The circumstances of Blanche Stroeve’s death necessitated all manner of dreadful formalities, but at last we were allowed to bury her. —
Blanche Stroeve的死亡情况需要进行各种可怕的手续,但最终我们被允许埋葬她。 —

Dirk and I alone followed the hearse to the cemetery. —
只有Dirk和我跟着灵车去了墓地。 —

We went at a foot-pace, but on the way back we trotted, and there was something to my mind singularly horrible in the way the driver of the hearse whipped up his horses. —
我们走得很慢,但回来的路上我们跑了,灵车的驾驶员用鞭子抽打马儿的方式让我感到特别可怕。 —

It seemed to dismiss the dead with a shrug of the shoulders. —
这似乎是在耸耸肩,漠然地对待死者。 —

Now and then I caught sight of the swaying hearse in front of us, and our own driver urged his pair so that we might not remain behind. —
偶尔我看到前面摇晃的灵车,我们的驾驶员则催促马儿,以免落在后面。 —

I felt in myself, too, the desire to get the whole thing out of my mind. —
我也觉得内心有足够的欲望让所有事情从我的脑海中消失。 —

I was beginning to be bored with a tragedy that did not really concern me, and pretending to myself that I spoke in order to distract Stroeve, I turned with relief to other subjects.
我开始对一场真正与我无关的悲剧感到厌烦,而自欺欺人地声称我说话是为了分散Stroeve的注意力,我松了一口气转向其他话题。

“Don’t you think you’d better go away for a bit?” I said. —
“你不觉得最好离开一段时间吗?”我说。 —

“There can be no object in your staying in Paris now. “
“现在留在巴黎没有任何意义。”

He did not answer, but I went on ruthlessly:
他没有回答,但我无情地继续说:

“Have you made any plans for the immediate future?”
“你有没有为近期作出计划?”

“No. “
“没有。”

“You must try and gather together the threads again. —
“你必须努力再次收拾起线索。 —

Why don’t you go down to Italy and start working?”
为什么不去意大利,开始工作呢?”

Again he made no reply, but the driver of our carriage came to my rescue. —
再次他没有回答,但我们的马车司机打断了我。 —

Slackening his pace for a moment, he leaned over and spoke. —
放慢脚步,他弯腰低语。 —

I could not hear what he said, so I put my head out of the window. —
我听不清他说什么,于是把头伸出窗外。 —

he wanted to know where we wished to be set down. —
他想知道我们想在哪里下车。 —

I told him to wait a minute.
我告诉他等一分钟。

“You’d better come and have lunch with me, ” I said to Dirk. “I’ll tell him to drop us in the Place Pigalle. “
“你最好跟我一起吃午饭,” 我对Dirk说。“我会告诉他把我们放在皮加勒广场。”

“I’d rather not. I want to go to the studio. “
“我宁愿不要。我想去工作室。”

I hesitated a moment.
我犹豫了一下。

“Would you like me to come with you?” I asked then.
“你想要我跟着你吗?” 我随后问道。

“No; I should prefer to be alone. “
“不,我宁愿一个人。”

“All right. “
“好的。”

I gave the driver the necessary direction, and in renewed silence we drove on. —
我告诉司机必要的方向,然后我们在继续沉默中前进。 —

Dirk had not been to the studio since the wretched morning on which they had taken Blanche to the hospital. —
自从他们把布兰奇送到医院那个悲惨的早上以来,Dirk就没有去过工作室。 —

I was glad he did not want me to accompany him, and when I left him at the door I walked away with relief. —
我很高兴他不想让我陪伴着他,当我在门口离开他时,我感到一种解脱。 —

I took a new pleasure in the streets of Paris, and I looked with smiling eyes at the people who hurried to and fro. —
我开始在巴黎的街道中发现新的乐趣,微笑着看着匆匆忙忙往返的人们。 —

The day was fine and sunny, and I felt in myself a more acute delight in life. —
今天天气晴朗,我感到更加热爱生活的快乐。 —

I could not help it; I put Stroeve and his sorrows out of my mind. I wanted to enjoy.
我情不自禁;我把斯特罗夫和他的悲伤从我的脑海中抛开。我想要享受。