Presently we left him. Dirk was going home to dinner, and I proposed to find a doctor and bring him to see Strickland; —
目前我们离开了他。 Dirk要回家吃晚饭,我提议找一位医生,带他去看斯特里克兰; —

but when we got down into the street, fresh after the stuffy attic, the Dutchman begged me to go immediately to his studio. —
但当我们走下楼,从闷热的阁楼走出来后,那位荷兰人请求我立即去他的工作室。 —

He had something in mind which he would not tell me, but he insisted that it was very necessary for me to accompany him. —
他有一件事情不肯告诉我,但坚持说很有必要我陪着他去。 —

Since I did not think a doctor could at the moment do any more than we had done, I consented. —
因为我觉得此刻医生也不会比我们做的更多,我同意了。 —

We found Blanche Stroeve laying the table for dinner. —
我们发现布兰奇·斯特罗夫正在摆放晚餐桌。 —

Dirk went up to her, and took both her hands.
Dirk走向她,握住她的手。

“Dear one, I want you to do something for me, ” he said.
“亲爱的,我想让你帮我做一件事,”他说。

She looked at him with the grave cheerfulness which was one of her charms. —
她看着他,带着一种庄重而愉快的神情,这是她的魅力之一。 —

His red face was shining with sweat, and he had a look of comic agitation, but there was in his round, surprised eyes an eager light.
他红扑扑的脸上沁出汗水,带着滑稽的慌乱神情,但在他圆圆的惊讶眼睛里闪烁着渴望的光芒。

“Strickland is very ill. He may be dying. —
“斯特里克兰病得很重。他可能快要死了。 —

He is alone in a filthy attic, and there is not a soul to look after him. —
他独自一人在一间肮脏的阁楼里,没有人能照顾他。 —

I want you to let me bring him here. “
我想让你同意我把他带到这里来。”

She withdrew her hands quickly, I had never seen her make so rapid a movement; —
她迅速地缩回了手,我从未见过她做出如此迅速的动作; —

and her cheeks flushed.
她的脸颊涨红。

“Oh no. “
“哦不。”

“Oh, my dear one, don’t refuse. I couldn’t bear to leave him where he is. I shouldn’t sleep a wink for thinking of him. “
“哦,我亲爱的,不要拒绝。我无法忍受把他留在那里。想到他我会彻夜难眠。”

“I have no objection to your nursing him. “
“我不反对你照顾他。”

Her voice was cold and distant.
她的声音冷漠而遥远。

“But he’ll die. “
“但他会死的。”

“Let him. “
“让他去死吧。”

Stroeve gave a little gasp. He wiped his face. —
斯特罗夫轻轻地喘息着。他擦了擦脸。 —

He turned to me for support, but I did not know what to say.
他求助于我,但我不知道该说什么。

“He’s a great artist. “
“他是一位伟大的艺术家。”

“What do I care? I hate him. “
“我管他什么。我恨他。”

“Oh, my love, my precious, you don’t mean that. I beseech you to let me bring him here. —
“哦,我的爱,我的宝贝,你不是这个意思。我恳求你让我把他带到这里。 —

We can make him comfortable. Perhaps we can save him. He shall be no trouble to you. —
我们可以让他舒服些。也许我们能救他。他不会给你添麻烦。 —

I will do everything. We’ll make him up a bed in the studio. —
我会做任何事情。我们在工作室给他设一张床。 —

We can’t let him die like a dog. It would be inhuman. “
我们不能让他像狗一样死去。那太不人道了。”

“Why can’t he go to a hospital?”
“为什么他不能去医院呢?”

“A hospital! He needs the care of loving hands. He must be treated with infinite tact. “
“医院!他需要爱心的照顾。必须用无限的机智对待他。”

I was surprised to see how moved she was. She went on laying the table, but her hands trembled.
我惊讶地看到她是多么感动。她继续摆放餐具,但她的手在颤抖。

“I have no patience with you. Do you think if you were ill he would stir a finger to help you?”
“我对你没耐心。你觉得如果你生病了,他会伸手帮助你吗?”

“But what does that matter? I should have you to nurse me. —
“但那有什么关系?我本应该让你来照顾我。 —

It wouldn’t be necessary. And besides, I’m different; I’m not of any importance. “
这不必要。而且,我不同,我并不重要。”

“You have no more spirit than a mongrel cur. —
“你比一只杂种狗还没精神。 —

You lie down on the ground and ask people to trample on you. “
你躺在地上,让人踩在你身上。”

Stroeve gave a little laugh. He thought he understood the reason of his wife’s attitude.
Stroeve发出了一声小笑。他认为了解他妻子态度的原因。

“Oh, my poor dear, you’re thinking of that day he came here to look at my pictures. —
“啊,我可怜的亲爱的,你在想他来这里看我的画的那天。 —

What does it matter if he didn’t think them any good? —
如果他觉得那些画不好又有什么关系呢? —

It was stupid of me to show them to him. —
给他看其实是我愚蠢。” —

I dare say they’re not very good. “
我敢说它们可能不是很好。”

He looked round the studio ruefully. On the easel was a half-finished picture of a smiling Italian peasant, holding a bunch of grapes over the head of a dark-eyed girl.
他遗憾地环顾工作室。画架上放着一幅半成品的画,画中一个意大利农民微笑着,举着一串葡萄在一位黑眼睛女孩的头顶。

“Even if he didn’t like them he should have been civil. He needn’t have insulted you. —
“即使他不喜欢它们,也应该有点礼貌。他不必侮辱你。 —

He showed that he despised you, and you lick his hand. Oh, I hate him. “
他表现出鄙视你,而你却舔他的手。哦,我讨厌他。”

“Dear child, he has genius. You don’t think I believe that I have it. I wish I had; —
“亲爱的孩子,他有天赋。你别以为我相信我有。我希望我有;” —

but I know it when I see it, and I honour it with all my heart. —
但我见到它时就知道了,我全心全意地尊重它。 —

It’s the most wonderful thing in the world. —
这是世界上最美妙的事情。 —

It’s a great burden to its possessors. We should be very tolerant with them, and very patient. “
对于它的拥有者来说,这是个巨大的负担。我们应该对他们非常宽容,非常耐心。

I stood apart, somewhat embarrassed by the domestic scene, and wondered why Stroeve had insisted on my coming with him. —
我站在一旁,有些尴尬地看着这家庭场景,想知道为什么斯特鲁夫非要我跟他一起来。 —

I saw that his wife was on the verge of tears.
我看到他的妻子快要哭了。

“But it’s not only because he’s a genius that I ask you to let me bring him here; —
“但我请你让我把他带到这里不仅仅是因为他是一个天才; —

it’s because he’s a human being, and he is ill and poor. “
还因为他是一个人,他生病了,贫困潦倒。 ”

“I will never have him in my house – never. “
“我绝不会让他进我的家 – 永远不会。”

Stroeve turned to me.
斯特鲁夫转向我。

“Tell her that it’s a matter of life and death. —
“告诉她这是生死攸关的事。 —

It’s impossible to leave him in that wretched hole. “
不可能把他留在那个可怜的地方。”

“It’s quite obvious that it would be much easier to nurse him here, ” I said, “but of course it would be very inconvenient. —
“很明显把他照料在这里会容易得多,”我说,“但当然会非常不方便。 —

I have an idea that someone will have to be with him day and night. “
我有个想法,谁都必须日夜陪伴他。”

“My love, it’s not you who would shirk a little trouble. “
“亲爱的,你绝不会因为一点点麻烦而推卸责任。”

“If he comes here, I shall go, ” said Mrs. Stroeve violently.
“如果他来这里,我就走,”斯特鲁夫太太激动地说。

“I don’t recognize you. You’re so good and kind. “
“我不认识你。你是如此善良和仁慈。”

“Oh, for goodness sake, let me be. You drive me to distraction. “
“喔,天哪,让我静一静。你把我逼疯了。”

Then at last the tears came. She sank into a chair, and buried her face in her hands. —
她终于流下了眼泪。她坐到椅子上,双手掩面。 —

Her shoulders shook convulsively. In a moment Dirk was on his knees beside her, with his arms round her, kissing her, calling her all sorts of pet names, and the facile tears ran down his own cheeks. —
她的肩膀剧烈地颤抖着。Dirk转瞬间就跪在她身旁,双臂搂住她,亲吻她,用各种亲昵的称呼呼唤着她,易流泪的眼泪也夺道而下。 —

Presently she released herself and dried her eyes.
她最终挣脱开来,擦干眼泪。

“Leave me alone, ” she said, not unkindly; —
“别打扰我,”她说,并不无礼地; —

and then to me, trying to smile: “What must you think of me?”
然后对我,试着微笑:“你会怎么看待我呢?”

Stroeve, looking at her with perplexity, hesitated. —
Stroeve困惑地看着她,犹豫了。 —

His forehead was all puckered, and his red mouth set in a pout. —
他的额头皱成一团,红色的嘴唇紧抿着。 —

He reminded me oddly of an agitated guinea-pig.
他让我联想到一个慌乱的豚鼠。

“Then it’s No, darling?” he said at last.
“那么这是拒绝了,亲爱的?”他最终问道。

She gave a gesture of lassitude. She was exhausted.
她无力地做了一个手势。她筋疲力尽。

“The studio is yours. Everything belongs to you. —
“工作室是你的。一切都属于你。 —

If you want to bring him here, how can I prevent you?”
如果你想把他带到这里,我怎么能阻止你呢?”

A sudden smile flashed across his round face.
他圆脸上突然闪过一丝微笑。

“Then you consent? I knew you would. Oh, my precious. “
“那么你答应了吗?我知道你会的。哦,我心爱的。”

Suddenly she pulled herself together. She looked at him with haggard eyes. —
突然间,她振作起来,用疲惫的眼神看着他。 —

She clasped her hands over her heart as though its beating were intolerable.
她双手交叉放在胸前,仿佛心跳让她难以忍受。

“Oh, Dirk, I’ve never since we met asked you to do anything for me. “
“哦,迪克,自我们相遇以来,我从未向你提过任何要求。”

“You know there’s nothing in the world that I wouldn’t do for you. “
“你知道世界上没有什么事情是我不愿意为你做的。”

“I beg you not to let Strickland come here. Anyone else you like. —
“我请求你,不要让斯特里克兰来这里。任何人都行,只要不是他。” —

Bring a thief, a drunkard, any outcast off the streets, and I promise you I’ll do everything I can for them gladly. —
“带一个小偷,一个酗酒者,或者从街头拣来的任何一个弃儿,我向你郑重承诺我会全力帮助他们。” —

But I beseech you not to bring Strickland here. “
“但我恳求你,不要把斯特里克兰带到这里来。”

“But why?”
“但为什么?”

“I’m frightened of him. I don’t know why, but there’s something in him that terrifies me. —
“我害怕他。不知道为什么,但他身上有一种恐怖的东西。” —

He’ll do us some great harm. I know it. I feel it. —
“他会给我们带来巨大的伤害。我知道的,我感觉到了。” —

If you bring him here it can only end badly. “
“如果你把他带到这里,只会带来不好的结局。”

“But how unreasonable!”
“但这太不合理了!”

“No, no. I know I’m right. Something terrible will happen to us. “
“不,不。我知道我是对的。我们将遭受可怕的事情。”

“Because we do a good action?”
“因为我们做了一件好事?”

She was panting now, and in her face was a terror which was inexplicable. —
她现在喘着气,脸上带着一种无法解释的恐惧。 —

I do not know what she thought. I felt that she was possessed by some shapeless dread which robbed her of all self-control. —
我不知道她在想什么。我感到她被某种无形的恐惧所控制,失去了自控力。 —

As a rule she was so calm; her agitation now was amazing. —
通常她是如此冷静;她现在的激动令人惊讶。 —

Stroeve looked at her for a while with puzzled consternation.
斯特罗夫用困惑的惊愕目光看着她。

“You are my wife; you are dearer to me than anyone in the world. —
“你是我的妻子;你对我来说比世界上任何人都重要。 —

No one shall come here without your entire consent. “
没有人会未经你完全同意而进来。”

She closed her eyes for a moment, and I thought she was going to faint. —
她闭上眼睛片刻,我觉得她快要晕倒了。 —

I was a little impatient with her; I had not suspected that she was so neurotic a woman. —
我对她有点不耐烦;我从未想到她是如此神经质的女人。 —

Then I heard Stroeve’s voice again. It seemed to break oddly on the silence.
然后我再次听到了斯特罗夫的声音。它似乎奇怪地打破了沉默。

“Haven’t you been in bitter distress once when a helping hand was held out to you? —
“你不曾在某个援助之手伸出时陷入痛苦吗? —

You know how much it means. Couldn’t you like to do someone a good turn when you have the chance?”
你知道那有多重要。当你有机会帮助别人时,你难道不想施以援手吗?”

The words were ordinary enough, and to my mind there was in them something so hortatory that I almost smiled. —
这些话很普通,但在我看来,其中蕴含着一种如此劝诫的意味,以至于我几乎要笑了。 —

I was astonished at the effect they had on Blanche Stroeve. —
我对这些话对布兰奇·斯特罗夫产生的效果感到惊讶。 —

She started a little, and gave her husband a long look. His eyes were fixed on the ground. —
她微微一愣,长时间地看着丈夫。他的眼睛盯着地面。 —

I did not know why he seemed embarrassed. —
我不知道为什么他似乎感到尴尬。 —

A faint colour came into her cheeks, and then her face became white – more than white, ghastly; —
她的脸颊泛起了淡淡的色彩,然后脸色变得苍白 – 不仅仅是苍白,而是惨白的; —

you felt that the blood had shrunk away from the whole surface of her body; —
你感觉到她全身的血液似乎已经褪去; —

and even her hands were pale. A shiver passed through her. —
甚至她的手也变得苍白。一阵寒意袭来; —

The silence of the studio seemed to gather body, so that it became an almost palpable presence. I was bewildered.
工作室的寂静似乎凝结成实体,变得近乎可以触摸。我感到困惑;

“Bring Strickland here, Dirk. I’ll do my best for him. “
“把 Strickland 带到这里,Dirk。我会尽力帮助他。”

“My precious, ” he smiled.
“我的宝贝,”他微笑着说;

He wanted to take her in his arms, but she avoided him.
他想搂着她,但她避开了他;

“Don’t be affectionate before strangers, Dirk, ” she said. “It makes me feel such a fool. “
“Dirk,在陌生人面前不要过于亲昵,”她说。“那让我感觉很傻。”

Her manner was quite normal again, and no one could have told that so shortly before she had been shaken by such a great emotion.
她的态度又恢复了正常,没有人能够察觉到就在不久前她经历过如此强烈的情感波动。