GRANDFATHER and grandmother had again gone into the town. —
祖父和祖母再次进城了。 —

I went tothem, prepared to be angry and warlike; but my heart was heavy. —
我走向他们,准备生气和好斗;但我的心很沉重。 —

Why hadthey accounted me a thief 9Grandmother greeted me tenderly, and at once went to prepare thesamovar. —
他们为什么认为我是个贼呢?祖母温柔地问候我,立即去准备热水壶。 —

Grandfather asked as mockingly as usual:
祖父像往常一样嘲讽地问道:

  “Have you saved much money?”
“你存了很多钱了吗?”

“What there is belongs to me,” I answered, taking a seat by the window. —
“有多少都是我的,”我边说边坐到窗边。 —

Itriumphantly produced a box of cigarettes from my pocket and began tosmoke importantly.
我得意地从口袋里拿出一盒香烟开始重要地抽起来。

“So-o-o,” said grandfather, looking at me fixedly — “so that’s it! —
“这么说……”爷爷盯着我看,“所以是这样! —

Yousmoke the devil’s poison? Isn’t it rather soon?”
“你吸食魔鬼的毒品?这未免有点太早了吧?”

  “Why, I have even had a pouch given to me,” I boasted.
“哦,我甚至还收到了一个烟荷袋。”我吹嘘道。

  “A pouch?” squeaked grandfather. “What! Are you saying this to annoyme?”
“一个烟荷袋?”爷爷尖声说道,“难道你在故意惹我生气吗?”

He rushed upon me, with his thin, strong hands out-stretched, his greeneyes flashing. —
他的瘦弱手臂伸向我,绿色的眼睛闪烁着。 —

I leaped up, and stuck my head into his stomach. —
我窜起,伏在他肚子上。 —

The old mansat on the floor, and for several oppressive moments looked at me, amazedlyblinking, his dark mouth open. —
老人坐在地板上,过了几个沉闷的瞬间,惊讶地看着我,眨巴着眼,嘴巴张得大大的。 —

Then he asked quietly:
然后他平静地问道:

  “You knock me down, your grandfather? The father of your mother?”
“你把我打倒了,你的爷爷?你母亲的父亲?”

  “You have knocked me about enough in the past,” I muttered, notunderstanding that I had acted abominably.
“你过去已经揍过我够多的了,”我低声说,不明白自己行为的恶劣。

  Withered and light, grandfather rose from the floor, sat beside me, deftlysnatched the cigarette from me, threw it out of the window, and said in atone of fear:
干瘪而瘦弱的爷爷从地板上站起来,坐在我旁边,熟练地从我手中夺走香烟,扔出窗外,害怕地说道:

“You mad fool! Don’t you understand that God will punish you for thisfor the rest of your life? —
“你这个疯子!难道你不明白,上帝会因此而惩罚你一生? —

Mother,” — he turned to grandmother, — “did yousee that? —
“母亲,”他转向姥姥说,“你看见了吗? —

He knocked me down — he! Knocked me down! Ask him!”
“他打倒我了—他!打倒我了!问问他!”

  She did not wait to ask. She simply came over to me, seized me by thehair, and beat me, saying:
她等不及询问。她径直走到我面前,抓住我的头发,还打我,说:

  “And for that — take this — and this!”
“这个-拿着吧 - 还有这个!”

I was not hurt, but I felt deeply insulted, especially by grandfather’slaughter. —
我并没有受伤,但我感到被深深侮辱,尤其是被爷爷的笑声所伤。 —

He jumped on a chair, slapped his legs with his hands, and croakedthrough his laughter:
他跳到椅子上,用手拍打着腿,笑声中嘎吱作响:

  “Th-a-t’s right! Tha-a-t’s right!”
“没错!没错!”

  I tore myself away, and ran out to the shed, where I lay in a comercrushed, desolate, listening to the singing of the samovar.
我挣脱开,跑到了棚里,蜷缩在那里,心情沮丧,孤独,听着煮茶壶的歌声。

  Then grandmother came to me, bent over me, and whispered hardlyaudibly:
然后奶奶走到我身边,俯身在我耳边轻声说道:

“You must forgive me, for I purposely did not hurt you. —
“你必须原谅我,因为我故意没有伤害你。 —

I could not dootherwise than I did, for grandfather is an old man. He has to be treated withcare. —
我别无选择,因为爷爷是个老人。必须小心照料他。 —

He has fractured some of his small bones, and, besides, sorrow haseaten into his heart. —
他碎裂了一些小骨头,而且,悲伤已经吞噬了他的心。 —

You must never do him any harm. You are not a littleboy now. —
你绝对不能伤害他。你现在不再是一个小男孩了。 —

You must remember that. You must, Oleshal He is like a child, andnothing more.”
你必须记住这一点。你必须,奥列夏!他就像一个孩子,仅此而已。”

Her words laved me like warm water. —
她的话就像温水般洗涤着我。 —

That friendly whisper made mefeel ashamed of myself, and, light-hearted, I embraced her warmly. Wekissed.
那亲切的低语让我为自己感到羞愧,轻松了心情,我热情地拥抱她。我们亲吻了。

  “Go to him. Go along. It is all right, only don’t smoke before him yet.
“去找他。赶快去。没关系,只是别在他面前吸烟。

  Give him time to get used to the idea.”
给他时间适应这个想法。”

I went back to the room, glanced at grandfather, and could hardly keepfrom laughing. —
我回到房间,瞥了一眼爷爷,几乎忍不住笑了出来。 —

He really was as pleased as a child. He was radiant, twistinghis feet, and running his paws through his red hair as he sat by the table.
他真的像个孩子一样高兴。他满脸笑容,扭动着脚,坐在桌边时还用爪子梳理着红色的头发。

“Well, goat, have you come to butt me again? Ach, you — brigand! Justlike your father! —
“嗯,山羊,你又来撞我了吗?哎呀,你这个——强盗!就像你父亲一样! —

Freemason! You come back home, never cross yourself, andstart smoking at once. —
共济会会员!你回家,一进门就开始抽烟。 —

Ugh, you — Bonaparte! you copeck’s worth of goods!”
呸,你——波拿巴!你一个瓦尔他硬币那么不值钱的货物!

I said nothing. He had exhausted his supply of words and was silent fromfatigue. —
我什么也没说。他已经说尽了话,因疲惫而沉默了。 —

But at tea he began to lecture me.
但茶点时他开始对我讲道理。

“The fear of God is necessary to men.; it is like a bridle to a horse. —
“敬畏上帝对人是必要的,它就像马的笼头一样。 —

Wehave no friend except God. Man is a cruel enemy to man. —
我们除了上帝没有朋友。人对人类是残忍的敌人。 —

” That men were myenemies, I felt was the truth, but the rest did not interest me.
” 人们是我的敌人,这是我感觉到的真相,但其他的都不让我感兴趣。

“Now you will go back to Aunt Matrena, and in the spring you can go ona steamboat again. —
“现在你要回去找玛特里娜姨妈,春天可以再坐蒸汽船而去。 —

Live with them during the winter. And you need not tellthem that you are leaving in the spring.”
冬天和他们一起住。春天离开的事你不必告诉他们。”

“Now, why should he deceive people? —
“为什么要欺骗人呢? —

” said grandmother, who had justdeceived grandfather by pre tending to give me a beating.
” 刚刚假装要打我一顿的姥姥说道。

“It is impossible to live without deceit,” declared grandfather. —
“没有欺骗是不可能生存的,” 爷爷宣称道。 —

“Just tellme now. Who lives without deceiving others?”
“告诉我吧。谁能活得没有欺骗他人?”

In the evening, while grandfather was reading his office, grandmotherand I went out through the gate into the fields. —
在傍晚,爷爷在办公室看文件的时候,奶奶和我走出了大门,来到了田野间。 —

The little cottage with twowindows in which grandfather lived was on the outskirts of the town, at theback of Kanatni Street, where grandfather had once had his own house.
爷爷住的有两扇窗户的小屋位于镇外,坐落在卡纳特尼街的尽头,曾经那里是爷爷自己的房子。

“So here we are again!” said grandmother, laughing. —
“我们又来到这里了!”奶奶笑着说。 —

“The old mancannot find a resting-place for his soul, but must be ever on the move. —
“老人找不到一个安宁的所在地,只能不停地迁徙。 —

Andhe does not even like it here; but I do.”
他甚至也不喜欢这里,但我喜欢。”

Before us stretched for about three versts fields of scanty herbage,intersected by ditches, bounded by woods and the line of birches on theKazan highroad. —
在我们前方延伸了大约三条公里的草场,草场上矮矮稀疏的草丛间夹杂着沟渠、林地和喀山高速公路上的一排白桦树。 —

From the ditches the twigs of bushes projected, the rays of acold sunset reddened them like blood. —
沟渠中的灌木枝条向外突出,冷冽的日落将它们染红如血。 —

A soft evening breeze shook the grayblades of grass. —
柔和的晚风摇曳着灰色的草叶。 —

From a nearer pathway, also like blades of grass, showed thedark form of town lads and girls. —
从一条较近的小路上,显现出城里男男女女的黑影。 —

On the right, in the distance, stood the redwalls of the burial-ground of the Old Believers. —
右边远处是旧信徒的红墙墓地。 —

They called it “The BugrovskiHermitage. —
人们称之为“布格罗夫斯基修道院”。 —

” On the left, beyond the causeway, rose a dark group of trees;there was the Jewish cemetery. —
左边在堤坝以外,是一片阴森的树丛;那里是犹太人的墓地。 —

All the surroundings were poor, and seemedto lie close to the wounded earth. —
周围的一切都很贫瘠,似乎都紧贴着那受伤的大地。 —

The little houses on the outskirts of thetown looked timidly with their windows on the dusty road. —
镇外的小房屋羞怯地朝着尘土飞扬的路边张望着。 —

Along the roadwandered small, ill-fed fowl. —
沿着路边漫步的是一些小而飢餓的禽鳥。 —

Toward the Dyevichia Monastery went a herd oflowing cows, from the camp came the sound of martial music. —
一群低鳴的牛朝德维奇亚修道院走去,营地传来军乐声。 —

The brassinstruments brayed.
铜管乐器发出嘶鸣声。

  A drunken man came along, ferociously holding out a harmonica. Hestumbled and muttered:
一个醉酒的人走了过来,凶猛地伸出一架口琴。他蹒跚而行,嘟囔道:

  “I am coming to thee — without fail.”
“我一定会来到你这里的。”

“Fool!” said grandmother, blinking in the red sun-light. “Where are yougoing ? —
“傻瓜!”祖母眯着眼睛,在红阳光中说。“你要去哪里呢? —

Soon you will fall down and go to sleep, and you will be robbed inyour sleep. —
你很快就会倒下去睡着,然后在睡梦中被抢劫。 —

You will lose your harmonica, your consolation.”
你会丢掉口琴,你的安慰。”

I told her all about the life on the boat as I looked about me. —
当我四处张望时,我告诉她有关船上生活的一切。 —

After what Ihad seen I found it dull here; I felt like a fish out of water. —
按照我所看到的,我觉得这里很无聊;我感觉不舒服。 —

Grandmotherlistened in silence and with attention, just as I liked to listen to her. —
祖母默默地倾听着,专心致志,就像我喜欢听她讲话一样。 —

When Itold her about Smouri she crossed herself and said:
当我告诉她关于斯莫利时,她十字架在胸前说:

“He is a good man, help him. Mother of God; he is good! —
“他是个好人,上帝的母亲,帮助他吧。他是个好人! —

Take care, you,that you do not forget him! —
当心你,不要忘记他! —

You should always remember what is good, andwhat is bad simply forget.”
你应该永远记住什么是好的,而那些坏的只要忘记就好。”

It was very difficult for me to tell her why they had dismissed me, but Itook courage and told her. —
我很难告诉她他们为什么开除了我,但我鼓起勇气告诉了她。 —

It made no impression whatever on her. Shemerely said calmly:
她对此毫不在意。她平静地说道:

“You are young yet; you don’t know how to live. —
“你还年轻,不懂得生活。 —

” “That is what they allsay to one another, ‘You don’t know how to live’ — peasants, sailors, AuntMatrena to her son. —
“他们都互相这样对待,‘你不懂得生活’ — 农民,海员,马特琳娜阿姨对她的儿子。 —

But how does one learn?” She compressed her lips andshook her head. —
可是要怎么学呢?”她嘴唇紧抿着,摇了摇头。 —

“I don’t know myself.”
“我自己也不知道。”

  “And yet you say the same as the others!” “And why should I not say it?”
“但你却说了和他们一样的话!” “为什么我不能说?”

replied grandmother, calmly. “You must not be offended. You are young; —
奶奶平静地回答说:“你不必生气。你还年轻; —

youare not expected to know. And who does know, after all? Only rogues. —
没有人会指望你懂。到底谁懂呢?只有流氓。 —

Lookat your grandfather. Clever and well educated as he is, yet he does not know.”
看看你爷爷。他虽然聪明受过良好教育,但还是不明白。”

“And you — have you managed your life well?” “I? Yes. And badly also;all ways. —
“那你——你过得好吗?”“我?是的。也不好;种种方式都有。 —

” People sauntered past us, with their long shadows following them.
人们悠闲地从我们身边走过,他们的长影子跟随在后。

The dust rose like smoke under their feet, burying those shadows. —
尘土像烟一样在他们的脚下升起,埋葬着那些影子。 —

Then theevening sadness became miore oppressive. —
随后,傍晚的忧伤变得更为沉重。 —

The sound of grand — father’sgrumbling voice flowed from the window:
爷爷抱怨的声音从窗户里传出:

  “Lord, in Thy wrath do not condemn me, nor in Thy rage punish me!”
“主啊,在你的忿怒中,请不要定我罪,也不要在你的愤怒中惩罚我!”

  Grandmother said, smiling:
奶奶笑着说:

“He has made God tired of him. Every evening he has his tale of woe, andabout what? —
“他让上帝厌烦了。每天晚上他都有怨言,关于什么呢? —

He is old now, and he does not need anything; —
他现在已经老了,什么都不缺; —

yet he is alwayscomplaining and working himself into a frenzy about something. —
但他总是抱怨,为点什么事情激动不已。 —

I expectGod laughs when He hears his voice in the evening. —
我想上帝听到他的声音每天晚上都会笑起来。 —

There’s Vassili Kashiringrumbling again! —
又是瓦西里·卡西林再次抱怨!” —

’ Come and go to bed now.”
“现在过来上床睡觉。”

I made up my mind to take up the occupation of catching singing-birds. —
我决定从事捕捉唱歌鸟的职业。 —

Ithought it would be a good way of earning a living. —
我认为这是一个赚钱的好方法。 —

I would catch them, andgrandmother would sell them. —
我会捉到它们,奶奶会卖掉它们。 —

I bought a net, a hoop, and a trap, and made acage. —
我买了一个网、一个圈子和一个陷阱,还做了一个笼子。 —

At dawn I took my place in a hollow among the bushes, whilegrandmother went in the woods with a basket and a bag to find the lastmushrooms, bulbs, and nuts.
黎明时分,我在灌木丛中的一个凹处站定,而奶奶带着一个篮子和一个袋子在森林里寻找最后的蘑菇、鳖茸和坚果。

The tired September sun had only just risen. —
疲惫的九月太阳刚刚升起。 —

Its pale rays were nowextinguished by clouds, now fell like a silver veil upon me in the causeway. —
它苍白的光芒时而被云遮蔽,时而像一块银色的面纱落在我面前的铺道上。 —

Atthe bottom of the hollow it was still dusk, and a white mist rose from it. —
在凹处底部仍然昏暗,一股白雾从中升起。 —

Itsclayey sides were dark and bare, and the other side, which was more sloping,was covered with grass, thick bushes, and yellow, brown, and scarlet leaves.
它的泥土的一侧是黑暗的且光秃秃的,而另一侧,比较倾斜的一侧,则覆盖着茂密的灌木、黄色、褐色和绯红色的树叶。

  A fresh wind raised them and swept them along the ditch.
一阵清风卷起这些叶子,并沿着沟渠吹开。

On the ground, among the turnip-tops, the gold-finch uttered its cry. —
在田间,油菜花顶上的金翅雀发出叫声。 —

Isaw, among the ragged, gray grass, birds with red caps on their lively heads.
我看到,在蓬乱的灰草中,一群头戴红帽的鸟儿。

About me fluttered curious titmouses. —
围着我飞来飞去的是好奇的山雀。 —

They made a great noise and fuss,comically blowing out their white cheeks, just like the young men of KunavinStreet on a Sunday. —
它们发出巨大的噪音和骚动,滑稽地吹出它们的白脸颊,就像库纳温大街的年轻人在星期天一样。 —

Swift, clever, spiteful, they wanted to know all and totouch everything, and they fell into the trap one after the other. —
机灵、聪明、恶毒,它们想要了解一切和触摸一切,它们一个接一个地落入陷阱。 —

It was pitifulto see how they beat their wings, but my business was strictly commerce. —
看到它们拍打翅膀的样子真是可怜,但我的生意与此毫不相干。 —

Ichanged the birds over into the spare cage and hid them in a bag. —
我把鸟儿换到备用笼子里,把它们藏在袋子里。 —

In the darkthey kept quiet.
在黑暗中它们保持安静。

A flock of siskins settled on a hawthorn-bush. The bush was suffused bysunlight. —
一群金翅雀落在一株山楂树上。阳光把整个灌木丛都灼热了。 —

The siskins were glad of the sun and chirped more merrily thanever. —
金翅雀为阳光高兴,比以往更欢快地啁啾。 —

Their antics were like those of schoolboys. —
它们的滑稽行为就像学生。 —

The thirsty, tame, speckledmagpie, late in setting out on his journey to a warmer country, sat on thebending bough of a sweetbriar, cleaning his wing feathers and insolentlylooking at his prey with his black eyes. —
口渴的、驯化的、斑驳的喜鹊,迟迟未启程去往更暖和的国家,栖在一株蔷薇树的弯曲树枝上,整理着翅膀羽毛,黑眼睛傲慢地盯着猎物。 —

The lark soared on high, caught a bee,and, carefully depositing it on a thorn, once more settled on the ground, withhis thievish head alert. —
云雀飞上高处,捉住一只蜜蜂,小心翼翼地将它放在刺上,再一次在地上安顿下来,那骗贼般的头朝上仰。 —

Noiselessly flew the talking-bird, — the hawfinch, —the object of my longing dreams, if only I could catch him. —
那会说话的鸟——山雀——飞翔无声,是我梦寐以求的对象,只要我能捉到它。 —

A bullfinch,driven from the flock, was perched on an alder-tree. —
被驱离群体的灰蓝朱顶雀栖息在一棵黑桤木上。 —

Red, important, like ageneral, he chirped angrily, shaking his black beak.
红色的、威严的,像将军一样,它愤怒地啁啾着,晃动着黑色的嘴。

The higher the sun mounted, the more birds there were, and the moregayly they sang. —
太阳升得越高,鸟儿就越多,唱得越欢。 —

The hollow was full of the music of autumn. —
山谷充满了秋天的乐声。 —

The ceaselessrustle of the bushes in the wind, and the passionate songs of the birds, couldnot drown that soft, sweetly melancholy noise. —
无风的灌木丛的沙沙声,和鸟儿们的悸动歌声,都无法淹没那柔和、甜美而怀旧的声音。 —

I heard in it the farewell songof summer. —
我从中听到夏天告别的歌声。 —

It whispered to me words meant for my ears alone, and of theirown accord they formed themselves into a song. —
它对我轻声细语,那些只为我耳朵听见的词语自发地组成了一首歌。 —

At the same time mymemory unconsciously recalled to my mind pictures of the past. —
与此同时,我的记忆不知不觉地在我的脑海里召回了过去的画面。 —

Fromsomewhere above grandmother cried:
从某处上传来奶奶的呼喊:

  “Where are you?”
“你在哪里?”

She sat on the edge of the pathway. —
她坐在小径边缘。 —

She had spread out a handkerchiefon which she had laid bread, cucumber, turnips, and apples. —
她铺开了一块手帕,在上面摆放了面包、黄瓜、萝卜和苹果。 —

In the midst ofthis display a small, very beautiful cut-glass decanter stood. —
在这一切中间,放着一只小巧、非常漂亮的切割玻璃的瓶子。 —

It had a crystalstopper, the head of Napoleon, and in the goblet was a measure of vodka,distilled from herbs.
它有一个水晶瓶塞,拿破仑的头像,杯子里装着一杯用草药蒸馏的伏特加。

  “How good it is, O Lord!” said grandmother, gratefully.
“哦,主啊,这多好啊!”奶奶感激地说。

  “I have composed a song.”
“我创作了一首歌。”

  “Yes? Well?”
“是吗?好吧?”

  I repeated to her something which I thought was like poetry.
我对她重复了一些我认为像诗的东西。

  “That winter draws near the signs are many ;Farewell to thee, my summer sun!”
“那冬天逐渐临近的迹象日益增多;再见,我的夏日太阳!”

  But she interrupted without hearing me out.
但是她在我说完之前打断了。

  “I know a song like that, only it is a better one.”
我知道一首类似的歌曲,但它更好。

  And she repeated in a singsong voice:
她用一种吟唱的声音重复道:

  “Oi, the summer sun has goneTo dark nights behind the distant woods!
“噢,夏日的阳光已经逝去

  Ekh! I am left behind, a maiden,Alone, without the joys of spring.
遥远的树林背后是黑暗的夜晚!

  Every morn I wander round;I trace the walks I took in May.
哎呀!我被留在后面,一个少女,

  The bare fields unhappy look;There it was I lost my youth.
孤独地,失去了春天的快乐。

  Oif my friends, my kind friends,Take my heart from my white breast,Bury my heart in the snow!”
每个清晨我徘徊四周;

  My conceit as an author suffered not a little, but I was delighted with thissong, and very sorry for the girl.
我沿着五月的小径走。

  Grandmother said::
光秃的田野看起来不幸福;

  “That is how grief sings. That was made up by a young girl, you know.
在那里我失去了我的青春。

She went out walking all the springtime, and before the winter her dear lovehad thrown her over, perhaps for another girl. —
哎呀,我的朋友,我亲爱的朋友, —

She wept because her heartwas sore. You cannot speak well and truly on what you have not experiencedfor yourself. —
从我的白色胸膛中取出我的心, —

You see what a good song she made up.”
将我的心埋在雪中!”

  When she sold a bird for the first time, for forty copecks, she was verysurprised.
作为一位作者,我的自负受到了不少打击,但我对这首歌感到高兴,并且对这个女孩感到很难过。

“Just look at that! I thought it was all nonsense, just a boy’s amusement; —
祖母说:这就是悲伤的歌声。这是一个年轻女孩编的,你知道。她整个春天都在外面散步,到冬天前,她心爱的人把她抛弃了,也许是为了另一个女孩。她因为心痛而哭泣。在你没有亲身经历过的事情上,你不可能说得好而真实。你看她是如何编出一个好歌的。”当她第一次以四十戈比克的价格卖了一只鸟时,她感到非常惊讶。“看看那个!我以为这一切都是胡说八道,只是男孩的消遣。 —

and it has turned out like this!”
这就是结果!

  “You sold it too cheaply.”
“你卖得太便宜了。”

  “Yes; well?”
“是的;嗯?”

On market-days she sold them for a ruble, and was more surprised thanever. —
在集市上,她以一卢布的价格卖出它们,比以往更感到惊讶。 —

What a lot one might earn by just playing about!
玩玩就可以挣到多少钱啊!

“And a woman spends whole days washing clothes or cleaning floors fora quarter of a ruble, and here you just catch them! —
“一个女人整天为了四分之一卢布洗衣服或擦地板,而你就能轻易地捉到它们!” —

But it isn’t a nice thing todo, you know, to keep birds in a cage. —
可是把鸟关在笼子里并不是一件好事情,你知道。 —

Give it up, Olesha!”
放弃吧,奥列沙!

  But bird-catching amused me greatly; I liked it.
不过捉鸟让我欢乐无比;我喜欢这样。

It gave me my independence and inconvenienced no one but the birds. —
这让我获得了自由,也没有给除了鸟之外的任何人带来麻烦。 —

Iprovided myself with good implements. Conversations with old bird-catcherstaught me a lot. —
我配备了好的工具。和老一辈捕鸟人的谈话让我收获颇丰。 —

I went alone nearly three versts to catch birds : —
我几乎一个人独自走了三英里去捉鸟: —

to the forestof Kstocski, on the banks of the Volga, where in the tall fir-trees lived andbred crossbills, and most valuable to collectors, the Apollyon titmouse, along-tailed, white bird of rare beauty.
到科斯科斯基的森林,沿河岸生活和繁殖交嘴雀,以及对收藏者而言价值最高的阿波罗小山雀,一种长尾白色美丽而稀有的鸟。

Sometimes I started in the evening and stayed out all night, wanderingabout on the Kasanski high-road, and sometimes in the autumn rains andthrough deep mud. —
有时候我在傍晚出发,整夜逗留在卡桑斯基高速公路上徘徊,有时候在秋天的雨中和深泥中穿行。 —

On my back I carried an oilskin bag in which were cages,with food to entice the birds. —
我背着一个油布袋,里面装着笼子,引诱鸟儿的食物。 —

In my hand was a solid cane of walnut wood. —
我手中握着一根坚实的核桃木手杖。 —

Itwas cold and terrifying in the autumn darkness, very terrifying. —
在秋天的黑暗中,冷飕飕且可怕,非常可怕。 —

There stoodby the side of the road old lightning-riven birches ; —
路边矗立着一排老旧的被闪电劈裂过的白桦树; —

wet branches brushedacross my head. On the left under the hill, over the black Volga, floated rarelights on the masts of the last boats and barges, looking as if they were in anunfathomable abyss. —
湿漉漉的树枝划过我的头顶。在山坡下的左边,黑色的伏尔加河上漂浮着稀疏的船只和驳船的桅杆上的灯光,看起来就像在一个深不可测的深渊中。 —

The wheels splashed in the water, the sirens shrieked.
车轮在水中溅起水花,汽笛尖叫。

From the hard ground rose the huts of the roadside villages. —
从坚硬的土地上拔地而起的是路旁村庄的茅屋。 —

Angry,hungry dogs ran in circles round my legs. —
愤怒、饥饿的狗围着我的腿转圈。 —

The watchman collided with me,and cried in terror :
看守撞到了我,恐惧地喊道:

  “Who is that? He whom the devils carry does not come out till night, theysay.”
“这是谁?他们说恶魔们扛走的人不会出来直到黑夜。”

I was very frightened lest my tackle should be taken from me, and I usedto take five-copeck pieces with me to give to the watchmen. —
我非常害怕我的工具被夺走,所以我总是带着一些五戈比的硬币给看守。 —

The watchman ofthe village of Thokinoi made friends with me, and was al — ways groaningover me.
图希诺村的看守与我交上了朋友,总是对我唠叨个不停。

  “What, out again? O you fearless, restless night-bird, eh?”
“又出来了?哦,你这无畏又不安的夜鸟,是吗?”

His name was Niphront. He was small and gray, like a saint. —
他的名字叫尼弗龙。他身材矮小,灰头灰脸,就像一个圣人。 —

He drew outfrom his breast a turnip, an apple, a handful of peas, and placed them in myhand, saying:
他从胸膛里掏出一个萝卜、一个苹果、一把豌豆,放到我的手里,说:

  “There you are, friend. There is a little present for you. Eat and enjoy it.”
“给你,朋友。这是个小礼物给你。吃吧,享受吧。”

  And conducting me to the bounds of the village, he said, “Go, and God bewith you!”
领我到村庄边界的那个人说,“走吧,上帝与你同在!”

  I arrived at the forest before dawn, laid my traps, and spreading out mycoat, lay on the edge of the forest and waited for the day to come. It was still.
天还没有亮,我就到达了森林,设置了陷阱,铺开我的外套,躺在森林边缘等待着黎明的到来。一切都是寂静的。

Everything was wrapped in the deep autumn sleep. —
一切都沉浸在深秋的沉睡中。 —

Through the gray mistthe broad meadows under the hill were hardly visible. —
透过灰蒙蒙的雾,山下广阔的草地几乎看不见。 —

They were cut in twoby the Volga, across which they met and separated again, melting away in thefog. In the distance, behind the forest on the same side as the meadows, rosewithout hurry the bright sun. —
它们被伏尔加河切割成两半,河流那边在雾气中显现出来,又隐没其中,消失不见。远处,森林的另一边的草地后,太阳慢慢升起。 —

On the black mane of the forest lights flashedout, and my heart began to stir strangely, poignantly. Swifter and swifter thefog rose from the meadows, growing silver in the rays of the sun, and,following it, the bushes, trees, and hay-ricks rose from the ground. —
森林的漆黑鬃毛上闪烁着光芒,我的心开始奇异而尖锐地激荡起来。雾气越来越快地从草地上升起,在太阳的光芒中变成银色,随之而来的是灌木丛、树和干草堆也从地面上升起。 —

Themeadows were simply flooded with the sun’s rays and flowed on each side,red-gold. —
草地被太阳的光芒淹没,两旁泛着红金色的光。 —

The sun just glanced at the still water by the bank, and it seemed asif the whole river moved toward the sun. —
太阳刚瞥向河岸的寂静水面,整条河似乎都在向太阳靠近。 —

as it rose higher and higher, joyfullyblessed and warmed the denuded, chilled earth, which gave forth the sweetsmell of autumn. —
太阳升得越高,越高,愉悦地祝福和温暖了剥去的、冰冷的大地,大地发出秋天的甜蜜香味。 —

The transparent air made the earth look enormous,boundlessly wide. —
透明的空气让大地看起来庞大无垠。 —

Everything seemed to be floating in the distance, and to beluring one to the farthest ends of the world. —
一切似乎都在远方飘浮,引人向世界的最边远处诱惑。 —

I saw the sunrise ten timesduring those months, and each time a new world was born before my eyes,with a new beauty.
那几个月里,我看了十次日出,每次都是一个全新的世界在我眼前诞生,具备新的美丽。

I loved the sun so much that its very name delighted me. —
我那么喜爱太阳,以至于它的名字就让我欢喜。 —

The sweetsound of it was like a bell hidden in it. —
太阳的美好声音就像隐藏在其中的钟声。 —

I loved to close my eyes and place myface right in the way of its hot rays to catch it in my hands when it came, likea sword, through the chinks of the fence or through the branches.
我喜欢闭上眼睛,把脸直接对准它的炽热光芒,当它像剑一样穿过篱笆缝隙或透过树枝那时,我伸手去捕捉它。

Grandfather had read over and over again “Prince Mikhail Chernigovski andthe Lady Theodora who would not Worship the Sun,” and my idea of thesepeople was that they were black, like Gipsies, harsh, malignant, and alwayshad bad eyes, like poor Mordovans. —
祖父一遍又一遍地阅读着“米哈伊尔·切尔尼戈夫斯基亲王和不崇拜太阳的西奥多拉夫人”,我对这些人的印象是他们是黑色的,像是吉普赛人,严厉的,恶毒的,总是带着糟糕的眼神,就像可怜的莫尔多瓦人。 —

When the sun rose over the meadows Iinvoluntarily smiled with joy.
当太阳升起在草地上,我不由自主地笑了出来。

Over me murmured the forest of firs, shaking off the drops of dew withits green paws. —
松树林在我头上低声喃喃,用它的绿色爪子摇落着露珠。 —

In the shadows and on the fern-leaves glistened, like silverbrocade, the rime of the morning frost. —
阴影中和蕨叶上闪闪发光,像银色的锦缎,是早霜的结晶。 —

The reddening grass was crushed bythe rain ; immovable stalks bowed their heads to the ground: —
红晕草被雨水压倒;不动的茎向地面低下头: —

but when thesun’s rays fell on them a slight stir was noticeable among the herbs, as if,may be, it was the last effort of their lives.
但当阳光照射到它们身上时,在草本间有微弱的骚动,好像是它们生命的最后挣扎。

  The birds awoke. Like gray balls of down, they fell from bough to bough.
鸟儿苏醒了。像灰色羽毛球一样,它们从树枝上掉落下来。

Flaming crossbills pecked with their crooked beaks the knots on the tallestfirs. —
火红的十字嘴啄着最高松树上的节。 —

On the end of the fir-branches sang a white Apollyon titmouse, wavingits long, rudder-like tail, looking askance suspiciously with its black, beadyeyes at the net which I had spread. —
在松树枝末端,一只白色的天使山雀在唱歌,摇动着它的长、舵形的尾巴,用它那黑色、饱满的眼睛斜视着我张开的陷阱。 —

And suddenly the whole forest, which aminute ago had been solemnly pensive, was filled with the sound of athousand bird — voices, with the bustle of living beings, the purest on theearth. —
突然之间,整个曾经庄严肃穆的森林,充满了千百只鸟儿的声音,活生生的生物的喧哗,世间最纯洁的声音。 —

In their image, man, the father of earthly beauty, created for his ownconsolation, elves, cherubim, and seraphim, and all the ranks of angels.
为了安慰自己,人类的美的创造者,形象化地创造了他们自己的形象,像小精灵、基路伯和炽天使以及所有天使的等级。

I was rather sorry to catch the little songsters, and had scruples aboutsqueezing them into cages. —
我有点遗憾地捕捉到这些小歌手,对把它们塞进笼子里感到愧疚。 —

I would rather have merely looked at them; —
我宁愿只是看着它们; —

butthe hunter’s passion and the desire to earn money drove away my pity.
但猎人的激情和赚钱的欲望扫除了我的怜悯心。

The birds mocked me with their artfulness. —
鸟儿用它们的狡猾嘲笑着我。 —

The blue titmouse, after acareful examination of the trap, understood her danger, and, approachingsidewise without running any risk, helped herself to some seed between thesticks of the trap. —
蓝山雀经过仔细观察陷阱后,意识到了自己的危险,并侧身靠近而不冒任何风险,在陷阱的树枝间取了一些种子。 —

Titmouses are very clever, but they are very curious, andthat is their undoing. —
山雀们非常聪明,但他们也非常好奇,这是他们的悲哀所在。 —

The proud bullfinches are stupid, and flocks of themfall into the nets, like overfed citizens into a church. —
自负的灰蓝鸟很愚蠢,成群结队地落入网中,就像过度饱食的市民走进教堂一样。 —

When they findthemselves shut up, they are very astonished, roll their eyes, and peck myfingers with their stout beaks. —
当它们发现自己被关起来时,非常吃惊,翻着眼珠,用粗壮的鸟嘴啄我的手指。 —

The crossbill entered the trap calmly andseriously. —
交叉嘴鸟平静而严肃地走进陷阱。 —

This grasping, ignorant bird, unlike all the others, used to sit for along time before the net, stretching out his long beak, and leaning on histhick tail. —
这种贪婪、无知的鸟与其他鸟不同,常常在网前坐很久,伸出长嘴,靠着粗尾。 —

He can run up the trunk of trees like the woodpecker, alwaysescorting the titmouse. —
它会像啄木鸟一样沿树干爬行,总是护送着山雀。 —

About this smoke-gray singing-bird there issomething unpleasant. No one loves it. —
这种烟灰色的歌唱鸟有些讨厌。没有人喜欢它。 —

And it loves no one. Like the magpie,it likes to steal and hide bright things.
它也不喜欢任何人。和喜鹊一样,它喜欢偷走明亮的东西。

  Before noon I had finished my catch, and went home through the forest.
在中午之前,我已经完成了我的捕捉,穿过森林回家。

If I had gone by the high-road past the villages, the boys and young menwould have taken my cages away from me and broken up my tackle. —
如果我走过村庄的大路,那些男孩和年轻人会把我的笼子抢走并破坏我的装备。我已经有过那样的经历。 —

I hadalready experienced that once.
我傍晚抵达家中,又累又饥饿,但我感觉自己在那一天长大了,学到了新东西,增强了力量。

I arrived home in the evening tired and hungry, but I felt that I hadgrown older, had learned something new, and had gained strength duringthat day. —
这种新力量让我有能力冷静地倾听爷爷的讽刺;看到这一点,爷爷开始说出理智而严肃的话。 —

This new strength gave me the power to listen calmly and withoutresentment to grandfather’s jeers; —
在这一天,我学会了新东西,我变得更加成熟。 —

seeing which, grandfather began to speaksensibly and seriously.
我感到在那一天里变得更老、学到了新东西、增强了力量。

“Give up this useless business! Give it up! No one ever got on throughbirds. —
放弃这个无用的事业吧!放弃吧!没有人靠着鸟儿得到成功。 —

Such a thing has never happened that I know of. —
据我所知,这样的事情从未发生过。 —

Go and find anotherplace, and let your intelligence grow up there. —
去找另外一个地方,让你的智慧在那里发展。 —

Man has not been given life fornothing; he is God’s grain, and he must produce an ear of corn. —
人没有被赋予生命是为了虚度,他是上帝的种子,必须结果出一颗谷粒。 —

Man is like aruble; put out at good interest it produces three rubles. —
人就像一个卢布;以高利息放出,就能生出三个卢布。 —

You think life is easyto live? No, it is not all easy. —
你以为生活容易吗?不,生活并不全是轻松的。 —

The world of men is like a dark night, but everyman must make his own light. —
人间犹如一夜黑暗,但每个人都必须点亮自己的光芒。 —

To every person is given enough for his tenfingers to hold, but every one wants to grasp by handfuls. —
每个人得到的足够他的十根手指抓住,但每个人都想抓得满手。 —

One should bestrong, but if one is weak, one must be artful. —
一个人应该强壮,但如果他软弱,他就必须机敏。 —

He who has little strength isweak, and he is neither in heaven nor in hell. —
力量小的人是软弱的,并且他既不在天堂也不在地狱。 —

Live as if you are with others,but remember that you are alone. —
要像与他人在一起一样生活,但要记住你是孤独的。 —

Whatever happens, never trust any one. Ifyou believe your own eyes, you will measure crookedly. Hold your tongue.
无论发生什么事,都不要相信任何人。如果你相信你自己的眼睛,就会测量错误。闭上你的嘴。

Neither town or house was built by the tongue, but rubles are made by theax. —
城镇和房屋并不是由舌头建造的,而是用斧头打造卢布。 —

You are neither a fool nor a Kalmuck, to whom all riches are like lice onsheep.”
你既不是傻瓜,也不是卡尔穆克人,对他们来说所有的财富都像羊身上的虱子一样。

He could talk like this all the evening, and I knew his words by heart. —
他可以一直这样说到晚上,我对他的话也了如指掌。 —

Thewords pleased me, but I distrusted their meaning. —
这些话使我高兴,但我对它们的意思持怀疑态度。 —

From what he said it wasplain that two forces hindered man from doing as he wished, God and otherpeople.
从他所说的可以明显看出,有两种力量阻碍了人们做自己所希望的事情,上帝和其他人。

Seated at the window, grandmother wound the cotton for her lace. —
祖母坐在窗前,为自己的花边纺织棉纱。 —

Thespindle hummed under her skil — ful hands. —
纺锤在她灵巧的手下嗡鸣作响。 —

She listened for a long time togrand — father’s speech in silence, then she suddenly spoke.
她在听了很长时间祖父的讲话后沉默着,然后突然开口说道。

  “It all depends upon whether the Mother of God smiles upon us.”
“这一切都取决于圣母是否微笑于我们。”

“What’s that?” cried grandfather. “God! —
“什么?” 祖父喊道。“上帝!” —

I have not forgotten about God. Iknow all about God. You old fool, has God sown fools on the earth, eh?”
我没有忘记上帝。我了解上帝的一切。你这个老傻瓜,难道上帝在地球上种下了傻瓜吗?

  In my opinion the happiest people on earth were Cossacks and soldiers.
在我看来,地球上最幸福的人是哥萨克人和士兵。

Their lives were simple and gay. On fine mornings they appeared in thehollow near our house quite early. —
他们的生活简单而快乐。在晴朗的早晨,他们很早就出现在我们房子附近的洼地上。 —

Scattering over the bare fields like whitemushrooms, they began a complicated, interesting game. —
像白色蘑菇一样分散在光秃的田野上,他们开始了一场复杂而有趣的游戏。 —

Agile and strong intheir white blouses, they ran about the field with guns in their hands,disappeared in the hollow, and suddenly, at the sound of the bugle, againspread themselves over the field with shouts of “Hurrah! —
灵活而强壮的他们穿着白色衬衣,手持枪跑在田野上,消失在洼地中,突然,响起号角声,他们再次满场奔跑,高喊着“万岁!” —

” accompanied bythe ominous sounds of the drum. —
伴随着饱含威胁的鼓声。 —

They ran straight at our house with fixedbayonets, and they looked as if they would knock it down and sweep it away,like a hay-rick, in a minute. —
他们手持带有刺刀的枪直冲向我们的房子,看起来好像随时要将它撞倒,一扫而空,就像将一堆干草堆一样。 —

I cried “Hurrah!” too, and ran with them, quitecarried away. —
我也喊着“万岁!”,跟着他们一起跑,完全被带动着。 —

The wicked rattle of the drum aroused in me a passionatedesire to destroy something, to break down the fence, to hit other boys.
邪恶的鼓声激起了我强烈的欲望,想要摧毁某物,打破栅栏,打击其他男孩。

When they were resting, the soldiers used to give me a treat by teaching mehow to signal and by showing me their heavy guns. —
当他们休息时,士兵们常常教我如何发信号,展示他们笨重的枪。 —

Sometimes one of themwould stick his bayonet into my stomach and cry, with a pretense of anger:
有时候其中一个会把他的刺刀插在我的肚子上,并带着一种假装生气的口吻喊道:

  “Stick the cockroach!”
“刺杀这只蟑螂!”

The bayonet gleamed; it looked as if it were alive, and seemed to windabout like a snake about to coil itself up. —
刺刀闪烁着光芒,看起来仿佛是活的,就像蛇一样游曳。 —

It was rather terrifying, but morepleasant.
这有点可怕,但更多的是令人愉悦。

  The Mordovan drummer taught me to strike the drum with my fingers.
莫尔多瓦鼓手教我用手指击打鼓。

  At first he used to take me by the wrist, and, moving them so that he hurtme, would thrust the sticks into my crushed fingers.
一开始,他会拉着我的手腕,用力扭动我的手指,然后把棍棒刺进我受伤的手指中。

“Hit it — one, two-one-tw-o-o! Rum te — tum! —
“打,一、二,一、二——隆隆! —

Beat it — left — softly,right — loudly, rum te —! —
敲击——左——轻轻地,右——大声地,隆隆! —

” he shouted threateningly, opening wide his birdlikeeyes.
”他威胁地喊道,睁大他鸟般的眼睛。

I used to run about the field with the soldiers, almost to the end of thedrill, and after it was finished, I used to escort them across the town to thebarracks, listening to their loud songs, looking into their kind faces, all asnew as five-ruble pieces just coined. —
我曾经和士兵们在田野上奔跑,几乎参加他们的操练直到结束,练完后,我常常陪他们穿过镇上去军营,听着他们高声唱歌,看着他们亲切的脸孔,都像是刚铸造的五卢布硬币一样新。 —

The close-packed mass of happy menpassing up the streets in one united body aroused a feeling of friendliness inme, a desire to throw myself in among them as into a river, to enter intothem as into a forest. —
这群欢乐的男人挤在一起像一个整体沿街而过,激起了我一种友好的感觉,一种想要把自己投入其中如入河水,如入森林的愿望。 —

These men were frightened of nothing; they couldconquer anything; —
这些人什么都不怕;他们可以战胜任何事物; —

they were capable of anything; they could do anythingthey liked; —
他们什么都有能力去做;他们可以为所欲为; —

and they were all simple and good.
而他们都是单纯善良的。

  But one day during the time they were resting a young noncommissionedofficer gave me a fat cigarette.
但有一天在他们休息的时候,一个年轻的准尉给了我一支细长的香烟。

“Smoke this! I would not give them to any one. —
“抽这个!我可不会给别人。 —

In fact I hardly like togive you one, my dear boy, they are so good.”
事实上,我几乎不想给你,亲爱的孩子,因为这些真是太好了。”

I smoked it. He moved away a few steps, and suddenly a red flameblinded me, burning my fingers, my nose, my eyebrows. —
我抽了。他走开几步,突然,一团红火光刺痛了我,烧灼了我的手指、我的鼻子、我的眉毛。 —

A gray, acrid smokemade me splutter and cough. —
一股灰蒙蒙、刺鼻的烟雾让我咳嗽不止。 —

Blinded, terrified, I stamped on the ground,and the soldiers, who had formed a ring around me, laughed loudly andheartily. —
被闪瞎了,被吓坏了,我在地上踩踏,围在我周围的士兵大声、狂笑不已。 —

I ran away home. Whistles and laughter followed me; somethingcracked like a shepherd’s whip. —
我逃离了家。哨声和笑声跟在我身后;有东西发出像牧羊人鞭子一样的声音。 —

My burned fingers hurt me, my face smarted,tears flowed from my eyes; —
我灼伤的手指让我疼痛,我的脸被晒伤,眼泪从眼睛里流出; —

but it was not the pain which oppressed me, onlya heavy, dull amazement. —
但压在我心头的不是疼痛,而是一种沉重、呆滞的惊愕。 —

Why should this amuse these good fellows?
这对这些好伙伴有何趣味?

  When I reached home I climbed up to the attic and sat there a long timebrooding over this inexplicable cruelty which stood so repulsively in my path.
当我回到家时,我爬上阁楼,在那里思索了很长时间,对这种莫名其妙的残酷感到厌恶,它就这样阻碍在我面前。

  I had a peculiarly clear and vivid memory of the little soldier from Sarapuliastanding before me, as large as life, and saying:
我对那位来自萨拉普利的小兵的记忆特别清晰生动,就像亲眼见到他站在我面前说道:

  “Well, do you understand?”
“那么,你明白了吗?”

  Soon I had to go through something still more depressing anddisgusting.
很快,我接着经历了更加令人沮丧和令人作呕的事情。

I had begun to run about in the barracks of the Cossacks, which stoodnear the Pecherski Square. The Cossacks seemed different from the soldiers,not because they rode so skilfully oh horseback and were dressed morebeautifully, but because they spoke in a different way, sang different songs,and danced beautifully. —
我开始在靠近佩切尔斯基广场的哥萨克兵营里到处跑。 —

In the evening, after they had seen to their horses,they used to gather in a ring near the stables, and a little red-haired Cossack,shaking his tufts of hair, sang softly in a high-pitched voice, like a trumpet.
哥萨克人与士兵不同,不仅因为他们骑马技艺娴熟、着装更加漂亮,更因为他们说话方式不同,唱着不同的歌,跳着优美的舞蹈。

  The long-drawn-out, sad song flowed out upon the Don and the blue Dounia.
傍晚,在他们照顾完马匹后,他们会聚集在马厩附近的一个环形区域,一个红发的小个子哥萨克摇着头发丝,用高亢的声音轻轻唱着,就像号角一样。

His eyes were closed, like the eyes of a linnet, which often sings till it fallsdead from the branch to the ground. —
那首持续悠长、哀伤的歌声流淌在顿河和蓝色的顿尼雅上。 —

The collar of his Cossack shirt wasundone. His collar-bone was visible, looking like a copper band. —
他的眼睛闭着,像金丝雀的眼睛,常常唱着直到从树枝掉到地上死去。 —

In fact, hewas altogether metallic, coppery. —
他哥萨克衬衫的领子没有系好。他的锁骨可见,看起来像一根铜箍。 —

Swaying on his thin legs, as if the earthunder him were rocking, spreading out his hands, he seemed sightless, butfull of sound. —
实际上,他全身都是金属般的,铜色的。 —

He, as it were, ceased to be a man, and became a brassinstrument. —
他,仿佛已经不再是一个人,而是变成了一个铜管乐器。 —

Sometimes it seemed to me that he was falling, that he wouldfall on his back to the ground, and die like the linnet, because he put into thesong all his soul and all his strength.
有时候我觉得他仿佛在倒下,仿佛会倒在地上,像金丝雀一样死去,因为他将自己全部的灵魂和力量都注入了歌声里。

With their hands in their pockets or behind their broad backs, hiscomrades stood round in a ring, sternly looking at his brassy face. —
他的同伴们双手插兜或者背后放着,站在他周围,严厉地凝视着他那坚毅的铜色脸庞。 —

Beatingtime with their hands, softly spitting into space, they joined in earnestly,softly, as if they were in the choir in church. —
随着他们用手敲击的节奏,轻轻地向空中吐痰,他们认真而温和地加入进来,就像在教堂的唱诗班一样。 —

All of them, bearded and shaven,looked like icons, stern and set apart from other people. —
无论是有胡须还是光溜溜的,他们看起来都像神像,严肃而与众不同。 —

The song was long,like a long street, and as level, as broad and as wide. —
这首歌很长,像一条漫长的街道,就像街道一样平坦、宽广、辽阔。 —

When I listened to him Iforgot everything else, whether it was day or night upon the earth, whether Iwas an old man or a little boy. —
当我倾听他时,我忘记了一切,无论是白天还是黑夜在世上,无论我是一个老人还是一个小男孩。 —

Everything else was forgotten. The voice of thesinger died away. —
其他一切都被忘记了。歌唱者的声音渐渐消失了。 —

The sighs of the horses were audible as they grieved fortheir native steppes, and gently, but surely, the autumn night crept up fromthe fields. —
马的叹息响彻空气,它们为自己的故土而哀伤,而秋夜悄然从田野上升起。 —

My heart swelled and almost burst with a multitude ofextraordinary feelings, and a great, speechless love for human creatures andthe earth.
我的心涨满了一种多样的非凡感受,一种无法言表的对人类和地球的巨大、无言的爱。

The little copper-colored Cossack seemed to me to be no man, butsomething much more significant — a legendary being, better and on ahigher plane than ordinary people. —
那个小个头铜色的哥萨克人在我眼里不再是一个普通人,而是更为重要的传奇人物,比普通人更好,站在更高的层次上。 —

I could not talk to him. When he askedme a question I smiled blissfully and remained shyly silent. —
我无法与他交谈。当他问我问题时,我只是幸福地微笑,害羞地保持沉默。 —

I was ready tofollow him anywhere, silently and humbly, like a dog. —
我愿意默默地、谦卑地跟随他,就像一条狗一样。 —

All I wanted was to seehim often, and to hear him sing.
我只想经常见到他,听他唱歌。