“Good-evening, my dear Gaston,” said Marguerite to my companion. —
“晚上好,亲爱的加斯东,”玛格丽特对我的朋友说道。 —

“I am very glad to see you. Why didn’t you come to see me in my box at the Variétés?”
“见到你我很高兴。为什么你不去看我在综艺剧院的包厢呢?”

“I was afraid it would be indiscreet.”
“我怕那样会有些冒昧。”

“Friends,” and Marguerite lingered over the word, as if to intimate to those who were present that in spite of the familiar way in which she greeted him, Gaston was not and never had been anything more than a friend, “friends are always welcome.”
“朋友们,”玛格丽特对这个词停顿了一下,仿佛暗示在场的人,尽管她对他的亲密方式打招呼,但加斯东从来都只是一个朋友,“朋友们永远受欢迎。”

“Then, will you permit me to introduce M. Armand Duval?”
“那么,请允许我介绍一下阿尔芒·杜瓦尔先生。”

“I had already authorized Prudence to do so.”
“我已经授权普鲁登斯这么做了。”

“As far as that goes, madame,” I said, bowing, and succeeding in getting more or less intelligible sounds out of my throat, “I have already had the honour of being introduced to you.”
“至于这一点,夫人,”我鞠躬说道,费了些力气才从喉咙里发出听得懂的声音,“我已经有幸被您介绍了。”

Marguerite’s beautiful eyes seemed to be looking back in memory, but she could not, or seemed not to, remember.
玛格丽特美丽的双眼似乎追溯着回忆,但她似乎没有或者假装没有记起来。

“Madame,” I continued, “I am grateful to you for having forgotten the occasion of my first introduction, for I was very absurd and must have seemed to you very tiresome. —
“夫人,”我继续说,“我感激您忘记了我初次见面那天的尴尬,对您来说,我肯定是非常烦人的。 —

It was at the Opera Comique, two years ago; —
那是两年前在歌剧院, —

I was with Ernest de ——.”
我和欧内斯特一起去的。”

“Ah, I remember,” said Marguerite, with a smile. “It was not you who were absurd; —
“啊,我记得了,”玛格丽特笑着说,“尴尬的并不是你, —

it was I who was mischievous, as I still am, but somewhat less. —
是我淘气了一些,不过现在好一点了。 —

You have forgiven me?”
你原谅我了吗?”

And she held out her hand, which I kissed.
她伸出手,我吻了一下。

“It is true,” she went on; “you know I have the bad habit of trying to embarrass people the first time I meet them. —
“事实是,”她继续说,“你知道,我有个坏习惯,第一次见面时总喜欢让人尴尬。 —

It is very stupid. My doctor says it is because I am nervous and always ill; —
这种行为很愚蠢。我的医生说这是因为我的神经紧张,总是生病; —

believe my doctor.”
相信我的医生。”

“But you seem quite well.”
“可是你看起来很健康啊。”

“Oh! I have been very ill.”
“哦!我病得很重。”

“I know.”
“我知道。”

“Who told you?”
“谁告诉你的?”

“Every one knew it; I often came to inquire after you, and I was happy to hear of your convalescence.”
“大家都知道;我经常来问候你,听到你康复了,我很高兴。”

“They never gave me your card.”
“他们从未把你的名片给我。”

“I did not leave it.”
“我没有留下它。”

“Was it you, then, who called every day while I was ill, and would never leave your name?”
“那是你吗?在我生病期间每天打电话来却不肯留下名字的那个人?”

“Yes, it was I.”
“是,是我。”

“Then you are more than indulgent, you are generous. —
“那么你不仅宽容,而且慷慨。” —

You, count, wouldn’t have done that,” said she, turning toward M. de N., after giving me one of those looks in which women sum up their opinion of a man.
你,伯爵,不会那样做的,”她对着纳欧格先生说完后,又对我投以了那种女人对男人意见的眼神。

“I have only known you for two months,” replied the count.
“我只认识你两个月了,”伯爵回答道。

“And this gentleman only for five minutes. You always say something ridiculous.”
“而这位绅士我认识才五分钟,你总是说一些荒谬的话。”

Women are pitiless toward those whom they do not care for. The count reddened and bit his lips.
女人对那些她们不关心的人是无情的。伯爵脸红了,咬着嘴唇。

I was sorry for him, for he seemed, like myself, to be in love, and the bitter frankness of Marguerite must have made him very unhappy, especially in the presence of two strangers.
我为他感到难过,因为他似乎像我一样陷入了爱河,玛格丽特的痛快直言肯定会让他很不开心,尤其是在两位陌生人在场的情况下。

“You were playing the piano when we came in,” I said, in order to change the conversation. —
“我们进来时你正在弹钢琴。”我说,想改变话题。 —

“Won’t you be so good as to treat me as an old acquaintance and go on?”
“请你把我当作老朋友,继续弹吧?”

“Oh,” said she, flinging herself on the sofa and motioning to us to sit down, “Gaston knows what my music is like. —
“哦,”她说着,猛地扑倒在沙发上,示意我们坐下,“加斯东知道我的音乐是什么样的。” —

It is all very well when I am alone with the count, but I won’t inflict such a punishment on you.”
当我和伯爵独处时还好,但我不会让你们忍受这样的折磨。”

“You show me that preference?” said M. de N., with a smile which he tried to render delicately ironical.
“你向我展示了这种偏爱?”德·纳波尔说着,试图带着一丝嘲讽的微笑。

“Don’t reproach me for it. It is the only one. —
“不要指责我。这是唯一的一个。 —

” It was fated that the poor man was not to say a single word. —
“可怜的人注定不能说一句话。 —

He cast a really supplicating glance at Marguerite.
他向玛格丽特投去了一瞥祈求的目光。

“Well, Prudence,” she went on, “have you done what I asked you to do?”
“好了,普鲁登斯,”她继续说道,“你按照我吩咐你做的事情做了吗?”

“Yes.
“是的。”

“All right. You will tell me about it later. —
“好的。以后你会告诉我的。 —

We must talk over it; don’t go before I can speak with you.”
我们必须要谈谈;在我和你说话之前不要走。”

“We are doubtless intruders,” I said, “and now that we, or rather I, have had a second introduction, to blot out the first, it is time for Gaston and me to be going.”
“我们无疑是闯入者,”我说,“既然我们,或者更确切地说是我,已经有了第二次介绍,来抵消第一次,那么是时候让加斯东和我走了。”

“Not in the least. I didn’t mean that for you. I want you to stay.”
“一点也不是。我不是说你们。我想让你们留下来。”

The count took a very elegant watch out of his pocket and looked at the time. —
伯爵从口袋里拿出一只非常优雅的手表,看了看时间。 —

“I must be going to my club,” he said. Marguerite did not answer. —
“我得去俱乐部了。”他说。玛格丽特没有回答。 —

The count thereupon left his position by the fireplace and going up to her, said: —
于是伯爵离开了他在壁炉旁的位置,走到她面前,说道: —

“Adieu, madame.”
“再会,夫人。”

Marguerite rose. “Adieu, my dear count. Are you going already?”
玛格丽特起身。“再会,我亲爱的伯爵。你要走了吗?”

“Yes, I fear I am boring you.”
“是的,我觉得我在无聊你。”

“You are not boring me to-day more than any other day. When shall I be seeing you?”
“今天你没有比平常麻烦我多一些,你什么时候来找我呢?”

“When you permit me.”
“只要你允许,随时都可以。”

“Good-bye, then.”
“再见。”

It was cruel, you will admit. Fortunately, the count had excellent manners and was very good-tempered. —
你们会同意的,这真是残酷。幸好,伯爵非常有礼貌,且脾气很好。 —

He merely kissed Marguerite’s hand, which she held out to him carelessly enough, and, bowing to us, went out.
他只是轻轻地吻了吻玛格丽特的手,她漫不经心地伸出手来,然后向我们鞠了一躬,走了出去。

As he crossed the threshold, he cast a glance at Prudence. —
当他越过门槛时,他瞥了普吕登斯一眼。 —

She shrugged her shoulders, as much as to say:
她耸了耸肩,好像在说:

“What do you expect? I have done all I could.”
“你还能指望什么呢?我已经尽力了。”

“Nanine!” cried Marguerite. “Light M. le Comte to the door.”
“Nanine!”玛格丽特喊道。“把伯爵送到门口。”

We heard the door open and shut.
我们听到门开关上声音。

“At last,” cried Marguerite, coming back, “he has gone! —
“终于,”玛格丽特喊道,回来了,“他走了!” —

That man gets frightfully on my nerves!”
那个人真让我紧张得难受!

“My dear child,” said Prudence, “you really treat him too badly, and he is so good and kind to you. —
“亲爱的孩子,”普鲁登斯说,“你对他实在太差了,而他对你又那么好,那么亲切。 —

Look at this watch on the mantel-piece, that he gave you: —
看看这个放在壁炉上的手表,是他送给你的: —

it must have cost him at least three thousand francs, I am sure.”
我敢肯定,它至少得花他三千法郎。”

And Mme. Duvernoy began to turn it over, as it lay on the mantel-piece, looking at it with covetous eyes.
于是杜维尔瓦夫人开始转动它,它就放在壁炉上,用垂涎的眼神看着它。

“My dear,” said Marguerite, sitting down to the piano, “when I put on one side what he gives me and on the other what he says to me, it seems to me that he buys his visits very cheap.”
“亲爱的,”玛格丽特坐在钢琴前说,“当我把他给我的东西和他对我说的话放在一边时,我觉得他的拜访给得太便宜了。”

“The poor fellow is in love with you.”
“那个可怜的家伙爱上了你。”

“If I had to listen to everybody who was in love with me, I shouldn’t have time for my dinner.”
“如果我要听每个爱上我的人的话,我就没有时间吃晚饭了。”

And she began to run her fingers over the piano, and then, turning to us, she said:
她开始用手指弹奏钢琴,然后转身对我们说:

“What will you take? I think I should like a little punch.”
“你们想吃点什么?我想来点朗姆酒。”

“And I could eat a little chicken,” said Prudence. “Suppose we have supper?”
“我还可以吃一点鸡肉,”普鲁登斯说。“我们来吃晚餐吧?”

“That’s it, let’s go and have supper,” said Gaston.
“没错,让我们去吃晚餐,”加斯东说。

“No, we will have supper here.”
“不,我们就在这里吃晚餐。”

She rang, and Nanine appeared.
她按铃,南宁走了进来。

“Send for some supper.”
“叫些晚餐来。”

“What must I get?”
“我该叫些什么?”

“Whatever you like, but at once, at once.”
“随你喜欢,但是马上,立刻。”

Nanine went out.
南宁出去了。

“That’s it,” said Marguerite, jumping like a child, “we’ll have supper. —
“就这样,”玛格丽特跳来跳去像个孩子,“我们要吃晚餐了。 —

How tiresome that idiot of a count is!”
那个愚蠢的伯爵真烦人!”

The more I saw her, the more she enchanted me. She was exquisitely beautiful. —
我越看她越迷人。她的美丽真是精致。 —

Her slenderness was a charm. I was lost in contemplation.
她的苗条身材令人着迷。我沉醉在凝视中。

What was passing in my mind I should have some difficulty in explaining. —
我挺难解释我心里正在发生什么。 —

I was full of indulgence for her life, full of admiration for her beauty. —
我对她的生活充满宽容,对她的美丽充满钦佩。 —

The proof of disinterestedness that she gave in not accepting a rich and fashionable young man, ready to waste all his money upon her, excused her in my eyes for all her faults in the past.
她在不接受一个富有且时髦的年轻人的慷慨花钱之前表示出的无私,让我对她过去的所有错误都原谅了。

There was a kind of candour in this woman. You could see she was still in the virginity of vice. —
这个女人身上有一种坦率的气质。你可以看出她还停留在邪恶的纯洁状态中。 —

Her firm walk, her supple figure, her rosy, open nostrils, her large eyes, slightly tinged with blue, indicated one of those ardent natures which shed around them a sort of voluptuous perfume, like Eastern vials, which, close them as tightly as you will, still let some of their perfume escape. —
她坚定的步伐,柔软的身材,红润的鼻孔,微微带有蓝色的大眼睛,显示出那种炽热的天性,散发出一种像东方瓶中的香气,无论你如何紧紧封闭它们,仍然会透出一些香气。 —

Finally, whether it was simple nature or a breath of fever, there passed from time to time in the eyes of this woman a glimmer of desire, giving promise of a very heaven for one whom she should love. —
最后,无论是天性还是一丝发热的气息,这个女人的眼里不时闪现出一丝渴望的闪光,为那个她爱的人带来了一个极乐的天堂。 —

But those who had loved Marguerite were not to be counted, nor those whom she had loved.
但是爱过玛格丽特的人无法计算,也无法计算她所爱过的人。

In this girl there was at once the virgin whom a mere nothing had turned into a courtesan, and the courtesan whom a mere nothing would have turned into the most loving and the purest of virgins. —
在这个女孩身上,既有一个只是一点点变成妓女的处女,也有一个只是一点点变成最爱、最纯洁的处女。 —

Marguerite had still pride and independence, two sentiments which, if they are wounded, can be the equivalent of a sense of shame. —
玛格丽特仍然保持着自尊和独立,这两种情感如果受到伤害,可能会等同于一种羞耻感。 —

I did not speak a word; my soul seemed to have passed into my heart and my heart into my eyes.
我一句话也没说;我的灵魂似乎已经转移到了我的心中,而我的心则转移到了我的眼睛里。

“So,” said she all at once, “it was you who came to inquire after me when I was ill?”
“那么,”她突然说道,”你就是在我生病时来打听我的人吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Do you know, it was quite splendid of you! How can I thank you for it?”
“你知道吗,那真的太棒了!我该如何感谢你呢?”

“By allowing me to come and see you from time to time.”
“让我能够随时来看望你就可以了。”

“As often as you like, from five to six, and from eleven to twelve. —
“从五点到六点,以及从十一点到十二点,你可以随时来。” —

Now, Gaston, play the Invitation à la Valse.”
现在,加斯东,演奏《邀请华尔兹》。

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“To please me, first of all, and then because I never can manage to play it myself.”
“首先是为了取悦我,另外是因为我自己总是弹不好它。”

“What part do you find difficult?”
“你觉得哪一个部分难吗?”

“The third part, the part in sharps.”
“第三部分,有升号的那一部分。”

Gaston rose and went to the piano, and began to play the wonderful melody of Weber, the music of which stood open before him.
加斯东站起身走到钢琴旁,开始演奏韦伯的美妙旋律,乐谱就在他面前展开着。

Marguerite, resting one hand on the piano, followed every note on the music, accompanying it in a low voice, and when Gaston had come to the passage which she had mentioned to him, she sang out, running her fingers along the top of the piano:
玛格丽特伸手靠在钢琴上,跟随着音符伴唱,并在低音中运行她的手指。当加斯顿弹到她提到的那个乐句时,她唱出来了,同时她的手指沿着钢琴上方滑动。

“Do, re, mi, do, re, fa, mi, re; that is what I can not do. Over again.”
“Do, re, mi, do, re, fa, mi, re; 这是我无法做到的。再来一遍。”

Gaston began over again, after which Marguerite said:
加斯顿重新开始,然后玛格丽特说:

“Now, let me try.”
“现在,让我试试。”

She took her place and began to play; but her rebellious fingers always came to grief over one of the notes.
她找到自己的位置开始弹奏,但她倔强的手指总是无法正确按下其中一个音符。

“Isn’t it incredible,” she said, exactly like a child, “that I can not succeed in playing that passage? —
“难以置信吧,”她像个孩子一样说道,“我居然无法成功地弹奏那个乐句? —

Would you believe that I sometimes spend two hours of the morning over it? —
你能相信我有时候早上会花两个小时练习它吗? —

And when I think that that idiot of a count plays it without his music, and beautifully, I really believe it is that that makes me so furious with him. —
当我想到那个白痴伯爵居然能不看乐谱去演奏,并且演奏得如此美妙,我真的觉得这才是让我对他如此愤怒的原因。 —

” And she began again, always with the same result.
“而她又开始了,结果还是一样。

“The devil take Weber, music, and pianos! —
“让魏伯、音乐和钢琴都见鬼去吧! —

” she cried, throwing the music to the other end of the room. —
“她大喊道,把乐谱扔到房间另一边去。 —

“How can I play eight sharps one after another? —
“我怎么能连续弹奏八个加号呢? —

” She folded her arms and looked at us, stamping her foot. —
“她叉起双臂看着我们,脚又跺了一下。 —

The blood flew to her cheeks, and her lips half opened in a slight cough.
血液涌上了她的脸颊,她的嘴唇微微张开,发出一阵轻微的咳嗽声。

“Come, come,” said Prudence, who had taken off her hat and was smoothing her hair before the glass, “you will work yourself into a rage and do yourself harm. —
“来吧,来吧,”普鲁登斯说道,她已经摘下帽子,正在镜子前整理头发,“你会让自己生气而伤害自己的。 —

Better come and have supper; for my part, I am dying of hunger.”
“还是过来吃点东西吧,我都饿死了。”

Marguerite rang the bell, sat down to the piano again, and began to hum over a very risky song, which she accompanied without difficulty. —
玛格丽特按响了铃,重新坐到钢琴前,开始哼唱一首非常冒险的歌曲,她毫不费力地伴奏着。 —

Gaston knew the song, and they gave a sort of duet.
加斯东认识这首歌,于是他们开始了一种类似二重唱的表演。

“Don’t sing those beastly things,” I said to Marguerite, imploringly.
“别唱那些可恶的东西,”我恳求地对玛格丽特说。

“Oh, how proper you are!” she said, smiling and giving me her hand. —
“哦,你多么规矩啊!”她笑着说,递给我她的手。 —

“It is not for myself, but for you.”
“这不是为了我自己,而是为了你。”

Marguerite made a gesture as if to say, “Oh, it is long since that I have done with propriety! —
玛格丽特做了一个手势,好像在说:“哦,我早就不在乎规矩了!” —

” At that moment Nanine appeared.
此时,娜妮娜出现了。

“Is supper ready?” asked Marguerite. “Yes, madame, in one moment.”
“晚饭准备好了吗?”玛格丽特问道。“是的,夫人,立刻就好。”

“Apropos,” said Prudence to me, “you have not looked round; —
“顺便说一下,”普鲁登斯对我说,“你还没有四处看看;来,我带你去看看。”正如你知道的,客厅是个奇迹般的地方。 —

come, and I will show you.” As you know, the drawing-room was a marvel.
玛格丽特陪我们走了一会儿;然后她叫上加斯东,和他一起去看看晚饭是否准备好了。

Marguerite went with us for a moment; then she called Gaston and went into the dining-room with him to see if supper was ready.
“啊,”普鲁登斯一眼瞥见一个小小的萨克斯花瓶,“我从来不知道你有这个小绅士。”

“Ah,” said Prudence, catching sight of a little Saxe figure on a side-table, “I never knew you had this little gentleman.”
“哪个?”

“Which?”
“一个拿着鸟笼的小牧羊人。”

“A little shepherd holding a bird-cage.”
“喜欢的话,拿走吧。”

“Take it, if you like it.”
“我不会让你失去它的。”

“I won’t deprive you of it.”
“太好了,”普鲁登斯看见一边桌上的小绅士,笑着说,“我从来不知道你有这个小绅士。”

“I was going to give it to my maid. I think it hideous; but if you like it, take it.”
“我打算把它给我的女仆。我觉得它很丑陋,但如果你喜欢的话,就拿去吧。”

Prudence only saw the present, not the way in which it was given. —
普鲁登斯只看到了礼物,而没注意到礼物的赠送方式。 —

She put the little figure on one side, and took me into the dressing-room, where she showed me two miniatures hanging side by side, and said:
她把小雕像放在一边,带我进了化妆室,她向我展示了两幅并排挂着的肖像画,并说:

“That is the Comte de G., who was very much in love with Marguerite; —
“那是很爱玛格丽特的贵族德格伯爵; —

it was he who brought her out. Do you know him?”
是他给她引荐出来的。你认识他吗?”

“No. And this one?” I inquired, pointing to the other miniature.
“不认识。那另一幅呢?”我指着另一幅肖像问道。

“That is the little Vicomte de L. He was obliged to disappear.”
“那是小维康特德L。他被迫离开了。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because he was all but ruined. That’s one, if you like, who loved Marguerite.”
“因为他几乎破产了。这是个喜欢玛格丽特的人。”

“And she loved him, too, no doubt?”
“而她也爱他,毫无疑问吧?”

“She is such a queer girl, one never knows. —
“她是个古怪的女孩,谁也说不准。 —

The night he went away she went to the theatre as usual, and yet she had cried when he said good-bye to her.”
他离开的那晚,她照常去了剧院,但当他跟她说再见时,她却哭了。”

Just then Nanine appeared, to tell us that supper was served.
就在此时,纳宁出现了,告诉我们晚餐已经准备好了。

When we entered the dining-room, Marguerite was leaning against the wall, and Gaston, holding her hands, was speaking to her in a low voice.
当我们进入餐厅时,玛格丽特靠在墙上,而加斯顿则牵着她的手,低声与她交谈。

“You are mad,” replied Marguerite. “You know quite well that I don’t want you. —
“你疯了,”玛格丽特回答道。“你很清楚我不想要你。 —

It is no good at the end of two years to make love to a woman like me. —
两年后对我这样的女人表达爱意没有任何意义。 —

With us, it is at once, or never. Come, gentlemen, supper!”
对于我们来说,要么马上,要么永远不要来。来吧,先生们,吃晚餐吧!”

And, slipping away from Gaston, Marguerite made him sit on her right at table, me on her left, then called to Nanine:
然后,玛格丽特从加斯顿身边溜走,让他坐在她右边,我坐在她左边,然后她对娜妮娜说:

“Before you sit down, tell them in the kitchen not to open to anybody if there is a ring.”
在坐下之前,告诉厨房的人如果有人敲门就不要开。

This order was given at one o’clock in the morning.
这个命令是在凌晨一点发出的。

We laughed, drank, and ate freely at this supper. —
在这个晚宴上,我们笑得很开心,喝得很畅快,吃得很放肆。 —

In a short while mirth had reached its last limit, and the words that seem funny to a certain class of people, words that degrade the mouth that utters them, were heard from time to time, amidst the applause of Nanine, of Prudence, and of Marguerite. —
不久之后,欢笑达到了极限,那些对某些人来说似乎有趣但却贬低了说出它们的嘴巴的话语,时不时地响起,得到娜妮娜、普鲁登斯和玛格丽特的掌声。 —

Gaston was thoroughly amused; he was a very good sort of fellow, but somewhat spoiled by the habits of his youth. —
加斯东非常高兴;他是一个非常好的人,但在年轻时有些被惯坏了。 —

For a moment I tried to forget myself, to force my heart and my thoughts to become indifferent to the sight before me, and to take my share of that gaiety which seemed like one of the courses of the meal. —
一时间,我试图忘记自己,强迫自己的心和思绪对眼前的景象变得漠不关心,要分享那似乎是一顿饭里的一道菜的快乐。 —

But little by little I withdrew from the noise; —
但是渐渐地,我远离了嘈杂声; —

my glass remained full, and I felt almost sad as I saw this beautiful creature of twenty drinking, talking like a porter, and laughing the more loudly the more scandalous was the joke.
我的杯子仍然满了,看着这个美丽的二十岁的女孩喝酒、说话就像个搬运工,笑声越是下流的笑话越是大声。

Nevertheless, this hilarity, this way of talking and drinking, which seemed to me in the others the mere results of bad company or of bad habits, seemed in Marguerite a necessity of forgetting, a fever, a nervous irritability. —
然而,对我来说,在其他人身上看到的这种欢乐、说话和喝酒,似乎只是坏交际圈或坏习惯的结果,但在玛格丽特身上,这似乎是一种忘记的必要,一种发烧、神经过敏。 —

At every glass of champagne her cheeks would flush with a feverish colour, and a cough, hardly perceptible at the beginning of supper, became at last so violent that she was obliged to lean her head on the back of her chair and hold her chest in her hands every time that she coughed. —
每当喝一杯香槟,她的脸颊都会泛起发热的红晕,一开始几乎察觉不到的咳嗽最后变得如此严重,以至于每次咳嗽时她都不得不靠在椅背上,双手捂住胸口。 —

I suffered at the thought of the injury to so frail a constitution which must come from daily excesses like this. —
想到她这样虚弱的体质每天都会因这样的过度而受到伤害,我感到痛心。 —

At length, something which I had feared and foreseen happened. —
最终,我曾经担心并预见的事情发生了。 —

Toward the end of supper Marguerite was seized by a more violent fit of coughing than any she had had while I was there. —
晚餐快结束时,玛格丽特突然咳嗽得更加剧烈,比我在场时任何时候都要厉害。 —

It seemed as if her chest were being torn in two. —
她的胸腔仿佛被撕裂成两半。 —

The poor girl turned crimson, closed her eyes under the pain, and put her napkin to her lips. —
可怜的女孩因痛苦而脸红,闭上了眼睛,把餐巾放在嘴唇上。 —

It was stained with a drop of blood. She rose and ran into her dressing-room.
它上面沾着一滴血。她站起来跑进她的化妆室。

“What is the matter with Marguerite?” asked Gaston.
“玛格丽特怎么了?”加斯顿问道。

“She has been laughing too much, and she is spitting blood. Oh, it is nothing; —
“她笑得太多,现在吐血了。哦,没什么大不了的;她这样每时每刻都在做。” —

it happens to her every day. She will be back in a minute. —
这种情况每天都发生在她身上。她马上就会回来。 —

Leave her alone. She prefers it.”
别管她。她喜欢这样。

I could not stay still; and, to the consternation of Prudence and Nanine, who called to me to come back, I followed Marguerite.
我无法保持安静;而且,对于普鲁登斯和娜宁来说,他们呼唤我回来,我却跟着玛格丽特去了。