the rose arrives at the little prince’s planet I soon learned to know this flower better.
玫瑰花抵达了小王子的星球,我很快就开始更好地了解这朵花。 —

On the little prince’s planet the flowers had always been very simple.
在小王子的星球上,花朵一直都很简单。 —

They had only one ring of petals;
它们只有一圈花瓣; —

they took up no room at all;
它们不占据任何空间, —

they were a trouble to nobody.
对任何人都没有麻烦。 —

One morning they would appear in the grass, and by night they would have faded peacefully away.
它们一到早晨就会出现在草地上,到了晚上就会平静地凋落。 —

But one day, from a seed blown from no one knew where, a new flower had come up;
但有一天,从不知道来自哪里的种子飞来,一朵新的花儿冒了出来; —

and the little prince had watched very closely over this small sprout which was not like any other small sprouts on his planet.
小王子特别仔细地观察着这个小苗,它与他星球上其他小苗都不一样。 —

It might, you see, have been a new kind of baobab.
你看,它本来可能是一种新的猴面包树。 —

The shrub soon stopped growing, and began to get ready to produce a flower.
这灌木很快停止了生长,并开始准备开花。 —

The little prince, who was present at the first appearance of a huge bud, felt at once that some sort of miraculous apparition must emerge from it.
小王子在一个巨大花蕾初现场的时候,立刻感到一种奇迹般的现象肯定会从中出现。 —

But the flower was not satisfied to complete the preparations for her beauty in the shelter of her green chamber.
但这朵花不满足于在她的绿色小室里完成美丽的准备工作。 —

She chose her colours with the greatest care.
她仔细地选择自己的颜色。 —

She adjusted her petals one by one.
她一片一片地调整自己的花瓣。 —

She did not wish to go out into the world all rumpled, like the field poppies.
她不想像野地里的罂粟花那样凌乱地走出去。 —

It was only in the full radiance of her beauty that she wished to appear.
她只希望在她的美丽的完整辉煌中出现。 —

Oh, yes! She was a coquettish creature!
哦,是的!她是个爱卖弄风情的生物! —

And her mysterious adornment lasted for days and days.
她神秘的装饰持续了许多天。然后, —

Then one morning, exactly at sunrise, she suddenly showed herself.
在一个清晨的日出时刻,她突然出现了。 —

And, after working with all this painstaking precision, she yawned and said: “Ah!
在用心良苦地努力之后,她打了一个哈欠,说:“啊!我刚刚醒来。请你原谅我,我的花瓣还是乱七八糟的。” —

I am scarcely awake. I beg that you will excuse me. My petals are still all disarranged.
但小王子无法控制自己的赞美:“哦!你真美!” —

..” But the little prince could not restrain his admiration: “Oh!
“是吗?”花儿甜甜地回答说,“我是不是?” —

How beautiful you are!” “Am I not?” the flower responded, sweetly.
小王子可以很容易地猜到,她并不是太谦虚,而是多么动人和令人兴奋!“我想现在是吃早饭的时间了。 —

“And I was born at the same moment as the sun.
”她随即又补充道。 —

..” The little prince could guess easily enough that she was not any too modest– but how moving– and exciting– she was!
小王子随即回答说:“是的,我是在早上,和太阳一起出生的。” —

“I think it is time for breakfast,” she added an instant later.
“我想现在是吃早饭的时间了。”她随即又补充道。 —

“If you would have the kindness to think of my needs–” And the little prince, completely abashed, went to look for a sprinkling-can of fresh water.
“如果你能够善意地考虑我的需求——”于是,小王子感到非常尴尬地去找一把装着新鲜水的喷水壶。 —

So, he tended the flower. So, too, she began very quickly to torment him with her vanity– which was, if the truth be known, a little difficult to deal with.
于是,他照料着那朵花。同时,她也迅速开始用她的虚荣心折磨他——老实说,这有点难应付。 —

One day, for instance, when she was speaking of her four thorns, she said to the little prince:
比如有一天,当她提到她的四根刺时,她对小王子说: —

“Let the tigers come with their claws!” “There are no tigers on my planet,” the little prince objected.
“让老虎们带着它们的爪子来吧!”“在我的星球上没有老虎,”小王子反驳道。 —

“And, anyway, tigers do not eat weeds.” “I am not a weed,” the flower replied, sweetly. “Please excuse me.
“而且,老虎不吃杂草。”“我不是杂草,”那朵花甜甜地回答道,“请原谅我。 —

..” “I am not at all afraid of tigers,” she went on, “but I have a horror of drafts.
“我一点也不怕老虎,”她继续说道,“但我很害怕风。 —

I suppose you wouldn’t have a screen for me?” “A horror of drafts– that is bad luck, for a plant,” remarked the little prince, and added to himself, “This flower is a very complex creature.
我想你没有一个屏风给我吗?”“害怕风——对植物来说是不幸的,”小王子评论道,并在心里补充道,“这朵花是一个非常复杂的生物。” —

..” “At night I want you to put me under a glass globe.
“晚上,我希望你把我放在一个玻璃罩下。 —

It is very cold where you live.
你住的地方非常冷。” —

In the place I came from–” But she interrupted herself at that point.
“在我来自的地方……”但是她在这一点上打断了自己。 —

She had come in the form of a seed.
她以一颗种子的形式来到这里。 —

She could not have known anything of any other worlds.
她对其他世界一无所知。 —

Embarassed over having let herself be caught on the verge of such a naive untruth, she coughed two or three times, in order to put the little prince in the wrong.
她因为几乎说出一个天真的谎言而感到尴尬,所以咳嗽了两三次,试图让小王子难堪。 —

“The screen?” “I was just going to look for it when you spoke to me.
“屏幕?” “你刚才对我说话的时候,我正要找它呢。” —

..” Then she forced her cough a little more so that he should suffer from remorse just the same.
然后她故意咳嗽得更厉害,以便让他因为内疚而受苦。 —

So the little prince, in spite of all the good will that was inseparable from his love, had soon come to doubt her.
因此,尽管他对她的爱中充满好意,小王子很快就开始对她产生了怀疑。 —

He had taken seriously words which were without importance, and it made him very unhappy.
他认真对待了一些无关紧要的话,这使他非常不快乐。 —

“I ought not to have listened to her,” he confided to me one day.
“我不应该听她的话,”他有一天向我吐露。 —

“One never ought to listen to the flowers.
“人们永远不应该听花朵的话。 —

One should simply look at them and breathe their fragrance.
我们应该只是看着它们,呼吸它们的芳香。” —

Mine perfumed all my planet.
我的香气遍布了我的整个星球。 —

But I did not know how to take pleasure in all her grace.
但我不知道如何享受她所有的优雅之美。 —

This tale of claws, which disturbed me so much, should only have filled my heart with tenderness and pity.” And he continued his confidences:
这个爪子的故事让我感到非常不安,它只应该充满我心里的温柔和怜悯。他继续吐露心声: —

“The fact is that I did not know how to understand anything!
“事实上,我对什么都一无所知! —

I ought to have judged by deeds and not by words.
我应该以行动而非言辞来判断。 —

She cast her fragrance and her radiance over me.
她给我带来芬芳和光彩。 —

I ought never to have run away from her.
我本不该逃离她。 —

.. I ought to have guessed all the affection that lay behind her poor little strategems.
我本该猜到她那些可怜的小策略背后的全部情感。 —

Flowers are so inconsistent!
花是如此善变! —

But I was too young to know how to love her…”
但我还太年轻,不懂得如何爱她…