I kept silence for a little while, thinking of what Stroeve had told me. —
我保持沉默片刻,思考着斯特罗夫告诉我的事情。 —

I could not stomach his weakness, and he saw my disapproval. —
我无法容忍他的软弱,他看出了我的不满。 —

“You know as well as I do how Strickland lived, ” he said tremulously. —
“你和我一样清楚斯特里克兰的生活方式,”他颤声说道。 —

“I couldn’t let her live in those circumstances – I simply couldn’t. “
“我不能让她在那种环境下生活—我就是不能。”

“That’s your business, ” I answered.
“那是你的事,”我回答道。

“What would you have done?” he asked.
“如果是你,你会怎么做呢?”他问道。

“She went with her eyes open. If she had to put up with certain inconveniences it was her own lookout. “
“她是有意愿的。如果她不得不忍受一些不便,那是她自己的事。”

“Yes; but, you see, you don’t love her. “
“是的,但你看,你并不爱她。”

“Do you love her still?”
“你还爱她吗?”

“Oh, more than ever. Strickland isn’t the man to make a woman happy. —
“哦,比以往任何时候都更多。斯特里克兰不是能让一个女人幸福的男人。 —

It can’t last. I want her to know that I shall never fail her. “
这是不会长久的。我想让她知道我永远不会辜负她。”

“Does that mean that you’re prepared to take her back?”
“这意味着你愿意接她回来吗?”

“I shouldn’t hesitate. Why, she’ll want me more than ever then. —
“我不会犹豫。为什么呢,到那时她会比以往任何时候更需要我。 —

When she’s alone and humiliated and broken it would be dreadful if she had nowhere to go. “
当她孤独、羞辱和心碎时,如果她没有地方可去,那将是可怕的。”

He seemed to bear no resentment. I suppose it was commonplace in me that I felt slightly outraged at his lack of spirit. —
他似乎没有怨恨。我想,对于我来说,稍微感到愤怒,是因为他缺乏斗志。 —

Perhaps he guessed what was in my mind, for he said:
也许他猜透了我的心思,因为他说:

“I couldn’t expect her to love me as I loved her. I’m a buffoon. —
“我不能指望她像我爱她那样爱我。我是个傻瓜。 —

I’m not the sort of man that women love. I’ve always known that. —
我不是那种女人会爱上的男人。我一直都知道这一点。 —

I can’t blame her if she’s fallen in love with Strickland. “
如果她爱上了斯特里克兰,我也不能怪她。”

“You certainly have less vanity than any man I’ve ever known, ” I said.
“你确实比我认识的任何男人都不爱虚荣,”我说。

“I love her so much better than myself. It seems to me that when vanity comes into love it can only be because really you love yourself best. —
“我比自己更爱她。在我看来,爱情中如果有虚荣,那只能是因为你实际上更爱自己。 —

After all, it constantly happens that a man when he’s married falls in love with somebody else; —
毕竟,经常发生一个男人结婚后会爱上别人; —

when he gets over it he returns to his wife, and she takes him back, and everyone thinks it very natural. —
当他克服这种感情后回到妻子身边,而且她会接受他,每个人都会认为这很自然。 —

Why should it be different with women?”
为什么对女人不应该有这样的情况呢?”

“I dare say that’s logical, ” I smiled, “but most men are made differently, and they can’t. “
“我敢说这很合乎逻辑,”我微笑说道,”但大多数男人都是不同的,他们做不到。”

But while I talked to Stroeve I was puzzling over the suddenness of the whole affair. —
但在与斯特罗夫交谈时,我一直在思考整个事件的突然发生。 —

I could not imagine that he had had no warning. —
我无法想象他没有任何预警。 —

I remembered the curious look I had seen in Blanche Stroeve’s eyes; —
我记得我在布兰奇·斯特罗夫的眼中看到的奇怪表情; —

perhaps its explanation was that she was growing dimly conscious of a feeling in her heart that surprised and alarmed her.
也许它的解释是她在心中模糊意识到一个令她惊讶和担忧的感觉。

“Did you have no suspicion before to-day that there was anything between them?” I asked.
“在今天之前你没有怀疑过他们之间有什么吗?”我问道。

He did not answer for a while. There was a pencil on the table, and unconsciously he drew a head on the blotting-paper.
他沉默了一会儿。桌子上有一支铅笔,他下意识地在吸墨纸上画了一个头。

“Please say so, if you hate my asking you questions, ” I said.
“如果你讨厌我问问题,请告诉我,”我说。

“It eases me to talk. Oh, if you knew the frightful anguish in my heart. —
“讲出来会让我感到轻松。哦,如果你知道我内心的可怕痛苦。 —

” He threw the pencil down. “Yes, I’ve known it for a fortnight. —
“他把铅笔扔了下去。”是的,我已经知道两周了。 —

I knew it before she did. “
我比她更早知道。

“Why on earth didn’t you send Strickland packing?”
“天啊,你为什么不把 Strickland 赶走呢?”

“I couldn’t believe it. It seemed so improbable. She couldn’t bear the sight of him. —
“我无法相信。这看起来太不可思议了。她无法忍受看到他。 —

It was more than improbable; it was incredible. I thought it was merely jealousy. —
这不仅不可思议,而且难以置信。我以为只是嫉妒。 —

You see, I’ve always been jealous, but I trained myself never to show it; —
你知道,我一直很嫉妒,但我培养自己永远不要表现出来; —

I was jealous of every man she knew; I was jealous of you. —
我对她认识的每一个男人都感到嫉妒;我也嫉妒你。 —

I knew she didn’t love me as I loved her. That was only natural, wasn’t it? —
我知道她不像我爱她那样爱我。那很自然,不是吗? —

But she allowed me to love her, and that was enough to make me happy. —
但她允许我爱她,这足以让我感到幸福。 —

I forced myself to go out for hours together in order to leave them by themselves; —
我强迫自己出去几个小时,让他们独处; —

I wanted to punish myself for suspicions which were unworthy of me; —
我想惩罚自己对我不值得的猜疑; —

and when I came back I found they didn’t want me – not Strickland, he didn’t care if I was there or not, but Blanche. —
当我回来时,我发现他们不需要我 —— 不是 Strickland,他不在乎我在不在,而是 Blanche。 —

She shuddered when I went to kiss her. When at last I was certain I didn’t know what to do; —
当我试图亲吻她时,她打了一个寒颤。最终,我确定我不知道该怎么做; —

I knew they’d only laugh at me if I made a scene. —
我知道如果我大吵大闹,他们只会笑我; —

I thought if I held my tongue and pretended not to see, everything would come right. —
我想如果我忍着不说,假装没有看到,一切都会好起来; —

I made up my mind to get him away quietly, without quarrelling. —
我决定悄悄把他拉走,不吵不闹; —

Oh, if you only knew what I’ve suffered!”
噢,如果你知道我受了多少苦!”;

Then he told me again of his asking Strickland to go. —
然后他又告诉我,他请求史特里克兰去; —

He chose his moment carefully, and tried to make his request sound casual; —
他精心选择了时机,试图让他的请求听起来很随意; —

but he could not master the trembling of his voice; —
但他无法控制他颤抖的声音; —

and he felt himself that into words that he wished to seem jovial and friendly there crept the bitterness of his jealousy. —
他自己也感到,尽管他希望听起来轻松和友好,但他所说的话里夹杂着嫉妒的苦涩; —

He had not expected Strickland to take him up on the spot and make his preparations to go there and then; —
他没想到史特里克兰会当场答应,并立即准备动身去; —

above all, he had not expected his wife’s decision to go with him. —
最重要的是,他没想到他的妻子决定和他一起去; —

I saw that now he wished with all his heart that he had held his tongue. —
我看到现在他全心希望自己当初闭嘴就好了; —

He preferred the anguish of jealousy to the anguish of separation.
他宁愿忍受嫉妒的痛苦,也不愿承受分别的煎熬;

“I wanted to kill him, and I only made a fool of myself. “
“我想要杀了他,结果只是让自己变成了个傻瓜。”;

He was silent for a long time, and then he said what I knew was in his mind.
他沉默了很长一段时间,然后说出了他心中所想的。

“If I’d only waited, perhaps it would have gone all right. —
“如果我只是等待了,也许一切会好起来。” —

I shouldn’t have been so impatient. Oh, poor child, what have I driven her to?”
“我不应该那么心急。噢,可怜的孩子,我把她推向了何地?”

I shrugged my shoulders, but did not speak. —
“我耸了耸肩,但没有说话。” —

I had no sympathy for Blanche Stroeve, but knew that it would only pain poor Dirk if I told him exactly what I thought of her.
“我对布兰奇·斯特罗夫没有同情心,但我知道如果我告诉迪克我真正认为她,只会让可怜的迪克痛苦。”

He had reached that stage of exhaustion when he could not stop talking. —
“他已经达到那种无法停止交谈的疲惫阶段。” —

He went over again every word of the scene. —
“他再一次回想起那场景中的每一个词。” —

Now something occurred to him that he had not told me before; —
“现在他想起了一些之前没有告诉我;” —

now he discussed what he ought to have said instead of what he did say; —
“然后他讨论他应该说什么,而不是他说了什么;” —

then he lamented his blindness. He regretted that he had done this, and blamed himself that he had omitted the other. —
“然后他悲叹自己的盲目。他后悔做了这个,责怪自己忽略了另一个。” —

It grew later and later, and at last I was as tired as he.
“时间一分分过去,最后我和他一样累了。”

“What are you going to do now?” I said finally.
“你现在打算做什么?”我最终说道。

“What can I do? I shall wait till she sends for me. “
“我能做什么?我会等到她派人叫我。”

“Why don’t you go away for a bit?”
“为什么不离开一会儿?”

“No, no; I must be at hand when she wants me. “
“不,不;当她需要我的时候,我必须在身边。”

For the present he seemed quite lost. He had made no plans. —
“目前他似乎很迷茫。他没有制定任何计划。” —

When I suggested that he should go to bed he said he could not sleep; —
当我建议他去睡觉时,他说他睡不着; —

he wanted to go out and walk about the streets till day. —
他想出去在街上走到天亮。 —

He was evidently in no state to be left alone. —
显然他不能一个人留下来。 —

I persuaded him to stay the night with me, and I put him into my own bed. —
我说服他在我这里过夜,把他放在我的床上。 —

I had a divan in my sitting-room, and could very well sleep on that. —
我客厅里有一张长沙发,我可以在上面睡。 —

He was by now so worn out that he could not resist my firmness. —
他现在已经精疲力竭,无法抵抗我的坚决。 —

I gave him a sufficient dose of veronal to insure his unconsciousness for several hours. —
我给他服了足够的维诺林,确保他会昏迷数小时。 —

I thought that was the best service I could render him.
我认为这是我能给他的最好的帮助。