“This is a terrible thing, ” he said, the moment we got out into the street.
“这是一件可怕的事情,”他说,我们一走出街上。

I realised that he had come away with me in order to discuss once more what he had been already discussing for hours with his sister-in-law.
我意识到他跟我走是为了再次讨论他已经和他的弟媳讨论了几个小时的事情。

“We don’t know who the woman is, you know, ” he said. —
“我们不知道那个女人是谁,”他说。 —

“All we know is that the blackguard’s gone to Paris. “
“我们只知道那个恶棍去了巴黎。”

“I thought they got on so well. “
“我以为他们相处得很好。”

“So they did. Why, just before you came in Amy said they’d never had a quarrel in the whole of their married life. —
“他们确实相处得很好。为什么,就在你进来之前,艾米说他们结婚以来从未吵过架。 —

You know Amy. There never was a better woman in the world. “
你了解艾米。世界上再也找不到比她更好的女人了。”

Since these confidences were thrust on me, I saw no harm in asking a few questions.
既然这些秘密被强加给我,我认为问几个问题也没什么坏处。

“But do you mean to say she suspected nothing?”
“但你难道不是说她什么都没怀疑吗?”

“Nothing. He spent August with her and the children in Norfolk. —
“一点都没有。他8月份和她和孩子们在诺福克度过。 —

He was just the same as he’d always been. —
他和往常一样。 —

We went down for two or three days, my wife and I, and I played golf with him. —
我们一起去了两三天,我和我妻子,我和他一起打高尔夫球。 —

He came back to town in September to let his partner go away, and Amy stayed on in the country. —
他9月份回到城里让他的合伙人休息,艾米留在了乡下。 —

They’d taken a house for six weeks, and at the end of her tenancy she wrote to tell him on which day she was arriving in London. —
他们租了一栋房子,租期结束时她写信告诉他她什么时候到伦敦。 —

He answered from Paris. He said he’d made up his mind not to live with her any more. “
他从巴黎回信。他说他决定不再和她住在一起。”

“What explanation did he give?”
“他给出了什么解释?”

“My dear fellow, he gave no explanation. I’ve seen the letter. It wasn’t more than ten lines. “
“我亲爱的朋友,他没有给出任何解释。我看过那封信。不超过十行。”

“But that’s extraordinary. “
“但那太不可思议了。”

We happened then to cross the street, and the traffic prevented us from speaking. —
我们当时刚好穿过马路,交通堵塞了我们的交谈。 —

What Colonel MacAndrew had told me seemed very improbable, and I suspected that Mrs. Strickland, for reasons of her own, had concealed from him some part of the facts. —
“麦克安德鲁上校告诉我的事情似乎很不可思议,我怀疑斯特里克兰太太出于某些原因,向他隐瞒了部分事实。” —

It was clear that a man after seventeen years of wedlock did not leave his wife without certain occurrences which must have led her to suspect that all was not well with their married life. —
“显然,一个结婚十七年之后离开妻子的男人,一定经历了某些事件,这些事件必然让她怀疑他们的婚姻生活出了问题。” —

The Colonel caught me up.
上校赶上我。

“Of course, there was no explanation he could give except that he’d gone off with a woman. —
当然,他除了说自己跟一个女人走了之外,没有别的解释可以给。 —

I suppose he thought she could find that out for herself. —
我想他认为她可以自己找出答案。 —

That’s the sort of chap he was. “
那就是他的性格。

“What is Mrs. Strickland going to do?”
Strickland太太会怎么做呢?

“Well, the first thing is to get our proofs. I’m going over to Paris myself. “
嗯,首要任务是获取我们的证据。我自己要去巴黎一趟。

“And what about his business?”
那他的生意怎么办呢?

“That’s where he’s been so artful. He’s been drawing in his horns for the last year. “
他在这方面表现得相当巧妙。过去一年他一直在减少投入。

“Did he tell his partner he was leaving?”
他告诉他的合伙人他要离开了吗?

“Not a word. “
一句话也没说。

Colonel MacAndrew had a very sketchy knowledge of business matters, and I had none at all, so I did not quite understand under what conditions Strickland had left his affairs. —
MacAndrew上校对商业事务知之甚少,而我则一窍不通,所以我并没有完全理解Strickland离开其事务的具体情况。 —

I gathered that the deserted partner was very angry and threatened proceedings. —
我得知被遗弃的合作伙伴非常生气,并威胁要采取法律行动。 —

It appeared that when everything was settled he would be four or five hundred pounds out of pocket.
似乎在一切都解决之后,他将亏损四五百英镑。

“It’s lucky the furniture in the flat is in Amy’s name. She’ll have that at all events. “
幸好公寓里的家具登记在Amy的名下。她至少会有这些。

“Did you mean it when you said she wouldn’t have a bob?”
你说她一个子儿也不会有,是认真的吗?

“Of course I did. She’s got two or three hundred pounds and the furniture. “
当然是的。她有两三百英镑和家具。

“But how is she going to live?”
“她要怎么活下去呢?”

“God knows. “
“只有上帝知道。”

The affair seemed to grow more complicated, and the Colonel, with his expletives and his indignation, confused rather than informed me. —
那桩风流韵事似乎变得更加复杂,上校用他的粗言秽语和愤怒,反而让我更加困惑而不是了解情况。 —

I was glad that, catching sight of the clock at the Army and Navy Stores, he remembered an engagement to play cards at his club, and so left me to cut across St. James Park.
我很高兴他看到了陆军和海军商店的时钟,想起了在他俱乐部打牌的约会,于是离开我穿过圣詹姆斯公园。