YOU know the tale of poor Little Red Riding-hood, that the Wolf deceived and devoured, with her cake, her little butter can, and her Grandmother; —
你知道可怜的小红帽的故事,狼欺骗并吞噬了她,连同她的蛋糕、小黄油罐和她的祖母一起。 —

well, the true story happened quite differently, as we know now. —
然而,事实的真相却完全不同,正如我们现在所知道的。 —

And first of all the little girl was called and is still called Little Golden-hood; —
首先,这个小女孩叫做小金帽,至今如此。 —

secondly, it was not she, nor the good grand-dame, but the wicked Wolf who was, in the end, caught and devoured.
其次,最终被捕并吃掉的不是她,也不是善良的祖奶奶,而是邪恶的狼。

Only listen.
请听我细细道来。

The story begins something like the tale.
故事开始有点像童话。

There was once a little peasant girl, pretty and nice as a star in its season. —
曾经有一个小农家女孩,漂亮而美丽,如同季节中的一颗星星。 —

Her real name was Blanchette, but she was more often called Little Golden-hood, on account of a wonderful little cloak with a hood, gold — and fire-coloured, which she always had on. —
她的真名叫布兰莎特,但人们往往称她为小金帽,因为她总是穿着一件有着帽子的奇妙斗篷,金色和火色交织。 —

This little hood was given her by her Grandmother, who was so old that she did not know her age; —
这件小帽子是她的奶奶给她的,她的奶奶年纪太大,记不清自己多大了。 —

it ought to bring her good luck, for it was made of a ray of sunshine, she said. —
奶奶说这件帽子会给她带来好运,因为它是由一缕阳光制成的。 —

And as the good old woman was considered something of a witch, everyone thought the little hood rather bewitched too.
既然这位老妇人被认为是个女巫,大家也认为小红帽有点被施了魔法。

And so it was, as you will see.
正如你将会看到的,事情是这样的。

One day the mother said to the child: ‘Let us see, my little Golden-hood, if you know now how to find your way by yourself. —
有一天,母亲对孩子说:“让我们看看,我的小金帽子,你现在是否知道怎么独自找到路了呢? —

You shall take this good piece of cake to your Grandmother for a Sunday treat to-morrow. —
你要拿这块好吃的蛋糕给你奶奶,作为明天的周日的享受。 —

You will ask her how she is, and come back at once, without stopping to chatter on the way with people you don’t know. —
你要问她身体如何,并立刻回来,不要在路上和陌生人聊天。 —

Do you quite understand?’
你明白吗?”

‘I quite understand,’ replied Blanchette gaily. —
“我完全明白,”布兰切特快乐地回答道。 —

And off she went with the cake, quite proud of her errand.
她带着蛋糕出发了,对自己的使命感到非常自豪。

But the Grandmother lived in another village, and there was a big wood to cross before getting there. —
但是奶奶住在另一个村庄,中间有一片大森林要穿越才能到达那里。 —

At a turn of the road under the trees, suddenly ‘Who goes there?’
在树下的弯道处,突然传来了“你是谁?”

‘Friend Wolf.’
“是友人狼。”

He had seen the child start alone, and the villain was waiting to devour her; —
他看到孩子独自出发,恶棍正在等着吞食她。 —

when at the same moment he perceived some wood-cutters who might observe him, and he changed his mind. —
就在他感觉到有些伐木工人可能会看到他的时候,他改变了主意。 —

Instead of falling upon Blanchette he came frisking up to her like a good dog.
他没有扑向布兰切特,而是像只好狗一样跳到她身边。

‘ ’Tis you! my nice Little Golden-hood,’ said he. —
“是你呀!我的可爱的小金帽。”他说道。 —

So the little girl stops to talk with the Wolf, who, for all that, she did not know in the least.
于是,小姑娘就停下来和狼聊天,尽管她完全不认识它。

‘You know me, then!’ said she; ‘what is your name?’
“那你认识我了!”她说,“你叫什么名字?”

‘My name is friend Wolf. And where are you going thus, my pretty one, with your little basket on your arm?’
“我叫友善的狼。你这么漂亮,手臂上还拿着一个篮子,要去哪儿呢?”

‘I am going to my Grandmother, to take her a good piece of cake for her Sunday treat to-morrow.’
“我要去看我奶奶,给她带一块好的蛋糕,明天是她的星期天好吃的。”

‘And where does she live, your Grandmother?’
‘她住在哪里,你的奶奶?’

‘She lives at the other side of the wood, in the first house in the village, near the windmill, you know.’
‘她住在木头的另一边,在村子里的第一幢房子,靠近风车,你知道的。’

‘Ah! yes! I know now,’ said the Wolf. ‘Well, that’s just where I’m going; —
‘啊!是的!我明白了,’狼说道。‘那就是我要去的地方; —

I shall get there before you, no doubt, with your little bits of legs, and I’ll tell her you’re coming to see her; —
我肯定会比你走得快,你的小短腿,我会告诉她你要来看她; —

then she’ll wait for you.’
然后她会等你的。’

Thereupon the Wolf cuts across the wood, and in five minutes arrives at the Grandmother’s house.
于是狼穿过树林,在五分钟内就到了奶奶的房子。

He knocks at the door: toc, toc.
他敲门:咚,咚。

No answer.
没有回应。

He knocks louder.
他更用力地敲。

Nobody.
没有人。

Then he stands up on end, puts his two fore-paws on the latch and the door opens.
然后他竖起身子,用前爪按住门闩,门打开了。

Not a soul in the house.
房子里没人。

The old woman had risen early to sell herbs in the town, and she had gone off in such haste that she had left her bed unmade, with her great night-cap on the pillow.
老太太早起去城里卖草药,匆忙离开时把床没收拾好,枕头上还放着她的大睡帽。

‘Good!’ said the Wolf to himself, ‘I know what I’ll do.’
‘很好!’狼对自己说,‘我知道该怎么办了。’

He shuts the door, pulls on the Grandmother’s night-cap down to his eyes, then he lies down all his length in the bed and draws the curtains.
他关上门,将奶奶的帽子拉到眼睛上,然后躺在床上拉上窗帘。

In the meantime the good Blanchette went quietly on her way, as little girls do, amusing herself here and there by picking Easter daisies, watching the little birds making their nests, and running after the butterflies which fluttered in the sunshine.
与此同时,小布兰切特乖巧地走着,像小女孩一样,在这里那里地寻找复活节雏菊、观察小鸟筑巢,并追逐在阳光下飞舞的蝴蝶来消磨时间。

At last she arrives at the door.
最后,她到达了门口。

Knock, knock.
叩叩。

‘Who is there?’ says the Wolf, softening his rough voice as best he can.
“谁在那?”大灰狼尽量用柔和的声音问道。

‘It’s me, Granny, your little Golden-hood. —
“是我,奶奶,你的小金帽。” —

I’m bringing you a big piece of cake for your Sunday treat to-morrow.’
“我给你带来了一块大蛋糕,作为明天星期天的享受。”

‘Press your finger on the latch, then push and the door opens.’
“按压门闩,然后推门,门就会打开。”

‘Why, you’ve got a cold, Granny,’ said she, coming in.
“噢,你感冒了,奶奶。”她走了进去。

‘Ahem! a little, a little …’ replies the Wolf, pretending to cough. —
“啊呵!有一点点……”大灰狼假装咳嗽。 —

‘Shut the door well, my little lamb. Put your basket on the table, and then take off your frock and come and lie down by me: —
“好好地关上门,我的小羊羔。把篮子放在桌子上,然后脱下你的连衣裙来躺在我旁边。” —

you shall rest a little.’
你应该休息一下。

The good child undresses, but observe this! She kept her little hood upon her head. —
乖孩子脱了衣服,但要注意!她把小帽子戴在头上。 —

When she saw what a figure her Granny cut in bed, the poor little thing was much surprised.
当她看到奶奶在床上摆出的模样时,可怜的小东西感到很惊讶。

‘Oh!’ cries she, ‘how like you are to friend Wolf, Grandmother!’
她喊道:“哦!你真像狼朋友奶奶!”

‘That’s on account of my night-cap, child,’ replies the Wolf.
狼回答说:“这是因为我的睡帽,孩子。”

‘Oh! what hairy arms you’ve got, Grandmother!’
“哦!你有多毛的胳膊,奶奶!”

‘All the better to hug you, my child.’
“越毛越好抱住你,孩子。”

‘Oh! what a big tongue you’ve got, Grandmother!’
“哦!你有多大的舌头,奶奶!”

‘All the better for answering, child.’
“越大越好回答问题,孩子。”

‘Oh! what a mouthful of great white teeth you have, Grandmother!’
“哦!你有多大一口洁白的大牙齿,奶奶!”

‘That’s for crunching little children with! —
“那是用来啃小孩子的!” —

‘And the Wolf opened his jaws wide to swallow Blanchette.
“狼张开嘴巴要吞下白兰切特。”

But she put down her head crying:
“但是她低下了头喊道:‘妈妈!妈妈!’,狼只咬住她的小帽子。”

‘Mamma! Mamma!’ and the Wolf only caught her little hood.
“结果,哦天哪!天哪!它退缩了,嘴里像吞下了烂石头一样地嘶嘶作响。”

Thereupon, oh dear! oh dear! he draws back, crying and shaking his jaw as if he had swallowed red-hot coals.
“于是,哦天啊!它倒退着,抖动着颚骨,嘴里好像吞下了烫人的煤炭。”

It was the little fire-coloured hood that had burnt his tongue right down his throat.
正是那顶火焰般的小头巾烧掉了他的舌头。

The little hood, you see, was one of those magic caps that they used to have in former times, in the stories, for making oneself invisible or invulnerable.
你知道,那顶小头巾,是从前的故事中出现的一种魔法帽子,可以使人变得隐形或者无敌。

So there was the Wolf with his throat burnt, jumping off the bed and trying to find the door, howling and howling as if all the dogs in the country were at his heels.
于是,狼的喉咙被烧伤了,他从床上跳了下来,想找门的方向,嚎叫着,好像全国的狗都在追逐他。

Just at this moment the Grandmother arrives, returning from the town with her long sack empty on her shoulder.
正好这时候奶奶回来了,从镇上带着一大袋空的肩背。

‘Ah, brigand!’ she cries, ‘wait a bit! —
‘啊,强盗!“她喊道,’等一等! —

’ Quickly she opens her sack wide across the door, and the maddened Wolf springs in head downwards.
她迅速地打开袋子,把它放在门口,那只发疯的狼头朝下地跳了进去。

It is he now that is caught, swallowed like a letter in the post.
如今反被她抓到了,就像一封信被邮递进去。

For the brave old dame shuts her sack, so; —
勇敢的老太太把袋子合上来,就像这样; —

and she runs and empties it in the well, where the vagabond, still howling, tumbles in and is drowned.
她跑到井边把袋子倒进去,那只还在嚎叫的浪子从中滚了下去,淹死了。

‘Ah, scoundrel! you thought you would crunch my little grandchild! —
‘啊,恶棍! 你以为你能咬碎我的小孙子! —

Well, to-morrow we will make her a muff of your skin, and you yourself shall be crunched, for we will give your carcass to the dogs.’
嗯,明天我们将用你的皮做一只袖圈,你自己会被撕碎,我们会把你的尸体给狗。

Thereupon the Grandmother hastened to dress poor Blanchette, who was still trembling with fear in the bed.
于是奶奶赶紧给还在床上颤抖的布兰奇特穿上衣服。

‘Well,’ she said to her, ‘without my little hood where would you be now, darling? —
‘嗯,’ 奶奶对她说道,’没有我的小帽子,亲爱的,你现在会怎样呢? —

’ And, to restore heart and legs to the child, she made her eat a good piece of her cake, and drink a good draught of wine, after which she took her by the hand and led her back to the house.
为了让孩子恢复勇气和力气,奶奶给她吃了一块好块蛋糕并喝了一大口酒,然后拉着她的手把她带回了房子。

And then, who was it who scolded her when she knew all that had happened?
那么,是谁知道发生了什么事后责备她呢?

It was the mother.
是妈妈。

But Blanchette promised over and over again that she would never more stop to listen to a Wolf, so that at last the mother forgave her.
但是布兰奇特一次又一次地保证再也不会停下来听狼的话,所以最后妈妈原谅了她。

And Blanchette, the Little Golden-hood, kept her word. —
布兰奇特,小金帽,信守了自己的承诺。 —

And in fine weather she may still be seen in the fields with her pretty little hood, the colour of the sun.
在晴朗的天气里,你仍然可以看到她在田野里戴着她漂亮的小帽子,这帽子的颜色就像太阳一样。

But to see her you must rise early.
但是要看到她,你必须起得早。