HOWEVER, I did run away in the spring. One morning when I went to theshop for bread the shopkeeper, continuing in my presence a quarrel with hiswife, struck her on the forehead with a weight. —
但是,春天的时候我逃走了。有一天早晨,我去商店买面包,商店老板和他的妻子在我面前吵架,结果他用一个重物打在她的额头上。 —

She ran into the street, andthere fell down. People began to gather round at once. —
她跑进了街上,然后倒下了。人们立刻开始围观。 —

The woman was laidon a stretcher and carried to the hospital, and I ran behind the cab whichtook her there without noticing where I was going till I found myself on thebanks of the Volga, with two gr evens in my hand.
女人被放在担架上送到了医院,我跟着拉她去的出租车而根本没有注意自己到底往哪里去,直到发现自己站在伏尔加河岸边,手里还拿着两个格列温。

The spring sun shone caressingly, the broad expanse of the Volga flowedbefore me, the earth was full of sound and spacious, and I had been livinglike a mouse in a trap. —
春日的阳光温柔地照耀着,伏尔加河宽阔的一片水域展现在我面前,大地充满声音和广袤,而我一直都像在陷阱中的老鼠一样活着。 —

So I made up my mind that I would not return to mymaster, nor would I go to grandmother at Kunavin; —
所以我决定不回去找我的主人,也不去昆亚夫女祖母那里; —

for as I had not kept myword to her, I was ashamed to go and see her, and grandfather would onlygloat over my misfortunes.
因为我没有遵守对她的诺言,所以很羞于见她,而爷爷只会因我的不幸而幸灾乐祸。

For two or three days I wandered by the river-side, being fed by kindheartedporters, and sleeping with them in their shelters. —
几天我在河边游荡,得到好心慈善的码头工人的款待,和他们一起在庇护所里睡觉。 —

At length one ofthem said to me:
最终其中一位对我说:

“It is no use for you to hang about here, my boy. I can see that. —
“你在这里游荡是没有用的,我的孩子。我能看出来。 —

Go overto the boat which is called The Good. They want a washer-up.”
去那条叫做‘善良’的船上看看吧,他们需要一个洗碗工。”

  I went. The tall, bearded steward in a black silk skullcap looked at methrough his glasses with his dim eyes, and said quietly :
我去了。高个子,留着胡须的管家戴着一顶黑色的丝绸便帽透过他那昏花的眼睛戴着眼镜看着我,平静地说:

  “Two rubles a month. Your passport?”
“一个月两卢布。你的护照呢?”

  I had no passport. The steward pondered and then said:
我没有护照。管家考虑片刻然后说:

  “Bring your mother to see me.”
“带上你妈妈来见我。”

  I rushed to grandmother. She approved the course I had taken, toldgrandfather to go to the workman’s court and get me a passport, and sheherself accompanied me to the boat.
我跑去找祖母。她赞同我所采取的行动,让祖父去工人法庭给我解决护照问题,她亲自陪我去船上。

  “Good!” said the steward, looking at us. “Come along.”
“很好!”看着我们,服务生说。“跟我来。”

He then took me to the stern of the boat, where sat at a small table,drinking tea and smoking a fat cigar at the same time, an enormous cook inwhite overalls and a white cap. —
然后他把我带到了船尾,在那里坐着一位穿着白色工作服和白色帽子的巨大厨师,他一边喝茶一边抽着一支粗雪茄。 —

The steward pushed me toward him.
服务生把我推到他面前。

  “The washer-up.”
“洗碗工。”

  Then he went away, and the cook, snorting, and with his black mustachebristling, called after him :
然后他走开了,那位厨师哼着,他那黑色的小胡子竖起来,喊道:

  “‘You engage any sort of devil as long as he is cheap.”
‘你雇佣任何便宜的恶魔。”

  Angrily tossing his head of closely cropped hair, he opened his dark eyesvery wide, stretched himself, puffed, and cried shrilly:
他生气地摇摇头,睁大他那深邃的黑眼睛,伸了个懒腰,吸了口烟,尖声喊道:

  “And who may you be?”
你是谁?”

I did not like the appearance of this man at all. —
我一点也不喜欢这个人的样子。 —

Although he was all inwhite, he looked dirty. —
虽然他全身穿着白色,但看起来很脏。 —

There was a sort of wool growing on his fingers, andhairs stuck out of his great ears.
他手指上长着一种毛发,大耳朵上还长着一些毛发。

  “I am hungry,” was my reply to him.
我饿了。”这是我对他说的话。

He blinked, and suddenly his ferocious countenance was transformed bya broad smile. —
他眨了眨眼,突然,他那凶狠的面容因为一个大大的微笑而变得温和起来。 —

His fat, brick-red cheeks widened to his very ears ; hedisplayed his large, equine teeth; —
他那红扑扑的脸颊一下子从耳朵一直展到脖子;他展现出他那大块头的马牙齿; —

his mustache drooped, and all at once hehad assumed the appearance of a kind, fat woman.
他的小胡子垂下来,突然间变成了一位亲切的胖女人的模样。

  Throwing the tea overboard out of his glass, he poured out a fresh lot forme, and pushed a French roll and a large piece of sausage toward me.
将茶水从杯中泼掉后,他为我倒了新的茶水,并推过来一根法式面包和一大块香肠。

“Peg away! Are your parents living? Can you steal? —
“拼命干!你的父母还在吗?你会偷吗? —

You needn’t be afraid;they are all thieves here. —
你不用害怕;这里都是小偷。 —

You will soon learn.”
你很快就会学会的。”

He talked as if he were barking. His enormous, blue, clean-shaven facewas covered all round the nose with red veins closely set together, hisswollen, purple nose hung over his mustache. —
他说话的口吻像是在吠叫。他那庞大、蓝色、干净的脸周围被密集的红色血管覆盖,他那肿胀的、紫色的鼻子盖住了上唇。 —

His lower lip was disiiguringlypendulous. —
他的下唇下垂得令人厌恶。 —

In the corner of his mouth was stuck a smoking cigarette.
嘴角挂着一支冒烟的香烟。

Apparently he had only just come from the bath. —
显然,他刚刚从浴室出来。 —

He smelt of birch twigs, anda profuse sweat glistened on his temples and neck.
他身上带着桦树枝的气味,他的太阳穴和脖子上闪着大汗。

  After I had drunk my tea, he gave me a ruble-note.
喝完茶后,他递给我一张卢布。

  “Run along and buy yourself two aprons with this. Wait! I will buy themfor you myself.”
“拿着这个去买两条围裙。等等!我自己给你买。”

  He set his cap straight and came with me, swaying ponderously, his feetpattering on the deck like those of a bear.
他整理了一下帽子,跟着我走,摇摇晃晃地走着,他的脚像熊一样在甲板上拍打着。

At night the moon shone brightly as it glided away from the boat to themeadows on the left. —
晚上,月光明亮地从船上滑向左边的牧场。 —

The old red boat, with its streaked funnel, did nothurry, and her propeller splashed unevenly in the silvery water. —
那艘有条纹烟囱的旧红色船没有赶紧走,她的螺旋桨在银色的水中发出不规律的声响。 —

The darkshore gently floated to meet her, casting its shadow. —
黑暗的岸边温柔地漂向她,投下了阴影。 —

on the water, andbeyond, the windows of the peasant huts gleamed charmingly. —
在水上,农民小屋的窗户闪闪发光,非常迷人。 —

They weresinging in the village. The girls were merry-making and singing — and whenthey sang “Aie Ludi,” it sounded like “Alleluia.”
村里传来欢歌笑语。姑娘们在欢快地唱歌和嬉戏——当她们唱起“Aie Ludi”时,听起来就像“Alleluia”。

In the wake of the steamer a large barge, also red, was being towed by along rope. —
蒸汽船的尾流上,还拖着一只大红色驳船,由一根长绳牵引。 —

The deck was railed in like an iron cage, and in this cage wereconvicts condemned to deportation or prison. —
船甲板像铁笼一样围栏起来,这个笼子里关着被判流放或监禁的囚犯。 —

On the prow of the barge thebayonet of a sentry shone like a candle. —
驳船船头上哨兵的刺刀闪烁着像蜡烛一样的光。 —

It was quiet on the barge itself. Themoon bathed it in a rich light while behind the black iron grating could beseen dimly gray patches. —
船上很安静。明亮的月光照射下来,铁栏杆后可以隐约看到灰色斑块。 —

These were the convicts looking out on the Volga.
那是望着伏尔加河的囚犯们。

The water sobbed, now weeping, now laughing timidly. —
水涛声咽,时而哭泣,时而羞怯地笑。 —

It was as quiet hereas in church, and there was the same smell of oil.
这里像教堂一样安静,充满着同样的油腻味。

As I looked at the barge I remembered my early childhood; —
看着驳船我想起了我的童年时光; —

the journeyfrom Astrakhan to Nijni, the iron faces of mother and grandmother, theperson who had introduced me to this interesting, though hard, life, in theworld. —
从阿斯特拉罕到下诺夫哥罗德的旅途,母亲和祖母的铁青面孔,把我引入这个有趣但艰难的世界的那个人。 —

And when I thought of grandmother, all that I found so bad andrepulsive in life seemed to leave me; —
一想到祖母,生活中所有让我感到糟糕和令人反感的东西似乎都远离了我; —

everything was transformed and becamemore interesting, pleasanter; —
一切都变得更有趣,更愉快; —

people seemed to be better and niceraltogether.
人们似乎变得更好,更友善。

The beauty of the nights moved me almost to tears, and especially thebarge, which looked so like a coffin, and so solitary on the broad expanse ofthe flowing river in the pensive quietness of the warm night. —
夜晚的美景几乎让我感动得掉泪,尤其是这只像棺材一样的驳船,在温暖夜晚安静的流水中显得如此孤寂。 —

The unevenlines of the shore, now rising, now falling, stirred the imagination pleasantly.
湍急的岸边线条时而上升,时而下降,激起了愉悦的想象。

  I longed to be good, and to be of use to others.
我渴望变好,并成为他人的帮助。

The people on our steamboat had a peculiar stamp. —
我们船上的人有一种特殊的标志。 —

They seemed to meto be all alike, young and old, men and women. The boat traveled slowly. —
他们在我看来都是一样的,无论老少男女。船行进得很慢。 —

Thebusy folk traveled by fast boat, and all the lazy rascals came on our boat.
忙碌的人乘坐快船,而所有懒汉都坐我们的船。

They sang and ate, and soiled any amount of cups and plates, knives andforks and spoons from morning to night. —
他们唱歌,吃饭,从早到晚都弄脏各种杯碟、刀叉和勺子。 —

My work was to wash up and cleanthe knives and forks, and I was busy with this work from six in the morningtill close on midnight. —
我的工作是清洗和收拾刀叉,我从早上六点工作到凌晨十二点。 —

During the day, from two till six o’clock, and in theevening, from ten till midnight, I had less work to do; —
白天,从下午两点到六点,晚上,从十点到午夜,工作相对较轻松。 —

for at those times thepassengers took a rest from eating, and only drank, tea, beer, and vodka. —
因为那些时候乘客休息不吃饭,只喝茶、啤酒和伏特加。 —

Allthe buffet attendants, my chiefs, were free at that time, too. —
所有自助餐厅的服务员,我的主管,在那个时候也有空闲。 —

The cook,Smouri, drank tea at a table near the hatchway with his assistant, JaakovIvanich; —
厨师斯莫里和他的助手亚科夫·伊万尼奇在距离舱口不远的地方喝茶; —

the kitchen-man, Maxim; and Sergei, the saloon steward, ahumpback with high cheek-bones, a face pitted with smallpox, and oily eyes.
厨房助手马克西姆;以及赛尔盖,厢房服务员,一位高颧骨的驼背,脸上饱经天花折磨,眼睛油腻。

Jaakov told all sorts of nasty stories, bursting out into sobbing laughs andshowing his long, discolored teeth. —
亚科夫讲述了各种下流的故事,大笑着哭泣,露出他长长的、褪色的牙齿。 —

Sergei stretched his frog-like mouth to hisears. —
赛尔盖张开青蛙般的嘴巴直达耳朵。 —

Frowning Maxim was silent, gazing at them with stern, colorless eyes.
皱着眉头的马克西姆保持沉默,用严肃而无色的眼睛凝视着他们。

  “Asiatic! Mordovan!” said the old cook now and again in his deep voice.
“亚洲人!莫多瓦人!”老厨师时不时用他沉重的声音说道。

I did not like these people. Fat, bald Jaakov Ivanich spoke of nothing butwomen, and that always filth — ily. —
我不喜欢这些人。肥胖、秃顶的雅科夫·伊万尼奇说的话总是关于女人,而且总是肮脏的。 —

He had a vacant-looking face coveredwith bluish pimples. —
他的面孔看起来毫无表情,覆盖着一片带着蓝色丘疹的皮肤。 —

, On one cheek he had a mole with a tuft of red hairgrowing from it. —
他的一边脸上有个痔疮,上面长着一撮红发。 —

He used to pull out these hairs by twisting them round aneedle. —
他常常用针把这些毛拧出来。 —

Whenever an amiable, sprightly passenger of the female sexappeared on the boat, he waited upon her in a peculiar, timid manner like abeggar. —
每当一个和蔼可亲、活泼的女性乘客出现在船上,他像个乞丐似的以一种特殊、胆怯的方式服务她。 —

He spoke to her sweetly and plaintively, he licked her, as it were,with the swift movements of his tongue. —
他温柔而哀求地和她说话,用舌头快速地舔着她。 —

For some reason I used to think thatsuch great fat creatures ought to be hangmen.
出于某种原因,我认为这样一群如此肥胖的生物应该成为刽子手。

  “One should know how to get round women,” he would teach Sergei andMaxim, who would listen to him much impressed, pouting their lips andturning red.
“一个人应该知道如何迎合女人。”他经常教导谢尔盖和马克斯姆,他们听他说的话非常受触动,噘起嘴唇,脸红。

  “Asiatics!” Smouri would roar in accents of disgust, and standing upheavily, he gave the order, “Pyeshkov, march!”
“亚洲人!”斯莫里咆哮着表示厌恶,站起身来,发号施令,“皮什科夫,前进!”

  In his cabin he would hand me a little book bound in leather, and liedown in his hammock by the wall of the ice-house.
在他的舱房里,他给我递过一本皮革绑定的小书,躺在冰库墙边的吊床上。

  “Read!” he would say.
“念!”他说。

  I sat on a box and read conscientiously :
我坐在一个箱子上,认真地念起来:

  “ The umbra projected by the stars means that one is on good terms withheaven and free from profanity and vice.’ ”
“由星星投影的影子表示一个人与天堂和解,远离亵渎和恶行。”

  Smouri, smoking a cigarette, puffed out the smoke and growled:
斯莫里抽着香烟,吐出烟雾,嘟囔道:

  “Camels! They wrote — ”
骆驼!他们写道—

  “ ‘Baring the left bosom means innocence of heart.’ ”
“露出左胸意味着内心纯洁。”

  “Whose bosom?”
“是谁的胸膛?”

  “It does not say.”
“没有写明。”

  “A woman’s, it means. Eh, and a loose woman.”
“是女人的,意味着。呃,一个放荡的女人。”

He closed his eyes and lay with his arms behind his head. —
他闭上眼睛,双臂在头后交叉着。 —

His cigarette,hardly alight, stuck in the corner of his mouth. —
他的香烟,几乎没点着,夹在嘴角。 —

He set it straight with histongue, stretched so that something whistled in his chest, and his enormousface was enveloped in a cloud of smoke. —
他用舌头把它弄直,伸展身体以致胸口发出嘶嘶声,他巨大的脸被一团烟雾笼罩。 —

Sometimes I thought he had fallenasleep and I left off reading to examine the accursed book, which bored meto nauseation. —
有时我以为他已经睡着了,于是就停止了阅读,去研究让我感到厌恶的可恶的书。 —

But he said hoarsely :
但他嘶哑地说:

  “Go on reading!”
“继续读!”

  “The venerable one answered, “Look! My dear brother Suvyerin — “ ‘ ”
“崇高的一位回答道,‘看!我亲爱的兄弟苏维耶林—’”

  “Syevyeverin — ”
“叶维耶林—”

  “It is written Suvyerin.”
“书中写的是苏维耶林。”

  “Well, that’s witchcraft. There is some poetry at the end. Run on fromthere.”
“好吧,那就是巫术。结尾有些诗歌。从那里继续。”

  I ran on.
我奔跑着。

  “Profane ones, curious to know our business, Never will your weak eyesspy it out, Nor will you learn how the fairies sing.”
“亵渎的人们,好奇地想知道我们的事务,永远也不会通过你们脆弱的眼睛看到,也不会知道仙子们如何歌唱。”

  “Wait!” said Smouri. “That is not poetry. Give me the book.”
“等等!”斯莫里说。“这不是诗歌。给我书。”

  He angrily turned over the thick, blue leaves, and then put the bookunder the mattress.
他愤怒地翻看着那厚厚的蓝色书页,然后把书塞到床垫下面。

  “Get me another one.”
“拿给我另一本。”

  To my grief there were many books in his black trunk clamped with iron.
令我伤心的是他的黑色大皮箱里有许多书,上面镶着铁。

  There were “Precepts of Peace,” “Memories of the Artillery,” “Letters of LordSydanhall,” “Concerning Noxious Insects and their Extinction, with Adviceagainst the Pest,” books which seemed to have no beginning and no end.
那里有“和平的格言”、“炮兵的回忆录”、“西丹哈尔勋爵的信件”、“关于有害昆虫及其灭绝的建议,以及对抗害虫的忠告”,这些书似乎没有开头也没有结尾。

  Sometimes the cook set me to turn over all his books and read out their titlesto him, but as soon as I had begun he called out angrily:
有时厨师让我把他所有的书翻看一遍,念出它们的标题给他听,但我一开始他就生气地喊道:

“What is it all about? Why do you speak through your teeth? —
“这都是些什么?你为什么咬牙说话? —

It isimpossible to understand you. What the devil has Gervase to do with me?
根本无法理解你。赫尔瓦斯与我有什么关系?

  Gervase! Umbra indeed!”
“赫尔瓦斯!阴影真的!”

Terrible words, incomprehensible names were wearily remembered, andthey tickled my tongue. —
可怕的词语、难以理解的名字在我疲倦地记忆着,并搔痒着我的舌头。 —

I had an incessant desire to repeat them, thinkingthat perhaps by pronouncing them I might discover their meaning. —
我一直渴望地想重复它们,想着或许通过发音我能发现它们的意义。 —

Andoutside the porthole the water unweariedly sang and splashed. —
而窗外,水始终在歌唱溅起水花。 —

It would havebeen pleasant to go to the stern, where the sailors and stokers were gatheredtogether among the chests, where the passengers played cards, sang songs,and told interesting stories. —
我很想到船尾去,那里水手和锅炉工聚集在箱子周围,乘客们打牌,唱歌,讲趣事。 —

It would have been pleasant to sit among themand listen to simple, intelligible conversation, to gaze on the banks of theKama, at the fir-trees drawn out like brass wires, at the meadows, whereinsmall lakes remained from the floods, looking like pieces of broken glass asthey reflected the sun.
坐在他们当中听着简单易懂的交谈,凝视着卡马河畔,松树像铜线一样伸展,草地上残留着洪水形成的小湖,如同反射太阳光芒的破碎玻璃。

  Our steamer was traveling at some distance from the shore, yet thesound of invisible bells came to us, reminding us of the villages and people.
我们的轮船离岸边有些距离,但隐形钟声传来,让我们想起村庄和人们。

The barks of the fishermen floated on the waves like crusts of bread. —
渔民的船只在波浪上漂浮,像面包皮一样。 —

There,on the bank a little village appeared, here a crowd of small boys bathed in theriver, men in red blouses could be seen passing along a narrow strip of sand.
在岸边,一个小村庄显现出来,这里小男孩们在河里戏水,穿着红色上衣的人们在狭窄的沙地上走过。

  Seen from a distance, from the river, it was a very pleasing sight ; everythinglooked like tiny toys of many colors.
从远处看,从河中,这是一幅非常令人愉悦的景象;一切看起来都像五颜六色的微型玩具。

I felt a desire to call out some kind, tender words to the shore and thebarge. —
我很想对岸边和驳船喊一些善意、温柔的话。 —

The latter interested me greatly; I could look at it for an hour at a timeas it dipped its blunt nose in the turbid water. —
后者引起了我极大的兴趣;我可以盯着它看一个小时,看着它把钝鼻子浸入浑浊的水中。 —

The boat dragged it along as ifit were a pig: —
那艘船像拖着一头猪一样拖着它; —

the tow-rope, slackening, lashed the water, then once moredrew taut and pulled the barge along by the nose. —
拉线一松,就抽打着水面,然后再度拉紧,用鼻子把驳船拖动。 —

I wanted very much to seethe faces of those people who were kept like wild animals in an iron cage. —
我十分想看到那些被铁笼囚禁着的人的面孔。 —

AtPerm, where they were landed, I made my way to the gangway, and past mecame, in batches of ten, gray people, trampling dully, rattling their fetters,bowed down by their heavy knapsacks. —
在通往伯尔姆的地方,我挤到了舷梯边,一批批灰色的人走过我身边,低沉地踏着脚步,牢笼响起了沉闷的声音,蹲下来承受着沉重的背包。 —

There were all sorts, young and old,handsome and ugly, all exactly like ordinary people except that they weredifferently dressed and were disfiguringly close-shaven. —
这里各色人等皆有,年轻人老年人,英俊的丑陋的,都和普通人一样,只是他们穿着不同,被刮得干干净净。 —

No doubt these wererobbers, but grandmother had told me much that was good about robbers.
毫无疑问,这些人是强盗,但奶奶曾告诉我许多关于强盗的好话。

  Smouri looked much more like a fierce robber than they as he glancedloweringly at the barge and said loudly:
斯莫里看起来比他们更像凶猛的强盗,他瞥着驳船,高声说道:

  “Save me, God, from such a fate!”
“上帝啊,保佑我远离这样的命运!”

  Once I asked him :
我曾问他:

  “Why do you say that? You cook, while those others kill and steal.”
“为什么你这样说呢?你做饭,而那些人杀人抢劫。”

“I don’t cook; I only prepare. The women cook,” he said, bursting outlaughing; —
“我不做饭;我只是准备。做饭的是妇女们,”他说着,哈哈大笑; —

but after thinking a moment he added: “The difference betweenone person and another lies in stupidity. —
但想了一会儿后他补充道:“一个人和另一个人之间的区别在于愚蠢。 —

One man is clever, another not soclever, and a third may be quite a fool. —
一个人聪明,另一个人不那么聪明,第三个可能很蠢。 —

To become clever one must read theright books — black magic and what not. —
要变聪明,就必须读正确的书籍——黑魔法之类的。 —

One must read all kinds of booksand then one will find the right ones.”
必须读各种各样的书,然后才会找到合适的。”

  He was continually impressing upon me :
他一直强调着对我说:

“Read! When you don’t understand a book, read it again and again, asmany as seven times ; —
“阅读!当你不懂一本书时,要重复读,最多七次; —

and if you do not understand it then, read it a dozentimes.”
如果到那时你仍然不理解,就读十几次。”

To every one on the boat, not excluding the taciturn steward, Smourispoke roughly. —
史穆里粗鲁地对待每个船上的人,包括沉默寡言的服务生。 —

Sticking out his lower lip as if he were disgusted, and,stroking his mustache, he pelted them with words as if they were stones. —
他吐出下唇,仿佛恶心,摸着胡子,像扔石头一样扔出词语。 —

Tome he always showed kindness and interest, but there was something abouthis interest which rather frightened me. —
对待我,他总是表现出友善和兴趣,但他的兴趣在某种程度上吓到了我。 —

Sometimes I thought he was crazy,like grandmother’s sister. —
有时候我觉得他像疯了,就像祖母的姐姐。 —

At times he said to me:
有时他对我说:

  “Leave off reading.”
放下书卷吧。

And he would lie for a long time with closed eyes, breathing stertorously,his great stomach shaking. —
他闭着眼睛,呼吸沉重,巨大的肚子不停地颤动。 —

His hairy fingers, folded corpse-like on his chest,moved, knitting invisible socks with invisible needles. —
他的毛茸茸的手指交叉放在胸前,无声地编织着无形的毛线袜。 —

Suddenly he wouldbegin growling:
突然间,他开始咆哮起来:

“Here are you! You have your intelligence. Go and live! —
“你在这里!你拥有智慧。去活着吧! —

But intelligenceis given sparingly, and not to all alike. —
但智慧是稀缺的,不是每个人都有。 —

If all were on the same levelintellectually — but they are not. —
如果所有人在智力上都是平等的 — 但事实并非如此。 —

One understands, another docs not, andthere are some people who do not even wish to understand!”
一个人理解,另一个人却不理解,还有一些人根本不想理解!”

Stumbling over his words, he related stories of his life as a soldier, thedrift of which I could never manage to catch. —
他结结巴巴地讲述了自己作为士兵的生活经历,其中我总是无法理解他所表达的主旨。 —

They seemed very uninterestingto me. Besides, he did not tell them from the beginning, but as he recollectedthem.
对我来说,这些故事似乎非常乏味。而且,他并不是从头开始讲述,而是在回忆时断断续续地说着。

  “The commander of the regiment called this soldier to him and asked:
“团长把这个士兵叫到身边,问道:

‘What did the lieutenant say to you? —
‘中尉对你说了什么? —

’ So he told everything just as it hadhappened — a soldier is bound to tell the truth — but the lieutenant looked athim as if he had been a wall, and then turned away, hanging his head. Yes —”
’于是他如实将一切都讲了出来 — 一个士兵必须讲真话 — 但中尉却像看墙壁一样看着他,然后低下头离开了。是的 —”

  He became indignant, puffed out clouds of smoke, and growled:
他变得愤怒起来,喷出一团团烟雾,咆哮着:

“How was I to know what I could say and what I ought not to say? —
“我怎么知道我能说什么,又不能说什么呢?” —

Thenthe lieutenant was condemned to be shut up in a fortress, and his mothersaid — ah, my God! —
然后中尉被判关押在要塞中,他的母亲说 — 啊,我的上帝! —

I am not learned in anything.”
我对任何事都不精通。

It was hot. Everything seemed to be quivering and tinkling. —
天气很热。一切似乎在颤动和叮当作响。 —

The watersplashed against the iron walls of the cabin, and the wheel of the boat roseand fell. —
水溅击在舱室的铁墙上,船轮上下起伏。 —

The river flowed in a broad stream between the rows of lights. —
河水在一片灯光间流淌成一条宽阔的河流。 —

In thedistance could be seen the line of the meadowed bank. The trees drooped.
在远处可以看到草地河岸线。树儿低垂。

  When one’s hearing had become accustomed to all the sounds, it seemed asif all was quiet, although the soldiers in the stem of the boat howled dismally,“Se-e-even! Se-e-ven!”
当一个人的听觉习惯于一切声音后,似乎一切都是安静的,尽管船尾的士兵们凄凉地嚎叫着,“七!七!”

I had no desire to take part in anything. —
我没有渴望参与任何事情。 —

I wanted neither to listen nor towork, but only to sit somewhere in the shadows, where there was no greasy,hot smell of cooking; —
我既不想听也不想工作,只想坐在没有油腻的、炎热飘过来的烹饪气味的阴影中, —

to sit and gaze, half asleep, at the quiet, sluggish life asit slipped away on the water.
坐着,半睡半醒地凝视着宁静、慢悠悠地流逝在水上的生活。

  “Read!” the cook commanded harshly.
“念书!” 厨师严厉地命令道。

  Even the head steward was afraid of him, and that mild man of fewwords, the dining-room steward, who looked like a sandre, was evidentlyafraid of Smouri too.
甚至总服务长也怕他,那位几乎不说话的和蔼的餐厅服务长,看起来像一条鲈鱼,显然也害怕斯莫里。

  “Ei! You swine!” he would cry to this man. “Come here! Thief! Asiatic!”
“喂!你这畜生!” 他会对这个人大喊。 “过来!贼!亚洲人!”

The sailors and stokers were very respectful to him, and expectant offavors. —
水手和工程师们对他非常尊敬,期待着恩惠。 —

He gave them the meat from which soup had been made, andinquired after their homes and their families. —
他给他们剩下的肉,用来做汤,还询问他们的家庭和家人。 —

The oily and smoke-driedWhite Russian stokers were counted the lowest people on the boat. —
那些油腻和被烟熏的白俄罗斯司炉被认为是船上最低贱的人。 —

Theywere all called by one name. Yaks, and they were teased, “Like a Yak, I amblealong the shore.”
他们都被称为一个名字。亚克,他们被取笑,“像一头牦牛,我沿着岸边漫步。”

  When Smouri heard this, he bristled up, his face became suffused withblood, and he roared at the stokers :
当斯莫里听到这个时,他气得直跳,脸涨得通红,向司炉大声吼道:

  “Why do you allow them to laugh at you, you mugs? Throw some saucein their faces.”
“你们被他们笑话,为什么要忍气吞声?给他们点颜色瞧瞧。”

  Once the boatswain, a handsome, but ill-natured, man, said to him :
有一次,甲板长,一个英俊但脾气坏的人,对他说:

  “They are the same as Little Russians; they hold the same faith.”
“他们跟小俄罗斯人一样;他们信仰也一样。”

  The cook seized him by the collar and belt, lifted him up in the air, andsaid, shaking him :
大厨抓住他的衣领和腰带,把他提到空中,摇晃着说:

  “Shall I knock you to smithereens?”
“要我碾成粉末吗?”

  They quarreled often, these two. Sometimes it even came to a fight, butSmouri was never beaten. He was possessed of superhuman strength, andbesides this, the captain’s wife, with a masculine face and smooth hair like aboy’s, was on his side.
这两个人常常吵架。有时甚至打起来,但斯莫里从未被打败。他拥有超人的力量,另外船长的妻子,一张男子化的面孔和光滑如男孩般的头发,也站在他这边。

He drank a terrible amount of vodka, but never became drunk. —
他喝了大量伏特加,但从不醉。 —

He beganto drink the first thing in the morning, consuming a whole bottle in fourgulps, and after that he sipped beer till close on evening. —
他早上第一件事就开始喝,四口就能消掉一整瓶,之后就一直啜饮啤酒,直到傍晚。 —

His face graduallygrew brown, his eyes widened.
他的脸逐渐变得黝黑,眼睛也变得更大。

Sometimes in the evening he sat for hours in the hatchway, looking largeand white, without breaking his silence, and his eyes were fixed gloomily onthe distant horizon. —
有时在晚上,他独自坐在舱口,看起来又大又白,不发一言,眼睛忧郁地盯着远处的地平线。 —

At those times they were all more afraid of him thanever, but I was sorry for him. —
这些时候他们比以往任何时候更害怕他了,但我却为他感到难过。 —

Jaakov Ivanich would come out from thekitchen, perspiring and glowing with the heat. —
雅科夫·伊万尼奇会走出厨房,满头大汗,因为被炉火烤得发红。 —

Scratching his bald skull andwaving his arm, he would take cover or say from a distance :
挠着光头,挥动着手臂,他会躲起来或者从远处说道:

  “The fish has gone off.”
“鱼都不要了。”

  “Well, there is the salted cabbage.”
“好吧,有腌白菜。”

  “But if they ask for fish-soup or boiled fish?”
“但如果他们要鱼汤或者煮鱼呢?”

  “It is ready. They can begin gobbling.”
“已经准备好了,他们可以开始大吃特吃。”

  Sometimes I plucked up courage to go to him. He looked at me heavily.
有时我鼓起勇气去找他。他沉重地看着我。

  “What do you want?”
“你要什么?”

  “Nothing.”
“没什么。”

  “Good.”
“好。”

  On one of these occasions, however, I asked him :
但就在其中一个场合,我问他:

  “Why is every one afraid of you? For you are good.”
“为什么每个人都怕你?因为你是好人。”

  Contrary to my expectations, he did not get angry.
令我意外的是,他并没有发火。

  “I am only good to you.”
“我只对你好。”

  But he added distinctly, simply, and thoughtfully :
但他添加道, 明显地, 简单地, 思索着:

“Yes, it is true that I am good to every one, only I do not show it. —
“是的,我对每个人都好,只是我不表现出来。” —

It doesnot do to show that to people, or they will be all over you. —
不能向人们展示那些,否则他们会纠缠你。 —

They will crawlover those who are kind as if they were mounds in a morass, and trample onthem. —
他们会对待善良的人如同泥沼中的小丘,将其践踏。 —

Go and get me some beer.”
“去给我拿点啤酒。”

  Having drunk the bottle, he sucked his mustache and said :
喝完酒,他吮吸着自己的胡子说:

“If you were older, my bird, I could teach you a lot. I have something tosay to a man. —
“如果你年纪再大点,我可以教你很多东西。我有话要对一个男人说。” —

I am no fool. But you must read books. In them you will find allyou need. —
我并不傻。但你必须阅读书籍。你会在其中找到所需一切。 —

They are not rubbish — books. Would you like some beer?”
书不是废物——书本。你想要点啤酒吗?

  “I don’t care for it.”
“我不喜欢。”

  “Good boy! And you do well not to drink it. Drunkenness is a misfortune.
“好孩子!你做的对不喝酒。醉酒是个不幸。

Vodka is the devil’s own business. If I were rich, I would spur you on tostudy. —
伏特加是魔鬼的事务。如果我富有,我会鼓励你学习。 —

An uninstructed man is an ox, fit for nothing but the yoke or to serveas meat. —
没有受过教育的人就像一头牛,除了挨犁或当肉外,无用之人。 —

All he can do is to wave his tail.”
他只能摇着尾巴。”

  The captain’s wife gave him a volume of Gogol. I read “The TerribleVengeance” and was delighted with it, but Smouri cried angrily :
船长的妻子给了他一卷果戈尔的著作。我读了《可怕的复仇》,对此感到高兴,但斯莫里愤怒地喊道:

  “Rubbish! A fairy-tale! I know. There are other books.”
“废话!一个童话!我知道。这里还有其他书。”

  He took the book away from me, obtained another one from the captain’swife, and ordered me harshly:
他从我手中拿走了那本书,从船长的妻子那里拿了另一本,严厉地命令我:

“Read Tarass’ — what do you call it? Find it! She says it is good; good forwhom? —
“读塔拉斯的——你叫它什么?找到它!她说它很好;好对谁? —

It may be good for her, but not for me, eh? She cuts her hair short. —
也许对她来说很好,但对我来说不好,对吧?她把头发剪短了。 —

Itis a pity her ears were not cut off too.”
可惜她的耳朵也没被割掉。”

  When Tarass called upon Ostap to fight, the cook laughed loudly.
当塔拉斯召唤奥斯塔普进行战斗时,厨师大声笑了。

“That’s the way! Of course! You have learning, but I have strength. —
“就这样!当然!你有学问,但我有力量。 —

Whatdo they say about it? Camels!”
人们怎么评价呢?骆驼!”

  He listened with great attention, but often grumbled:
他倾听得很认真,但经常抱怨:

“Rubbish! You couldn’t cut a man in half from his shoulders to hishaunches; —
“胡说!你切不断一个人从肩膀到腰部; —

it can’t be done. And you can’t thrust a pike upward; —
这是不可能的。你也刺不破一个长矛向上刺; —

it wouldbreak it. I have been a soldier myself.”
会折断它。我自己曾经是一名士兵。”

  Andrei’s treachery aroused his disgust.
安德烈的背叛引起了他的厌恶。

“There’s a mean creature, eh? Like women! —
“那是一个卑鄙的家伙,对吧?像女人一样! —

TfoorBut when Tarass killed his son, the cook let his feet slip from thehammock, bent himself double, and wept. —
呸”但当塔拉斯杀死他的儿子时,厨师让双脚从吊床上滑下来,弯腰弯腰,并哭泣。 —

The tears trickled down hischeeks, splashed upon the deck as he breathed stertorously and muttered :
眼泪顺着脸颊流下来,溅到甲板上,他呼吸困难地喃喃自语:

  “Oh, my God! my God!”
哦,我的上帝!我的上帝!”

  And suddenly he shouted to me :
突然,他对我大喊道:

  “Go on reading, you bone of the devil!”
“继续读吧,你这个魔鬼的骨头!”

  Again he wept, with even more violence and bitterness, when I read howOstaf cried out before his death, “Father, dost thou hear?’
再次阅读时,他哭得更加剧烈和痛苦,当我读到奥斯塔夫在临终前哭喊道:“父亲,你听到了吗?”

“Ruined utterly!” exclaimed Smouri. “Utterly! Is that the end? —
“完全毁了!” 史默里惊呼。“完全毁了!那就是结局吗?” —

EM/ Whatan accursed business! He was a man, that Tarass. —
天哪,这真是个被诅咒的事情!那个塔拉斯是个有胆识的男人。 —

What do you think? Yes, hewas a man.”
你觉得呢?是的,他是个有胆识的男人。

  He took the book out of my hands and looked at it with attention, lettinghis tears fall on its binding.
他将书从我手中拿过来,认真地看着它,让他的眼泪落在封皮上。

  “It is a fine book, a regular treat.”
“这是一本好书,真是一种享受。”

  After this we read “Ivanhoe.” Smouri was very pleased with RichardPlantagenet.
之后,我们读了《艾凡赫》,史默里非常喜欢理查德·普兰特吉内特。

  “That was a real king,’ he said impressively.
“那才是真正的国王,”他气势十足地说道。

  To me the book had appeared dry. In fact, our tastes did not agree at all.
至于我,这本书看起来很枯燥。事实上,我们的口味根本不一样。

  I had a great liking for “The Story of Thomas Jones,” an old translation of“The History of Tom Jones, Foundling,” but Smouri grumbled :
我十分喜欢《托马斯·琼斯的故事》,这是《汤姆·琼斯,寻找遗儿的历史》的一本旧译本,但史默里抱怨道:

  “Rubbish! What do I care about your Thomas? Of what use is he to me?
“废话!我为什么要在乎你的托马斯?他对我有什么用处?”

  There must be some other books.”
“必须还有其他书籍。”

One day I told him that I knew that there were other books, forbiddenbooks. —
有一天,我告诉他我知道还有其他书,被禁止的书籍。 —

One could read them only at night, in underground rooms. —
人们只能在夜晚,在地下室里读这些书。 —

He openedhis eyes wide.
他睁大了眼睛。

  “Wha-a-t’s that? Why do you tell me these lies?”
“这是什么?为什么你要告诉我这些谎言?”

  “I am not telling lies. The priest asked me about them when I went toconfession, and, for that matter,I myself have seen people reading them and crying over them.”
“我不是在说谎。牧师在我去忏悔时问过我这些,而且,事实上,我自己也见过人们读着它们哭泣。”

  The cook looked sternly in my face and asked :
厨师严肃地看着我的脸问道:

  “Who was crying ?”
“有人哭了吗?”

  “The lady who was listening, and the other actually ran away because shewas frightened.”
“听的那位女士哭了,另一位甚至因为害怕而跑开了。”

“You were asleep. You were dreaming,” said Smouri, slowly covering hiseyes, and after a silence he muttered: —
“你当时是在睡觉。你是在做梦。”Smouri说着,慢慢地遮住了眼睛,沉默片刻后喃喃自语道: —

“But of course there must besomething hidden from me somewhere. —
“但当然还一定有一些对我隐瞒的东西。 —

I am not so old as all that, and withmy character — well, however that may be —”
我还没老到那个地步,而且以我的性格 — 嗯,不管怎么说 —”

  He spoke to me eloquently for a whole hour.
他向我雄辩地讲述了整整一个小时。

Imperceptibly I acquired the habit of reading, and took up a book withpleasure. —
我潜移默化地养成了阅读的习惯,很享受拿起一本书阅读。 —

What I read therein was pleasantly different from life, which wasbecoming harder and harder for me.
我在其中读到的东西令人愉快地不同于生活,而我的生活变得越来越艰难。

  Smouri also recreated himself by reading, and often took me from mywork.
Smouri也通过阅读来放松自己,经常把我从工作中带开。

  “Pyeshkov, come and read.”
“Pyeshkov,来读书。”

  “I have a lot of washing up to do.”
“我有很多洗涤要做。”

  “Let Maxim wash up.”
“让马克西姆洗洗手。”

  He coarsely ordered the senior kitchen-helper to do my work, and thisman would break the glasses out of spite, while the chief steward told mequietly :
他粗鲁地命令厨房的资深助手来做我的工作,这人出于恶意打碎了玻璃杯,而总管则悄悄告诉我:“我会让你在船上下船。”

  “I shall have you put off the boat.”
“我会让你在船上下船。”

  One day Maxim on purpose placed several glasses in a bowl of dirtywater and tea-leaves. I emptied the water overboard, and the glasses wentflying with it.
有一天,马克西姆故意把几只玻璃杯放在一个装满脏水和茶叶的碗里。我把水倒在船外,玻璃杯也随着飞出去了。

  “It is my fault,” said Smouri to the head steward. “Put it down to myaccount.”
“这是我的错,”斯莫里对首席管家说。“记在我的账上。”

  The dining-room attendants began to look at me with lowering brows,and they used to say :
餐厅服务员开始用怀疑的眼神看着我,他们常说:“书呆子!你拿工资干嘛呢?”

  “Eil you bookworm! What are you paid for?”
“书呆子!你拿工资干嘛呢?”

And they used to try and make as much work as they could for me,soiling plates needlessly. —
他们尽量给我找更多活,故意弄脏盘子。 —

I was sure that this would end badly for me, and Iwas not mistaken.
我确信这对我会有不好的结局,我没有错。

One evening, in a little shelter on the boat, there sat a red-faced womanwith a girl in a yellow coat and a new pink blouse. —
一个晚上,在船上的一个小遮蓬里,坐着一个满脸通红的女人,旁边是一个穿着黄色外套和新粉色衬衫的女孩。 —

Both had been drinking.
她们两人都已经喝得醉醺醺了。

  The woman smiled, bowed to every one, and said on the note O, like a churchclerk:
“原谅我,朋友们;我有点喝多了。”

“Forgive me, my friends; I have had a little too much to drink. —
“原谅我,朋友们;我有点喝多了。” —

I havebeen tried and acquitted, and I have been drinking for joy.”
“我接受了审判并被宣判无罪,我为了快乐而喝酒。”

  The girl laughed, too, gazing at the other passengers with glazed eyes.
女孩也笑了,眼睛呆呆地望着其他乘客。

  Pushing the woman away, she said:
推开那位女性,她说道:

  “But you, you plaguy creature — we know you.”
“可是你,你这个讨厌的家伙 — — 我们认识你。”

  They had berths in the second-class cabin, opposite the cabin in whichJaakov Ivanich and Sergei slept.
他们在二等舱里有铺位,与雅科夫·伊万尼奇和谢尔盖睡觉的舱对面。

  The woman soon disappeared somewhere or other, and Sergei took herplace near the girl, greedily stretching his frog-like mouth.
这位女性很快就消失了,谢尔盖占据了她在女孩身边的位置,贪婪地伸展着他青蛙一样的嘴。

  That night, when I had finished my work and had laid myself down tosleep on the table, Sergei came to me, and seizing me by the arm, said:
那天晚上,当我完成工作,躺在桌子上准备睡觉时,谢尔盖走到我跟前,抓住我的胳膊,说道:

  “Come along! We are going to marry you.”
“走吧!我们要给你找个结婚对象。”

  He was drunk. I tried to tear my arm away from him, but he struck me.
他喝醉了。我试图挣脱他的胳膊,但他打了我一下。

  “Come along!”
“走吧!”

Maxim came running in, also drunk, and the two dragged me along thedeck to their cabin, past the sleeping passengers. —
麦斯姆跑了进来,也喝醉了,两个人把我拖到了甲板上,经过正在睡觉的乘客们。 —

But by the door of the cabinstood Smouri, and in the doorway, holding on to the jamb, Jaakov Ivanich.
但在小屋的门口站着斯穆里,门口,雅科夫·伊万尼奇抓住门框。

  The girl stuck her elbow in his back, and cried in a drunken voice:
女孩用胳膊肘顶着他的背,以醉醺醺的声音喊道:

  “Make way!”
“让开!”

Smouri got me out of the hands of Sergei and Maxim, seized them by thehair, and, knocking their heads together, moved away. —
斯穆里把我从谢尔盖和麦斯姆手中救了出来,抓住他们的头发,把他们的头撞在一起,然后移开。 —

They both fell down.
他们俩都倒在地上。

“Asiatic!” he said to Jaakov, slamming the door on him. —
“亚洲人!”他对雅科夫说,将门猛地关上。 —

Then he roaredas he pushed me along:
然后他咆哮着把我推走:

  “Get out of this!”
“滚开!”

I ran to the stern. The night was cloudy, the river black. —
我跑到船尾。夜晚多云,河水黑沉。 —

In the wake ofthe boat seethed two gray lines of water leading to the invisible shore; —
船尾后面,两道灰色的水痕通向看不见的岸边; —

between these two lines the barge dragged on its way. —
在这两道水痕之间,驳船沿着航道前行。 —

Now on the right, nowon the left appeared red patches of light, without illuminating anything. —
现在右边,现在左边出现了红色的光斑,却没有照亮任何东西。 —

Theydisappeared, hidden by the sudden winding of the shore. —
它们消失了,被急转弯的岸边遮挡住了。 —

After this it becamestill darker and more gruesome.
之后变得更加黑暗和可怕。

  The cook came and sat beside me, sighed deeply, and pulled at hiscigarette.
厨师走过来坐在我旁边,深深地叹了口气,抽着烟。

  “So they were taking you to that creature? Ekh! Dirty beasts! I heardthem trying.”
“他们要把你带到那个怪物那里吗?嘿!龌龊的家伙们!我听到了他们的阴谋。”

  “Did you take her away from them?”
“你把她从他们那里救出来了吗?”

  “Her?” He abused the girl coarsely, and continued in a sad tone :
“她?”他粗暴地侮辱那个女孩,然后用悲伤的语气继续说:

“It is all nastiness here. This boat is worse than a village. —
“这里全是龌龊。这艘船比一个村庄还要糟糕。 —

Have you everlived in a village?”
你住过村庄吗?”

  “No.”
“没有。”

  “In a village there is nothing but misery, especially in the winter.”
在一个村庄里,除了冬天特别悲惨之外什么都没有。

  Throwing his cigarette overboard, he was silent. Then he spoke again.
他把香烟扔进水里,沉默了一阵。然后又开口说道。

“You have fallen among a herd of swine, and I am sorry for you, my littleone. —
“你们掉到了一群猪里,我为你难过,我的小孩。 —

I am sorry for all of them, too. Another time I do not know what Ishould have done. —
我也为他们所有人感到难过。另一次我不知道我该怎么办。 —

Gone on my knees and prayed. What are you doing, sonsof ? —
跪下来祈祷吧。你们在干什么,儿子们? —

What are you doing, blind creatures? Camels!”
你们在干什么,盲目的家伙?骆驼!

The steamer gave a long-drawn-out hoot, the tow-rope splashed in thewater, the lights of lanterns jumped up and down, showing where the harborwas. —
汽船发出长长的鸣笛声,拖绳在水中溅起水花,灯笼的光明跳来跳去,显示出港口的位置。 —

Out of the darkness more lights appeared.
黑暗中更多的灯光浮现出来。

“Pyani Bor [a certain pine forest]. Drunk,” growled the cook. —
“醉酒森林[Pyanu Bor]。”厨子嘟囔着。 —

“And thereis a river called Pyanaia, and there was a captain called Pyenkov, and a writercalled Zapivokhin, and yet another captain called Nepeipivo.3 I am going onshore.”
“还有一个叫做醉酒河的,还有一个叫做皮安科夫的船长,还有一个叫做扎皮沃欣的作家,还有另一个叫做涅佩伊皮沃的船长。我要在岸上。”

3 Pyanaia means “drunk,” and the other names mentioned come from thesame root. —
皮安涅意为“醉酒”,其他提到的名字都来自同一个词根。 —

Nepeipivo means, “Do not drink beer.”
“不要喝啤酒”意为涅佩伊皮沃。

  The coarse-grained women and girls of Kamska dragged logs of woodfrom the shore in long trucks. Bending under their load-straps, with pliabletread, they arrived in pairs at the stoker’s hold, and, emptying their sootyloads into the black hole, cried ringingly:
卡姆斯卡的粗俗妇女和姑娘们用长滑板拖着木头从岸边过来。身躯弯曲着,伸展着脚步,他们成双成对抵达炉工库房,把黑乎乎的木料倾倒进黑洞里,高亢地喊着:

  “Logs!”
“木头!”

When they brought the wood the sailors would take hold of them by thebreasts or the legs. —
当她们拿来木头时,水手们会抓住她们的胸部或腿部。 —

The women squealed, spat at the men, turned back, anddefended themselves against pinches and blows with their trucks. —
妇女们尖叫着,朝男人吐口水,转身用推车抵抗被捏和袭击。 —

I saw thisa hundred times, on every voyage and at every land-stage where they took inwood, and it was always the same thing.
我见过这种情景太多次了,在每次航行和每个装货木材的地方都是一样的。

  I felt as if I were old, as if I had lived on that boat for many years, andknew what would happen in a week’s time, in the autumn, in a year.
我觉得好像自己很老了,好像在那艘船上生活了很多年,知道一周后会发生什么,在秋天,在一年后。

It was daylight now. On a sandy promontory above the harbor stood outa forest of fir-trees. —
现在天已经亮了。在港口上面的一个沙岬上,一片长满冷杉的森林显现出来。 —

On the hills and through the forests women wentlaughing and singing. —
在山丘上,通过森林,妇女们笑着唱着走去。 —

They looked like soldiers as they pushed their longtrucks.
他们推着长推车看起来像士兵。

I wanted to weep. The tears seethed in my breast; my heart wasoverflowing with them. —
我想哭。眼泪在我胸中翻腾;我的心里充满了它们。 —

It was painful. But it would be shameful to cry, and Iwent to help the sailor Blyakhin wash the deck.
这很痛苦。但哭泣会很丢脸,于是我去帮助水手布利亚金洗甲板。

Blyakhin was an insignificant-looking man. —
布利亚金看起来不起眼。 —

He had a withered, fadedlook about him, and always stowed himself away in corners, whence hissmall, bright eyes shone.
他给人一种干枯、褪色的感觉,总是藏在角落里,他那只小小的明亮的眼睛从那里闪闪发光。

“My proper surname is not Blyakhin, but because, you see, my motherwas a loose woman. —
“我的真姓并不是布利亚金,但是你知道,我的母亲是一个放荡的女人。 —

I have a sister, and she also. That happened to be theirdestiny. —
我有一个姐姐,她也是。那就是她们的命运。 —

Destiny, my brother, is an anchor for all of us. —
命运,我的兄弟,是我们所有人的锚。 —

You want to go in onedirection, but wait!”
你想去一个方向,但等等!”

  And now, as he swabbed the deck, he said softly to me:
现在,当他拖着甲板时,他轻声对我说:

“You see what a lot of harm women do! There it is. —
“你看见女人们带来多少伤害!就在那里。 —

Damp wood smoldersfor a long time and then bursts into flame. —
湿木头会缓缓燃烧很久,然后突然燃烧起来。 —

I don’t care for that sort of thingmyself; it does not interest me. —
我自己不喜欢那种事情;我对它没兴趣。 —

And if I had been born a woman, I shouldhave drowned myself in a black pool. —
如果我生为女人,我应该会溺死在一个黑池中。 —

I should have been safe then with HolyChrist, and could do no one any harm. —
那时我将安全地与圣基督在一起,不会对任何人造成任何伤害。 —

But while one is here there is alwaysthe chance of kindling a fire. —
但在这里总有点燃火焰的可能。 —

Eunuchs are no fools, I assure you. They areclever people, they are good at divination, they put aside all small things andserve God alone — cleanly.”
阉人不是傻瓜,我向你保证。他们是聪明的,他们擅长卜卦,他们放下一切琐事,只侍奉上帝 —— 清洁地。”

The captain’s wife passed us, holding her skirts high as she came throughthe pools of water. —
船长的妻子从我们身边走过,提起裙摆来穿过水坑。 —

Tall and well built, she had a simple, bright face. —
高大而健碧,她有一张简单而明亮的脸。 —

I wantedto run after her and beg her from my heart :
我想追着她跑过去,从心底恳求她:

  “Say something to me! Say something!”
“对我说点什么!对我说点什么!”

  The boat drew slowly away from the pier. Blyakhin crossed himself andsaid :
船慢慢地离开了码头。布里亚金十字交叉在胸前说:

  “We are off!”
“我们出发了!”