the little prince befriends the fox It was then that the fox appeared.
小王子与狐狸交朋友。就在那时,狐狸出现了。“早上好, —

“Good morning,” said the fox.
”狐狸说道。 —

“Good morning,” the little prince responded politely, although when he turned around he saw nothing.
“早上好,”小王子礼貌地回答道,虽然当他转过身来时什么也没看见。 —

“I am right here,” the voice said, “under the apple tree.” “Who are you?” asked the little prince, and added, “You are very pretty to look at.” “I am a fox,” said the fox.
“我就在这里,”声音说道,“就在苹果树下。”“你是谁?”小王子问道,并补充道,“你看起来很漂亮。”“我是一只狐狸,”狐狸说道。 —

“Come and play with me,” proposed the little prince.
“来和我一起玩吧,”小王子建议道。 —

“I am so unhappy.” “I cannot play with you,” the fox said.
“我很不开心。”“我不能和你一起玩,”狐狸说道。 —

“I am not tamed.” “Ah!
“我没有被驯养。”“啊! —

Please excuse me,” said the little prince.
“请原谅我,”小王子说道。 —

But, after some thought, he added:
但是经过一番思考,他又补充道: —

“What does that mean– ‘tame’?” “You do not live here,” said the fox.
“‘被驯养’是什么意思?”“你不住在这里,”狐狸说道。 —

“What is it that you are looking for?” “I am looking for men,” said the little prince.
“你在寻找什么?”“我在寻找人,”小王子说道。 —

“What does that mean– ‘tame’?” “Men,” said the fox. “They have guns, and they hunt. It is very disturbing.
“‘被驯养’是什么意思?”“人,”狐狸说道,“他们有枪,他们打猎。这很令人不安。 —

They also raise chickens.
他们还养鸡。 —

These are their only interests.
这是他们唯一的兴趣。 —

Are you looking for chickens?” “No,” said the little prince.
你是在寻找鸡吗?”“不,”小王子说。 —

“I am looking for friends.
“我正在找朋友。 —

What does that mean– ‘tame’?” “It is an act too often neglected,” said the fox.
那是什么意思——’驯服’?”“这是一种经常被忽视的行为,”狐狸说。 —

It means to establish ties.” “‘To establish ties’?” “Just that,” said the fox. “To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys.
“它意味着建立联系。”“’建立联系’?”“就是这样,”狐狸说。“对我来说,你还只是一个和其他十万个小男孩一样的孩子。 —

And I have no need of you.
我不需要你。 —

And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes.
而你,同样不需要我。对你来说,我只是和其他十万只狐狸一样的狐狸。 —

But if you tame me, then we shall need each other.
但是如果你驯服了我,我们就会彼此需要。对我来说, —

To me, you will be unique in all the world.
你将成为世界上独一无二的存在。 —

To you, I shall be unique in all the world.
对你来说, —

..” “I am beginning to understand,” said the little prince.
我将成为世界上独一无二的存在……” “我开始明白了,” 小王子说。 —

“There is a flower… I think that she has tamed me.
“有一朵花……我觉得她驯服了我……” “有可能,” —

..” “It is possible,” said the fox.
狐狸说。 —

“On the Earth one sees all sorts of things.” “Oh, but this is not on the Earth!” said the little prince.
“在地球上,人们可以看到各种各样的东西。” “哦,但这里不是地球!” 小王子说。 —

The fox seemed perplexed, and very curious. “On another planet?” “Yes.” “Are there hunters on this planet?” “No.” “Ah, that is interesting!
狐狸显得困惑而非常好奇。“在另一个星球上?”“是的。” “这个星球上有猎人吗?” “没有。” “啊,这很有趣! —

Are there chickens?” “No.” “Nothing is perfect,” sighed the fox.
那么有鸡吗?”“没有。” 狐狸叹了口气说:“没有什么是完美的。 —

But he came back to his idea.
” 但他又回到了他的想法。 —

“My life is very monotonous,” the fox said.
“我的生活非常单调。” 狐狸说: —

“I hunt chickens; men hunt me.
“我追逐鸡;人们追逐我。 —

All the chickens are just alike, and all the men are just alike.
所有的鸡都一模一样,所有的人也都一样。” —

And, in consequence, I am a little bored.
结果,我有点无聊。 —

But if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life .
但是如果你驯养我,那就好像太阳来到了我的生活中。 —

I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others.
我将会辨别出与众不同的脚步声。 —

Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground.
其他的脚步声会让我急忙钻回地下。 —

Yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow. And then look:
你的脚步声会像音乐一样召唤我出洞。然后看: —

you see the grain-fields down yonder?
你看到那边的麦田了吗?我不吃面包。 —

I do not eat bread. Wheat is of no use to me.
对我来说,小麦毫无用处。 —

The wheat fields have nothing to say to me.
麦田对我来说毫无意义。 —

And that is sad. But you have hair that is the colour of gold.
这很悲哀。但是你的头发金黄如金子。 —

Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me!
想象一下,当你驯养我后会是多么美妙! —

The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you.
麦子也是金黄色的,会让我想起你。 —

And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat.
我将喜欢倾听麦田间的风声. —

..” The fox gazed at the little prince, for a long time.
..狐狸长久地凝视着小王子。 —

“Please– tame me!” he said. “I want to, very much,” the little prince replied.
请…驯服我!他说。我很愿意,小王子回答道。 —

“But I have not much time.
但我没有太多时间。 —

I have friends to discover, and a great many things to understand.” “One only understands the things that one tames,” said the fox.
我还有朋友要认识,还有很多事情要理解。只有通过驯服才能真正理解事物,狐狸说。 —

“Men have no more time to understand anything.
人们已经没有时间去理解任何事情了。 —

They buy things all ready made at the shops.
他们在商店里买现成的东西。 —

But there is no shop anywhere where one can buy friendship, and so men have no friends any more.
但没有任何商店可以买到友谊,所以人们不再有朋友。如果你想要一位朋友, —

If you want a friend, tame me.
驯服我吧。 —

..” “What must I do, to tame you?” asked the little prince.
.. “我要如何才能驯服你?”小王子问道。 —

“You must be very patient,” replied the fox.
“你必须非常耐心。”狐狸回答。 —

“First you will sit down at a little distance from me– like that– in the grass.
首先,你会坐在离我稍远的地方,就像这样,坐在草地上。 —

I shall look at you out of the corner of my eye, and you will say nothing.
我会从眼角瞥见你,而你什么也不会说。 —

Words are the source of misunderstandings.
语言是误解的源头。 —

But yo u will sit a little closer to me, every day.
但每天你会离我更近一点。 —

..” The next day the little prince came back.
第二天小王子回来了。 —

“It would have been better to come back at the same hour,” said the fox.
“最好是在同样的时间回来,”狐狸说道。 —

“If, for example, you come at four o’clock in the afternoon, then at three o’clock I shall begin to be happy.
“比如说,如果你在下午四点钟来,那么在下午三点钟的时候我就会开始感到快乐了。 —

I shall feel happier and happier as the hour advances.
随着时间的推移,我会变得越来越快乐。 —

At four o’clock, I shall already be worrying and jumping about.
到了四点钟,我已经开始担心并跳来跳去了。 —

I shall show you how happy I am!
我会向你展示我有多么快乐! —

But if you come at just any time, I shall never know at what hour my heart is to be ready to greet you.
但是如果你随时来,我就永远不知道我的心要何时准备好迎接你。 —

.. One must observe the proper rites.
…人们必须遵守适当的仪式……”小王子问道: —

..” “What is a rite?” asked the little prince.
“什么是仪式?” —

“Those also are actions too often neglected,” said the fox. “They are what make one day different from other days, one hour from other hours.
“这些行为太常常被忽视了,”狐狸说:“它们使得一天与其他日子不同,一个小时与其他小时不同。 —

There is a rite, for example, among my hunters.
比如说,在我的猎人中间,有一个仪式。 —

Every Thursday they dance with the village girls.
每个星期四他们和村里的女孩跳舞。 —

So Thursday is a wonderful day for me!
所以星期四对我来说是个美好的日子! —

I can take a walk as far as the vineyards.
我可以散步到葡萄园去。” —

But if the hunters danced at just any time, every day would be like every other day, and I should never have any vacation at all.” So the little prince tamed the fox.
但是如果猎人们随时跳舞,每天都会如同其他的日子,我将永远没有假期可享。所以小王子驯服了狐狸。 —

And when the hour of his departure drew near– “Ah,” said the fox, “I shall cry.” “It is your own fault,” said the little prince.
当他离开的时候——“啊,”狐狸说,“我要哭了。”“这都是你自己的错,”小王子说。 —

“I never wished you any sort of harm;
“我从来没有想过要对你造成任何伤害; —

but you wanted me to tame you…” “Yes, that is so,” said the fox.
但是你要求我驯服你…” “是的,确实是这样,”狐狸说。 —

“But now you are going to cry!” said the little prince. “Yes, that is so,” said the fox. “Then it has done you no good at all!” “It has done me good,” said the fox, “because of the color of the wheat fields.” And then he added:
“但现在你要哭了!”小王子说。“是的,确实是这样,”狐狸说。“那么一切都对你没有帮助!”“它对我有帮助,”狐狸说,“因为麦田的颜色。” 然后他补充说: —

“Go and look again at the roses.
“去再次看看玫瑰花。 —

You will understand now that yours is unique in all the world.
你现在会明白,你的那朵是世界上独一无二的。 —

Then come back to say goodbye to me, and I will make you a present of a secret.” The little prince went away, to look again at the roses.
然后回来向我道别,我会送给你一个秘密。”小王子走开,再次看着玫瑰。 —

“You are not at all like my rose,” he said. “As yet you are nothing.
“你一点都不像我的玫瑰花,”他说。“你还什么都不是。 —

No one has tamed you, and you have tamed no one.
没有人驯服过你,你也未驯服任何人。 —

You are like my fox when I first knew him.
当我初次认识我的狐狸时,你就像他一样。 —

He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes.
他只是一只狐狸,和其他成千上万只狐狸一样。 —

But I have made him my friend, and now he is unique in all the world.” And the roses were very much embarrassed.
但我将他变成了我的朋友,现在他在全世界都是独一无二的。 玫瑰花们感到非常尴尬。 —

“You are beautiful, but you are empty,” he went on. “One could not die for you.
“你很美,但是你是空虚的,”他继续说道。“没有人会为你而死。” —

To be sure, an ordinary passerby would think that my rose looked just like you– the rose that belongs to me.
是的,路人看到我的玫瑰花会觉得她与你很相似—她是属于我的。 —

But in herself alone she is more important than all the hundreds of you other roses:
但单单她本身就比其他成百上千朵玫瑰花都更重要: —

because it is she that I have watered;
因为是我给她浇水; —

because it is she that I have put under the glass globe;
因为是我给她撑起玻璃罩; —

because it is she that I have sheltered behind the screen;
因为是我为她遮风挡雨; —

because it is for her that I have killed the caterpillars (except the two or three that we saved to become butterflies);
因为是我为了她除掉了毛毛虫(几个被我们救过来培养成蝴蝶的除外); —

because it is she that I have listened to, when she grumbled, or boasted, or even sometimes when she said nothing.
因为是我倾听了她,当她抱怨,夸耀,甚至有时候她一言不发。 —

Because she is my rose.
因为她是我的玫瑰花。 —

And he went back to meet the fox.
而他回去见狐狸时说道: —

“Goodbye,” he said.
“再见。” —

“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“再见。”狐狸说道。 —

“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
“现在,我告诉你一个非常简单的秘密: —

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
只有用心才能看清楚; —

what is essential is invisible to the eye.” “What is essential is invisible to the eye,” the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.
对于眼睛来说,真正重要的是看不见的。”“真正重要的是看不见的。”小王子重复着,这样他就能记住。 —

“It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.” “It is the time I have wasted for my rose–” said the little prince, so that he would be sure to remember.
“你浪费在你的玫瑰花身上的时间,正是使她变得如此重要的原因。”“我浪费在我的玫瑰花身上的时间——”小王子说道,这样他就能记住。 —

“Men have forgotten this truth,” said the fox. “But you must not forget it.
“人们已经忘记了这个真理,”狐狸说道。“但你不可以忘记。 —

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
你将永远对你所驯服的东西负责。你要对你的玫瑰负责。 —

You are responsible for your rose.
” —

..” “I am responsible for my rose,” the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.
“我要对我的玫瑰负责。”小王子重复着,这样他就会记住。