the little prince visits the businessman The fourth planet belonged to a businessman.
小王子拜访了一个商人。 这第四颗行星属于一个商人。 —

This man was so much occupied that he did not even raise his head at the little prince’s arrival.
这个人忙得连抬头都没时间看小王子的到来。 —

“Good morning,” the little prince said to him.
“早上好,”小王子对他说。 —

“Your cigarette has gone out.” “Three and two make five.
“你的烟熄了。”“三加二等于五。 —

Five and seven make twelve.
五加七等于十二。 —

Twelve and three make fifteen. Good morning.
十二加三等于十五。早上好。 —

Fifteen and seven make twenty-two.
十五加七等于二十二。 —

Twenty-two and six make twenty-eight.
二十二加六等于二十八。 —

I haven’t time to light it again.
我没时间再点它了。 —

Twenty-six and five make thirty-one.
二十六加五等于三十一。呼! —

Phew!

Then that makes five-hundred-and-one-million, six-hundred-twenty-two-thousand, seven-hundred-thirty-one.” “Five hundred million what?” asked the little prince. “Eh? Are you still there?
那么就是五亿一千六百二十二万七千七百三十一。”“五亿什么?”小王子问道。“嗯?你还在吗? —

Five-hundred-and-one million– I can’t stop.
五亿零一百六十二万……我不能停下来……我有很多事情要做! —

.. I have so much to do!

I am concerned with matters of consequence.
我关心重要的事情。 —

I don’t amuse myself with balderdash.
我不会自己娱乐。 —

Two and five make seven.
二加五等于七……”“五亿什么? —

..” “Five-hundred-and-one million what?” repeated the little prince, who never in his life had let go of a question once he had asked it.
”小王子反复询问,他一旦问了一个问题就从未放手。 —

The businessman raised his head.
商人抬起了头。 —

“During the fifty-four years that I have inhabited this planet, I have been disturbed only three times.
“在我生活在这个星球上的54年里,只有三次我被打扰过。 —

The first time was twenty-two years ago, when some giddy goose fell from goodness knows where.
第一次是22年前,当时一个轻浮的傻瓜从不知道哪里掉下来。 —

He made the most frightful noise that resounded all over the place, and I made four mistakes in my addition.
他发出了可怕的噪音,声音在整个地方回荡,我在计算时犯了四个错误。 —

The second time, eleven years ago, I was disturbed by an attack of rheumatism.
第二次是11年前,我被关节炎的痛击所打扰。 —

I don’t get enough exercise.
我没有足够的锻炼。 —

I have no time for loafing.
我没有时间消遣。 —

The third time– well, this is it!
第三次 - 嗯,就是现在! —

I was saying, then, five -hundred-and-one millions–” “Millions of what?” The businessman suddenly realized that there was no hope of being left in peace until he answered this question.
我刚才说的是五亿一千万 - - ” “什么的亿?”商人突然意识到如果他不回答这个问题,就没有希望能够得到安宁。 —

“Millions of those little objects,” he said, “which one sometimes sees in the sky.” “Flies?” “Oh, no. Little glittering objects.” “Bees?” “Oh, no. Little golden objects that set lazy men to idle dreaming.
“五亿一千万个那些小玩意儿,”他说,“有时候在天空中能看到。” “苍蝇?” “哦,不是。那些小闪光的东西。” “蜜蜂?” “哦,不。是些小小的金色物体,让懒散的人陷入空想。 —

As for me, I am concerned with matters of consequence.
至于我,我关心的是重要的事情。 —

There is no time for idle dreaming in my life.” “Ah! You mean the stars?” “Yes, that’s it. The stars.” “And what do you do with five-hundred millions of stars?” “Five-hundred-and-one million, six-hundred-twenty-two thousand, seven-hundred-thirty-one.
在我的生活中没有时间去空想。”啊!你是指星星吗?” “是的,就是星星。” “那你怎么处理五亿颗星星?” “五亿零一百二十二万七千三百三十一颗。 —

I am concerned with matters of consequence:
我关心的是重要的事情: —

I am accurate.” “And what do you do with these stars?” “What do I do with them?” “Yes.” “Nothing.
我很准确。”那你对这些星星做什么?” “你对它们做什么?” “什么都不做,我拥有它们。” —

I own them.” “You own the stars?” “Yes.” “But I have already seen a king who–” “Kings do not own, they reign over.
“你拥有这些星星?” “是的。” “但是我已经见过一个国王–” “国王不能拥有,他们只能统治。 —

It is a very different matter.” “And what good does it do you to own the stars?” “It does me the good of making me rich.” “And what good does it do you to be rich?” “It makes it possible for me to buy more stars, if any are ever discovered.” “This man,” the little prince said to himself, “reasons a little like my poor tippler.
这是个非常不同的问题。“那么拥有星星对你有什么好处呢?”“它让我变得富有。”“那么拥有财富对你有什么好处呢?”“这样我就能买更多的星星,如果有人发现它们的话。”小王子自言自语道:“这个人思维方式和我可怜的酒鬼有点像。” —

..” Nevertheless, he still had some more questions. “How is it possible for one to own the stars?” “To whom do they belong?” the businessman retorted, peevishly.
然而,他还有更多问题。“一个人怎么可能拥有星星呢?”“它们属于谁?”商人恼怒地反驳道。“我不知道, —

“I don’t know. To nobody.” “Then they belong to me, because I was the first person to think of it.” “Is that all that is necessary?” “Certainly. When you find a diamond that belongs to nobody, it is yours.
属于没有人。”“那么它们属于我,因为我是第一个想到拥有它们的人。”“这就是必要的吗?”“当你找到一个无主的钻石,它就是你的。” —

When you discover an island that belongs to nobody, it is yours.
“当你发现一个无主的岛屿,它就是你的。” —

When you get an idea before any one else, you take out a patent on it:
“当你比任何人都先有了一个想法,你就要为它取得专利: —

it is yours. So with me:
就是你的。” —

I own the stars, because nobody else before me ever thought of owning them.” “Yes, that is true,” said the little prince.
“所以对我来说,我拥有星星,因为在我之前没有人想到过拥有它们。”“是的,那是真的,”小王子说道, —

“And what do you do with them?” “I administer them,” replied the businessman.
“那你是怎么处理它们的呢?”“我来管理它们,”商人回答道。 —

“I count them and recount them. It is difficult.
“我数它们,然后再数一遍。 —

But I am a man who is naturally interested in matters of consequence.” The little prince was still not satisfied.
这很困难。但我是一个天生关心重要事物的人。”小王子仍然不满意。 —

“If I owned a silk scarf,” he said, “I could put it around my neck and take it away with me.
“如果我拥有一条丝巾,”他说,“我可以把它围在脖子上带走。 —

If I owned a flower, I could pluck that flower and take it away with me.
如果我拥有一朵花,我可以摘下那朵花带走。 —

But you cannot pluck the stars from heaven.
但你无法从天空中摘取星星…” “不。 —

..” “No. But I can put them in the bank.” “Whatever does that mean?” “That means that I write the number of my stars on a little paper.
但我可以把它们存在银行。” “那是什么意思?”“那意味着我在一张小纸上写下我的星星数量。 —

And then I put this paper in a drawer and lock it with a key.” “And that is all?” “That is enough,” said the businessman.
然后我把这张纸放进抽屉里,用钥匙锁上。” “就这样了吗?”“那就足够了,”商人说。 —

“It is entertaining,” thought the little prince.
“这有趣,”小王子想。“这相当有诗意。 —

“It is rather poetic.
” —

But it is of no great consequence.” On matters of consequence, the little prince had ideas which were very different from those of the grown-ups.
但这并不重要。在重要的事情上,小王子的想法与大人们截然不同。 —

“I myself own a flower,” he continued his conversation with the businessman, “which I water every day.
他继续与商人的对话:“我自己拥有一朵花,每天给她浇水。 —

I own three volcanoes, which I clean out every week (for I also clean out the one that is extinct;
我拥有三座火山,每周清理一次(因为我也清理那座死火山; —

one never knows).
你永远不知道)。 —

It is of some use to my volcanoes, and it is of some use to my flower, that I own them.
我拥有它们对我的火山和花朵来说都有一些用处。 —

But you are of no use to the stars.
但对于星星来说, —

..” The businessman opened his mouth, but he found nothing to say in answer.
你没有用处……”商人张了张嘴,但他没有找到什么回答的话。 —

And the little prince went away.
小王子走了。 —

“The grown-ups are certainly altogether extraordinary,” he said simply, talking to himself as he continued on his journey.
他继续自言自语地说:“大人们确实非常特殊。”