OUR MASTER.My new teacher pleases me also, since this morning. —
我们的老师。我的新老师也让我很满意,自从今天早上。 —

While we were coming in, and when he was already seated at his post, some one of his scholars of last year every now and then peeped in at the door to salute him; —
当我们进来的时候,当他已经坐在自己的位置上时,去年的一些学生时不时地偷偷看着门口向他问候; —

they would present themselves and greet him:—
他们会走上前去向他致意:

“Good morning, Signor Teacher!” “Good morning, Signor Perboni! —
“早上好,老师先生!”“早上好,佩尔博尼先生!” —

” Some entered, touched his hand, and ran away. —
有些人走进来,碰一下他的手,然后跑开。 —

It was evident that they liked him, and would have liked to return to him. —
很明显,他们喜欢他,而且想再回到他身边。 —

He responded, “Good morning,” and shook the hands which were extended to him, but he looked at no one; —
他回答道“早上好”,握了伸向他的手,但他没有看向任何人。 —

at every greeting his smile remained serious, with that perpendicular wrinkle on his brow, with his face turned towards the window, and staring at the roof of the house opposite; —
每次问候时,他的微笑都保持严肃,额头上还有那根垂直的皱纹,他的脸朝着窗户,盯着对面房子的屋顶; —

and instead of being cheered by these greetings, he seemed to suffer from them. —
他似乎并没有因这些问候而感到高兴,反而似乎受到了伤害。 —

Then he surveyed us attentively, one after the other. —
然后,他仔细地打量着我们,逐个审视。 —

While he was dictating, he descended and walked among the benches,[4] and, catching sight of a boy whose face was all red with little pimples, he stopped dictating, took the lad’s face between his hands and examined it; —
在他口述时,他走到了长凳之间,看到一个脸上满是小疙瘩的男孩,于是停下口述,用双手握住男孩的脸仔细查看; —

then he asked him what was the matter with him, and laid his hand on his forehead, to feel if it was hot. —
然后问他怎么了,还用手摸了摸他的额头,感受是否发热。 —

Meanwhile, a boy behind him got up on the bench, and began to play the marionette. —
与此同时,身后的一个男孩站到长凳上,开始玩木偶。 —

The teacher turned round suddenly; the boy resumed his seat at one dash, and remained there, with head hanging, in expectation of being punished. —
老师突然转身;男孩一下子坐回位置,低着头等待受罚。 —

The master placed one hand on his head and said to him:—
老师把一只手放在他的头上,对他说:“别再这么做了。”仅此而已。

“Don’t do so again.” Nothing more.
然后他返回到桌子前,完成口述。

Then he returned to his table and finished the dictation. —
口述结束后,他静静地看着我们片刻; —

When he had finished dictating, he looked at us a moment in silence; —
然后,他用沉稳而慈祥的嗓音,以极其缓慢的速度说道: —

then he said, very, very slowly, with his big but kind voice:—
“听着。我们有一年要在一起度过;让我们确保这一年过得愉快。努力学习,做个好孩子。

“Listen. We have a year to pass together; let us see that we pass it well. Study and be good. —
我没有家人;你们就是我的家人。去年我还有一个母亲:她去世了。我独自一人了。 —

I have no family; you are my family. Last year I had still a mother: she is dead. I am left alone. —
在这个世界上除了你们,我没有任何人;我没有其他的情感,没有其他的想法,只有你们: —

I have no one but you in all the world; I have no other affection, no other thought than you: —
我没有任何其他的爱,没有任何其他的思绪。” —

you must be my sons. I wish you well, and you must like me too. —
你们一定是我的儿子。我祝你们一切顺利,你们也一定会喜欢我。 —

I do not wish to be obliged to punish any one. Show me that you are boys of heart: —
我不愿意被迫惩罚任何人。向我证明你们是有心肠的孩子: —

our school shall be a family, and you shall be my consolation and my pride. —
我们的学校将成为一个大家庭,你们将是我的慰藉和骄傲。 —

I do not ask you to give me a promise on your word of honor; —
我不要求你们发誓保证; —

I am sure that in your hearts you have already answered me ‘yes,’ and I thank you.”
我确信你们的内心已经回答过我“是”,我感谢你们。”

At that moment the beadle entered to announce the close of school. —
就在那时,看门人进来宣布放学的时间。 —

We all left our seats very, very quietly. —
我们都非常,非常安静地离开座位。 —

The boy who had stood up on the bench approached the master, and said to him, in a trembling voice:[5]—
那个站在长凳上的男孩走向老师,颤抖着声音说:[5]—

“Forgive me, Signor Master.”
“请原谅我,老师。”

The master kissed him on the brow, and said, “Go, my son.”
老师在他的额头上亲了一口,说:“走吧,我的儿子。”