the narrator crashes in the desert and makes the acquaintance of the little prince.
叙述者在沙漠中坠机,并结识了小王子。 —

So I lived my life alone, without anyone that I could really talk to, until I had an accident with my plane in the Desert of Sahara, six years ago.
因此,我一直过着孤独的生活,没有任何人真正可以和我交谈,直到六年前我在撒哈拉沙漠中遇到了一次飞机事故。 —

Something was broken in my engine.
引擎出了问题。既没有机械师, —

And as I had with me neither a mechanic nor any passengers, I set myself to attempt the difficult repairs all alone.
也没有乘客陪伴我,所以我只能自己努力尝试进行艰难的修理。 —

It was a question of life or death for me:
对我来说,这是一个生死攸关的问题: —

I had scarcely enough drinking water to last a week.
我手头仅有的饮水只够维持一周。 —

The first night, then, I went to sleep on the sand, a thousand miles from any human habitation.
第一天晚上,我就在离任何人类居住地一千英里远的沙滩上睡着了。 —

I was more isolated than a shipwrecked sailor on a raft in the middle of the ocean.
我比漂泊在海洋中心的遇难船员还要孤独。 —

Thus you can imagine my amazement, at sunrise, when I was awakened by an odd little voice.
因此,在日出时分,当我被一个奇怪的小声音唤醒时,你可以想象到我的惊讶。 —

It said:
它说: —

“If you please– draw me a sheep!” “What!” “Draw me a sheep!” I jumped to my feet, completely thunderstruck.
“请你——给我画只绵羊!”“什么!”“给我画只绵羊!”我惊讶地跳了起来。 —

I blinked my eyes hard.
我用力眨了眨眼睛。 —

I looked carefully all around me.
我仔细看了看四周。 —

And I saw a most extraordinary small person, who stood there examining me with great seriousness.
我看到了一个非常不寻常的小人,他站在那里认真地观察着我。 —

Here you may see the best portrait that, later, I was able to make of him.
在这里你可以看到我之后能够画出的最好的他的肖像。 —

But my drawing is certainly very much less charming than its model.
但是我的画作肯定没有它的原模原样那么迷人, —

That, however, is not my fault.
不过这并不是我的错。 —

The grown-ups discouraged me in my painter’s career when I was six years old, and I never learned to draw anything, except boas from the outside and boas from the inside.
当我六岁的时候,大人们泄了我对画家职业的兴趣,我从此只会画出被围观和被打开的蟒蛇。 —

Now I stared at this sudden apparition with my eyes fairly starting out of my head in astonishment.
现在我惊奇地瞪大眼睛盯着这突然出现的人。 —

Remember, I had crashed in the desert a thousand miles from any inhabited region.
记住,我是在距离任何人居住区一千英里的沙漠坠机的。 —

And yet my little man seemed neither to be straying uncertainly among the sands, nor to be fainting from fatigue or hunger or thirst or fear.
然而,我的小伙子似乎并没有在沙漠中迷路,也没有因为疲劳、饥饿、口渴或者恐惧而晕倒。 —

Nothing about him gave any suggestion of a child lost in the middle of the desert, a thousand miles from any human habitation.
他的一举一动都没有给人一种在千里无人区迷失的孩子的感觉。 —

When at last I was able to speak, I said to him:
当我终于能够开口说话时,我对他说: —

“But– what are you doing here?” And in answer he repeated, very slowly, as if he were speaking of a matter of great consequence:
“但是——你在这里做什么?” 他很慢地重复回答,好像在谈论一件非常重要的事情: —

“If you please– draw me a sheep.
“请你——给我画只羊。 —

..” When a mystery is too overpowering, one dare not disobey.
当一个谜团强大到让人无法抗拒时,就不敢违抗。 —

Absurd as it might seem to me, a thousand miles from any human habitation and in danger of death, I took out of my pocket a sheet of paper and my fountain-pen.
尽管对我来说可能显得荒谬,离人烟稀少的地方有一千英里,并面临死亡的危险,我从口袋里拿出一张纸和钢笔。 —

But then I remembered how my studies had been concentrated on geography, history, arithmetic, and grammar, and I told the little chap (a little crossly, too) that I did not know how to draw.
但是后来我想起来,我所学的主要是地理、历史、算术和语法,然后有点生气地告诉这个小家伙,我不知道如何画画。 —

He answered me: “That doesn’t matter.
他对我说:“没关系。给我画一只羊. —

Draw me a sheep…” But I had never drawn a sheep.
…..”但是我从来没有画过羊。 —

So I drew for him one of the two pictures I had drawn so often.
于是我为他画了我经常画的两个图画中的一个。 —

It was that of the boa constrictor from the outside.
那是从外面看的蟒蛇。 —

And I was astounded to hear the little fellow greet it with, “No, no, no! I do not want an elephant inside a boa constrictor.
听到小家伙对此表示惊讶,我也感到惊讶,“不,不,不!我不想要一只大蟒蛇里面有一只大象。” —

A boa constrictor is a very dangerous creature, and an elephant is very cumbersome.
大蟒蛇是非常危险的生物,而大象非常笨重。 —

Where I live, everything is very small.
在我居住的地方,一切都很小。 —

What I need is a sheep.
我需要的是一只绵羊。 —

Draw me a sheep.” So then I made a drawing.
给我画一只绵羊。”于是我画了一幅画。 —

He looked at it carefully, then he said:
他仔细看了,然后说: —

“No. This sheep is already very sickly.
“不行。这只绵羊已经很虚弱了。 —

Make me another.” So I made another drawing.
再给我画一只。”于是我又画了一幅。 —

My friend smiled gently and indulgently.
我的朋友温和地笑了起来。 —

“You see yourself,” he said, “that this is not a sheep.
“你看,”他说,” 这不是只绵羊。这是只公绵羊。 —

This is a ram. It has horns.” So then I did my drawing over once more.
它有角。于是我又重新画了一次。 —

But it was rejected too, just like the others.
但这次也被拒绝了,就像前面的几次一样。 —

“This one is too old.
“这只太老了。 —

I want a sheep that will live a long time.” By this time my patience was exhausted, because I was in a hurry to start taking my engine apart.
我要一只能活很久的绵羊。这时候我已经没有耐心了,因为我急着开始拆我的引擎。 —

So I tossed off this drawing.
于是我随手画了一幅。 —

And I threw out an explanation with it. “This is only his box.
并且随即解释道:”这只是它的箱子。 —

The sheep you asked for is inside.” I was very surprised to see a light break over the face of my young judge:
你要求的绵羊就在里面。” 我非常惊讶地看到我的年轻评判者的脸上露出一丝光亮: —

“That is exactly the way I wanted it!
“这正是我想要的! —

Do you think that this sheep will have to have a great deal of grass?” “Why?” “Because where I live everything is very small.
你认为这只绵羊会需要很多的草吗? “为什么?” “因为我所在的地方一切都很小。 —

..” “There will surely be enough grass for him,” I said. “It is a very small sheep that I have given you.” He bent his head over the drawing:
..”我说道,“对他来说应该有足够的草了。我给你的是一只非常小的绵羊。他低头看着那幅画: —

“Not so small that– Look! He has gone to sleep.
“不是那么小呢——看!它已经睡着了. —

..” And that is how I made the acquaintance of the little prince.
..”就这样,我与小王子结识了。