SASHA SMIRNOV, the only son of his mother, holding under his arm, something wrapped up in No. 223 of the Financial News, assumed a sentimental expression, and went into Dr. Koshelkov’s consulting-room.
沙夏·斯米尔诺夫,他母亲的独生子,抱着Financial News第223期里包着的东西,脸上带着感伤的表情,走进了科舍尔科夫医生的诊室。

“Ah, dear lad!” was how the doctor greeted him. “Well! —
“啊,亲爱的孩子!”医生这样招呼他。“好了! —

how are we feeling? What good news have you for me?”
我们感觉怎么样?你有什么好消息给我?”

Sasha blinked, laid his hand on his heart and said in an agitated voice: —
沙夏眨了眨眼,把手放在心口,用激动的声音说道: —

“Mamma sends her greetings to you, Ivan Nikolaevitch, and told me to thank you… . —
“妈妈向你问候,伊万·尼古拉耶维奇,并让我代她向你道谢…… —

I am the only son of my mother and you have saved my life … —
我是我母亲的独生子,你曾拯救了我的生命…… —

you have brought me through a dangerous illness and … —
你让我度过了一场危险的疾病……” —

we do not know how to thank you.”
我们不知道该如何感谢你。”

“Nonsense, lad!” said the doctor, highly delighted. —
“胡说,小伙子!”医生高兴地说道。 —

“I only did what anyone else would have done in my place.”
“我只是做了在我位置上任何人都会做的事。”

“I am the only son of my mother … we are poor people and cannot of course repay you, and we are quite ashamed, doctor, although, however, mamma and I . —
“我是我母亲的独生子…我们是贫穷的人,当然无法报答您,我们感到很羞愧,医生,虽然,无论如何,妈妈和我…” —

. . the only son of my mother, earnestly beg you to accept in token of our gratitude … —
“…我母亲的独生子,我们恳切地请求您接受,作为我们的感激之情的象征…” —

this object, which … An object of great value, an antique bronze. —
这个物品,其中…一个非常有价值的古董铜器。 —

… A rare work of art.”
“一件珍稀的艺术品。”

“You shouldn’t!” said the doctor, frowning. “What’s this for!”
“你不应该!”医生皱着眉头说道。“这是什么原因!”

“No, please do not refuse,” Sasha went on muttering as he unpacked the parcel. —
“不要拒绝,”萨莎边说边打开包裹。 —

“You will wound mamma and me by refusing… . It’s a fine thing … an antique bronze… —
“你拒绝会伤害我和妈妈…这是一件好东西…一个古董铜器…” —

. It was left us by my deceased father and we have kept it as a precious souvenir. —
“它是我已故父亲留给我们的,我们一直保留着它作为珍贵的纪念品。” —

My father used to buy antique bronzes and sell them to connoisseurs . . —
我父亲曾经买古董铜器并卖给行家们… —

. Mamma and I keep on the business now.”
现在这项生意由我和妈妈继续进行。”

Sasha undid the object and put it solemnly on the table. —
萨莎打开物品,郑重地放在桌子上。 —

It was a not very tall candelabra of old bronze and artistic workmanship. It consisted of a group: —
它是一座不太高的古老铜质烛台,制作精美。它由一个群组成: —

on the pedestal stood two female figures in the costume of Eve and in attitudes for the description of which I have neither the courage nor the fitting temperament. —
在基座上站着两个女性身穿夏娃服装的雕像,她们的姿态描述出来我既没有勇气也没有适当的气质。 —

The figures were smiling coquettishly and altogether looked as though, had it not been for the necessity of supporting the candlestick, they would have skipped off the pedestal and have indulged in an orgy such as is improper for the reader even to imagine.
这两个雕像媚笑着,看起来仿佛如果不是需要支撑蜡烛台,她们就会从基座上跳下来,沉溺于一场不宜想象的狂欢。

Looking at the present, the doctor slowly scratched behind his ear, cleared his throat and blew his nose irresolutely.
医生看着那件礼物,慢慢地抓着耳朵后面,清了清嗓子,犹豫地擤了一下鼻涕。

“Yes, it certainly is a fine thing,” he muttered, “but … how shall I express it? … —
“是的,这确实是一件好东西,”他喃喃道,“但是……怎么说呢?…… —

it’s … h’m … it’s not quite for family reading. —
是……嗯……这不太适合家庭阅读。 —

It’s not simply decolleté but beyond anything, dash it all… .”
这不仅是敞开式的,而且超越了一切,该死……”

“How do you mean?”
“你是什么意思?”

“The serpent-tempter himself could not have invented anything worse … . —
“诱惑者蛇本人都想不出比这更糟糕的东西… .” —

Why, to put such a phantasmagoria on the table would be defiling the whole flat.”
“为什么要把这样一种幻境放在桌子上,污染整个房间。”

“What a strange way of looking at art, doctor!” said Sasha, offended. —
“医生,你看艺术的方式也太奇怪了!” Sasha 生气地说。 —

“Why, it is an artistic thing, look at it! —
“为什么,这是一个艺术品,看看这个! —

There is so much beauty and elegance that it fills one’s soul with a feeling of reverence and brings a lump into one’s throat! —
这里有如此多的美感和优雅,它充满了人的灵魂,让人感到崇敬之情,喉咙里生出一团堵。” —

When one sees anything so beautiful one forgets everything earthly… . —
“当一个人看到如此美丽的东西时,会忘记一切世俗的东西… . —

Only look, how much movement, what an atmosphere, what expression!”
只要看,有多少运动,有什么氛围,有多少表现!”

“I understand all that very well, my dear boy,” the doctor interposed, “but you know I am a family man, my children run in here, ladies come in.”
“我非常理解,亲爱的孩子,”医生打断道,“但你知道我是一个家庭人,我的孩子们会来这儿,女士们也会来。”

“Of course if you look at it from the point of view of the crowd,” said Sasha, “then this exquisitely artistic work may appear in a certain light. —
“当然,如果你从众人的角度去看待它,” Sasha 说,“那么这件精致的艺术作品可能会以某种角度出现. —

… But, doctor, rise superior to the crowd, especially as you will wound mamma and me by refusing it. —
但,医生,超脱于群众看待,尤其是因为你拒绝它会伤害到妈妈和我. —

I am the only son of my mother, you have saved my life… . —
我是我妈妈的独生子,你救过我的命… . —

We are giving you the thing most precious to us and … —
我们正在把对我们最宝贵的东西给你… —

and I only regret that I have not the pair to present to you… .”
我只感到遗憾的是我没有另一件对你奉献… .”

“Thank you, my dear fellow, I am very grateful … —
“谢谢你,我亲爱的朋友,我很感激… —

Give my respects to your mother but really consider, my children run in here, ladies come. —
向你母亲问候,但请真正考虑,我的孩子会来这儿,女士们来。” —

… However, let it remain! I see there’s no arguing with you.”
. . 不过,让它留下来吧!我看跟你争论没用。”

“And there is nothing to argue about,” said Sasha, relieved. —
“而且也没什么好争论的,” Sasha 松了口气说。 —

“Put the candlestick here, by this vase. —
“将烛台放在这里,靠这个花瓶。” —

What a pity we have not the pair to it! It is a pity! —
可惜我们没有它的一对!真可惜! —

Well, good-bye, doctor.”
好了,再见,医生。”

After Sasha’s departure the doctor looked for a long time at the candelabra, scratched behind his ear and meditated.
Sasha 离开后,医生长时间盯着烛台,挠了挠后脑勺,陷入沉思。

“It’s a superb thing, there’s no denying it,” he thought, “and it would be a pity to throw it away. —
“这确实是个极好的东西,不能否认,”他想,“扔掉太可惜了。 —

… But it’s impossible for me to keep it… . H’m! … Here’s a problem! —
可是我不可能留着它……嗯!问题就在这里! —

To whom can I make a present of it, or to what charity can I give it?”
我能送给谁,或者赠送给什么慈善机构呢?”

After long meditation he thought of his good friend, the lawyer Uhov, to whom he was indebted for the management of legal business.
经过长时间思考,医生想起了自己的好朋友、代理法律事务的律师乌霍夫。

“Excellent,” the doctor decided, “it would be awkward for him as a friend to take money from me, and it will be very suitable for me to present him with this. —
“太棒了,”医生决定,“作为朋友,他会觉得从我这里拿钱很尴尬,而我赠送这个东西给他非常合适。 —

I will take him the devilish thing! Luckily he is a bachelor and easy-going.”
我就把这玩意儿送给他!幸好他是个单身汉,很好相处。”

Without further procrastination the doctor put on his hat and coat, took the candelabra and went off to Uhov’s.
医生二话不说戴上帽子和外套,拿起烛台就去了乌霍夫家。

“How are you, friend!” he said, finding the lawyer at home. “I’ve come to see you … —
“朋友,你好!”他发现律师在家,“我来看你……感谢你的努力……你不要钱,那你至少要接受这个东西吧。 —

to thank you for your efforts… . You won’t take money so you must at least accept this thing here. —
” —

… See, my dear fellow… . The thing is magnificent!”
“看呐,亲爱的朋友,这件东西真是壮观啊!”

On seeing the bronze the lawyer was moved to indescribable delight.
看到这座青铜雕塑,律师感到难以言喻的喜悦。

“What a specimen!” he chuckled. “Ah, deuce take it, to think of them imagining such a thing, the devils! —
“这是何等的杰作!”他笑道,“啊,可恶,想象他们竟会想出这样的东西,该死的家伙们!” —

Exquisite! Ravishing! Where did you get hold of such a delightful thing?”
“精致!迷人!你从哪儿弄来这么一件可爱的东西?”

After pouring out his ecstasies the lawyer looked timidly towards the door and said: —
在倾诉完他的喜悦之后,律师畏缩地看向门口说道: —

“Only you must carry off your present, my boy … —
“不过你得把你的礼物带走,小伙子……” —

. I can’t take it… .”
“我不能要……”

“Why?” cried the doctor, disconcerted.
“为什么?”医生叫道,感到困惑。

“Why … because my mother is here at times, my clients … —
“为什么……因为我母亲偶尔在这儿,我的客户们……再说我不想让我的仆人看到。” —

besides I should be ashamed for my servants to see it.”
“胡说!胡说!你敢拒绝!”医生挥手说。

“Nonsense! Nonsense! Don’t you dare to refuse!” said the doctor, gesticulating. —
“你太过分了!这是一件艺术品!……多有动感,多有表现力!我甚至不想多说!你会冒犯我的!” —

“It’s piggish of you! It’s a work of art! … What movement … —
“如果能把它打磨或贴上无花果叶……” —

what expression! I won’t even talk of it! —
请将你拒绝我的话收回。”医生说。 —

You will offend me!”
“纯属猪一样的做法!这是一件艺术品!……什么动作……

“If one could plaster it over or stick on fig-leaves …”
什么表情!我甚至不愿继续说下去!你会冒犯我!”

But the doctor gesticulated more violently than before, and dashing out of the flat went home, glad that he had succeeded in getting the present off his hands.
但医生比以往更激动地做手势,冲出公寓回家,高兴自己成功把礼物送出去了。

When he had gone away the lawyer examined the candelabra, fingered it all over, and then, like the doctor, racked his brains over the question what to do with the present.
当他离开后,律师检查了烛台,摸了一遍,然后,像医生一样,对该怎么处理这份礼物思考不已。

“It’s a fine thing,” he mused, “and it would be a pity to throw it away and improper to keep it. —
“这是件好东西,”他沉思道,“把它扔掉是个浪费,留着也不妥。 —

The very best thing would be to make a present of it to someone… . I know what! —
最好的办法就是把它送给别人……我知道了! —

I’ll take it this evening to Shashkin, the comedian. —
我今晚会拿去给喜剧演员沙希金。 —

The rascal is fond of such things, and by the way it is his benefit tonight.”
这个家伙喜欢这些东西,顺便说一句,今晚是他的专场。”

No sooner said than done. In the evening the candelabra, carefully wrapped up, was duly carried to Shashkin’s. —
话音刚落,就有,晚上,小心翼翼包裹起来的烛台被送到了沙希金那里。 —

The whole evening the comic actor’s dressing-room was besieged by men coming to admire the present; —
整个晚上,这位喜剧演员的化妆室被前来欣赏礼物的人围得水泄不通; —

the dressing-room was filled with the hum of enthusiasm and laughter like the neighing of horses. —
化妆室充斥着兴奋和笑声,就像马的嘶鸣。 —

If one of the actresses approached the door and asked: “May I come in? —
如果有一位女演员靠近门,问:“我能进来吗? —

” the comedian’s husky voice was heard at once: —
”喜剧演员沙哑的声音立刻响起: —

“No, no, my dear, I am not dressed!”
“不,不,亲爱的,我还没穿好呢!”

After the performance the comedian shrugged his shoulders, flung up his hands and said: —
表演结束后,喜剧演员耸耸肩,举起双手,说: —

“Well what am I to do with the horrid thing? Why, I live in a private flat! —
“那我这个可怕的东西该怎么办呢?我住的是私人公寓! —

Actresses come and see me! It’s not a photograph that you can put in a drawer!”
女演员们都会过来找我!这可不像一张可以放在抽屉里的照片!”

“You had better sell it, sir,” the hairdresser who was disrobing the actor advised him. —
“你最好把它卖掉,先生,”正在帮演员脱衣服的理发师劝告他。 —

“There’s an old woman living about here who buys antique bronzes. —
“这附近有一位老太太收购古董青铜器。 —

Go and enquire for Madame Smirnov … everyone knows her.”
“去打听一下斯米尔诺夫夫人的情况…每个人都知道她。”

The actor followed his advice… . Two days later the doctor was sitting in his consulting-room, and with his finger to his brow was meditating on the acids of the bile. —
演员遵照他的建议去了。两天后,医生坐在他的会诊室里,手指放在他的眉毛上,沉思胆汁的酸性。 —

All at once the door opened and Sasha Smirnov flew into the room. —
突然门打开了,萨沙·斯米尔诺夫飞进了房间。 —

He was smiling, beaming, and his whole figure was radiant with happiness. —
他面带微笑,幸福洋溢,整个人都光彩照人。 —

In his hands he held something wrapped up in newspaper.
他手里拿着用报纸包裹着的东西。

“Doctor!” he began breathlessly, “imagine my delight! —
“医生!”他气喘吁吁地开始说,“想象一下我的喜悦! —

Happily for you we have succeeded in picking up the pair to your candelabra! —
多亏了您,我们成功找到了您烛台的另一只! —

Mamma is so happy… . I am the only son of my mother, you saved my life… .”
妈妈很高兴……我是我母亲的独生子,您救了我的命……”

And Sasha, all of a tremor with gratitude, set the candelabra before the doctor. —
萨沙满怀感激之情,把烛台放在医生面前。 —

The doctor opened his mouth, tried to say something, but said nothing: —
医生张开嘴,试图说些什么,但一句也说不出来: —

he could not speak.
他无法说话。