BEFORE the departure of the tailor’s wife there had come to live under theflat occupied by my employers a black-eyed young lady, with her little girland her mother, a gray-haired old woman, everlastingly smoking cigarettesin an amber mouthpiece. —
在裁缝的妻子离开之前,楼下住进了一个黑眼睛的年轻女士,和她的小女儿以及戴着琥珀烟斗的灰发老妇人一起住在那里。 —

The young lady was very beautiful, imperious, andproud. She spoke in a pleasant, deep voice. —
这位年轻女士非常美丽、傲慢和自豪。她用一种愉悦而深沉的声音说话。 —

She looked at every one withhead held high and unblinking eyes, as if they were all far away from her,and she could hardly see them. —
她昂首挺胸,眼睛不眨地看着每个人,仿佛他们离她很远,她几乎看不清他们。 —

Nearly every day her black soldier-servant,Tuphyaev, brought a thin-legged, brown horse to the steps of her flat. —
几乎每天,她的黑人士兵仆人图菲亚夫会把一匹细腿、棕色的马带到她的门前。 —

Thelady came out in a long, steel-colored, velvet dress, wearing white gauntletedgloves and tan boots. —
这位女士穿着一条长长的钢灰色天鹅绒裙子,戴着白色长打手套和棕色靴子。 —

Holding the train of her skirt and a whip with a lilac-colored stone in its handle in one hand, with the other little hand shelovingly stroked the horse’s muzzle. —
用一只手托着裙摆,另一只手里握着一个紫丁香色石柄的鞭子,她爱怜地抚摸着马的鼻子。 —

He fixed his great eyes upon her,trembling all over, and softly trampled the soaked ground under his hoofs.
马把巨大的眼睛盯着她,全身发颤,用蹄子轻轻地踩在湿漉漉的地面上。

  “Robaire, Robaire,” she said in a low voice, and patted the beautiful,arched neck of the steed with a firm hand.
“罗贝尔,罗贝尔”,她低声说着,用坚定的手轻拍着优美的马颈。

Then setting her foot on the knee of Tuphyaev, she sprang lightly into thesaddle, and the horse, prancing proudly, went through the gateway. —
然后她踩着图菲亚夫的膝盖,轻盈地跃上马鞍,马昂首昂地走出大门。 —

She satin the saddle as easily as if she were part of it. —
她坐在马鞍上,就像是一体的一部分。 —

She was beautiful with thatrare kind of beauty which always seems new and wonderful, and always fillsthe heart with an intoxicating joy. —
她拥有一种罕见的美丽,总是新奇而美好,总是让人心醉神迷。 —

When I looked at her I thought that Dianaof Poitiers, Queen Margot, the maiden La Valliere, and other beauties,heroines of historical novels, were like her.
当我看着她时,我觉得波尔图的黛安娜、玛格丽特皇后、芙萝拉小姐等历史小说中的美女像她一样。

She was constantly surrounded by the officers of the division which wasstationed in the town, and in the evenings they used to visit her, and play thepiano, violin, guitar, and dance and sing. —
她经常被驻扎在城里的分师的军官们围绕着,他们晚上常常拜访她,弹钢琴、小提琴、吉他,跳舞唱歌。 —

The most frequent of her visitorswas Major Olessov, who revolved about her on his short legs, stout, red-faced, gray-haired, and as greasy as an engineer on a steamboat. —
她最经常的访客是奥列索夫少校,他在她身旁不停地转圈,矮小、脸红、灰发、像是蒸汽船上的工程师一样油腻。 —

He playedthe guitar well, and bore himself as the humble, devoted servant of the lady.
他弹吉他弹得很好,表现得像是这位女士的虔诚、忠实的仆人。

As radiantly beautiful as her mother was the little five-year-old, curly-haired, chubby girl. —
她五岁的时候,卷发浓密,圆圆胖胖的身影丽若她的母亲一般美丽动人。 —

Her great, dark-blue eyes looked about her gravely,calmly expectant, and there was an air of thoughtfulness about her whichwas not at all childish.
她那双深蓝色的大眼睛端详地四处张望,平静地等待着,身上散发出一股不太像孩子的思考气息。

Her grandmother was occupied with housekeeping from morning tonight, with the help of Tuphyaev, a morose, taciturn man, and a fat, cross-eyed housemaid. —
她的祖母整日忙于家务,要和那个冷漠寡言的图普亚耶夫以及一个又胖又斜眼的女仆一起完成,从早到晚都忙碌不停。 —

There was no nursemaid, and the little girl lived almostwithout any notice being taken of her, playing about all day on the frontsteps or on a heap of planks near them. —
没有保姆,这小姑娘几乎没人在意,整天在门前台阶上或者木板堆旁边玩耍。 —

I often went out to play with her inthe evenings, for I was very fond of her. —
我经常在晚上和她一起出去玩,因为我很喜欢她。 —

She soon became used to me, andwould fall asleep in my arms while I was telling her a story. —
她很快就习惯了我,听我讲故事时会在我怀里睡着。 —

When thishappened, I used to carry her to bed. —
当这种情况发生时,我会把她抱到床上。 —

Before long it came about that shewould not go to sleep, when she was put to bed, unless I went to say goodnight to her. —
不久后,她每晚被放到床上后都不肯睡觉,除非我去和她道晚安。 —

When I went to her, she would hold out her plump hand with agrand air and say :
当我去找她时,她会伸出她那圆润的手,端庄地说:

  “Good-by till tomorrow. Grandmother, how ought I to say it?”
“明天见,奶奶,我应该怎么说?”

  “God preserve you!” said the grandmother, blowing a cloud of dark-bluesmoke from her mouth and thin nose.
“上帝保佑你!”祖母说着,从嘴巴和细长的鼻子里吐出一团深蓝色的烟雾。

  “God preserve you till tomorrow! And now I am going to sleep,” said thelittle girl, rolling herself up in the bedclothes, which were trimmed with lace.
“上帝永远保佑你!现在我要睡觉了。”小姑娘蜷缩着身子说,她的被褥上镶着蕾丝。

  The grandmother corrected her.
祖母纠正她。

  “Not till tomorrow, but for always.”
“不是明天,而是永远。”

  “But doesn’t tomorrow mean for always?”
“可明天不就是永远吗?”

She loved the word “tomorrow,” and whatever pleased her specially shecarried forward into the future. —
她喜欢“明天”这个词,无论她特别喜欢的事情是什么,她总是将它带到未来。 —

She would stick into the ground flowers thathad been plucked or branches that had been broken by the wind, and say :
她会把采摘的花或被风折断的树枝插在地里,说道:

  “Tomorrow this will be a garden.”
“明天这里就会是一个花园。”

  “Tomorrow, some time, I shall buy myself a horse, and ride on horsebacklike mother.”
“明天,总有一天,我会给自己买一匹马,像妈妈一样骑马。”

  She was a clever child, but not very lively, and would often break off inthe midst of a merry game to become thoughtful, or ask unexpectedly:
她是一个聪明的孩子,但不是很活泼,经常在玩得开心时突然变得沉思,或者出乎意料地问道:

  “Why do priests have hair like women ?”
“为什么神父的头发像女人的?”

  If she stung herself with nettles, she would shake her finger at them,saying:
如果她被荨麻刺到了,她会摇着手指对它们说:

“You wait! I shall pray God to do something vewy bady to you. —
“你等着!我会祈求上帝对你们做一些坏事。 —

God cando bad things to every one; He can even punish mama. —
上帝可以对每个人做坏事;甚至可以惩罚妈妈。” —

” Sometimes a soft,serious melancholy descended upon her. —
有时候,她会陷入柔和、认真的忧郁情绪中。 —

She would press close to me, gazingup at the sky with her blue, expectant eyes, and say:
她会紧紧地靠在我身边,仰望着天空,用她那蓝色的期待的眼睛,说道:

  “Sometimes grandmother is cross, but mama never; she on’y laughs.
“有时奶奶会生气,但妈妈从不生气;她只会笑。

Every one loves her, because she never has any time. —
每个人都爱她,因为她从来没有时间。 —

People are alwayscoming to see her and to look at her because she is so beautiful. —
人们总是来看她,因为她非常漂亮。 —

She is ‘ovely,mama is. ‘Oseph says so — ‘ovely!”
她是可爱的,妈妈是。约瑟夫也这么说 - 可爱!”

  I loved to listen to her, for she spoke of a world of which I knew nothing.
我喜欢听她说话,因为她谈论的世界对我来说是未知的。

She spoke willingly and often about her mother, and a new life graduallyopened out before me. —
她愿意而又经常地谈论她的母亲,而我渐渐看到了一个新生活的模样。 —

I was again reminded of Queen Margot, whichdeepened my faith in books and also my interest in life. —
我又想起了《玛戈王后》,这加深了我对书籍的信仰,也增加了我对生活的兴趣。 —

One day when I wassitting on the steps waiting for my people, who had gone for a walk, and thelittle girl had dozed off in my arms, her mother rode up on horseback, spranglightly to the ground, and, throwing back her head, asked :
有一天,我坐在台阶上等待我的人,他们出去散步了,小女孩在我怀里打盹,她母亲骑马过来,轻巧地跃下马背,向后仰了什么头,问道:

  “What, is she asleep?”
“她睡着了吗?”

  “Yes.”
“是的。”

  “That’s right.”
“很好。”

The soldier Tuphyaev came running to her and took the horse. —
士兵图普雅耶夫跑过去接过马。 —

She stuckher whip into her belt and, holding out her arms, said:
她把鞭子插在腰带里,伸出手臂说:

  “Give her to me!”
“把她给我!”

  “I’ll carry her in myself.”
“我自己抱进去。”

  “Come on!” cried the lady, as if I had been a horse, and she stamped herfoot on the step.
“来吧!”女士好像我是一匹马一样,跺着脚在台阶上。

  The little girl woke up, blinking, and, seeing her mother, held out herarms to her. They went away.
小女孩眨着眼睛醒来,看到她母亲,伸出胳膊。她们走了。

  I was used to being shouted at, but I did not like this lady to shout at me.
我习惯于被大声呵斥,但我不喜欢这位女士对我大声呵斥。

  She had only to give an order quietly, and every one obeyed her.
她只需轻声下令,每个人都会服从她。

In a few minutes the cross-eyed maid came out for me. —
过了几分钟,那位斜视的女仆出来接我了。 —

The little girl wasnaughty, and would not go to sleep without saying good night.
那个小女孩很淘气,不肯不说晚安就睡觉。

  It was not without pride in my bearing toward the mother that I enteredthe drawing-room, where the little girl was sitting on the knees of hermother, who was deftly undressing her.
我走进客厅以得体的态度对待母亲,那位小女孩坐在母亲的腿上,母亲正在熟练地帮她脱衣。

  “Here he is,” she said. “He has come — this monster.”
“他来了,”她说,“这个怪物。”

  “He is not a monster, but my boy.”
“他不是怪物,是我的孩子。”

  “Really? Very good. Well, you would like to give something to your boy,wouldn’t you?”
“真的吗?很好。你肯定想给你的孩子点什么吧。”

  “Yes, I should.”
“是的,我愿意。”

  “A good idea! I will see to it, and you will go to bed.”
“好主意!我会处理的,你现在就去睡觉吧。”

  “Good-by till tomorrow,” said the little girl, holding out her hand to me.
“明天见,”小女孩向我伸出手说。

  “God preserve you till to — morrow!”
“愿上帝保佑你直到明天!”

  The lady exclaimed in surprise:
女士惊讶地说:

  “Who taught you to say that? Grandmother?’
“是谁教你说这话的?奶奶?”

  “Ye-es.”
“嗯,是的。”

  When the child had left the room the lady beckoned to me.
孩子离开房间后,女士向我招手。

  “What shall we give you?”
“我们给你什么好呢?”

  I told her that I did not want anything; but could she let me have a bookto read?
我告诉她我什么都不想要;但可以让我借一本书看吗?

  She lifted my chin with her warm, scented fingers, and asked, with apleasant smile:
她用温暖、带香味的手指抬起我的下巴,带着愉悦的微笑问道:

  “So you are fond of reading? Yes; what books have you read?”
“你喜欢读书吗?那你读过哪些书呢?”

When she smiled she looked more beautiful than ever. —
她微笑时比以往任何时候都更加美丽。 —

I confusedly toldher the names of several books.
我一脑子雾水地报出了几本书的名字。

“What did you find to like in them? —
“你在这些书里找到了什么吸引你的地方?”她问着,把手搁在桌上,手指轻轻地动了一下。 —

” she asked, laying her hand on thetable and moving her fingers slightly.
一股浓烈而甜美的花香飘散开来,掺杂着马汗的气味。她透过浓密的睫毛,若有所思地凝视着我。

A strong, sweet smell of some sort of flowers came from her, mixed withthe odor of horse-sweat. She looked at me through her long eyelashes,thoughtfully grave. —
从来没有人像她那样看着我。 —

No one had ever looked at me like that before.
房间里的家具软绵绵地挤得跟鸟巢一样。

The room was packed as tightly as a bird’s nest with beautiful, softfurniture. —
窗户上挂着厚重的绿色窗帘; —

The windows were covered with thick green curtains; —
炉子上雪白的瓷砖在微弱的灯光中闪闪发光; —

the snowywhite tiles of the stove gleamed in the half-light; —
炉子旁边闪亮的是黑色钢琴的光滑表面; —

beside the stove shone theglossy surface of a black piano; —
墙上用深金色框架装裱的,是用大大的俄文字体写成的暗色文字。 —

and from the walls, in dull-gold frames,looked dark writings in large Russian characters. —
每块字体下方用绳子悬挂着一个大大的暗色印章。 —

Under each writing hung alarge dark seal by a cord. —
每一样东西都静悄悄的。 —

Everything about her looked at that woman ashumbly and timidly as I did.
她的一切看起来就像我那样,那样谦卑和胆怯地看着那个女人。

  I explained to her as well as I could that my life was hard anduninteresting and that reading helped me to forget it.
我尽可能向她解释,我的生活艰难、乏味,而阅读帮助我忘记它。

“Yes; so that’s what it is,” she said, standing up. —
“是的,就是这样。”她说着站了起来。 —

“It is not a bad idea, and,in fact, it is quite right. Well, what shall we do? —
“这不是一个坏主意,实际上,非常正确。那么,我们该怎么做呢? —

I will get some books for you,but just now I have none. —
我会给你找些书,但我现在没有。 —

But wait! You can have this one.”
但等等!你可以看这本。”

  She took a tattered book with a yellow cover from the couch.
她从沙发上拿起一本带黄色封面的破旧书。

  “When you have read this I will give you the second volume; there arefour.”
“当你看完这本,我会给你第二卷;这是四卷。”

I went away with the “Secrets of Peterburg,” by Prince Meshtcheski, andbegan to read the book with great attention. —
我拿着遗孀公爵梅什捷斯基的《彼得堡秘密》,开始认真地阅读这本书。 —

But before I had read manypages I saw that the Peterburgian “secrets” were considerably less interestingthan those of Madrid, Lon — don, or Paris. The only part which took myfancy was the fable of Svoboda (Liberty) and Palka (stick).
但没读多少页,我就看出彼得堡的“秘密”远没有马德里、伦敦或巴黎的那般有趣。唯一吸引我的地方是关于斯沃博达(自由)和帕尔卡(棒)的寓言。

  “I am your superior,” said Svoboda, “because I am cleverer.”
“我比你聪明,所以我比你优秀。”斯沃博达说。

  But Palka answered her:
但帕尔卡回答她:

  “No, it is I who am your superior, because I am stronger than you.”
“不,我比你优秀,因为我比你更强壮。”

They disputed and disputed and fought about it. —
他们争论不休,最终打了起来。 —

Palka beat Svoboda,and, if I remember rightly, Svoboda died in the hospital as the result of herinjuries.
帕尔卡打败了斯沃博达,如果我没记错,斯沃博达因伤在医院去世。

There was some talk of nihilists in this book. —
这本书中提到了虚无主义者。 —

I remember that, accordingto Prince Meshtcheski, a ni — hilist was such a poisonous person that hisvery glance would kill a fowl. —
记得,根据梅什切夫斯基王子所说,一个虚无主义者是如此有毒,以至于他的眼神能杀死一只禽鸟。 —

What he wrote about nihilists struck me asbeing offensive and rude, but I un derstood nothing else, and fell into a stateof melan — choly. —
他对虚无主义者的描述让我感到冒犯和粗鲁,但我什么也不明白,陷入了忧郁的境地。 —

It was evident that I could not appreciate good books; —
很明显,我无法欣赏好书; —

for Iwas convinced that it was a good book. —
因为我确信这是一本好书。 —

Such a great and beautiful lady couldnever read bad books.
如此伟大而美丽的女士永远不会读烂书。

  “Well, did you like it?” she asked me when I took back the yellow novelby Meshtcheski.
“那你喜欢吗?”当我把梅什切夫斯基的黄色小说还给她时,她问我。

  I found it very hard to answer no ; I thought it would make her angry.
我觉得很难回答“不喜欢”;我想这会让她生气。

  But she only laughed, and going behind the portiere which led into hersleeping-chamber, brought back a little volume in a binding of dark — bluemorocco leather.
但她只是笑了笑,走到通往她睡房的帏幕后面,拿回一个深蓝色麂皮装订的小册子。

  “You will like this one, only take care not to soil it.”
“你会喜欢这本的,只要小心不要弄脏。”

This was a volume of Pushkin’s poems. —
这是一本普希金的诗集。 —

I read all of them at once, seizingupon them with a feeling of greed such as I experienced whenever Ihappened to visit a beautiful place that I had never seen before. —
我一口气读完了所有,像是贪婪地抓住了一座从未见过的美丽之地。 —

I alwaystried to run all over it at once. —
我总是试图一次性跑完它。 —

It was like roaming over mossy hillocks in amarshy wood, and suddenly seeing spread before one a dry plain coveredwith flowers and bathed in sunrays. —
这就像漫步在沼泽树林中苔藓覆盖的小山丘,突然眼前一片干燥的平原摊开,盛开着鲜花,沐浴在阳光下。 —

For a second one gazes upon itenchanted, and then one begins to race about happily, and each contact ofone’s feet with the soft growth of the fertile earth sends a thrill of joy throughone.
一瞬间目眩神迷,然后开心地四处奔跑,脚与肥沃土地柔软的生长接触时每一次都给人带来喜悦的刺激。

Pushkin had so surprised me with the simplicity and music of poetry thatfor a long time prose seemed unnatural to me, and it did not come easy toread it. —
普希金的诗歌之简洁和音乐性让我感到惊讶,以至于很长一段时间内散文对我来说显得不自然,阅读起来也不容易。 —

The prologue to “Ruslan” reminded me of grandmother’s best stories,all wonderfully compressed into one, and several lines amazed me by theirstriking truth.
《鲁斯兰》的前言让我想起了祖母最好的故事,所有这些精彩故事都被压缩成了一个,几行诗更是因其惊人的真实性令我大为惊叹。

  There, by ways which few observe, Are the trails of invisible wildcreatures.
在那里,很少有人注意到的地方,有着看不见的野生动物的足迹。

I repeated these wonderful words in my mind, and I could see thosefootpaths so familiar to me, yet hardly visible to the average being. —
我在脑海中重复着这些精彩的文字,我能看到那些对我来说熟悉却几乎看不见的小路。 —

I saw themysterious footprints which had pressed down the grass, which had not hadtime to shake off the drops of dew, as heavy as mercury. —
我看到了那些神秘的足迹,把压下的草地上露珠感觉不到时间的重量。 —

The full, soundinglines of poetry were easily remembered. —
充满韵律的诗句很容易记住。 —

They adorned everything of whichthey spoke as if for a festival. —
它们装点了诗中所描述的一切,就像在为一个节日准备。 —

They made me happy, my life easy andpleasant. —
它们让我快乐,让我的生活变得轻松愉快。 —

The verses rang out like bells heralding me into a new life. —
这些诗句响彻而出,像钟声一样欢迎我进入新生活。 —

Whathappiness it was to be educated!
能接受教育是多么幸福啊!

The magnificent stories of Pushkin touched me more closely, and weremore intelligible to me than anything I had read. —
普希金的壮丽故事触动了我更深,比我读过的任何东西都更易懂。 —

When I had read them afew times I knew them by heart, and when I went to bed I whispered theverses to myself, with my eyes closed, until I fell asleep. —
我读过几遍后就能背诵他们,晚上睡觉时我闭着眼睛轻声对自己诵念这些诗句,直到入睡。 —

Very often I toldthese stories to the orderlies, who listened and laughed, and abused mejokingly. —
我经常向勤杂工讲述这些故事,他们聆听着笑着,开玩笑地责骂我。 —

Sidorov stroked my head and said softly:
西多罗夫抚摸着我的头轻声说:

  “That’s fine, isn’t it? O Lord —”
“那太好了,不是吗?哦,主啊—”

  The awakening which had come to me was noticed by my employers. Theold lady scolded me.
我觉醒的变化被我的雇主注意到了。老太太训斥我。

“You read too much, and you have not cleaned the samovar for four days,you young monkey! —
“你读书读得太多了,四天都没给茶炊打扫过了,你这个调皮鬼! —

I shall have to take the rolling-pin to you — ”
我得拿擀面杖揍你了—”

  What did I care for the rolling-pin? I took refuge in verses.
我管滚刀做什么?我躲进了诗歌里。

  Loving black evil with all thy heart, O old witch that thou art!
用你整颗心爱上黑恶吧,老巫婆!

The lady rose still higher in my esteem. See what books she read! —
这位女士在我心目中地位更高了。她读的书有多棒! —

Shewas not like the tailor’s porcelain wife.
她不像裁缝的瓷器妻子。

  When I took back the book, and handed it to her with regret, she said ina tone which invited confidence :
当我拿回书递给她时,她用一种邀请倾诉的口气说:

  “Did you like it? Had you heard of Pushkin before?”
“你喜欢吗?你之前听说过普希金吗?”

  I had read something about the poet in one of the newspapers, but Iwanted her to tell me about him, so I said that I had never heard of him.
我在一家报纸上读过一些关于这位诗人的东西,但我想让她告诉我关于他的事,所以我说我从来没听说过他。

  Then she briefly told me the life and death of Pushkin, and asked,smiling like a spring day:
然后她简要告诉我了普希金的生平和死亡,并微笑着问道,如同春日:

  “Do you see how dangerous it is to love women?”
“你看到爱上女人有多危险了吗?”

  All the books I had read had shown me it was really dangerous, but alsopleasant, so I said :
我读过的所有书都告诉我这确实是危险的,但也是愉快的,所以我说:

  “It is dangerous, yet every one falls in love. And women suffer for love,too.”
“是危险的,但每个人都会爱上。女人也为爱而受苦。”

  She looked at me, as she looked at every one, through her lashes, andsaid gravely:
她用睫毛看着我,认真地说:

“You think so? You understand that? —
“你这么觉得吗?你懂的吗?” —

Then the best thing I can wish youis that you may not forget it.”
“那么我能为你祝福的最好的事情就是希望你不要忘记它。”

  And then she asked me what verses I liked best.
然后她问我最喜欢哪些诗句。

I began to repeat some from memory, with gesticulations. —
我开始背诵一些诗句,并伴随着手势。 —

She listenedsilently and gravely, then rose, and, walking up and down the room, saidthoughtfully:
她默默地、严肃地听着,然后起身,在房间里来回走动,并沉思地说道:

“We shall have to have you taught, my little wild animal. —
“我们必须让你接受教育,我的小野兽。 —

I must thinkabout it. ,Your employers — are they relatives of yours ?”
我必须考虑。你的雇主们——他们是你的亲戚吗?”

  When I answered in the affirmative she exclaimed: “Oh!” as if sheblamed me for it.
当我肯定回答时,她惊呼道:“哦!”仿佛在责备我。

She gave me “The Songs of Beranger,” a special edition with engravings,gilt edges, and a red leather binding. —
她给了我一本特制版的《贝朗热之歌》,镶嵌插图,镀金边、红皮装帧。 —

These songs made me feel giddy, withtheir strange mixture of bitter grief and boisterous happiness.
这些歌曲让我感到眩晕,带有苦涩悲伤和狂喜快乐的奇特混合。

  With a cold chill at my heart I read the bitter words of “The Old Beggar.”
我的心中一阵冰凉,读完了“老乞丐”的苦涩字句。

  Homeless worm, have I disturbed you?
流浪的虫子,我打扰了你吗?

  Crush me under your feet!
把我踩在你脚下吧!

  Why be pitiful ? Crush me quickly!
为什么要可怜我?快快将我粉碎!

  Why is it that you have never taught me,Nor given me an outlet for my energy?
你为什么从未教导过我,也未给予我施展能量的机会?

  From the grub an ant might have come.
从幼虫中可能会出现一只蚂蚁。

  I might have died in the love of my fellows.
我可能已经在同伴的爱中死去了。

  But dying as an old tramp,I shall be avenged on the world!
但我将作为一个老游民去报复这个世界!

  And directly after this I laughed till I cried over the “Weeping Husband.”
而就在这之后,我笑得泪流满面,“悲伤的丈夫”让我笑出泪水。

  I remembered especially the words of Beranger:
我特别记得贝朗热的话:

  A happy science of lifeIs not hard for the simple.
对于简单的人来说,生活的幸福科学并不难。

Beranger aroused me to moods of joyfulness, to a desire to be saucy, andto say something rude to people, — rude, sharp words. —
贝朗热唤起了我喜悦的心情,让我想要无礼一些,对人说一些尖刻的话。 —

In a very short time Ihad become proficient in this art. —
很快,我已经精通了这门艺术。 —

His verses I learned by heart, and recitedthem with pleasure to the orderlies, running into the kitchen, where they satfor a few minutes at a time.
我背诵着他的诗,愉快地在勤杂工人面前朗诵,时常跑进厨房,他们会在那里坐上几分钟。

But I soon had to give this up because the lines,But such a hat is not becoming To a young girl of seventeen, gave rise toan offensive conversation about girls that made me furiously disgusted, and Ihit the soldier Ermokhin over the head with a saucepan. —
但我很快就不得不放弃这个,因为“但这样的帽子对一个十七岁的姑娘来说并不合适”这句诗引起了一场关于女孩的令人恶心的对话,让我愤怒不已,我用平底锅砸在了士兵艾尔莫金的头上。 —

Sidorov and theother orderlies tore me away from his clumsy hands, but I made up my mindfrom that time to go no more to the officers’ kitchen.
西多罗夫和其他勤杂工人将我从他粗鄙的手中拽开,但我从那时起决定再也不去军官们的厨房了。

I was not allowed to walk about the streets. —
我不被允许在街上闲逛。 —

In fact, there was no time forit, since the work had so increased. —
事实上,也没有时间可以这样做,因为工作增加了。 —

Now, in addition to my usual duties ashousemaid, yardman, and errand-boy, I had to nail calico to wide boards,fasten the plans thereto, and copy calculations for my master’s architecturalwork. —
现在,除了我的常规职责,如女佣、院子的打理和跑腿,我还不得不将印花布钉在宽木板上,将图纸固定在上面,并为我的主人的建筑工作复制计算。 —

I also had to verify the contractor’s accounts, for my master workedfrom morning to night, like a machine.
我还不得不核实承包商的账目,因为我的主人像一台机器一样从早到晚工作。

  At that time the public buildings of the Yarmarka 5 were private property.
当时,雅尔马尔卡5的公共建筑是私人财产。

Rows of shops were built very rapidly, and my master had the contracts forthe reconstruction of old shops and the erection of new ones. —
商店的排列非常迅速地建造起来,我的主人获得了重建旧商店和新建商店的合同。 —

He drew upplans for the rebuilding of vaults, the throwing out of a dormer-window, andsuch changes. —
他起草了重新建造拱顶、开窗等变动的计划。 —

I took the plans to an old architect, together with an envelop inwhich was hidden paper money to the value of twenty-five rubles. —
我把这些计划带到一位老建筑师那里,还附着一个信封,里面藏着价值二十五卢布的纸币。 —

Thearchitect took the money, and wrote under the plans: —
建筑师拿了钱,在计划下面写道: —

“The plans are correct,and the inspection of the work has been performed by me. Imraik. —
“这些计划正确,我已经亲自进行了工程检查。伊姆赖克。 —

” As amatter of fact, he had not seen the original of the plans, and he could notinspect the work, as he was always obliged to stay at home by reason of hismalady.
”他实际上并没有看过计划的原件,也无法进行工程检查,因为他的病常常使他不得不呆在家里。

  5 Market-place.
5 市场。

I used to take bribes to the inspector of the Yarmarka and to othernecessary people, from whom I re — ceived what the master called papers,which permitted all kinds of illegalities. —
我过去曾经贿赂衙门和其他必要人员,从他们那里收到主人所称的允许进行各种非法行为的文件。 —

For this service I obtained the rightto wait for my employers at the door on the front steps when they went out tosee their friends in the evenings. —
为了这个服务,我得到了在大门前的台阶上等雇主的权利,他们晚上出去看朋友时,我等在那里。 —

This did not often happen, but when it did,they never returned until after midnight. —
这种情况并不经常发生,但当发生时,他们直到午夜后才回来。 —

I used to sit at the top of the steps,or on the heap of planks opposite them, for hours, looking into the windowsof my lady’s flat, thirstily listening to the gay conversation and the music.
我过去常坐在那些台阶的顶端,或者对面的木板堆上,数小时地望着我女主人的公寓窗户里,渴望地听着欢快的谈笑声和音乐。

The windows were open. Through the curtains and the screen of flowersI could see the fine figures of officers moving about the room. —
窗户是敞开的。透过帘子和一屏花草,我看到军官们优雅地在房间里走动。 —

The rotundmajor waddled about, and she floated about, dressed with astonishingsimplicity, but beautifully.
圆滚滚的少校蹒跚而行,她则优雅地漂浮着,穿得惊人简单,但美丽动人。

  In my own mind I called her “Queen Margot.”
在我心里,我称她为“莫波皇后”。

“This is the gay life that they write about in French books,” I thought,looking in at the window. —
“这就是他们在法国书中写到的快活生活,”我想着,凝视着窗里的场景。 —

And I always felt rather sad about it. A childishjealousy made it painful for me to see “Queen Margot” surrounded by men,who buzzed about her like bees over flowers.
我总觉得有点儿悲伤。一种幼稚的妒忌让我痛苦地看着“莫波皇后”被像蜜蜂围绕的男人包围。

Her least-frequent visitor was a tall, unhappy-looking officer, with afurrowed brow and deep-sunken eyes, who always brought his violin withhim and played marvelously — so marvelously that the passers-by used tostop under the window, and all the dwellers in the street used to gatherround. —
她最少见的访客是一个高大、面容憔悴的不苦的军官,总是带着他的小提琴,演奏得非常神奇 — 如此神奇,以至于路人在窗下停下来,整条街的居民都聚集在一起。 —

Even my employers, if they happened to be at home, would open thewindow, listen, and praise. —
甚至我雇主们,如果他们在家,也会打开窗户,倾听并赞赏。 —

I never remember their praising any one elseexcept the subdeacon of the cathedral, and I knew that a fish-pie was morepleasing to them than any kind of music.
我不记得他们赞扬过任何其他人,除了大教堂的副武官,我知道对他们来说,一个鱼派比任何音乐更令人满意。

Sometimes this officer sang, or recited verses in a muffled voice, sighingstrangely and pressing his hand to his brow. —
有时这位军官会唱歌,或低声吟诵诗歌,叹息着紧握着额头。 —

Once when I was playing underthe window with the little girl and “Queen Margot” asked him to sing, herefused for a long time. —
有一次,当我和小女孩在窗下玩耍时,“莫波皇后”请他唱歌,他拒绝了很长一段时间。 —

Then he said clearly:
然后他清楚地说道:

  “Only a song has need of beauty, While beauty has no need of songs.”
“只有歌曲需要美丽,而美丽并不需要歌曲。”

  I thought these lines were lovely, and for some reason I felt sorry for theofficer.
我觉得这些句子很可爱,出于某种原因,我为这位军官感到难过。

What I liked best was to look at my lady when she sat at the piano, alonein the room, and played. —
我最喜欢的是看着我的女士独自坐在钢琴前弹奏。 —

Music intoxicated me, and I could see nothing butthe window, and beyond that, in the yellow light of the lamp, the finelyformed figure of the woman, with her haughty profile and her white handshovering like birds over the keys. —
音乐让我陶醉,我只能看到窗外,在灯光下,看到那位妇人的优美身姿,高傲的侧面和白色的手像鸟儿一样飘过琴键。 —

I gazed at her, listened to the plaintivemusic, and dreamed. —
我凝视着她,倾听着悲伤的音乐,做梦。 —

If I could find some treasure, I would give it all to her,so that she should be rich. —
如果我能找到一些宝藏,我会把所有的都给她,这样她就会变得富有。 —

If I had been Skobelev, I would have declared waron the Turks again. —
如果我是斯科别列夫,我会再次向土耳其宣战。 —

I would have taken money for ransoms, and built a housefor her on the Otkossa, the best site in the whole town, and made her apresent of it. —
我会收取赎金,为她在奥特科萨河边建一座房子,这是整个城镇最好的位置,并把它送给她。 —

If only she would leave this street, where every one talkedoffensively about her. —
只要她离开这条街,那里的人们总是讨论她,说话无礼。 —

The neighbors, the servants belonging to our yard, andmy employers more than all spoke about “Queen Margot” as evilly andspitefully as they had talked about the tailor’s wife, though more cautiously,with lowered voices, and looking about them as they spoke.
邻居,我们院子里的仆人,尤其是我的雇主,都像对待裁缝夫人一样邪恶和恶意地谈论“玛戈女王”,尽管更加谨慎,声音更低,说话时环顾四周。

They were afraid of her, probably because she was the widow of a verydistinguished man. —
他们害怕她,可能是因为她是一位非常杰出的人的寡妇。 —

The writings on the walls of her rooms, too, wereprivileges be — stowed on her husband’s ancestors by the old Russianemperors Goudonov, Alexei, and Peter the Great. This was told me by thesoldier Tuphyaev, a man of education, who was always reading the gospels.
士兵图菲亚夫告诉我,房间墙上的字迹是俄罗斯古老皇室戈尔杜诺夫、亚历克谢和彼得大帝赐予她丈夫祖先的特权。他总是在读福音书。

Or it may have been that people were afraid lest she should thrash them withher whip with the lilac-colored stone in the handle. —
或许人们害怕她会用紫丁香色石柄的鞭子抽打他们。 —

It was said that she hadonce struck a person of position with it.
据说她曾用它抽打某个地位显赫的人。

But words — uttered under the breath are no better than words utteredaloud. —
但是,低声说出的话语并不比大声说出的话语更好。 —

My lady lived in a cloud of enmity — an enmity which I could notunderstand and which, tormented me.
我的女主人生活在一片敌意之中 —— 一种我无法理解的敌意,折磨着我。

Now that I knew there was another life; —
现在我知道有另外一种生活; —

that there were different people,feelings, and ideas, this house and all its tenants aroused in me a feeling ofdisgust that oppressed me more and more. —
有不同的人、感觉和想法,这栋房子及其所有的居民引起了我一种压迫性的嫌恶感。 —

It was entangled in the meshes ofa dirty net of disgraceful tittle-tattle, there was not a single person in it ofwhom evil was not spoken. —
它深陷在一张污秽流言蜚语的网中,没一个人能幸免于别人的非议。 —

The regimental chaplain, though he was ill andmiserable, had a reputation for being a drunkard and a rake ; —
团里的牧师虽然病得很重,被人说成是酗酒者和浪子; —

the officers andtheir wives were living, according to my employers, in a state of sin; —
军官和他们的妻子,根据我的雇主们所说,正在犯罪; —

thesoldiers’ conversation about women, which ran on the same lines, hadbecome repulsive to me. —
士兵们关于妇女的谈论,走的是同样的路线,对我来说已经变得令人厌恶。 —

But my employers disgusted me most of all. —
但是,我的雇主们最让我感到恶心。 —

I knewtoo well the real value of their favorite amusement, namely, the mercilessjudgment of other people. —
我太清楚他们最喜欢的娱乐的真正价值,也就是无情地评判他人。 —

Watching and com menting on the crimes ofothers was the only amuse — ment in which they could indulge withoutpaying for it. —
观察并评论他人的罪行是他们唯一可以自由享受的消遣。 —

They amused themselves by putting those about them verballyon the rack, and, as it were, revenged themselves on others because theylived so piously, laboriously, and uninterestingly themselves.
他们乐于把周围的人在言语上置于折磨之中,仿佛在报复他人,因为他们自己过着虔诚、辛勤和乏味的生活。

When they spoke vilely about “Queen Margot” I was seized by aconvulsion of feeling which was not childish at all. —
当他们恶劣地谈论“玛戈皇后”时,我被一种绝不幼稚的感情抽搐所抓住。 —

My heart swelled withhatred for the backbiters. —
我的心充满了对那些愤言刺背者的仇恨。 —

I was overcome by an irresistible desire to do harmto every one, to be insolent, and sometimes a flood of tormenting pity formyself and every one else swept over me. —
我被一种无法抗拒的欲望充满,想对每个人造成伤害,变得粗鲁,有时一股折磨人的怜悯之情涌上心头,为我自己和每个人感到不堪。 —

That dumb pity was more painfulthan hatred.
那种愚蠢的怜悯比仇恨更痛苦。

  I knew more about my queen than they did, and I was always afraid thatthey would find out what I knew.
我对我的皇后了解得比他们多,我总是害怕他们会发现我知道的一切。

On Sundays, when my employers had gone to the cathedral for highmass, I used to go to her the first thing in the morning. —
在周日,当我的雇主们去大教堂参加弥撒时,我通常早晨第一时间去找她。 —

She would call meinto her bedroom, and I sat in a small armchair, upholstered in gold-coloredsilk, with the little girl on my knee, and told the mother about the books Ihad read. —
她会叫我到她的卧室,我坐在一把铺着金色丝绸的小扶手椅上,小女孩坐在我膝盖上,告诉母亲我读过的书。 —

She lay in a wide bed, with her cheek resting on her small hands,which were clasped together. —
她躺在一张宽敞的床上,脸颊搁在双手上,小手紧紧握在一起。 —

Her body was hidden under a counterpane,gold in color, like everything else in the bedroom ; —
她的身体被一床也是金色的床单隐藏起来,就像卧室里的一切一样; —

her dark hair lay in a plaitover her swarthy shoulder and her breast, and sometimes fell over the side ofthe bed till it touched the floor.
她黑色的头发盘成辫子悬在她棕色的肩膀和胸前,有时候掉落到床边,触到地板。

  As she listened to me she looked into my face with her soft eyes and ahardly perceptible smile and said:
当她听我说话时,用她那温柔的眼睛看着我,微微笑着说:

  “That’s right.”
“对的。”

Even her kind smile was, in my eyes, the condescending smile of aqueen. —
即使她慈祥的微笑在我眼中也是一位皇后的屈尊微笑。 —

She spoke in a deep, tender voice, and it seemed to me that it saidalways :
她用深情的柔和声音说话,我觉得她的话里总是含着:

  “I know that I am immeasurably above all other people ; no one of themis necessary to me.”
“我知道我远高于其他任何人;没有一个人对我是必要的。”

Sometimes I found her before her mirror, sitting in a low chair and doingher hair, the ends of which lay on her knees, over the arms, and back of thechair, and fell almost to the floor. —
有时我发现她坐在镜子前,坐在一把低椅子上梳头发,头发的梢放在膝盖上、扶手和椅子背上,几乎垂到地板上。 —

Her hair was as long and thick asgrandmother’s. —
她的头发又长又浓密,就像奶奶的一样。 —

She put on her stockings in my presence, but her cleannudity aroused in me no feeling of shame. —
她在我的面前穿上袜子,但她干净的赤裸并没引起我羞耻的感觉。 —

I had only a joyful feeling of pridein her. —
她只给我带来了一种骄傲的快乐感。 —

A flowerlike smell always came from her, protecting her from any evilthoughts concerning her.
她身上总是散发着花香,这种香气让她免受任何关于她的恶意想法。

I felt sure that the love of the kitchen and the pantry was unknown toQueen Margot. —
我确信厨房和食品室里的爱对玛戈王后来说是未知的。 —

She knew something different, a higher joy, a different kindof love.
她知道一些不同的东西,一种更高的喜悦,一种不同的爱。

But one day, late in the afternoon, on going into her drawing-room, Iheard from the bedroom the ringing laugh of the lady of my heart. —
但有一天, 在午后晚些时候, 当我进入她的客厅时, 我从卧室里听到了我心爱的女士清脆的笑声。 —

Amasculine voice said:
一个男性的声音说道:

“Wait a minute! Good Lord! I can’t believe — ” I ought to have goneaway. —
“等等!天哪!我简直无法相信——”我应该走开的。 —

I knew that, but I could not.
我知道的, 但我却无法动弹。

“Who is that?” she asked. “You? Come in! —
“那是谁?”她问道。“你?进来! —

” The bedroom was heavy withthe odor of flowers. It was darkened, for the curtains were drawn. —
” 卧室里芬芳扑鼻。因为窗帘拉上了, 所以很昏暗。 —

QueenMargot lay in bed, with the bedclothes drawn up to her chin, and beside her,against the wall, sat, clad only in his shirt, with his chest bared, the officerviolinist. —
玛戈王后躺在床上, 被被子盖住到下巴, 旁边, 靠着墙坐着, 只穿着衬衫, 胸膛赤裸的是那位军官小提琴手。 —

On his breast was a scar which lay like a red streak from the rightshoulder to the nipple and was so vivid that even in the half-light I could seeit distinctly. —
军官的胸口上有一道似红线般的伤疤, 从右肩一直延伸到乳头, 鲜明异常, 即使在昏暗中我也能清楚看见。 —

The hair of the officer was ruffled comically, and for the firsttime I saw a smile on his sad, furrowed countenance. —
军官的头发搞得很滑稽, 那是我第一次在他那悲伤、布满皱纹的脸上看到微笑。 —

He was smilingstrangely. His large, feminine eyes looked at the “queen” as if it were the firsttime he had gazed upon her beauty.
他的微笑很奇怪。他那双大大的、有些女性化的眼睛看着“王后”, 好像这是他第一次凝视她的美。

“This is my friend,” said Queen Margot. —
“这是我的朋友”, 玛戈王后说。 —

I did not know whether she werereferring to me or to him.
我不知道她是在指我还是指他。

“What are you looking so frightened about? —
“你为什么看起来这么害怕? —

” I heard her voice as if froma distance. “Come here.”
”我听到她的声音像是从遥远处传来。“过来。”

  When I went to her she placed her hands on my bare neck and said :
  当我走向她时,她把手放在我的光着的脖子上说:

  “You will grow up and you will be happy. Go along!”
  “你会长大,你会快乐的。走吧!”

  I put the book on the shelf, took another, and went away as best I could.
  我把书放在书架上,拿起另一本书,尽量走开。

Something seemed to grate in my heart. —
我的心仿佛被某种刺耳的东西折磨着。 —

Of course I did not think for amoment that my queen loved as other women nor did the officer give mereason to think so. —
当然,我一刻也没有想过我的王后会像其他女人那样去爱,军官也没有给我这样的理由。 —

I saw his face before me, with that smile. —
我看到他的脸,带着微笑。 —

He was smilingfor joy, like a child who has been pleasantly surprised, and his sad face waswonderfully transfigured. —
他笑得很开心,像个受了惊喜的孩子,他悲伤的脸庞奇妙地变了样。 —

He had to love her. Could any one not love her?
他必须爱她。难道有人不会爱她吗?

And she also had cause to bestow her love upon him generously. —
而她也有理由慷慨地把自己的爱给予他。 —

He playedso wonderfully, and could quote poetry so touchingly.
他演奏得如此出色,引用诗句如此感人。

But the very fact that I had to find these consolations showed me clearlythat all was not well with my attitude toward what I had seen or even towardQueen Margot herself. —
但我不得不找到这些慰藉,这事实清楚地告诉我,我对我所看到的事情,甚至对玛格丽特王后本人的态度都有问题。 —

I felt that I had lost something, and I lived for severaldays in a state of deep dejection. —
我感到自己失去了什么,几天来一直处于深深的沮丧状态。 —

One day I was turbulently and recklesslyinsolent, and when I went to my lady for a book, she said to me sternly:
有一天,我表现得鲁莽而放肆,当我去找我的女主人要一本书时,她严厉地对我说:

  “You seem to be a desperate character from what I have heard. I did notknow that.”
“从我听说的你似乎是一个绝望的人物。我不知道。”

I could not endure this, and I began to explain how nauseating I foundthe life I had to lead, and how hard it was for me to hear people speaking illof her. —
我无法忍受这种待遇,于是我开始解释我对自己生活的厌恶以及我很难听到别人说她的坏话。 —

Standing in front of me, with her hand on my shoulder, she listened atfirst attentively and seriously; —
她站在我面前,手搭在我的肩膀上,一开始认真地倾听; —

but soon she was laughing and pushing meaway from her gently.
但很快她笑了起来,轻轻地把我推开。

  “That will do; I know all about it. Do you understand? I know.”
“够了;我知道所有的事情。明白吗?我知道。”

  Then she took both my hands and said to me very tenderly :
接着她握住我的双手,非常温柔地对我说:

“The less attention you pay to all that, the better for you. —
“不要再去在意这些了,对你来说越少关注越好。 —

You wash yourhands very badly.”
你洗手洗得很糟糕。”

  She need not have said this. If she had had to clean the brasses, andwash the floor and the dirty cloths, her hands would not have been any betterthan mine, I think.
她说这并不是必要的。如果她不得不擦洗铜器,洗地板和脏衣服,我想她的手可能和我的一样不会更好。

“When a person knows how to live, he is slandered; they are jealous ofhim. —
“当一个人懂得如何生活的时候,他会受到诬蔑,他们会嫉妒他。 —

And if he doesn’t know how to live, they despise him,” she saidthoughtfully, drawing me to her, and looking into my eyes with a smile. —
而如果他不懂得如何生活,他们会鄙视他。”她沉思地说着,把我拉到她身边,微笑着看着我的眼睛。 —

“Doyou love me?”
“你爱我吗?”

  “Yes.”
“爱。”

  “Very much?”
“很爱吗?”

  “Yes.”
“是的。”

  “But how?”
“但是怎么做呢?”

  “I don’t know.”
“我不知道。”

“Thank you! You are a good boy. I like people to love me. —
“谢谢!你是个好孩子。我喜欢别人爱我。” —

” She smiled,looked as if she were going to say something more, but remained silent, stillkeeping me in her arms. —
她微笑着,看起来似乎想要说更多的话,但保持沉默,依然抱着我。 —

“Come oftener to see me; come whenever you can.”
“经常来看我;只要能来就来。”

I took advantage of this, and she did me a lot of good. —
我利用这个机会,她对我有很大的帮助。 —

After dinner myemployers used to lie down, and I used to run downstairs. —
饭后,我的雇主们常常躺下休息,我就下楼去。 —

If she was athome, I would stay with her for an hour and sometimes even longer.
如果她在家,我会和她呆上一个小时,有时甚至更久。

  “You must read Russian books; you must know all about Russian life.”
“你必须读俄罗斯的书;你必须了解俄罗斯的生活。”

  She taught me, sticking hair-pins into her fragrant hair with rosy fingers.
她教我,用粉红的手指在香气扑鼻的头发中插着发夹。

  And she enumerated the Russian authors, adding:
她列举了俄罗斯作家,补充道:

  “Will you remember them?”
“你会记得吗?”

  She often said thoughtfully, and with an air of slight vexation:
她经常沉思地说,并带着些微不悦:

  “We must have you taught, and I am always forgetting. Ach, my God!”
“我们必须让你受教育,但我总是忘记。啊,我的上帝!”

  After sitting with her, I ran downstairs with a new book in my hands,feeling as if I had been washed inside.
和她坐在一起之后,我带着一本新书跑下楼去,感觉自己好像从内部被洗净了。

I had already read Aksakov’s “Family Chronicle,” the glorious Russianpoem “In the Forests,” the amazing “Memoirs of a Hunter,” several volumesof Greb — enkov and Solugub, and the poetry of Venevitinov, Odoevski, andTutchev. —
我已经读过阿克萨科夫的《一个家族的故事》,壮丽的俄罗斯诗篇《在森林中》,令人惊叹的《一个猎人的回忆录》,以及格列宾科夫和索留古布的几卷作品,还有文尼维钦诺夫、奥德耶夫斯基和图切夫的诗歌。 —

These books laved my soul, washing away the husks of barren andbitter reality. —
这些书洗净了我的灵魂,冲刷掉了干涩和痛苦的现实外壳。 —

I felt that these were good books, and realized that they wereindispensable to me. —
我感觉这些书很好,并意识到它们对我来说是不可或缺的。 —

One result of reading them was that I gained a firmconviction that I was not alone in the world, and the fact that I should not belost took root in my soul.
读完它们的一个结果是,我坚信自己并不孤独,而且我不会迷失的这个事实扎根在我的灵魂中。

  When grandmother came to see me I used to tell her joyfully aboutQueen Margot, and she, taking a pinch of snuff with great enjoyment, saidheartily:
当奶奶来看我时,我总是兴高采烈地告诉她关于玛戈皇后的事情,她则高兴地捏一把鼻烟,诚挚地说:

Well, well; that is very nice. You see, there are plenty of good peopleabout. —
好啦,好啦;那太好了。你看,周围有很多好人。 —

You only have to look for them, and then you will find them.”
你只需要找到他们,然后你就会发现他们。”

  And one day she suggested:
有一天她建议道:

  “How would it be if I went to her and said thank you for what she doesfor you?”
“要不我去找她,感谢她为你所做的事?”

  “No; it is better not.”
“不;最好不要。”

“Well, if you don’t want me to Lord! Lord! how good it all is! —
“哦,如果你不想的话,主啊!天哪!这一切都是多好啊! —

I would liketo go on living for ever and ever!”
我希望永远永远都能活着!”

  Queen Margot never carried out her project of having me taught, for anunpleasant affair happened on the feast of the Holy Trinity that nearlyruined me.
玛戈皇后没有实现她的教育我计划,因为在圣三一节的时候发生了一件不愉快的事情,几乎毁了我。

Not long before the holiday my eyelids became terribly swollen, and myeyes were quite closed up. —
在节日前不久,我的眼睑肿的厉害,眼睛完全肿起来。 —

My employers were afraid that I should go blind,and I also was afraid. —
我的雇主害怕我失明,而我也很害怕。 —

They took me to the well-known doctor, GenrikhRodzevich, who lanced my eyelids and for days I lay with my eyes bandaged,in tormenting, black misery. —
他们带我去找知名的医生格涅克·罗兹维奇,他给我的眼睑划开了口,接着我就蒙着眼睛患着黑暗的折磨好几天。 —

The day before the feast of the Trinity mybandages were taken off, and I walked about once more, feeling as if I hadcome back from a grave in which I had been laid alive. —
圣三一节前一天,我摘下了绷带,又可以走动了,感觉自己从坟墓里活着回来了一样。 —

Nothing can be moreterrible than to lose one’s sight. —
没有什么比失去视力更可怕的了。 —

It is an unspeakable injury which takes awaya hundred worlds from a man.
这是一种无法言说的伤害,夺走了一个人的一百个世界。

The joyful day of the Holy Trinity arrived, and, as an invalid, I was offduty from noon and went to the kitchen to pay a visit to the orderlies. —
喜庆的圣三一节来临了,作为一个病人,我从中午开始没有值班了,去厨房拜访勤杂工。 —

All ofthem, even the strict Tuphyaev, were drunk, and toward evening Ermokhinstruck Sidorov on the head with a block of wood. —
他们全都喝醉了,甚至严厉的图普亚耶夫也是如此,到了傍晚,厄尔莫金用一块木头击中了西多罗夫的头。 —

The latter fell senseless tothe ground, and Ermokhin, terrified, ran out to the causeway.
西多罗夫昏倒在地,厄尔莫金吓坏了,跑到了码头那。

An alarming rumor that Sidorov had been murdered soon spread overthe yard. —
一个令人担忧的谣言传开,声称西多罗夫被谋杀了。 —

People gathered on the steps and looked at the soldier stretchedmotionless across the threshold. —
人们集结在台阶上,看着那个昏倒在门槛上毫无知觉的士兵。 —

There were whispers that the police oughtto be sent for, but no one went to fetch them, and no one could be persuadedto touch the soldier.
有传言说应该派警察来,但没有人去找他们,也没有人愿意碰那个士兵。

Then the washerwoman Natalia Kozlovski, in a new, blue frock, with awhite neckerchief, appeared on the scene. —
接着洗衣妇纳塔莉娅·科兹洛夫斯卡,穿着新的蓝色连衣裙,白色围巾,出现了。 —

She pushed the people asideangrily, went into the entrance passage, squatted down, and said loudly:
她生气地推开人群,走进入口走廊,蹲下来,大声说道:

  “Fools! He is alive! Give me some water!”
“傻瓜们!他还活着!给我点水!”

  They began to protest.
他们开始抗议。

  “Don’t meddle with what is not your business!”
“不要插手不关你事的事情!”

“Water, I tell you!” she cried, as if there were a fire. —
“喊水啊!”她尖叫道,仿佛那里有火。 —

She lifted her newfrock over her knees in a businesslike manner, spread out her underskirt,and laid the soldier’s bleeding head on her knees.
她以一种干练的方式将新裙子撩起过膝,铺开内衬,在她膝盖上放上那个滴血的士兵头。

  The crowd dispersed, disapproving and fearful.
“人群四散,不满又充满恐惧。

In the dim light of the passage I could see the eyes of the washerwomanfull of tears, flashing angrily in her white, round face. —
在走廊昏暗的灯光下,我看到洗衣妇眼里满是泪水,闪烁着愤怒的光芒,圆圆的脸色苍白。 —

I took her a pail ofwater, and she ordered me to throw it over the head and breast of Sidorovwith the caution:
我给她拿了一桶水,她命令我把水泼在西多罗夫的头和胸上,并警告说:

  “Don’t spill it over me. I am going to pay a visit to some friends.”
“别溅到我身上。我要去拜访朋友。”

  The soldier came to himself, opened his dull eyes, and moaned.
士兵醒了过来,睁开昏沉的眼睛,呻吟起来。

“Lift him up,” said Natalia, holding him under the armpits with herhands outstretched lest he should soil her frock. —
“把他抬起来,”娜塔莉亚说着,用伸直的双手扶着他的腋下,生怕弄脏了她的裙子。 —

We carried the soldier intothe kitchen and laid him on the bed. —
我们将士兵抬到厨房,放在床上。 —

She wiped his face with a wet cloth, andwent away, saying:
她用湿布擦拭他的脸,然后离开,说道:

“Soak the cloth in water and hold it to his head. I will go and find thatfool. Devils! —
“用水浸湿布,敷在他头上。我去找那个傻瓜。可恶! —

I suppose they won’t be satisfied until they have drunkthemselves into prison.”
我想他们只有喝到自己闹进监狱之前才会满意。”

  She went out, after slipping her soiled under-petticoat to the floor,flinging it into a corner and carefully smoothing out her rustling, crumpledfrock.
她走了出去,将脏了的衬裙扔到地板上,甩到角落里,然后小心翼翼地抚平那褶皱不齐、发出沙沙声的裙子。

Sidorov stretched himself, hiccupped, sighed. —
西多罗夫舒展身体,呃哒一声,叹了口气。 —

Warm drops of thick bloodfell on my bare feet from his head. —
热乎乎的浓血滴在我赤裸的脚上自他的头上。 —

This was unpleasant, but I was toofrightened to move my feet away from those drops.
这让人不愉快,但我害怕得移不开脚踝避开那些血滴。

It was bitter. The sun shone festively out in the yard; —
天气晴朗。院子里阳光灿烂; —

the steps of thehouses and the gate were decorated with young birch; —
房子的阶梯和大门都挂满了嫩白桦树; —

to each pedestal weretied freshly cut branches of maple and mountain ash. —
每个基座上都绑着新鲜的枫树和山核桃树枝。 —

The whole street wasgay with foliage; everything was young, new. —
整条街道都被树叶装点得喜气洋洋;一切都充满了青春活力。 —

Ever since the morning I hadfelt that the spring holiday had come to stay, and that it had made lifecleaner, brighter, and happier.
从早上开始,我就感觉到春节来临了,生活变得更清新明亮、更快乐。

The soldier was sick. The stifling odor of warm vodka and green onionfilled the kitchen. —
士兵病了。厨房里弥漫着温暖伏特加和葱的气味。 —

Against the window were pressed dull, misty, broad faces,with flattened noses, and hands held against their cheeks, which made themlook hideous.
朦胧窗下是扁平鼻子,手托腮,使他们看起来很丑陋的人们。

  The soldier muttered as he recollected himself:
士兵回忆自己 murmur:

“What happened to me? Did I fall, Ermokhin? Go-o-od comrade! —
“我发生了什么事?我摔倒了,Ermokhin?好-好的同志! —

” Thenhe began to cough, wept drunken tears, and groaned, “My little sister! —
”然后他开始咳嗽,哭泣着醉酒的眼泪,“我的小妹妹! —

mylittle sister!”
我的小妹妹!”

  He stood up, tottering, wet. He staggered, and, falling back heavily uponthe bed, said, rolling his eyes strangely:
他站起来,踉跄地湿透了。他摇摇晃晃,重重地摔在床上,说着,滚动着眼睛:

  “They have quite killed me!”
“他们真的把我给杀死了!”

  This struck me as funny.
这让我觉得很滑稽。

  “What the devil are you laughing at?” he asked, looking at me dully.
“你笑什么鬼?”他沉闷地看着我问道。

  “What is there to laugh at? I am killed forever!”
“能笑什么?我永远完了!”

  He began to hit out at me with both hands, muttering :
他开始用双手朝我打,喃喃地说:

“The first time was that of Elias the prophet; —
“第一次是以利亚先知; —

the second time, St. Georgeon his steed; —
第二次是圣乔治骑马; —

the third — Don’t come near me! Go away, wolf!”
第三次 — 别靠近我!走开,狼!”

  “Don’t be a fool!” I said.
“别傻了!”我说。

  He became absurdly angry, roared, and stamped his feet.
他变得荒谬地愤怒,咆哮着,跺着脚。

  “I am killed, and you — ”
“我完蛋了,而你 —”

With his heavy, slow, dirty hand he struck me in the eyes. —
他用沉重、缓慢、脏乱的手朝我眼睛打来。 —

I set up a howl,and blindly made for the yard, where I ran into Natalia leading Ermokhin bythe arm, crying: —
我发出一声嚎叫,盲目地跑向院子,撞到正在牵着耶尔莫欣的纳塔莉娅,她一边抓住我一边说道: —

“Come along, horse! What is the matter with you? —
“快,马!你怎么回事?” —

” sheasked, catching hold of me.
她问道,拉着我。

  “He has come to himself.”
“他醒了。”

“Come to himself, eh?” she drawled in amazement. —
“他清醒过来了,嗯?”她惊讶地说。 —

And drawingErmokhin along, she said, “Well, werwolf, you may thank your God for this!”
并拉着Ermokhin,她说:“好了,狼人,你可以感谢你的上帝了!”

  I washed my eyes with water, and, looking through the door of thepassage, saw the soldiers make their peace, embracing each other and crying.
我用水洗了洗眼睛,透过通道的门眼,看到士兵们和解,互相拥抱哭泣。

  Then they both tried to embrace Natalia, but she hit out at them, shouting :
然后他们都试图拥抱纳塔莉娅,但她打他们,喊道:

“Take your paws off me, curs! What do you take me for? —
“把你们的爪子从我身上拿开,该死的!你们把我当什么了? —

Make haste andget to sleep before your masters come home, or there will be trouble for you!”
赶紧去睡觉,别让你们的主人回来,否则你们会遇到麻烦!”

  She made them lie down as if they were little children, the one on thefloor, the other on the pallet — bed, and when they began to snore, came outinto the porch.
她让他们躺下,就像他们是小孩子一样,一个躺在地板上,另一个躺在小床上,当他们开始打鼾时,她走出门廊。

“I am in a mess, and I was dressed to go out visiting, too! Did he hityou”? What a fool! —
“我闹糊涂了,我本来打算出去看朋友的!他打了你吗?真愚蠢! —

That’s what it does — vodka! Don’t drink, little fellow,never drink.”
这就是它的效果——伏特加!不要喝酒,小家伙,永远不要喝。”

  Then I sat on the bench at the gate with her, and asked how it was thatshe was not afraid of drunken people.
然后我和她一起坐在大门的长椅上,问她为什么不怕喝醉的人。

“I am not afraid of sober people, either. If they come near me, this iswhat they get! —
“我也不怕清醒的人。如果他们靠近我,就会得到这个!” —

” She showed me her tightly clenched, red list. —
她向我展示了她紧握的红色拳头。 —

“My deadhusband was also given to drink too much, and once when he was drunk Itied his hands and feet. —
“我已故的丈夫也爱喝酒,有一次他喝醉了,我把他的手脚绑起来。 —

When he had slept it off, I gave him a birching for hishealth. ‘Don’t drink; —
等他酒醒了,我给了他一顿打,为了他的健康。‘不要喝酒; —

don’t get drunk when you are married,’ I said. —
结婚了不要喝醉,’我说。 —

‘Yourwife should be your amusement, and not vodka. —
你的妻子应该是你的娱乐,而不是伏特加。 —

’ Yes, I scolded him until Iwas tired, and after that he was like wax in my hands.”
是的,我责骂他直到我累了,之后他变得像我手中的蜡一样。

  “You are strong,” I said, remembering the woman Eve, who deceivedeven God Himself.
“你很坚强,”我说,想起了欺骗甚至上帝的夏娃。

  Natalia replied, with a sigh:
娜塔莉娅叹了口气回答道:

“A woman needs more strength than a man. —
“一个女人需要比男人更坚强。 —

She has to have strengthenough for two, and God has bestowed it upon her. —
她必须有足够的力量用于两人,而上帝赋予了她这种力量。 —

Man is an unstablecreature.”
男人是一个不稳定的生物。”

She spoke calmly, without malice, sitting with her arms folded over herlarge bosom, resting her back against the fence, her eyes fixed sadly on thedusty gutter full of rubbish. —
她平静地说着,没有恶意,双臂交叠在她丰满的胸部上,背靠在篱笆上,眼睛悲伤地注视着充满垃圾的尘埃槽。 —

Listening to her clever talk, I forgot all about thetime. —
听她聪明的讲话,我忘记了时间。 —

Suddenly I saw my master coming along arm in arm with the mistress.
突然间我看见我的主人和女主人手挽手走来。

  They were walking slowly, pompously, like a turkey-cock with his hen, and,looking at us attentively, said something to each other.
他们缓慢而夸张地走着,像一只火鸡和它的母鸡,看着我们仔细地对彼此说了些什么。

  I ran to open the front door for them, and as she came up the steps themistress said to me, venomously :
我跑去给他们开前门,当女主人走上台阶时,毒辣地对我说:

“So you are courting the washerwoman? —
“所以你在追求洗衣女?你在学着和那些卑贱阶级的女人搞好关系吗?” —

Are you learning to carry onwith ladies of that low class ?”
这太愚蠢了,以至于甚至没有惹恼我,但当主人笑着说:

  This was so stupid that it did not even annoy me but I felt offended whenthe master said, laughing:
“那么你是在追求洗衣女?你在学着和那些卑贱阶级的女人搞好关系吗?”

  “What do you expect? It is time.”
“你期待什么?现在是时候了。”

The next morning when I went into the shed for the wood I found anempty purse, in the square hole which was made for the hook of the door. —
第二天早晨我去棚子里拿柴时,在门上的方孔里发现了一个空钱包。 —

AsI had seen it many times in the hands of Sidorov I took it to him at once.
由于我曾多次见到西多罗夫手里拿着这个钱包,我立刻把它拿给他。

“Where is the money gone?” he asked, feeling inside the purse with hisfingers. —
“钱去哪了?”他问道,用手指在钱包里摸索。 —

“Thirty rubles there were! Give them here!”
“本来有三十卢布!把它们给我!”

His head was enveloped in a turban formed of a towel. —
他用一块毛巾包裹着头形成了一个头巾。 —

Looking yellowand wasted, he blinked at me angrily with his swollen eyes, and refused tobelieve that I had found the purse empty.
看起来黄瘦的他用肿胀的眼睛生气地眨着眼睛看着我,拒绝相信我发现的钱包里是空的。

  Ermokhin came in and backed him up, shaking his head at me.
耶尔莫欣走了进来,支持他,摇摇头看着我。

  “It is he who has stolen it. Take him to his master. Soldiers do not stealfrom soldiers.”
“他就是偷的。把他带到他的主人那里去。士兵不会互相偷窃。”

These words made me think that he had stolen the money himself andhad thrown the purse into my shed. —
这些话让我觉得他自己偷了钱,把钱包扔进我的棚子里。 —

I called out to his face, withouthesitation:
我毫不犹豫地向他喊道:

  “Liar! You stole it yourself!”
“撒谎者!你是自己偷的!”

I was convinced that I had guessed right when I saw his wooden facedrawn crooked with fear and rage. —
当看到他的木讷的脸由于害怕和愤怒而扭曲时,我确信自己猜对了。 —

As he writhed, he cried shrilly :
他痛苦地扭动着,尖声尖叫着:

  “Prove it!”
“证明出来!”

How could I prove it? Ermokhin dragged me, with a shout, across theyard. —
我怎么证明呢?埃尔莫京大喊着把我拖过院子。 —

Sidorov followed us, also shouting. Several people put their heads outof the windows. —
西多罗夫跟着我们,也大声喊着。几个人从窗户探出头来。 —

The mother of Queen Margot looked on, smoking calmly. —
玛格丽特女王的母亲静静地抽着烟看着。 —

Irealized that I had fallen in the esteem of my lady, and I went mad.
我意识到我已失去了我的女士们的尊重,我发疯了。

I remember the soldiers dragging me by the arms and my employersstanding before them, sympathetically agreeing with them, as they listenedto the com plaint. —
我记得士兵们拽着我的胳膊,我的雇主站在他们面前,同情地赞成他们,听着投诉。 —

Also the mistress saying:
主母也说道:

“Of course he took it! He was courting the washerwoman at the gate lastevening, and he must have had some money. —
“当然是他拿的!昨晚他还在大门口追求洗衣妇,一定是有钱的。 —

No one gets anything from herwithout money.”
没有钱谁也得不到她。”

  “That’s true,” cried Ermokhin.
“是的,”埃尔莫京喊道。

I was swept off my feet, consumed by a wild rage. —
我被激怒地冲昏了头脑。 —

I began to abuse themistress, and was soundly beaten.
我开始辱骂主母,结果被揍了个狠。

But it was not so much the beating which tortured me as the thought ofwhat my Queen Margot was now thinking of me. —
但让我痛苦的并不是被打,而是想到现在我的玛格丽特女士对我是怎么想的。 —

How should I ever setmyself right in her eyes? —
我怎样才能在她眼中重获尊重呢? —

Bitter were my thoughts in that dreadful time. —
那段可怕的时光中,我的想法是痛苦的。 —

I didnot strangle myself only because I had not the time to do so.
我没有勒死自己仅仅因为没有时间这样做。

  Fortunately for me, the soldiers spread the story over the whole yard, thewhole street, and in the evening, as I lay in the attic, I heard the loud voice ofNatalia Kozlovski below.
幸运的是,士兵们在整个院子、整条街上散布了这个故事,傍晚时分,我躺在阁楼上听到了娜塔莉娅·科兹洛夫斯基的大声低语。

“No! Why should I hold my tongue? No, my dear fellow, get away! Getalong with you! —
“不!我为什么要闭嘴?不,我亲爱的,走开!走开! —

Go away, I say! If you don’t, I will go to your gentleman, andhe will give you something!”
走开,我说!如果你不走,我会去找你们的老板,他会给你们点好处的!”

I felt at once that this noise was about me. —
我立刻感觉到这个喧哗是关于我。 —

She was shouting near oursteps ; her voice rang out loudly and triumphantly.
她在我们的台阶附近大声叫嚷;她的声音响亮而得意。

  “How much money did you show me yesterday? Where did you get itfrom? Tell us!”
“你昨天给我看了多少钱?你从哪里弄来的?告诉我们!”

  Holding my breath with joy, I heard Sidorov drawl sadly :
我欣喜地屏住了呼吸,听到席多罗夫悲伤地拖长音:

  “Ate, aze! Ermokhin — ”
“阿泰,阿泽!厄莫欣——”

  “And the boy has had the blame for it? He has been beaten for it, eh?”
“孩子为此受了责备?为此挨了打,对吧?”

I felt like running down to the yard, dancing there for joy, kissing thewasherwoman out of gratitude; —
我感觉自己想冲下去到院子里,为了喜悦在那里跳舞,出于感激亲吻那位洗衣妇; —

but at that moment, apparently from thewindow, my mistress cried:
但就在那时,似乎是从窗户传来的,我的女主人喊道:

“The boy was beaten because he was insolent. —
“这个孩子被打是因为无礼。 —

No one believed that hewas a thief except you, you slut!”
除了你,没有人相信他是小偷,你这个贱货!”

  “Slut yourself, madam! You are nothing better than a cow, if you willpermit me to say so.”
“你自己才是贱货,夫人!如果我说出来,你没什么不适宜的。”

I listened to this quarrel as if it were music. —
我像听音乐一样倾听着这场争吵。 —

My heart burned with hottears of self-pity, and gratitude to Natalia. —
我的心被自怜和对娜塔莉亚的感激之泪热烫着。 —

I held my breath in the effort tokeep them back.
我屏住呼吸努力忍住泪水。

  Then the master came slowly up to the attic, sat on a projecting beamnear me, and said, smoothing his hair:
然后主人缓缓走到阁楼,坐在我旁边的一根横梁上,抚摸着头发说道:

  “Well, brother Pyeshkov, and so you had nothing to do with it?”
“嗯,彼什科夫兄弟,你完全不知情吗?”

  I turned my face away without speaking.
我没有说话,将脸转开。

  “All the same, your language was hideous,” he went on. I announcedquietly:
“无论如何,你的言语是可怕的,”他继续道。我平静地宣布:

  “As soon as I can get up I shall leave you.”
“只要我能起身,我就会离开你们。”

  He sat on in silence, smoking a cigarette. Looking fixedly at its end, hesaid in a low voice :
他静静地坐着,吸着香烟。凝视着烟尾,他低声说道:

“What of it? That is your business. You are not a little boy any longer; —
“怎么了?这是你的事。你不再是个孩子,必须独立思考,看看对自己来说什么是最好的。” —

you must look about and see what is the best thing for yourself.”
然后他走开了。像往常一样,我为他感到遗憾。

  Then he went away. As usual, I felt sorry for him.
四天后,我离开了那间房子。

Four days after this I left that house. —
我强烈希望能跟玛戈女王道别,但我没有胆量去找她,虽然我也承认我认为她会亲自派人叫我。 —

I had a passionate desire to saygood-by to Queen Margot, but I had not the audacity to go to her, though Iconfess I thought that she would have sent for me herself.
当我向小女孩告别时,我说:

  When I bade good-by to the little girl I said:
“请告诉你妈妈我非常感谢她,好吗?”

  “Tell your mother that I thank her very much, will you?”
我对她道别后,便离开了。

“Yes, I will,” she promised, and she smiled lovingly and tenderly. —
“是的,我会的,”她承诺道,然后温柔地微笑着。 —

“Goodby till tomorrow, eh? Yes?”
“明天再见,好吗?是吗?”

  I met her again twenty years later, married to an officer in thegendarmerie.
我二十年后再次见到她,她已经嫁给了一个宪兵队的军官。