the little prince visits the king He found himself in the neighborhood of the asteroids 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, and 330.
《小王子》去拜访了国王。他发现自己来到了325、326、327、328、329和330号小行星附近。 —-

He began, therefore, by visiting them, in order to add to his knowledge.
因此,他开始拜访它们,为了增加自己的知识。 —-

The first of them was inhabited by a king.
他首先拜访的小行星上住着一位国王。 —-

Clad in royal purple and ermine, he was seated upon a throne which was at the same time both simple and majestic. “Ah!
他身穿皇家紫袍和貂皮披肩,坐在一个既简单又威严的宝座上。“啊! —-

Here is a subject,” exclaimed the king, when he saw the little prince coming.
有个臣民来了,”国王看到小王子走过来便大惊失色。 —-

And the little prince asked himself:
小王子心里想: —-

“How could he recognize me when he had never seen me before?” He did not know how the world is simplified for kings.
“他怎么可能在以前从未见过我的情况下认出我呢?”他不知道对国王来说世界是如何简化的。对他们来说, —-

To them, all men are subjects.
所有的人都是臣民。 —-

“Approach, so that I may see you better,” said the king, who felt consumingly proud of being at last a king over somebody.
“过来,让我看得更清楚些,”国王说道,他为终于成为某个人的国王而感到无比自豪。 —-

The little prince looked everywhere to find a place to sit down;
小王子四处寻找可以坐下的地方; —-

but the entire planet was crammed and obstructed by the king’s magnificent ermine robe.
但整个星球都被国王豪华的貂皮披肩塞得满满的,且不通行。 —-

So he remained standing upright, and, since he was tired, he yawned.
因此,他只好直立站立,由于感到累了,他打了个哈欠。 —-

“It is contrary to etiquette to yawn in the presence of a king,” the monarch said to him.
“在国王面前打哈欠是违反礼仪的,”国王对他说道。 —-

“I forbid you to do so.” “I can’t help it.
“我禁止你这么做。”“我控制不住。” —-

I can’t stop myself,” replied the little prince, thoroughly embarrassed.
“我无法自拔,”小王子尴尬至极地回答道。 —-

“I have come on a long journey, and I have had no sleep…” “Ah, then,” the king said. “I order you to yawn.
“我已经来了一段长旅,一直没有休息…”“啊,那么,”国王说道。“我命令你打哈欠。 —-

It is years since I have seen anyone yawning.
我已经多年没有见过有人打哈欠了。 —-

Yawns, to me, are objects of curiosity. Come, now! Yawn again!
对我来说,打哈欠是件好奇的事。来,再打一次! —-

It is an order.” “That frightens me.
“这吓到了我. —-

.. I cannot, any more.
..我已经无法再打了。 —-

..” murmured the little prince, now completely abashed. “Hum! Hum!” replied the king.
”小王子现在完全局促不安地喃喃自语道。“嗯,嗯!”国王回答道。 —-

“Then I— I order you sometimes to yawn and sometimes to—“ He sputtered a little, and seemed vexed.
“那么,我命令你有时候打哈欠,有时候——”他有点结巴,看起来有些恼火。 —-

For what the king fundamentally insisted upon was that his authority should be respected.
因为国王根本坚持的是他的权威应该受到尊重。 —-

He tolerated no disobedience.
他不容忍违抗。 —-

He was an absolute monarch.
他是个绝对君主。 —-

But, because he was a very good man, he made his orders reasonable.
但是,因为他是个非常善良的人,他的命令都是合理的。 —-

“If I ordered a general,” he would say, by way of example, “if I ordered a general to change himself into a sea bird, and if the general did not obey me, that would not be the fault of the general.
“如果我命令一个将军,”他举例说,“如果我命令一个将军将自己变成一只海鸟,而将军不服从我的命令,那不是将军的错。 —-

It would be my fault.” “May I sit down?” came now a timid inquiry from the little prince.
那是我的错。”“我可以坐下吗?”小王子现在胆怯地询问道。 —-

“I order you to do so,” the king answered him, and majestically gathered in a fold of his ermine mantle.
“我命令你坐下,”国王回答他,并威严地收拢了他的貂皮斗篷的一角。 —-

But the little prince was wondering.
但小王子在想……这个星球很小。 —-

.. The planet was tiny.
—-

Over what could this king really rule? “Sire,” he said to him, “I beg that you will excuse my asking you a question—“ “I order you to ask me a question,” the king hastened to assure him.
他真的能统治什么呢?“陛下,”他对国王说,“请原谅我问一个问题——”“我命令你问我一个问题,”国王急忙向他保证道。 —-

“Sire— over what do you rule?” “Over everything,” said the king, with magnificent simplicity.
“陛下——你统治什么?”“一切,”国王以宏伟的简单回答道。 —-

“Over everything?” The king made a gesture, which took in his planet, the other planets, and all the stars.
“一切?”国王做了个手势,包含了他的星球,其他星球和所有的星星。“所有的一切? —-

“Over all that?” asked the little prince. “Over all that,” the king answered. For his rule was not only absolute:
”“你统治什么?”小王子问道。“我统治一切。”国王回答说。因为他的统治不仅是绝对的, —-

it was also universal.
而且是普遍的。 —-

“And the stars obey you?” “Certainly they do,” the king said. “They obey instantly.
“星星也听从你的命令?”“当然听从。”国王说。“它们立刻就听从了。” —-

I do not permit insubordination.” Such power was a thing for the little prince to marvel at.
“我不允许不服从命令。”这样的权力让小王子觉得非常惊奇。 —-

If he had been master of such complete authority, he would have been able to watch the sunset, not forty-four times in one day, but seventy-two, or even a hundred, or even two hundred times, with out ever having to move his chair.
如果他拥有如此完整的权力,他可以观看日落不是四十四次,而是七十二次,甚至一百次,甚至两百次,而无需移动他的椅子。 —-

And because he felt a bit sad as he remembered his little planet which he had forsaken, he plucked up his courage to ask the king a favor:
因为他在回忆起他抛弃的那颗小行星时感到有些伤感,他鼓起勇气请求国王一个恩惠: —-

“I should like to see a sunset.
“我想看一次日落. —-

.. do me that kindness.
…..请您帮个忙. —-

.. Order the sun to set.
…..命令太阳落山。” —-

..” “If I ordered a general to fly from one flower to another like a butterfly, or to write a tragic drama, or to change himself into a sea bird, and if the general did not carry out the order that he had received, which one of us would be in the wrong?” the king demanded. “The general, or myself?” “You,” said the little prince firmly.
“如果我命令一个将军像蝴蝶一样从一朵花飞到另一朵花,或者写一部悲剧,或者将自己变成海鸟能,而这个将军没有执行接到的命令,我们哪一个人会有错呢?” 国王要求道:“是将军错了,还是我错了?”小王子坚决地说:“是您错了。” —-

“Exactly.
—-

One much require from each one the duty which each one can perform,” the king went on. “Accepted authority rests first of all on reason.
国王继续说道:“人们应该承担起自己能够履行的责任,接受的权力首先建立在理性之上。” —-

If you ordered your people to go and throw themselves into the sea, they would rise up in revolution.
如果您命令您的人投海自尽,他们会起来革命。 —-

I have the right to require obedience because my orders are reasonable.” “Then my sunset?” the little prince reminded him:
我有权要求服从,因为我的命令是合理的。”小王子提醒他:“那么我的日落呢?” —-

for he never forgot a question once he had asked it.
因为他一问出来就不会忘记问题。 —-

“You shall have your sunset.
“你将会拥有你的日落。 —-

I shall command it.
我会下命令的。 —-

But, according to my science of government, I shall wait until conditions are favorable.” “When will that be?” inquired the little prince. “Hum!
但是,根据我对政府的认识,我会等待条件合适的时候。”“那将是什么时候?”小王子问道。“嗯!嗯! —-

Hum!” replied the king;
”国王回答道; —-

and before saying anything else he consulted a bulky almanac.
然后他在查阅庞大的日历前什么也没说。“嗯! —-

“Hum! Hum!
嗯! —-

That will be about— about— that will be this evening about twenty minutes to eight.
大约……大约……大约是今晚七点四十分左右。 —-

And you will see how well I am obeyed.” The little prince yawned.
届时你将会看到我被很好地遵守。”小王子打了个哈欠。 —-

He was regretting his lost sunset.
他正在后悔失去了夕阳。 —-

And then, too, he was already beginning to be a little bored.
而且,他已经开始有点无聊了。 —-

“I have nothing more to do here,” he said to the king.
“我在这里没有别的事要做了,”他对国王说道。 —-

“So I shall set out on my way again.” “Do not go,” said the king, who was very proud of having a subject.
“所以我将再次踏上旅途。”“不要走,”国王说道,他为拥有臣民感到非常自豪。 —-

“Do not go. I will make you a Minister!” “Minister of what?” “Minster of— of Justice!” “But there is nobody here to judge!” “We do not know that,” the king said to him.
“不要走。我会让你成为部长!”“什么部长?” “司法部长!” “但这里没有人来审判!”“我们不知道,”国王对他说。 —-

“I have not yet made a complete tour of my kingdom.
“我还没有完全巡视过我的王国, —-

I am very old.
我已经很老了。 —-

There is no room here for a carriage.
这里没地方放马车, —-

And it tires me to walk.” “Oh, but I have looked already!” said the little prince, turning around to give one more glance to the other side of the planet.
我走路也累。”“哦,但我已经察看过了!”小王子转身再次向行星的另一边瞥了一眼。 —-

On that side, as on this, there was nobody at all.
在那边,和这边一样,也没有人。 —-

.. “Then you shall judge yourself,” the king answered. “that is the most difficult thing of all.
“那你就要自己来审判,”国王回答道。“这是最困难的事情。 —-

It is much more difficult to judge oneself than to judge others.
自己来审判比审判他人要困难得多。 —-

If you succeed in judging yourself rightly, then you are indeed a man of true wisdom.” “Yes,” said the little prince, “but I can judge myself anywhere.
如果你能正确地审判自己,那么你确实是一个真正智慧的人。”“是的,”小王子说,“但我可以在任何地方审判自己。 —-

I do not need to live on this planet.
我不需要生活在这个星球上。” “嗯! —-

“Hum! Hum!” said the king. “I have good reason to believe that somewhere on my planet there is an old rat.
嗯!”国王说:“我有充分的理由相信,在我的星球上有一只老老鼠。我每晚都听到它的声音。 —-

I hear him at night.
” —-

You can judge this old rat.
你可以评判这只老老鼠。 —-

From time to time you will condemn him to death.
时不时地你将判他死刑。 —-

Thus his life will depend on your justice.
因此他的生命将依赖你的公正。 —-

But you will pardon him on each occasion;
但是每次你都要宽恕他; —-

for he must be treated thriftily.
因为他必须被节约对待。 —-

He is the only one we have.” “I,” replied the little prince, “do not like to condemn anyone to death.
他是我们唯一的一只。“我,”小王子回答道,“不喜欢判决任何人的死刑。 —-

And now I think I will go on my way.” “No,” said the king.
现在我想继续我的旅程。” “不,”国王说。 —-

But the little prince, having now completed his preparations for departure, had no wish to grieve the old monarch.
但是小王子既已准备好离开,又不想伤害这位老君王。 —-

“If Your Majesty wishes to be promptly obeyed,” he said, “he should be able to give me a reasonable order.
“如果陛下希望随即得到服从,”他说,“陛下应该给我下一个合理的命令。 —-

He should be able, for example, to order me to be gone by the end of one minute.
比如,陛下应该能够让我在一分钟内离开。 —-

It seems to me that conditions are favorable.
在我看来条件很有利. —-

..” As the king made no answer, the little prince hesitated a moment.
..” 国王没有回答,小王子犹豫了一下。 —-

Then, with a sigh, he took his leave.
然后,他叹了口气,离开了。 —-

“I made you my Ambassador,” the king called out, hastily. He had a magnificent air of authority.
“我让你成为我的大使,”国王急忙叫道,他有着威严的气质。 —-

“The grown-ups are very strange,” the little prince said to himself, as he continued on his journey.
“大人们很奇怪,”小王子自言自语地说着,继续他的旅程。