THERE was hardly any work in the market-square during the winter, andinstead I had in numerable trivial duties to perform in the house. —
冬天市场广场几乎没有什么工作,我反而在家里有无数琐事要处理。 —

Theyswallowed up the whole day, but the evenings were left free. —
这些琐事占去了一整天,但是留下了空闲的晚上。 —

Once more Iread to the household novels which were unpalatable to me, from the “Neva”
我又一次向家人朗读我觉得不入味的小说,来自《涅瓦报》和《莫斯科公报》;但晚上我会读一些好书,尝试写诗。

  and the “Moscow Gazette”; but at night I occupied myself by reading goodbooks and by attempts at writing poetry.
有一天,女人们出门去做晚祷,我的主人因生病留在家里,他问我:

  One day when the women had gone out to vespers and my master waskept at home through indisposition, he asked me :
“Victor取笑你,因为他说你写诗,Pyeshkov。是真的吗?好吧,念给我听吧!”

  “Victor is making fun of you because he says you write poetry, Pyeshkov.
这是真的,先生。这是我在阅读好书和试图写诗时的休闲活动之一。

  Is that true? Well then, read it to me!”
我把一首短诗念给他听。

It would have been awkward to refuse, and I read several of my poeticalcompositions. —
有点尴尬拒绝,我读了几篇自己的诗作。 —

These evidently did not please him, but he said :
显然他并不喜欢,但他说:

  “Stick to it! Stick to it! You may become a Pushkin; have you readPushkin?”
“坚持下去!坚持下去!也许你会成为一个普希金;你读过普希金吗?”

  “Do the goblins have funeral rites ?
“地精们有丧葬仪式吗?

  Are the witches given in marriage ?”
巫婆们结婚吗?”

In his time people still believed in goblins, but he did not believe in themhimself. —
在他那个时代,人们还相信地精,但他自己却不相信。 —

Of course he was just joking.
当然只是在开玩笑。

“Ye-es, brother,” he drawled thoughtfully, “You ought to have beentaught, but now it is too late. —
“嗯,兄弟,你本该受过教育的,但现在已经太晚了。 —

The devil knows what will become of you! —
鬼知道你会变成什么样! —

Ishould hide that note-book of yours more carefully, for if the women get holdof it, they will laugh at you. —
我会更小心地隐藏你的笔记本,因为如果女人们拿到它,她们会嘲笑你。 —

Women, brother, love to touch one on a weakspot.”
兄弟,女人喜欢戳到痛处。”

For some time past my master had been quiet and thoughtful; —
最近他变得安静而沉思; —

he had atrick of looking about him cautiously, and the sound of the bell startled him.
他有一种谨慎地四处观望的习惯,铃声会让他吓一跳。

Some — times he would give way to a painful irritability about trifles, wouldscold us all, and rush out of the house, returning drunk late at night. —
有时他对小事发脾气,会责骂我们所有人,并在深夜独自喝醉回来。 —

One feltthat something had come into his life which was known only to himself,which had lacerated his heart; —
我们感觉到他的生活中进入了一些只有他自己知道的东西,这些东西刺痛了他的心。 —

and that he was living not sensibly, orwillingly, but simply by force of habit.
他生活得并不明智,也不是自愿的,而只是出于习惯的强迫。

On Sundays from dinner-time till nine o’clock I was free to go out andabout, and the evenings I spent at a tavern in Yamski Street. —
在星期天的晚饭后直到晚上九点,我可以自由行动,晚上我在亚木斯基街的一家酒馆度过。 —

The host, astout and always perspiring man, was passionately fond of singing, and thechoristers of most of the churches knew this, and used to frequent his house.
男主人是一个胖乎乎,总是满头大汗的人,非常热衷于唱歌,大多数教堂的唱诗班都知道这一点,经常光顾他的店。

He treated them with vodka, beer, or tea, for their songs. —
他用伏特加、啤酒或茶款待他们,以换取他们的歌唱。 —

The choristers werea drunken and uninteresting set of people; —
唱诗班成员是一群酗酒又无趣的人; —

they sang unwillingly, only for thesake of the hospitality, and almost always it was church music. —
他们只是出于接受好客的缘故,不情愿地唱歌,而且几乎总是宗教音乐。 —

As certain ofthe pious drunkards did not consider that the tavern was the place for them,the host used to invite them to his private room, and I could only hear thesinging through the door. —
由于某些虔诚的醉汉认为酒馆不是适合他们的地方,店主常请他们到他的私人房间,我只能透过门听到他们的歌声。 —

But frequently peasants from the villages, andartisans came. —
但经常会有来自村庄和手工艺人的农民来。 —

The tavern-keeper himself used to go about the towninquiring for singers, asking the peasants who came in on market-days, andinviting them to his house.
酒馆老板经常在镇上四处寻找歌手,询问来集市的农民,并邀请他们到他家来。

The singer was always given a chair close to the bar, his back to a cask ofvodka; —
歌手总是被安排在靠近吧台的椅子上,背靠着一桶伏特加; —

his head was outlined against the bottom of the cask as if it were in around frame.
他的头轮廓映在伏特加桶的底部,仿佛被一个圆形框架围绕着。

The best singer of all — and they were always particularly good singers —was the small, lean harness — maker, Kleshtchkov, who looked as if he hadbeen squeezed, and had tufts of red hair on his head. —
所有中的最好的歌手——而他们总是特别好——是小而瘦的马具制造商克莱什查科夫,看起来像被挤压过,头上长着红头发。 —

His little nose gleamedlike that of a corpse; his. —
他那小小的鼻子闪闪发光,就像一具尸体;他那温和、梦幻的眼睛毫无动容。 —

benign, dreamy eyes were immovable.
有时他会闭上眼睛,把头部靠在伏特加桶的底部,胸部凸显,用他柔和而占上风的男高音声音唱出那变化快速的:

  Sometimes he closed his eyes, leaned the back of his head against thebottom of the cask, protruding his chest, and in his soft but all-conqueringtenor voice sang the quick moving:
有时他会闭上眼睛,把头部靠在伏特加桶的底部,胸部凸显,用他柔和但威力惊人的男高音声音唱出那变化快速的:

  “Ekh! how the fog has fallen upon the clean fields already!
呃!大雾已经落在干净的田野上了!

  And has hidden the distant roads!”
把遥远的道路都藏起来了!

  Here he would stop, and resting his back against the bar, bendingbackwards, went on, with his face raised toward the ceiling:
他停下来,倚着吧台向后倾斜,脸朝天花板:

  “Ekh! where — where am I going?
呃!我要去哪里?

  Where shall I find the broad ro-oad?”
哪里才能找到宽阔的道路?

His voice was small like himself, but it was unwearied ; —
他的声音虽小,却不知疲倦; —

he permeated thedark, dull room of the tav — ern with silvery chords, melancholy words. —
他用银色和谐的音符、忧郁的词语充满了阴暗、沉闷的酒馆里。 —

Hisgroans and cries conquered every one ; —
他的呻吟和哭声让所有人着迷; —

even the drunken ones becameamazedly surprised, gazing down in si-lence at the tables in front of them. —
就连醉酒的人都惊讶地出神地凝视着眼前的桌子。 —

Asfor me, my heart was torn, and overflowed with those mighty feel-ings whichgood music always arouses as it miracu — lously touches the very depths ofthe soul.
至于我,我的心被撕裂,充满了那种强大的感情,好音乐总是能激发出它,奇迹般触及灵魂深处。

It was as quiet in the tavern as in a church, and the singer seemed like agood priest, who did not preach, but with all his soul, and honestly, prayedfor the whole human family, thinking aloud, as it were, of all the grievouscalamities which beset human life. —
酒馆里和教堂一样安静,歌手像一位善良的神父,没有讲道,而是全心全意地为整个人类祈祷,似乎在大声思考困扰人类生活的一切悲惨厄运。 —

Bearded men gazed upon him; childlikeeyes blinked in fierce, wild faces ; —
络莽的脸上须撅,孩子一般的眼睛在狂野凶猛的面庞中眨巴; —

at moments some one sighed, and thisseemed to emphasize the triumphant power of the music. —
偶尔有人叹息,似乎强调了音乐的胜利力量。 —

At such times italways seemed to me that the lives led by most people were unreal andmeaningless, and that the reality of life lay here.
在那时,我总觉得大部分人的生活是虚幻而毫无意义的,而生活的真实在这里。

In the corner sat the fat-faced old-clothes dealer, Luissukha, a repulsivefemale, a shameless, loose woman. —
角落里坐着那位胖脸庞的旧物交易商卢伊莎,一个可耻的女人,一个无耻放荡的女人。 —

She hid her head on her fat shoulder andwept, furtively wiping the tears from her bold eyes. —
她把头藏在她肥胖的肩膀上,偷偷地擦去从她大胆的眼睛里流下的眼泪。 —

Not far from her sat thegloomy chorister, Mitropolski, a hirsute young fellow who looked like adegraded deacon, with great eyes set in his drunken face. —
坐在她附近的是那位阴沉的唱诗班歌手米特罗波尔斯基,一个长满毛发的年轻家伙,看起来像是一个堕落的执事,他那醉醺醺的脸上有着大眼睛。 —

He gazed into theglass of vodka placed before him, took it up, and raised it to his mouth, andthen set it down again on the table, carefully and noiselessly. —
他凝视着摆在他面前的伏特加杯,拿起它,把它送到嘴边,然后又小心翼翼地放回桌子上,毫无声息。 —

For somereason he could not drink.
由于某种原因,他喝不下去。

  And all the people in the tavern seemed to be glued to their places, as ifthey were listening to something long forgotten, but once dear and near tothem.
酒馆里的所有人似乎都被固定在他们的位置上,好像在聆听着一些早已被遗忘的,但曾经亲切而亲近的东西。

  When Kleshtchkov, having finished his song, modestly sank down in thechair, the tavern-keeper, giving him a glass of wine, would say with a smile ofsatisfaction :
克列什奇科夫唱完歌后,谦虚地坐在椅子上,酒馆老板给他倒了一杯酒,满意地笑着说:

“Well, that was very good, sure! Although you can hardly be said to sing,so much as to recite! —
“哦,那真是非常好,当然!虽然你不能说你在唱歌,而更像是在诵读! —

However, you are a master of it, whatever they say! —
无论别人怎么说,无论怎样,你都是其中的大师! —

Noone could say otherwise.”
没有人可以说其他。”

  Kleshtchkov, drinking his vodka without haste, coughed carefully andsaid quietly:
克列什奇科夫喝着伏特加,不慌不忙地咳嗽,轻声说道:

  “Any one can sing if he has a voice, but to show what kind of soul thesong contains is only given to me.”
“只要有声音,任何人都可以唱歌,但只有我能展现歌曲所包含的灵魂。”

  “Well, you needn’t boast, anyhow.”
“嗯,你无需自夸。”

  “He who has nothing to boast about, does not boast,” said the singer asquietly but more firmly than before.
“没有东西可夸耀的人并不会自夸,”那位歌手轻声地说,比之前更加坚定。

  “You are conceited, Kleshtchkov!” exclaimed the host, annoyed.
“你真自负,克列什奇科夫!”生气的主人叫道。

  “One can’t be more conceited than one’s conscience allows.”
“一个人不能比他的良心允许的更自负。”

  And from the corner the gloomy Mitropolski roared :
角落里,阴沉的米特罗波尔斯基怒吼道:

  “What do you know about the singing of this fallen angel, you worms,you dirt!”
“你们这些卑微的虫子,你们这些肮脏的家伙,你们知道这堕落天使的歌唱有多少吗!”

He always opposed every one, argued with every one, broughtaccusations against every one; —
他总是反对每个人,与每个人争论,指责每个人; —

and almost every Sunday he was cruellypunished for this by one of the singers, or whoever else had a mind for thebusiness.
几乎每个星期天,他都会因为这个而被当中的一个歌手,或者其他想要处理这件事的人残酷地惩罚。

The tavern-keeper loved Kleshtchkov’s singing, but he could not endurethe singer. —
酒馆老板喜欢克莱什楚科夫的歌声,但他受不了这位歌手。 —

He used to complain about him, and obviously sought occasionsto humiliate him and to make him ridiculous. —
他经常抱怨他,显然寻找机会羞辱他,使他滑稽可笑。 —

This fact was known to thefrequenters of the tavern and to Kleshtchkov himself.
这个事实为酒馆的常客和克莱什楚科夫自己所知。

“He is a good singer, but he is proud; —
“他是一位好歌手,但他很骄傲; —

he wants taking down,” he said,and several guests agreed with him.
他需要受教训,”他说,好几位客人赞同他。

  “That’s true; he’s a conceited fellow!”
“那是真的;他是一个自负的家伙!”

“What’s he got to be conceited about? His voice? That comes from God; —
“他有什么好自负的?他的声音?那是上帝赋予的; —

he has nothing to do with it! And he hasn’t a very powerful voice, has he?”
他与此无关!他的声音并不那么有力,对吧?”

  the tavern-keeper persisted.
酒馆老板坚持说。

  His audience agreed with him.
他的听众赞同他。

  “True, it is not so much his voice as his intelligence.”
“确实,不仅仅是他的声音,还有他的智慧。”

  One day after the singer had refreshed himself and gone away, thetavern-keeper tried to persuade Luissukha.
有一天,歌手休息过后离开了,酒馆老板试图说服卢伊苏卡。

“Why don’t you amuse yourself with Kleshtchkov for a bit, MarieEvdokimova; —
“为什么不和克莱什科夫一起玩一下,玛丽·耶夫多基莫娃; —

you’d shake him up, wouldn’t you? What would you want forit?”
你会把他搞定的,是吧?你要什么报酬呢?”

  “If I were younger,” she said with a laugh.
“如果我年轻些的话,”她笑着说。

  The tavern-keeper cried loudly and warmly:
酒馆老板大声热情地喊道:

“What can the young ones do? But you — you will get hold of him! —
“年轻人能做什么呢?但是你——你会制服他的! —

Weshall see him dancing round you! When he is bowed down by grief he will beable to sing, won’t he? —
我们会看到他绕着你跳舞!当他被悲伤压倒时,他会唱歌,对吧? —

Take him in hand, Evdokimova, and do me a favor,will you?”
带着他吧,Evodikimova,劳驾一下,好吗?

  But she would not do it. Large and fat, she lowered her eyes and playedwith the fringe of the hand — kerchief which covered her bosom, as she saidin a monotonous, lazy drawl:
但她不愿意。身材高大而肥胖,她垂下眼睛,用懒散的口音玩弄着覆盖胸口的围巾,说道:

“It’s a young person that is needed here. —
“这里需要一个年轻人。 —

If I were younger, well, I wouldnot think twice about it.”
如果我年轻一点,好吧,我不会犹豫。”

  Almost every night the tavern-keeper tried to make Kleshtchkov drunk,but the latter, after two or three songs and a glassful after each, wouldcarefully wrap up his throat with a knitted scarf, draw his cap well over histufted head, and depart.
几乎每晚店主都试图让克莱什奇科夫喝醉,但后者在唱两三首歌并每次喝一杯之后,就会小心地用一条针织围巾裹住喉咙,把帽子戴好压在头顶的毛毛上,然后离开。

The tavern-keeper often tried to find a rival for Kleshtchkov. —
店主经常试图为克莱什奇科夫找一个对手。 —

Theharness-maker would sing a song and then the host, after praising him,would say :
皮具工会唱一首歌,然后店主在夸奖他之后会说:

  “Here is another singer. Come along now, show what you can do!”
“这儿还有个歌手。快来,展示一下你的才华!”

  Sometimes the singer had a good voice, but I do not remember anoccasion on which any of Kleshtchkov’s rivals sang so simply and soulfully asthat little conceited harness-maker.
有时候歌手声音不错,但我不记得有任何一位克莱什奇科夫的对手唱得如此简单和富有灵魂的。

“M— yes,” said the tavern-keeper, not without regret, “it’s good,certainly! —
“嗯,”店主说,不无遗憾地说,“这是好的,当然! —

The chief thing is that it is a voice, but there’s no soul in it.”
最重要的是这是一个声音,但里面没有灵魂。”

  The guests teased him:
客人们取笑他:

  “No, you can’t better the harness-maker, you see!”
“不,你比不上皮具工,你看!”

  And Kleshtchkov, looking at them all from under his red, tuftedeyebrows, said to the tavern-keeper calmly and politely:
而克莱什奇科夫则从他红色的毛毛下面看着他们,平静而礼貌地对店主说:

“You waste your time. You will never find a singer with my gifts to set upin opposition to me; —
“你浪费时间。你永远也找不到一个有我天赋的歌手与我对立;” —

my gift is from God.”
我的礼物是来自上帝的。

  “We are all from God!”
我们都来自上帝!

  “You may ruin yourself by the drink you give, but you’ll never find one.”
你可能会因为你提供的酒而毁了自己,但你永远找不到一个。

  The tavern-keeper turned purple and muttered: “How do we know? Howdo we know?”
酒馆老板脸涨得发紫,嘀咕道:“我们怎么知道?我们怎么知道?”

  But Kleshtchkov pointed out to him firmly :
但克勒什查科夫坚定地向他指出:

  “Again I tell you this is singing, not a cock-fight.”
“我再告诉你,这是在唱歌,不是斗鸡。”

  “I know that! Why do you keep harping on it?”
“我知道啦!你为什么老是在强调这一点?”

“I am not harping on it; I am simply pointing out something to you. —
“我并不是在强调,我只是在向你指出一些事情。” —

If asong is nothing but a diversion, it comes from the devil!”
如果一首歌仅仅是一种消遣,那它就是来自魔鬼!”

  “All right! You ‘d better sing again.”
“好吧!你最好再唱一遍。”

  “I can always sing, even in my sleep,” agreed Kleshtchkov, and carefullyclearing his throat he began to sing.
“我随时都能唱,甚至在睡梦中,”克勒什查科夫同意了,然后小心翼翼地清了清嗓子,开始唱歌。

And all nonsense, trashy talk, and ambitions vanished into smoke as by amiracle; —
所有的废话、垃圾说法和野心都像奇迹般消失如烟; —

the refreshing streams of a different life, reflective, pure, full of loveand sadness, flowed over us all.
一种清澈、纯净、充满爱和悲伤的不同生活的清泉,流淌在我们所有人身上。

  I envied that man, envied intensely his talent and his power over people.
我羡慕那个男人,非常羡慕他的才华和他对人的影响力。

The way he took advantage of this power was so wonderful! —
他利用这种影响力的方式是如此美妙! —

I wanted to makethe acquaintance of the harness-maker, to hold a long conversation withhim, but I could not summon up courage to go to him.
我想结识这位马具制造商,与他进行一次长谈,但我没有勇气去找他。

Kleshtchkov had such a strange way of looking at everybody with his paleeyes, as if he could not see any one in front of him. —
克莱什奇科夫用他苍白的眼睛奇怪地看着每个人,仿佛他看不见任何人站在他面前。 —

But there was somethingabout him which offended me and prevented me from liking him; —
但有一些事情使我感到冒犯,让我无法喜欢他; —

and Iwanted to like him for himself, not only when he was singing. —
我想喜欢他的人,不仅仅是在他唱歌时。 —

It wasunpleasant to see him pull his cap over his head, like an old man, and swathehis neck, just for show, in that red, knitted scarf of which he said:
看到他把帽子拉到头上,像个老人一样,把那条红色编织的围巾裹在脖子上,仅仅是为了炫耀,让人感到不愉快,他说过:

  “My little one knitted this; my only little girl.”
“我的小女儿编织了这个;我的唯一的小女儿。”

When he was not singing he pouted importantly, rubbed his dead, frozennose with his fingers, and answered questions in monosyllables, andunwillingly. —
当他不唱歌时,他显得很重要,重要地噘着嘴,用手指揉着他僵硬冰冷的鼻子,回答问题时只说一个字母,而且不情愿。 —

When I approached him and asked him something, he looked atme and said:
我走近他问他些事情时,他看着我说:

  “Go away, lad!”
“走开,小伙子!”

I much preferred the chorister, Mitropolski. —
我更喜欢唱诗班的米特罗波尔斯基。 —

When he appeared in thetavern, he would walk into his corner with the gait of a man carrying a heavyload, move a chair away with the toe of his boot, and sit down with hiselbows on the table, resting his large shaggy head on his hands. —
当他出现在酒馆里时,他走路的样子像是背着沉重负担的人,用靴子的脚趾拨动椅子,用手肘撑在桌子上,把他浓密蓬松的头放在双手上。 —

After he haddrunk two or three glasses in silence, he would utter a resounding cry. —
喝了两三杯沉默之后,他会发出响亮的呼喊。 —

Everyone would start and look towards him, but with his chin in his hands hegazed at them defiantly, his mane of unbrushed hair wildly surrounding hispuffy, sallow face.
大家都会吓一跳,向他看去,但他用手托着下巴挑衅地盯着他们,他那一头未梳理的头发狂野地围绕着浮肿黄里透红的脸。

  “What are you looking af? What do you see?” he would ask with suddenpassion.
“你们在看什么?你们看到什么?”他突然充满激情地问道。

  Sometimes they replied:
有时他们会回答:

  “We are looking at a werwolf.”
“我们在看一只狼人。”

There were evenings on which he drank in silence, and in silencedeparted, heavily dragging his feet. —
有些晚上他默默地饮酒,无言地离去,沉重地拖着脚步。 —

Several times I heard him denouncepeople, playing the prophet:
我几次听到他谴责人们,像个先知一样:

“I am the incorruptible servant of my God, and I denounce you. BeholdIsaiah! —
“我是我神的忠诚仆人,我谴责你们。看啊,以赛亚! —

Woe to the town of Ariel. Come, ye wicked, and ye rogues, and allkinds of dark monstrosities living in the mire of your own base desires! —
哀哉亚力城,愚昧的人啊,无赖啊,以及各种栖息在自身卑贱欲望泥沼中的黑暗怪物们啊! —

Woeto the ships of this world, for they carry lewd people on their sinful way. —
哀哉这个世界上的船只,因为它们载着淫乱之徒行径不轨。 —

Iknow you, drunkards, gluttons, dregs of this world; there is no timeappointed for you. —
我认识你们,酗酒者,饕餮者,这个世界的渣滓;你们没有任何预定的时间。 —

Accursed ones, the very earth refuses to receive you intoher womb!”
受咒诅的人们,大地甚至都不愿接纳你们进入她的怀抱!”

His voice resounded so that the window-panes shook, which delightedhis audience. —
他的声音如此洪亮,窗玻璃都会震动,这让听众很高兴。 —

They praised the prophet :
他们称赞这位先知:

  “He barks finely, the shaggy cur!”
“他叫得真好,这只毛茸茸的狗!”

It was easy to become acquainted with him; —
跟他相处很容易; —

it cost no more than to offerhim hospitality; —
只需款待他就行; —

he required a decanter of vodka and a portion of ox liver.
他需要一瓶伏特加和一份牛肝。

  When I asked him to tell me what kind of books one ought to read, heanswered me with stubborn ferocity by another question:
当我问他应该读什么样的书时,他顽固地用另一个问题回答我:

  “Why read at all?”
“为什么要读呢?”

  But mollified by my confusion, he added in ringing tones :
但是被我的困惑所安抚,他以铿锵的语调补充道:

  “Have you read Ecclesiastes ?”
“你读过传道书吗?”

  “Yes.”
“读过。”

“Read Ecclesiastes. You need nothing more. —
“读传道书吧。你不需要更多。 —

There is all the wisdom ofthe world, only there are sheep who do not understand it; —
这里有世界上所有的智慧,只是有些不懂的羊; —

that is to say, noone understands it. Can you sing at all?”
也就是说,没有人能理解。你会唱歌吗?”

  “No.”
“不会。”

  “Why? You ought to sing. It is the most ridiculous way of passing time.”
“为什么?你应该唱歌。这是最荒谬的消磨时间的方式。”

  Some one asked him from an adjacent table:
有人从隔壁桌问道:

  “But you sing yourself?”
“但你自己会唱歌吗?”

  “Yes; but I am a vagrant. Well?”
“会;但我是个流浪汉。怎么了?”

  “Nothing.”
“没什么。”

  “That is nothing new. Every one knows that there is nothing in thatblockhead of yours, and there never will be anything. Amen!”
“这不是什么新鲜事。每个人都知道你脑袋里一无所有,也永远不会有任何东西。阿门!”

In this tone he was in the habit of speaking to me and to every one else,although after the second or third time of my treating him, he began to bemore gentle with me. —
他常常用这种语气对我和其他人说话,尽管在第二次或第三次我宴请他之后,他开始对我更加温和。 —

One day he actually said with a shade of surprise:
有一天,他竟带着一丝惊讶说道:

“I look at you and I cannot make out what you are, who are you, or whyyou are! —
“我看着你,却不知道你是谁,你究竟是什么,或者为什么存在! —

But whatever you are, may the devil take you!”
不管你是谁,愿魔鬼带走你!”

He behaved in an incomprehensible manner to Kleshtchkov. —
他对克列什夫科夫的举止让人难以理解。 —

He listenedto him with manifest enjoyment sometimes even with a benign smile, but hewould not make closer acquaintance with him, and spoke about him coarselyand contemptuously.
他听他说话时有明显的享受,有时甚至露出和善的微笑,但他不愿与他更深入地交往,且草率而蔑视地谈论他。

  “That barber’s block! He knows how to breathe, he understands what tosing about, but for the rest, he is an ass.”
“那个理发师的木头人!他知道如何呼吸,明白怎样歌唱,但其他方面,他就是个蠢货。”

  “Whyr’
“为何?”

  “Like all his kind.”
“跟他们这类人一样。”

I should have liked to talk with him when he was sober, but when soberhe only bellowed, and looked upon all the world with misty, dull eyes. —
我本想在他清醒时跟他聊天,但他清醒时只会咆哮,并用迷离、无神的眼神看待整个世界。 —

Ilearned from some one that this permanently inebriated man had studied inthe Kazan Academy, and might have become a prelate. —
我从某人那里得知这个一直醉醺醺的人在喀山学院学习过,还有可能成为一位主教。 —

I did not believe this.
我不相信这一点。

But one day when I was telling him about myself, I recalled the name of thebishop, Chrisanph. —
但有一天当我向他讲述我的事情时,我突然想起主教克里赛安夫的名字。 —

He tossed his head and said:
他摇摇头说:

“Chrisanph? I know him. He was my tutor and benefactor. At Kazan, inthe academy, I remember! —
“克里赛安夫?我认识他。他曾是我的导师和恩人。在喀山,学院里,我记得! —

Chrisanph means ‘golden flower.’ Yes, that was atrue saying of Pavm Beruind. —
克里赛安夫意思是‘金色的花朵’。是的,巴文·贝兰德说的没错。 —

Yes, he was a flower of gold, Chrisanph!”
是的,他就是一朵金色的花朵,克里赛安夫!”

  “And who is Pavm Beruind?” I added, but Mitropolski replied shortly:
“帕夫姆·贝鲁因德是谁?”我追问道,但米特罗波尔斯基简短地回答说:

  “That is none of your business.”
“这不关你的事。”

When I reached home I wrote in my note-book, “I must read the worksof Pavm Beruind. —
当我回到家后,我在笔记本上写道:“我必须阅读帕夫姆·贝鲁因德的作品。” —

” I felt, somehow, that I should find therein the answers tomany questions which perplexed me.
我不知怎么地感到,我会在他的作品中找到许多困扰我的问题的答案。

The singer was very fond of using names which were unknown to me,and curiously coined words. —
歌手非常喜欢使用我不熟悉的名字,和创造出奇怪的词语。 —

This irritated me greatly.
这让我感到非常恼火。

  “Life is not aniso?” he said.
“生活不是‘安有所利’吗?”他说。

  “What is aniso?” I asked.
“什么是‘安有所利’?”我问。

  “Something advantageous to you,” he answered, and my perplexityamused him.
“对你有利的东西。”他回答道,我的困惑让他感到好笑。

These little sayings, and the fact that he had studied in the academy, ledme to think that he knew a great deal, and I was offended with him for notspeaking of his knowledge, or if he did allude to it, being so unintelligible. —
这些小说法,以及他曾在学院学习的事实,让我认为他知道很多,我为他不谈论自己的知识感到生气,或者如果他确实提到了,却是如此费解。 —

Orwas it that I had no right to ask him,? However, he left an impression on mymind. —
或者说,我没有权利问他吗?然而,他在我心中留下了印象。 —

I liked the drunken boldness of his denunciations, which weremodelled on those of the prophet Isaias.
我喜欢他那种模仿先知以赛亚风格的醉酒后的大胆指责。

“Oh, unclean and vile ones of earth! —
“哦,地球上的污秽肮脏之徒! —

” he roared, “the worst among youare famous, and the best are persecuted. —
“他怒吼道,“最坏的人中有名声,而最好的人却受到迫害。 —

The day of judgment draws nigh.
审判的日子已经临近。

  You will repent then, but it will be too late, too late!”
你会后悔的,但那时已经太迟,太迟了!

As I listened to his roar, I remembered “Good Business,” the laundressNatalia, ruined so hideously and easily. —
当我听着他的咆哮,回忆起“好好的事业”,那位洗衣女工娜塔莉亚,被毁得如此丑陋而轻易。 —

Queen Margot, wrapped in a cloud ofdirty scandal. —
玛戈女王,被肮脏的丑闻包裹着。 —

I already had some memories!
我已经有一些记忆了!

  My brief acquaintance with this man finished curiously.
我与这个人的短暂相识以奇特的方式结束了。

I met him in the spring, in the fields near the camp. —
我在春天遇见了他,在营地附近的田野里。 —

He was walking likea camel, moving his head from side to side, solitary, bloated-looking.
他像骆驼一样走着,摇摇晃晃,孤独,看起来膨胀。

“Going for a walk?” he asked hoarsely. “Let us go together. —
“出去散步?”他嘶哑地问道。“我们一起走吧。我也在散步。我病了。兄弟;是的。” —

I also amtaking a walk. I am ill. Brother; yes.”
我们走了一段路,没有说话,突然我们看到一个人被困在一个帐篷下挖的坑里。

We walked some yards without speaking, when suddenly we saw a manin a pit which had been made under a tent. —
他坐在坑的底部,靠在一侧,肩膀靠在壕沟的一侧。 —

He was sitting in the bottom ofthe pit, leaning on one side, his shoulder resting against the side of thetrench. —
他的外套被向上拉到耳朵上方一侧,好像他试图脱掉它却没有成功。 —

His coat was drawn up on one side above his ear, as if he had beentrying to take it off and had not succeeded.
“喝醉了,”歌手断定,停了下来。

  “Drunk,” decided the singer, coming to a standstill.
但在男子腋下的嫩草上,一把大手枪躺着,离他不远处有一顶帽子,旁边站着一瓶伏特加,只喝了一点点。

But on the young grass under the man’s arm lay a large revolver, not farfrom him lay a cap, and beside it stood a bottle of vodka, hardly begun. —
空瓶子的瓶颈被埋在长长的草丛中。 —

Itsempty neck was buried in the long grass. —
已经太迟了。 —

The face of the man was hidden byhis overcoat, as if he were ashamed.
这个男人的脸被他的大衣遮住,好像他感到羞愧一样。

  For a moment we stood in silence. Then Mitropolski, planting his feetwide apart, said:
我们默默地站了一会儿。米特罗波尔斯基站得稳稳的,双脚分得很开,说道:

  “He has shot himself.”
“他开枪自杀了。”

Then I understood that the man was not drunk, but dead, but it cameupon me so suddenly that I could not believe it. —
然后我明白这个人并不是醉酒,而是死了,但这个事实来得太突然,让我无法相信。 —

I remember that I feltneither fear nor pity as I looked at that large, smooth skull, visible above theovercoat, and on that livid ear. —
我记得我看着那个宽大而平滑的头颅,从大衣上露出来,看着那张苍白的耳朵时,既没有恐惧也没有怜悯之情。 —

I could not believe that a man would killhimself on such a pleasant spring day.
我不敢相信一个人会在这样一个愉快的春日自杀。

  The singer rubbed his unshaven cheeks with his hand, as if he were cold,and said hoarsely :
歌手用手摩擦着他没剃的脸颊,声音嘶哑地说:

  “He is an oldish man. Perhaps his wife has left him, or he has made offwith money not belonging to him.”
“他是个年纪大的人。也许他的妻子离开了他,或者他拿了不属于自己的钱逃走了。”

He sent me into the town to fetch the police, and himself sat down on theedge of the pit, letting his feet hang over, wrapping his worn overcoat closelyround him. —
他让我去镇上叫警察,自己坐在坑边,脚悬在上面,把破旧的大衣紧裹在身上。 —

Having informed the police of the suicide, I ran back quickly, butin the meantime the chor — ister had drunk the dead man’s vodka, and cameto meet me, waving the empty bottle.
在告诉警察自杀的事情后,我迅速返回,但与此同时,合唱团的成员已经喝掉死者的伏特加,迎接我时,挥舞着空瓶。

  “This is what ruined him,” he cried, and furiously dashing the bottle tothe ground, smashed it to atoms.
“就是这个毁了他。”他大声说着,愤怒地把酒瓶摔在地上,打得粉碎。

The town constable had followed me. —
镇上的巡警跟在我后面。 —

He looked into the pit, took off hishat, and crossing himself indecisively, asked the singer :
他看了看坑,摘下帽子,犹豫地做了一个十字记号,询问道:

  “Who may you be?”
“你是谁?”

  “That is not your business.”
“这不关你的事。”

  The policeman reflected, and then asked more politely:
警察若有所思,然后更礼貌地问道:

  “What account do you give of yourself, then? Here is a dead man, andhere are you, drunk!”
“那么,你对自己有什么解释?这里是一具尸体,而你却醉醺醺的。”

“I have been drunk for twenty years! —
“我已经喝醉了二十年!” —

” said the singer proudly, strikinghis chest with the palm of his hand.
歌手骄傲地说道,用手掌拍击着自己的胸膛。

I felt sure that they would arrest him for drinking the vodka. —
我确信他们会因为喝伏特加而逮捕他。 —

Peoplecame rushing from the town; a severe-looking police inspector cartie in acab. —
人们从城里跑来;一个严厉的警察督察乘坐的车马停在了一辆民宅前。 —

descended into the pit, and, lifting aside the overcoat of the suicide,looked into his face.
他走进坑里,掀开自杀者的外套,凝视着他的脸。

  “Who saw him first ?”
“谁先发现他的?”

  “I,” said Mitropolski.
“我,”米特罗波尔斯基说道。

  The inspector looked at him and drawled ominously :
督察看着他,威胁地说道:

  “A-ah! Congratulations, my lord!”
“啊!恭喜你,大人!”

  Sightseers began to gather round; there were a dozen or so of people.
看热闹的人开始聚集;大约有十几个人。

  Panting, excited, they surrounded the pit and looked down into it, and one ofthem cried :
喘着气,兴奋地他们围着坑看下去,其中一个人喊道:

  “It is a chinovnik who lives in our street; I know him!”
“住在我们街上的一个官方人员;我认识他!”

The singer, swaying, with his cap off, stood before the inspector, andargued with him inarticulately, shouting something indistinctly. —
摇摆着,摘下帽子的歌手站在督察面前,含糊地和他争吵着,高声说着一些不清楚的话。 —

Then theinspector struck him in the chest. —
然后检查员击中了他的胸部。 —

He reeled and sat down, and the policemanwithout haste took some string from his pocket and bound the hands of thesinger. —
他摇晃着坐下来,警察不慌不忙地从口袋里拿出一些绳子,将歌手的手绑了起来。 —

He folded them meekly behind his back, as if he were used to thisprocedure. —
他将它们温顺地折叠在背后,好像他已经习惯这个程序。 —

Then the inspector began to shout angrily to the crowd:
然后检查员开始对人群愤怒地大喊:

  “Be off, now!”
“现在赶紧走!”

After this there came another, older policeman, with moist, red eyes, hismouth hanging open from weariness, and he took hold of the end of the cordwith which the singer was bound, and gently led him into the town. —
之后又来了另一个年长的警察,眼睛湿润、脸色通红,由于疲惫而张着嘴,他拿住了绳子的一端,温柔地领着歌手走入城镇。 —

I alsowent away dejected from the field. —
我也沮丧地离开了现场。 —

Through my memory, like a dull echo,rang the avenging words:
“哎,那个阿里耶尔城!”

  “Woe to the town Ariel!”
我很快听说那个先知被镇子里赶走了。

  And before my eyes rose that depressing spectacle of the policemanslowly drawing the string from the pocket of his ulster, and the awe-inspiringprophet meekly folding his red, hairy hands behind his back, and crossinghis wrists as if he were used to it.
在他之后,克莱什奇科夫也消失了;他娶了个好媳妇,去了一个新开了个鞍具工坊的地方。

I soon heard that the prophet had been sent out of the town. —
我对我的主人如此热情地赞美了他的歌声,他有一天说: —

And afterhim, Kleshtchkov disappeared; he had married well, and had gone to live in adistrict where a harness-maker’s workshop had been opened.
“我必须去听听他!”

  I had praised his singing so warmly to my master that he said one day:
于是有一天晚上,他坐在我对面的一张小桌子旁,惊讶地挑起眉毛,睁大眼睛。

  “I must go and hear him!”
去小酒馆的路上他取笑我,一开始在酒馆里的时候也是在嘲笑我,那里的人们,还有那里的闷热气味。

  And so one night he sat at a little table opposite to me, raising his browsin astonishment, his eyes wide open.
当鞍具工开始唱歌时,他嘲笑地微笑着,拿起一杯啤酒,但中途停了下来,说:

On the way to the tavern he had made fun of me, and during the firstpart of the time he was in the tavern, he was railing at me, at the peoplethere, and at the stuffy smell of the place. —
“该死的,到底是谁——?” —

When the harness-maker began tosing he smiled derisively, and began to pour himself a glass of beer, but hestopped half-way, saying :
他的手颤抖着;他轻轻地放下瓶子,全神贯注地听着。

  “Who the devil —?”
“对呀,兄弟”,当克莱什奇科夫唱完时,他叹了口气说,“他会唱!”

  His hand trembled; he set the bottle down gently, and began to listenwith intentness.
他甚至让空气变得炽热,该死的!”

“Ye-es, Brother,” he said with a sigh, when Kleshtchkov had finishedsinging, “he can sing! —
鞍具工又抬头仰望天花板,唱起来: —

The devil take him! He has even made the air hot.”
“对呀,哥们”,他又叹了口气,当克莱什奇科夫唱完时说,“他会唱!”

  The harness-maker sang again, with his head back, gazing up at theceiling:
他甚至让空气变得炽热,该死的!”

  “On the road from the flourishing villageA young girl came over the dewy fields.”
从繁华村庄的道路上,一个年轻姑娘走过田野的露珠。

  “He can sing,” muttered my master, shaking his head and smiling.
“他会唱歌,”我的主人嘟囔着,摇摇头,微笑着。

  And Kleshtchkov poured forth his song, clear as the music of a reed:
克莱什奇科夫诉说着他的歌,清脆如芦苇的音乐:

  “And the beautiful maiden answered him:
“美丽少女回答他:

  ‘An orphan am I, no one wants me,’ ”
‘我是个孤儿,没有人要我,’”

  “Good!” whispered my master, blinking his reddening eyes. “Phew! it isdevilish good!”
“好!”我的主人低声说着,眨巴着发红的眼睛。“呼!这太妙了!”

  I looked at him and rejoiced, and the sobbing words of the songconquered the noise of the tavern, sounded more powerful, more beautiful,more touching every moment.
我看着他高兴地庆幸,歌曲哽咽的词句征服了酒馆里的嘈杂声,每一刻都听起来更加强大、美丽、动人。

  I live solitary in our village.
我独自生活在我们村庄。

  A young girl am I ; they never ask me out.
我是一个年轻女孩,他们从不邀请我出去。

  Oie, poor am I, my dress it is not fine;I am not fit, I know, for a brave young man.
噢,我很穷,我的衣裳不漂亮;我知道自己不配得到英俊青年的追求。

  A widower would marry me to do his work;I do not wish to bow myself to such a fate.
鳏夫会娶我来做家务;我不愿低头接受这种命运。

My master wept undisguisedly; he sat with his head bent; —
我的主人毫不掩饰地哭泣;他低着头坐着。 —

his prominentnose twitched, and tears splashed on his knees. —
他凸出的鼻子抽动着,眼泪溅在他的膝盖上。 —

After the third song, agitatedand dishevelled, he said:
第三首歌结束后,他激动不安地,头发蓬乱地说:

  “I can’t sit here any longer; I shall be stifled with these odors. Let us gohome.”
“我再也坐不住了;这些气味让我喘不过气来。我们回家吧。”

  But when we were in the street he said :
但当我们在街上时,他说:

“Come along, Pyeshkov, let us go to a restaurant and have something toeat. —
“走吧,皮什科夫,我们去餐馆吃点东西。 —

I don’t want to go home!”
我不想回家!”

  He hailed a sledge, without haggling about the charge, and said nothingwhile we were on the way, but in the restaurant, after taking a table in acorner, he began at once in an undertone, looking about him the while, tocomplain angrily.
他拦了一辆雪橇,没有讨价还价,我们在路上的时候什么也没说,但是在餐馆里,选了一个角落的桌子后,他立刻开始低声抱怨,一边望着四周。

“He has thoroughly upset me, that goat; to such a state of melancholy hehas driven me! —
“那只山羊完全把我搞糊涂了;他让我陷入了极度的忧郁! —

Here you are — you read and think about things — just tellme now, what the devil is the use of it all? —
你看,你读书,思考着各种事情——告诉我现在,这一切究竟有何用处? —

One lives; forty years pass by; onehas a wife and children, and no one to talk to! —
一个活着的人;四十年过去了;有了妻子和孩子,却无人交流! —

There are times when I wantto unburden my soul, to talk to some one about all sorts of things, but thereis no one I can talk to. —
有时我想倾诉我的心事,和某个人谈谈各种事情,可是没有可以倾诉的对象。 —

I can’t talk to my wife; I have nothing in common withher. What is she, after all? —
我不能和妻子谈话;我和她没有共同之处。她到底是谁? —

She has her children and the house; that’s herbusiness. She is a stranger to my soul. —
她有她的孩子和房子;那是她的责任。她是我灵魂的陌生人。 —

A wife is your friend till the first childcomes. —
妻子是你的朋友,直到第一个孩子出生。 —

In fact, she is — on the whole — Well, you can see for yourself shedoes not dance to my piping. Flesh without spirit, the devil take you! —
事实上,她是——总的来说——嗯,你可以看得出来,她不听我的话。肉体没有精神,讨厌鬼! —

It is agrief to me, Brother.”
这对我来说是一种痛苦,兄弟。”

  He drank the cold, bitter beer feverishly, was silent for a time, rufflinghis long hair, and then he went on :
他狂喝着冰冷、苦涩的啤酒,沉默了一会儿,搔着他的长发,然后继续说:

“Human creatures are riff-raff for the most part. Brother! —
“人类大多数都是废物,兄弟!” —

There you are,for instance, talking to the workmen. —
你在那里,例如,与工人交谈。 —

Oh yes, I understand there is a lot oftrickery, and baseness; it is true. Brother; —
哦是的,我明白有很多欺诈和卑劣;是的,兄弟; —

they are thieves all of them! But doyou think that what you say makes any difference to them! Not an atom! No!
他们都是小偷!但你认为你所说的对他们有任何影响吗!一丝不挂!没有!

They are all — Petr, Osip as well — rogues! —
他们都是——彼得,奥西普也一样——流氓! —

They speak about me, and youspeak for me, and all — what is the use of it, Brother?”
他们谈论我,你替我说话,还有全部人——这有什么用处,兄弟?”

  I was dumb from sheer amazement.
我由于纯粹的惊愕而无言以对。

“That’s it!” said my master, smiling. “You were right to think of going toPersia. —
“就是这样!”我的主人微笑着说。“你考虑去波斯是对的。 —

There you would understand nothing; it is a foreign language theyspeak there! —
在那里你将一无所知;他们在那里说着一种外国语言! —

But in your own language you’ll hear nothing but baseness!”
但在你自己的语言里,你将什么都听不到除了卑劣的话语!”

  “Has Osip been telling you about me?” I asked.
“奥西普告诉你关于我吗?”我问。

“Well, yes! But what did you expect ? He talks more than any of them; heis a gossip. —
“嗯,是!但你期待什么?他比他们任何人都说得多;他是个八卦。 —

He is a sly creature, Brother! No, Pyeshkov, words don’t touchthem. Am I not right? —
他是个狡猾的家伙,兄弟!不,皮什科夫,言语无法触及他们。我是不是对的? —

And what the devil is the use of it? And what the devildifference does it make? None! —
所以到底有什么用?所以到底有什么区别?没有! —

It is like snow in the autumn, falling in themud and melting. —
就像秋天的雪,落在泥地中融化。 —

It only makes more mud. You had far better hold yourtongue.”
这只会制造更多的泥土。你最好闭上嘴。”

He drank glass after glass of beer. —
他一杯接一杯地喝着啤酒。 —

He did not get drunk, but he talkedmore and more quickly and fiercely.
他并没有喝醉,但说话越来越快、越来越激烈。

“The proverb says, ‘Speech is silver, silence is golden. —
“俗语说,‘沉默是金,言语是银’。 —

’ Ekh, Brother, it isall sorrow, sorrow! —
“额,兄弟,这一切都是悲伤,悲伤! —

He sang truly, ‘Solitary I live in our village. —
他真切地唱道,‘我独自一个人生活在我们的村庄。 —

’ Human life isall loneliness.”
人生就是一片孤独。”

  He glanced round, lowered his voice, and continued :
他环顾四周,压低声音,继续说道:

“And I had found a friend after my own heart. —
“而我找到了一个志同道合的朋友。 —

There was a woman whohappened to be alone, as good as a widow; —
有一个妇人正好是孤身一人,几乎像个寡妇; —

her husband had beencondemned to Siberia for coining money, and was in prison there. —
她的丈夫因造假币被流放到西伯利亚,关在那里的监狱里。 —

I becameacquainted with her; she was penniless; —
我认识了她;她一文不名; —

it was that, you know, which led toour acquaintance. —
就是这点你知道的导致了我们的相识。 —

I looked at her and thought, ‘What a nice little person!’
我看着她,想到‘多么可爱的小人儿!’

Pretty, you know, young, simply wonderful. —
漂亮的,你知道的,年轻的,简直太了不起了。 —

I saw her once or twice, and thenI said to her : —
我看见她一两次,然后对她说:”. —

‘Your husband is a rogue. You are not living honestly yourself.
‘你丈夫是个流氓。你自己也不老实。

Why do you want to go to Siberia after him?’ But she would follow him intoexile. —
你为什么要跟着他去西伯利亚?’但她会跟随他去流放地。 —

She said to me: ‘Whatever he is, I love him; —
她对我说:‘不管他是什么样的,我爱他; —

he is good to me I It may bethat it was for me he sinned. I have sinned with you. —
他对我很好。也许他因为我才犯了罪。我也与你一起犯了罪。 —

For’ his sake,’ she said,‘I had to have money; he is a gentleman and accustomed to live well. —
为了他,’她说,‘我需要钱;他是个绅士,习惯过着优越的生活。 —

If I hadbeen single,’ she said, ‘I should have lived honorably. —
如果我单身,’她说,‘我会过得光明正大。 —

You are a good man,too,’ she said, ‘and I like you very much, but don’t talk to me about thisagain. —
你也是个好人,’她说,‘我也很喜欢你,但是请不要再跟我提起这件事。 —

’ The devil! I gave her all I had — eighty rubles or thereabouts — and Isaid: —
’该死!我把我所有的都给了她 — 大约八十卢布 — 我说: —

‘You must pardon me, but I cannot see you any more. I cannot! —
‘请原谅我,但我不能再见你。我不能! —

’ And Ileft her — and that’s how — ”
’我离开了她 — 就是这样 — ”

  He was silent, and then he suddenly became drunk. He sank into ahuddled-up heap and muttered :
  他沉默了,然后突然开始喝醉了。他变成一团缩在一起的堆,喃喃自语:

“Six times I went to see her. You can’t understand what it was like! —
‘我去见她六次。你无法理解当时是什么感觉! —

Imight have gone to her flat six more times, but I could not make up my mindto it. —
我也许本可以再去她的公寓六次,但我无法下定决心。 —

I could not! Now she has gone away.”
我无法!现在她走了。”

  He laid his hands on the table, and in a whisper, moving his fingers,said :
  他把手放在桌子上,低声说着:“

“God grant I never meet her again! God grant it! —
“愿上帝保佑我永远不要再遇到她!愿上帝保佑!” —

Then it would be goingto the devil! Let us go home. Come!”
“那样的话会走向魔鬼!让我们回家吧。走!”

  We went. He staggered along, muttering:
我们走了。他摇摇晃晃地走着,嘀咕着:

  “That’s how it is, Brother.”
“兄弟,就是这样。”

I was not surprised by the story he had told me; —
他告诉我那个故事并没有让我感到惊讶; —

I had long ago guessedthat something unusual had happened to him. —
我早就猜到他遭遇了什么不寻常的事情。 —

But I was greatly depressed bywhat he had said about life, and more by what he had said about Osip.
但他对生活的看法,以及他对奥西普的言论,让我心情沉重。