The room to which she had fled was lit only by a single candle. —
她逃到的房间只有一支蜡烛的光亮。 —

She lay back on a great sofa, her dress undone, holding one hand on her heart, and letting the other hang by her side. —
她躺在一张大沙发上,衣服敞开,一只手放在胸口,另一只手垂在身旁。 —

On the table was a basin half full of water, and the water was stained with streaks of blood.
桌上摆着一个半满的水盆,水面上有血迹。

Very pale, her mouth half open, Marguerite tried to recover breath. —
玛格丽特苍白的脸,嘴巴半张着,试图恢复呼吸。 —

Now and again her bosom was raised by a long sigh, which seemed to relieve her a little, and for a few seconds she would seem to be quite comfortable.
她的胸口时而被一股长长的叹息掀起,似乎稍稍缓解了一些,几秒钟的时间她似乎感到舒服些了。

I went up to her; she made no movement, and I sat down and took the hand which was lying on the sofa.
我走到她身边,她没有动,我坐下来握住了沙发上的一只手。

“Ah! it is you,” she said, with a smile.
“啊!是你,”她笑着说道。

I must have looked greatly agitated, for she added:
我一定显得非常激动,因为她接着说:

“Are you unwell, too?”
“你也不舒服吗?”

“No, but you: do you still suffer?”
“不,但是你呢?你还在受苦吗?”

“Very little;” and she wiped off with her handkerchief the tears which the coughing had brought to her eyes; —
“很少了。”她用手帕擦去了咳嗽带来的眼泪。 —

“I am used to it now.”
“我现在已经习惯了。”

“You are killing yourself, madame,” I said to her in a moved voice. —
“你在自杀,夫人。”我用动情的声音对她说。 —

“I wish I were a friend, a relation of yours, that I might keep you from doing yourself harm like this.”
“我真希望我能成为你的朋友、亲戚,这样我就可以阻止你做出这样伤害自己的事情了。”

“Ah! it is really not worth your while to alarm yourself, ” she replied in a somewhat bitter tone; —
“啊!真的不值得你担心,”她以有些苦涩的口吻回答道; —

“see how much notice the others take of me! —
“看看其他人都没有注意到我! —

They know too well that there is nothing to be done.”
他们太清楚没有什么可以做的。”

Thereupon she got up, and, taking the candle, put it on the mantel-piece and looked at herself in the glass.
于是她站起来,拿起蜡烛,放在壁炉上,看着镜子里的自己。

“How pale I am!” she said, as she fastened her dress and passed her fingers over her loosened hair. —
“我好苍白!”她说着,扣好衣服,抚摸着散乱的头发。 —

“Come, let us go back to supper. Are you coming?”
“来吧,让我们回去吃晚饭。你要来么?”

I sat still and did not move.
我静静地坐着,一动不动。

She saw how deeply I had been affected by the whole scene, and, coming up to me, held out her hand, saying:
她看到我对整个场景感到深深震撼,走近我,伸出手,说道:

“Come now, let us go.”
“来吧,我们走吧。”

I took her hand, raised it to my lips, and in spite of myself two tears fell upon it.
我拉起她的手,亲吻了一下,尽管我自己也不知道为什么,两滴泪水掉在了她的手上。

“Why, what a child you are!” she said, sitting down by my side again. —
“噢,你真是个孩子!”她坐回我身边说道。 —

“You are crying! What is the matter?”
“你在哭!出了什么事?”

“I must seem very silly to you, but I am frightfully troubled by what I have just seen.”
“你一定觉得我很傻,但是我刚才看到的事情让我极为困扰。”

“You are very good! What would you have of me? I can not sleep. I must amuse myself a little. —
“你真是太好了!你想要我做什么?我无法入睡,我必须找点乐子。” —

And then, girls like me, what does it matter, one more or less? —
“而像我这样的女孩,多一个或少一个又有什么关系呢?” —

The doctors tell me that the blood I spit up comes from my throat; —
“医生告诉我我吐血是因为喉咙有问题; —

I pretend to believe them; it is all I can do for them.”
我假装相信他们,这是我能为他们做的唯一的事情。”

“Listen, Marguerite,” I said, unable to contain myself any longer; —
“听着,玛格丽特,”我忍不住对她说; —

“I do not know what influence you are going to have over my life, but at this present moment there is no one, not even my sister, in whom I feel the interest which I feel in you. —
“我不知道你会对我的生活产生什么影响,但是此刻除了我的妹妹以外,没有人引起我对你这样的兴趣。” —

It has been just the same ever since I saw you. —
自从我见到你以后一直都是这样。 —

Well, for Heaven’s sake, take care of yourself, and do not live as you are living now.”
“拜托,请保重自己,不要再像现在这样生活。”

“If I took care of myself I should die. All that supports me is the feverish life I lead. —
“如果我保重自己,我就会死。我支撑着我生活的只有狂热的生活方式。 —

Then, as for taking care of oneself, that is all very well for women with families and friends; —
至于自我保重,那对于有家人和朋友的女人来说也可以,但对于我这样的女人来说就没什么意义。” —

as for us, from the moment we can no longer serve the vanity or the pleasure of our lovers, they leave us, and long nights follow long days. —
就我们而言,从我们不能再为爱人的虚荣或快乐服务的那一刻起,他们就离开了我们,长夜伴随着漫长的白天。 —

I know it. I was in bed for two months, and after three weeks no one came to see me.”
我知道。我卧床两个月,三个星期后没有人来看我。

“It is true I am nothing to you,” I went on, “but if you will let me, I will look after you like a brother, I will never leave your side, and I will cure you. —
“对于你来说,我确实一无是处,”我继续说道,“但如果你让我,我会像哥哥一样照顾你,我永远不会离开你身边,我会治愈你。 —

Then, when you are strong again, you can go back to the life you are leading, if you choose; —
然后,当你再次变得强壮,你可以回到你现在的生活中,如果你选择的话; —

but I am sure you will come to prefer a quiet life, which will make you happier and keep your beauty unspoiled.”
但我相信你会更喜欢安静的生活,这会让你更幸福,保持你的容颜不被破坏。”

“You think like that to-night because the wine has made you sad, but you would never have the patience that you pretend to.”
“你今晚这样想是因为酒让你悲伤,但你永远不会有你所假装拥有的耐心。”

“Permit me to say, Marguerite, that you were ill for two months, and that for two months I came to ask after you every day.”
“请允许我说一句,玛格丽特,你病了两个月,而那两个月我每天都来问候你。”

“It is true, but why did you not come up?”
“是的,但你为什么不上楼来?”

“Because I did not know you then.”
“因为那时我不认识你。”

“Need you have been so particular with a girl like me?”
“像我这样的女孩,你有必要这么挑剔吗?”

“One must always be particular with a woman; it is what I feel, at least.”
“对待女人,总是要挑剔的;至少我是这样认为的。”

“So you would look after me?”
“那你会照顾我吗?”

“Yes.”
“会。”

“You would stay by me all day?”
“你会整天陪着我吗?”

“Yes.
“会。”

“And even all night?”
“甚至整晚都会陪着我吗?”

“As long as I did not weary you.”
“只要我不让你厌倦。”

“And what do you call that?”
“这叫什么?”

“Devotion.”
“忠诚。”

“And what does this devotion come from?”
“这忠诚来自何处?”

“The irresistible sympathy which I have for you.”
“来自我对你的无法抗拒的同情之情。”

“So you are in love with me? Say it straight out, it is much more simple.”
“所以你爱上我了?直截了当地说出来,更简单。”

“It is possible; but if I am to say it to you one day, it is not to-day.”
“有可能;但如果有一天我要对你说,那不是今天。”

“You will do better never to say it.”
“你最好永远不要说出来。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because only one of two things can come of it.”
“因为只有两种可能。”

“What?”
“什么?”

“Either I shall not accept: then you will have a grudge against me; or I shall accept: —
“要么我不接受,那你会对我怀恨在心;要么我接受了,那你将成为一个可怜的情妇;一个神经紧张、病恹恹、忧伤或比悲伤更悲伤的快乐的女人;一个咳血并每年花费十万法郎的女人。” —

then you will have a sorry mistress; a woman who is nervous, ill, sad, or gay with a gaiety sadder than grief, a woman who spits blood and spends a hundred thousand francs a year. —
“这对于像公爵这样的富老人来说还好,但对于像你这样的年轻人来说很糟糕,证明就是,我曾拥有的所有年轻情人都很快离开了我。” —

That is all very well for a rich old man like the duke, but it is very bad for a young man like you, and the proof of it is that all the young lovers I have had have very soon left me. —
我没有回答,只是静静地听着。这种几乎是一种忏悔的坦率,贫穷女孩脆弱生活的一瞥,这贫穷女孩试图逃避在糜烂、酗酒和不眠的幻想之中,深深地打动了我,以至于我无法说一句话。 —

” I did not answer; I listened. This frankness, which was almost a kind of confession, the sad life, of which I caught some glimpse through the golden veil which covered it, and whose reality the poor girl sought to escape in dissipation, drink, and wakefulness, impressed me so deeply that I could not utter a single word.
我没有回答,只是静静地听着。这种坦白几乎是一种自白,透过金色的面纱我窥见了这个悲惨的生活,这个可怜女孩试图在放纵、饮酒和不眠中逃避现实,这深深地感动了我,以至于我无法说一句话。

“Come,” continued Marguerite, “we are talking mere childishness. —
“来吧,”玛格丽特继续说,“我们只是在闲聊。” —

Give me your arm and let us go back to the dining-room. —
给我你的胳膊,让我们回到餐厅。 —

They won’t know what we mean by our absence.”
他们不会知道我们离开的原因。”

“Go in, if you like, but allow me to stay here.”
“你可以去,但是请让我留在这里。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because your mirth hurts me.”
“因为你的笑声伤害到了我。”

“Well, I will be sad.”
“好吧,我会变得悲伤的。”

“Marguerite, let me say to you something which you have no doubt often heard, so often that the habit of hearing it has made you believe it no longer, but which is none the less real, and which I will never repeat.”
“玛格丽特,让我告诉你一些你可能经常听到的话,听到太多以至于你以为它已经不再真实,但它仍然是真实的,而且我不会再重复。”

“And that is…?” she said, with the smile of a young mother listening to some foolish notion of her child.
“那是什么?”她笑着说,像是年轻母亲听着孩子的傻念头。

“It is this, that ever since I have seen you, I know not why, you have taken a place in my life; —
“是这样的,自从我见到你以来,我不知道为什么,你在我的生活中占据了一个位置; —

that, if I drive the thought of you out of my mind, it always comes back; —
“如果我把你的想法从脑海中驱逐出去,它总是会回来; —

that when I met you to-day, after not having seen you for two years, you made a deeper impression on my heart and mind than ever; —
“当我今天见到你时,两年不见后,你给我留下了比以往更深的印象在我心中和脑海里; —

that, now that you have let me come to see you, now that I know you, now that I know all that is strange in you, you have become a necessity of my life, and you will drive me mad, not only if you will not love me, but if you will not let me love you.”
既然你已经让我见到你,既然我已经认识你,既然我知道了你身上的一切陌生之处,你已经成为了我生活中不可或缺的存在,而且你会让我发疯,不仅仅是因为你不爱我,更因为你不允许我爱你。

“But, foolish creature that you are, I shall say to you, like Mme. D., ‘You must be very rich, then! —
但是,傻瓜般的人儿,我得像姐姐D.一样对你说:“那你肯定很有钱了吧!” —

’ Why, you don’t know that I spend six or seven thousand francs a month, and that I could not live without it; —
你不知道我一个月要花六七千法郎,而且没有这个钱我根本无法生活; —

you don’t know, my poor friend, that I should ruin you in no time, and that your family would cast you off if you were to live with a woman like me. —
你不知道,我这么一会儿工夫就会把你败光,而且如果你和我这样的女人住在一起,你的家人会把你扫地出门。 —

Let us be friends, good friends, but no more. —
我们做朋友吧,好朋友,但不要再多了。 —

Come and see me, we will laugh and talk, but don’t exaggerate what I am worth, for I am worth very little. —
来看我吧,我们可以一起笑一起聊天,但不要夸大我值多少钱,因为我几乎一文不值。 —

You have a good heart, you want someone to love you, you are too young and too sensitive to live in a world like mine. —
你有一颗善良的心,你需要一个人来爱你,你太年轻太敏感了,不应该生活在我的世界里。 —

Take a married woman. You see, I speak to you frankly, like a friend.”
找一个已婚女人吧。你看,我像朋友一样坦诚地对你说。

“But what the devil are you doing there? —
“但你到底在那做什么呢?” —

” cried Prudence, who had come in without our hearing her, and who now stood just inside the door, with her hair half coming down and her dress undone. —
“喂,普鲁登斯叫道,我们根本没有听到她进来,此刻她站在门口,头发凌乱,衣服松散。 —

I recognised the hand of Gaston.
我认出了加斯东的字迹。

“We are talking sense,” said Marguerite; “leave us alone; we will be back soon.”
“我们在讨论有道理的事情,”玛格丽特说,“让我们好好谈谈,马上回来。”

“Good, good! Talk, my children,” said Prudence, going out and closing the door behind her, as if to further emphasize the tone in which she had said these words.
“很好,很好!聊吧,孩子们,”普鲁登斯说着,走出去并关上门,仿佛进一步强调她说这些话的语气。

“Well, it is agreed,” continued Marguerite, when we were alone, “you won’t fall in love with me?”
”好了,那就同意了,”玛格丽特接着说,“你不会爱上我,对吗?”

“I will go away.”
“我会离开的。”

“So much as that?”
“就这样?”

I had gone too far to draw back; and I was really carried away. —
我已经走得太远,无法回头;我确实有些冲动。 —

This mingling of gaiety, sadness, candour, prostitution, her very malady, which no doubt developed in her a sensitiveness to impressions, as well as an irritability of nerves, all this made it clear to me that if from the very beginning I did not completely dominate her light and forgetful nature, she was lost to me.
这种愉快、悲伤、坦率、卖淫以及她自身的疾病的交融使我清楚地意识到,如果我从一开始就不能完全掌控她轻浮而健忘的本性,她就会离我而去。

“Come, now, do you seriously mean what you say?” she said.
“来吧,现在你是认真的吗?“她说。

“Seriously.”
“认真的。”

“But why didn’t you say it to me sooner?”
“但是你为什么不早点告诉我呢?”

“When could I have said it?”
“我什么时候可以说呢?”

“The day after you had been introduced to me at the Opera Comique.”
“在我们在歌剧院相识的第二天。”

“I thought you would have received me very badly if I had come to see you.”
“我以为如果我去找你,你会对我很不友好。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because I had behaved so stupidly.”
“因为我表现得太傻了。”

“That’s true. And yet you were already in love with me.”
“那是真的。但是你已经爱上我了。”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“And that didn’t hinder you from going to bed and sleeping quite comfortably. —
“但是这并没有妨碍你上床睡得很安稳。” —

One knows what that sort of love means.”
大家都知道那种爱的意义。

“There you are mistaken. Do you know what I did that evening, after the Opera Comique?”
“你错了。你知道我在歌剧院之后的那个晚上做了什么吗?”

“No.”
“不知道。”

“I waited for you at the door of the Café Anglais. —
在英吉利咖啡店门口等你。 —

I followed the carriage in which you and your three friends were, and when I saw you were the only one to get down, and that you went in alone, I was very happy.”
我跟着你和你的三个朋友坐的马车,当我看到你一个人下车,独自进去的时候,我非常高兴。

Marguerite began to laugh.
玛格丽特开始笑了起来。

“What are you laughing at?”
“你笑什么?”

“Nothing.”
“没什么。”

“Tell me, I beg of you, or I shall think you are still laughing at me.”
“告诉我,求求你,否则我会觉得你还在笑我。”

“You won’t be cross?”
“你不会生气吗?”

“What right have I to be cross?”
“我凭什么生气?”

“Well, there was a sufficient reason why I went in alone.”
“嗯,我一个人进去有足够的理由。”

“What?”
“什么理由?”

“Some one was waiting for me here.”
“这里有人在等我。”

If she had thrust a knife into me she would not have hurt me more. —
如果她插了把刀在我身上,我都不会那么受伤。 —

I rose, and holding out my hand, “Goodbye,” said I.
我站起来,伸出手,“再见,”我说。

“I knew you would be cross,” she said; —
“我就知道你会生气,”她说; —

“men are frantic to know what is certain to give them pain.”
“男人总是渴望知道肯定会让他们痛苦的事情。”

“But I assure you,” I added coldly, as if wishing to prove how completely I was cured of my passion, “I assure you that I am not cross. —
“但是我向你保证”,我冷冷地补充道,仿佛希望证明我已完全恢复,“我向你保证我并不生气。” —

It was quite natural that someone should be waiting for you, just as it is quite natural that I should go from here at three in the morning.”
有人等你是很自然的,就像我凌晨三点离开这里也是很自然的。

“Have you, too, someone waiting for you?”
“你也有人等着你吗?”

“No, but I must go.”
“没有,但我必须走。”

“Good-bye, then.”
“那再见。”

“You send me away?”
“你要把我赶走吗?”

“Not the least in the world.”
“世上根本没有。”

“Why are you so unkind to me?”
“你为什么对我这样不好?”

“How have I been unkind to you?”
“我对你怎么不好了?”

“In telling me that someone was waiting for you.”
“告诉我有人在等你,我觉得很好笑,因为你一个人进来时那么高兴,而现在有这样一个充分的理由。”

“I could not help laughing at the idea that you had been so happy to see me come in alone when there was such a good reason for it.”
“人们对于一些孩子气的事情会找到快乐,不过简单地不去破坏这种快乐,就可以让某人感到幸福,这样实在太好了。”

“One finds pleasure in childish enough things, and it is too bad to destroy such a pleasure when, by simply leaving it alone, one can make somebody so happy.”
“但请问你觉得我是什么人?我既不是女仆也不是公爵夫人。

“But what do you think I am? I am neither maid nor duchess. —
“但是你认为我是什么人呢?我既不是女佣也不是公爵夫人。” —

I didn’t know you till to-day, and I am not responsible to you for my actions. —
直到今天我才认识你,所以对于我的行为,我不对你负责。 —

Supposing one day I should become your mistress, you are bound to know that I have had other lovers besides you. —
假设有一天我成为了你的情妇,你得明白我除了你还有其他情人。 —

If you make scenes of jealousy like this before, what will it be after, if that after should ever exist? —
如果在之前你已经因为嫉妒而闹过场,那之后的情形该怎么办呢,如果后续真的存在的话? —

I never met anyone like you.”
我从未遇见过像你这样的人。

“That is because no one has ever loved you as I love you.”
那是因为没有人像我这样爱你。

“Frankly, then, you really love me?”
坦白地说,你真的爱我吗?

“As much as it is possible to love, I think.”
我认为我尽可能地爱你。

“And that has lasted since—?”
这种爱情从……以来一直持续吗?

“Since the day I saw you go into Susse’s, three years ago.”
从三年前我看到你进入苏斯时起就开始。

“Do you know, that is tremendously fine? Well, what am I to do in return?”
你知道,这真的太美好了。那么,我该怎么回报呢?

“Love me a little,” I said, my heart beating so that I could hardly speak; —
“爱我一点,”我说,我的心跳得使我几乎说不出话来; —

for, in spite of the half-mocking smiles with which she had accompanied the whole conversation, it seemed to me that Marguerite began to share my agitation, and that the hour so long awaited was drawing near.
因为尽管在整个对话中她一直带着一半嘲笑的微笑,但我觉得玛格丽特开始与我共享这种激动,而我期盼已久的时刻即将到来。

“Well, but the duke?”
那么,那位公爵呢?

“What duke?”
“是哪个公爵?”

“My jealous old duke.”
“是那个嫉妒心重的老公爵。”

“He will know nothing.”
“他一无所知。”

“And if he should?”
“如果他知道怎么办?”

“He would forgive you.”
“他会原谅你。”

“Ah, no, he would leave me, and what would become of me?”
“啊,不,他会离开我,那我该怎么办?”

“You risk that for someone else.”
“你愿意为了某个别人冒险。”

“How do you know?”
“你怎么知道?”

“By the order you gave not to admit anyone to-night.”
“通过你今晚不允许任何人进来的命令。”

“It is true; but that is a serious friend.”
“是的,但那是一个重要的朋友。”

“For whom you care nothing, as you have shut your door against him at such an hour.”
“对你来说,他一无是处,因为你在这样一个时候把他拒之门外。”

“It is not for you to reproach me, since it was in order to receive you, you and your friend.”
“你没有资格责备我,因为为了接待你,你和你的朋友,我才这样做的。”

Little by little I had drawn nearer to Marguerite. —
我渐渐地靠近了玛格丽特。 —

I had put my arms about her waist, and I felt her supple body weigh lightly on my clasped hands.
我抱着她的腰,感受到她柔软的身体轻轻地压在我交叉的手上。

“If you knew how much I love you!” I said in a low voice.
“如果你知道我有多么爱你!”我低声说道。

“Really true?”
“真的吗?”

“I swear it.”
“我发誓。”

“Well, if you will promise to do everything I tell you, without a word, without an opinion, without a question, perhaps I will say yes.”
“嗯,如果你答应无条件地听从我,不发表观点,不提出问题,也许我会说是的。”

“I will do everything that you wish!”
“我会照你的意愿做!”

“But I forewarn you I must be free to do as I please, without giving you the slightest details what I do. —
“但是提前警告你,我必须自由地做我想做的事情,而不给你丝毫细节。” —

I have long wished for a young lover, who should be young and not self-willed, loving without distrust, loved without claiming the right to it. —
我一直希望有个年轻的情人,年轻而不固执,相爱而不怀疑,被爱而不要求权利。 —

I have never found one. Men, instead of being satisfied in obtaining for a long time what they scarcely hoped to obtain once, exact from their mistresses a full account of the present, the past, and even the future. —
我从未找到过这样的人。男人,他们不仅满足于长期拥有他们几乎不敢寄望的东西,还要求情人对过去、现在甚至未来的一切都向他们报告。 —

As they get accustomed to her, they want to rule her, and the more one gives them the more exacting they become. —
随着他们对她的习以为常,他们想统治她,他们得到的越多,要求也越苛刻。 —

If I decide now on taking a new lover, he must have three very rare qualities: —
如果我决定现在找个新的情人,他必须具备三个非常罕见的品质:信任、顺从和谨慎。” —

he must be confiding, submissive, and discreet.”
“好,我会按照你的要求做到这一切。”

“Well, I will be all that you wish.”
“那么,我会成为你所期望的一切。”

“We shall see.”
“我们拭目以待。”

“When shall we see?”
“我们何时见面?”

“Later on.”
“稍后。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because,” said Marguerite, releasing herself from my arms, and, taking from a great bunch of red camellias a single camellia, she placed it in my buttonhole, “because one can not always carry out agreements the day they are signed.”
“因为,”玛格丽特说道,她从一束红色山茶花中拿出一朵白色山茶花,将其别在我的纽扣孔上,“因为有些协议并不能在签署的那天就实施。”

“And when shall I see you again?” I said, clasping her in my arms.
“那我何时能再见到你?”我抱紧她说道。

“When this camellia changes colour.”
“当这朵山茶花改变颜色时。”

“When will it change colour?”
“那什么时候会改变颜色?”

“To-morrow night between eleven and twelve. Are you satisfied?”
“明晚十一点到十二点之间。你满意吗?”

“Need you ask me?”
“你还需要问吗?”

“Not a word of this either to your friend or to Prudence, or to anybody whatever.”
“不要对你的朋友、普露登斯或其他任何人提起这件事。”

“I promise.”
“我保证。”

“Now, kiss me, and we will go back to the dining-room.”
“现在亲吻我,我们回去餐厅。”

She held up her lips to me, smoothed her hair again, and we went out of the room, she singing, and I almost beside myself.
她抬起嘴唇让我亲吻,重新整理了一下头发,我们离开了房间,她唱着歌,而我几乎快要发疯了。

In the next room she stopped for a moment and said to me in a low voice:
在下一个房间里,她停下了一会儿,低声对我说道:

“It must seem strange to you that I am ready to take you at a moment’s notice. —
“我突然随时可以接受你一定觉得很奇怪。 —

Shall I tell you why? It is,” she continued, taking my hand and placing it against her heart so that I could feel how rapidly and violently it palpitated; —
告诉你为什么吗?”她继续说道,拉着我的手放在她的心脏上,好让我能感觉到它快速而猛烈地跳动。 —

“it is because I shall not live as long as others, and I have promised myself to live more quickly.”
“因为我不会像其他人那样活得那么长久,所以我承诺要更快地活着。”

“Don’t speak to me like that, I entreat you.”
“我求求你别这么对我说话。”

“Oh, make yourself easy,” she continued, laughing; —
“哦,放心吧,”她继续笑着说道; —

“however short a time I have to live, I shall live longer than you will love me!”
“无论我还能活多久,我都会比你爱我的时间更长!”

And she went singing into the dining-room.
然后她唱着歌走进了餐厅。

“Where is Nanine?” she said, seeing Gaston and Prudence alone.
“Nanine在哪里?”她看到只有Gaston和Prudence在场时问道。

“She is asleep in your room, waiting till you are ready to go to bed,” replied Prudence.
“她在你房间里睡觉,等着你准备睡觉,”Prudence回答道。

“Poor thing, I am killing her! And now gentlemen, it is time to go.”
“可怜的家伙,我在杀死她!现在,先生们,是时候走了。”

Ten minutes after, Gaston and I left the house. —
十分钟后,Gaston和我离开了房子。 —

Marguerite shook hands with me and said good-bye. —
Marguerite与我握手并告别。 —

Prudence remained behind.
Prudence留了下来。

“Well,” said Gaston, when we were in the street, “what do you think of Marguerite?”
“嗯,” Gaston说道,我们走在街上时,”你觉得Marguerite怎么样?”

“She is an angel, and I am madly in love with her.”
“她是个天使,我疯狂地爱着她。”

“So I guessed; did you tell her so?”
“那么我猜对了;你告诉过她吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“And did she promise to believe you?”
“那她答应相信你了吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“She is not like Prudence.”
“她不像Prudence那样。”

“Did she promise to?”
“她答应了吗?”

“Better still, my dear fellow. You wouldn’t think it; —
“更好的是,亲爱的。你不会相信; —

but she is still not half bad, poor old Duvernoy!”
但她还不算太坏,可怜的老Duvernoy!”