the narrator learns about the secret of the little prince’s life
叙述者得知了小王子生活的秘密。

On the fifth day– again, as always, it was thanks to the sheep– the secret of the little prince’s life was revealed to me.
第五天,同往常一样,多亏了那只羊,小王子的生活秘密向我揭示了。 —

Abruptly, without anything to lead up to it, and as if the question had been born of long and silent meditation on his problem, he demanded:
突然地,没有任何前导,就好像这个问题是长时间无声地沉思过他的难题后产生的,他要求道:

“A sheep– if it eats little bushes, does it eat flowers, too?”
“一只羊,如果它吃了小灌木,它也会吃花吗?”

“A sheep,” I answered, “eats anything it finds in its reach.”
我回答说:“一只羊会吃到它范围内的任何东西。”

“Even flowers that have thorns?”
“即使是有刺的花?”

“Yes, even flowers that have thorns.”
“是的,即使是有刺的花。”

“Then the thorns– what use are they?”
“那刺有什么用?”

I did not know. At that moment I was very busy trying to unscrew a bolt that had got stuck in my engine.
我不知道。那时我正忙着试图拧松卡在我的发动机里的螺栓。 —

I was very much worried, for it was becoming clear to me that the breakdown of my plane was extremely serious.
我非常担心,因为这使我明白我的飞机故障非常严重。 —

And I had so little drinking-water left that I had to fear for the worst.
而且我剩下的饮水非常少,我不得不担心最糟糕的情况。

“The thorns– what use are they?”
“那刺有什么用?”

The little prince never let go of a question, once he had asked it.
一旦他提出了问题,小王子从不抛弃。 —

As for me, I was upset over that bolt.
至于我,我对那个螺栓感到不满。 —

And I answered with the first thing that came into my head:
我脱口而出地回答:

“The thorns are of no use at all.
“刺并没有任何用处。 —

Flowers have thorns just for spite!”
花的刺只是为了嫉妒才有的!“

“Oh!”
“哦!“

There was a moment of complete silence.
完全的寂静降临了一会儿。 —

Then the little prince flashed back at me, with a kind of resentfulness:
然后小王子对我闪回了一下,带着一种怨恨的语气:

“I don’t believe you!
“我不相信你! —

Flowers are weak creatures.
花是虚弱的生物。 —

They are naive.
它们是天真的。 —

They reassure themselves as best they can.
它们尽最大努力让自己安心。 —

They believe that their thorns are terrible weapons…”
它们相信自己的刺是可怕的武器

I did not answer. At that instant I was saying to myself:
我没有回答。那一瞬间,我想着: —

“If this bolt still won’t turn, I am going to knock it out with the hammer.” Again the little prince disturbed my thoughts.
“如果这个螺栓还是不转,我就要用锤子敲它了。”小王子再次打扰我的思绪。

“And you actually believe that the flowers–”
“而你竟然相信那些花–”

“Oh, no!” I cried. “No, no no!
“哦,不!”我叫道。 —

I don’t believe anything.
“不,不,不! —

I answered you with the first thing that came into my head.
我什么都不相信。我头脑一热就回答你了。 —

Don’t you see– I am very busy with matters of consequence!”
“难道你没有看出来吗–我正忙着处理重要事情!“

He stared at me, thunderstruck.
他目瞪口呆地看着我。

“Matters of consequence!”
“重要事情!”

He looked at me there, with my hammer in my hand, my fingers black with engine-grease, bending down over an object which seemed to him extremely ugly…
他看着我,那时我手里拿着锤子,手指上黑黑的沾满了发动机油污,正在弯腰检查一个他认为极其丑陋的东西…

“You talk just like the grown-ups!”
“你说话就像大人一样!”

That made me a little ashamed.
这让我有点羞愧。 —

But he went on, relentlessly:
但他毫不留情地继续说道:

“You mix everything up together.
“你把一切都混在一起. —

.. You confuse everything…”
..你混淆一切…”

He was really very angry.
他真的非常生气。 —

He tossed his golden curls in the breeze.
他的金色卷发在微风中飘扬。

“I know a planet where there is a certain red-faced gentleman.
“我知道一个星球上有一个红脸的绅士。 —

He has never smelled a flower.
他从未闻过花的香气。 —

He has never looked at a star.
他从未仰望星空。 —

He has never loved any one.
他从未爱过任何人。 —

He has never done anything in his life but add up figures.
他这辈子除了做数学运算什么都没做过。 —

And all day he says over and over, just like you:
整天重复着和你一样的话: —

‘I am busy with matters of consequence!’ And that makes him swell up with pride.
‘我正忙于重要的事情!’ 这让他自鸣得意。 —

But he is not a man– he is a mushroom!”
但他不是一个人 - 他只是一个蘑菇!”

“A what?”
“什么?”

“A mushroom!”
“一个蘑菇!”

The little prince was now white with rage.
小王子现在气得脸色发白。

“The flowers have been growing thorns for millions of years.
“花朵已经长出刺来已经有数百万年了。 —

For millions of years the sheep have been eating them just the same.
数百万年来绵羊一直在吃它们,毫无例外。” —

And is it not a matter of consequence to try to understand why the flowers go to so much trouble to grow thorns which are never of any use to them?
难道不值得去尝试理解为什么花会费那么大的力气长出刺,而这些刺对它们来说毫无用处吗? —

Is the warfare between the sheep and the flowers not important?
羊和花之间的战争不重要吗? —

Is this not of more consequence than a fat red-faced gentleman’s sums?
这难道不比一个胖乎乎的红脸先生的数学题更重要吗? —

And if I know– I, myself– one flower which is unique in the world, which grows nowhere but on my planet, but which one little sheep can destroy in a single bite some morning, without even noticing what he is doing– Oh!
如果我知道,我自己知道,有一朵独一无二的花,它只在我的星球上生长,而一只小羊可以在某个早晨一口咬掉它,甚至没注意到自己正在做什么,哦! —

You think that is not important!”
你觉得这不重要吗!

His face turned from white to red as he continued:
当他继续说下去时,他的脸由白变红:

“If some one loves a flower, of which just one single blossom grows in all the millions and millions of stars, it is enough to make him happy just to look at the stars.
如果有人爱一朵花,在成千上万的星星中只有一朵存在,仅仅看着星星就足够使他幸福。 —

He can say to himself, ‘Somewhere, my flower is there…’ But if the sheep eats the flower, in one moment all his stars will be darkened.
他可以对自己说:“在某个地方,我的花在那里……”但是如果羊吃掉了这朵花,他所有的星星都会变黑。 —

.. And you think that is not important!”
你觉得这不重要吗!

He could not say anything more.
他不能再说什么了。 —

His words were choked by sobbing.
他的话被抽泣所阻塞。

The night had fallen.
夜幕已降临。 —

I had let my tools drop from my hands.
我让手中的工具掉在地上。此刻, —

Of what moment now was my hammer, my bolt, or thirst, or death?
我的锤子、螺栓、口渴或死亡都有什么意义呢? —

On one star, one planet, my planet, the Earth, there was a little prince to be comforted.
在一颗星球上,一颗行星上,我的行星上,地球上,有一个可安慰的小王子。 —

I took him in my arms, and rocked him. I said to him:
我将他抱在怀里,轻轻摇晃着。我对他说:

“The flower that you love is not in danger.
“你所爱的花并没有危险。 —

I will draw you a muzzle for your sheep.
我会为你画一副绵羊的嘴套。 —

I will draw you a railing to put around your flower.
我会为你画一道围栏,保护你的花。我会. —

I will–”
..”

I did not know what to say to him.
我不知道要对他说些什么。 —

I felt awkward and blundering.
我感到尴尬而笨拙。 —

I did not know how I could reach him, where I could overtake him and go on hand in hand with him once more.
我不知道我该如何接触他,我要去哪里追赶他,再次与他牵手并肩前行。

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
那是一个秘密的地方,眼泪的国度。