For a moment after Mr. and Mrs. Darling left the house the night-lights by the beds of the three children continued to burn clearly. —
在达林先生和夫人离开房子后的一瞬间,三个孩子床边的小夜灯仍然明亮地亮着。 —

They were awfully nice little night-lights, and one cannot help wishing that they could have kept awake to see Peter; —
这些夜灯真是太好了,人们都希望它们能够保持清醒,看见彼得; —

but Wendy’s light blinked and gave such a yawn that the other two yawned also, and before they could close their mouths all the three went out.
但温迪的灯闪了一下,打了个哈欠,其他两个也打了个哈欠,还没来得及合上嘴巴,三个灯都熄灭了。

There was another light in the room now, a thousand times brighter than the night-lights, and in the time we have taken to say this, it had been in all the drawers in the nursery, looking for Peter’s shadow, rummaged the wardrobe and turned every pocket inside out. —
房间里又有一道光,比夜灯亮一千倍,我们说这段话的时间里,它已经在儿房间里的所有抽屉里闪烁着,找寻彼得的影子,翻遍了衣柜,把每一个口袋都翻个底朝天。 —

It was not really a light; it made this light by flashing about so quickly, but when it came to rest for a second you saw it was a fairy, no longer than your hand, but still growing. —
它并不是真正的光,它通过迅速闪烁而产生亮光,但是当它停下来一秒钟,你会发现它是一只精灵,一只不到你手长的精灵,但还在不断长大。 —

It was a girl called Tinker Bell exquisitely gowned in a skeleton leaf, cut low and square, through which her figure could be seen to the best advantage. —
她是一个名叫小叮当的女孩,身着一件精美的骷髅叶裙,低胸方领,使她的身材展现得最好。 —

She was slightly inclined to embonpoint.
她稍微有点偏胖。

A moment after the fairy’s entrance the window was blown open by the breathing of the little stars, and Peter dropped in. —
就在仙女进来的一刹那,小星星的呼吸吹开了窗户,彼得从窗户里掉了下来。 —

He had carried Tinker Bell part of the way, and his hand was still messy with the fairy dust.
他曾经抱着小叮当一段路,他的手上还沾满了仙女粉。

“Tinker Bell,” he called softly, after making sure that the children were asleep, “Tink, where are you? —
“小叮当,”他轻声呼唤着,在确保孩子们睡着之后,“叮当,你在哪儿? —

” She was in a jug for the moment, and liking it extremely; she had never been in a jug before.
“她暂时在一个罐子里,而且非常喜欢它;她以前从未在罐子里呆过。

“Oh, do come out of that jug, and tell me, do you know where they put my shadow?”
“哦,从罐子里出来告诉我,你知道他们把我的影子放在哪里了吗?

The loveliest tinkle as of golden bells answered him. It is the fairy language. —
一个最美丽的金铃声应答了他,这是仙女的语言。 —

You ordinary children can never hear it, but if you were to hear it you would know that you had heard it once before.
你们普通的孩子听不到它,但如果你听到了,你会知道你之前曾听过它。

Tink said that the shadow was in the big box. —
叮当说影子在大盒子里。 —

She meant the chest of drawers, and Peter jumped at the drawers, scattering their contents to the floor with both hands, as kings toss ha’pence to the crowd. —
她指的是抽屉柜,彼得双手扑向抽屉,将里面的物品扔到地板上,就像国王向人群投掷硬币一样。 —

In a moment he had recovered his shadow, and in his delight he forgot that he had shut Tinker Bell up in the drawer.
他立刻找回了他的影子,高兴得忘记了他把小叮当关在抽屉里。

If he thought at all, but I don’t believe he ever thought, it was that he and his shadow, when brought near each other, would join like drops of water, and when they did not he was appalled. —
如果他曾有所思考,但我不相信他曾思考过,他可能认为他和他的影子靠近时会像水滴一样融合,但事实并非如此,这让他感到震惊。 —

He tried to stick it on with soap from the bathroom, but that also failed. —
他试着用浴室里的肥皂粘贴,但也失败了。 —

A shudder passed through Peter, and he sat on the floor and cried.
彼得颤抖了一下,坐在地板上哭了起来。

His sobs woke Wendy, and she sat up in bed. —
他的哭声吵醒了温迪,她坐起来。 —

She was not alarmed to see a stranger crying on the nursery floor; —
她看到一个陌生人在儿童房的地板上哭,并不感到惊慌; —

she was only pleasantly interested.
她只是愉快地感兴趣。

“Boy,” she said courteously, “why are you crying?”
“男孩,”她礼貌地说,“你为什么哭?”

Peter could be exceeding polite also, having learned the grand manner at fairy ceremonies, and he rose and bowed to her beautifully. —
彼得也可以非常礼貌,因为他在仙子仪式上学会了高雅的方式,他站起身,对她做了一个漂亮的鞠躬。 —

She was much pleased, and bowed beautifully to him from the bed.
她非常高兴,从床上美丽地向他鞠躬致意。

“What’s your name?” he asked.
“你叫什么名字?”他问道。

“Wendy Moira Angela Darling,” she replied with some satisfaction. “What is your name?”
“温蒂·莫伊拉·安吉拉·达林,”她满意地回答道。 “你叫什么名字?”

“Peter Pan.”
“彼得·潘。”

She was already sure that he must be Peter, but it did seem a comparatively short name.
她已经确定他一定是彼得,但名字确实相对来说有点短。

“Is that all?”
“就这个吗?”

“Yes,” he said rather sharply. He felt for the first time that it was a shortish name.
“是的,”他有点尖刻地说道。他第一次觉得这是个相对较短的名字。

“I’m so sorry,” said Wendy Moira Angela.
“很抱歉,”温蒂·莫伊拉·安吉拉说。

“It doesn’t matter,” Peter gulped.
“没关系,”彼得咽了口水。

She asked where he lived.
她问他住在哪里。

“Second to the right,” said Peter, “and then straight on till morning.”
“右转第二个,”彼得说,”然后一直往前到早晨。”

“What a funny address!’
“多么有趣的地址!”

Peter had a sinking. For the first time he felt that perhaps it was a funny address.
彼得感到有些不安。第一次他觉得这个地址也许是个有趣的地址。

“No, it isn’t,” he said.
“不,不是的,”他说。

“I mean,” Wendy said nicely, remembering that she was hostess, “is that what they put on the letters?”
“我是说,”温蒂很友善地说,记得自己是女主人,”信上是这样写的吗?”

He wished she had not mentioned letters.
他希望她没有提到信件。

“Don’t get any letters,” he said contemptuously.
“别收到信件,”他傲慢地说道。

“But your mother gets letters?”
“但你的妈妈收到信件吗?”

“Don’t have a mother,” he said. Not only had he no mother, but he had not the slightest desire to have one. —
“我没有妈妈,”他说道。他不仅没有妈妈,而且对有妈妈一点也不感兴趣。 —

He thought them very over-rated persons. —
他觉得他们是被过高评价的人。 —

Wendy, however, felt at once that she was in the presence of a tragedy.
然而,温迪立刻感觉到她置身于一场悲剧之中。

“O Peter, no wonder you were crying,” she said, and got out of bed and ran to him.
“哦,彼得,难怪你哭了,”她说着从床上下来跑向他。

“I wasn’t crying about mothers,” he said rather indignantly. —
“我哭的不是因为妈妈,”他有点气愤地说道。 —

“I was crying because I can’t get my shadow to stick on. —
“是因为我不能让我的影子粘上去。 —

Besides, I wasn’t crying.”
而且,我并没有哭。”

“It has come off?”
“它掉下来了么?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

Then Wendy saw the shadow on the floor, looking so draggled, and she was frightfully sorry for Peter. “How awful! —
然后温迪看见地板上的影子,看起来湿淋淋的,她非常为彼得感到难过。”太可怕了! —

” she said, but she could not help smiling when she saw that he had been trying to stick it on with soap. —
“她说道,但当她看到他一直试着用肥皂粘上它时,她忍不住微笑起来。 —

How exactly like a boy!
多么像个男孩啊!

Fortunately she knew at once what to do. “It must be sewn on,” she said, just a little patronisingly.
幸运的是,她立刻知道该怎么办。“它必须被缝上,”她有点傲慢地说。

“What’s sewn?” he asked.
“缝了什么?”他问道。

“You’re dreadfully ignorant.”
“你真是无知至极。”

“No, I’m not.”
“不,我不是。”

But she was exulting in his ignorance. “I shall sew it on for you, my little man,” she said, though he was tall as herself, and she got out her housewife, and sewed the shadow on to Peter’s foot.
但她对他的无知感到得意洋洋。“我将为你缝上它,我的小伙子,”她说,尽管他和她一样高,她拿出她的针线盒,将影子缝在了彼得的脚上。

“I daresay it will hurt a little,” she warned him.
“我想这可能会有点疼,”她警告他。

“Oh, I shan’t cry,” said Peter, who was already of the opinion that he had never cried in his life. —
“哦,我不会哭的,”彼得说道,他已经认为自己从未哭过。 —

And he clenched his teeth and did not cry, and soon his shadow was behaving properly, though still a little creased.
他咬紧牙关,没有哭泣,很快他的影子就表现得正常了,虽然还有些皱褶。

“Perhaps I should have ironed it,” Wendy said thoughtfully, but Peter, boylike, was indifferent to appearances, and he was now jumping about in the wildest glee. —
“也许我应该把它熨平,”温迪若有所思地说道,但是像个男孩一样,彼得对外表不在乎,他现在正在狂喜地跳来跳去。 —

Alas, he had already forgotten that he owed his bliss to Wendy. He thought he had attached the shadow himself. —
唉,他已经忘记自己的幸福是归功于温迪。他以为是自己把影子缝上的。 —

“How clever I am!” he crowed rapturously, “oh, the cleverness of me!”
“我是多聪明!”他兴奋地叫嚷道,“哦,我是多么聪明啊!”

It is humiliating to have to confess that this conceit of Peter was one of his most fascinating qualities. —
不得不承认,彼得的这种自负是他最吸引人的特质之一,实在有些让人受辱。 —

To put it with brutal frankness, there never was a cockier boy.
以直截了当的方式说吧,从来没有比彼得更自负的男孩了。

But for the moment Wendy was shocked. “You conceit,” she exclaimed, with frightful sarcasm; —
但是此刻温迪感到震惊。“你这个自负的人,”她用可怕的讽刺说道; —

“of course I did nothing!”
“当然,我什么都没做!”

“You did a little,” Peter said carelessly, and continued to dance.
“你总有一点做了,”彼得漫不经心地说着,继续跳舞。

“A little!” she replied with hauteur; —
“一点!”,她傲慢地回答道; —

“if I am no use I can at least withdraw,” and she sprang in the most dignified way into bed and covered her face with the blankets.
“如果我没用,我至少可以退出,”她一本正经地躺到床上,蒙住了脸。

To induce her to look up he pretended to be going away, and when this failed he sat on the end of the bed and tapped her gently with his foot. —
为了让她抬头看他,他假装要走开,当这样做不起作用时,他坐在床尾轻轻地踢了她一下脚。 —

“Wendy,” he said, “don’t withdraw. —
“温迪,”他说,“不要退缩。 —

I can’t help crowing, Wendy, when I’m pleased with myself. —
当我对自己满意时,温迪,我忍不住要吹嘘一番。 —

” Still she would not look up, though she was listening eagerly. —
”她还是不肯抬头,虽然她急切地听着。 —

“Wendy,” he continued, in a voice that no woman has ever yet been able to resist, “Wendy, one girl is more use than twenty boys.”
“温迪,”他继续说道,以一种任何女人都无法抵挡的声音,“温迪,一个女孩的作用比二十个男孩更大。”

Now Wendy was every inch a woman, though there were not very many inches, and she peeped out of the bed-clothes.
温迪是个完全成熟的女人,尽管身材不高,她从被子里偷窥出来。

“Do you really think so, Peter?”
“你真这么认为吗,彼得?

“Yes, I do.”
“是的,我认为是的。”

“I think it’s perfectly sweet of you,” she declared, “and I’ll get up again,” and she sat with him on the side of the bed. —
“我觉得你这样做非常甜蜜,”她宣称,“我会再起床的”,她坐在他的床边。 —

She also said she would give him a kiss if he liked, but Peter did not know what she meant, and he held out his hand expectantly.
她还说如果他愿意的话会给他一个吻,但彼得不知道她的意思,他伸出手来期待着。

“Surely you know what a kiss it?” she asked, aghast.
“你难道不知道吻是什么吗?”她惊讶地问道。

“I shall know when you give it to me,” he replied stiffly, and not to hurt his feeling she gave him a thimble.
“当你给我一个吻的时候,我就会知道了。”他生硬地回答道,为了不伤害他的感觉,她给了他一个针插。

“Now,” said he, “shall I give you a kiss? —
“现在,”他说,“我要给你一个吻? —

” and she replied with a slight primness, “If you please. —
”她带着点端庄的口气回答道,“如果你愿意的话。” —

” She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand, so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on the chain around her neck. —
“她低下头对他撇嘴让自己显得很廉价,可他只是往她手里放了一颗橡子纽扣,于是她慢慢抬起头回到之前的位置,并友好地说她会把他的吻挂在项链上。” —

It was lucky that she did put it on that chain, for it was afterwards to save her life.
她把它挂在项链上真是幸运,因为后来这个吻救了她的命。

When people in our set are introduced, it is customary for them to ask each other’s age, and so Wendy, who always liked to do the correct thing, asked Peter how old he was. —
当我们这个圈子里的人互相介绍时,通常要互相问对方年龄,所以温蒂,总是喜欢做正确的事,问彼得多大岁数。 —

It was not really a happy question to has him; —
这个问题对他来说并不令人愉快; —

it was like an examination paper that asks grammar, when what you want to be asked is Kings of England.
这就像一张考语法的试卷,而你想被问的是英格兰国王。

“I don’t know,” he replied uneasily, “but I am quite young. —
“我不知道,”他不安地回答,“但我很年轻。” —

” He really knew nothing about it, he had merely suspicions, but he said at a venture, “Wendy, I ran away the day I was born.”
他实际上对此一无所知,他只是怀疑,但他试探性地说,“温蒂,我是在我出生的那天逃跑的。”

Wendy was quite surprised, but interested; —
温蒂非常惊讶,但也很感兴趣; —

and she indicated in the charming drawing-room manner, by a touch on her night-gown, that he could sit nearer her.
她用迷人的客厅风格示意他可以靠近她,轻触了一下她的睡袍。

“It was because I heard father and mother,” he explained in a low voice, “talking about what I was to be when I became a man. —
“这是因为我听到爸爸和妈妈在谈论当我长大成人后该怎么样,”他用低声解释道。 —

” He was extraordinarily agitated now. “I don’t want ever to be a man,” he said with passion. “I want always to be a little boy and to have fun. —
“他现在非常激动。”他带着激情说道,“我不想长大成人,我想永远做一个小男孩,享受快乐。 —

So I ran away to Kensington Gardens and lived a long long time among the fairies.”
“所以我逃到了肯辛顿花园,和仙女们一起生活了很长很长时间。”

She gave him a look of the most intense admiration, and he thought it was because he had run away, but it was really because he knew fairies. —
她对他投以最强烈的钦佩眼神,他以为是因为他逃跑了,但其实是因为他认识仙女。 —

Wendy had lived such a home life that to know fairies struck her as quite delightful. —
Wendy过着家庭生活,认识仙女对她来说非常令人愉快。 —

She poured out questions about them, to his surprise, for they were rather a nuisance to him, getting in his way and so on, and indeed he sometimes had to give them a hiding. —
她连连发问关于仙女的问题,这让他惊讶,因为仙女对他来说有点烦人,总是挡道,有时他不得不打它们。 —

Still, he liked them on the whole, and he told her about the beginning of fairies.
尽管如此,他总体上还是喜欢它们,他告诉她仙女的起源。

“You see, Wendy, when the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.”
“你知道吗,温迪,当第一个婴儿第一次笑的时候,它的笑声碎成了一千片,它们都跳跃着四处飞舞,这就是仙子的开始。”

Tedious talk this, but being a stay-at-home she liked it.
作为一个宅家的人,她喜欢闲聊。

“And so,” he went on good-naturedly, “there ought to be one fairy for every boy and girl.”
“所以,”他和蔼地继续说道,“每个男孩和女孩都应该有一个仙子。”

“Ought to be? Isn’t there?”
“应该有吗?难道没有吗?”

“No. You see children know such a lot now, they soon don’t believe in fairies, and every time a child says, ‘I don’t believe in fairies,’ there is a fairy somewhere that falls down dead.”
“不,你看,现在的孩子知道得太多了,他们很快就不再相信仙子,每当一个孩子说‘我不相信仙子’的时候,就会有一个仙子在某个地方死去。”

Really, he thought they had now talked enough about fairies, and it struck him that Tinker Bell was keeping very quiet. —
他确实认为他们已经谈论得够多关于仙子的了,而且他觉得小叮当很安静。 —

“I can’t think where she has gone to,” he said, rising, and he called Tink by name. —
“我想不出她去了哪里。”他起身说,并呼唤着小叮当的名字。 —

Wendy’s heart went flutter with a sudden thrill.
温迪的心因为突如其来的兴奋而怦然跳动。

“Peter,” she cried, clutching him, “you don’t mean to tell me that there is a fairy in this room!”
“彼得,”她抓住他,“你是不是要告诉我这个房间里有一个仙子!”

“She was here just now,” he said a little impatiently. —
“他有点不耐烦地说,“她刚才在这里。” —

“You don’t hear her, do you?” and they both listened.
“你没听见她吗?”他们俩同时倾听着。

“The only sound I hear,” said Wendy, “is like a tinkle of bells.”
温迪说:“我只听到像铃铛一样的声音。”

“Well, that’s Tink, that’s the fairy language. I think I hear her too.”
“那是蓝儿,那是仙子的语言。我也觉得我听到了她。”

The sound come from the chest of drawers, and Peter made a merry face. —
声音来自抽屉,彼得露出了快乐的表情。 —

No one could ever look quite so merry as Peter, and the loveliest of gurgles was his laugh. —
没有人能像彼得那样开心,他的笑声是那样可爱地咯咯响着。 —

He had his first laugh still.
他依然保留着他的第一声笑。

“Wendy,” he whispered gleefully, “I do believe I shut her up in the drawer!”
“温迪”,他愉快地低声说道,”我相信我把她关在抽屉里了!”

He let poor Tink out of the drawer, and she flew about the nursery screaming with fury. —
他把可怜的蓝儿从抽屉里放了出来,她在娃娃屋里飞来飞去,愤怒地尖叫着。 —

“You shouldn’t say such things,” Peter retorted. —
“你不该说这样的话”,彼得反驳道。 —

“Of course I’m very sorry, but how could I know you were in the drawer?”
“当然我很抱歉,但我怎么会知道你在抽屉里呢?”

Wendy was not listening to him. “O Peter,” she cried, “if she would only stand still and let me see her!”
温迪没有听他的话。”哦彼得”,她喊道,”如果她能站在一边让我看看她!”

“They hardly ever stand still,” he said, but for one moment Wendy saw the romantic figure come to rest on the cuckoo clock. —
“他们几乎从不停下来,”他说,但是温蒂看到那浪漫的人物形象在布谷鸟钟上短暂停驻的一瞬间。 2, “They hardly ever stand still,” he said,但温蒂看到了那个浪漫的人物形象停在布谷鸟钟上的一刻。 3, “They hardly ever stand still,” he said,但是温迪看到那个浪漫的人物形象停在了布谷鸟钟上。 4, “They hardly ever stand still,” he said,但温迪却看到布谷鸟钟上停着一个浪漫的人物。 5, “They hardly ever stand still,” he said,但是温迪看到那逼真的形象在布谷鸟钟上停下来。 —

“O the lovely!” she cried, though Tink’s face was still distorted with passion.
“哦,多么可爱!”她喊道,尽管小叮当的脸仍然被激情扭曲着。

“Tink,” said Peter amiably, “this lady ways she wishes you were her fairy.”
“彼得友善地说:“丁克,这位女士说她希望你是她的仙女。”

Tinker Bell answered insolently.
小叮当傲慢地回答道。

“What does she say, Peter?”
“彼得,她说了什么?”

He had to translate. “She is not very polite. —
他不得不翻译。“她不太礼貌。” —

She says you are a great ugly girl, and that she is my fairy.
她说你是一个很丑的女孩,而她是我的仙女。

He tried to argue with Tink. “You know you can’t be my fairy, Tink, because I am an gentleman and you are a lady.”
他试图和小叮当争论。“你知道你不能成为我的仙女,小叮当,因为我是一个绅士,而你是一个淑女。”

To this Tink replied in these words, “You silly ass,” and disappeared into the bathroom. —
对此,小叮当回答道:“你这个傻瓜”,然后消失在浴室里。 —

“She is quite a common fairy,” Peter explained apologetically, “she is called Tinker Bell because she mends the pots and kettles.”
“她是一个相当普通的仙女,”彼得解释道,“她叫铁锤儿小叮当是因为她修补罐子和水壶。”

They were together in the armchair by this time, and Wendy plied him with more questions.
他们此时已经坐在扶手椅里,温迪继续问他更多问题。

“If you don’t live in Kensington Gardens now–”
“如果你现在不住在肯辛顿花园–”

“Sometimes I do still.”
“有时我还是住的。”

“But where do you live mostly now?”
“但是你现在大部分时间住在哪里?”

“With the lost boys.”
“和迷失的男孩们住在一起。”

“Who are they?”
“他们是谁?”

“They are the children who fall out of their perambulators when the nurse is looking the other way. If they are not claimed in seven days they are sent far away to the Neverland to defray expenses. I’m captain.”
“他们就是当保姆看向别的地方时从婴儿车里掉出来的孩子。如果他们在七天内没有被认领,他们就会远赴梦幻岛便宜度日。我是船长。”

“What fun it must be!”
“那一定很有趣!”

“Yes,” said cunning Peter, “but we are rather lonely. —
“是的,”狡猾的彼得说,“但我们有点孤单。” —

You see we have no female companionship.”
你看,我们没有女性陪伴。

“Are none of the others girls?”
其他人都不是女孩吗?

“Oh, no; girls, you know, are much too clever to fall out of their prams.”
噢,不不不,女孩子们聪明得很,才不会掉在婴儿车外面呢。

This flattered Wendy immensely. “I think,” she said, “it is perfectly lovely the way you talk about girls; —
温迪非常高兴听到这样的夸奖。“我觉得,”她说,“你说女孩子的方式简直太可爱了; —

John there just despises us.”
约翰就很瞧不起我们。”

For reply Peter rose and kicked John out of bed, blankets and all; one kick. —
彼得站了起来,一脚把约翰连带着毯子从床上踢了下去;只是一脚而已。 —

This seemed to Wendy rather forward for a first meeting, and she told him with spirit that he was not captain in her house. —
温迪觉得对于第一次见面来说,这样的反应有点过分,她带着勇气告诉他,在她的家里他不是船长。 —

However, John continued to sleep so placidly on the floor that she allowed him to remain there. —
然而,约翰继续平静地在地板上睡着,所以她允许他留在那里。 —

“And I know you meant to be kind,” she said, relenting, “so you may give me a kiss.”
“我知道你是善意的”,她表示慈悲,“所以你可以给我一个吻。”

For the moment she had forgotten his ignorance about kisses. —
她一下子忘记了他不了解吻的意思。 —

“I thought you would want it back,” he said a little bitterly, and offered to return her the thimble.
“我以为你会想要把它拿回去的,”他有点嫉妒地说,并主动要把顶针还给她。

“Oh dear,” said the nice Wendy, “I don’t mean a kiss, I mean a thimble.”
“噢,亲爱的,”温迪说,“我不是指吻,我是指顶针。”

“What’s that?”
“那是什么东西?”

“It’s like this.” She kissed him.
“就是这样。”她亲吻了他。

“Funny!” said Peter gravely. “Now shall I give you a thimble?”
“太好笑了!”彼得一本正经地说,“我给你一个针箍好吗?”

“If you wish to,” said Wendy, keeping her head erect this time.
“如果你愿意的话。”温迪这次昂起头。

Peter thimbled her, and almost immediately she screeched. “What is it, Wendy?”
彼得给她针箍,她几乎立刻尖叫起来。“怎么了,温迪?”

“It was exactly as if someone were pulling my hair.”
“就像有人在拽我的头发一样。”

“That must have been Tink. I never knew her so naughty before.”
“一定是丁克。我以前从未见过她如此调皮。”

And indeed Tink was darting about again, using offensive language.
而丁克果然又飞来飞去,说着冒犯性的话。

“She says she will do that to you, Wendy, every time I give you a thimble.”
“她说每次我给你针箍时她都会这样对你。”

“But why?”
“但为什么呢?”

“Why, Tink?”
“为什么,丁克?”

Again Tink replied, “You silly ass.” Peter could not understand why, but Wendy understood, and she was just slightly disappointed when he admitted that he came to the nursery window not to see her but to listen to stories.
丁克再次回答,“你这个蠢驴。”彼得不明白为什么,但温迪理解了,当他承认他来到儿童房的窗户不是为了看她而是为了听故事时,她稍微有点失望。

“You see, I don’t know any stories. None of the lost boys knows any stories.”
“你知道吗,”彼得问,“为什么燕子要在房檐上筑巢?”

“How perfectly awful,” Wendy said.
“太可怕了,”温迪说。

“Do you know,” Peter asked “why swallows build in the eaves of houses? —
“你知道吗,”彼得问,“为什么燕子要在房檐上筑巢? —

It is to listen to the stories. O Wendy, your mother was telling you such a lovely story.”
听故事是件好事。哦温迪,你妈妈给你讲了一则可爱的故事。”

“Which story was it?”
“是哪个故事?”

“About the prince who couldn’t find the lady who wore the glass slipper.”
“关于一个找不到穿玻璃鞋的女士的王子。”

“Peter,” said Wendy excitedly, “that was Cinderella, and he found her, and they lived happily ever after.”
“彼得,”温迪兴奋地说,“那是灰姑娘,他找到了她,他们幸福地生活在一起。”

Peter was so glad that he rose from the floor, where they had been sitting, and hurried to the window.
彼得非常高兴,他从他们一直坐着的地板上站起来,匆忙走向窗户。

“Where are you going?” she cried with misgiving.
“你要去哪儿?”她带着担心问道。

“To tell the other boys.”
“去告诉其他男孩们。”

“Don’t go Peter,” she entreated, “I know such lots of stories.”
“别走,彼得,”她恳求道,“我还知道很多故事。”

Those were her precise words, so there can be no denying that it was she who first tempted him.
这些正是她的准确的话,所以不容否认是她首先引诱了他。

He came back, and there was a greedy look in his eyes now which ought to have alarmed her, but did not.
他回来了,眼中闪烁着贪婪的神情,这本该引起她的警觉,但她没有。

“Oh, the stories I could tell to the boys! —
“哦,我可以对男孩们讲多少故事啊! —

” she cried, and then Peter gripped her and began to draw her toward the window.
”她喊道,彼得抓住她,开始朝窗户拖她。

“Let me go!” she ordered him.
“放开我!”她命令他。

“Wendy, do come with me and tell the other boys.”
“温迪,跟我一起去,告诉其他男孩们。”

Of course she was very pleased to be asked, but she said, “Oh dear, I can’t. —
当然她非常高兴被邀请,但她说:“哦亲爱的,我不可以。 —

Think of mummy! Besides, I can’t fly.”
想想妈妈!此外,我也不会飞。”

“I’ll teach you.”
“我会教你。”

“Oh, how lovely to fly.”
“哦,真好能飞。”

“I’ll teach you how to jump on the wind’s back, and then away we go.”
“我会教你如何跳上风的背上,然后我们就可以飞走。”

“Oo!” she exclaimed rapturously.
“哦!”她狂喜地叫道。

“Wendy, Wendy, when you are sleeping in your silly bed you might be flying about with me saying funny things to the stars.”
“温迪,温迪,在你睡在你愚蠢的床上的时候,你也可以和我一起在星星面前说些有趣的事情。”

“Oo!”
“哦!”

“And, Wendy, there are mermaids.”
“温迪,还有美人鱼。”

“Mermaids! With tails?”
“美人鱼!有尾巴吗?”

“Such long tails.”
“非常长的尾巴。”

“Oh,” cried Wendy, “to see a mermaid!”
“哦,”温迪喊道,“好想见到美人鱼!”

He had become frightfully cunning. “Wendy,” he said, “how we should all respect you.”
他变得极其狡猾。“温迪,”他说,“我们都应该尊敬你。”

She was wriggling her body in distress. It was quite as if she were trying to remain on the nursery floor.
她在痛苦中扭动身体。就好像她试图留在托儿所的地板上。

But he had no pity for her.
但他对她毫不怜悯。

“Wendy,” he said, the sly one, “you could tuck us in at night.”
“温迪,”他诡计多端地说,“你可以给我们晚上掖好被子。”

“Oo!”
“哦!”

“None of us has ever been tucked in at night.”
“我们没有人被人晚上掖好过被子。”

“Oo,” and her arms went out to him.
“哦,”她伸出双臂向他靠近。

“And you could darn our clothes, and make pockets for us. None of us has any pockets.”
“而且你可以为我们补衣服,给我们做口袋。我们没有口袋。”

How could she resist. “Of course it’s awfully fascinating!” she cried. —
她怎么能抗拒。“当然,这太有趣了!”她喊道。 —

“Peter, would you teach John and Michael to fly too?”
“彼得,你能教约翰和迈克尔飞吗?”

“If you like,” he said indifferently, and she ran to John and Michael and shook them. —
“如果你愿意,”他漠不关心地说,她跑向约翰和迈克尔,摇醒他们。 —

“Wake up,” she cried, “Peter Pan has come and he is to teach us to fly.”
“醒来,”她喊道,“彼得·潘来了,他要教我们飞。”

John rubbed his eyes. “Then I shall get up,” he said. —
约翰揉了揉眼睛。“那我要起床了,”他说。 —

Of course he was on the floor already. “Hallo,” he said, “I am up!”
当然,他已经在地板上了。“你好,”他说,“我起来了!”

Michael was up by this time also, looking as sharp as a knife with six blades and a saw, but Peter suddenly signed silence. —
迈克尔这时也起床了,看起来像一把带有六个刀片和一个锯齿的尖刀,但彼得突然示意安静。 —

Their faces assumed the awful craftiness of children listening for sounds from the grown-up world. —
他们的脸上浮现出孩子们偷听成人世界声音时的阴险之态。 —

All was as still as salt. Then everything was right. No, stop! Everything was wrong. —
一切都静得像盐一样。然后一切都对了。不,停下!一切都错了。 —

Nana, who had been barking distressfully all the evening, was quiet now. —
娜娜整晚都在痛苦地吠叫,现在却安静下来了。 —

It was her silence they had heard.
他们听到的是她的沉默。

“Out with the light! Hide! Quick!” cried John, taking command for the only time throughout the whole adventure. —
“关灯!躲起来!快!” 约翰大声喊道,这是他在整个冒险中唯一一次发号施令。 —

And thus when Liza entered, holding Nana, the nursery seemed quite its old self, very dark, and you would have sworn you heard its three wicked inmates breathing angelically as they slept. —
当丽莎带着娜娜进来时,托着脑袋,托着她的肩膀,托着她的脖子,托着她的臂膀,托着她的手腕,托着她的脚踝,托着她的脚尖,托着她的指尖,托着她的指甲边缘,托着她的内脏,托着她脑袋上的每一根头发,托着她的肌肉。托皮肤与骨骼… 托了她等等的一切事物。幼儿园似乎恢复了它的古老自己,非常黑暗,你会发誓你听见它的三个邪恶的囚徒在天使般的呼吸中睡着了。 —

They were really doing it artfully from behind the window curtains.
他们确实在窗帘后面巧妙地做着这件事。

Liza was in a bad temper, for she was mixing the Christmas puddings in the kitchen, and had been drawn from them, with a raisin still on her cheek, by Nana’s absurd suspicions. —
丽莎脾气不好,因为她正在厨房里调制圣诞布丁,而娜娜的荒谬猜疑把她从布丁中分心了,她的脸上还带着一颗葡萄干。 —

She thought the best way of getting a little quiet was to take Nana to the nursery for a moment, but in custody of course.
她觉得获得一点安静的最好办法就是带娜娜去幼儿园一会儿,当然是在她的押解下。

“There, you suspicious brute,” she said, not sorry that Nana was in disgrace. —
“瞧你这个多疑的畜生,” 她说,对娜娜受到谴责并不感到遗憾。 —

“They are perfectly safe, aren’t they? —
“它们是完全安全的,不是吗? —

Every one of the little angels sound asleep in bed. —
每一个小天使都在床上熟睡。 —

Listen to their gentle breathing.”
听着它们温柔的呼吸。”

Here Michael, encouraged by his success, breathed so loudly that they were nearly detected. —
在这里,迈克尔因为自己的成功而喘得很大声,差点就被发现了。 —

Nana knew that kind of breathing, and she tried to drag herself out of Liza’s clutches.
娜娜知道那种呼吸声,她试图挣脱丽莎的控制。

But Liza was dense. “No more of it, Nana,” she said sternly, pulling her out of the room. —
但丽莎很固执。“别再叫了,娜娜,”她严厉地说着,把她拖出房间。 —

“I warn you if bark again I shall go straight for master and missus and bring them home from the party, and then, oh, won’t master whip you, just.”
“我警告你,如果你再叫一声,我会直接去找主人和夫人,把他们从晚会带回来,那时,哦,主人一定会打你的。”

She tied the unhappy dog up again, but do you think Nana ceased to bark? —
她再次把那个不快乐的狗束缚住,但你认为娜娜停止了吠叫吗? —

Bring master and missus home from the party! Why, that was just what she wanted. —
把主人和夫人从晚会带回来!哎呀,那正是她想要的。 —

Do you think she cared whether she was whipped so long as her charges were safe? —
你认为她在乎自己是否被打,只要她的职责安全就行了吗? —

Unfortunately Liza returned to her puddings, and Nana, seeing that no help would come from her, strained and strained at the chain until at last she broke it. —
不幸的是,丽莎又回到了她的布丁,娜娜看到她得不到帮助,就使劲地拉扯着链子,直到最后终于把它弄断了。 —

In another moment she had burst into the dining-room of 27 and flung up her paws to heaven, her most expressive way of making a communication. —
转眼间,她冲进了27号餐厅,举起前爪朝着天空,这是她最表达意思的方式。 —

Mr. and Mrs. Darling knew at once that something terrible was happening in their nursery, and without a good-bye to their hostess they rushed into the street.
达林先生和夫人立刻意识到,他们的儿童房发生了可怕的事情,没有向女主人道别,他们冲进了街道上。

But it was now ten minutes since three scoundrels had been breathing behind the curtains, and Peter Pan can do a great deal in ten minutes.
但此时距离三个恶棍在窗帘后呼吸已经过去十分钟,十分钟对于彼得潘来说是非常长的时间。

We now return to the nursery.
现在我们回到了儿童房。

“It’s all right,” John announced, emerging from his hiding-place. —
“没事了,”约翰从藏身处走出来宣布。 —

“I say, Peter, can you really fly?”
“我说,彼得,你真的会飞吗?”

Instead of troubling to answer him Peter flew around the room, taking the mantelpiece on the way.
彼得没有费心回答他,而是飞到屋子里转了一圈,路上还顺便经过壁炉台。

“How topping!” said John and Michael.
“太棒了!”约翰和迈克尔说道。

“How sweet!” cried Wendy.
“太可爱了!”温迪叫起来。

“Yes, I’m sweet, oh, I am sweet!” said Peter, forgetting his manners again.
“是啊,我很可爱,哦,我真的很可爱!”彼得说道,又忘记了礼貌。

It looked delightfully easy, and they tried it first from the floor and then from the beds, but they always went down instead of up.
看起来非常容易,他们从地板上玩了起来,然后又从床上试了一次,但他们总是向下而不是向上飞去。

“I say, how do you do it?” asked John, rubbing his knee. He was quite a practical boy.
“我说,你是怎么做到的?”约翰问道,一边揉着膝盖。他是个非常实际的男孩。

“You just think lovely wonderful thoughts,” Peter explained, “and they lift you up in the air.”
“你只需要想着美好的奇妙事物,”彼得解释道,“它们会把你带到空中。”

He showed them again.
他再次向他们展示了一次。

“You’re so nippy at it,” John said, “couldn’t you do it very slowly once?”
“你做得太快了,”约翰说,“你能慢一点再做一次吗?”

Peter did it both slowly and quickly. “I’ve got it now, Wendy! —
彼得既慢又快地做了一次。“我明白了,温迪!” —

” cried John, but soon he found he had not. —
约翰喊道,但很快他发现他没有明白。 —

Not one of them could fly an inch, though even Michael was in words of two syllables, and Peter did not know A from Z.
他们中没有一个人能飞一英寸,尽管迈克尔的话都是两个音节,而且彼得连A到Z都不认识。

Of course Peter had been trifling with them, for no one can fly unless the fairy dust has been blown on him. —
当然,彼得一直在和他们开玩笑,因为除非被仙女粉末吹过,否则没有人能飞起来。 —

Fortunately, as we have mentioned, one of his hands was messy with it, and he blew some on each of them, with the most superb results.
幸运的是,就像我们之前提到的,他的一只手上沾满了粉末,他给每个人都吹了一些,效果非常好。

“Now just wiggle your shoulders this way,” he said, “and let go.”
“现在就抖动一下肩膀,”他说,“然后松开。”

They were all on their beds, and gallant Michael let go first. —
他们都在床上,勇敢的迈克尔首先松开了手。 —

He did not quite mean to let go, but he did it, and immediately he was borne across the room.
他并不是完全有意放手,但他还是这样做了,立刻就被带到了房间的另一边。

“I flewed!” he screamed while still in mid-air.
“我飞啦!”他在半空中大喊。

John let go and met Wendy near the bathroom.
约翰放开了手,和温迪在浴室附近相遇。

“Oh, lovely!”
“哦,太美妙了!”

“Oh, ripping!”
“哦,太棒了!”

“Look at me!”
“看着我!”

“Look at me!”
“看着我!”

“Look at me!”
“看着我!”

They were not nearly so elegant as Peter, they could not help kicking a little, but their heads were bobbing against the ceiling, and there is almost nothing so delicious as that. —
他们并不像彼得那样优雅,他们不由自主地踢了一下,但他们的头部却撞到了天花板上,几乎没有什么比这更美妙的了。 —

Peter gave Wendy a hand at first, but had to desist, Tink was so indignant.
起初,彼得帮温迪一把,但小叮当太愤怒了,所以彼得不得不停下来。

Up and down they went, and round and round. Heavenly was Wendy’s word.
他们上上下下、左左右右地转,温迪用“如天堂般”来形容。

“I say,” cried John, “why shouldn’t we all go out?”
“我说,”约翰叫道,“我们为什么不能都出去呢?”

Of course it was to this that Peter had been luring them.
当然,正是为此彼得才引诱了他们。

Michael was ready: he wanted to see how long it took him to do a billion miles. But Wendy hesitated.
迈克尔准备好了,他想看看自己要用多长时间才能跑完十亿英里。但温迪犹豫了。

“Mermaids!” said Peter again.
“美人鱼!”彼得又说了一遍。

“Oo!”
“哦!”

“And there are pirates.”
“而且还有海盗。”

“Pirates,” cried John, seizing his Sunday hat, “let us go at once.”
约翰大喊道:“海盗!”,抓起他的礼拜日帽子,“我们立刻去。”

It was just at this moment that Mr. and Mrs. Darling hurried with Nana out of 27. —
正在这时,达林先生和达林夫人带着纳娜匆匆走出27号门。 —

They ran into the middle of the street to look up at the nursery window; —
他们跑到街中央仰望着托儿所的窗户; —

and, yes, it was still shut, but the room was ablaze with light, and most heart-gripping sight of all, they could see in shadow on the curtain three little figures in night attire circling round and round, not on the floor but in the air.
的确,窗户还是关着的,但房间里亮如白昼,最令人心碎的是,他们可以看到影子在窗帘上,三个小人在夜衣中不在地板上而是在空中围绕着转。

Not three figures, four!
不是三个人,而是四个!

In a tremble they opened the street door. —
他们颤抖着打开了街门。 —

Mr. Darling would have rushed upstairs, but Mrs. Darling signed him to go softly. —
达林先生想冲上楼,但达林夫人示意他轻轻走。 —

She even tried to make her heart go softly.
她甚至试图让自己的心轻轻地跳动。

Will they reach the nursery in time? If so, how delightful for them, and we shall all breathe a sign of relief, but there will be no story. —
他们能及时到达托儿所吗?如果是这样,对他们来说多么美妙,我们都会松一口气,但故事就没有了。 —

On the other hand, if they are not in time, I solemnly promise that it will all come right in the end.
另一方面,如果他们来不及,我郑重承诺,最后一切都会好起来。

They would have reached the nursery in time had it not been that the little stars were watching them. Once again the stars blew the window open, and that smallest star of all called out:
如果不是小星星在看着他们,他们早就赶到了育儿室。小星星们再次吹开了窗户,最小的一颗小星星喊道:

“Cave, Peter!”
“洞穴,彼得!”

Then Peter knew that there was not a moment to lose. —
彼得立刻知道再没有时间可以浪费了。 —

“Come,” he cried imperiously, and soared out at once into the night, followed by John and Michael and Wendy.
“来吧,”他威严地叫道,立刻在黑夜中飞出去,约翰、迈克尔和温迪紧随其后。

Mr. and Mrs. Darling and Nana rushed into the nursery too late. The birds were flown.
达林先生和达林夫人还有娜娜都冲进育儿室,但已经太晚了,小鸟们已经飞走了。