing his huge figure up to its full height, he gave a wink and said:
深深踏入水中,挺起他高大的身影,眨了眨眼说道:

“This isn’t England, you see!”
“你看,这里不是英国!”

Miss Fyce coolly put on another worm, gave a yawn, and dropped the hook in. —
菲斯小姐冷静地再钓上一条虫子,打了个哈欠,又将鱼钩放了下去。 —

Otsov turned away, Gryabov released his hook, ducked into the water and, spluttering, waded out. —
奥特索夫转身离开,格里亚博夫放开鱼钩,扑通一声钻进水里,啊呜一声,蹚着水走出来。 —

Two minutes later he was sitting on the sand and angling as before.
两分钟后,他又坐在沙滩上,像以前一样在垂钓。