The, to Carrie, very important theatrical performance was to take place at the Avery on conditions which were to make it more noteworthy than was at first anticipated. —
厄普莉在艾弗里剧院演出的条件十分重要,使这场戏比最初预期的更引人注目。 —

The little dramatic student had written to Hurstwood the very morning her part was brought her that she was going to take part in a play.
那位年轻的戏剧学生在拿到她的角色当天早上写信给赫斯特伍德,告诉他她要参与一部戏剧。

“I really am,” she wrote, feeling that he might take it as a jest; —
她写道:“我真的要参加,诚实地。” —

“I have my part now, honest, truly.”
赫斯特伍德笑着宽容地看着这封信。

Hurstwood smiled in an indulgent way as he read this.
“我想知道这是什么戏?我一定要去看看。”

“I wonder what it is going to be? I must see that.”
他立刻回信,称赞了她的能力。

He answered at once, making a pleasant reference to her ability. —
“我毫不怀疑你会取得成功。 —

“I haven’t the slightest doubt you will make a success. —
你必须明天早上来公园告诉我所有的细节。” —

You must come to the park to-morrow morning and tell me all about it.”
厄普莉乐意配合,将她所了解的所有参与细节都告诉了赫斯特伍德。

Carrie gladly complied, and revealed all the details of the undertaking as she understood it.
“很好,”他说,“太棒了。我很高兴听到这个消息。当然,你会表现出色,你是如此聪明。”

“Well,” he said, “that’s fine. I’m glad to hear it. Of course, you will do well, you’re so clever.”
他真的从未见过这个女孩如此充满活力。

He had truly never seen so much spirit in the girl before. —
她发现悲伤的倾向这一次暂时消失了。 —

Her tendency to discover a touch of sadness had for the nonce disappeared. —
她说话时眼睛明亮,脸颊通红。 —

As she spoke her eyes were bright, her cheeks red. —
她散发出她的项目给她带来的很多快乐。 —

She radiated much of the pleasure which her undertakings gave her. —
她传递着她的项目给她带来的很多快乐。 —

For all her misgivings – and they were as plentiful as the moments of the day – she was still happy. —
尽管她有很多犹豫和担忧,但她仍然很快乐。 —

She could not repress her delight in doing this little thing which, to an ordinary observer, had no importance at all.
她无法抑制自己对于这件微不足道的小事感到高兴,对于普通人来说,这事并不重要。

Hurstwood was charmed by the development of the fact that the girl had capabilities. —
赫斯特伍德被这个事实发展所吸引,发现这个女孩有能力。 —

There is nothing so inspiring in life as the sight of a legitimate ambition, no matter how incipient. —
在生活中,没有什么比合理的雄心更鼓舞人心,无论它多么初现。 —

It gives colour, force, and beauty to the possessor.
它给予拥有者色彩、力量和美丽。

Carrie was now lightened by a touch of this divine afflatus. —
卡丽现在被一丝神性的灵感所点亮。 —

She drew to herself commendation from her two admirers which she had not earned. —
她从她两个仰慕者那里获得了赞美,而这并不是她应得的。 —

Their affection for her naturally heightened their perception of what she was trying to do and their approval of what she did. —
他们对她的感情自然地提高了他们对她所努力做的事情的认识,以及对她所做的事情的赞许。 —

Her inexperience conserved her own exuberant fancy, which ran riot with every straw of opportunity, making of it a golden divining rod whereby the treasure of life was to be discovered.
她的缺乏经验保留了她自己活力四射的想象,每一个机会都激发着她的金色占卜杖,通过它她将发现生活的宝藏。

“Let’s see,” said Hurstwood, “I ought to know some of the boys in the lodge. I’m an Elk myself.”
“让我看看,”赫斯特伍德说,“我应该认识一些男生在这个俱乐部。我自己也是一名麋鹿会的成员。”

“Oh, you mustn’t let him know I told you.”
“哦,你千万不要让他知道是我告诉你的。”

“That’s so,” said the manager.
“是啊,”经理说。

“I’d like for you to be there, if you want to come, but I don’t see how you can unless he asks you.”
“如果他不邀请你,我不知道你怎么能去。”

“I’ll be there,” said Hurstwood affectionately. —
“我会去的,”赫斯特伍德充满深情地说。 —

“I can fix it so he won’t know you told me. —
“我可以安排好让他不知道你告诉了我。” —

You leave it to me.”
你就放心交给我吧。

This interest of the manager was a large thing in itself for the performance, for his standing among the Elks was something worth talking about. —
经理的兴趣本身就是表演中的一个重要因素,因为他在麋鹿会中的地位是值得谈论的。 —

Already he was thinking of a box with some friends, and flowers for Carrie. —
他已经和几个朋友商量好要订一排座位,并为凯丽买花。 —

He would make it a dress-suit affair and give the little girl a chance.
他会打扮得体,并给这个小姑娘一个机会。

Within a day or two, Drouet dropped into the Adams Street resort, and he was at once spied by Hurstwood. —
过了一两天,德鲁艾特进入了亚当斯街的休息处,伦斯伍德立刻发现了他。 —

It was at five in the afternoon and the place was crowded with merchants, actors, managers, politicians, a goodly company of rotund, rosy figures, silk-hatted, starchy-bosomed, beringed and bescarfpinned to the queen’s taste. —
那是下午五点,在场的商人、演员、经理、政治家等人络绎不绝,一个庄重、红润的团体,戴着丝顶礼帽、胸前整洁的衬衫,金戒指和丝巾别针亮晶晶的。 —

John L. Sullivan, the pugilist, was at one end of the glittering bar, surrounded by a company of loudly dressed sports, who were holding a most animated conversation. —
拳击手约翰·L·沙利文坐在闪闪发光的吧台一端,周围是一群穿着豪华的运动员,他们正在进行一个非常热烈的对话。 —

Drouet came across the floor with a festive stride, a new pair of tan shoes squeaking audibly at his progress.
德鲁艾特迈着节奏明快的步伐走过地板,脚上一双新的小号皮鞋在前进时发出尖锐的声音。

“Well, sir,” said Hurstwood, “I was wondering what had become of you. I thought you had gone out of town again.”
“嗯,先生,“赫斯伍德说,“我一直在想你去哪了。我以为你又出城了。”

Drouet laughed.
德鲁艾特笑了。

“If you don’t report more regularly we’ll have to cut you off the list.”
“如果你不更经常汇报情况,我们将不得不把你从名单上删掉。”

“Couldn’t help it,” said the drummer, “I’ve been busy.”
“情况让我忙不过来,”鼓手说,“我一直很忙。”

They strolled over toward the bar amid the noisy, shifting company of notables. —
他们在嘈杂、变换不定的知名人士群中朝吧台走去。 —

The dressy manager was shaken by the hand three times in as many minutes.
那个穿着得体的经理在三分钟内被握了三次手。

“I hear your lodge is going to give a performance,” observed Hurstwood, in the most offhand manner.
“我听说你们的联谊会要演出,”赫斯伍德以最随意的方式说道。

“Yes, who told you?”
“是的,是谁告诉你的?”

“No one,” said Hurstwood. “They just sent me a couple of tickets, which I can have for two dollars. —
“没人告诉我,”赫斯特伍德说。”他们只是给我寄来了两张票,我可以用两美元买下来。 —

Is it going to be any good?”
“演出会是怎样的呢?”

“I don’t know,” replied the drummer. “They’ve been trying to get me to get some woman to take a part.”
“我不知道,”鼓手回答道。”他们一直试图让我找一个女人来参加。

“I wasn’t intending to go,” said the manager easily. —
“我本不打算去的,”经理轻松地说道。 —

“I’ll subscribe, of course. How are things over there?”
“我当然会订购。那边的情况怎么样?”

“All right. They’re going to fit things up out of the proceeds.”
“挺好的。他们打算用收入装修一下。

“Well,” said the manager, “I hope they make a success of it. Have another?”
“嗯,”经理说,”我希望他们能成功。再来一杯吗?”

He did not intend to say any more. Now, if he should appear on the scene with a few friends, he could say that he had been urged to come along. —
他不打算说更多了。现在,如果他带着几个朋友出现在现场,他可以说他受到了邀请。 —

Drouet had a desire to wipe out the possibility of confusion.
德鲁埃特想要消除混乱的可能性。

“I think the girl is going to take a part in it,” he said abruptly, after thinking it over.
“我觉得那个女孩会参加演出,”他突然说道,思考片刻后。

“You don’t say so! How did that happen?”
“你别说!怎么会这样?”

“Well, they were short and wanted me to find them some one. —
“他们缺人,想让我找一个。我告诉了凯丽,她好像想试试。 —

I told Carrie, and she seems to want to try.”
“她真棒,”经理说。”这将是一个真正美好的活动。

“Good for her,” said the manager. “It’ll be a real nice affair. —
“太好了。” —

Do her good, too. Has she ever had any experience?”
你也要对她好。她有过什么经验吗?

“Not a bit.”
“一点也没有。”

“Oh, well, it isn’t anything very serious.”
“哦,那没什么大不了的。”

“She’s clever, though,” said Drouet, casting off any imputation against Carrie’s ability. —
“她很聪明,” Drouet说,对Carrie的能力毫不怀疑。 —

“She picks up her part quick enough.”
“她很快就能掌握自己的角色。”

“You don’t say so!” said the manager.
“你别说!”经理说道。

“Yes, sir; she surprised me the other night. By George, if she didn’t.”
“是的,先生;她让我感到惊讶,前几天那场演出。天哪,真是出乎意料!”

“We must give her a nice little send-off,” said the manager. “I’ll look after the flowers.”
“我们得送她个好一点的欢送会,” 经理说道。「我会负责花的事情。」

Drouet smiled at his good-nature.
Drouet对他的友好笑了笑。

“After the show you must come with me and we’ll have a little supper.”
“演出结束后要跟我来,我们一起吃顿小饭。”

“I think she’ll do all right,” said Drouet.
“我觉得她会做得很好,” Drouet说。

“I want to see her. She’s got to do all right. —
“我要见见她。她必须做得很好。 —

We’ll make her,” and the manager gave one of his quick, steely half-smiles, which was a compound of good-nature and shrewdness.
我们会帮她的,” 经理露出他那种既友好又精明的半笑。

Carrie, meanwhile, attended the first rehearsal. —
与此同时,Carrie参加了第一次排练。 —

At this performance Mr. Quincel presided, aided by Mr. Millice, a young man who had some qualifications of past experience, which were not exactly understood by any one. —
这场演出由Quincel先生主持,得到了Millice先生的协助,他是一个有着一些过往经验的年轻人,这些经验并没有被任何人完全理解。 —

He was so experienced and so business-like, however, that he came very near being rude – failing to remember, as he did, that the individuals he was trying to instruct were volunteer players and not salaried underlings.
他非常有经验,非常像个商人,但他几乎失礼了–他忘记了,他试图指导的人是志愿者演员,而不是受薪的下属。

“Now, Miss Madenda,” he said, addressing Carrie, who stood in one part uncertain as to what move to make, “you don’t want to stand like that. —
“现在,玛登达小姐,”他对站在一旁不确定该怎么办的凯丽说,“你不要站成这样。 —

Put expression in your face. Remember, you are troubled over the intrusion of the stranger. —
给你的脸带点表情。记住,你为了这个陌生人的闯入而烦恼。 —

Walk so,” and he struck out across the Avery stage in a most drooping manner.
这样走,”他以一种非常低沉的方式横穿埃弗里舞台。

Carrie did not exactly fancy the suggestion, but the novelty of the situation, the presence of strangers, all more or less nervous, and the desire to do anything rather than make a failure, made her timid. —
凯丽并不完全喜欢这个建议,但是情况的新奇,陌生人的存在,所有多多少少都有些紧张,以及希望做任何事情而不是失败的愿望,使她很害羞。 —

She walked in imitation of her mentor as requested, inwardly feeling that there was something strangely lacking.
她照着导师的示范走,内心感觉有某种奇怪的缺失。

“Now, Mrs. Morgan,” said the director to one young married woman who was to take the part of Pearl, “you sit here. —
“现在,摩根夫人,”导演对一位年轻已婚妇女说,她将扮演珍珠的角色,“你坐在这里。 —

Now, Mr. Bamberger, you stand here, so. Now, what is it you say?”
现在,班伯格先生,你站在这里,就这样。现在,你说什么来着?”

“Explain,” said Mr. Bamberger feebly. He had the part of Ray, Laura’s lover, the society individual who was to waver in his thoughts of marrying her, upon finding that she was a waif and a nobody by birth.
“解释,”班伯格先生无力地说道。他演的是雷,劳拉的恋人,一个社交圈子里的人,后来发现她出身卑微,开始动摇是否要与她结婚的念头。

“How is that – what does your text say?”
“这样怎么样–你的台词是什么说的?”

“Explain,” repeated Mr. Bamberger, looking intently at his part.
“解释,”班伯格先生再次重复,专注地看着自己的台词。

“Yes, but it also says,” the director remarked, “that you are to look shocked. —
“是的,但它也提到了,”导演说,“你应该看起来震惊。 —

Now, say it again, and see if you can’t look shocked.”
现在,再说一遍,看看你是否能看起来震惊。”

“Explain!” demanded Mr. Bamberger vigorously.
“解释!”班伯格先生强烈要求道。

“No, no, that won’t do! Say it this way – explain.”
“不,不,那样不行!这样说–解释。”

“Explain,” said Mr. Bamberger, giving a modified imitation.
“’解释,’巴姆贝格先生说着,做了一个稍作调整的模仿。

“That’s better. Now go on.”
“这样好了。接着说。”

“One night,” resumed Mrs. Morgan, whose lines came next, “father and mother were going to the opera. —
“一天晚上,”接着说话的是摩根太太,“父母正要去听歌剧。 —

When they were crossing Broadway, the usual crowd of children accosted them for alms-”
当他们穿过百老汇时,一群孩子像往常一样向他们要钱-”

“Hold on,” said the director, rushing forward, his arm extended. —
“等等,”导演冲上前去,伸出手臂。 —

“Put more feeling into what you are saying.”
“在你的话里加点感情。”

Mrs. Morgan looked at him as if she feared a personal assault. Her eye lightened with resentment.
摩根太太看着他,仿佛害怕被人攻击。她的眼中闪过愤怒。

“Remember, Mrs. Morgan,” he added, ignoring the gleam, but modifying his manner, “that you’re detailing a pathetic story. —
“记住,摩根太太,”他无视那道光芒,但调整了自己的态度说道,“你现在正在讲述一段悲伤的故事。 —

You are now supposed to be telling something that is a grief to you. —
你现在应该讲述的是一件使你感到痛苦的事情。 —

It requires feeling, repression, thus: ‘The usual crowd of children accosted them for alms.’”
需要表现出感情,压抑自己,就像这样说:‘一群孩子像往常一样向他们要钱。’”

“All right,” said Mrs. Morgan.
“好的,”摩根太太说。

“Now, go on.”
“接着说。”

“As mother felt in her pocket for some change, her fingers touched a cold and trembling hand which had clutched her purse.”
“在母亲摸钱包找零钱时,手指碰到一只冰冷而颤抖的手,那只手抓住了她的钱包。”

“Very good,” interrupted the director, nodding his head significantly.
“非常好,”导演打断说,重重地点头示意。

“A pickpocket! Well!” exclaimed Mr. Bamberger, speaking the lines that here fell to him.
“扒手!哦!”班贝格先生说着,念到了这里应该由他来说的台词。”

“No, no, Mr. Bamberger,” said the director, approaching, “not that way. —
“不,不,班伯格先生”,导演走过来说,“不是那样做。 —

‘A pickpocket – well?’ so. That’s the idea.”
“扒手–好吧?那就是主意。”

“Don’t you think,” said Carrie weakly, noticing that it had not been proved yet whether the members of the company knew their lines, let alone the details of expression, “that it would be better if we just went through our lines once to see if we know them? —
“你不觉得”,凯丽虚弱地说道,注意到团员们还没有证明他们是否知道台词,更不用说表达的细节了,“我们只是简单地过一遍台词,看看我们是否知道它们,会不会有提高。” —

We might pick up some points.”
“我们可能会学到一些要点。”

“A very good idea, Miss Madenda,” said Mr. Quincel, who sat at the side of the stage, looking serenely on and volunteering opinions which the director did not heed.
“很好的主意,麦岛女士”,坐在舞台边的昆塞尔先生说,“我们过一遍,尽量加入表情。”

“All right,” said the latter, somewhat abashed, “it might be well to do it.” —
“好的”,导演有些局促地说,“这样做可能是个好主意。” —

Then brightening, with a show of authority, “Suppose we run right through, putting in as much expression as we can.”
然后振作起来,露出权威的姿态,“假设我们直接过一遍,尽量加入表情。”

“Good,” said Mr. Quincel.
“好的”,昆塞尔先生说。

“This hand,” resumed Mrs. Morgan, glancing up at Mr. Bamberger and down at her book, as the lines proceeded, “my mother grasped in her own, and so tight that a small, feeble voice uttered an exclamation of pain. —
“这只手”,摩根夫人继续说,抬起头看看班伯格先生,又看看她手中的书,台词继续,“我母亲用自己手抓得很紧,小小的、虚弱的声音发出了一声疼痛的惊呼。 —

Mother looked down, and there beside her was a little ragged girl.”
母亲低头一看,她旁边是一个破烂不堪的小女孩。”

“Very good,” observed the director, now hopelessly idle.
“很好”,导演评论道,现在完全无事可做。

“The thief!” exclaimed Mr. Bamberger.
“小偷!”班伯格先生叫道。

“Louder,” put in the director, finding it almost impossible to keep his hands off.
“大声点”,导演插话道,几乎无法控制自己不去干涉。

“The thief!” roared poor Bamberger.
“小偷!”可怜的班伯格大叫。

“Yes, but a thief hardly six years old, with a face like an angel’s. —
“是的,但一个几乎六岁的小小偷,长着一个天使般的脸孔。 —

‘Stop,’ said my mother. ‘What are you doing?’
“‘停下来,’我妈妈说。‘你在干什么?’”

”‘Trying to steal,’ said the child.
“‘试图偷东西,’孩子说。

”‘Don’t you know that it is wicked to do so?’ asked my father.
“‘你不知道这样做是邪恶的吗?’我爸爸问道。

”‘No,’ said the girl, ‘but it is dreadful to be hungry.’
“‘不知道,’女孩说,‘但饥饿是可怕的。’

”‘Who told you to steal?’ asked my mother.
“‘是谁告诉你要偷的?’我妈妈问。

”‘She – there,’ said the child, pointing to a squalid woman in a doorway opposite, who fled suddenly down the street. —
“‘她–在那儿,’孩子指着对面一个门口里的一个肮脏的女人,那个女人突然下了街。 —

‘That is old Judas,’ said the girl.”
‘那是老朱大斯,’女孩说。”

Mrs. Morgan read this rather flatly, and the director was in despair. —
摩根夫人读得相当平淡,导演陷入了绝望。 —

He fidgeted around, and then went over to Mr. Quincel.
他四处踱步,然后走到昆塞尔先生身边。

“What do you think of them?” he asked.
“你认为他们怎么样?”他问道。

“Oh, I guess we’ll be able to whip them into shape,” said the latter, with an air of strength under difficulties.
“哦,我想我们应该能够把他们调教成形,”昆塞尔说,带着一种在困难下的力量气息。

“I don’t know,” said the director. “That fellow Bamberger strikes me as being a pretty poor shift for a lover.”
“我不知道,”导演说。“那个家伙班伯格给我的印象还不错。”

“He’s all we’ve got,” said! Quincel, rolling up his eyes. —
“他是我们唯一能找到的,”昆塞尔说,翻着白眼。 —

“Harrison went back on me at the last minute. —
“哈里森在最后一刻背叛了我。 —

Who else can we get?”
还能找到谁呢?”

“I don’t know,” said the director. “I’m afraid he’ll never pick up.”
“我不知道,”导演说道。“我担心他永远不会接电话。”

At this moment Bamberger was exclaiming, “Pearl, you are joking with me.”
此刻,班伯格正在惊叹:“珍珠,你在和我开玩笑。”

“Look at that now,” said the director, whispering behind his hand. “My Lord! —
“看看这个,”导演掩嘴低语。“天啊!你能对一个像那样拖沓地说出一句话的人怎么办?” —

what can you do with a man who drawls out a sentence like that?”
“尽力而为吧,”昆塞尔安慰地说。

“Do the best you can,” said Quincel consolingly.
演绎进行到这个地方,直到凯丽作为劳拉进入房间向雷解释,雷在听到珍珠关于她出生的声明后,写了一封否认她的信,但他没有递送。

The rendition ran on in this wise until it came to where Carrie, as Laura, comes into the room to explain to Ray, who, after hearing Pearl’s statement about her birth, had written the letter repudiating her, which, however, he did not deliver. —
班伯格刚刚结束雷的话:“在她回来之前我必须走。她的脚步声!” —

Bamberger was just concluding the words of Ray, “I must go before she returns. Her step! —
“Look at that now,” said the director, whispering behind his hand. “My Lord! What can you do with a man who drawls out a sentence like that?” —

Too late,” and was cramming the letter in his pocket, when she began sweetly with:
“太迟了,”她甜美地开始说,正把信塞进口袋里。

“Ray!”
“雷!”

“Miss – Miss Courtland,” Bamberger faltered weakly.
班伯格虚弱地支吾道:“考特兰小姐。”

Carrie looked at him a moment and forgot all about the company present. —
嘉莉看着他片刻,完全忘记了在场的其他人。 —

She began to feel the part, and summoned an indifferent smile to her lips, turning as the lines directed and going to a window, as if he were not present. —
她开始感受到角色,摆出漠然的微笑,按照台词的指示转向窗户,好像他并不在场。 —

She did it with a grace which was fascinating to look upon.
她的表现令人着迷。

“Who is that woman?” asked the director, watching Carrie in her little scene with Bamberger.
“那个女人是谁?”导演问道,看着嘉莉和班伯格的小场景。

“Miss Madenda,” said Quincel.
“玛登达小姐,”昆塞尔说。

“I know her name,” said the director, “but what does she do?”
“我知道她的名字,”导演说,“但她是做什么的?”

“I don’t know,” said Quincel. “She’s a friend of one of our members.”
“我不清楚,”昆塞尔说,“她是我们一个成员的朋友。”

“Well, she’s got more gumption than any one I’ve seen here so far – seems to take an interest in what she’s doing.”
“嗯,她比我在这里看到的任何人都更有眼光–似乎对自己在做的事情感兴趣。”

“Pretty, too, isn’t she?” said Quincel.
“漂亮,对吧?”昆塞尔说。

The director strolled away without answering.
导演漫步而去,没有回答。

In the second scene, where she was supposed to face the company in the ball-room, she did even better, winning the smile of the director, who volunteered, because of her fascination for him, to come over and speak with her.
在第二场戏中,她应该在舞厅面对全体公司,她表现得更好,赢得了导演的微笑,导演因为她对他的吸引力,主动过来和她交谈。

“Were you ever on the stage?” he asked insinuatingly.
“你以前演过戏吗?”他含沙射影地问道。

“No,” said Carrie.
“不,”凯丽说。

“You do so well, I thought you might have had some experience.”
“你表现得这么好,我还以为你可能有一些经验。”

Carrie only smiled consciously.
凯丽只是有意识地微笑着。

He walked away to listen to Bamberger, who was feebly spouting some ardent line.
他走开去听那些无力地滔滔不绝的话语。

Mrs. Morgan saw the drift of things and gleamed at Carrie with envious and snapping black eyes.
摩根太太看出了事情的发展,用嫉妒和尖刻的黑色眼睛瞥了凯丽一眼。

“She’s some cheap professional,” she gave herself the satisfaction of thinking, and scorned and hated her accordingly.
“她只是一名廉价的职业演员,”她心满意足地想着,因此看不起和憎恨她。

The rehearsal ended for one day, and Carrie went home feeling that she had acquitted herself satisfactorily. —
排练结束了一天,凯丽回家感觉自己表现令人满意。 —

The words of the director were ringing in her ears, and she longed for an opportunity to tell Hurstwood. —
导演的话还在她耳边回荡,她渴望告诉赫斯伍德。 —

She wanted him to know just how well she was doing. Drouet, too, was an object for her confidences. —
她希望他知道她表现得多么出色。德鲁埃特也是她倾诉的对象。 —

She could hardly wait until he should ask her, and yet she did not have the vanity to bring it up. —
她迫不及待地希望他问起,但又没有自负到主动提起。 —

The drummer, however, had another line of thought to-night, and her little experience did not appeal to him as important. —
然而,这位鼓手今晚有别的想法,她的小经历并没有引起他的重视。 —

He let the conversation drop, save for what she chose to recite without solicitation, and Carrie was not good at that. —
除非凯丽主动背诵,否则他就让谈话停止了,而凯丽并不擅长这一点。 —

He took it for granted that she was doing very well and he was relieved of further worry. —
他认为她表现得很好,于是暂时放下了担心。 —

Consequently he threw Carrie into repression, which was irritating. —
于是他让凯丽感到压抑,这让她很烦躁。 —

She felt his indifference keenly and longed to see Hurstwood. —
她感受到他的冷漠,渴望见到赫斯伍德。 —

It was as if he were now the only friend she had on earth. —
好像他现在是她在地球上唯一的朋友。 —

The next morning Drouet was interested again, but the damage had been done.
第二天早上,德鲁埃再次感兴趣,但伤害已经造成。

She got a pretty letter from the manager, saying that by the time she got it he would be waiting for her in the park. —
她收到经理的一封漂亮的信,信中说她收到信时他会在公园等她。 —

When she came, he shone upon her as the morning sun.
当她来的时候,他对她照射如早晨的阳光。

“Well, my dear,” he asked, “how did you come out?”
“亲爱的,你的演出怎么样了?”

“Well enough,” she said, still somewhat reduced after Drouet.
“还好,”她说,受到德鲁埃之后仍然有些沮丧。

“Now, tell me just what you did. Was it pleasant?”
“告诉我你做了什么。很愉快吗?”

Carrie related the incidents of the rehearsal, warming up as she proceeded.
嘉莉讲述了彩排的事件,随着进行,她变得兴奋起来。

“Well, that’s delightful,” said Hurstwood. “I’m so glad. —
“太好了,”赫斯特伍德说。 “我很高兴。 —

I must get over there to see you. When is the next rehearsal?”
我必须去看看你。下一次排练是什么时候?”

“Tuesday,” said Carrie, “but they don’t allow visitors.”
“星期二,”嘉莉说, “但他们不允许访客。”

“I imagine I could get in,” said Hurstwood significantly.
“我想我可以进去,”赫斯特伍德含义深长地说。

She was completely restored and delighted by his consideration, but she made him promise not to come around.
她完全恢复了,对他的体贴感到高兴,但让他答应不要过来。

“Now you must do your best to please me,” he said encouragingly. —
“现在你必须尽力取悦我,”他鼓励地说。 —

“Just remember that I want you to succeed. —
“记住,我希望你成功。” —

We will make the performance worth while. You do that now.”
我们将使表现更值得。你现在就这样做吧。

“I’ll try,” said Carrie, brimming with affection and enthusiasm.
“我会尽力的,”凯丽充满了爱和热情。

“That’s the girl,” said Hurstwood fondly. —
“乖女孩,“赫斯特伍德亲切地说。 —

“Now, remember,” shaking an affectionate finger at her, “your best.”
“现在记住,“他用亲切的手指指着她,”尽你最大的努力”

“I will,” she answered, looking back.
“我会的,“她回答着,回头看了一眼。

The whole earth was brimming sunshine that morning. —
那天早晨整个地球都充满了阳光。 —

She tripped along, the clear sky pouring liquid blue into her soul. —
她轻快地走着,晴朗的天空把湛蓝倾泻到她的灵魂。 —

Oh, blessed are the children of endeavour in this, that they try and are hopeful. —
啊,在这个世界上,那些努力奋斗的孩子们是多么幸福,因为他们努力尝试并充满希望。 —

And blessed also are they who, knowing, smile and approve.
也是多么幸福的是那些明白真相的人们微笑并认可。