WHEN the snows came, grandfather once more took me to grandmother’ssister.
当雪花纷飞时,爷爷再次带我去见祖母的姐姐。

  “It will do you no harm,” he said to me.
“这不会对你有害,“他对我说。

I seemed to have had a wonderful lot of experience during the summer. —
整个夏天似乎经历了很多奇妙的事情。 —

Ifelt that I had grown older and cleverer, and the dullness of my master’shouse seemed worse than ever. —
我觉得自己长大了,变得更聪明了,而我的主人家的无聊似乎比以往更糟。 —

They fell ill as often as ever, upsetting theirstomachs with offensive poisons, and giv — ing one another detailedaccounts of the progress of their illnesses. —
他们仍然像往常一样频频生病,用令人恶心的毒药弄坏他们的胃,并彼此详细汇报病情的进展。 —

The old woman prayed to God inthe same terrible and malignant way. —
老女人的祈祷方式依旧那么可怕且恶毒。 —

The young mistress had grown thin,but she moved about just as pompously and slowly as when she wasexpecting her child. —
年轻的女主人变得瘦弱了,但她仍然像怀孕时一样摆出一副威严而慢悠悠的姿态。 —

When she stitched at the baby-clothes she always sangthe same song softly to herself:
她缝制婴儿衣服时总是轻声自唱着同一首歌:

  “Spiria, Spiria, Spiridon,Spiria, my little brother,I will sit in the sledge myselfAnd Spiria on the foot-board.”
“斯皮利亚,斯皮利亚,司皮里顿,斯皮利亚,我的弟弟,我会自己坐在雪橇上,而斯皮利亚站在车板上。”

  If any one went into the room she left off singing at once and criedangrily:
如果有人走进房间,她立刻停止唱歌,并生气地喊道:

  “What do you want?”
“你想干嘛?”

  I fully believed that she knew no other song but that.
我完全相信她只会那一首歌。

In the evenings they used to call me into the sitting-room, and the orderwas given: —
晚上他们常常叫我进客厅,然后给出指令: —

i8o“Now tell us how you lived on the boat.”
“现在告诉我们你是如何在船上生活的。”

I sat on a chair near the door and spoke. —
我坐在门边的椅子上讲述起来。 —

I liked to recall a different lifefrom this which I was forced to lead against my will. —
我喜欢回忆起我曾被迫过的与意愿不同的生活。 —

I was so interested that Iforgot my audience, but not for long.
我对此感兴趣以至于忘记了我的听众,但并没有持续很久。

  The women, who had never been on a boat, asked me:
那些从未乘过船的女性问我:

  “But it was very alarming, wasn’t it?”
“但那一定很吓人,对吧?”

  I did not understand. Why should it be alarming?
我不明白。为什么会吓人呢?

  “Why, the boat might go down any moment, and every one would bedrowned.”
“为什么呢,船随时可能沉没,所有人都会淹死。”

The master burst out laughing, and I, although I knew that boats did notsink just because there were deep places, could not convince the women. —
船老板大笑起来,我虽然知道船不会因为有深水而沉没,却无法说服那些女性。 —

Theold woman was certain that the boat did not float on the water, but wentalong on wheels on the bottom of the river, like a cart on dry land.
那位老妇人坚信船不是漂浮在水面上的,而是像马车那样靠在河底的轮子上行驶。

  “If they are made of iron, how can they float? An ax will not float; nofear!”
“如果它们是铁做的,怎么会漂浮呢?一把斧头是不会漂的,毫无疑问!”

  “But a scoop does not sink in the water.”
“但是一个舀斗在水里也不会下沉。”

  “There’s a comparison to make! A scoop is a small thing, nothing tospeak of.”
“这么个比喻!一个舀斗是小东西,不值一提。”

  When I spoke of Smouri and his books they regarded me with contempt.
当我提到斯穆里和他的书时,他们看我时充满了蔑视。

  The old lady said that only fools and heretics wrote books.
那位老太太说只有傻瓜和异端才会写书。

  “What about the Psalms and King David?”
“那圣诗和大卫王呢?”

  “The Psalms are sacred writings, and King David prayed God to forgivehim for writing the Psalms.”
“圣诗是神圣的著作,大卫王向上帝祈求原谅他写圣诗。”

  “Where does it say so?”
“它在哪里说?”

“In the palms of my hands; that’s where! —
“就在我的手掌中!那就是那里!” —

When I get hold of you by theneck you will learn where.”
“当我抓住你的脖子时,你就会明白在哪里了。”

  She knew everything; she spoke on all subjects with conviction andalways savagely.
她什么都知道;她对所有话题都信口开河,而且总是愤愤不平。

  “A Tatar died on the Pechorka, and his soul came out of his mouth asblack as tar.”
“一个鞑靼人在佩恰尔卡河上去世了,他的灵魂从嘴里飘出来,黑得跟焦油一样。”

  “Soul? Spirit?” I said, but she cried contemptuously :
“灵魂?精神?”我说道,但她蔑视地叫道:

  “Of a Tatar! Fool!”
“一个鞑靼人!糊涂!”

  The young mistress was afraid of books, too.
年轻女主人也害怕书籍。

  “It is very injurious to read books, and especially when you are young,”
“读书很有害,尤其是在你年轻的时候。”

she said. “At home, at Grebeshka, there was a young girl of good family whoread and read, and the end of it was that she fell in love with the deacon, andthe deacon’s wife so shamed her that it was terrible to see. —
她说。“在家里,在格列别什卡,有个出身不错的年轻女孩读书读书,结果她爱上了执事,执事的妻子就让她蒙受了极大的羞辱,看着实在是可怕。 —

In the street,before everybody.”
在街上,在众人面前。”

Sometimes I used words out of Smouri’s books, in one of which, onewithout beginning or end, was written, “Strictly speaking, no one personreally invented powder; —
有时我会用斯莫里书中的词汇,其中一本书里写着,“严格来说,没有人真正发明了火药; —

as is always the case, it appeared at the end of a longseries of minor observations and discoveries.” I do not know why Iremembered these words so well. —
正如通常的情况一样,它出现在一系列小的观察和发现之后。”我不知道为什么我记住了这些话。 —

What I liked best of all was the joining oftwo phrases, “strictly speaking, no one person really invented powder. —
我最喜欢的是将两个短语连在一起,“严格来说,没有人真正发明了火药。 —

” I wasaware of force underlying them ; —
”我意识到其中蕴含的力量; —

but they brought me sorrow, ludicrous sor— row. It happened thus.
但它们给我带来了悲伤,荒谬的悲伤。事情就是这样发生的。

  One day when my employers proposed that I should tell them aboutsomething which had happened on the boat I answered:
有一天,当我的雇主们建议我告诉他们关于船上发生的事情时,我回答说:

  “I haven’t anything left to tell, strictly speaking.”
“严格来说,我没有剩下什么可说的。”

  This amazed them. They cried:
这使他们很惊讶。他们喊道:

  “What? What’s that you said?’
“什么?你说什么?”

  And all four began to laugh in a friendly fashion, repeating :
四个人都友好地笑了起来,重复着:

  “‘Strictly speaking,’ — ah. Lord!”
“‘严格来说’ — 啊。天哪!”

  Even the master said to me :
甚至主人对我说:

  “You have thought that out badly, old fellow.”
“你这老家伙想得真糟糕。”

  And for a long time after that they used to call me:
“嘿,‘严格说来’,过来,帮宝宝擦地板,严格说来。”

  “Hi, ‘strictly speaking,’ come here and wipe up the floor after the baby,strictly speaking.”
这种愚蠢的玩笑话并没有伤害到我,但却让我大为惊奇。

This stupid banter did not offend, but it greatly surprised, me. —
我沉浸在令人昏昏欲睡的悲伤中,努力工作以抵抗它。 —

I lived in afog of stupefying grief, and I worked hard in order to fight against it. —
工作时,我并未感到自己不称职。家里有两个小孩。 —

I didnot feel my inefficiencies when I was at work. In the house were two youngchildren. —
保姆从来都不讨家庭主妇的喜欢,经常被更换。 —

The nurses never pleased the mistresses, and were continuallybeing changed. —
我不得不侍奉孩子,每天洗宝宝的衣服,每周要去詹达尔姆斯基喷泉冲洗衣物。 —

I had to wait upon the children, to wash baby-clothes everyday, and every week I had to go to the Jandarmski Fountain to rinse thelinen. —
在那里,洗衣女工们嘲笑我: —

Here I was derided by the washerwomen:
“你干嘛做女人的活?”

  “Why are you doing women’s work?”
有时候她们逼得我无法忍受,我就用湿漉漉的衣物抽打她们。

Sometimes they worked me up to such a pitch that I slapped them withthe wet, twisted linen. —
她们大方地还击了我,但我觉得她们开朗有趣。 —

They paid me back generously for this, but I foundthem merry and interesting.
詹达尔姆斯基喷泉沿着深深的堤坝流淌,最终注入奥卡河中。堤坝将城镇与一个被称为亚里洛的领域分隔开来。

The Jandarmski Fountain ran along the bottom of a deep causeway andfell into the Oka. The causeway cut the town off from the field which wascalled, from the name of an ancient god, Yarilo. —
在那片田野上,靠近塞米卡,城镇居民建了一个漫步道。 —

On that field, near Semika,the inhabitants of the town had made a promenade. —
祖母告诉我,在她年轻的时候,人们还信仰亚里洛,并向他献祭。 —

Grandmother had toldme that in the days of her youth people still believed in Yarilo and offeredsacrifices to him. —
Grandmother had toldme that in the days of her youth people still believed in Yarilo and offeredsacrifices to him. —

They took a wheel, covered it with tarred tow, and let it rolldown the hill with cries and songs, watching to see if the burning wheelwould roll as far as the Oka. If it did, the god Yarilo had accepted thesacrifice; —
他们用车轮涂抹了沥青的麻绳,让它沿着山坡滚动,伴随着呼喊和歌声,观察着燃烧的车轮是否会滚到奥卡河。如果成功了,那就意味着神恩的雅利洛接受了祭品; —

the summer would be sunny and happy.
夏天将会是阳光明媚的快乐时光。

The washerwomen were for the most part from Yarilo, bold, headstrongwomen who had the life of the town at their finger-ends. —
多数洗衣妇来自雅利洛,她们是勇敢、任性的女人,掌握着城镇生活的方方面面。 —

It was veryinteresting to hear their tales of the merchants, chinovniks and officers forwhom they worked. —
听她们讲述那些商人、官员和军官的故事很有趣。 —

To rinse the linen in winter in the icy water of the riverwas work for a galley-slave. —
冬天在冰冷的河水中漂洗衣物,简直就像是苦役。 —

All the women had their hands so frost-bittenthat the skin was broken. —
所有的女人手指都被冻伤,皮肤破裂了。 —

Bending over the stream, inclosed in a woodentrough, under an old penthouse full of crevices, which was no protectionagainst either wind or snow, the women rinsed the linen. —
弯腰在木槽里,站在一个充满裂缝的破旧棚子下面,这既不能阻挡风雪,也不能保护她们免受严寒之苦,女人们在河水中漂洗衣物。 —

Their faces wereflushed, pinched by the frost. The frost burned their wet fingers ; —
面庞因严寒而憋红,冻伤的湿漉漉的手指火辣辣地疼,已经弯曲不起来了。 —

they couldnot bend them. Tears trickled from their eyes, but they chatted all the time,telling one another different stories, bearing themselves with a peculiarbravery toward every one and everything.
眼泪从她们的眼睛里滴下来,但她们却不停地闲聊,相互讲述着不同的故事,对所有人和一切都表现出特有的勇气。

The best of all the stories were told by Natalia Kozlovski, a woman ofabout thirty, fresh-faced, strong, with laughing eyes and a peculiarly facileand sharp tongue. —
最精彩的故事都是由娜塔莉娅·科兹洛夫斯基讲述的,一个大约三十岁的女人,面容清新、强壮,眼睛明亮而具有敏锐的舌头。 —

All her companions had a high regard for her; —
她的所有伙伴都对她赞不绝口; —

she wasconsulted on all sorts of affairs, and much admired for her skill in work, forthe neatness of her attire, and because she had been able to send herdaughter to the high school. —
在各种事务上都要征求她的意见,并因她的工作技巧、服装整洁以及成功送女儿上了高中而受到极高的尊敬。 —

When, bending under the weight of two basketsof wet linen, she came down the hill on the slippery footpath, they greetedher gladly, and asked solicitously:
当她扛着两筐湿衣物下山时,脚下的小路又滑又难走,她的同伴们都欢迎她,关切地询问着:

  “Well, and how is the daughter?”
“嗯,女儿怎么样了?”

  “Very well, thank you; she is learning well, thank God!”
“非常好,谢谢;她学得很好,感谢上帝!”

  “Look at that now! She will be a lady.”
“看啊!她会成为一位淑女。”

“That’s why I am having her taught. Where do the ladies with the paintedfaces come from? —
“这就是为什么我让她接受教育。那些脸上涂着化妆品的女士们是从哪里来的呢?” —

They all come from us, from the black earth. And whereelse should they come from? —
“他们都是来自我们,来自黑土。难道还能来自哪里吗?” —

He who has the most knowledge has the longestarms and can take more, and the one who takes the most has the honor andglory. —
“拥有最多知识的人拥有最长的臂膀,可以得到更多;而拿到最多的人则拥有荣誉和光荣。” —

God sends us into the world as stupid children and expects to take usback as wise old people, which means that we must learn!”
“上帝将我们作为愚蠢的孩子送入这个世界,希望将我们作为智慧的老人带回来,这意味着我们必须学习!”

When she spoke every one was silent, listening attentively to her fluent,self-confident speech. They praised her to her face and behind her back,amazed at her cleverness, her intellect ; —
“当她说话时,每个人都静静地听着,专注地听着她流利、自信的发言。他们当面表扬她,背地里惊叹她的聪明才智;” —

but no one tried to imitate her. Shehad sewn brown leather from the leg of a boot, over the sleeve of her bodicewhich saved her from the necessity of baring her arms to the elbow, andprevented her sleeves from getting wet. —
“但没有人试图模仿她。她用靴子的皮革缝在她的外衣袖子上,这样既避免了她不得不露出手臂到肘部的必要,又避免了她的袖子被弄湿。” —

They all said what a good idea it was,but not one of them followed her example. —
“他们都称赞这个主意多么不错,但没有人效仿她的做法。” —

When I did so they laughed at me.
“当我这样做时,他们嘲笑我。”

“Ekh, you! Letting a woman teach you!” With reference to her daughtershe said: —
“额,你!让一个女人教你!”谈到她的女儿时,她说: —

“That is an important affair. There will be one more young lady inthe world. —
“那是一件重要的事情。世界上将多一个年轻淑女。” —

Is that a small thing? But of course she may not be able to finishher studies ; she may die. —
“这不是小事吧?但当然她可能无法完成她的学业;她可能会去世。” —

And it is not an easy life for those who arestudents, you see. —
“对于那些学生来说,它并不是一种容易的生活,你看。” —

There was that daughter of the Bakhilovs. —
“还有那位巴希洛夫的女儿。” —

She studied andstudied, and even became a teacher herself. —
“她学习了又学习,甚至成为了一名老师。” —

Once you become a teacher, youknow, you are settled for life.”
一旦你成为一名老师,你知道,你就会安定下来一生。

“Of course, if they marry, they can do without education; —
“当然,如果他们结婚了,他们就可以不用受教育; —

that is, if theyhave something else to recom — mend them.”
那就是,如果他们有其他可以推荐他们的东西。”

“A woman’s wit lies not in her head. —
“一个女人的智慧不在于她的头脑。 —

” It was strange and embarrassing tohear them speak about themselves with such lack of reticence. —
”听到他们如此毫不保留地谈论自己,真是奇怪而尴尬。 —

I knew howsailors, soldiers, and tillers of the soil spoke about women. —
我知道水手、士兵和农民是如何谈论女人的。 —

I heard menalways boasting among themselves of their skill in deceiving women, ofcunning in their relations with them. —
我听到男人们总是在彼此间吹嘘他们欺骗女人的技巧,谈论他们与女人的关系中的狡猾之处。 —

I felt that their attitude toward“females” was hostile, but generally there was a ring of something in theseboastings which led me to suppose that these stories were merely brag,inventions, and not the truth.
我感觉到他们对“女性”的态度是敌对的,但一般来说,这些吹嘘中总是带有一种使我推断这些故事只是吹嘘、虚构的感觉,而不是真相。

  The washerwomen did not tell one another about their love adventures,but in whatever they said about men I detected an undercurrent of derision,of malice, and I thought it might be true that woman was strength.
洗衣妇们并不互相讲述她们的爱情冒险,但在她们所说的有关男人的话语中,我察觉出一种讥讽的、恶意的潜流,我想女人是有力量的可能是真的。

“Even when they don’t go about among their fellows and make friends,they come to women, every one of them! —
“即使他们不在同伴间走动交友,他们也会来找女人,所有的人都会找女人! —

” said Natalia one day, and an oldwoman cried to her in a rheumy voice:
”娜塔莉娅有一天这样说道,一个老妇人用风湿的声音对她说:

  “And to whom else should they go? Even from God monks and hermitscome to us.”
“他们还能去找谁呢?即使是修道僧和隐士也会来找我们。”

These conversations amid the weeping splash of the water, the slappingof wet clothes on the ground, or against the dirty chinks, which not even thesnow could hide with its clean cover — these shameless, maliciousconversations about secret things, about that from which all races andpeoples have sprung, roused in me a timid disgust, forced my thoughts andfeelings to fix themselves on “the romances” which surrounded and irritatedme. —
这些对话伴随着哭泣声和水声的拍打声,或者水洗得湿淋淋的衣服在地上或在冻结都不能完全遮掩的污渍上拍打的声音——这些无耻、恶意的对话探讨秘密的事情,探讨这一切民族和种族都起源于的事物,使我产生了一种胆怯的反感,迫使我的思想和感情集中在围绕着并激怒我的“浪漫”上。 —

For me the understanding of the “romances” was closely intertwinedwith representations of obscure, immoral stories.
对我来说,对“浪漫”的理解与模糊的、不道德的故事密切相连。

However, whether I was with the washerwomen, or in the kitchen withthe orderlies or in cellars where lived the field laborers, I found it much moreinteresting than to be at home, where the stilted conversa — tions werealways on the same lines, where the same things happened over and overagain, arousing nothing but a feeling of constraint and embittered bore —dom. —
不过,无论我和洗衣妇们在一起,或者和勤杂人员在厨房里,或者在卫生间与田间劳作者一起住在地下室,我发现这比待在家里要有趣得多,那里的生活总是固定的,同样的事情一遍又一遍地发生,只会引起压抑和苦涩的乏味感。 —

My employers dwelt within the magic circle of food, illness, sleep, andthe anxieties attendant on preparing for eating and sleeping. —
我的雇主们生活在食物、疾病、睡眠以及为吃饭和睡觉做准备时产生的焦虑的魔法圈子中。 —

They spoke ofsin and of death, of which they were much afraid. —
他们谈论罪恶和死亡,对此非常害怕。 —

They rubbed against oneanother as grains of corn are rubbed against the grindstone, which theyexpect every moment to crush them. —
他们互相摩擦,就像玉米粒被摩磨轮那样,他们随时都担心被粉碎。 —

In my free time I used to go into theshed to chop wood, desiring to be alone. —
在闲暇时间,我常常去棚子里砍木头,渴望独处。 —

But that rarely happened. Theorderlies used to come and talk about the news of the yard.
但那很少发生。勤务兵们会过来谈论院子里的新闻。

Ermokhin and Sidorov came more often than the others. —
尔莫欣和西多罗夫比其他人来得更频繁。 —

The former wasa long, bow-backed Kalougan, with thick, strong veins all over him, a smallhead, and dull eyes. —
前者是一个长背的卡卢干人,静脉粗壮,头小,眼睛无神。 —

He was lazy and irritatingly stupid; he moved slowly andclumsily, and when he saw a woman he blinked and bent forward, just as ifhe were going to throw himself at her feet. —
他懒散而令人烦躁;行动迟缓笨拙,看到女人时眨巴眨巴眼睛,弯腰前倾,就好像要投奔女人脚下一样。 —

All the yard was amazed by hisswift conquest of the cooks and the maids, and envied him. —
全院人都对他迅速地征服厨师和女仆感到惊讶,羡慕他。 —

They were allafraid of his bear-like strength. —
他们都害怕他像熊一样的力量。 —

Sidorov, a lean, bony native of Tula, wasalways sad, spoke softly, and loved to gaze into dark corners. —
西多罗夫是个消瘦的图拉人,总是忧郁,说话轻声,喜欢凝视黑暗角落。 —

He would relatesome incident in a low voice, or sit in silence, looking into the darkest corner.
他会用低声讲述一些事情,或者静坐沉默,盯着最黑暗的角落。

  “What are you looking at?”
“你在看什么?”

  “I thought I saw a mouse running about. I love mice ; they run to and froso quietly.”
“我觉得看到老鼠跑来跑去。我喜欢老鼠;它们跑来跑去那么安静。”

I used to write letters home for these orderlies — love-letters. —
我常为这些勤务兵写回家的信—情书。 —

I liked this,but it was pleasanter to write letters for Sidorov than for any of the others.
我喜欢这样做,但为斯多罗夫写信比任何其他人更愉快。

  Every Saturday regularly he sent a letter to his sister at Tula.
每个星期六他都定期给居住在图拉的姐姐写信。

  He invited me into his kitchen, sat down beside me at the table, and,rubbing his close-cropped hair hard, whispered in my ear :
他邀请我进入厨房,坐在桌旁,用力揉着紧凑的头发,低声对我说:

“Well, go on. Begin it as it ought to be begun. —
“好了,继续。该怎么开始写才对。 —

‘My dearest sister, may yoube in good health for many years’ — you know how it ought to go. —
‘我最亲爱的妹妹,请你身体健康多年’ — 你知道应该怎么写。 —

And nowwrite, ‘I received the ruble; only you need not have sent it. But I thank you. —
现在写,‘我收到了卢布;其实你不需要寄。但我还是要谢谢你。 —

Iwant for nothing; we live well here.’ As a matter of fact, we do not live at allwell, but like dogs; —
我什么都不缺;我们这里生活得很好。’ 而事实上,我们根本就没好好生活,活得像狗一样; —

but there is no need to write that. Write that we live well.
但没必要写那个。写我们过得很好。

She is little, only fourteen years old. Why should she know? —
她很小,只有十四岁。她为什么要知道呢? —

Now write byyourself, as you have been taught.”
现在按照你所学写出来。”

  He pressed upon me from the left side, breathing into my ear hotly andodorously, and whispered perseveringly :
他从左边向我施压,热气腾腾地喘着,执著地低语着:

“Write ‘if any one speaks tenderly to you, you are not to believe him. —
“写‘如果有人对你温柔,你不要相信他。 —

Hewants to deceive you, and ruin you.’ ”
他想欺骗你,害了你。’

His face was flushed by his effort to keep back a cough. —
他为了忍住咳嗽而涨红了脸。 —

Tears stood in hiseyes. He leaned on the table and pushed against me.
他眼泪盈眶。他倚在桌子上紧贴在我身上。

  “You are hindering me!”
“你在阻碍我!”

“It is all right; go on I ‘Above all, never believe gentlemen. —
“没关系,继续吧。‘最重要的是,千万不要相信绅士们。 —

They will leada girl wrong the first time they see her. They know exactly what to say. —
第一次见到一个女孩他们就会把她引入歧途。他们清楚该说些什么。 —

And ifyou have saved any money, give it to the priest to keep for you, if he is a goodman. —
如果你存了一些钱,交给神父保管,如果他是个好人的话。 —

But the best thing, is to bury it in the ground, and remember the spot.’
但最好的办法,是把它埋在地里,记住地点。”

  ”
“  ”

  It was miserable work trying to listen to this whisper, which wasdrowned by the squeaking of the tin ventilator in the fortochka, I looked atthe blackened front of the stove, at the china cupboard covered with flies.
在横杆(-?-)厨房小门上金属帘子发出的吱吱声盖过了这耳语,我看着炉子上黑乎乎的一面,看着挂满苍蝇的瓷橱柜。

The kitchen was certainly very dirty, overrun with bugs, redolent with anacrid smell of burnt fat, kerosene, and smoke. —
厨房确实很脏,到处是虫子,散发着烧焦油脂、煤油和烟熏的刺鼻气味。 —

On the stove, among the sticksof wood, cockroaches crawled in and out. —
在炉子上,木头间,蟑螂上上下下爬动。 —

A sense of melancholy stole overmy heart. —
一种忧郁感袭上我心头。 —

I could have cried with pity for the soldier and his sister. —
我几乎忍不住为那个士兵和他的姐姐哭泣。 —

Was itpossible, was it right that people should live like this?
人们居然要这样过活,这可能吗,这对吗?

I wrote something, no longer listening to Sidorov’s whisper. —
我写着什么,不再倾听西多罗夫的细语。 —

I wrote ofthe misery and repulsiveness of life, and he said to me, sighing:
我写着生活的悲惨和令人厌恶,他叹着气对我说:

  “You have written a lot; thank you. Now she will know what she has to beafraid of.”
“你写了很多;谢谢。现在她会知道她应该害怕什么了。”

  “There is nothing for her to be afraid of,” I said angrily, although I wasafraid of many things myself.
“她没什么好害怕的,”我生气地说,尽管我自己害怕许多事情。

  The soldier laughed, and cleared his throat.
士兵笑了笑,清了清嗓子。

“What an oddity you are! How is there nothing to be afraid of? —
“你真是个怪人!难道就没有什么可害怕的吗? —

Whatabout gentlemen, and God? Isn’t that something?”
绅士们呢,上帝呢?难道不是什么吗?”

  When he received a letter from his sister he said restlessly :
当他收到姐姐的一封信时,他不安地说道:

  “Read it, please. Be quick!”
“请快点读吧!”

  And he made me read the badly scrawled, insultingly short, andnonsensical letter three times.
他让我三次快速读那封写得糟糕、简短又无意义的信。

He was good and kind, but he behaved toward women like all the others; —
他善良友好,但对待女性的行为却像所有其他人一样; —

that is, with the primitive coarseness of an animal. —
即以动物般原始的粗鲁行为。 —

Willingly and unwillingly,as I observed these affairs, which often went on under my eyes, beginningand ending with striking and impure swiftness, I saw Sidorov arouse in thebreast of a woman a kind feeling of pity for him in his soldier’s life, thenintoxicate her with tender lies, and then tell Ermokhin of his conquest,frowning and spitting his disgust, just as if he had been taking some bittermedicine. —
愿意或不愿意,当我目睹这些事务,它们经常在我的眼前进行,开始和结束迅速而污秽时,我看到斯多罗夫在一位女性心中引起了对他在军人生活中的怜悯感,然后用深情的谎言使她陶醉,然后告诉耶尔莫金他的征服,皱眉并吐出恶心,就好像他正在吃苦良药一样。 —

This made my heart ache, and I angrily asked the soldiers whythey all deceived women, lied to them, and then, jeering among themselvesat the woman they had treated so, gave her away and often beat her.
这让我的心痛,我愤怒地问士兵为什么他们都欺骗女性,对她们撒谎,然后在彼此之间戏弄那些他们如此对待的女人,出卖她们,甚至经常殴打她们。

  One of them laughed softly, and said :
其中一人轻声笑道:

“It is not necessary for you to know anything about such things. —
“你没有必要了解这些事情。 —

It is allvery bad; it is sin. You are young; —
这全都非常糟糕;这是罪。你还年轻; —

it is too early for you.”
“对于你来说,现在还太早了。”

  But one day I obtained a more definite answer, which I have alwaysremembered.
但有一天,我得到了一个更明确的答案,我始终记得。

“Do you think that she does not know that I am deceiving her? —
“你认为她不知道我在欺骗她吗? —

” he said,blinking and coughing. “She kno-o-ows. She wants to be deceived.
”他眨眼咳嗽着说。“她知道。她希望被欺骗。

Everybody lies in such affairs ; they are a disgrace to all concerned. —
在这些事情里,每个人都撒谎;它们对所有相关人员都是耻辱。 —

There isno love on either side; it is simply an amusement. —
双方都没有爱;这只是一种娱乐。 —

It is a dreadful disgrace.
这是一种可怕的耻辱。

Wait, and you will know for yourself. —
等一等,你自己就会知道。 —

It was for that God drove them out ofparadise, and from that all unhappiness has come.”
为此,上帝才赶走他们出了伊甸园,而所有不幸都由此而来。”

He spoke so well, so sadly, and so penitently that he reconciled me alittle to these “romances. —
他说得那么好,那么悲哀,那么忏悔,以至于我对这些“浪漫故事”有了一点好感。 —

” I began to have a more friendly feeling toward himthan towards Ermokhin, whom I hated, and seized every oc — casion ofmocking and teasing. —
“我开始对他比对Ermokhin更友好,我讨厌Ermokhin,并且利用一切机会嘲笑和取笑他。 —

I succeeded in this, and he often pursued me across theyard with some evil design, which only his clumsiness prevented him fromexecuting.
我成功了,他经常在院子里追赶我,但只有他的笨拙阻止了他实施某些邪恶设计。

  “It is forbidden,” went on Sidorov, speaking of women.
“禁止的,”Sidorov继续说到女人。

That it was forbidden I knew, but that it was the cause of humanunhappiness I did not believe. —
我知道这是禁止的,但我不相信这是人类不幸的原因。 —

I saw that people were unhappy, but I did notbelieve what he said, because I sometimes saw an extraordinary expressionin the eyes of people in love, and was aware of a peculiar tenderness in thosewho loved. —
我看到人们不幸,但我不相信他所说的,因为我有时在恋爱中的人眼中看到一种特殊的表情,并意识到那些相爱的人身上有一种特殊的温柔。 —

To witness this festival of the heart was always pleasant to me.
见证这个节日总是让我感到愉快。

  However, I remember that life seemed to me to grow more and moretedious, cruel, fixed for ever in those forms of it which I saw from day to day.
然而,我记得生活对我来说似乎越来越乏味,残酷,永远固定在我每天看到的那些形式中。

  I did not dream of anything better than that which passed interminablybefore my eyes.
我没有梦想比我眼前无休止地经历的更好的东西。

But one day the soldiers told me a story which stirred me deeply. —
但有一天,士兵们告诉我一个让我深感震撼的故事。 —

In oneof the flats lived a cutter-out, employed by the best tailor in the town, a quiet,meek foreigner. —
一个公寓里住着一个裁缝,是镇上最好的裁缝雇佣的,一个安静,温和的外国人。 —

He had a little, childless wife who read books all day long.
他有一个没有孩子的妻子,整天都在看书。

Over the noisy yard, amid houses full of drunken people, these two lived,invisible and silent. —
在嘈杂的院子里,住着一群醉鬼,这两个人生活在那里,看不见,安静。 —

They had no visitors, and never went anywherethemselves except to the theater in holiday-time.
他们没有访客,也从不去别处,除非是假日时去剧院。

The husband was engaged from early morning until late at night. —
丈夫从早到晚都在工作。 —

Thewife, who looked like an undersized girl, went to the library twice a week. —
妻子看起来像一个个子不高的姑娘,每周去图书馆两次。 —

Ioften saw her walking with a limp, as if she were slightly lame, as far as thedike, carrying books in a strap, like a school-girl. —
我经常看到她走路时稍微一瘸一拐,好像是有点跛腿,背着背带上的书,就像一个女学生。 —

She looked unaffected,pleasant, new, clean, with gloves on her small hands. —
她看起来不做作,愉快,新鲜,干净,手上戴着手套。 —

She had a face like abird, with little quick eyes, and everything about her was pretty, like aporcelain figure on a mantel-shelf. —
她有着鸟一样的小眼睛,所有关于她的东西都很漂亮,像壁炉架上的瓷器人偶。 —

The soldiers said that she had some ribsmissing in her left side, and that was what made her sway so curiously as shewalked; —
士兵说她左边缺了几根肋骨,所以她走路时会摇摇晃晃; —

but I thought this very nice, and at once set her above all the otherladies in the yard — the officers’ wives. —
但我觉得这很好,立刻将她放在了院子里的所有其他女士——军官的妻子之上。 —

The latter, despite their loud voices,their variegated attire, and haut tournure had a soiled look about them, as ifthey had been lying forgotten for a long time, in a dark closet among otherunneeded things.
后者尽管声音洪亮,服饰华丽,举止高傲,但却有一种肮脏的外观,好像它们已经被遗忘了很长时间,在一个黑暗的壁橱中和其他不需要的东西一起躺着。

The little wife of the cutter-out was regarded in the yard as half witted. —
裁缝的小妻子在院子里被视为半疯狂。 —

Itwas said that she had lost her senses over books, and had got into such acondition that she could not manage the housekeeping; —
据说她是因为书疯了,患上了一种无法打理家务的状态; —

that her husbandhad to go to the market himself in search of provisions, and order the dinnerand supper of the cook, a great, huge foreign female. —
她的丈夫不得不亲自去市场买食物,并向厨师——一个高大强壮的外国女人订购晚餐和午餐。 —

She had only one redeye, which was always moist, and a narrow pink crevice in place of the other.
她只有一只 红色的眼睛,总是湿润的,另一只的地方只有一个狭窄的粉红色裂缝。

She was like her mistress, they said of her. —
他们说她和她的女主人很像。 —

She did not know how to cook adish of fried veal and onions properly, and one day she ignominiously boughtradishes, thinking she was buying parsley. —
他们说她不会炒牛排和洋葱,有一天她居然羞辱地买了萝卜,以为是买了香菜。 —

Just think what a dreadful thingthat was IAll three were aliens in the building, as if they had fallen by accident intoone of the compartments of a large hen-house. —
想想那有多可怕!他们三人在这栋建筑物里都是外来者,好像意外地掉进了一个大鸡舍的隔间里。 —

They reminded me of a titmousewhich, taking refuge from the frost, flies through the fortochka into astifling and dirty habitation of man.
他们让我想起一只山雀,为了躲避寒冷,飞过小门进入了人类一个令人窒息而肮脏的居所。

And then the orderlies told me how the officers had played an insultingand wicked trick on the tailor’s little wife. —
然后勤务员告诉我,军官们给裁缝的小妻子玩了一次侮辱性和恶毒的把戏。 —

They took turns to write her aletter every day, declaring their love for her, speaking of their sufferings andof her beauty. —
他们轮流每天给她写一封信,宣称他们爱她,谈论他们的痛苦和她的美丽。 —

She answered them, begging them to leave her in peace,regretting that she had been the cause of unhappiness to any one, andpraying God that He would help them to give up loving her. —
她回信给他们,请求他们让她平静,遗憾地说自己给任何人带来不快,并祈求上帝帮助他们放弃爱她。 —

When any one ofthem received a letter like that, they used to read it all together, and thenmake up another letter to her, signed by a different person.
当他们中的任何一个人收到像那样的来信,他们会一起读完,然后编写另一封回信给她,署名另一人。

  When they told me this story, the orderlies laughed too, and abused thelady.
他们告诉我这个故事时,勤务员也笑了,辱骂着那位小姐。

  “She is a wretched fool, the crookback,” said Ermokhin in a bass voice,and Sidorov softly agreed with him.
“她是个可怜的傻瓜,那个歪嘴小鸟,”厄莫克欣低沉地说道,西多罗夫轻声附和。

  “Whatever a woman is, she likes being deceived. She knows all about it.”
“无论一个女人是什么样,她喜欢被欺骗。她全都明白。”

I did not believe that the wife of the cutter-out knew that they werelaughing at her, and I resolved at once to tell her about it. —
我不相信裁剪匠的妻子知道他们在嘲笑她,我立刻决定告诉她。 —

I watched for thecook to go down into the cellar, and I ran up the dark staircase to the flat ofthe little woman, and slipped into the kitchen. —
我等着厨子下到地下室,然后跑上黑暗的楼梯来到那位小女人的公寓,悄悄进入厨房。 —

It was empty. I went on to thesitting-room. The tailor’s wife was sitting at the table. —
里面空无一人。我继续走向客厅。裁缝的妻子坐在桌子旁。 —

In one hand she held aheavy gold cup, and in the other an open book. —
她手里拿着一个沉重的金杯,在另一只手里拿着一本打开的书。 —

She was startled. Pressing thebook to her bosom, she cried in a low voice :
她吓了一跳,把书紧紧地压在怀里,低声说:

  “Who is that? Angus te! Who are you?”
“那是谁?安格斯吗!你是谁?”

I began to speak quickly and confusedly, expecting every minute that shewould throw the book at me. —
我开始迅速而紗乱地说话,每分每秒都准备着她可能会向我扔书。 —

She was sitting in a large, raspberry-coloredarm-chair, dressed in a pale-blue wrap with a fringe at the hem and lace onthe collar and sleeves over her shoulders was spread her flaxen, wavy hair.
她坐在一个大大的栗子色扶手椅里,穿着一件带着褶边的淡蓝色包裹,蕾丝装饰着领口和袖口,披在肩上的是她金灿灿的波浪发。

She looked like an angel from the gates of heaven. —
她看起来就像一个天堂之门的天使。 —

Leaning against the backof her chair, she looked at me with round eyes, at first angrily, then insmiling surprise.
靠在椅背上,她用圆圆的眼睛看着我,一开始是愤怒的,然后转为微笑。

  When I had said what I wanted to say, and, losing my courage, turned tothe door, she cried after me :
当我说完我想说的话,失去勇气,转身往门口走时,她在我后面喊道:

  “Wait!”
“等一下!”

  Placing the cup on the tray, throwing the book on the table, and foldingher hands, she said in a husky, grown-up voice:
把杯子放在托盘上、把书扔在桌子上、双手交叉,她用沙哑而成熟的声音说:

  “What a funny boy you are! Come closer!”
“你真是个有趣的男孩!过来!”

  I approached very cautiously. She took me by the hand, and, stroking itwith her cold, small fingers, said :
我非常谨慎地走近。她拉着我的手,用她冰冷而纤细的手指抚摸着,说道:

“Are you sure that no one sent you to tell me this? No? —
“你确定没有人派你来告诉我这件事吗?没有? —

All right; I seethat you thought of it yourself.”
好吧;我明白你是自己想到的。”

  Letting my hand go, she closed her eyes, and said softly and drawingly:
她放开我的手,闭上眼睛,轻声说道:

  “So that is how the soldiers speak of me?”
“士兵们就是这样说我的?”

  “Leave this place,” I advised her earnestly.
“离开这个地方,”我诚恳地劝告她。

  “Why?’
“为什么?”

  “They will get the better of you/’
“他们会占上风的。”

  She laughed pleasantly. Then she asked :
她愉快地笑了。然后问道:

  “Do you study ? Are you fond of books?”
“你学习吗?你喜欢读书吗?”

  “I have no time for reading.”
“我没时间读书。”

  “If you were fond of it, you would find the time. Well, thank you.”
“如果你喜欢的话,你会找到时间的。好的,谢谢。”

She held out a piece of silver money to me, grasped between her firstfinger and her thumb. —
她用食指和拇指夹着一枚银币递给我。 —

I felt ashamed to take that cold thing from her, but Idid not dare to refuse. —
我感到很羞愧接受她递过来的冰冷的东西,但我又不敢拒绝。 —

As I went out, I laid it on the pedestal of the stair-banisters.
当我走出去时,我把它放在了楼梯扶手的基座上。

I took away with me a deep, new impression from that woman. —
我从那个女人身上带走了深刻而新的印象。 —

It was asif a new day had dawned for me. —
对我来说,仿佛是一个新的一天到来了。 —

I lived for several days in a state of joy,thinking of the spacious room and the tailor’s wife sitting in it, dressed inpale blue and looking like an angel. —
我在一种欣喜的状态中生活了几天,想着宽敞的房间和坐在里面的裁缝妻子,穿着淡蓝色,看起来像一个天使。 —

Everything around her was unfamiliarlybeautiful. A dull-gold carpet lay under her feet; —
她周围的一切都是陌生而美丽的。她脚下铺着一块黄铜地毯; —

the winter day lookedthrough the silver panes of the window, warming itself in her presence. —
冬日透过窗户的银色玻璃看着那温暖自己的样子。 —

Iwanted very much to look at her again. How would it be if I went to her andasked her for a book?
我非常想再次看她。如果我去找她要一本书会怎样呢?

I acted upon this idea. Once more I saw her in the same place, also with abook in her hand; —
我采取了这个想法。我再次看到她在同一个地方,手里拿着一本书; —

but she had a red handkerchief tied round her face, andher eyes were swollen. —
但她用红手帕捂着脸,眼睛肿了。 —

As she gave me a book with a black binding, sheindistinctly called out something.
当她给我一本黑色封面的书时,她含糊地喊了点什么。

I went away feeling sad, carrying the book, which smelt of creosote andaniseed drops. —
我伤心地离开了,带着那本闻起来像煤焦油和茴香糖的书。 —

I hid it in the attic, wrapping it up in a clean shirt and somepaper; —
我把它藏在阁楼上,用一件干净的衬衣和一些纸包起来; —

for I was afraid that my employers might find it and spoil it.
因为我担心我的雇主会发现它并把它弄脏。

They used to take the “Neva” for the sake of the patterns and prizes, butthey never read it. —
他们买《尼瓦报》是为了图案和奖品,但他们从不阅读它。 —

When they had looked at the pictures, they put it away ina cupboard in the bedroom, and at the end of the year they had been bound,placing them under the bed, where already lay three volumes of “The Reviewof Painting. —
他们看完图片后,把它收起来放在卧室的橱柜里,到年底时它们已经被装订好,放在床底下,那里已经放着三卷《绘画评论》。 —

” When I washed the floor in the bedroom dirty water flowedunder these books. —
当我在卧室擦地板时,脏水就会流到这些书下面。 —

The master subscribed to the “Russian Courier,” butwhen he read it in the evening he grumbled at it.
主人订阅了《俄国信使》,但晚上读时总是抱怨。

  “What the devil do they want to write all this for? Such dull stuff!”
“他们到底想写这些干什么?这么无聊!”

On Saturday, when I was putting away the linen in the attic, Iremembered about the book. —
星期六,我在阁楼整理亚麻布时,想起了那本书。 —

I undid it from its wrappings, and read the firstlines: —
我把它从包裹中打开,读了第一行: —

“Houses are like people; they all have physiognomies of their own.”
“房子就像人;它们都有自己的面容。”

The truth of this surprised me, and I went on reading farther, standing at thedormer-window until I was too cold to stay longer. —
这个真理让我感到惊讶,我继续读下去,站在小窗户前,直到冷得无法再待下去。 —

But in the evening, whenthey had gone to vespers, I carried the book into the kitchen and buriedmyself in the yellow, worn pages, which were like autumn leaves. —
但晚上他们去参加晚祈祷时,我把书拿到厨房,埋头于那些黄色的破旧页面中,那些就像秋叶一样。 —

Withouteffort, they carried me into another life, with new names and new standards,showed me noble heroes, gloomy villains, quite unlike the people with whomI had to do. —
毫不费力地把我带入另一个生活,新名字和新标准,向我展示了高尚的英雄,阴郁的恶棍,与我所熟悉的人完全不同。 —

This was a novel by Xavier de Montepaine. —
这是一本由赛维尔·德·蒙特庞伊撰写的小说。 —

It was long, likeall his novels, simply packed with people and incidents, describing anunfamiliar, vehement life. —
就像他所有的小说一样,这本书很长,充满了人物和事件,描绘了一个陌生而激烈的生活。 —

Everything in this novel was wonderfully clear andsimple, as if a mellow light hid — den between the lines illuminated the goodand evil. —
这本小说中的一切都惊人地清晰简单,好坏仿佛被隐藏在行间发着柔和的光。 —

It helped one to love and hate, compelling one to follow withintense interest the fates of the people, who seemed so inextricablyentangled. —
它帮助我去爱和恨,迫使我强烈地关注这些人的命运,他们似乎被错综复杂地缠绕在一起。 —

I was seized with sudden desires to help this person, to hinderthat, forgetting that this life, which had so unexpectedly opened before me,had its existence only on paper. —
我突然产生了想要帮助这个人,阻止那个人的愿望,忘记了这个出乎意料地展现的生活仅仅存在于纸上。 —

I forgot everything else in the excitingstruggles. —
在激动人心的斗争中,我忘记了一切。 —

I was swallowed up by a feeling of joy on one page, and by a feelingof grief on the next.
在接下来的一页中,我被喜悦之情吞没,然后在下一页中被悲伤之情淹没。

I read until I heard the bell ring in the front hall. —
我读到前厅门铃响起。 —

I knew at once who itwas that was ringing, and why.
我立即知道是谁在敲门,以及为什么。

The candle had almost burned out. The candle-stick, which I had cleanedonly that morning, was covered with grease; —
蜡烛已经快要烧完了。那个早上刚擦干净的蜡烛台上沾满了脂肪; —

the wick of the lamp, which Iought to have looked after, had slipped out of its place, and the flame hadgone out. —
我本应该好好照看的灯芯脱离了位置,火焰熄灭了。 —

I rushed about the kitchen trying to hide the traces of my crime. —
我在厨房里急忙地试图隐藏我罪行的痕迹。 —

Islipped the book under the stove-hole, and began to put the lamp to rights.
我把书塞进炉孔下,开始整理灯。

  The nurse caine running out of the sitting-room.
保姆跑出客厅。

  “Are you deaf? They have rung!”
“你聋了吗?他们已经按了门铃!”

  I rushed to open the door.
我冲过去打开门。

“Were you asleep?” asked the master roughly. —
“你在睡觉吗?”主人粗声粗气地问道。 —

His wife, mounting thestairs heavily, complained that she had caught cold. —
他的妻子沉重地上楼,抱怨说自己感冒了。 —

The old lady scolded me.
老太太责备我。

In the kitchen she noticed the burned-out candle at once, and began to askme what I had been doing. —
在厨房她立刻注意到烧尽的蜡烛,开始询问我在做什么。 —

I said nothing. I had only just come down fromthe heights, and I was all to pieces with fright lest they should find the book.
我什么也没说。我刚从高处下来,吓得四处找书藏。

She cried out that I would set the house on fire. —
她大叫我会把房子烧着。 —

When the master and hiswife came down to supper she complained to them.
主人和他的妻子下楼吃晚饭时,她抱怨道。

  “There, you see, he has let the candle gutter, he will set the house onfire.”
“你看,他让蜡烛燃烧过大,会把房子烧着的。”

While they were at supper the whole four of them lashed me with theirtongues, reminding me of all my crimes, wilful and involuntary, threateningme with perdition; —
他们吃晚饭时,四个人一起责骂我,提醒我所有的罪行,无论是蓄意的还是无意的,威胁我说会堕入地狱; —

but I knew quite well that they were all speaking not fromill-feeling, or for my good, but simply because they were bored. —
但我很清楚,他们说这些并不是出于恶意或为了我好,只是因为他们感到无聊。 —

And it wascurious to observe how empty and foolish they were compared with thepeople in books.
很有趣的观察到他们和书中人物相比是多么空洞愚蠢。

When they had finished eating, they grew heavy, and went wearily tobed. —
当他们吃完饭后,就变得沉重,疲倦地上床睡觉了。 —

The old woman, after disturbing God with her angry complaints, settledher — self on the stove and was silent. —
老妇人在向上帝抱怨后,坐到火炉上静默了。 —

Then I got up, took the book from thestove-hole, and went to the window. —
然后我起身,从火炉口取下书,走向窗户。 —

It was a bright night, and the moonlooked straight into the window ; —
那是一个明亮的夜晚,月亮直射进窗户。 —

but my sight was not good enough to seethe small print. My desire to read was tormenting me. —
但我的视力不够好,看不清小字。 —

I took a brasssaucepan from the shelf and reflected the light of the moon from it on thebook; —
我从架子上拿了一个黄铜锅,让月光照射在书上; —

but it became still more difficult and blurred. —
但变得更加困难和模糊。 —

Then I betook myself tothe bench in the corner where the icon was, and, standing upon it, began toread by the light of the small lamp. —
然后我走到角落的长凳上,靠在挂着圣像的地方,站在上面,开始用小灯的光线阅读。 —

But I was very tired, and dozed, sinkingdown on the bench. —
但我非常疲倦,打着瞌睡,坐在长凳上。 —

I was awakened by the cries and blows of the old woman.
老妇人的哭声和打骂声把我从睡梦中惊醒。

She was hitting me painfully over the shoulders with the book, which sheheld in her hand. —
她用手中拿着的书在我肩膀上痛苦地打我。 —

She was red with rage, furiously tossing her brown head,barefooted, and wearing only her night-dress. —
她被愤怒染红了脸,光着脚丫,穿着睡衣,用力地摇晃着她的棕色头发。 —

Victor roared from the loft:
维克多从阁楼里吼道:

  “Mamasha, don’t make such a noise! You make life unbearable.”
“妈妈,别这么吵!你让人生不如死。”

  “She has found the book. She will tear it up!” I thought.
“她找到书了。她要把它撕碎!”我心想。

  My trial took place at breakfast-time. The master asked me, sternly:
我的审判发生在早餐时间。主人严厉地问我:

  “Where did you get that book?”
“你从哪里弄到那本书的?”

The women exclaimed, interrupting each other. —
女人们都惊呼,互相打断对方。 —

Victor sniffedcontemptuously at the pages and said:
维克多鄙视地嗅了一下书页,说道:

  “Good gracious! what does it smell of?”
“天哪!这是什么味道?”

Learning that the book belonged to the priest, they looked at it again,surprised and indignant that the priest should read novels. —
他们得知这本书是牧师的后,又惊讶又愤怒地看了一遍,不相信牧师竟然会看小说。 —

However, thisseemed to calm them down a little, though the master gave me another longlecture to the effect that reading was both injurious and dangerous.
但是,这似乎稍微平息了他们的情绪,尽管主人又给我上了一堂长长的训诫课,说阅读既有害又危险。

  “It is the people who read books who rob trains and even commitmurders.”
“看书的人才是抢劫火车,甚至犯凶杀案的人。”

  The mistress cried out, angry and terrified :
女主人生气又惊恐地喊道:

  “Have you gone out of your mind? What do you want to say such thingsto him for?”
“你疯了吗?为什么对他说这种话?”

  I took Montepaine to the soldier and told him what had happened.
我把蒙特佩恩带给了士兵,并告诉了他发生了什么事。

  Sidorov took the book, opened a small trunk, took out a clean towel, and,wrapping the novel in it, hid it in the trunk.
西多罗夫拿起书,打开一个小箱子,拿出一条干净的毛巾,把小说包起来,藏在箱子里。

“Don’t you take any notice of them. Come and read here. I shan’t tell anyone. —
“别理会他们。来这里读书。我不会告诉任何人。 —

And if you come when I am not here, you will find the key hangingbehind the icon. —
如果我不在的时候你来了,你会发现钥匙挂在圣像后面。 —

Open the trunk and read.”
打开箱子,开始阅读。”

The attitude my employers had taken with regard to the book raised it tothe height of an important and terrible secret in my mind. —
我的雇主对这本书的态度使我心中将其提高到了一个重要而可怕的秘密的高度。 —

That some“readers” had robbed a train or tried to murder some one did not interestme, but I remembered the question the priest had asked me in confession,the reading of the gymnasiast in the basement, the words of Smouri, the“proper books,” and grandfather’s stories of the black books of freemasonry.
有些“读者”抢劫了一列火车或试图谋杀某人并不让我感兴趣,但我记得神父在忏悔时问过我的问题,地下室里的中学生读书,斯莫里的话,“适当的书”,以及祖父讲述的共济会的黑书故事。

  He had said:
他曾说:

“In the time of the Emperor Alexander Pavlovich of blessed memory thenobles took up the study of ‘black books’ and freemasonry. —
“在至高无上的亚历山大·帕夫洛维奇皇帝时代,贵族们开始研究‘黑书’和共济会。 —

They planned tohand over the whole Russian people to the Pope of Rome, if you please! —
他们计划把整个俄罗斯人民送给罗马教皇,如果你愿意! —

ButGeneral Arakcheev caught them in the act, and, without regard to theirposition, sent them all to Siberia, into prison. —
但是阿拉克切耶夫将军抓住了他们,不顾他们的地位,把他们全部送到了西伯利亚,投进监狱。 —

And there they were ;exterminated like vermin.”
他们在那里被消灭,就像蟑螂一样。”

  I remembered the “umbra” of Smouri’ s book and “Gervase” and thesolemn, comical words:
我记得斯莫里书中的“阴影”和“格瓦斯”,以及那庄严而又古怪的话:

  Profane ones who are curious to know our business,Never shall your weak eyes spy it out!
“好奇我们的事务的俗人,永远也不会看到!

I felt that I was on the threshold of the discovery of some great secret, andwent about like a lunatic. —
我感到我快要发现某个伟大秘密的门槛,像个疯子一样四处乱走。 —

I wanted to finish reading the book, and was afraidthat the soldier might lose it or spoil it somehow. —
我想要读完这本书,担心士兵会弄丢或者弄坏它。 —

What should I say to thetailor’s wife then?
那么我应该对裁缝的妻子说什么?

  The old woman watched me sharply to see that I did not run to theorderly’s room, and taunted me :
老太太用锐利的目光看着我,以防我跑到勤务兵的房间,然后讥讽道:

“Bookworm! Books! They teach dissoluteness. Look at that woman, thebookish one. —
“书虫!书籍!他们教坏。看看那个女人,那个爱读书的。 —

She can’t even go to market herself. All she can do is to carry onwith the officers. —
她甚至不能自己去市场。她只会与军官们往来。 —

She receives them in the daytime. I kno-o-w.”
她白天接待他们。我知道。”

I wanted to cry, “That’s not true. —
我想要大声喊,“那不是真的。 —

She does not carry on,” but I was afraidto defend the tailor’s wife, for then the old woman might guess that the bookwas hers.
她没有纵欲行为”,但我害怕为裁缝的妻子辩护,否则老太太可能猜到那本书是她的。

I had a desperately bad time of it for several days. —
我度过了几天非常痛苦的时光。 —

I was distracted andworried, and could not sleep for fear that Montepaine had come to grief.
我分心又忧虑,睡不着觉,害怕蒙特佩恩出了什么事。

  Then one day the cook belonging to the tailor’s household stopped me in theyard and said :
然后有一天,裁缝家的厨师在院子里拦住我,说道:

  “You are to bring back that book.”
“你要把那本书拿回去。”

I chose the time after dinner, when my employers lay down to rest, andappeared before the tailor’s wife embarrassed and crushed. —
我选择了午饭后的时间,雇主躺下休息后,尴尬又压抑地出现在裁缝的妻子面前。 —

She looked nowas she had the first time, only she was dressed differently. —
她看起来和第一次见到她时一样,只是穿着不同。 —

She wore a grayskirt and a black velvet blouse, with a turquoise cross upon her bare neck.
她穿着灰色的裙子和黑丝绒衬衫,颈部佩戴着一枚蓝宝石十字架。

  She looked like a hen bullfinch. When I told her that I had not had time toread the book, and that I had been forbidden to read, tears filled my eyes.
她看起来像只母金翅雀。当我告诉她我没有时间读这本书,而且被禁止阅读时,眼泪涌上了眼眶。

  They were caused by mortification, and by joy at seeing this woman.
这是由屈辱和见到这个女人而引起的喜悦。

  “Too! what stupid people!” she said, drawing her fine brows together.
“可笑!这些人太愚蠢了!”她说,皱起了细长的眉毛。

“And your master has such an interesting face, too! —
“而且你的主人的脸也很有趣! —

Don’t you fret about it. Iwill write to him.”
别为此而担心。我会给他写信。”

“You must not! Don’t write!” I begged her. “They will laugh at you andabuse you. —
“你不能这样!不要写!”我请求她。“他们会嘲笑你并辱骂你。 —

Don’t you know that no one in the yard likes you, that they alllaugh at you, and say that you are a fool, and that some of your ribs aremissing?”
难道你不知道院子里没人喜欢你吗,他们都笑话你,说你是个傻瓜,有的说你连肋骨都丢了?”

As soon as I had blurted this out I knew that I had said somethingunnecessary and insulting to her. —
我一说出这句话就知道我说了一些不必要且侮辱性的话。 —

She bit her lower lip, and clapped herhands on her hips as if she were riding on horseback. —
她咬着下唇,双手叉腰,仿佛在骑马一样。 —

I hung my head inconfusion and wished that I could sink into the earth; —
我羞愧地低下了头,希望自己能沉入大地; —

but she sank into achair and laughed merrily, saying over and over again:
但她沉入一把椅子,开心地笑着,一遍又一遍地说:“哦,多愚蠢!多愚蠢!那么,该怎么办呢?

“Oh, how stupid I how stupid! Well, what is to be done? —
”她看着我,问道。然后她叹了口气,说,“你是个奇怪的男孩,非常奇怪。” —

” she asked,looking fixedly at me. Then she sighed and said, “You are a strange boy, verystrange.”
我瞥了一眼她旁边的镜子,看到高高的颧骨和短鼻子的脸,额头上有一个大伤痕,头发久未剪辑,乱糟糟地往四处竖起。

Glancing into the mirror beside her, I saw a face with high cheek-bonesand a short nose, a large bruise on the forehead, and hair, which had notbeen cut for a long time, sticking out in all directions. —
她称那是“一个奇怪的男孩”。 —

That is what she called“a strange boy. —
将军顾语言区有限,无法通过非官方渠道提供有关服务,详情请咨询主管部门。 —

” The strange boy was not in the least like a fine porcelainfigure.
“这个奇怪的男孩一点也不像一尊精美的瓷器人物。”

  “You never took the money that I gave you. Why?”
“你从来没有拿走我给你的钱。为什么?”

  “I did not want it.”
“我不想要。”

  She sighed.
她叹了口气。

  “Well, what is to be done? If they will allow you to read, come to me andI will give you some books.”
“嗯,怎么办?如果他们允许你阅读,就来找我,我会给你一些书。”

On the mantel-shelf lay three books. The one which I had brought backwas the thickest. —
在壁炉架上放着三本书。我带回来的那本是最厚的。 —

I looked at it sadly. The tailor’s wife held out her small, pinkhand to me.
我沮丧地看了看它。裁缝的妻子伸出她纤细的粉红色手给我。

  “Well, good-by!”
“好了,再见!”

  I touched her hand timidly, and went away quickly.
我胆怯地触摸了她的手,然后迅速离开。

  It was certainly true what they said about her not knowing anything.
“她什么都不懂”他们说的肯定是真的。

  Fancy calling two grevines money! It was just like a child.
“想象一下把两枚铜币当成钱!就像一个小孩子一样。”

  But it pleased me.
但这让我高兴。