They were indeed a queer-looking party that assembled on the bank—the birds with draggled feathers, the animals with their fur clinging close to them, and all dripping wet, cross, and uncomfortable.
他们确实是一个怪模怪样的聚会,站在河岸上的鸟群羽毛蓬乱,动物们的皮毛紧紧附着在身上,全身湿漉漉的,心烦意乱和不舒服。

The first question of course was, how to get dry again:
当然,第一个问题是如何再次变干:他们商量了一下, —

they had a consultation about this, and after a few minutes it seemed quite natural to Alice to find herself talking familiarly with them, as if she had known them all her life.
几分钟后,爱丽丝似乎觉得很自然地和他们亲切地交谈,好像她一辈子都认识他们一样。 —

Indeed, she had quite a long argument with the Lory, who at last turned sulky, and would only say, “I am older than you, and must know better;
事实上,她和朱鹮展开了一场长时间的争论,最后朱鹮生气了,只说了一句,“我比你大,应该知道得更多; —

” and this Alice would not allow without knowing how old it was, and, as the Lory positively refused to tell its age, there was no more to be said.
“而且爱丽丝不能不知道它到底有多大岁数,因为朱鹮坚决拒绝透露自己的年龄,于是再也没有什么可说的了。

At last the Mouse, who seemed to be a person of authority among them, called out, “Sit down, all of you, and listen to me!
最后,老鼠,似乎是他们中间的权威人物,喊道,“你们都坐下,听我说! —

I’ll soon make you dry enough!
“我会很快让你们都干燥起来! —

” They all sat down at once, in a large ring, with the Mouse in the middle.
”他们立刻都坐下来,在一个大环形中,老鼠站在中间。 —

Alice kept her eyes anxiously fixed on it, for she felt sure she would catch a bad cold if she did not get dry very soon.
艾丽丝焦急地盯着它,因为她确信如果不尽快弄干,她会感冒。

“Ahem!” said the Mouse with an important air, “are you all ready?
“咳咳!”老鼠以一副重要的样子说道,“你们都准备好了吗? —

This is the driest thing I know.
这是我所知道的最干燥的东西。 —

Silence all round, if you please!
请保持安静! —

‘William the Conqueror, whose cause was favoured by the pope, was soon submitted to by the English, who wanted leaders, and had been of late much accustomed to usurpation and conquest.
‘威廉征服者因教皇的支持而很快被英国人接受,他们需要领袖,而且最近习惯了篡夺和征服。 —

Edwin and Morcar, the earls of Mercia and Northumbria—’”
埃德温和莫尔卡,麦西亚和诺森布里亚的伯爵——’”

“Ugh!” said the Lory, with a shiver.
“呃!”罗瑞颤抖着说道。

“I beg your pardon!” said the Mouse, frowning, but very politely:
“请您原谅!”老鼠生气地说道,但非常有礼貌: —

“Did you speak?”
“你刚才说了什么吗?”

“Not I!” said the Lory hastily.
“我没说!”罗瑞急忙说道。

“I thought you did, ” said the Mouse. “—I proceed.
“我以为你说了,”老鼠说道,“我继续。 —

‘Edwin and Morcar, the earls of Mercia and Northumbria, declared for him:
‘埃德温和莫尔卡,麦西亚和诺森布里亚的伯爵,支持了他: —

and even Stigand, the patriotic archbishop of Canterbury, found it advisable—’”
甚至是爱国的坎特伯雷大主教斯蒂甘也发现这是明智的——’”

“Found what?” said the Duck.
“发现了什么?”鸭子说道。

“Found it,” the Mouse replied rather crossly:
“‘找到它了,’”老鼠有点生气地回答道, —

“of course you know what ‘it’ means.”
“你当然知道‘它’的意思。”

“I know what ‘it’ means well enough, when I find a thing, ” said the Duck:
“当我找到一样东西时,我很清楚‘它’是什么意思,”鸭子说道。 —

“it’s generally a frog or a worm.
“我很清楚‘它’的意思,当我找到东西时, —

The question is, what did the archbishop find?”
通常是一只青蛙或一条蠕虫。问题是,大主教找到了什么东西?”

The Mouse did not notice this question, but hurriedly went on, “‘—found it advisable to go with Edgar Atheling to meet William and offer him the crown.
老鼠没有注意到这个问题,匆忙接着说道,“‘——发现陪伴埃德加与威廉见面并向他提供皇冠是明智之举。 —

William’s conduct at first was moderate.
威廉一开始的行为比较温和。 —

But the insolence of his Normans—’ How are you getting on now, my dear?
但是他的诺曼人的傲慢——”亲爱的,你现在过得怎么样? —

” it continued, turning to Alice as it spoke.
它说着话时转向爱丽丝。

“As wet as ever,” said Alice in a melancholy tone:
“我还是湿透了,”爱丽丝以忧郁的语气说道, —

“it doesn’t seem to dry me at all.”
“它似乎一点也没能把我弄干。”

“In that case,” said the Dodo solemnly, rising to its feet, “I move that the meeting adjourn, for the immediate adoption of more energetic remedies—”
“既然这样,”多多郑重其事地站起身来说道,“我建议会议休会,马上采纳更有力的解决方案。”

“Speak English!” said the Eaglet.
“小鸟”说:“说英语! —

“I don’t know the meaning of half those long words, and, what’s more, I don’t believe you do either!
” “我不知道那些长词的意思,而且,更重要的是,我不相信你也不知道!” —

” And the Eaglet bent down its head to hide a smile:
“小鸟”低下头,掩饰着笑容: —

some of the other birds tittered audibly.
“其他一些鸟儿纷纷窃笑。”

“What I was going to say, ” said the Dodo in an offended tone, “was, that the best thing to get us dry would be a Caucus-race.”
“多多鸟”生气地说:“我要说的是,让我们干燥的最好办法是举行一个选举会议。”

“What is a Caucus-race?” said Alice;
“什么是选举会议?” 爱丽丝问道; —

not that she wanted much to know, but the Dodo had paused as if it thought that somebody ought to speak, and no one else seemed inclined to say anything.
倒不是她非常想知道,只是多多鸟停下来,好像它认为“某人”应该说话,而其他人似乎也不想说什么。

“Why,” said the Dodo, “the best way to explain it is to do it.
“多多鸟”说:“用行动来解释是最好的方式。” —

” (And, as you might like to try the thing yourself, some winter day, I will tell you how the Dodo managed it.)
“(而且,你可能想亲自尝试一下这件事,一个冬天的某一天,我会告诉你多多鸟是如何处理的。)”

First it marked out a race-course, in a sort of circle, (“the exact shape doesn’t matter,” it said, ) and then all the party were placed along the course, here and there.
首先,它在一种圆形的形状上划出了一条赛道,“形状不重要,”它说,而后将所有人都分别放置在赛道上的不同位置。 —

There was no “One, two, three, and away, ” but they began running when they liked, and left off when they liked, so that it was not easy to know when the race was over.
没有“一、二、三,开始” ,但是当他们想时就开始奔跑,想停时就停下来,因此很难知道比赛何时结束。 —

However, when they had been running half an hour or so, and were quite dry again, the Dodo suddenly called out “The race is over!
然而,跑了大约半小时,又都完全干了,渴望通过嘲弄结束时,渡渡鸟突然喊道:“比赛结束了!” —

” and they all crowded round it, panting, and asking, “But who has won?”
“但是谁赢了?”他们都围到渡渡鸟旁,喘着气问道。

This question the Dodo could not answer without a great deal of thought, and it sat for a long time with one finger pressed upon its forehead (the position in which you usually see Shakespeare, in the pictures of him), while the rest waited in silence.
渡渡鸟想了很久也不能回答这个问题,它用一根手指按在额头上(这是你通常在莎士比亚的画作中看到的姿势),其余人沉默地等待着。 —

At last the Dodo said, “Everybody has won, and all must have prizes.”
最后,渡渡鸟说:“_每个人都赢了,每个人都应该有奖品。”

“But who is to give the prizes?
“但是谁来颁发奖品? —

” quite a chorus of voices asked.
”一片声音问道。

“Why, she, of course,” said the Dodo, pointing to Alice with one finger;
“当然是她,”渡渡鸟指着爱丽丝说。 —

and the whole party at once crowded round her, calling out in a confused way, “Prizes! Prizes!”
整个团队都围着她,混乱地喊着,“奖品!奖品!”

Alice had no idea what to do, and in despair she put her hand in her pocket, and pulled out a box of comfits, (luckily the salt water had not got into it), and handed them round as prizes.
艾丽斯不知道该怎么办,在绝望中她把手伸进口袋,掏出一盒糖果,(幸运的是海水没有渗入),并把它们当作奖品分发。 —

There was exactly one a-piece, all round.
所有人都得到了一颗。

“But she must have a prize herself, you know,” said the Mouse.
“但是她自己也必须得到奖品,你知道的,”老鼠说道。

“Of course,” the Dodo replied very gravely.
“当然了,”渡渡鸟非常庄重地回答, —

“What else have you got in your pocket?
“你的口袋里还有什么东西? —

” he went on, turning to Alice.
”他转向艾丽斯问道。

“Only a thimble,” said Alice sadly.
“只有一个针套,”艾丽斯悲伤地说。

“Hand it over here,” said the Dodo.
“把它给我,”渡渡鸟说道。

Then they all crowded round her once more, while the Dodo solemnly presented the thimble, saying “We beg your acceptance of this elegant thimble;
然后他们又围过来,渡渡鸟庄重地递给了艾丽斯针套,说道:“我们恭请您收下这个优雅的针套; —

” and, when it had finished this short speech, they all cheered.
“说完这段短短的演讲后,他们都欢呼起来。

Alice thought the whole thing very absurd, but they all looked so grave that she did not dare to laugh;
艾丽斯觉得整件事很荒谬,但是他们看上去都很认真,她不敢笑; —

and, as she could not think of anything to say, she simply bowed, and took the thimble, looking as solemn as she could.
由于她想不出要说什么,她只是简单地鞠了一躬,接过了针套,尽量显得庄重。

The next thing was to eat the comfits:
接下来要吃糖果: —

this caused some noise and confusion, as the large birds complained that they could not taste theirs, and the small ones choked and had to be patted on the back.
这引起了一些噪音和混乱,因为大鸟抱怨说自己品尝不到味道,小鸟们噎住了,不得不拍打他们的背部。 —

However, it was over at last, and they sat down again in a ring, and begged the Mouse to tell them something more.
不过,最后终于吃完了,他们重新坐成一圈,请老鼠再给他们讲些东西。

“You promised to tell me your history, you know,” said Alice, “and why it is you hate—C and D, ” she added in a whisper, half afraid that it would be offended again.
“你答应要告诉我你的故事的,你知道的,”爱丽丝说,“以及你为什么恨- C和D,”她轻声补充道,半是担心它会再次生气。

“Mine is a long and a sad tale!
“我的是一个又长又悲伤的故事! —

” said the Mouse, turning to Alice, and sighing.
”老鼠转向爱丽丝说,并叹了口气。

“It is a long tail, certainly,” said Alice, looking down with wonder at the Mouse’s tail; “but why do you call it sad?
“确实是一个长长的尾巴。”爱丽丝惊奇地低头看着老鼠的尾巴说,“但你为什么说它是悲伤的呢? —

” And she kept on puzzling about it while the Mouse was speaking, so that her idea of the tale was something like this:—
”当老鼠在讲话的时候,她在思考着,以至于她对这个故事的理解就像是这样:

“Fury said to a mouse, That he met in the house, ‘Let us both go to law:
“狂怒对着一只老鼠说,他在屋子里遇见的,‘我们俩一起去打官司吧: —

I will prosecute you.
我要起诉你。” —

—Come, I’ll take no denial;
— 来吧,我不会接受任何拒绝; —

We must have a trial:
我们必须进行一次审判: —

For really this morning I’ve nothing to do.
因为今天上午我真的没有事情可做。 —

’ Said the mouse to the cur, ‘Such a trial, dear sir, With no jury or judge, would be wasting our breath.
‘老鼠对狗说,‘亲爱的先生,这样一场审判,没有陪审团或法官,只会浪费我们的时间。 —

’ ‘I’ll be judge, I’ll be jury,’ Said cunning old Fury:
‘我会充当法官,我会充当陪审团,’狡猾的老狐狸说: —

‘I’ll try the whole cause, and condemn you to death.’”
‘我将审理整个案件,并判你死刑。’”

“You are not attending!
“你在不注意! —

” said the Mouse to Alice severely.
”老鼠严厉地对爱丽丝说。 —

“What are you thinking of?”
“你在想什么?”

“I beg your pardon,” said Alice very humbly:
“请原谅我,”爱丽丝非常恭敬地说: —

“you had got to the fifth bend, I think?”
“你已经念到第五节了,我想是吗?”

“I had not!” cried the Mouse, sharply and very angrily.
“我没有!”老鼠尖锐地和非常生气地说。

“A knot!” said Alice, always ready to make herself useful, and looking anxiously about her. “Oh, do let me help to undo it!”
“一根结!”爱丽丝说,总是乐于帮忙,焦急地四处看着。“哦,让我帮你解开它!”

“I shall do nothing of the sort, ” said the Mouse, getting up and walking away.
“我绝不会这样做,”老鼠站起来走开。 —

“You insult me by talking such nonsense!”
“你说这种胡话是在侮辱我!”

“I didn’t mean it!
“我不是故意的! —

” pleaded poor Alice. “But you’re so easily offended, you know!”
”可怜的爱丽丝求情道。“可是你太容易生气了,你知道的!”

The Mouse only growled in reply.
小鼠只是嗥了一声回答。

“Please come back and finish your story!
“请回来把你的故事讲完! —

” Alice called after it;
”爱丽丝喊着。 —

and the others all joined in chorus, “Yes, please do!” but the Mouse only shook its head impatiently, and walked a little quicker.
其他人齐声加入:“是啊,请回来!”可是小鼠只是不耐烦地摇了摇头,走得更快了些。

“What a pity it wouldn’t stay!
小天使失踪之后, —

” sighed the Lory, as soon as it was quite out of sight;
长颈鸟叹了口气说:“真遗憾它不愿意停留!” —

and an old Crab took the opportunity of saying to her daughter “Ah, my dear! Let this be a lesson to you never to lose your temper!
一只老螃蟹趁机对她的女儿说:“啊,亲爱的!这可给你上了一课,以后别发脾气了!” —

” “Hold your tongue, Ma!
“闭嘴,妈! —

” said the young Crab, a little snappishly.
”小螃蟹有点刻薄地说道。 —

“You’re enough to try the patience of an oyster!”
“你真能忍住蛤蜊的耐心!”

“I wish I had our Dinah here, I know I do!
“要是我们的黛娜在这儿就好了, —

” said Alice aloud, addressing nobody in particular.
我知道!”爱丽丝大声地对着谁都不指的说。 —

“She’d soon fetch it back!”
“她肯定能把它找回来!”

“And who is Dinah, if I might venture to ask the question?
“如果我敢问一下,黛娜是谁? —

” said the Lory.
”长颈鸟说。

Alice replied eagerly, for she was always ready to talk about her pet:
爱丽丝兴奋地回答道,因为她总是乐于谈论自己的宠物: —

“Dinah’s our cat.
“迪娜是我们的猫。 —

And she’s such a capital one for catching mice you can’t think!
她是抓老鼠的高手,你想不到! —

And oh, I wish you could see her after the birds!
你要是能看到她抓鸟的样子就好了! —

Why, she’ll eat a little bird as soon as look at it!”
她看见小鸟就会立刻把它吃掉!”

This speech caused a remarkable sensation among the party.
这番话引起了一片轰动。 —

Some of the birds hurried off at once:
一些鸟儿立刻匆匆飞走: —

one old Magpie began wrapping itself up very carefully, remarking, “I really must be getting home;
一只老喜鹊非常小心地把自己包裹起来,说道:“我得回家了, —

the night-air doesn’t suit my throat!
晚上的空气不适合我的喉咙! —

” and a Canary called out in a trembling voice to its children, “Come away, my dears!
一只金丝雀颤抖着对它的孩子们喊道:“快走,亲爱的! —

It’s high time you were all in bed!
你们都该睡觉了! —

” On various pretexts they all moved off, and Alice was soon left alone.
”他们都找到了不同的借口离开了,很快爱丽丝就独自留下了。

“I wish I hadn’t mentioned Dinah!
“真希望我没有提到迪娜! —

” she said to herself in a melancholy tone.
”她以忧郁的语调自言自语道。 —

“Nobody seems to like her, down here, and I’m sure she’s the best cat in the world!
“这里似乎没有人喜欢她,可我确信她是世界上最好的猫!哦, —

Oh, my dear Dinah!
我亲爱的迪娜! —

I wonder if I shall ever see you any more!
“我想知道是否还会再见到你! —

” And here poor Alice began to cry again, for she felt very lonely and low-spirited.
”爱丽丝可怜巴巴地开始再次哭泣,因为她感到非常孤独和沮丧。 —

In a little while, however, she again heard a little pattering of footsteps in the distance, and she looked up eagerly, half hoping that the Mouse had changed his mind, and was coming back to finish his story.
然而不久之后,她再次听到了远处传来的小小脚步声,她急切地抬起头,半希望老鼠改变了主意,回来继续他的故事。