The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence:
毛毛虫和爱丽丝默默地注视着彼此: —

at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.
最后,毛毛虫把水烟袋从嘴里拿出来,用一种慵懒的、困倦的声音对她说道。

“Who are you?” said the Caterpillar.
“你是谁?”毛毛虫说道。

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.
这并不是一个令人鼓舞的对话开头。 —

Alice replied, rather shyly, “I—I hardly know, sir, just at present—at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.”
爱丽丝害羞地回答道:“嗯,我、我不太清楚,先生,就目前来说——至少我知道在今天早上起床时我是谁,但我想自那之后我可能变了好几次。”

“What do you mean by that?
“你是什么意思? —

” said the Caterpillar sternly.
”毛毛虫严肃地说道, —

“Explain yourself!”
“解释清楚!”

“I can’t explain myself, I’m afraid, sir, ” said Alice, “because I’m not myself, you see.”
“我恐怕无法解释清楚我的自己,爱丽丝说道,“因为,你瞧,我已经不是我自己了。”

“I don’t see,” said the Caterpillar.
“我不明白,”毛毛虫说道。

“I’m afraid I can’t put it more clearly, ” Alice replied very politely, “for I can’t understand it myself to begin with;
“恐怕我无法更清楚地表达了,”爱丽丝非常客气地回答道,“首先,我自己也无法理解; —

and being so many different sizes in a day is very confusing.”
而且一天之内变换这么多不同的尺寸真的很令人困惑。“

“It isn’t,” said the Caterpillar.
“不对,”毛毛虫说道。

“Well, perhaps you haven’t found it so yet, ” said Alice;
“也许你还没有这样觉得,”爱丽丝说; —

“but when you have to turn into a chrysalis—you will some day, you know—and then after that into a butterfly, I should think you’ll feel it a little queer, won’t you?”
“但当你必须变成蛹的时候——你总有一天会变的,知道吗?然后再变成蝴蝶,我想你会觉得有点奇怪,对吗?”

“Not a bit,” said the Caterpillar.
毛虫说:“一点都不会。”

“Well, perhaps your feelings may be different, ” said Alice; “all I know is, it would feel very queer to me.”
“也许你的感觉会不同,”爱丽丝说:“我所知道的是,对我来说会觉得非常奇怪。”

“You!” said the Caterpillar contemptuously.
毛虫轻蔑地说:“你是谁? —

“Who are you?

Which brought them back again to the beginning of the conversation.
这又把他们带回了对话的开始。 —

Alice felt a little irritated at the Caterpillar’s making such very short remarks, and she drew herself up and said, very gravely, “I think, you ought to tell me who you are, first.”
毛虫说了几句非常简短的话,爱丽丝有点生气,她挺直身体,严肃地说:“我认为,你应该先告诉我你是谁。”

“Why?” said the Caterpillar.
毛虫问:“为什么?”

Here was another puzzling question;
这又是一个令人费解的问题; —

and as Alice could not think of any good reason, and as the Caterpillar seemed to be in a very unpleasant state of mind, she turned away.
爱丽丝想不出任何好理由,毛虫又显得非常不悦,于是她转身离开。

“Come back!” the Caterpillar called after her. “I’ve something important to say!”
“回来!”毛毛虫在她后面喊道。“我有重要的事要说!”

This sounded promising, certainly:
这听起来很有希望: —

Alice turned and came back again.
爱丽丝转身又回来了。

“Keep your temper,” said the Caterpillar.
“保持你的脾气”,毛毛虫说。

“Is that all?” said Alice, swallowing down her anger as well as she could.
“就这些吗?”爱丽丝尽量咽下她的怒火。

“No,” said the Caterpillar.
“不,”毛毛虫说。

Alice thought she might as well wait, as she had nothing else to do, and perhaps after all it might tell her something worth hearing.
爱丽丝觉得她不妨等待一下,因为她也没有其他事可做,而且也许它会告诉她一些值得听的东西。 —

For some minutes it puffed away without speaking, but at last it unfolded its arms, took the hookah out of its mouth again, and said, “So you think you’re changed, do you?”
几分钟里,毛毛虫一言不发地吸着水烟袋,但最后它展开了胳膊,再次把水烟袋拿出嘴巴,说道,“你觉得自己变了,对吗?”

“I’m afraid I am, sir,” said Alice;
“我怕是变了,先生,”爱丽丝说。 —

“I can’t remember things as I used—and I don’t keep the same size for ten minutes together!”
“我记不住以前那样的事情了,而且我大小也不会持续十分钟!”

“Can’t remember what things?
“记不住什么事情? —

” said the Caterpillar.
”毛毛虫问道。

“Well, I’ve tried to say “How doth the little busy bee, ” but it all came different!
“嗯,我尝试说过‘小忙碌的蜜蜂该如何’,但结果完全不同! —

” Alice replied in a very melancholy voice.
”爱丽丝用非常忧郁的声音回答道。

“Repeat, “You are old, Father William,’” said the Caterpillar.
“重复,“你已年老,威廉父亲,”毛毛虫说道。

Alice folded her hands, and began:—
爱丽丝合起双手,开始说道:“

“You are old, Father William, ” the young man said, “And your hair has become very white;
“你已年老,威廉父亲,”年轻人说道,“你的头发已经变得非常白; —

And yet you incessantly stand on your head— Do you think, at your age, it is right?”
你却频频倒立——你认为,在你这个年纪,这样做合适吗?”

“In my youth,” Father William replied to his son, “I feared it might injure the brain;
“年轻时候,”威廉父亲回答他的儿子说道,“我担心它可能会损害大脑; —

But, now that I’m perfectly sure I have none, Why, I do it again and again.”
但是,现在我完全确信我没有大脑,为什么我还要一次又一次地这么做呢?”

“You are old,” said the youth, “as I mentioned before, And have grown most uncommonly fat;
“你已经年老,”年轻人说道,“就像我之前提到的那样,而且变得异常肥胖; —

Yet you turned a back-somersault in at the door— Pray, what is the reason of that?”
但是你却能倒立进门——请问,这是什么原因呢?”

“In my youth,” said the sage, as he shook his grey locks, “I kept all my limbs very supple By the use of this ointment—one shilling the box— Allow me to sell you a couple?”
“年轻时候,”智者说道,他摇着灰白的头发,“我通过使用这种药膏保持了我的四肢非常灵活——一盒一先令——请允许我出售给你两盒?”

“You are old,” said the youth, “and your jaws are too weak For anything tougher than suet;
“你已经年老,”年轻人说道,“而且你的下颚太弱了,连牛油都咬不动; —

Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the beak— Pray, how did you manage to do it?”
然而,你完成了鹅,带着骨头和喙—请问,你是怎样做到的?

“In my youth,” said his father, “I took to the law, And argued each case with my wife;
“在我的年轻时代,”他的父亲说道,“我选择了法律,与妻子争论每个案件; —

And the muscular strength, which it gave to my jaw, Has lasted the rest of my life.”
它给了我颚骨肌肉力量,一直持续到了今天。”

“You are old,” said the youth, “one would hardly suppose That your eye was as steady as ever;
“你年纪大了,”年轻人说,“人们很难相信你的眼神依然如此稳定; —

Yet you balanced an eel on the end of your nose— What made you so awfully clever?”
然而你可以在鼻子尖上平衡一条鳝鱼—那是什么让你如此聪明?”

“I have answered three questions, and that is enough,” Said his father;
“我已经回答了三个问题,那已经足够了,”他的父亲说道, —

“don’t give yourself airs!
“别自作聪明! —

Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?
你以为我可以整天听这种废话吗?滚开, —

Be off, or I’ll kick you down stairs!”
否则我会把你踢下楼梯!”

“That is not said right, ” said the Caterpillar.
“那说得不对,”毛毛虫说道。

“Not quite right, I’m afraid, ” said Alice, timidly;
“不完全正确,恐怕是,”艾丽丝小心翼翼地说, —

“some of the words have got altered.”
“一些词语有所改变。”

“It is wrong from beginning to end, ” said the Caterpillar decidedly, and there was silence for some minutes.
“从头到尾都是错的,”毛毛虫断然说道,片刻的沉默随之而来。

The Caterpillar was the first to speak.
毛毛虫首先开口了。

“What size do you want to be?” it asked.
它问道:“你想要变成什么大小?”

“Oh, I’m not particular as to size, ” Alice hastily replied;
爱丽丝匆忙回答:“哦,我对大小没什么特别要求, —

“only one doesn’t like changing so often, you know.”
只是你知道,人总是不喜欢经常改变。”

“I don’t know,” said the Caterpillar.
“我可不知道,”毛毛虫说。

Alice said nothing: she had never been so much contradicted in her life before, and she felt that she was losing her temper.
爱丽丝什么也没说:她从来没有被人这样反驳过,她感觉到自己正在发火。

“Are you content now?” said the Caterpillar.
毛毛虫说:“你现在满意了吗?”

“Well, I should like to be a little larger, sir, if you wouldn’t mind,” said Alice:
“嗯,如果您不介意的话,先生,我希望能稍微大一点点,”爱丽丝说: —

“three inches is such a wretched height to be.”
“三英寸真是一个可怜的身高。”

“It is a very good height indeed!
“三英寸的身高非常好! —

” said the Caterpillar angrily, rearing itself upright as it spoke (it was exactly three inches high).
”毛毛虫生气地说着,一边直起身来(它正好是三英寸高)。

“But I’m not used to it!
“可我不习惯! —

” pleaded poor Alice in a piteous tone.
”可怜的爱丽丝可怜地请求道。 —

And she thought of herself, “I wish the creatures wouldn’t be so easily offended!”
然后她想着自己,“我希望这些生物不要这么容易生气!”

“You’ll get used to it in time, ” said the Caterpillar;
“你会习惯的,时间会让你适应的。”毛毛虫说着, —

and it put the hookah into its mouth and began smoking again.
它把水烟斗放到嘴里又开始吸烟了。

This time Alice waited patiently until it chose to speak again.
这次,爱丽丝耐心地等待着,直到它选择再次开口。 —

In a minute or two the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth and yawned once or twice, and shook itself.
过了一两分钟,毛毛虫把水烟袋从嘴里拿出来,打了一两个哈欠,然后摇了摇身子。 —

Then it got down off the mushroom, and crawled away in the grass, merely remarking as it went, “One side will make you grow taller, and the other side will make you grow shorter.”
然后它从蘑菇上下来,在草地上爬行,只是顺便说了一句:“一边能让你长得更高,另一边能让你长得更矮。”

“One side of _what?
“一边的什么? —

_ The other side of _what?
另一边的什么? —

_” thought Alice to herself.
” 爱丽丝心里想着。

“Of the mushroom,” said the Caterpillar, just as if she had asked it aloud;
“蘑菇的一边,”毛毛虫回答道,就好像她刚刚大声问了一样; —

and in another moment it was out of sight.
一转眼,它就消失了。

Alice remained looking thoughtfully at the mushroom for a minute, trying to make out which were the two sides of it;
爱丽丝困惑地望着蘑菇,试图弄清楚它的两边是哪一边; —

and as it was perfectly round, she found this a very difficult question.
但是蘑菇是完全圆的,这是一个非常困难的问题。 —

However, at last she stretched her arms round it as far as they would go, and broke off a bit of the edge with each hand.
不过最后她伸直双臂尽可能地围住它,用每只手掰下了一小块边缘。

“And now which is which?” she said to herself, and nibbled a little of the right-hand bit to try the effect:
“那现在哪边是哪边?”她自言自语地说道,然后尝了一口右边的一小块,试试效果。 —

the next moment she felt a violent blow underneath her chin:
下一刻,她觉得下巴下面传来一记猛烈的一击: —

it had struck her foot!
它打在了她的脚上!

She was a good deal frightened by this very sudden change, but she felt that there was no time to be lost, as she was shrinking rapidly;
这突然的变化吓坏了她,但她感到时间紧迫,因为她正在迅速缩小; —

so she set to work at once to eat some of the other bit.
所以她立刻开始吃掉其他一小块。 —

Her chin was pressed so closely against her foot, that there was hardly room to open her mouth;
她的下巴紧紧贴在脚上,几乎没有空间张开嘴巴; —

but she did it at last, and managed to swallow a morsel of the lefthand bit.
但她终于做到了,并设法吞下了一小口左手的一块。

“Come, my head’s free at last!
“来吧,我的头终于自由了!” —

” said Alice in a tone of delight, which changed into alarm in another moment, when she found that her shoulders were nowhere to be found:
爱丽丝高兴的说道。但转眼间,她发现她的肩膀不见了: —

all she could see, when she looked down, was an immense length of neck, which seemed to rise like a stalk out of a sea of green leaves that lay far below her.
当她低头看时,她所能看到的只有一片巨大的脖子,它似乎像一根茎一样从遥远的绿叶海中升起。

“What can all that green stuff be?
“所有那些绿色的东西是什么?” —

” said Alice. “And where have my shoulders got to?
爱丽丝说道。”我的肩膀去哪了?哦, —

And oh, my poor hands, how is it I can’t see you?
我的可怜的手,为什么我看不见你们?” —

” She was moving them about as she spoke, but no result seemed to follow, except a little shaking among the distant green leaves.
“她一边说着,一边把它们挪来挪去,但似乎没有任何结果,除了远处绿叶中的轻微摇动。”

As there seemed to be no chance of getting her hands up to her head, she tried to get her head down to them, and was delighted to find that her neck would bend about easily in any direction, like a serpent.
“因为她似乎没办法将手放到头上,她试图将头弯下去,非常高兴地发现她的脖子可以轻松地向任何方向弯曲,就像一条蛇。” —

She had just succeeded in curving it down into a graceful zigzag, and was going to dive in among the leaves, which she found to be nothing but the tops of the trees under which she had been wandering, when a sharp hiss made her draw back in a hurry:
“当她刚刚成功地将头弯成一个优雅的锯齿形状,并准备潜入那些叶子之中时,一声尖锐的嘶声让她急忙退后。” —

a large pigeon had flown into her face, and was beating her violently with its wings.
“一只大鸽子飞到她的脸上,用翅膀猛烈地拍打着她。”

“Serpent!” screamed the Pigeon.
“蛇!”鸽子尖叫道。

“I’m not a serpent!
“我不是蛇! —

” said Alice indignantly.
”爱丽丝愤怒地说道。 —

“Let me alone!”
“放开我!”

“Serpent, I say again!” repeated the Pigeon, but in a more subdued tone, and added with a kind of sob, “I’ve tried every way, and nothing seems to suit them!”
“再说一遍,蛇!”鸽子重复道,声音更加低沉,并带着一种哽咽的口吻说道,“我尝试了各种方法,似乎什么都不适合它们!”

“I haven’t the least idea what you’re talking about, ” said Alice.
“我完全不知道你在说什么,”爱丽丝说。

“I’ve tried the roots of trees, and I’ve tried banks, and I’ve tried hedges, ” the Pigeon went on, without attending to her;
“我试过树根,试过河岸,试过树篱,”鸽子继续说道,不注意她的话; —

“but those serpents!
“但那些蛇! —

There’s no pleasing them!”
根本无法取悦它们!”

Alice was more and more puzzled, but she thought there was no use in saying anything more till the Pigeon had finished.
爱丽丝越来越困惑,但她觉得在鸽子说完之前没必要再说什么。

“As if it wasn’t trouble enough hatching the eggs, ” said the Pigeon;
“孵蛋本就够麻烦的了,”鸽子说道; —

“but I must be on the look-out for serpents night and day!
“我还得日夜提防蛇的出现! —

Why, I haven’t had a wink of sleep these three weeks!”
哎呀,这三个星期我根本没合过眼!”

“I’m very sorry you’ve been annoyed, ” said Alice, who was beginning to see its meaning.
“很抱歉你一直受到打扰,”爱丽丝说道,她开始明白它的意思了。

“And just as I’d taken the highest tree in the wood, ” continued the Pigeon, raising its voice to a shriek, “and just as I was thinking I should be free of them at last, they must needs come wriggling down from the sky!
“就在我占领了树林中最高的树之时,”鸽子继续喊叫道,“就在我觉得终于可以摆脱它们的时候,它们非得从天上蠕动下来!呸, —

Ugh, Serpent!”
蛇!”

“But I’m not a serpent, I tell you!
“但是我告诉你,我不是一条蛇!”爱丽丝说。 —

” said Alice. “I’m a—I’m a—”
“我是一个——我是一个——”

“Well! What are you?” said the Pigeon.
“嗯!你是什么?”鸽子说。 —

“I can see you’re trying to invent something!”
“我能看出你在努力发明什么!”

“I—I’m a little girl,” said Alice, rather doubtfully, as she remembered the number of changes she had gone through that day.
“我——我是一个小女孩,”爱丽丝有些怀疑地说道,她记得她那一天经历了多少变化。

“A likely story indeed!
“真是一个可信的故事! —

” said the Pigeon in a tone of the deepest contempt.
”鸽子以鄙视的语气说道。 —

“I’ve seen a good many little girls in my time, but never one with such a neck as that!
“我见过很多小女孩,但从来没有一个像你这样有这么长的脖子!不, —

No, no! You’re a serpent;
不!你是一条蛇; —

and there’s no use denying it.
无需否认。 —

I suppose you’ll be telling me next that you never tasted an egg!”
我猜你接下来可能会告诉我你从未品尝过蛋!”

“I have tasted eggs, certainly, ” said Alice, who was a very truthful child;
“我当然吃过蛋,”爱丽丝说,她是一个非常诚实的孩子; —

“but little girls eat eggs quite as much as serpents do, you know.”
“但是小女孩和蛇一样经常吃蛋的,你知道。”

“I don’t believe it,” said the Pigeon;
“我不相信,”鸽子说。 —

“but if they do, why then they’re a kind of serpent, that’s all I can say.”
“但如果他们吃的话,那么他们就是一种蛇,这就是我能说的。”

This was such a new idea to Alice, that she was quite silent for a minute or two, which gave the Pigeon the opportunity of adding, “You’re looking for eggs, I know that well enough;
这个新想法对于爱丽丝来说是如此的新奇,以至于她沉默了一两分钟,这给了鸽子机会补充道,“我很清楚你在找鸟蛋; —

and what does it matter to me whether you’re a little girl or a serpent?”
对于我来说,你是个小女孩还是一条蛇有何关系呢?”

“It matters a good deal to me, ” said Alice hastily;
“对于我来说很关系大,”爱丽丝急忙说道; —

“but I’m not looking for eggs, as it happens;
“但恰巧我并不是在找鸟蛋; —

and if I was, I shouldn’t want yours: I don’t like them raw.”
即使我找,也不会要你的:我不喜欢生的鸟蛋。”

“Well, be off, then!
“好吧,那就滚开! —

” said the Pigeon in a sulky tone, as it settled down again into its nest.
”鸽子生气地说道,然后它又安静地在巢里舒服地躺下来。 —

Alice crouched down among the trees as well as she could, for her neck kept getting entangled among the branches, and every now and then she had to stop and untwist it.
爱丽丝尽力地蹲在树丛中,因为她的脖子经常被树枝缠住,不时地她不得不停下来解开。 —

After a while she remembered that she still held the pieces of mushroom in her hands, and she set to work very carefully, nibbling first at one and then at the other, and growing sometimes taller and sometimes shorter, until she had succeeded in bringing herself down to her usual height.
过了一会儿,她记起自己仍然握着那些蘑菇片,于是小心翼翼地开始行动,先啃一口这个,再啃一口那个,有时变高有时变矮,直到成功将自己恢复到了平常的身高。

It was so long since she had been anything near the right size, that it felt quite strange at first;
距离她变成正常尺寸已经太久了,刚开始的时候感觉相当奇怪; —

but she got used to it in a few minutes, and began talking to herself, as usual. “Come, there’s half my plan done now!
但只用了几分钟,她就习惯了,并且像往常一样开始和自己说话。“好了,这算是完成了一半的计划! —

How puzzling all these changes are!
这些变化真令人头疼! —

I’m never sure what I’m going to be, from one minute to another! However, I’ve got back to my right size:
我从一分钟到另一分钟永远都不确定自己会变成什么样!不过,现在我又恢复到了正常尺寸。 —

the next thing is, to get into that beautiful garden—how is that to be done, I wonder?
下一件事是,如何进入那个美丽的花园——我想知道应该怎么做? —

” As she said this, she came suddenly upon an open place, with a little house in it about four feet high.
”她说着,突然来到一个空地,里面有一个约四英尺高的小房子。 —

“Whoever lives there,” thought Alice, “it’ll never do to come upon them this size: why, I should frighten them out of their wits!
“无论住在那里的是谁,”爱丽丝想道,“以我这样的身高过去是绝对不行的:哼,我会把他们吓个半死!” —

” So she began nibbling at the righthand bit again, and did not venture to go near the house till she had brought herself down to nine inches high.
于是她又开始啃起右边的小块,直到自己变得只有九英寸高才敢靠近那栋房子。