AS Yaakov, the stoker, had done in his time, so now Osip grew and grew inmy eyes, until he hid all other people from me. —
正如当年炉工雅各布在我眼中一样,现在奥西普在我眼中一天天长大,直到他把其他人都掩盖起来。 —

There was some resemblanceto the stoker in him, but at the same time he reminded me of grandfather,the valuer, Petr Vassiliev, Smouri, and the cook. —
他身上有一些炉工的影子,但同时也让我想起了祖父、估价师彼得·瓦西里耶维奇、斯莫里和厨师。 —

When I think of all thepeople who are firmly fixed in my memory, he has left behind a deeperimpression than any of them, an impres — sion which has eaten into it, asoxide eats into a brass bell. —
在我记忆中融入最深的人中,他比其他任何人都留下更深的印象,这种印象像氧化物腐蚀黄铜钟一样刻骨铭心。 —

What was remarkable about him was that he hadtwo sets of ideas. —
他的脑海里有两套思维。 —

In the daytime, at his work among people, his lively, simpleideas were business-like and easier to understand than those to which hegave vent when he was off duty, in the evenings, when he went with me intothe town to see his cronies, the dealers, or at night when he could not sleep.
白天在与人打交道工作时,他的活泼而简单的想法很务实,比他在下班后与我一起进城看他的熟人、交易商,或者夜晚睡不着时发泄的思想更容易理解。

He had special night thoughts, many-sided like the flame of a lamp. —
他有特殊的夜间思想,像灯火一样多面。 —

Theyburned brightly, but where were their real faces? —
它们燃烧明亮,但真正的面孔在哪里呢? —

On which side was this orthat idea, nearer and dearer to Osip.
这种想法或那种想法,对奥西普来说更接近更亲密?

He seemed to me to be much cleverer than any one else I had met, and Ihovered about him, as I used to do with the stoker, trying to find out aboutthe man, to understand him. —
他对我来说比遇到的任何人都聪明,我围绕着他,就像以前我与炉工一样,试图了解这个人,理解他。 —

But he glided away from me; it was impossibleto grasp him. —
但他从我身边溜走了;抓住他是不可能的。 —

Where was the real man hidden? How far could I believe inhim?
真实的人隐藏在哪里呢?我能相信他到什么程度呢?

  I remember how he said to me :
我记得他对我说:

  “You must find out for yourself where I am hidden. Look for me!”
“你必须自己找到我隐藏的地方。找我!”

  My self-love was piqued, but more than that, it had become a matter oflife and death to me to understand the old man.
我的自尊心受到了挑衅,但更重要的是,理解这位老人对我而言已成为生死攸关的问题。

With all his elusiveness he was substantial. —
尽管他如此难以捉摸,他是实实在在存在的。 —

He looked as if he could goon living for a hundred years longer and still remain the same, sounchangeably did he preserve his ego amid the instability of the peoplearound him. —
他看起来好像可以再活上一百年,仍然保持不变,他在周围人的不稳定中始终保持着他的自我。 —

The valuer had made upon me an equal impression ofsteadfastness, but it was not so pleasing to me. —
估价师给我的印象同样是坚定的,但对我来说并不那么令人愉悦。 —

Osip’s steadfastness was of adifferent kind; —
奥西普的坚定是一种不同的坚定; —

although I cannot explain how, it was more pleasing.
尽管我无法解释为什么,但它更加令人愉悦。

The instability of human creatures is too often brought to one’s notice; —
人类的不稳定性往往让人注意到; —

their acrobatic leaps from one position to another upset me. —
他们在不同位置之间的杂技般跳跃让我感到不安。 —

I had long agogrown weary of being surprised by these inexplicable somersaults, and theyhad by degrees extinguished my lively interest in humanity, disturbed mylove for it.
我早就厌倦了被这些莫名其妙的翻转惊讶,它们逐渐熄灭了我对人性的浓厚兴趣,扰乱了我的爱。

One day at the beginning of July, a rackety hackney cab came dashing upto the place where we were working. —
七月初的一天,一个喧闹的马车冲到我们工作的地方。 —

On the box-seat a drunken driver sat,hiccuping gloomily. —
在马车驾驶座上,一个喝醉了的司机闷声喝着酒。 —

He was bearded, hatless, and had a bruised lip. —
他有胡须,没戴帽子,嘴唇瘀青。 —

GrigoriShishlin rolled about in the carriage, drunk, while a fat, red-cheeked girl heldhis arm. —
格里戈里·什什林在马车里翻滚,醉醺醺的,而一个胖乎乎、脸红扑扑的女孩扶着他的胳膊。 —

She wore a straw hat trimmed with a red ribbon and glass cherries ; —
她戴着一顶用红丝带和玻璃樱桃装饰的草帽; —

she had a sunshade in her hand, and goloshes on her bare feet. —
她手里拿着阳伞,脚上穿着赤脚穿着凉鞋。 —

Waving hersunshade, swaying, she giggled and screamed:
摇着阳伞,摇摆着身体,她咯咯笑着尖叫:

“What the devil! The market-place is not open; —
“见鬼!集市不开放; —

there is no market-place,and he brings me to the market-place. —
这里没有市场,他却把我带到了市场。 —

Little mother — ”
小母亲 — ”

  Grigori, dishevelled and limp, crept out of the cab, sat on the ground anddeclared to us, the spectators of the scene, with tears:
格里戈里又蓬头垢面又无力地从马车里爬了出来,坐在地上向我们这场景的目击者们哭诉道:

“I am down on my knees; I have sinned greatly! I thought of sin, and Ihave sinned. —
“我跪下,我犯了大罪!我想到了罪恶,我就犯了罪。 —

Ephimushka says ‘Grisha! Grisha!’ He speaks truly, but you —forgive me; —
阿菲莫夏说‘格里沙!格里沙!’他说的是实话,但你们 — 原谅我; —

I can treat you all. He says truly, ‘We live once only, and nomore.’ ”
我可以对待你们所有人。他说的对,‘我们只活一次,再也不能了。’”

  The girl burst out laughing, stamped her feet, and lost her goloshes, andthe driver called out gruffly :
女孩哈哈大笑,踩丢了鞋子,车夫粗声喊道:

  “Let us get on farther! The horse won’t stand still!”
“咱们往前走!马儿可不会站定!”

The horse, an old, worn-out jade, was covered with foam, and stood asstill as if it were buried. —
那匹老掉牙的马全身是泡沫,站得像是埋在地里一样静止不动。 —

The whole scene was irresistibly comical.
整个场面令人难以抗拒的滑稽。

  Grigori’s workmen rolled about with laughter as they looked at theirmaster, his grand lady, and the bemused coachman.
格里戈里的工人们看着他们的主人、他的高贵女士和糊涂的马车夫大笑不已。

  The only one who did not laugh was Phoma, who stood at the door of oneof the shops beside me and muttered :
唯一一个没笑的是费马,他站在我旁边的一个商店门口,嘟囔道:

  “The devil take the swine. And he has a wife at home — a bee-eautifulwoman!”
“该死的禽兽,他家里还有个妻子 — 一个漂亮的女人!”

The driver kept on urging them to start. —
车夫继续着催促着他们出发。 —

The girl got out of the cab, liftedGrigori up, set him on his feet, and cried with a wave of her sunshade :
女孩走下马车,把格里戈里扶起来,让他站稳,挥舞着遮阳伞大喊道:

  “Goon!”
“傻瓜!”

  Laughing good-naturedly at their master, and envying him, the menreturned to their work at the call of Phoma. It was plain that it wasrepugnant to him to see Grigori made ridiculous.
士兵们笑着看着他们的主人,羡慕他,听到Phoma的呼唤回到工作中。显然看到格里高利被搞得荒谬让他感到反感。

“He calls himself master,” he muttered. —
“他自称为主人,”他喃喃自语。 —

“I have not quite a month’s workleft to do here. —
“这里还有不到一个月的工作要做。 —

After that I shall go back to the country. —
之后我将回到乡下。 —

I can’t stand this.”
我受不了这里。”

  I felt vexed for Grigori; that girl with the cherries looked so annoyinglyabsurd beside him.
我为格里高利感到恼火;那个拿着樱桃的女孩看起来在他身旁显得非常荒谬。

I often wondered why Grigori Shishlin was the master and PhomaTuchkov the workman. —
我经常想知道为什么格里高利·希什林是主人,而福马·图赫科夫是工人。 —

A strong, fair fellow, with curly hair, an aquilinenose, and gray, clever eyes in his round face, Phoma was not like a peasant. —
⼀纤细的浅色男⼭69、拥有卷曲的头发,⼀张狼⻰⿇的⽵,圆圆的脸上配着灰色、聪明的眼睛,福⻢并不像⼀名⽂。 —

Ifhe had been well-dressed, he might have been the son of a merchant of goodfamily. —
如果他打扮得体, 也许他是位出⽣于⼤.呼家庭的商人之⼦。 —

He was gloomy, taciturn, businesslike. Being well educated, he keptthe accounts of the contractor, drew up the estimates, and could set hiscomrades to work success — fully, but he worked unwillingly himself.
他闷闷不乐, 沉默寡言, 勤奋工作。受过良好教育的福马为承包商做账,起草预估, 能够成功地让同伴们工作, 但他却不情愿地工作。

  “You won’t make work last forever,” he said calmly. He despised books.
“你不能永远让工作持续下去,”他平静地说。他藐视书籍。

“They can print what they like, but I shall go on thinking as I like,” hesaid. —
“他们可以印刷任何东西, 但我仍会按照我喜欢的方式.思.,”他说。 —

“Books are all nonsense.”
“书都是胡扯。”

  But he listened attentively to every one, and if something interested him,he would ask all the details about it, perseveringly, always thinking of it inhis own way, measuring it by his own measure.
但他会专心地听每个人讲话, 如果某个东西引起了他的兴趣, 他会坚持不懈地询问所有细节, 总是用他自己的方式思考它, 用他自己的标准来衡量它。

  Once I told Phoma that he ought to be a contractor. He repliedindolently:
我曾告诉Phoma他应该做个承包商。他懒洋洋地回答道:

“If it were a question of turning over thousands, yes. —
“如果是要翻几千的话,是的。 —

But to worry myselffor the sake of making a few copecks, it is not worth while. —
但为了几个铜板我费心使力,不值得。 —

No, I am justlooking about; then I shall go into a monastery in Oranko. —
不,我只是四处看看;然后我会去奥兰科的修道院。 —

I am good-looking, powerful in muscle; I may take the fancy of some merchant’s widow!
我长相俊美,肌肉发达;我可能讨某个商人寡妇的喜欢!

Such things do happen. There was a Sergatzki boy who made his fortune intwo years, and married a girl from these parts, from the town. —
这种事情确实会发生。有一个来自斯尔加茨基庄园的小伙子,在两年内混出身家,娶了一个本地姑娘,来自这座城镇。 —

He had to takean icon to her house, and she saw him.”
他不得不送一个圣像到她家里,她看上了他。”

This was an obsession with him; he knew many tales of how takingservice in a monastery had led people to an easy life. —
这成了他的执念;他知道很多关于在修道院效劳后找到舒适生活的故事。 —

I did not care for thesestories, nor did I like the trend of Phoma’s mind, but I felt sure that he wouldgo to a monastery.
我对这些故事不感兴趣,也不喜欢Phoma思想的倾向,但我肯定他会去修道院。

When the market was opened, Phoma, to every one’s surprise, went aswaiter to a tavern. —
当市场开放时,Phoma出乎所有人的意料,去了一家小酒馆当服务生。 —

I do not say that his mates were surprised, but they allbegan to treat him mockingly. —
我不说他的同伴们感到惊讶,但他们开始嘲笑他。 —

On holidays they would all go together todrink tea, saying to one another :
假期时他们会一起去喝茶,彼此说着:

  “Let us go and see our Phoma.”
“我们去看看我们的Phoma吧。”

  And when they arrived at the tavern they would call out:
当他们到达酒馆时,会喊道:

  “Hi, waiter! Curly mop, come here!”
“嘿,服务生!卷发小子,过来!”

  He would come to them and ask, with his head held high :
他会走到他们面前,昂首问道:

  “What can I get for you?”
“你们想要什么?”

  “Don’t you recognize acquaintances now?”
“你们连熟人都不认识了吗?”

  “I never recognize any one.”
“我从来不认识任何人。”

He felt that his mates despised him and were making fun of him, and helooked at them with dully ex — pectant eyes. —
他觉得伙伴们看不起他,在取笑他,他用无奈的眼神看着他们。 —

His face might have been madeof wood, but it seemed to say:
他的脸或许像木头一样,但似乎在说:

  “Well, make haste; laugh and be done with it.”
“快点吧,笑完了就行了。”

  “Shall we give him a tip?” they would ask, and after purposely fumblingin their purses for a long time, they would give him nothing at all.
“我们要给他小费吗?”他们会问道,然后故意在钱包里翻了很长时间,最终什么也不给他。

  I asked Phoma how he could go out as a waiter when he had meant toenter a monastery.
我问Phoma,他怎么会当一名服务员,当初他本打算进修道院。

“I never meant to go into a monastery! —
“我从来没有想过要去修道院! —

” he replied, “and I shall not staylong as a waiter.”
”他回答道,“我也不会当服务员很久。”

Four years later I met him in Tzaritzin, still a waiter in a tavern; —
四年后,我在扎里宾遇见了他,依然是一家酒馆里的服务员; —

and laterstill I read in a newspaper that Phoma Tuchkov had been arrested for anattempted burglary.
后来我在报纸上看到,Phoma Tuchkov因为企图破坏而被捕。

The history of the mason, Ardalon, moved me deeply. —
石匠Ardalon的故事深深地触动了我。 —

He was the eldestand best workman in Petr’s gang. —
他是Petr团伙中年龄最大、工艺最好的工匠。 —

This black-bearded, light-hearted man offorty years also involuntarily evoked the query, “Why was he not the masterinstead of Petr? —
这个四十岁的黑胡子、轻松愉快的人不由地引起了这样一个疑问:“为什么他不是老板,而是Petr呢? —

” He seldom drank vodka and hardly ever drank too much; —
”他很少喝伏特加,几乎从不喝醉; —

he knew his work thoroughly, and worked as if he loved it; —
他对工作了如指掌,并且工作时就像是在热爱着; —

the bricks seemedto fly from his hands like red doves. —
砖头似乎从他手中飞出去,如同红色的鸽子。 —

In comparison with him, the sickly, leanPetr seemed an absolutely superfluous member of the gang. —
与他相比,瘦弱的Petr似乎是团伙里绝对多余的成员。 —

He used tospeak thus of his work:
他常常这样说起自己的工作:

  “I build stone houses for people, and a wooden coffin for myself.”
“我为别人盖石房子,为自己造木棺材。”

But Ardalon laid his bricks with cheerful energy as he cried: —
但阿达隆兴致勃勃地砌砖,同时喊道: —

“Work, mychild, for the glory of God.”
“为了上帝的荣耀,努力工作吧,我的孩子。”

  And he told us all that next spring he would go to Tomsk, where hisbrother-in-law had undertaken a large contract to build a church, and hadinvited him to go as overseer.
他告诉我们,明年春天他将去托木斯克,他的姐夫已经接手一份建造教堂的大合同,并邀请他去作为监工。

  “I have made up my mind to go. Building churches is work that I love!”
“我已经下定决心要去了。建造教堂是我喜欢的工作!”他说。并且建议我:“跟我一起去吧!

he said. And he suggested to me: “Come with me! —
对于受过教育的人来说,在西伯利亚很容易发展。教育在那里是一张王牌!” —

It is very easy, brother, foran educated person to get on in Siberia. —
我同意了他的建议,他得意地喊道: —

There, education is a trump card!”
“看吧!这才是正经事,不是开玩笑。”

  I agreed to his proposition, and he cried triumphantly :
对待彼得和格里戈里时,他表现出嘲笑的好脾气,像一个成年人对待孩子一样,然后对奥西普说:

  “There! That is business and not a joke.”
“吹牛大王!每个人都在炫耀自己的聪明才智,就像在打牌一样。一个说:‘我的牌都是某某颜色的,’另一个说:‘我的是王牌!’”

  Toward Petr and Grigori he behaved with good-natured derision, like agrown-up person towards children, and he said to Osip :
奥西普犹豫地观察着说:

“Braggarts! Each shows the other his cleverness, as if they were playingat cards. One says: —
“难道还能有其他吗?夸夸其谈是人之常情; —

‘My cards are all such and such a color,’ and the othersays, ‘And mine are trumps!’ ”
所有女孩都昂首挺胸地走来走去。”

  Osip observed hesitatingly:
转述者观察犹豫地说:

“How could it be otherwise? Boasting is only human; —
“难道能有其他吗?夸夸其谈是人之常情; —

all the girls walkabout with their chests stuck out.”
所有女孩都昂首挺胸地走来走去。”

“All, yes, all. It is God, God all the time. —
“全部,是的,全部。这都是上帝,上帝时时刻刻。 —

But they hoard up moneythemselves!” said Ardalon impatiently.
但他们却把钱囤积起来!”阿达隆不耐烦地说。

  “Well, Grisha doesn’t/’
“嗯,格里沙没有。”

“I am speaking for myself. I would go with this God into the forest, thedesert. —
“我在说我自己。我会跟着这位上帝去森林,去沙漠。 —

I ‘am weary of being here. In the spring I shall go to Siberia.”
我已经厌倦了这里。春天我要去西伯利亚。”

  The workmen, envious of Ardalon, said:
工人们羡慕着阿达隆,说:

  “If wc had such a chance in the shape of a brother-in-law, we should notbe afraid of Siberia either.”
“要是我们也有这样一个姻亲,我们也不会害怕西伯利亚。”

  And suddenly Ardalon disappeared. He went away from the workshopon Sunday, and for three days no one knew where he was.
突然阿达隆消失了。他在星期天离开了车间,三天没人知道他去哪里了。

  This made anxious conjectures.
这让人担忧地猜测。

  “Perhaps he has been murdered.”
“也许他被谋杀了。”

  “Or maybe he is drowned.”
“或许他淹死了。”

  But Ephimushka came, and declared in an embarrassed manner:
但埃菲姆什卡走过来,尴尬地说:

  “He has gone on the drink.”
“他去喝酒了。”

  “Why do you tell such lies?” cried Petr incredulously.
“你为什么说这种谎言?”彼得不相信地喊道。

“He has gone on the drink; he is drinking madly. —
“他去喝酒了;他喝得疯了。” —

He is just like a comkiln which burns from the very center. —
他就像一口从中心燃烧的炭炉。 —

Perhaps his much-loved wife is dead.”
或许他深爱的妻子已经去世了。”

  “He is a widower! Where is he?”
“他是个鳏夫!他在哪里?”

  Petr angrily set out to save Ardalon, but the latter fought him.
Petr愤怒地开始拯救Ardalon,但后者与他搏斗。

  Then Osip, pressing his lips together firmly, thrust his hands in hispockets and said:
那时,Osip咬紧嘴唇,把双手插进口袋,说道:

  “Shall I go have a look at him, and see what it is all about? He is a goodfellow.”
“我去看看他,看到底发生了什么?他是个好人。”

  I attached myself to him.
我跟着他走。

“Here’s a man,” said Osip on the way, “who lives for years quite decently,when suddenly he loses control of himself, and is all over the place. —
“这里有个人,”Osip在路上说道,“他过了多年相当体面的生活,突然失去了控制,乱七八糟的。” —

Look,Maximich, and learn.”
“看着,马克西米奇,学着点。”

We went to one of the cheap “houses of pleasure” of Kunavin Village, andwe were welcomed by a predatory old woman. —
我们去了库纳温村的一家廉价的“娱乐之家”,被一个老贼婆热情地欢迎。 —

Osip whispered to her, andshe ushered us into a small empty room, dark and dirty, like a stable. —
Osip对她轻声说了几句,她就领我们进了一个小又黑又脏的房间,像个马厩。 —

On asmall bed slept, in an abandoned attitude, a large, stout woman. —
在一张小床上,一个高大而肥胖的女人独自睡觉。 —

The oldwoman thrust her fist in her side and said :
老贼婆伸出手指戳了戳她的腰,说道:

  “Wake up, frog, wake up!”
“醒醒,青蛙,醒醒!”

  The woman jumped up in terror, rubbing her face with her hands, andasked :
那女人惊恐地跳起来,用手揉着脸问道:

  “Good Lord I who is it? What is it?”
“天啊,是谁?是什么东西?”

“Detectives are here,” said Osip harshly. —
“侦探们在这里,”奥西普严厉地说道。 —

With a groan the womandisappeared, and he spat after her and explained to me:
那个女人发出一声呻吟,然后消失了,他朝她吐了口唾沫,然后向我解释说:

  “They are more afraid of detectives than of the devil.”
“他们比鬼还害怕侦探。”

  Taking a small glass from the wall, the old woman raised a piece of thewall-paper.
老妇人从墙上取下一个小玻璃杯,抬起一块墙纸。

  “Look! Is he the one you want?”
“看!就是你们要找的那个人吗?”

  Osip looked through a chink in the partition.
奥西普透过隔板的缝隙看了一眼。

  “That is he! Get the woman away.”
“就是他!把这个女人赶走。”

I also looked through the chink into just such a narrow stable as the onewe were in. —
我也透过缝隙看到了一个与我们所在的狭窄的马棚相似的地方。 —

On the sill of the window, which was closely shuttered, burned atin lamp, near which stood a squinting, naked, Tatar woman, sewing achemise. —
在紧闭的窗户槛上燃烧着一盏油灯,旁边站着一个斜视的赤裸的鞑靼女人,正在缝制一件衬衣。 —

Behind her, on two pillows on the bed, was raised the bloated faceof Arda — lon, his black, tangled beard projecting.
在她身后,床上的两个枕头上,阿尔达隆的浮肿的脸显现出来,他那黑色纠结的胡须突兀。

  The Tatar woman shivered, put on her chemise, and came past the bed,suddenly appearing in our room.
那个鞑靼女人打着寒战,穿上衬衣,然后走过床,突然出现在我们的房间里。

  Osip looked at her and again spat.
奥西普看着她,再次吐了口唾沫。

  “Ugh! Shameless hussy!”
“呸!无耻的婊子!”

  “And you are an old fool!” she replied, laughing, Osip laughed too, andshook a threatening finger at her.
“你这个老糊涂蛋!”她回答着笑着,奥西普也笑了起来,向她摇了摇警告的手指。

  We went into the Tatar’s stable. The old man sat on the bed at Ardalon’sfeet and tried for a long time unsuccessfully to awaken him. He muttered:
我们进入了鞑靼人的马厩。老人坐在阿尔达隆脚下的床上,费了好长时间也没能把他叫醒。他喃喃地说道:

  “All right, wait a bit. We will go — ”
“好吧,等一等。我们会去——”

  At length he awoke, gazed wildly at Osip and at me, and closing hisbloodshot eyes, murmured :
最后他醒来了,狂热地盯着奥西普和我,闭上发红的眼睛,喃喃地说:

  “Well, well!”
“嗯,嗯。”

  “What is the matter with you?” asked Osip gently, without reproaches,but rather sadly.
“你怎么了?”奥西普轻声问道,没有责备,而是有些悲伤。

  “I was driven to it,” explained Ardalon hoarsely, and coughing.
“我被逼的。”阿尔达隆嘶哑地解释说着,咳嗽起来。

  “How?”
“怎么回事?”

  “Ah, there were reasons.”
“啊,有原因。”

  “You were not contented, perhaps?”
“你或许不满意?”

  “What is the good — ”
“何苦——”

Ardalon took an open bottle of vodka from the table, and began to drinkfrom it. —
阿尔达隆从桌子上拿起一瓶开封的伏特加,开始喝起来。 —

He then asked Osip:
然后他问奥西普:

  “Would you like some? There ought to be something to eat here as well.”
“你要来点吗?这里应该也有些吃的。”

  The old man poured some of the spirit into his mouth, swallowed it,frowned, and began to chew a small piece of bread carefully, but muddledArdalon said drowsily:
老人把一些烈酒倒进嘴里,吞下去,皱了皱眉头,然后仔细地嚼起一小块面包,但懵懂的阿达隆昏昏欲睡地说道:

“So I have thrown in my lot with the Tatar woman. —
“所以我和那名鞑靼女人走到了一起。” —

She is a pure Tatar, asEphimushka says, young, an orphan from Kasimov; —
她是一位纯种鞑靼人,正如Ephimushka所说,年轻,是来自Kasimov的孤儿; —

she was getting ready forthe fair.”
她正在准备去集市。

  From the other side of the wall some one said in broken Russian:
从墙的另一侧,有人用蹩脚的俄语说道:

  “Tatars are the best, like young hens. Send him away; he is not yourfather.”
“鞑靼人最好了,就像小母鸡一样。把他赶走;他不是你的父亲。”

  “That’s she,” muttered Ardalon, gazing stupidly at the wall.
“那就是她。”Ardalon嘟囔着,呆呆地看着墙。

  “I have seen her,” said Osip.
“我见过她了。”Osip说。

  Ardalon turned to me:
Ardalon转向我:

  “That is the sort of man I am, brother.”
“这就是我这样的人,兄弟。”

I expected Osip to reproach Ardalon, to give him a lecture which wouldmake him repent bitterly. But nothing of the kind happened; —
我原以为Osip会谴责Ardalon,给他一次激烈的训斥,让他深深后悔。但事实并非如此; —

they sat side byside, shoulder to shoulder, and uttered calm, brief words. —
他们并肩坐着,肩并肩,说着镇静简洁的话。 —

It was melancholyto see them in that dark, dirty stable. —
在那间黑暗肮脏的马厩里看到他们,颇感忧伤。 —

The woman called ludicrous wordsthrough the chink in the wall, but they did not listen to them. —
墙缝里的女人发出荒谬的话,但他们并不听。 —

Osip took awalnut off the table, cracked it against his boot, and began to remove theshell neatly, as he asked :
Osip从桌子上拿起一个核桃,在靴子上砸开,然后整洁地去掉壳,边做边问:

  “All your money gone?”
“你的钱全都花光了?”

  “There is some with Petrucha.”
“还有一些给Petrucha。”

  “I say! Aren’t you going away? If you were to go to Tomsk, now — ”
“我说!你不打算离开吗?要是你现在去汤姆斯克怎么样—”

  “What should I go to Tomsk for?”
“我去汤姆斯克干嘛?”

  “Have you changed your mind, then?”
“那你改变主意了?”

  “If I had been going to strangers, it would have been different.”
“如果我要去陌生地方,那就不一样了。”

  “What do you mean?”
“你是什么意思?”

  “But to go to my sister and my brother-in-law — ”
“但去见我姐姐和姐夫—”

  “What of it?”
“怎么了?”

  “It is not particularly pleasant to begin again with one’s own people.”
“再次和自己的人开始并不是特别愉快。”

  “The beginning is the same anywhere.”
“无论在哪,开始都是一样的。”

  “All the same —”
“但还是—”

  They talked in such an amicably serious vein that the Tatar woman leftoff teasing them, and coming into the room, took her frock down from thewall in silence, and disappeared.
“他们的谈话如此亲热而严肃,以至于鞑靼妇女停止了取笑他们,走进房间,默默地从墙上取下她的连衣裙,然后消失了。”

  “She is young,” said Osip.
“她还年轻,”奥西普说。

  Ardalon glanced at him and without annoyance replied :
“阿尔达隆看了看他,没有生气地回答说:”

  “Ephimushka is wrong-headed. He knows nothing, except about women.
“埃菲穆什卡糊涂。除了懂得关于女人的事情,他一无所知。

  But the Tatar woman is joyous; she maddens us all.”
但那位鞑靼妇女是快乐的;她让我们大家都疯了。”

  “Take care; you won’t be able to escape from her,” Osip warned him, andhaving eaten the walnut, took his leave.
“小心点;你逃不过她的。”奥西普警告他,吃完了核桃,便告别了。

  On the way back I asked Osip:
在回去的路上,我问奥西普:

  “Why did you go to him?”
“你为什么去找他?”

“Just to look at him. He is a man I have known a long time. I have seenma-a-ny such cases. —
“只是看看他。他是个我认识很久的人。我见过很多这样的例子。 —

A man leads a decent life, and suddenly he behaves as ifhe had just escaped from prison. —
一个人过着体面的生活,突然表现得好像刚从监狱里逃出来似的。 —

” He repeated what he had said before, “Oneshould be on one’s guard against vodka.”
”他重复了之前说过的话,“人们应当注意不要喝伏特加。”

  But after a minute he added :
但过了一会儿,他补充道:

  “But life would be dull without it.”
“但如果没有它,生活会变得乏味。”

  “Without vodka ?”
“没有伏特加?”

  “Well, yes! When you drink, it is just as if you were in another world.”
“嗯,是的!当你喝的时候,就好像置身于另一个世界。”

Ardalon never came back for good. At the end of a few days he returnedto work, but soon disappeared again, and in the spring I met him among thedock laborers ; —
阿尔达隆永远没有为了工作回来。几天过后,他回到工作岗位,但很快又消失了,春天时我在货运工人中遇见了他; —

he was melting the ice round the barges in the harbor. —
他正在港口周围给驳船除冰。 —

Wegreeted each other in friendly fashion and went to a tavern for tea, afterwhich he boasted :
我们友好地互相问候后去了一家茶馆,之后他吹嘘道:

“You remember what a workman I was, eh? —
“你还记得我是个怎样的工人,是吧? —

I tell you straight, I was anexpert at my own business! —
我告诉你,我在自己的工作上是个专家!” —

I could have earned hundreds.”
我本可以赚到成百上千的钱。

  “However, you did not.”
然而,你并没有。

  “No, I didn’t earn them,” he cried proudly. “I spit upon work!”
“不,我没有赚到,”他骄傲地喊道,”我对工作不屑一顾!”

  He swaggered. The people in the tavern listened to his impassionedwords and were impressed.
他神气活现。酒馆里的人听着他慷慨激昂的话语,都对他印象深刻。

“You remember what that sly thief Petrucha used to say about work? —
“你还记得那个狡猾的贼佩特鲁夏常说关于工作的话吗? —

Forothers stone houses; for himself a wooden coffin! —
为别人盖石头房子,为自己造木棺材! —

Well, that’s true of allwork!” I said:
那是对所有工作都是真的!” 我说:

  “Petrucha is ill. He is afraid of death.”
“佩特鲁夏病了。他害怕死亡。”

  But Ardalon cried :
但阿达隆却喊道:

  “I am ill, too; my heart is out of order.”
“我也病了;我的心脏出了问题。”

On holidays I often wandered out of the town to “Millioni Street,” wherethe dockers lived, and saw how quickly Ardalon had settled down amongthose uncouth ruffians. —
在假日里,我经常漫步离开城镇前往“百万街”,那里是搬运工的住处,看到阿达隆是如何快速地与那些粗野的暴徒们融为一体。 —

Only a year ago, happy and serious-minded, Ardalonhad now become as noisy as any of them. —
仅仅一年前,快乐而认真的阿达隆现在也变得和他们一样吵吵嚷嚷。 —

He had acquired their curious,shambling walk, looked at people defiantly, as if he were inviting every oneto fight with him, and was always boast — ing:
他学会了他们奇怪的摇摇晃晃的步态,目光挑衅地看着人们,仿佛邀请每个人和他打一架,总是吹嘘:

  “You see how I am received; I am like a chieftain here!”
“你看我如何被接待;我在这里就像一个酋长!”

  Never grudging the money he had earned, he liberally treated thedockers, and in fights he always took the part of the weakest. He often cried :
他从不吝啬自己赚到的钱,慷慨地请搬运工喝酒,而且在争吵中总是帮助最弱者。他经常喊道:

  “That’s not fair, children! You’ve got to fight fair!”
孩子们,这不公平!你们要公平斗争!

  And so they called him “Fairplay,” which delighted him.
因此他们称他为“公平赛”,这让他很高兴。

I ardently studied these people, closely packed in that old and dirty sackof a street. —
我热切地研究这些挤在那条又旧又脏的街道上的人群。 —

All of them were people who had cut themselves off from ordinarylife, but they seemed to have created a life of their own, independent of anymaster, and gay. —
他们都是那些与普通生活隔绝的人,但他们似乎创造了自己独立于任何主人的生活,并且很开心。 —

Careless, audacious, they reminded me of grandfather’sstories about the bargemen who so easily transformed themselves intobrigands or hermits. —
他们漫不经心、大胆,让我想起祖父讲的有关渡船工很容易转变成强盗或隐士的故事。 —

When there was no work, they were not squeamishabout committing small thefts from the barges and steamers, but that didnot trouble me, for I saw that life was sewn with theft, like an old coat withgray threads. —
没有工作时,他们也不介意从驳船和轮船上小偷小摸,但这并不让我烦恼,因为我看到生活就像一件旧外套上缝着灰色线一样,都是由小偷行为构成的。 —

At the same time I saw that these people never worked withenthusiasm, unsparing of their energies, as happened in cases of urgency,such as fires, or the breaking of the ice. —
同时我发现,这些人从不像在火灾或排冰等紧急情况下那样热情地、毫不吝惜地工作。 —

And, as a rule, they lived more of aholiday life than any other people.
作为一种规律,他们过着比其他人更多假日生活。

  But Osip, having noticed my friendship with Ardalon, warned me in afatherly way :
但是奥西普注意到了我和阿尔达隆的友情,像一个父亲般警告我:

“Look here, my boy; why this close friendship with the folk of MillioniStreet? —
“听着,孩子;为什么要和Millioni街的人这样亲近呢? —

Take care you don’t do yourself harm by it.”
小心别让自己吃苦头。”

  I told him as well as I could how I liked these people who lived so gaily,without working.
我尽可能好地告诉他,我喜欢这些过着快乐生活而不工作的人。

“Birds of the air they are!” he interrupted me, laughing. —
“他们就像空中的鸟!”他笑着打断我说。 —

“That’s whatthey are — idle, useless people; —
“他们就是 – 游手好闲、无用的人; —

and work is a calamity to them!”
劳动对他们来说是灾难!”

  “What is work, after all? As they say, the labors of the righteous don’tprocure them stone houses to live in!”
“其实工作又是什么呢?正直人的劳动并没有给他们换来石头房子!”我振振有词地说。我经常听到这句谚语,也觉得有道理。

  I said this glibly enough. I had heard the proverb so often, and felt thetruth of it.
我说得很顺利。但是奥西普非常生气,喊道:

  But Osip was very angry with me, and cried :
“谁这么说的?蠢货、懒人!而你还是个年轻人;不应该听这种话!

“Who says so? Fools, idlers! And you are a youngster; you ought not tolisten to such things! —
噢,你–!这是被羡慕、不成功的人才说的废话。 —

Oh, you —! That is the nonsense which is uttered by theenvious, the unsuccessful. —
等你长大了再说;那时候你就可以飞翔了! —

Wait till your feathers are grown ; then you canfly! —
我会告诉你的老板关于你和他们的友情。” —

And I shall tell your master about this friendship of yours.”
请等工作和那些人相结合时再给我说这些话。

  And he did tell. The master spoke to me about the matter.
我的主人对我提起过这件事。

“You leave the Millioni folk alone, Pyeshkov! —
“别去惹米利奥尼街的人,皮什科夫!” —

They are thieves andprostitutes, and from there the path leads to the prison and the hospital. Letthem alone!”
“他们是窃贼和妓女,走上了通往监狱和医院的道路。别去惹他们!”

I began to conceal my visits to Millioni Street, but I soon had to givethem up. —
我开始隐瞒我去米利奥尼街的行踪,但很快不得不放弃。 —

One day I was sitting with Ardalon and his comrade, Robenok, onthe roof of a shed in the yard of one of the lodging-houses. —
有一天,我和阿尔达隆和他的同伴罗贝诺克坐在一家旅馆庭院里的小屋顶上。 —

Robenok wasrelating to us amusingly how he had made his way on foot from Rostov, onthe Don, to Moscow. —
罗贝诺克正在有趣地给我们讲述他是如何从顿河畔的罗斯托夫步行到莫斯科的。 —

He had been a soldier-sapper, a Geogrivsky horseman,and he was lame. —
他曾是地皮兵,一个吉奥格里夫斯基马兵,他跛了。 —

In the war with Turkey he had been wounded in the knee.
在与土耳其的战争中,他的膝盖受伤了。

Of low stature, he had a terrible strength in his arms, a strength which was ofno profit to him, for his lameness prevented him from working. —
虽然身材矮小,但他的手臂有着一种可怕的力量,但由于跛脚无法工作。 —

He had hadan illness which had caused the hair to fall from his head and face ; —
他曾患病导致头发脱落; —

his headwas like that of a new-born infant.
他的头部就像一个刚出生的婴儿。

  With his brown eyes sparkling he said :
他眼睛闪闪发光地说:

“Well, at Serpoukhov I saw a priest sitting in a sledge. —
“哦,我在谢尔普霍夫看到一位牧师坐在雪橇上。 —

Tather,’ I said,‘give something to a Turkish hero.’ ”
‘老爹,’我说,‘给个土耳其英雄点什么吧。’”

  Ardalon shook his head and said :
阿尔达隆摇了摇头说:

  “That’s a lie!”
“那是谎言!”

  “Why should I lie?” asked Robenok, not in the least offended, and myfriend growled in lazy reproof :
“为什么要撒谎?”罗本诺克问道,一点也不生气,我的朋友懒散地呵斥道:

  “You are incorrigible! You have the chance of becoming a watchman —they always put lame men to that job — and you stroll about aimlessly, andtell lies.”
“你真是不可救药!你有机会成为一名看门人——他们总是让跛脚的人做这份工作——而你却漫无目的地游荡,撒谎。”

  “Well, I only do it to make people laugh. I lie just for the sake ofamusement.”
“唔,我只是为了让人们开心才这样做。我撒谎只是为了取悦。”

  “You ought to laugh at yourself.”
“你应该笑笑你自己。”

  In the yard, which was dark and dirty although the weather was dry andsunny, a woman appeared and cried, waving some sort of a rag about herhead :
院子里黑暗肮脏,尽管天气干燥晴朗,一个女人出现了,并挥舞着脑袋上的某种抹布喊道:

  “Who will buy a petticoat? Hi, friends!”
“谁买裙子?嘿,朋友们!”

Women crept out from the hidden places of the house and gatheredclosely round the seller. —
妇女们从房子的隐秘角落悄悄走出来,聚在卖主的周围。 —

I recognized her at once; it was the laundress,Natalia. —
我一眼就认出了她;是洗衣女纳塔莉娅。 —

I jumped down from the roof, but she, having given the petticoat tothe first bidder, had already quietly left the yard.
我从屋顶上跳下来,但是她已经把半截衣裙交给第一个竞标者,并悄悄离开了院子。

  “How do you do?” I greeted her joyfully as I caught her at the gate.
“你好?”我高兴地在门口拦住她。

“What next, I wonder?” she exclaimed, glancing at me askance, and thenshe suddenly stood still, crying angrily: —
“接下来会发生什么事呢?”她瞟了我一眼,然后突然停下来,愤怒地喊道: —

“God save us! What are you doinghere?”
“天哪!你在这里做什么呢?”

Her terrified exclamation touched and confused me. I realized that shewas afraid for me; —
她恐惧的呼喊触动并困惑了我。我意识到她为我担忧; —

terror and amazement were shown so plainly in herintelligent face. —
恐惧和惊讶清楚地显现在她聪明的脸上。 —

I soon explained to her that I was not living in that street, butonly went there sometimes to see what there was to see.
我很快向她解释,我并不住在那条街上,只是有时会去那里看看。

“See?” she cried angrily and derisively. —
“看见了吗?”她生气地嘲笑道。 —

“What sort of a place is this thatyou should want to see it? It’s the women you ‘re after.”
“这是什么地方,让你想去看?你是为了那些女人才来的。”

  Her face was wrinkled, dark shadows lay under her eyes, and her lipsdrooped feebly.
她的脸上布满皱纹,眼睛下有深浅的阴影,嘴唇无力地下垂。

  Standing at the door of a tavern she said :
她站在一家酒馆的门口说:

  “Come in; I am going to have some teal You are well-dressed, not likethey dress here, yet I cannot believe what you say.”
“进来吧;我要喝点茶。你衣着体面,不像这里的人那样穿,但我无法相信你说的话。”

  But in the tavern she seemed to believe me, and as she poured out tea,she began to tell me how she had only awakened from sleep an hour ago, andhad not had anything to eat or drink yet.
但在酒馆里她似乎相信了我,她倒茶的时候开始告诉我她刚刚才从睡眠中醒来,还没有吃过东西喝过水。

“And when I went to bed last night I was as drunk as drunk. —
“昨晚睡觉的时候我喝得烂醉如泥。 —

I can’t evenremember where I had the drink, or with whom.”
我甚至记不得曾在哪里喝酒,和谁一起喝。”

I felt sorry for her, awkward in her presence, and I wanted to ask herwhere her daughter was. —
我为她感到难过,与她在一起感到尴尬,我想问问她女儿在哪里。 —

After she had drunk some vodka and hot tea, shebegan to talk in a familiar, lively way, coarsely, like all the women of thatstreet, but when I asked about her daughter she was sobered at once, andcried:
喝了些伏特加和热茶后,她开始用一种熟悉、活泼的方式谈话,像那条街上所有的女人那样粗鲁,但当我问起她女儿时,她立刻清醒过来,哭道:

  “What do you want to know for? No, my boy, you won’t get hold of her;don’t think it!”
“你想知道什么?别想着找到她;别指望!”

  She drank more, and then she said :
她喝了更多,然后说:

“I have nothing to do with my daughter. What am I? A laundress! —
“我与女儿无关。我算什么?一名洗衣妇! —

Whatsort of a mother for her? She is well brought up, educated. That she is, mybrother! —
她受过良好教育,教养良好。她是我亲爱的!” —

She left me to live with a rich friend, as a teacher, like — ”
她离开我与一个富有的朋友一起生活,作为一名教师,就像——

  After a silence she said :
沉默之后她说:

  “That’s how it is! The laundress doesn’t please you, but the street —walker does?”
“就是这样!洗衣妇不讨你喜欢,但街头女郎就讨你喜欢?”

That she was a street-walker I had seen at once, of course. —
当然我马上就看出她是个街头女郎。 —

There was noother kind of woman in that street. —
这条街上没有其他类型的女人。 —

But when she told me so herself, my eyesfilled with tears of shame and pity for her. —
但当她亲口告诉我时,我的眼睛里充满了羞愧和对她的怜悯之情。 —

I felt as if she had burned me bymaking that admission, — she, who not long ago had been so brave,independent, and clever.
当她做出那种承认的时候,我感觉自己被烧伤了——她,曾不久前是那么勇敢、独立和聪明。

“Ekh! you!” she said, looking at me and sighing. —
“呃!你!”她看着我叹息道。 —

“Go away from thisplace, I beg you! I urge you, don’t come here, or you will be lost!”
“请离开这里,我求你!我劝你,不要来这里,否则你会迷失自己!”

  Then she began to speak softly and brokenly, as if she were talking toherself, bending over the table and drawing figures on the tray with herfingers.
接着她开始轻轻地、断断续续地说话,仿佛在自言自语,弯身趴在桌子上用手指在托盘上画图形。

“But what are my entreaties and my advice to you? —
“但是我的劝告和忠告对你有什么用呢? —

When my owndaughter would not listen to me I cried to her: —
当我自己的女儿不听我的话时,我对她大喊: —

‘You can’t throw aside yourown mother. What are you thinking of? —
‘你不能抛弃自己的母亲。你在想些什么? —

’ And she — she said, T shall stranglemyself! —
’ 她——她说,‘我要掐死自己!’ —

’ And she went away to Kazan ; she wants to learn to be a midwife.
’ 然后她去了喀山;她想要学习成为一名接生助产士。

Good — good! But what about me? You see what I am now? —
好 — 好!但是我怎么样?你看见我的现状了吗? —

What have I tocling to? And so I went on the streets.”
我还有什么可以依靠吗?所以我走上了街头。”

She fell into a silence, and thought for a long time, soundlessly movingher lips. —
她陷入了沉默,沉思了很长时间,无声地动着嘴唇。 —

It was plain that she had forgotten me. The corners of her lipsdrooped; —
显然她已经忘记了我。她的嘴角下垂; —

her mouth was curved like a sickle, and it was a torturing sight tosee how her lips quivered, and how the wavering furrows on her face spokewithout words. —
她的嘴像镰刀一样弯曲,看着她唇颤抖,脸上摇摆的皱纹无声地述说,简直是一种折磨。 —

Her face was like that of an aggrieved child. —
她的脸像一个受委屈的孩子一样。 —

Strands of hairhad fallen from under her headkerchief, and lay on her cheek, or coiledbehind her small ear. —
有几缕头发从头巾下滑落,落在她的脸颊上,或盘绕在她小耳朵后面。 —

Her tears dropped into her cup of cold tea, and seeingthis, she pushed the cup away and shut her eyes tightly, squeezing out twomore tears. —
她的眼泪掉进了冷茶杯里,看见这一幕,她推开了杯子,紧闭双眼,挤出另外两滴眼泪。 —

Then she wiped her face with her handkerchief. —
接着她用手绢擦拭着脸。 —

I could not bearto stay with her any longer. I rose quietly.
我无法再和她在一起。我悄悄站起。

  “Good-by!”
“再见!”

“Eh? Go — go to the devil!” She waved me away without looking at me; —
“嗯?走吧 — 让我静静!”她挥手把我打发走,没有看着我; —

she had apparently forgotten who was with her.
她似乎忘记了谁和她在一起。

I returned to Ardalon in the yard. He had meant to come with me tocatch crabs, and I wanted to tell him about the woman. —
我回到院子里找阿尔达隆。他本来想跟我一起去捉螃蟹,我想告诉他有关那位女人的事。 —

But neither he norRobenok were on the roof of the shed; —
但是他和罗本诺克都不在棚顶了; —

and while I was looking for him in thedisorderly yard, there arose from the street the sound of one of those rowswhich were frequent there.
我在混乱的院子里找他时,街上传来了一声争吵,那种在那里经常发生的事情。

I went out through the gate and came into collision with Natalia,sobbing, wiping her bruised face with her headkerchief. —
我走出大门时,撞到了拿塔利娅,她哭泣着,用手绢擦拭着受伤的脸。 —

Setting straight herdisordered hair with her other hand, she went blindly along the footpath,and following her came Ardalon and Robenok. —
用另一只手整理着凌乱的头发,她盲目地沿着人行道走去,后面跟着阿尔达隆和罗贝诺克。 —

The latter was saying:
罗贝诺克说:

  “Give her one more; come on!”
“再给她一下;来吧!”

Ardalon overtook the woman, flourishing his fist. —
阿尔达隆追上那个女人,挥舞着拳头。 —

She turned her bosomfull toward himi; her face was terrible ; —
她把胸部转向他,脸上充满了恐怖; —

her eyes blazed with hatred.
她的眼睛充满着仇恨的火焰。

  “Go on, hit me!” she cried.
“继续,打我!”她喊道。

  I hung on to Ardalon’s arm; he looked at me in amazement.
我拉住了阿尔达隆的胳膊;他惊讶地看着我。

  “What’s the matter with you?”
“你怎么了?”

  “Don’t touch her!” I just managed to say.
“不要碰她!”我勉强说出口。

  He burst out laughing.
他笑了出来。

  “She is your lover? Aie, that Natashka, she has devoured our littlemonk.”
“她是你的情人?哎呀,那个娜塔什卡,她吞噬了我们的小和尚。”

Robenok laughed, too, holding his sides, and for a long time they roastedme with their hot obscenity. —
罗贝诺克也笑了,捂着肚子,他们用淫秽的话语嘲笑我很长时间。 —

It was unbearable! But while they were thusoccupied, Natalia went away, and I, losing my temper at last, struck Robenokin the chest with my head, knocking him over, and ran away.
这真是无法忍受!但在他们忙得不可开交的时候,娜塔莉娅离开了,我终于失去耐心,用头撞上了罗本奥金的胸膛,把他撞倒后跑了。

For a long time after that I did not go near Million! Street. —
那之后很长一段时间我都不再去百万街了。 —

But I sawArdalon once again; I met him on the ferry-boat.
但我又一次看到了阿尔达隆;我在渡船上遇见了他。

  “Where have you been hiding yourself?” he asked joyfully.
“你躲哪里去了?”他高兴地问道。

  When I told him that it was repulsive to me to remember how he hadknocked Natalia about and ob — scenely insulted me, Ardalon laughed goodnaturedly.
当我告诉他我厌恶想起他是如何揍娜塔莉娅和“淫秽地”辱骂我时,阿尔达隆友好地笑了。

“Did you take that seriously? We only rubbed it into you for a joke! —
“你当真了?我们只是开个玩笑揶揄你而已! —

As forher, why shouldn’t she be knocked about, a street-walker? —
至于她,为什么不能被揍呢,一个街头女人? —

People beat theirwives, so they are certainly not going to have more mercy on such as that!
人们会打自己的妻子,所以他们当然不会对那种人手下留情!

Still, it was only a joke, the whole thing. —
但是,整个都只是个玩笑。 —

I understand, you know, that the fistis no good for teaching!”
我懂,你知道,拳头教训不了她!”

  “What have you got to teach her? How are you better than she is?”
“你有什么资格教训她?你又比她好在哪里?”

  He put his hands on my shoulders and, shaking me, said banteringly:
他把手放在我的肩上,戏谑地摇晃着我,说道:

  “In our disgraceful state no one of us is better than another.”
“在我们这种可耻的状态下,我们没有一个比另一个更好。”

  Then he laughed and added boastfully:
然后他笑了,并自吹自擂地补充说:

  “I understand everything from within and without, brother, everything! Iam not wood!”
“我内外都了然于心,兄弟,一切我都懂!我可不是木头!”

He was a little tipsy, at the jovial stage; —
他有点喝醉了,处于愉快的阶段; —

he looked at me with the tenderpity of a good master for an unintelligent pupil.
他用一种好主人对待不聪明的学生的温柔怜悯之眼看着我。

  Sometimes I met Pavl Odintzov. He was livelier than ever, dressed like adandy, and talked to me condescendingly and always reproachfully.
有时候我会遇到帕夫尔·奥金佐夫。他比以往任何时候都要活泼,打扮得像个花花公子,总是以一副高高在上和责备的口吻和我交谈。

  “You are throwing yourself away on that kind of work! They are nothingbut peasants.”
你把自己浪费在那种工作上!他们只不过是些农民。

  Then he would sadly retail all the latest news from the workshop.
然后他悲伤地转述车间里的最新消息。

“Jikharev is still taken up with that cow. Sitanov is plainly fretting; —
“季哈列夫还在忙于那头母牛。斯坦诺夫显然很烦躁; —

hehas begun to drink to excess. The wolves have eaten Golovev; he was cominghome from Sviatka; —
他开始过量饮酒。狼吃掉了戈洛夫;他从斯维亚特卡回家时被狼吃了; —

he was drunk, and the wolves devoured him. —
他喝醉了,狼们把他吞了。 —

” Andbursting into a gay peal of laughter he comically added:
”他突然开心地笑了起来,滑稽地补充说道:

“They ate him and they all became drunk themselves! —
“它们吃了他,然后它们自己都喝醉了! —

They were verymerry and walked about the forests on their hind legs, like performing dogs.
它们非常欢乐,像驯服的狗一样用后腿在森林里走来走去。

  Then they fell to fighting and in twenty-four hours they were all dead!”
然后它们开始打架,二十四小时后它们都死了!”

  I listened to him and laughed, too, but I felt that the workshop and all Ihad experienced in it was very far away from me now.
我听着他,也跟着笑,但我感到车间和我在其中经历的一切现在离我很远。

  This was rather a melancholy reflection.
这是一个相当忧郁的反思。