At this point Armand stopped.
此时,阿曼停了下来。

“Would you close the window for me?” he said. —
“你能帮我关一下窗户吗?”他说。 —

“I am beginning to feel cold. Meanwhile, I will get into bed.”
“我开始感到冷了。与此同时,我会上床休息一会儿。”

I closed the window. Armand, who was still very weak, took off his dressing-gown and lay down in bed, resting his head for a few moments on the pillow, like a man who is tired by much talking or disturbed by painful memories.
我关上了窗户。阿曼,仍然非常虚弱,脱下他的浴袍躺到床上,枕着枕头,就像一个因为说了太多话或被痛苦记忆困扰而感到疲倦的人。

“Perhaps you have been talking too much,” I said to him. —
“也许你说得太多了,”我对他说道。 —

“Would you rather for me to go and leave you to sleep? —
“你是否更希望我离开给你休息呢? —

You can tell me the rest of the story another day.”
你可以在另一天告诉我剩下的故事。”

“Are you tired of listening to it?”
“你厌倦听它了吗?”

“Quite the contrary.”
“恰恰相反。”

“Then I will go on. If you left me alone, I should not sleep.”
“那我继续。如果你把我一个人留下,我就睡不着。”

When I returned home (he continued, without needing to pause and recollect himself, so fresh were all the details in his mind), I did not go to bed, but began to reflect over the day’s adventure. —
当我回到家时(他继续说道,不需要停下来回忆,因为他的脑海中所有的细节都是如此清晰),我没有上床睡觉,而是开始反思这一天的冒险。 —

The meeting, the introduction, the promise of Marguerite, had followed one another so rapidly, and so unexpectedly, that there were moments when it seemed to me I had been dreaming. —
会议、介绍和玛格丽特的承诺接踵而来,如此迅速、突如其来,以至于有时我觉得自己在做梦。 —

Nevertheless, it was not the first time that a girl like Marguerite had promised herself to a man on the morrow of the day on which he had asked for the promise.
尽管如此,这并不是玛格丽特这样的女孩第一次在男人求婚的第二天许下承诺。

Though, indeed, I made this reflection, the first impression produced on me by my future mistress was so strong that it still persisted. —
然而,我对未来的情人产生的第一印象如此强烈,以至于至今仍然在我脑海中挥之不去。 —

I refused obstinately to see in her a woman like other women, and, with the vanity so common to all men, I was ready to believe that she could not but share the attraction which drew me to her.
我固执地拒绝把她看作是一个与其他女人相同的人,而且,作为所有男人普遍存在的虚荣,我相信她不可能不同于我对她的吸引力。

Yet, I had before me plenty of instances to the contrary, and I had often heard that the affection of Marguerite was a thing to be had more or less dear, according to the season.
然而,我面前有很多相反的例子,我经常听说过玛格丽特的感情是根据季节来得到或付出代价的。

But, on the other hand, how was I to reconcile this reputation with her constant refusal of the young count whom we had found at her house? —
但另一方面,我该如何将她对我们在她家中找到的年轻伯爵的不断拒绝与她的声誉调和起来呢? —

You may say that he was unattractive to her, and that, as she was splendidly kept by the duke, she would be more likely to choose a man who was attractive to her, if she were to take another lover. —
你可能会说她对他不感兴趣,因为她已经被公爵艳养得很好,如果她要找另一个情人,她更可能选择一个对她有吸引力的男人。 —

If so, why did she not choose Gaston, who was rich, witty, and charming, and why did she care for me, whom she had thought so ridiculous the first time she had seen me?
如果是这样,为什么她没有选择加斯东,他又有钱、机智又迷人,为什么她却喜欢我,当初她见到我的时候觉得我很可笑?

It is true that there are events of a moment which tell more than the courtship of a year. —
的确,有些瞬间的事件比一年的追求更能说明问题。 —

Of those who were at the supper, I was the only one who had been concerned at her leaving the table. —
在那次晚宴上,只有我一个人对她离开桌子感到担忧。我跟随她, —

I had followed her, I had been so affected as to be unable to hide it from her, I had wept as I kissed her hand. —
我的情绪如此受影响以至于无法向她隐藏,我在亲吻她的手时流泪了。 —

This circumstance, added to my daily visits during the two months of her illness, might have shown her that I was somewhat different from the other men she knew, and perhaps she had said to herself that for a love which could thus manifest itself she might well do what she had done so often that it had no more consequence for her.
这种情况加上我在她生病的两个月里每天的探望,也许使她看出了我与她认识的其他男人有些不同,也许她对自己说过,对于这样表现出来的爱情,她完全可以像以往那样对待它,毫无顾虑。

All these suppositions, as you may see, were improbable enough; —
正如你所见,所有这些假设都相当不太可能。 —

but whatever might have been the reason of her consent, one thing was certain, she had consented.
但无论她答应的原因是什么,有一件事是肯定的,她答应了。

Now, I was in love with Marguerite. I had nothing more to ask of her. —
现在,我爱上了玛格丽特。我对她已经没有了任何要求。 —

Nevertheless, though she was only a kept woman, I had so anticipated for myself, perhaps to poetize it a little, a hopeless love, that the nearer the moment approached when I should have nothing more to hope, the more I doubted. —
然而,尽管她只是个被养着的女人,我对自己所期望的,或许有点将其诗化的无望之爱,越是接近我不再有任何希望的时刻,我就越是犹豫不决。 —

I did not close my eyes all night.
整晚我都没有合上眼睛。

I scarcely knew myself. I was half demented. —
我几乎认不出自己。我陷入了疯狂的状态中。 —

Now, I seemed to myself not handsome or rich or elegant enough to possess such a woman, now I was filled with vanity at the thought of it; —
现在,我觉得自己不够帅气、富有和优雅,不配拥有这样一个女人,现在我开始对此充满虚荣感; —

then I began to fear lest Marguerite had no more than a few days’ caprice for me, and I said to myself that since we should soon have to part, it would be better not to keep her appointment, but to write and tell her my fears and leave her. —
然后我开始担心玛格丽特对我只是一时的兴趣,我对自己说,既然我们很快就要分开了,最好不要去赴约,而是写信告诉她我的担忧并离开她; —

From that I went on to unlimited hope, unbounded confidence. —
从那时起,我满怀希望和信心; —

I dreamed incredible dreams of the future; —
我做着难以置信的未来梦; —

I said to myself that she should owe to me her moral and physical recovery, that I should spend my whole life with her, and that her love should make me happier than all the maidenly loves in the world.
我告诉自己,她应该把她的道德和身体康复归功于我,我将用整个生命陪伴她,她的爱会比世界上所有的少女之爱让我更幸福;

But I can not repeat to you the thousand thoughts that rose from my heart to my head, and that only faded away with the sleep that came to me at daybreak.
但我无法向你重复那千百种涌上心头的思绪,只能在黎明的时候随着睡意消散;

When I awoke it was two o’clock. The weather was superb. —
当我醒来时,已经是两点钟了,天气非常好。 —

I don’t think life ever seemed to me so beautiful and so full of possibilities. —
我觉得生活从来没有像现在这样美丽,充满了可能性。 —

The memories of the night before came to me without shadow or hindrance, escorted gaily by the hopes of the night to come. —
前一晚的回忆毫无障碍地涌上心头,伴随着今晚的希望欢快地来到我身边。 —

From time to time my heart leaped with love and joy in my breast. A sweet fever thrilled me. —
时不时地,我的心在胸腔里激动地跳动着,一种甜蜜的热情充满了我。 —

I thought no more of the reasons which had filled my mind before I slept. —
我不再想之前入睡前占据我头脑的理由。 —

I saw only the result, I thought only of the hour when I was to see Marguerite again.
我只看到了结果,只想着再次见到玛格丽特的那个时刻。

It was impossible to stay indoors. My room seemed too small to contain my happiness. —
待在室内是不可能的。我的房间似乎太小,无法容纳我的幸福。 —

I needed the whole of nature to unbosom myself.
我需要整个大自然来倾诉自己。

I went out. Passing by the Rue d’Antin, I saw Marguerite’s coupé waiting for her at the door. —
我走出去。路过安坦大街时,我看到玛格丽特的马车停在门口。 —

I went toward the Champs-Elysées. I loved all the people whom I met. —
我向香榭丽舍大街走去。我爱遇到的每个人。 —

Love gives one a kind of goodness.
爱会让人变得善良。

After I had been walking for an hour from the Marly horses to the Rond-Point, I saw Marguerite’s carriage in the distance; —
从马力雕塑走到环城广场大约一个小时后,我远远地看到了玛格丽特的马车。 —

I divined rather than recognised it. As it was turning the corner of the Champs-Elysées it stopped, and a tall young man left a group of people with whom he was talking and came up to her. —
我感到了而不是认出了这辆马车。当它转过香榭丽舍大街的拐角时,它停了下来,一个高个子的年轻人离开了一群人,走向她。 —

They talked for a few moments; the young man returned to his friends, the horses set out again, and as I came near the group I recognised the one who had spoken to Marguerite as the Comte de G., whose portrait I had seen and whom Prudence had indicated to me as the man to whom Marguerite owed her position. —
他们交谈了几分钟;年轻人回到他的朋友那里,马车再次启动,当我走近他们时,我认出与玛格丽特说话的那个人是G伯爵,我曾看过他的肖像,并且普吕登斯告诉我玛格丽特的地位是归功于他。 —

It was to him that she had closed her doors the night before; —
昨晚她曾禁止他入内; —

I imagined that she had stopped her carriage in order to explain to him why she had done so, and I hoped that at the same time she had found some new pretext for not receiving him on the following night.
我想象着她停下马车是为了向他解释她为什么这样做,我希望她同时找到了一些新的借口,以免在随后的晚上接待他。

How I spent the rest of the day I do not know; —
我不知道自己如何度过余下的一天; —

I walked, smoked, talked, but what I said, whom I met, I had utterly forgotten by ten o’clock in the evening.
我散步、抽烟、交谈,不过到了晚上十点我已经完全忘记了我说了些什么,遇见了什么人。

All I remember is that when I returned home, I spent three hours over my toilet, and I looked at my watch and my clock a hundred times, which unfortunately both pointed to the same hour.
我记得的只有当我回到家时,我在马桶上待了三个小时,我看了一百次手表和时钟,不幸的是它们都指向相同的时间。

When it struck half past ten, I said to myself that it was time to go.
当钟敲到十点半的时候,我对自己说是时候走了。

I lived at that time in the Rue de Provence; —
那时我住在普罗旺斯街。 —

I followed the Rue du Mont-Blanc, crossed the Boulevard, went up the Rue Louis-le-Grand, the Rue de Port-Mahon, and the Rue d’Antin. I looked up at Marguerite’s windows. —
我沿着蒙布朗克街走,穿过了大道,沿着路易勒格朗街,泊马恩街和昂坛街上去了。我抬头看着玛格丽特的窗户。 —

There was a light. I rang. I asked the porter if Mlle. Gautier was at home. —
那里有一盏灯。我按了门铃。我问门卫玛格丽特在家吗。 —

He replied that she never came in before eleven or a quarter past eleven. I looked at my watch. —
他回答说她从来不在十一点或十一点一刻之前回家。我看了看手表。 —

I intended to come quite slowly, and I had come in five minutes from the Rue de Provence to the Rue d’Antin.
我打算走得很慢,但从普罗旺斯街到昂坛街只用了五分钟的时间。

I walked to and fro in the street; there are no shops, and at that hour it is quite deserted. —
我在街上来回走动;那里没有商店,而且那个时候非常冷清。 —

In half an hour’s time Marguerite arrived. —
半小时后,玛格丽特到了。 —

She looked around her as she got down from her coupé, as if she were looking for some one. —
她从轿车上下来的时候四下看了看,仿佛在找人。 —

The carriage drove off; the stables were not at the house. —
马车开走了;马厩不在房子里。 —

Just as Marguerite was going to ring, I went up to her and said, “Good-evening.”
正当玛格丽特要按铃时,我走上前去说:“晚上好。”

“Ah, it is you,” she said, in a tone that by no means reassured me as to her pleasure in seeing me.
“啊,是你,”她说,语气一点也不让我安心地觉得她高兴见到我。

“Did you not promise me that I might come and see you to-day?”
“难道你不答应今天会来看我吗?”

“Quite right. I had forgotten.”
“对了,我忘了。”

This word upset all the reflections I had had during the day. —
这个词打乱了我整天的思考。 —

Nevertheless, I was beginning to get used to her ways, and I did not leave her, as I should certainly have done once. —
尽管如此,我已经开始习惯她的方式,我不像以前那样离开她了。 —

We entered. Nanine had already opened the door.
我们进去了。娜妮已经把门打开了。

“Has Prudence come?” said Marguerite.
“普露登斯来了吗?”玛格丽特说。

“No, madame.”
“没有,夫人。”

“Say that she is to be admitted as soon as she comes. —
“她来了以后立刻让她进来。 —

But first put out the lamp in the drawing-room, and if anyone comes, say that I have not come back and shall not be coming back.”
但是先把客厅的灯灭掉,如果有人来,告诉他们我还没回来,也不会回来。”

She was like a woman who is preoccupied with something, and perhaps annoyed by an unwelcome guest. —
她就像是一个心神不宁的女人,或许还因不速之客而烦恼。 —

I did not know what to do or say. Marguerite went toward her bedroom; —
我不知道该怎么办或者说什么。玛格丽特走向自己的卧室; —

I remained where I was.
我还原地不动。

“Come,” she said.
“来吧,”她说。

She took off her hat and her velvet cloak and threw them on the bed, then let herself drop into a great armchair beside the fire, which she kept till the very beginning of summer, and said to me as she fingered her watch-chain:
她脱下帽子和天鹅绒披风,扔在床上,然后坐到火炉旁的一张大扶手椅上,一直留到初夏。她用手抚摸着链子,对我说:

“Well, what news have you got for me?”
“那你有什么新闻告诉我吗?”

“None, except that I ought not to have come to-night.”
“没有,只是我今晚不应该来的。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because you seem vexed, and no doubt I am boring you.”
“因为你看起来心烦意乱,毫无疑问我在打扰你。”

“You are not boring me; only I am not well; I have been suffering all day. —
“你没有打扰我,只是我感觉不舒服,整天都在受罪。 —

I could not sleep, and I have a frightful headache.”
我一直睡不着,头痛得厉害。”

“Shall I go away and let you go to bed?”
“我要走,让你去睡觉吧?”

“Oh, you can stay. If I want to go to bed I don’t mind your being here.”
“哦,你可以留下来。如果我想睡觉,你在这里也无所谓。”

At that moment there was a ring.
就在那时,门铃响了。

“Who is coming now?” she said, with an impatient movement.
“现在又是谁来了?”她不耐烦地问道。

A few minutes after there was another ring.
几分钟后又响起了一声铃声。

“Isn’t there anyone to go to the door? I shall have to go. —
“没人去开门吗?我得去了。” —

” She got up and said to me, “Wait here.”
她站起来对我说:“在这里等着。”

She went through the rooms, and I heard her open the outer door. I listened.
她穿过房间,我听见她打开了外门。我留心听着。

The person whom she had admitted did not come farther than the dining-room. —
她引进的那个人并没有走得更远,停在了饭厅里。 —

At the first word I recognised the voice of the young Comte de N.
一听见那个人的声音,我就知道是年轻的伯爵德N。

“How are you this evening?” he said.
“你今晚好吗?”他问道。

“Not well,” replied Marguerite drily.
“不好。”玛格丽特冷冷地回答。

“Am I disturbing you?”
“我打扰到你了吗?”

“Perhaps.”
“或许。”

“How you receive me! What have I done, my dear Marguerite?”
“你对我多冷淡啊!我做错了什么,亲爱的玛格丽特?”

“My dear friend, you have done nothing. I am ill; —
“亲爱的朋友,你什么都没做。我病了; —

I must go to bed, so you will be good enough to go. —
我得上床休息,所以你能好心地离开吗? —

It is sickening not to be able to return at night without your making your appearance five minutes afterward. —
每次晚上回来你总是在五分钟后出现,真是让人崩溃。 —

What is it you want? For me to be your mistress? Well, I have already told you a hundred times, No; —
你到底想要什么?我做你的情妇?好吧,我已经告诉你一百遍了,不行。” —

you simply worry me, and you might as well go somewhere else. —
你让我担心,最好还是去别的地方吧。 —

I repeat to you to-day, for the last time, I don’t want to have anything to do with you; —
我今天再次重申,最后一次,我不想和你有任何关系; —

that’s settled. Good-bye. Here’s Nanine coming in; —
事情就这样定了。再见。这时候南妮会进来了; —

she can light you to the door. Good-night.”
她会引你到门口。晚安。”

Without adding another word, or listening to what the young man stammered out, Marguerite returned to the room and slammed the door. —
马格丽特没有再多说一句话,也没有听那个年轻人结结巴巴地说什么,就回到了房间,砰的一声关上了门。 —

Nanine entered a moment after.
南妮过了一会儿走了进来。

“Now understand,” said Marguerite, “you are always to say to that idiot that I am not in, or that I will not see him. —
“现在明白了吧,”马格丽特说,“你要一直告诉那个白痴,我不在家,或者不愿意见他。 —

I am tired out with seeing people who always want the same thing; —
我已经厌倦了总是看到那些总是想要同样事情的人; —

who pay me for it, and then think they are quit of me. —
他们付钱给我,然后以为就可以摆脱我了。 —

If those who are going to go in for our hateful business only knew what it really was they would sooner be chambermaids. —
如果那些将从事我们这个可恶行业的人真正了解这些,他们宁愿去当女佣。 —

But no, vanity, the desire of having dresses and carriages and diamonds carries us away; —
但是不,虚荣心、渴望得到衣服、马车和钻石的欲望把我们带走了; —

one believes what one hears, for here, as elsewhere, there is such a thing as belief, and one uses up one’s heart, one’s body, one’s beauty, little by little; —
在这里,一人相信所听到的,因为在这里和其他地方一样,信念是存在的,人们一点点地用尽了自己的心、身体和美丽; —

one is feared like a beast of prey, scorned like a pariah, surrounded by people who always take more than they give; —
一人像野兽一样被人们所恐惧,像贱民一样被人们所蔑视,被那些总是索取更多而给予较少的人们包围着; —

and one fine day one dies like a dog in a ditch, after having ruined others and ruined one’s self.”
然后有一天,一人就像条狗一样死在沟渠中,不仅毁了别人,也毁了自己。”

“Come, come, madame, be calm,” said Nanine; “your nerves are a bit upset to-night.”
“来,来,夫人,请冷静一点,”娜妮娜说,“您的神经今晚有些紧张。”

“This dress worries me,” continued Marguerite, unhooking her bodice; —
“这件裙子让我感到不舒服,”玛格丽特继续说着,解下了她的胸衣; —

“give me a dressing-gown. Well, and Prudence?”
“给我一件睡衣。好了,普鲁登丝呢?”

“She has not come yet, but I will send her to you, madame, the moment she comes.”
“她还没来,但她一来,我会立刻把她派到您这儿,夫人。”

“There’s one, now,” Marguerite went on, as she took off her dress and put on a white dressing-gown, “there’s one who knows very well how to find me when she is in want of me, and yet she can’t do me a service decently. —
“这里就有一个,”玛格丽特一边脱下裙子,穿上一件白色的睡袍,一边说着,“她非常清楚地知道如何在需要我的时候找到我,但她连一件体面的服务都做不好。” —

She knows I am waiting for an answer. She knows how anxious I am, and I am sure she is going about on her own account, without giving a thought to me.”
她知道我在等着回答。她知道我有多么焦虑,我敢肯定她在为自己做事而毫不考虑我。”

“Perhaps she had to wait.”
“也许她不得不等待。”

“Let us have some punch.”
“让我们喝点果汁。”

“It will do you no good, madame,” said Nanine.
“这对您没有好处,夫人,” Nanine说道。

“So much the better. Bring some fruit, too, and a paté or a wing of chicken; —
“那就更好了。再来点水果,还有一个盘子或者一只鸡翅膀; —

something or other, at once. I am hungry.”
随便什么都行,立刻拿来。我饿了。”

Need I tell you the impression which this scene made upon me, or can you not imagine it?
我需要告诉你这个场景对我产生了什么样的印象吗?还是你能想象得出来?

“You are going to have supper with me,” she said to me; —
“你要和我一起吃晚饭,”她对我说道; —

“meanwhile, take a book. I am going into my dressing-room for a moment.”
“与此同时,拿本书看看。我要去一下化妆室。”

She lit the candles of a candelabra, opened a door at the foot of the bed, and disappeared.
她点燃蜡烛,打开床底下的一扇门,消失了。

I began to think over this poor girl’s life, and my love for her was mingled with a great pity. —
我开始思考这个可怜女孩的生活, 我对她的爱和对她的同情交织在一起。 —

I walked to and fro in the room, thinking over things, when Prudence entered.
我在房间里来来回回地走着,思考着事情,当普吕登斯进来了。

“Ah, you here?”’ she said, “where is Marguerite?”
“啊,你在这里?”她说,“玛格丽特在哪里?”

“In her dressing-room.”
“在她的化妆室。”

“I will wait. By the way, do you know she thinks you charming?”
“我会等的。顺便问一下,你知道她觉得你很迷人吗?”

“No.”
“不知道。”

“She hasn’t told you?”
“她没有告诉你吗?”

“Not at all.”
“一点也没有。”

“How are you here?”
“你怎么来了?”

“I have come to pay her a visit.”
“我来看她。”

“At midnight?”
“半夜时候?”

“Why not?”
“为什么不呢?”

Farceur!
“开玩笑!”

“She has received me, as a matter of fact, very badly.”
“实际上,她对我很冷淡。”

“She will receive you better by and by.”
“她以后会对你好一些的。”

“Do you think so?”
“你认为会吗?”

“I have some good news for her.”
“我有些好消息要告诉她。”

“No harm in that. So she has spoken to you about me?”
“没什么问题。她跟你提起过我吗?”

“Last night, or rather to-night, when you and your friend went. —
“昨晚,或者更准确地说,今晚,当你和你的朋友走的时候。” —

By the way, what is your friend called? Gaston R., his name is, isn’t it?”
顺便问一下,你朋友叫什么名字?他叫Gaston R.,对吧?

“Yes,” said I, not without smiling, as I thought of what Gaston had confided to me, and saw that Prudence scarcely even knew his name.
是的,我说道,微笑着想起Gaston对我吐露的秘密,看到普鲁登斯几乎连他的名字都不知道,我觉得很好笑。

“He is quite nice, that fellow; what does he do?”
他挺不错的,干什么的?

“He has twenty-five thousand francs a year.”
他每年有两万五千法郎。

“Ah, indeed! Well, to return to you. Marguerite asked me all about you: —
啊,真的吗!好了,说回你自己吧。玛格丽特问了我关于你的一切:你是谁,你做什么,你有过多少个情人;总之,一个人可以问一个你这个年纪的男人的所有问题。 —

who you were, what you did, what mistresses you had had; —
我告诉她我所知道的一切,并且补充说你是个迷人的年轻人。就这些。 —

in short, everything that one could ask about a man of your age. —
谢谢。现在告诉我昨晚她想要对你说什么。 —

I told her all I knew, and added that you were a charming young man. That’s all.”
一点也没有。她只是想要摆脱那个伯爵;

“Thanks. Now tell me what it was she wanted to say to you last night.”
但是我确实有今天要去找她的事情,我正带着一封回信给她。

“Nothing at all. It was only to get rid of the count; —
仅此而已。 —

but I have really something to see her about to-day, and I am bringing her an answer now.”
仅此而已。

At this moment Marguerite reappeared from her dressing-room, wearing a coquettish little nightcap with bunches of yellow ribbons, technically known as “cabbages. —
这时玛格丽特从她的更衣室里走了出来,戴着一顶带着黄色丝带的娇媚小睡帽,技术上被称为”卷心菜”. —

” She looked ravishing. She had satin slippers on her bare feet, and was in the act of polishing her nails.
她看起来迷人极了。她赤足穿着缎面拖鞋,正在擦拭她的指甲。

“Well,” she said, seeing Prudence, “have you seen the duke?”
“嗯,”她看见普鲁登斯说道,”你见过公爵了吗?”

“Yes, indeed.”
“是的,当然见过了。”

“And what did he say to you?”
“他对你说了什么?”

“He gave me—”
“他给了我-”

“How much?”
“多少钱?”

“Six thousand.”
“六千。”

“Have you got it?”
“你有了吗?”

“Yes.
“有的。”

“Did he seem put out?”
“他似乎生气了吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“Poor man!”
“可怜的男人!”

This “Poor man!” was said in a tone impossible to render. —
这句”可怜的男人!”的语气无法表述。 —

Marguerite took the six notes of a thousand francs.
玛格丽特拿起了六张一千法郎的钞票。

“It was quite time,” she said. “My dear Prudence, are you in want of any money?”
“时间过得很快,”她说。“亲爱的普鲁登斯,你需要钱吗?”

“You know, my child, it is the 15th in a couple of days, so if you could lend me three or four hundred francs, you would do me a real service.”
“孩子,你知道,再过几天就是15号了,所以如果你能借给我三四百法郎,那就真是帮了我一个大忙。”

“Send over to-morrow; it is too late to get change now.”
“明天再送过来吧,现在太晚找零钱了。”

“Don’t forget.”
“别忘了。”

“No fear. Will you have supper with us?”
“放心吧。你愿意和我们一起吃晚饭吗?”

“No, Charles is waiting for me.”
“不,查尔斯在等我。”

“You are still devoted to him?”
“你还对他忠心耿耿吗?”

“Crazy, my dear! I will see you to-morrow. Good-bye, Armand.”
“发疯了,亲爱的!明天见,阿尔芒。”

Mme. Duvernoy went out.
杜韦尔努瓦夫人走出去了。

Marguerite opened the drawer of a side-table and threw the bank-notes into it.
玛格丽特打开了一个边桌的抽屉,把钞票扔了进去。

“Will you permit me to get into bed?” she said with a smile, as she moved toward the bed.
“请让我上床吧?”她微笑着说,向床走去。

“Not only permit, but I beg of you.”
“不仅允许,而且我请求你。”

She turned back the covering and got into bed.
她掀开被子上床了。

“Now,” said she, “come and sit down by me, and let’s have a talk.”
“现在,”她说,“过来坐在我的旁边,我们聊聊。”

Prudence was right: the answer that she had brought to Marguerite had put her into a good humour.
普鲁登斯是对的:她带给玛格丽特的回复让她情绪好起来了。

“Will you forgive me for my bad temper tonight?” she said, taking my hand.
“你会原谅我今晚的坏脾气吗?”她说着,拉着我的手。

“I am ready to forgive you as often as you like.”
“只要你喜欢,我随时都愿意原谅你。”

“And you love me?”
“你爱我吗?”

“Madly.”
“疯狂地爱。”

“In spite of my bad disposition?”
“尽管我脾气不好?”

“In spite of all.”
“尽管一切。”

“You swear it?”
“你发誓吗?”

“Yes,” I said in a whisper.
“是的,”我低声说道。

Nanine entered, carrying plates, a cold chicken, a bottle of claret, and some strawberries.
纳宁进来了,拿着盘子、一只冷鸡、一瓶红酒和一些草莓。

“I haven’t had any punch made,” said Nanine; “claret is better for you. Isn’t it, sir?”
“我还没有做果汁,”纳宁说道,“红酒对你更好。对吧,先生?”

“Certainly,” I replied, still under the excitement of Marguerite’s last words, my eyes fixed ardently upon her.
“当然,”我回答道,仍然兴奋于玛格丽特刚才的话,我热切地盯着她。

“Good,” said she; “put it all on the little table, and draw it up to the bed; —
“很好,”她说,“把一切都放在小桌子上,把它拉到床边; —

we will help ourselves. This is the third night you have sat up, and you must be in want of sleep. —
我们自己来吃。这已经是你连续第三个通宵了,你肯定需要睡眠。 —

Go to bed. I don’t want anything more.”
去睡吧。我什么都不需要了。”

“Shall I lock the door?”
“我要锁门吗?”

“I should think so! And above all, tell them not to admit anybody before midday.”
“我认为应该这样做!而且最重要的是,告诉他们中午之前不要接待任何人。”