I found Armand in bed. On seeing me he held out a burning hand. —
我发现阿尔曼躺在床上。看到我,他伸出了一只燃烧的手。 —

“You are feverish,” I said to him. “It is nothing, the fatigue of a rapid journey; —
“你发烧了,”我对他说。”这只是疲惫的快速旅程引起的。” —

that is all.” “You have been to see Marguerite’s sister?” “Yes; —
“是的,你去看过玛格丽特的姐姐吗?” —

who told you?” “I knew it. Did you get what you wanted?”
“是的,你是谁告诉你的?”

“Yes; but who told you of my journey, and of my reason for taking it?”
“我知道。你得到了你想要的吗?”

“The gardener of the cemetery.”
“是的,但是是谁告诉你我旅程的原因呢?”

“You have seen the tomb?”
“墓地的园丁。”

I scarcely dared reply, for the tone in which the words were spoken proved to me that the speaker was still possessed by the emotion which I had witnessed before, and that every time his thoughts or speech travelled back to that mournful subject emotion would still, for a long time to come, prove stronger than his will. —
我几乎不敢回答,因为他说话的语气向我证明他仍然被我之前所见的那种情感所控制,而且每当他的思绪或言辞回到那个悲伤的主题上时,情感可能还会比他的意志更加强大,而且这种情感在很长一段时间内仍将如此。 —

I contented myself with a nod of the head.
我只是点了点头。

“He has looked after it well?” continued Armand. —
“他照顾得很好吗?”阿尔曼继续说。 —

Two big tears rolled down the cheeks of the sick man, and he turned away his head to hide them from me. —
两滴大泪从病人的脸颊上滚落下来,他转过头去把它们从我面前藏起来。 —

I pretended not to see them, and tried to change the conversation. —
我假装没看到他们,并试图改变话题。 —

“You have been away three weeks,” I said.
“你已经离开三个星期了,”我说道。

Armand passed his hand across his eyes and replied, “Exactly three weeks.”
阿曼德擦了擦眼睛回答说:”确切的三个星期。”

“You had a long journey.”
“你旅行了很长时间。”

“Oh, I was not travelling all the time. —
“哦,我并不是一直在旅行。” —

I was ill for a fortnight or I should have returned long ago; —
“我生病了两个星期,要不然我早就回来了; —

but I had scarcely got there when I took this fever, and I was obliged to keep my room.”
但我刚到那儿时就得了这种病,只能躺在房间里。

“And you started to come back before you were really well?”
“你在真正康复之前就开始回来了?”

“If I had remained in the place for another week, I should have died there.”
“如果我在那儿再待一周,我可能就会死在那里了。”

“Well, now you are back again, you must take care of yourself; —
“好吧,现在你又回来了,你必须保重; —

your friends will come and look after you; —
你的朋友们会来照顾你; —

myself, first of all, if you will allow me.”
首先是我,如果你愿意的话。”

“I shall get up in a couple of hours.”
“过两个小时我会起床的。”

“It would be very unwise.”
“那样非常不明智。”

“I must.”
“我必须这样做。”

“What have you to do in such a great hurry?”
“你在这么匆忙干什么?”

“I must go to the inspector of police.”
“我必须去见警察局长。”

“Why do you not get one of your friends to see after the matter? —
“为什么不让你的朋友负责此事呢? —

It is likely to make you worse than you are now.”
这可能会让你比现在更糟。”

“It is my only chance of getting better. I must see her. —
“这是我唯一好转的机会。我必须见她。” —

Ever since I heard of her death, especially since I saw her grave, I have not been able to sleep. —
自从听说她去世以来,尤其是自从看到她的坟墓以后,我一直无法入睡。 —

I can not realize that this woman, so young and so beautiful when I left her, is really dead. —
我无法相信这个女人,当我离开她时她如此年轻、如此美丽,现在竟然已经离世了。 —

I must convince myself of it. I must see what God has done with a being that I have loved so much, and perhaps the horror of the sight will cure me of my despair. —
我必须亲眼确认。我必须看看上帝如何对待我深爱的人,也许这恐怖的景象能治愈我绝望的心情。 —

Will you accompany me, if it won’t be troubling you too much?”
如果你不介意的话,你能陪我一起去吗?”

“What did her sister say about it?”
“她的姐姐对此有什么说法吗?”

“Nothing. She seemed greatly surprised that a stranger wanted to buy a plot of ground and give Marguerite a new grave, and she immediately signed the authorization that I asked her for.”
“什么也没有。她似乎对一个陌生人想要购买一块地并为玛格丽特修建一个新坟墓感到非常惊讶,然后她立刻签署了我的授权书。”

“Believe me, it would be better to wait until you are quite well.”
“相信我,最好还是等你完全康复再去。”

“Have no fear; I shall be quite composed. —
“别担心,我会很冷静的。” —

Besides, I should simply go out of my mind if I were not to carry out a resolution which I have set myself to carry out. —
况且,如果我不能完成我自己定下的决议,我简直会发疯。 —

I swear to you that I shall never be myself again until I have seen Marguerite. —
我向你发誓,直到见到Marguerite以前,我再也不会恢复正常。 —

It is perhaps the thirst of the fever, a sleepless night’s dream, a moment’s delirium; —
这可能是发烧的痛苦,一个不眠之夜的梦,一时的狂乱; —

but though I were to become a Trappist, like M. de Rance’, after having seen, I will see.”
但即使我成为像M. de Rance一样的修道士,在见到之后,我还是会去见她。

“I understand,” I said to Armand, “and I am at your service. Have you seen Julie Duprat?”
“我明白了,”我对阿尔芒说,“我随时为你效劳。你见过Julie Duprat吗?”

“Yes, I saw her the day I returned, for the first time.”
“是的,我回来的那天第一次见到她。”

“Did she give you the papers that Marguerite had left for you?”
“她给你Marguerite留下的文件了吗?”

Armand drew a roll of papers from under his pillow, and immediately put them back.
阿尔芒从枕头下拿出一卷文件,立即又放了回去。

“I know all that is in these papers by heart,” he said. —
“这些文件里的内容我背得滚瓜烂熟,”他说。 —

“For three weeks I have read them ten times over every day. —
“这三个星期来,我每天都读它们十遍以上。” —

You shall read them, too, but later on, when I am calmer, and can make you understand all the love and tenderness hidden away in this confession. —
你也要读它们,但是等我冷静下来后,我会让你理解这份真情与温柔都隐藏在这份告白中。 —

For the moment I want you to do me a service.”
目前,我希望你帮我一个忙。

“What is it?”
是什么事?

“Your cab is below?”
你的出租车在楼下吗?

“Yes.
是的。

“Well, will you take my passport and ask if there are any letters for me at the poste restante? —
那么,请你带上我的护照,问问邮政局里有没有信件给我。 —

My father and sister must have written to me at Paris, and I went away in such haste that I did not go and see before leaving. —
我父亲和姐姐一定给我写信了,我走得太匆忙,没有在离开之前去看看。 —

When you come back we will go together to the inspector of police, and arrange for to-morrow’s ceremony.”
你回来后,我们一起去警察局,安排明天的仪式。

Armand handed me his passport, and I went to Rue Jean Jacques Rousseau. —
阿尔芒递给我他的护照,我就去了卢浮宫大街。 —

There were two letters addressed to Duval. I took them and returned. —
邮局有两封寄给杜瓦尔的信。我拿了信件回来。 —

When I re-entered the room Armand was dressed and ready to go out.
当我重新进入房间时,阿尔芒已经打扮好准备出去了。

“Thanks,” he said, taking the letters. —
谢谢,他说着拿起了那些信件。 —

“Yes,” he added, after glancing at the addresses, “they are from my father and sister. —
是的,他看了一眼信封后补充道,这封信是我父亲和姐姐写的。 —

They must have been quite at a loss to understand my silence.”
他们肯定很费解地无法理解我沉默的原因。

He opened the letters, guessed at rather than read them, for each was of four pages; —
他打开信件,没有完全阅读,而是猜测着内容,因为每封信有四页。 —

and a moment after folded them up. “Come,” he said, “I will answer tomorrow.”
接着他将它们折叠起来说道:“好吧,我明天再回信。”

We went to the police station, and Armand handed in the permission signed by Marguerite’s sister. —
我们去了警察局,阿尔芒递交了玛格丽特妹妹签字的许可。 —

He received in return a letter to the keeper of the cemetery, and it was settled that the disinterment was to take place next day, at ten o’clock, that I should call for him an hour before, and that we should go to the cemetery together.
换回来,他收到了一封给墓地守卫的信,约定明天十点进行掘墓,我将提前一个小时去找他,我们一起去墓地。

I confess that I was curious to be present, and I did not sleep all night. —
坦白说,我很好奇要亲眼目睹,整个晚上我都没睡。 —

Judging from the thoughts which filled my brain, it must have been a long night for Armand. —
从我的思绪来看,阿尔芒一定度过了漫长的一个夜晚。 —

When I entered his room at nine on the following morning he was frightfully pale, but seemed calm. —
第二天早上九点钟,我进入他的房间时发现他脸色惨白,但看起来很冷静。 —

He smiled and held out his hand. His candles were burned out; —
他微笑着伸出手来,他的蜡烛已经燃尽了; —

and before leaving he took a very heavy letter addressed to his father, and no doubt containing an account of that night’s impressions.
离开之前,他拿起一封非常沉重的写给他父亲的信,毫无疑问是关于那个晚上的印象。

Half an hour later we were at Montmartre. The police inspector was there already. —
半小时后,我们到达了蒙马特山。警察检查员已经在那里了。 —

We walked slowly in the direction of Marguerite’s grave. —
我们缓慢地朝玛格丽特的坟墓方向走去。 —

The inspector went in front; Armand and I followed a few steps behind.
检查员走在前面,阿尔芒和我紧随其后几步。

From time to time I felt my companion’s arm tremble convulsively, as if he shivered from head to feet. —
我时不时感觉到我的伴侣的手臂痉挛地颤抖,仿佛他从头到脚都在发抖。 —

I looked at him. He understood the look, and smiled at me; —
我看着他。他理解了这个眼神,并对我微笑; —

we had not exchanged a word since leaving the house.
自从离开房子后,我们一句话都没有交流过。

Just before we reached the grave, Armand stopped to wipe his face, which was covered with great drops of sweat. —
就在我们到达坟墓之前,阿尔芒停下来擦拭他额头上滴滴答答的汗水。 —

I took advantage of the pause to draw in a long breath, for I, too, felt as if I had a weight on my chest.
我利用这个停顿来深吸一口气,因为我也感觉胸口有一块重物。

What is the origin of that mournful pleasure which we find in sights of this kind? —
我们为什么在这类景象中找到了那种悲伤的愉悦,其起源是什么? —

When we reached the grave the gardener had removed all the flower-pots, the iron railing had been taken away, and two men were turning up the soil.
当我们到达坟墓时,园丁已经移走了所有的花盆,铁栅栏也被拆除了,两个人正在翻土。

Armand leaned against a tree and watched. All his life seemed to pass before his eyes. —
阿尔芒站在一棵树边,注视着。他似乎看到了自己的一生。 —

Suddenly one of the two pickaxes struck against a stone. —
突然,两把镐头中的一把敲到了一块石头上。 —

At the sound Armand recoiled, as at an electric shock, and seized my hand with such force as to give me pain.
听到声音,阿尔芒像受到电击一样退缩了,他用力地抓住我的手,让我感到疼痛。

One of the grave-diggers took a shovel and began emptying out the earth; —
其中一个掘墓人拿起铲子,开始倒出土壤; —

then, when only the stones covering the coffin were left, he threw them out one by one.
然后,当只剩下盖棺材的石头时,他一个一个地扔掉它们。

I scrutinized Armand, for every moment I was afraid lest the emotions which he was visibly repressing should prove too much for him; —
我审视着阿尔芒,因为我时刻担心他明显压抑着的情绪可能对他过于巨大; —

but he still watched, his eyes fixed and wide open, like the eyes of a madman, and a slight trembling of the cheeks and lips were the only signs of the violent nervous crisis under which he was suffering.
但他依然在注视着,眼睛睁得大大的,像疯子一样,轻微的颤抖着脸颊和嘴唇是他所遭受的剧烈神经危机的唯一迹象。

As for me, all I can say is that I regretted having come.
至于我,我只能说我后悔来了。

When the coffin was uncovered the inspector said to the grave-digger: “Open it. —
当棺材被打开时,检察官对墓穴挖掘者说:“打开吧。” —

” They obeyed, as if it were the most natural thing in the world.
他们顺从地照做,仿佛这是理所当然的事情。

The coffin was of oak, and they began to unscrew the lid. —
棺材是橡木制的,他们开始拧开盖子。 —

The humidity of the earth had rusted the screws, and it was not without some difficulty that the coffin was opened. —
由于土壤的潮湿,螺丝生锈了,棺材打开起来并不容易。 —

A painful odour arose in spite of the aromatic plants with which it was covered.
尽管上面覆盖了芳香植物,但仍然传来一股难闻的气味。

“O my God, my God!” murmured Armand, and turned paler than before.
“哦,我的上帝,我的上帝!”阿曼德小声说道,脸色比之前更苍白。

Even the grave-digger drew back.
连墓穴挖掘者也退后了。

A great white shroud covered the corpse, closely outlining some of its contours. —
一块白色的巨大的寿衣覆盖着尸体,紧紧勾勒出一些轮廓。 —

This shroud was almost completely eaten away at one end, and left one of the feet visible.
寿衣在一端几乎完全被腐蚀,露出了一只脚。

I was nearly fainting, and at the moment of writing these lines I see the whole scene over again in all its imposing reality.
我几乎要晕倒,在写下这几行的时候,我再次看见整个场景,真实而庄严。

“Quick,” said the inspector. Thereupon one of the men put out his hand, began to unsew the shroud, and taking hold of it by one end suddenly laid bare the face of Marguerite.
“快点。”检察官说道。于是其中一个男人伸出手来,开始展开殓布,突然揭开了玛格丽特的脸。

It was terrible to see, it is horrible to relate. —
这一幕太可怕了,讲述起来令人不寒而栗。 —

The eyes were nothing but two holes, the lips had disappeared, vanished, and the white teeth were tightly set. —
那双眼睛只剩下两个洞口,嘴唇消失了,牙齿紧紧咬合着。 —

The black hair, long and dry, was pressed tightly about the forehead, and half veiled the green hollows of the cheeks; —
黑发干燥而长,紧紧贴在额头上,半遮住了脸颊的凹陷处,呈现出蓝绿色。 —

and yet I recognised in this face the joyous white and rose face that I had seen so often.
然而,我在这张脸上认出了我曾经多次见过的那张欢乐的白皙脸庞。

Armand, unable to turn away his eyes, had put the handkerchief to his mouth and bit it.
阿尔芒无法扭转视线,紧紧咬住手帕。

For my part, it was as if a circle of iron tightened about my head, a veil covered my eyes, a rumbling filled my ears, and all I could do was to unstop a smelling bottle which I happened to have with me, and to draw in long breaths of it.
至于我,仿佛头部被一圈铁箍紧紧勒住,眼前一片模糊,耳中充满了隆隆声,我只能拿出一个我刚好随身携带的香味瓶,深吸几口。

Through this bewilderment I heard the inspector say to Duval, “Do you identify?”
就在这困惑中,我听到检察官对杜瓦尔说道:“您确认吗?”

“Yes,” replied the young man in a dull voice.
“是的,”年轻人用沉闷的声音回答道。

“Then fasten it up and take it away,” said the inspector.
“那就收好并带走它,”检查员说道。

The grave-diggers put back the shroud over the face of the corpse, fastened up the coffin, took hold of each end of it, and began to carry it toward the place where they had been told to take it.
推土工把裹尸布再次盖在尸体的脸上,捆好棺材,每人握住一端,开始向他们被告知要带去的地方搬运。

Armand did not move. His eyes were fixed upon the empty grave; —
阿曼德没有动。他的目光紧盯着空荡的坟墓; —

he was as white as the corpse which we had just seen. —
他脸色苍白,如同我们刚才见到的尸体一般。 —

He looked as if he had been turned to stone.
他看起来像被石化了一样。

I saw what was coming as soon as the pain caused by the spectacle should have abated and thus ceased to sustain him. —
我看出来了,一旦这场景引起的痛苦减轻,他就会崩溃。 —

I went up to the inspector. “Is this gentleman’s presence still necessary? —
我走到检查员跟前。“这位先生还需要留下吗? —

” I said, pointing to Armand.
”我指着阿曼德说。

“No,” he replied, “and I should advise you to take him away. He looks ill.”
“不需要了,”他回答说,“我建议你把他带走,他看起来不舒服。”

“Come,” I said to Armand, taking him by the arm.
“来吧,”我对阿曼德说,拉住他的胳膊。

“What?” he said, looking at me as if he did not recognise me.
“什么?”他看着我,好像不认识我了。

“It is all over,” I added. “You must come, my friend; you are quite white; —
“一切都结束了,”我补充说。“你必须走了,我的朋友;你的脸色苍白; —

you are cold. These emotions will be too much for you.”
你很冷。这些情绪对你来说太多了。

“You are right. Let us go,” he answered mechanically, but without moving a step.
“你说得对。我们走吧。”他机械地回答,但没有迈出一步。

I took him by the arm and led him along. —
我拉住他的胳膊,带着他走。 —

He let himself be guided like a child, only from time to time murmuring, “Did you see her eyes? —
他像个孩子一样任由我引导,只是时不时低声说着,“你看见她的眼睛了吗?” —

” and he turned as if the vision had recalled her.
他转身好像回忆起了那个景象。

Nevertheless, his steps became more irregular; he seemed to walk by a series of jerks; —
然而,他的步伐变得更加不规则;他似乎是一阵阵地走动; —

his teeth chattered; his hands were cold; —
他的牙齿不住地打颤;他的手冰凉; —

a violent agitation ran through his body. —
一种剧烈的不安掠过他的身体。 —

I spoke to him; —
我对他说话; —

he did not answer. He was just able to let himself be led along. A cab was waiting at the gate. —
他没有回答。他只能任由我引导。一辆出租车在门口等着。 —

It was only just in time. Scarcely had he seated himself, when the shivering became more violent, and he had an actual attack of nerves, in the midst of which his fear of frightening me made him press my hand and whisper: —
来得正是时候。他刚坐下,颤抖变得更剧烈了,他实际上是在发疯,在这个疯狂中,他担心吓到我,于是拉住了我的手低声说着: —

“It is nothing, nothing. I want to weep.”
“没事,没事。我想哭。”

His chest laboured, his eyes were injected with blood, but no tears came. —
他胸膛起伏不定,眼睛充血,但没有眼泪流下来。 —

I made him smell the salts which I had with me, and when we reached his house only the shivering remained.
我让他闻了我带在身上的盐,当我们到达他家时,只有战栗还存在。

With the help of his servant I put him to bed, lit a big fire in his room, and hurried off to my doctor, to whom I told all that had happened. —
在他的佣人的帮助下,我让他上床休息,点燃了他房间的一堆大火,然后匆匆去找我的医生,把所发生的事情告诉了他。 —

He hastened with me.
他急忙跟着我走。

Armand was flushed and delirious; he stammered out disconnected words, in which only the name of Marguerite could be distinctly heard.
阿曼德面红发热,神志不清地结巴着一些断断续续的话,其中只能听到玛格丽特这个名字清晰可辨。

“Well?” I said to the doctor when he had examined the patient.
“怎么样?” 我对医生说,当他检查完病人后。

“Well, he has neither more nor less than brain fever, and very lucky it is for him, for I firmly believe (God forgive me! —
“嗯,他除了患了脑热之外,还有什么都没有。对他来说非常幸运,因为我坚信(上帝原谅我!),他本来可能会发疯的。 —

) that he would have gone out of his mind. —
“幸运的是,身体上的疾病会消除心理上的疾病,一个月后他将摆脱前者,也许连后者都会消失。” —

Fortunately, the physical malady will kill the mental one, and in a month’s time he will be free from the one and perhaps from the other.”